Microbrew Invitational

Added by TheLongBeachBum on 12-01-2003

Reviews: 194 | Ratings: 1,029
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2005 vintage. This is confusing - the label says it's the 05, another sticker on the back says it's the '02 and YET another label says it was bottled in January of '03. And the cork? says bottled in 2007. Oh well, let's go with the 05, shall we? I'm cracking this tonight to remind myself of what a Cantillon beer is like, it's been a month since I've had one and I'm looking forward to trying some on tap in a couple of days.

A: Bring out the hazmat suit 'cos there's some foul black stuff as you pry off the cap. The cork comes out surprisingly quietly and as I pour this in my Duvel glass, an absolutely gorgeous crystal clear orange beer with a 3-finger thick white head appears. Retention is nothing special but good for the style, with some lacework being left behind. Awesome

S: Lemony barnyard funk right off the bat with some pronounced acidity. Complex and earthy with some wet hay. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this beer isn't outrageous or over the top. To my nose, it smells pretty balanced and complex, not hair-singeing like the Iris is. There are some cidery notes that come up once it warms up along with a hint of oak/vanilla sweetness.

T: It's got the characteristic Cantillon palate. Opening up with a pleasing palate-rousing lemony sourness, there is some mildly wheaty/cidery flavor that comes through, creating an illusion of sweetness. The acidity is just beautiful - the acetic character soft and gentle and makes this beer remarkably refreshing. Funk is represented with some barnyard-like flavors. Finishes long, dry, tart and with some tannic character. Wonderful.

M: Light in body in a way that almost makes me think it's watery. Surprisingly gentle carbonation, this beer is remarkably refreshing. The finish is pretty spectacular in it's length and gentleness.

D: This is hysterically drinkable. Half a bottle is gone in 15 minutes.

Notes: While I pretty much love everything Cantillon does, I wonder if the arrival of Russian River will stimulate Cantillon to do something new/different, much like Nasum reinvigorated Napalm Death. That said, I could drink this every day and not get tired of it.

*Edit 26 March 2011**
Joe brought a bottle of the 2001 vintage (bottled in 2003). Thanks, man!
The nose is beautiful, bright lemony sourness, with low tannins, low earthy funk, a more delicate and restrained gueuze. The sourness is interesting in that it has only a lemony character without the grapefruit presence. The palate is similar - all-round, there's a great lemony sourness, nice brightness, nice grassy and hay character. Nice lemon rind character. Great finish, this is a refreshing gueuze. Mellow stuff. 4.5/4.5/4.5/5/5

**Edit 29 Jan 2016**
2004 vintage, bottled in 2006.
The nose is surprisingly muted with a little honey, must, some preserved lemon, a little tannin, mild mushroom, a hint of acetone. A beautiful, softly carbonated mouthfeel is present, carrying with it flavors of salty driftwood, preserved lemons, a little floral honey and a nice funk. Quaffable, though a little bit over the hill, maybe? 3.5/4/4.5

4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle 2003.

Poured cloudy orange color with a large fizzy head that was lasting with good lacing. Moderate sour yeasty aroma. Medium body with a dry texture. Medium sour citrus flavor with a medium sour finish of moderated duration.

This is a standout beer.

4.4/5  rDev +0.2%

750ml bottle with a 2005 label on the neck, a cork that says bottled in 07 and a label on the back that says it was bottled 01/2008 so I guess this was brewed in 05 and must be about four years old. It smells a little musty and a little citrusy, mmm gueuze..Clear yellow color, still. The flavor is a little sour but so smooth it is way to easy to drink. This is a nice gueuze and I will be adding it to my list of gueuzes to cellar.

update 06/2011 2005 vintage

Fucking fantastic

4.22/5  rDev -3.9%

A. Hazy, and light honey with a touch of orange. Head is 1/2" and has nice retention.

S. Very lemony and citrusy with a touch of horseblanket, cloves, and a little bit of peppercorn.

T. Zingy and sour- very funky. A little bit of wet basement, a little touch of orange and some horseblanket/farmhouse.

M. Light and thin in the mouth. Great for style.

D. To be so drastically sour its a very light, refreshing and drinkable beer.

This was shared with ATLbeerDog and Pullen. Thanks, Dan, for sharing this one with us.

4.7/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2005 vintage received from Dyan, thanks man. This one concludes the Lou Pepe trinity for me.

Appearance: Wow, these old Cantillon bottles sure do have some interesting stuff growing beneath the foil... Not entirely sure what this black gunk is all over the bottleneck, but I'll just ignore it. Into my tumbler, the beer is a hazy wheat color that would probably be clearer had I given the bottle a couple of weeks to settle, but I can't be bothered. Vigorous pouring left me with about an inch of pure white foam, which retains surprisingly well for gueuze. Purdy.

Smell: Nice footy funk, damp wood, dirty socks, moldy basement, headcheese and a hint of dead raccoon.

Taste & mouthfeel: Lemony and tart, but surprisingly soft on the acidity. Flavors of green apple skin, cider vinegar, dry white wine and even a touch of tannic red wine (presumably from the barrel). Complex and well balanced, a definite sipper but very easy to drink. Gentle carbonation, enough to give it a bubbly mouthfeel but not much more. Delicious stuff, one of the best around.

4.42/5  rDev +0.7%

Vintage 2005

So I opened this one with my family on thanksgiving. My mom and fiance turned up their noses, my dad really liked it, my brother-in-law thought it was okay, and my sister liked it well enough once she added some orange juice. That last bit made me cringe, but what the hell, its a holiday! To each her own.

Anyway, on to what really matters most, my opinion. jk

a: Typical clear, pale yellow with a short lived fizzy white head.

s: Milder than other gueuezes I've tried, but all the usual suspects are here. Acidic apple cider vinegar, earthy wheat notes, and that prickly funk I have yet to come up with an adequate adjective for.

t: Here again, this was quite approachable and very much like a dry champagne. This was not as obnoxiously acidic as I'm used to, but it was a nice change of pace. Plus I didn't get any heartburn! I've always scoffed when I've heard people suggest that gueuze is a good gateway beer for wine lovers. In this case, however, its quite true. The rotten, barnyardy qualities are very much in the backround, though they aren't completely masked.

m: This was tart and lively, though the carbonation was a little short-lived.

d: I was hesitant to buy 750ml of a beer that I was sure would give me acid reflux. I love 'em but they are painful. This was far from mild, but it was tame enough that I could have easily tackled the whole bottle myself. I am glad that I shared this one though. Definitely recommended as a gateway into sour beer.

4.17/5  rDev -5%

Vintage 2005 bottle, split with trep and friends during a Thanksgiving holiday beer tasting.

Pours a crystal clear, golden yellow body with a fair amount of carbonation fueling a nicely retained, bone-white head. Although I'm yet to warm up to the Gueuze style, the aroma of Lou Pepe was intoxicating, with (thankfully) mellowed acetic acid, wet oak, and tart apple peel that gets balanced by a light malt presence and a trace of grassy hops.

Flavor is similar to the aroma, with a bit more sourness coming through. It's definitely not heavy on the vinegar, which I liked, and the dryness is manageable. Citrus notes of orange peel and oak linger on the finish. Body is crisp, surprisingly refreshing, and light. Overall, a fantastic brew, but I'm glad my friend footed the hefty price tag for this one ($25.99!).

4.17/5  rDev -5%

Vintage 2005 bottling. Purchased at Ryan and Casey in Greenfield, MA a couple of months ago for $13.99.

A- Golden orange. Bright white head.

S- mostly sour. some near vinegar notes.

T- I'm not the biggest sour drinker, but this one seems to be a very nice balance. This is fairly mellow in the sourness, and it gains some drinkability points as your palate gets used to it.

M- Again, really this just has the perfect amount of sourness for me. It's not super intense and is rounded out by a nice smoothness.

D- I find this fairly drinkable overall, and quite drinkable for the style. I'm still trying to get used to the style to some extent as I don't have many opportunities to try sours. But I can certainly recognize that this a great beer in this style.

4.51/5  rDev +2.7%

A wonderful 2005 vintage bottle. I had waited a long time to finally be able to try this one, so when given the chance to trade for it I jumped at the chance. Served chilled from the cellar, this corked, capped, and wrapped 750ml bottle was decanted into an oversized wine glass. Consumed on 11/16/2008.

The pour was wonderful. The best I could have expected for sure. Rich, and bright, vibrant golden yellow in color. A large, perhaps three inch high head of white foam then came up over the top and settled down wonderfully into a one inch layer of foam that came up across the entire top of the glass. Gorgeous side glass lacing and a wonderful presence of carbonation.

The aroma was a bit lighter then I was expecting, but still tremendously good. Rich nose of tart apple vinegar, sour grapes and a touch of wet hay. Enormously complex, as it warms it comes across with a light wheat or herbal like quality and just the tiniest amount of spice prickling the nose. The flavor was more of the same. Rich notes of sour and biting vinegar flavor coming across on it right away. A little bit one sided, and not as huge as I would have wanted given the stature to which this one is held to, but still extremely solid and worth it. Light grapes and even a touch of wheat coming through mid palate, especially as it starts to warm. Mellow grassy flavors are mingling very well within the flavor now. Smooth, easy transgression with the carbonation being nearly perfect here, and a light feel that was just spot on. As for drinkability, this one is top notch; I could not have found an easier beer in the style to put down.

Overall while not my favorite sour I have ever had, it is up there. This is about as solid as they come, and priced right along with the upper echelon of beers. I would have no issue trying this again, and to be honest would be curious to see how it holds up in the even earlier vintages.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

2004 batch, bottled 2006. Served at 55º.

Poured into a Cantillon tasting glass, and a Boon Geuze tumbler simultaneously. In the tumbler there was a creamy cap of white foam, with a nice lively surface. I ended up decanting from the larger glass into the smaller one, producing two fingers of foam. Brilliant amber tone with very high clarity. Visible carbonation trails rise through the liquid.

Let this one breathe a little after pulling the cork. As it comes to room temperature, it has notes of musty oak, wildflower compost, wet hay, lemon zest, and spicy tamarind. Mild citric sourness in the taste, immediately seems much mellower than the Classic Gueuze. Long, dry tannic oak finish. Notes of hay, lemon, orange peel, and cheese. Velvety carbonation that gives it effervescence and incredible lightness.

This was a birthday present, so i'll be savoring the 750 all to myself ;D

4.32/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow color with little to no head.

Nose is reminiscent of marbled blue cheeses and fresh pungent breads like rye, with a chalkboard white oaky component as well.

Palate is assaulted with sourness right off the bat, with bitter apple and Champagne-like fruitiness. In fact, this beer comes across simply as a low carbonated sour Champagne, if there is such a thing.

If you're accustomed to sour offerings, it's easy to drink. Otherwise, you may want to stick to that bottle of Champagne in the back of your refrigerator instead.

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours out a cloudy effervescent with lots of small white bubbles. One finger of suds and small lacing.
Cherry and lemon zest with just a hint of a caramel sweetness underlying the extreme sourness.
Taste is lemony orange with just a tad of sweetness. Mmmmm good.
Almost an asprin-like feel to the mouth after the sourness goes away. Very dry but with lemon peel with a touch of caramel sweetness.
Great session brew if I could get this all the time. Great!

4.2/5  rDev -4.3%

This 2000 vintage beer came in a corked bottle with a crown cap covering it, and it was a good thing too, as the cork appeared to have dried up and shrunk in upright storage. The cap had done its job, and the beer was effervescent, clear, and Champagne like. The smell was very mature and ripe, and the aging seemed to have taken a lot of the funky edges off. The smell reminded me of fresh squeezed lemon juice or a cider made from green apples. Taste was very dry and sour with no hint of any sweetness that might have ever been present. A little bit of hay and cheddar were apparent in the taste as well. Despite all this acidity and complexity, it was smooth and refreshing, and not harsh at all. Airy and slippery with a high level of puckering feel. Easy to drink except for the steep price of admission.

3.58/5  rDev -18.5%

I can take a geuze, some are sweeter, some more mellow. I was expecting the mellow with complexity, based on what I heard, based on the rating. What I got, and important this was a 2000 Vintage, was an absolutely sour geuze, with some edge taken off. Its lemony with some ginger. From fruit peaks out, but its sour and while I finished 2/3 of a litre, I could not tolerate the entire bomber. Perhaps I did not get off to a great start with mold on top of the cap, and into the initial aroma.

4.32/5  rDev -1.6%

2004 vintage on tap at Teresa's Next Door...
Appears a light, slightly hazed gold with a small, white head that quckly dissipates into a mild bubbly cap.
Smell is of funky barnyard, horseblanket, honey, earthy, musty, with hints of apple, and oaky vanilla.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with notes of nectarines, and apricots.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, tart, effervescent, and lightly sour on the finish.

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Vintage 2003. 750ml bottle, corked and capped. Bought at the London Drinkers 2005. Served cool in a large bulb wine glass.

A: poured a quite clear, dark golden body; the light puffy white foamy crown sustains well, then gradually wanes leaving a scarce rim on top of the lightly fizzy body.
S: salty+sweaty barn-yard mustiness and marinated star fruits mainly, with grapefruit-zests backing at the fringe where new oak barrel’s vanilla comes rather assertive as well; very deep and full of oakiness… Neither quite exciting nor complex, but the aroma is really settled and pleasant.
T: really tannic and tangy-zesty, with a metallic touch upfront…then salty fruitiness (showing hints of hawthorn-fruits) and grapefruit peels render a rather dryish palate in the aftertaste, where the tongue simply feels more and more tangy. Lots of aroma are left in the finishing touch, btw.
M&D: by Cantillon’s standard, this one is not sour or harsh at all; this is an ultra-smooth, fragrant, and mature gauze to savour. But I wonder how it has gained so much oaky influence even after so many years of aging in the bottle? It’s my cup of tea anyway! Fellow BA Greencard once mentioned that this is his all-time favourite geuze; now I can understand why~~

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

This is a review of the 2000 Lou Pepe Gueze, which I had a few days ago. This bottle looked fine from the outside, but under the foil was the scariest cap I have ever seen- completely rusted through. It showered by counter with black and rust-red metallic dust and debris when I popped the cap and just crumbled completeely. The cork underneath was a grayish black. I feared the worst but decided to clean the top and carefully pull the cork. Luckily, it was only the top of the cork that was discolored, the remaining 4/5ths of the cork was perfectly fine and sealed the beer very well. There was a popping sound when I uncorked the beer and some not excessive foam. The beer was fine! It poured a nice somewhat cloudy dark golden into a chalice, with a surprisingly good head for its age that settled to a ring and stuck around for the duration of the beer. Just okay lacing. The smell was a little faint by now, but exhibited typical barnyard aromas, a whiff of lemon, and a hint of brie cheese. There was also an underlying acidic apple smell, sorta like a scrumpy. Not acetic, but mild and pleasant. The flavors were just wonderful. Perfectly balanced tartness (not acetic), barnyard flavors, perfectly ripe cheese, a touch of wood. Everything was seamlessly integrated and oh so smooth and subtle. This beer has been considerably mellowed by aging, not in your face at all. Extremely enjoyable. The mouthfeel is smooth, crisp, and refreshing. I could drink this all day. Wonderful to see that its still holding up.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

2002 bottling, courtesy of Goodbyeohio. Thanks for the amazing Christmas (last year) present, buddy! Split with my girlfriend, poured into matching Cantillon goblets.
The cork is dated 2004, so I'm guessing they aged this at the brewery? Clear, pale peach. Respectable collar of tight, white foamage. Incredibly fine bubbled. Actually laces on the glass pretty well, which I find unusual for a lambic. Nice and funky aroma. Pungent crabapple, stilton and aged swiss cheese, and bottom-of-the-haybale funkiness. Very acidic, with a citrus tint. The flavor opens with softened, silky carbonation. Really, really nice. The beer just glides along on microscopic bubbles. Almost immediately tart, with little to no sweetness. Mostly a cheesy kind of funk, with heaps of lemon juice and wild crabapple. Definite bleu cheese going on here. Moldy and dank. Just about everything including the kitchen sink going on in here. Almost gamey at times, then a bit of sweetness can be detected. Lots going on here. So dry it could be called arid, stripping my palate of any and all moisture. Very sharp, though in a more refined way than the regular Cantillon Gueuze. Nicely aged, with a very elegant, urbane feel. If you believe any wine can compete with this kind of complexity, I've got a bridge I'll sell to you for a real bargain!

4.35/5  rDev -0.9%

I received this as a gift about 2 years ago and have tried to patiently wait for this one. I guess the time is now, but the warnings from previous reviewers caution about taking on a bottle of this one solo. I feel I have no choice and there are moments when I can be a brave soul.
Bottle inspection notes no visible sediment and apparently water clear. We'll see. Cap before the cork had a brown stain and a deep red stain on it. Bottle label marked "Gueuze 2001" and the cork noted "Botteld 2003".
Initially a dirty, musty, earthy aroma that is very reminiscent of old, dirty socks. The horse blanket quality is very persistent throughout the drink. There is a slight background of sweet/sour fruitiness that seems almost apple in character (but I could be thrown visually).
Initially pours with a very non-dense head that breaks down very easily, leaving a small edge ring and a fine thin layer of white. Apple juice in color and very clear.
An interesting array of flavors. Sour, yes, but not overpoweringly so. It also has a woody character that seems like oak (chardonnay). A fairly neutral fruit taste that borders on some sweetness but it is quickly overcome by the sourness. There is an acid quality, but it isn't necessarily too tart or astringent. In fact a nice mellow dryness finishes the drink in which the sourness is eventually in the background and fades before the slowly diminishing dryness leaves. The apple juice comparison again in that it's like drinking a sour apple juice, except it doesn't taste particularly like apple juice.
The tartness is enhance by the mild yet almost prickly carbonation. It's never excessive and doesn't take away from a thin smoothness.
As an acolyte in this style my impressions are based upon nothing other than what I've read, expectations based upon nothing and impressions of flavors. With all that I'm enjoying this drink. It's not overwhelming me in any manner, but it does leave me wanting for a taste of something to nibble on to contrast (or maybe complement) the flavors as they are striking enough to warrant a distraction. Nicely drinkable, as I had little difficulty finishing off the bottle.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

Corked and capped bottle of 2003 lou pepe. Aged in good conditions. It forms a loose head that is really not a factor as it fades to a pinkish outer ring. No lace. Golden body with a few rolling bubbles.

This is an outstanding offering. Funk? you bet but its not as pronounced or raw as other gueze's. In fact to me this has a refined taste to it that is not as raw or funky as most but most definately more complex. Tart? not really man. Very hard brew to explain as it cracks the mold in some ways as its smooth and easy drinking. Sipping may be the best approach as it changes as it warms. This has some vinous character to it and has a nice drying finish with some lingering brett. My personal feeling is this is better cold. I tried it from 45-60 and it was much more lively, fruity and fresh tasting cold. As it warmed it lost the body and all of the fruit presence as mild as it was.

Notes: Disclaimer, I'm a HUGE gueze fan. This is up there with the finest I've had. Blending in older lambics is the greatest invention ever. You might say what about internet? Mass production? the wheel? Nope, its blending lambics. Yummmm

4.33/5  rDev -1.4%

This was purchased at Downtown Wine & Spirits on Monday. It's a 2000 vinatge. I let this warm to around 40º F and served it in one of my New Belgium glasses.

Appearance: Pours a lovely, cloudy, apricot color with a one-inch, fizzy, white head that thins to a persistent film.

Smell: A sweet, fruity aroma mingles with an acidic tartness. Swirling brings out the characteristic Cantillon funk: earthy, funky, and wet-blanket aromas.

Taste: There's a sweet, light fruitiness upfront. It's predominantly a lemony, citric flavor. The taste quickly moves into an acidic tartness that melds with an earthy, yeasty funkiness. The sourness isn't as strong as I'd hoped, but this is still delicious.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with tingly carbonation and a very dry finish.

Drinkability: The sourness is relatively subdued in this beer, making it very easy to sip.

Overall: Very nice, I haven't had a bad Cantillon beer.

4.23/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2001 served in a flute glass.
Translucent amber/light orange color, moderate amount of tight carbonation, and practically no head, slight off white film.

Smells primarily of wild yeast with a mild apple cider vinegar, sour smell up underneath the yeast.

Tasts much better than the smell. Initially, it taste of mild granny smith/tart apples with a woody/oaky sweetness. It progressively gets more sour throughout the taste and finishes very dry and clean. It actually smells more sour than it tastes.

Very clean mouthfeel, not filmy. Very refreshing. Light-bodied, but not watery. Very drinkable. Easy to drink and the "simple" tastes involved are actually to it's advantage.

4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

The beer was served in a flute. This beer was the 2001 vintage.

Appearance: The beer has a peach coloration. The beer has a nice tight rolling carbonation. The head was pretty much nothing to speak of.

Smell: The beer smells very acidic and has a load of funky yeastyness. The beer gives me a bit of sour apples and lemon.

Taste: The beer doesnt taste any where near as sour as the smell. The beer gives alot of funky yeastyness. The beer has a sour apples and lemon tartness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is light bodied. The beer has ample carbonation. This is the least harsh of any Cantillon product I have drank. This beer is oddly refreshing and made me wish for more.

3.75/5  rDev -14.6%

Green Cantillon bottle with a cork and cap. 2001 vintage. $35 at Toronado in the Haight, shared with Brewbacca. Expensive, but worth a try.

Alas this one has not aged well, either that or it’s the most mellow geuze I have tasted. Personally, I have grown to appreciate battery acid and vinegar in my geuze. This one is just mellow lemons. Still, there are some things to point out.

The aromas are wonderful. Tart and highly acidic lemons that scorch your nostrils and rancid white grape skins. Balanced, mellow, and nearly perfect.

Appearance is a hazed lemon/apricot with stunning effervescence that maintains a long lasting, albeit thin head.

Flavor is mild lemon tartness. Very mellow and not terribly complex.

Mouthfeel is not particularly sour. Not sour enough for me at any rate. Quite crisp and very dry but mellow.

Drinkability is like a fine sparkling wine without the headache.

Not my favorite geuze. It’s not big enough, ballsy enough, nor sour enough. Still, I feel lucky to have tried it.

4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

Recently rediscovered this brewery, and lambics in general. Time to try 'em all again! Actually haven't had this one before, so it should be a treat.
The sticker on the bottle says 2002. The cork is too mangled to really tell what that last number is. Hmmm. The first thing I notice about this beer as opposed to Cantillon's flagship gueuze is less carbonation. Pours a bright, vibrant orange, with no head to speak off, but little gatherings of bubbles. Smells rather typical for Cantillon. All the usual suspects are there. Big and funky, lots of Brett out front here. Citrusy, zesty, dusty. Taste is more subdued than much of the Cantillon line, which I like. Definitely tart and sour, plenty of granny smith apple and lemon rind, but it's mellowed a bit here. I'd really like try one that's even older and more curmudgeony. You can't really taste much sweetness, but I can pick up on the difference between this beer and their normal Gueuze which has a younger lambic in the blend. This one is much softer, in a word. There's something to be said for the younger and wilder punch that the regular gueze has, but this one allows for more complex tastes to shine through. Lots of must, dust, and mold, almost as if you could smell the cellar and the barrell(s) this beer was aged in. It does sweeten and round out a bit as it warms. More funk as well. The softness on the palate combined with the acidic bite really makes this beer come together. Takes a little while to drink this one, but that doesn't exactly translate into a "low drinkability" for me. It's something that should be appreciated at whatever pace suits it best. An impressive beer for sure, from the experts of lambic.

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Gueuze from Brasserie Cantillon