Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise - Brasserie Cantillon

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 11-03-2003

Reviews: 269 | Hads: 1,096
3.97/5  rDev -10.2%

2005 vintage on tap at the Malt House in Madison, WI on its opening night. $10 for a tulip glass.

Appearance: Raspberry vinegar colored dark pink. Beautiful color. No head and almost no bubbles. Flattish. Probably much better looking out of a bottle at least when reasonably young, or, as I have experienced with other kegged Cantillon, this may look better after a few chalices have been served and a few weeks in the keg have allowed this puppy to build a little carbonation. That may sound crazy but it's damn sure what happened to the last keg of Vigneronne I drank from.

Aroma: Huge aroma of raspberries and raspberry juice, plenty of lovely funk, barn yard notes, horse urine, acidic grape skins, very astringent.

Taste: Front is all raspberry and the back is all funk. Pretty cool flavors. The grape skin astringency comes through. The fruit is just magnificent and steady amounts of barnyard goodness beat upon the palate. Yum.

Mouthfeel: Very acidic and without carbonation this becomes hard to take in large doses. Still, it is not unbalanced and generally light to medium bodied. Carbonation would be a big improvement and I will be curious to try this in the bottle when I visit in Belgium in two months to see how it is different.

Drinkability: Not very good. This is a tough one to drink. The acid really gets to my tongue and throat in a much bigger way than most lambics have. I wouldn't want to many of these but again, this could be very different with a bottled version.

4.03/5  rDev -8.8%

God I love Cantillon. I'm counting down the days until the Spuyten Duyvil Brett Fest. 12 to go!

Label reads 2005. Cork 2007.

Pours a hazed ruby. Nose is funk. Flavor is sour indeed, but I find it more one-dimensional than I recall the Lou Pepe Kriek being. It's tart, it's slightly fruity, and that's about it. Carbonation has a bit of a bite to it. This is nice and drinkable, yes. You've gotta be ready for the lambic qualities (the sour) to enjoy it best. And like I said it's not quite complex like the Lou Pepe Kriek.

4.4/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml capped and corked bottle.

Appearance: Hazy bright red, very pretty stuff. The head rises about an inch and lasts a bit longer than the average lambic, but ultimately settles into a ring.

Smell: A good bit of complex funk blended nicely with raspberries and lemon juice.

Taste/mouthfeel: An exceptional tart raspberry flavor is the first thing that hits the palate with some buggy undertones beneath it. Bone-dry throughout, the sourness and acidity are strong but quite palatable. Raspberries come out even more in the finish, lingering on the tongue for several minutes between sips. The acidity does become a bit stomach-churning after a while with this one, which knocks it down a bit compared to many of Cantillon's other beers. A top notch framboise all the same.

3.95/5  rDev -10.6%

2004(label), 2006(cork) vintage courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a deep reddish color lambic with a nice white color bubbly head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of raspberry is dominant with some sour notes as well as some barnyard notes and a weird cough syrup-like finish. Taste is dry with some notes of sour raspberry and some limited acidic notes which I appreciated since I usually find the Cantillon lambic a bit too acid. Full body with some great carbonation. I thought this was really good but I good have done without the weird raspberry syrup-like aftertaste.

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a deep berry colored beer with a short pink head. Potent aroma of fresh tart raspberries over a bit of lemon and cotton candy. Tart, sour flavor. Mostly lemon up front with mildly sour raspberries towards the finish. This is definitely a sipper, unless you normally suck on lemons. Can sour go in the mouthfeel too? Besides sour there isn't any carbonation and the body is well... average? It's hard to say. It's a Lambic with raspberries, and I think the raspberries make it more drinkable. It's really hard to assign numbers to this one so take them with a grain of salt.

3.23/5  rDev -26.9%

O'briens had the 2005 on tap during CBC.

This a sour tart bomb that is more vinegar than anything, and it completely killed my palette.
It looked good, had a nice aroma of fruit and the CO2. Very very slight hint of the yeast.

However, the moment the Pepe hit the tongue I could feel it melting the taste buds. Complex fruit is immediately overwhelmed by the acidity. Almost an astringent/medicinal character. I love sour and wild beers but this was absolutely too much. Keg get heated up too much? I don't know.
I had to pass off the chalice after a few sips. It took several pieces of water crackers and a glass of water to cleanse my mouth. Probably good for cleaning stuff. Disappointing since I love everything else I have had from Cantillon.

3.93/5  rDev -11.1%

On-tap at Beachwood, 2005 Vintage,

A: Pours a vibrant, pure red colour, with a firm, though a little fizzy pink head, good lacing and retention.

S: Raspberry juice and horse blankets.

T: Tart raspberry juice with a surprising sweetness that I don't expect in Cantillon beers. The funk is there - it's on the lighter side, with an acetic finish.

M: Tart, acidic, dry for a fruit beer, spritzy carbonation.

D: A good lambic from Cantillon, didn't wow me like I expected it to, but a solid effort, would make an interesting dessert pairing.

4.82/5  rDev +9%

Vintage 2005.

Poured an translucent and hazy red with a large foamy pink head.

The aroma was bursting with fresh raspberries - what I'd describe as "jammy." Lots of brettanomyces barnyard funk and lactic acid.

The flavor was pretty tart and acidic. The fruit flavors wer very rich a full. Huge raspberry flavor. The beer had a clean biscuity and wheaty malt backbone (very subtle, but nice).

The carbonation was spritzy the mouthfeel was light and crisp.

This beer was incredibly refreshing, as are all Cantillons, and extremely drinkable.

One of the most intensely flavorful lambics I've had.

4.15/5  rDev -6.1%

750ml vintage 2005 bottle, bottling date of 11/2/07 served at cellar temperature in a gold rimmed Brooklyn flute glass for the New Year!

A - Poured a brilliant bright red, almost a hot pink color with a huge frothy and fizzy head of pink colored foam that rose up a good three fingers high from the top. Now that I think about it, this was a perfect rose color. Lots of carbonation could be seen through haze and cloudiness of it. This one left behind lots of side glass lace as well. Very nice presentation and about what I would have expected coming into this.

S - The aroma was highly tart and sour, and I mean highly tart and sour, almost had to kick my head back at the first sip. Big aromas of rasberry and just sour fruit in general. Lots of yeast here really made this thing come alive. As it warmed it just started to roll through some wonderful aromas of oak and would with hints of sugar mixed in for good balance. Very big smell here, very big and nice. I could literally pick this one up from across the room, it was just that strong.

T - The flavor was huge here. The very first sip set me back a bit as the sourness and tart rasberry flavors were on full display here. Really one of the more tart flavors I have seen. There were hints of the oak throughout it, but they were lighter then what you find in some of the oaked stouts and strong ales. Lots of yeast and a touch of sugar in and around the rasberry flavors, trying to lighten it up a bit. Nice depth to the flavor as it displayed several layers as it warmed. The finish was just as strong bringing with it a huge dried out sour finish that puckered your lips and made you have to go back and have another sip almost immediatly.

M - Very smooth and light bodied this was definitly a very nice lambic. There was loads of carbonation inside here really frothing over and showcasing the flavors perfectly. The overall feel was very crisp and clean, nothing doting around or getting too thin or too thick, but rather just right in the middle with a very nice overall feel to it.

D - This was definitly a sipper, not due to the high alcohol content or anything but mostly due simply to how sour this one was coming off. It was hard to take more then just a sip of this, but why would you want to this is one to really sit back and enjoy, to really savor each and every sip of.

Overall I thought this was a really nice brew. I have been getting into these more exotic belgians and this one just furthered my curiousity to delve further into them. It was a bit differnet then anything I had of the style before and this was a nice welcomed change. I would love to try this one again, though it is a tad pricey so we shall see.

4.37/5  rDev -1.1%

750ml bottle shared by Phatz for his sour beer tasting • 2004 Bottling • Poured into a taster

Appearance: Pours a ruby red color with a little bit of carbonation and some lacing. as with other lambics, plenty of clinging bubbless.

Smell: Funky, horseblanket of aromas, much like a barnyard. Raspberry and wood are very present as well.

Taste: Much like the smell, the taste is loaded with raspberry, in a tart way. There is minimal carbonation here, with cherry tartness that lurks around in my mouth.

Mouthfeel: Intensely tart and sour. You have to be ready for something like this before you go off playing around. Otherwise, the beer has a mellowing effect on myself and my senses. Sublime I guess you would call it.

Drinkability: Not an every day drinker by any means. This beer would best be served as an aperitif or perhaps a digestif depending on the meal and courses. This beer would get consumed more if it weren't for the heavy price tag.

4.27/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2002 bottling.
The first half of the bottle pours a clear, resonant, cherry juice brown, capped by a fizzy, sputtering head that dies away immediately like cola. Amazing color, very pretty. The remaining pours get steadily hazier, until the last dregs are an opaque, purplish, brick red mud. I wasn't that brave. The aroma is bitingly acidic, lightly tinted with raspberry essence. Funky and wild, with notes of aged swiss cheese and crabapple. Very complex and farmy. The flavor is immediately and unequivocally tart. Sour with just the slightest bit of give to keep your eyes from watering. The raspberry flavor comes through mostly in the end. It's sort of a raspberry apology for what your tastebuds just went through. Funky and wild through and through, very acidic with little in the way of sweetness or bitterness. Moldy and bacterial, with light cheesy sharpness and vinegar notes. Light on the tongue, with fizzy, energetic carbonation that carries the flavors well. Very challenging and unique. Delicious, but the sourness gets almost painful after half a bottle. Funny, because I recall easily splitting a bottle of the Fou'foune with the old lady, and that's one of their most intense. Something to share with a couple friends. Hopefully they chip in on the big pricetag, too!

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

Sampled on tap at Monk's Cafe before their New Belgium dinner. The beer poured a hazy bright red color with a slight carbonated body and a dull pink head. The nose was nice and funky as expected with some fresh raspberry notes. The taste was one of those nice pucker up tart tastes to be expected for a gem like Cantillon. The raspberries tasted so real and refreshing. Despite the tartness, this was a very easy drinking beer and had a nice peppery taste on the back end.

4.32/5  rDev -2.3%

It pours a rich fruit-punch red, with pinkish lights along the edges. Two fingers of light pink head swells at the tap but disappears to thin air by the time it gets to me. One single ring of lacing halos the dropping liquid.

The aroma is of the earth, with yeast and funk, horse and hay, wet and musty, and overseen by the lord of it all, the mighty fresh raspberry, both sweet and tart, but with an acidic blade that punches the fruit home.

Upon sipping, the dense earthiness again makes first play, with the sour funky attitude bouncing off the deep candied sweetness of the raspberries, with the result a densely tart, citric pucker, the cheeks sucked in, the tongue ravaged, and the nose wrinkled. The fading glory is more reminiscent of grapes, not quite vinous but stately as opposed to juicy. A distant florality graces the sour but prompt finish. It's fruity and might lead you to expect something more conservative, but woe is the one who believes that for even a moment, because it's a fine, sour saucy lambic.

Light of body, there's a sense of carbonation and a dry impression that clean the palate after each mouthful.

The guy I was with insisted on trying it, and far be it from me to dissuade him. The instant response was no way, this is not my kind of beer. My wife didn't like it. Some guy I didn't know asked me how I can drink it. I replied, with relish. More for me, lads and lassies, and for anyone who wants to enjoy a sour fruity back-to-the-soil basicness that gives a good lambic its soul. Granted, it takes a couple glasses of water to get my cheeks puffed back out where they belong, but what a wonderful sipper this is. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it is for me.

4.64/5  rDev +5%

A - Dark reddish pink. By the time it got to me it had almost no head, just a tiny ring of foam clinging to the wall of the glass.

S - Absolutely spectacular aroma. Complex earthyness and distinct wild yeast notes support an ideal raspberry fruitiness. Woody, with vanilla notes, and just a hint of the profound acidity that waits in the flavor. I couldn't stop swirling and smelling this one.

T - Strong acidity, as I have come to expect from Cantillion lambics. Many of the same earthy notes that are found in the aroma, followed by a dark, raspberry flavor. Some subtile vanilla as well.

M - Quite dry with fairly low carbonation.

D - Wonderfull beer, I had it by itself but it seems like it would be a great match for just about any dessert. That being said, it is hard to imagine drinking more than one glass of this beer.

4.37/5  rDev -1.1%

I picked up a 750ML bottle of Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise for $24 at State Line Liquors in Elkton MD. I had the opportunity to share it with phnphilly, Slatetank, Risser09, and gottajiboo2.

It was interesting. This was one of the first beers of the night and I thought wow this is really sour. Later when we came back to it. I really appreciated the deep rich fruit flavors and amount of depth that showed through all the intense funk in this beautiful beer.

Initially my wife thought she would like a raspberry beer. She didn't. This is not a transition beer. It is not a fruity for the timid. It is a serious sour done just right.

Appearance: Pours a red color with w fluffy white head that has hints of pink and finally fades to a pick color around that glass. Heavy lacing.

Smell: Raspberries galore. Bold tart raspberries absolutely sour and yet like putting your face in a plate full of squishy overripe berries. At the same time is is wine like, and certainly sour horse blanket musty leather old rotten wooden barrel aromas as well.

Taste: It is exactly like the nose but bigger now in the mouth with rich sour raspberries overripe grapes, lemon peels with an intense pucker effect like sucking on a lemon but it is a woody funky fruity flavor. MARVELOUS!

Mouthfeel: Sharp intense sour makes it a bit rough through the mouth at first but the aftertaste it so magnificent you rush right back into that bubbly babe of beer.

Drinkability: I've got drink it nice and easy but slow and steady wins the race every time, and though it may be a rough ride I enjoy every second of it. I repeat this is a fruit beer! It is a real Lambic with fruit.

Hope this is helpful.

4.35/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at the hopleaf.

Pours like a lambic. Dark Fruit Roll-Up red with a tiny white head and little patches of bubbly bubbles.

Smells like candied raspberries. It's nice, but there's no huge lambic presence like I was expecting, no yeast funk or anything.

Tastes.. YEE OW! Calm start, the candied raspberries of the nose. But then the back is this wonderful kick of sour deathfunk yeast and perfectly permented sweet and sour fruit and big bursts of heaven. Wonderful.

3.85/5  rDev -12.9%

Served in a Cantillon tumbler.

A: Very hazy bright pink with a small off white/light pink head.

S: Appealing smell of tart raspberries and not much else.

T: Very tart and refreshing with some mildy winey flavors.

M: Puckery, acidic, and white wine dry.

D: An exercise in true lambic but a little too acidic for my palate. I bet if I spent more time with Cantillon lambics I would see a gradual acceptance of the sourness.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours an appealing reddish pink with a cacophonous head that dissapears immediately and leaves only a little lacing. The aroma is full of lambic funk and fleshy raspberry pulp. Mildly sweet but more tart, the fruit is the dominant character in the nose. The taste is very funky and very sour as you would expect from Cantillon but there is a sweeter fruit flavor than usual (though the beer is still bone dry). Wet hay and a horseblanket show in spades as the beer warms. The finish is sour and pithy with raspberry skins. The mouthfeel is light with a sparse, bubbly carbonation.

This is a fanastic fruit lambic. Very fruity and very tart. If Cantillon Kriek and RDG are too sour, maybe you'd like this more.

3.65/5  rDev -17.4%

On tap

Light red, almost pink, no head, bubbles, medium carbonation

Smells sour, then like raspberry, then there's that Cantillon fishy smell way back in the distance, overall pleasant though

Tastes, sour, dry, a little watery, the raspberry is there, but not very pronounced, then a bitter acid sour aftertaste, this will wake you up.

Mouthfeel is light and bubbly

Overall drinkability is dependant on your predilection toward the super sour fruit taste and tolerance for the slightly funky smell and acid bitterness. If you like it sour then this will hit the spot.

3.83/5  rDev -13.3%

2003 drank out of a champagne fluit.

A: Unbelievable color. Looks like watermelon koolaid! No head once the fizzyness stopped. Scores of microscopic bubbles meander from the bottom to the top.

S: Sour, wood, acetic acid, very floral with lots of pungent mystery yeasts.

T: Wow. Very dry and refined. Nothing like the other framboises on the market. Extremely tart with flashes of bittering hops. Rounded rose pedal notes mellow on the tongue creating B vitamin moments on the tongue. The raspberry flavors are fairly subdued with the lambic flavors taking the limelight

M: Thin body with a prickly carbonation. Good for the style.

D: A lot like the other Cantillons. Very good lambic.

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

I let this warm to approximately 40º F and served it in one of my New Belgium snifter style glasses. I consumed the 750 mL bottle over a period that allowed the beer to reach room temperature.

Appearance: Pours a hazy deep red with a thin white fizzy head that quickly dissipates. Sparse bubbles rise up the sides of the glass to create a patchy thin ring.

Smell: Aromas of raspberries, sourness, and an intense funky wet blanket aroma.

Taste): The characteristic lambic flavors are present. There's an acidic tartness that greets the palate. It mellows into fruity raspberry flavors. The sourness reasserts itself in the finish, though not as much as some of Cantillon's other offerings. Funky lambic flavors are also present in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated, light-bodied with a puckering sourness and dry finish.

Drinkability: Like most lambics, Lou Pepe Framboise is a sipping beer.

Overall: An excellent lambic. The fruitiness is much more evident in this beer than in other Cantillon beers that I've had.

3.55/5  rDev -19.7%

Shared a 2001 bottle with a friend. I have to say going in that I am new to this style. Needless to say, this is nothing like I have ever tasted, which is both good and bad, I guess.

A-Color is light port, ruby with a white head that slowly disapates into fine white lacing

S-Funky yeast flavor dominates, backdrop of raseberry, as the drink aerates raseberry becomes more assertive

T-Strong acidic bitter taste up front that dominates the palate, lingering sweetness with some traces of cider.

MF-Very acidic, tingling

D-The complexity and strong flavors of this one definately lend themselves to moderation

4.42/5  rDev 0%

On tap @ TPH 5/23/06. Served in a Cantillon glass.

This one is very yummy. It pours a blood red with a quickly receding head. I love the classicl Cantillon absurd tartness, but I also dig the way the rasperry flavor lingers in the mouth. It is obviously very sour, but also a very enjoyable drink.

3.22/5  rDev -27.1%

Draught @ DBA in New York City. Deep cranberry red color, with a lightish pink head. Extremely rich, authentic and elegant raspberry aroma, with an apple core aroma underneath. Upon tasting, it had a very unpleasant and distracting apple like lambic character in the blend, which to me, showed more applely lambic flavor, than raspberry fruit. I’m a lambic beginner, but it just seemed well, not very complex. Just like the Lou Pepe Kriek, I wish an older blend was used (rather than just two year), yielding more tartness, but my biggest complaint is the flavor of the lambic blend, not the fruit.

4.2/5  rDev -5%

bottle served at the Monk's Cafe, served too cold at around 40F or lower. I let it sit over 15 minutes to try to give it some time to warm even marginally.

Bottle dated 2001, cork 2003.

Pours with huge head, which quickly reduces to either nothing or 1/3cm white foam alternately. wonderful astringent acidic sour nose with clear raspberry notes - unlike their kriek, the fruit note here is very distinct and clear.

taste is overpoweringly acidic at first, but quickly diminishes, leaving a muted aftertaste of primarily of raspberry without much tartness. there is heavy carbonation in the taste as well.

I let the bottle sit over half an hour drinking slowly, and temperature finally reaches more reasonable levels. The acidic taste increases but I never get much aftertaste. Of course, this beer was bottled over two years ago, I have usually not had good results myself aging fruit lambics and perhaps that is the case here.

I had this beer when it was first released but have no clear memory of it - but at this point, owning none myself, drinking it in a place such as monk's may be the only option, temperature mishandling and all.

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise from Brasserie Cantillon