Cantillon Lou Pepe - Gueuze - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Lou Pepe - GueuzeCantillon Lou Pepe - Gueuze

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 12-01-2003)
4.61/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle sealed with Cantillion pressure cap and cork.

2010 sticker bottled in 2013.

Appearance: Pale yellow bodied beer with 2 full fingers of white head that eventually drops to thin ring around the glass.

Smell: Tons of cantillion funk and light tartness. Slightly fruity and grain.

Taste: Tons of funk and oak. Light sweetness and funkiness in the background. Pears and honey with a hint of white grape and lemon. Funk is dominate, but does take away all the delicate flavors of the gueuze.

Mouthfeel: light bodied beer with low carbonation. Soft, delicate and creamy carbonation. This drinks so easily its just silly.

Overall: This is my favorite of the Lou Pepe Series! Fram and Kriek are also amazing, but a gueuze is the perfect style for cantillion funk. I think this is far superior to cantillion classic gueuze. This beer is in my top 5 gueuze that I have tried. Cantillion LPG is not quite as good as, but gets close to 3F Lente, 3F Golden Blend, and Bullfrog Vertiable gueuze.

4DAloveofSTOUT, Jul 17, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

Ciocanelu, Feb 19, 2014

ADTaber, Jan 14, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +4%

2001 vintage. Thanks to SheepNutz for sharing this gem with us. The beer poured an orange color with a slight ring over top. The nose was awesome. Full of lemoney acidic tones with the tartness and sour grapey notes as well. I had the Cuvee Renee recently, and this Cantillon was much more balanced and subdued. The flavor was much the same. All the sour, acid and tart I want from a gueuze, but without the overpowering pucker. The flavors lingered long as well, but not in a bad way. The feel was moderate with just a slight carbontion. The finish was very dry, sucking the moisture from my mouth. Very easy drinking and smooth. Even though the finish was dry, it was very refreshing. Another fine offering from Cantillon.

kmpitz2, Jan 30, 2005
4.45/5  rDev -1.1%

SadMachine, May 24, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

oldp0rt, Jun 02, 2013
4.38/5  rDev -2.7%

I received this as a gift about 2 years ago and have tried to patiently wait for this one. I guess the time is now, but the warnings from previous reviewers caution about taking on a bottle of this one solo. I feel I have no choice and there are moments when I can be a brave soul.
Bottle inspection notes no visible sediment and apparently water clear. We'll see. Cap before the cork had a brown stain and a deep red stain on it. Bottle label marked "Gueuze 2001" and the cork noted "Botteld 2003".
Initially a dirty, musty, earthy aroma that is very reminiscent of old, dirty socks. The horse blanket quality is very persistent throughout the drink. There is a slight background of sweet/sour fruitiness that seems almost apple in character (but I could be thrown visually).
Initially pours with a very non-dense head that breaks down very easily, leaving a small edge ring and a fine thin layer of white. Apple juice in color and very clear.
An interesting array of flavors. Sour, yes, but not overpoweringly so. It also has a woody character that seems like oak (chardonnay). A fairly neutral fruit taste that borders on some sweetness but it is quickly overcome by the sourness. There is an acid quality, but it isn't necessarily too tart or astringent. In fact a nice mellow dryness finishes the drink in which the sourness is eventually in the background and fades before the slowly diminishing dryness leaves. The apple juice comparison again in that it's like drinking a sour apple juice, except it doesn't taste particularly like apple juice.
The tartness is enhance by the mild yet almost prickly carbonation. It's never excessive and doesn't take away from a thin smoothness.
As an acolyte in this style my impressions are based upon nothing other than what I've read, expectations based upon nothing and impressions of flavors. With all that I'm enjoying this drink. It's not overwhelming me in any manner, but it does leave me wanting for a taste of something to nibble on to contrast (or maybe complement) the flavors as they are striking enough to warrant a distraction. Nicely drinkable, as I had little difficulty finishing off the bottle.

garymuchow, Nov 25, 2006

ncaudle, Jan 22, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Aaahhhh... now this is the good stuff.

Pours a bright, effervescent luminous orange with beams of golden orange-y-ness. Two or three inches of white foam head that quickly settled down to a thin slick crust.

Smells like a child's tears mixed with forlorn and lonely puppy dog. Also, there is lemony vinegar, oak, and a nice bouquet of funky horse blanket. I can tell this is going to be sour.

And it is, but it ain't a sour bomb. The smell, again, is liquified misery with a tinge of broken dreams. More big time soury oak, woodsy vinegar lemon, a bit of green apple/pear bite, and a definite unripe vinous aftertaste. So delicious.

I'm really enjoying this, and the sourness is well balanced.

Overlord, May 18, 2009

akang, Oct 07, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

From a 750 ml green bottle, corked and capped, 2007 edition. Pours of a cloudy pale honey wheat hue, thin splash of large bubbled white head.

As far as aroma goes this is one of the most appealing and enticing wild Belgian ales I have ever come across. Acidic, yet rounded rather than sharp. Layers of citrus rind, lemon, tangerine, pomelo and some very mild light spice.

Absolutely gorgeous flavour as well, I really didn't know what to expect going into this and it has blown my mind. Intense citric acidity at first that rounds out to a tame smoothness in the middle, with mildly tart finish. I'm speechless to actually do this stuff justice, it is fucking amazing. I never thought I'd enjoy a gueuze as much as this.

Light mouthfeel, low carbonation, some stickiness on the finish, and it starts to coat the palate after a while.

Highly recommended if you can get your hands on it, this is one of those beers definitey trying at least once, and even more than that if you can afford it. An incredible example of craftsmanship when it comes to blending lambics.

IronDjinn, Jan 29, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -7.8%

Vintage 2005 bottle, split with trep and friends during a Thanksgiving holiday beer tasting.

Pours a crystal clear, golden yellow body with a fair amount of carbonation fueling a nicely retained, bone-white head. Although I'm yet to warm up to the Gueuze style, the aroma of Lou Pepe was intoxicating, with (thankfully) mellowed acetic acid, wet oak, and tart apple peel that gets balanced by a light malt presence and a trace of grassy hops.

Flavor is similar to the aroma, with a bit more sourness coming through. It's definitely not heavy on the vinegar, which I liked, and the dryness is manageable. Citrus notes of orange peel and oak linger on the finish. Body is crisp, surprisingly refreshing, and light. Overall, a fantastic brew, but I'm glad my friend footed the hefty price tag for this one ($25.99!).

wagenvolks, Nov 28, 2008
4.4/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2005 bottle from Cantillon in Brussels.

A - Great appearance, bright golden with a creamy white head and excellent lacing.

S - Nice funky tart aroma with green apple, lemon, and barnyard.

T - Flavor is full and complex with malty sweetness to balance the tartness, lemony funk, sour apple, and wood. Just a straight-up awesome gueuze.

M - High carbonation, medium body, and a great effervescent mouthfeel. A sharp and tart acidic bite, just like you'd want and expect from this style.

D - Better than the regular Cantillon gueuze. Can't pinpoint why exactly, maybe it's a little better balanced and smoother.

nickd717, Oct 14, 2009

beerpadawan, Aug 27, 2012

brez8791, Dec 01, 2012
4.36/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A huge thank you to wordemupg for this 2007 bottle, a looong time big want. Enjoying this one by the fire on christmas eve.

Appearance. Pours a lovely rich honey-gold with a touch of orange. Topped with a thin white head that fades fast.

Smell. Apples peaches and pears ...very fruity. Some cider vinegar and some nice sweet(ish) woody funk.

Taste. Huge lemony sourness, nice funk that's less woody than the smell but what I would describe as truly barnyard with sweet hay and all. A little dank oak wood makes an appearance in the finish.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body, medium-low fine and lightly prickly carbonation.

Overall. Very happy with this choice as the official start to Christmas. A fine Gueuze. Thanks again and a very merry Christmas, Chris!

Rutager, Dec 25, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at the brewery in Brussels, Belgium. Sampled that night at my youth hostel.

Websites differ, as many say that the Lou Pepe Gueuze is a blend of two different two year old lambics, while an equal amount of others say that it is a blend of two different three year old lambics. Regardless, since no young lambic was added to the blend, refermentation was started by the addition of sweet liquor.

Peach.

The aroma was soft and musty, possessing scents of apple and lemon, along with the usual gueuze like qualities.

I found this to be very mellow, not like I was expecting. Since it was older, I was expecting it to be much more harsh, dry and sour than the other gueuzes that are blended with young lambic. Just the opposite really. Don't get me wrong: this was dry as hell, but its sourness was subdued quite a bit and it wasn't harsh at all. It was very pleasant to drink, having mainly apple and lemon in the backround and notes of candy and mixed berry yogurt.

Crosling, Aug 03, 2004

david18, Dec 29, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

thewimperoo, May 22, 2012
4.29/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle, 2010 year on the sticker, poured at the Tipple's Rare and Barrel Aged Beer tasting on July 13, 2014. Nice job, guys!

Pours clear golden colored with a small white fluffy head. Aroma is of the lemon peel and mint leaf kind that I get from a lot of gueuze, some dry dusty oak, funky yeast, very nice. Flavor is pretty funky lacto sour with lemon peels, super dusty dryness, oak, some other citrus notes, hay. Excellent. Like this better than the Classic Gueuze version. Body is very light, with medium plus carbonation and super easy drinking.

BMMillsy, Jul 15, 2014
4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

Vintage 2005

So I opened this one with my family on thanksgiving. My mom and fiance turned up their noses, my dad really liked it, my brother-in-law thought it was okay, and my sister liked it well enough once she added some orange juice. That last bit made me cringe, but what the hell, its a holiday! To each her own.

Anyway, on to what really matters most, my opinion. jk

a: Typical clear, pale yellow with a short lived fizzy white head.

s: Milder than other gueuezes I've tried, but all the usual suspects are here. Acidic apple cider vinegar, earthy wheat notes, and that prickly funk I have yet to come up with an adequate adjective for.

t: Here again, this was quite approachable and very much like a dry champagne. This was not as obnoxiously acidic as I'm used to, but it was a nice change of pace. Plus I didn't get any heartburn! I've always scoffed when I've heard people suggest that gueuze is a good gateway beer for wine lovers. In this case, however, its quite true. The rotten, barnyardy qualities are very much in the backround, though they aren't completely masked.

m: This was tart and lively, though the carbonation was a little short-lived.

d: I was hesitant to buy 750ml of a beer that I was sure would give me acid reflux. I love 'em but they are painful. This was far from mild, but it was tame enough that I could have easily tackled the whole bottle myself. I am glad that I shared this one though. Definitely recommended as a gateway into sour beer.

DIM, Nov 28, 2008

seeswo, May 06, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -0.4%

2005 Vintage.

Beer is dark golden with a nice, thick white head. Moderate retention and lacing.

Smell is funk city! Horse blanket scents dominate, along with yeast, wheat, hay and lemon. A bit of a sweet malty backbone. A complex scent but all tied up neatly together- very unified.

Taste is full of funk like the nose- barnyard and hay. Lemon and some other citrus flavours, perhaps a hint of apple. Crisp wheat. The beer is very dry. Tart and a bit sour, but not nearly as much as expected- assumedly balanced by the sugar. Some peppery, spicy flavours, almost like a funky, mutant saison. The finish reveals a dry fruity flavour that makes me think a bit of champagne. Very complex, very good.

Light bodied and low carbonation. Puckers the mouth.

Overall, excellent. A very nice beer. No problem finishing this bottle solo.

jrenihan, Jun 02, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

mrebeka, Jun 08, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Purchased at De Bier Temple in Brussels. 2006 vintage. Split with friends in London after trying the two fruit-based Lou Pepes on previous nights.

A: Pours a hazy golden apricot color with an off-white foam cap.

S: Sour, citric aromas hit the nose first. They're followed by a complex signature of leather, tobacco, hay, horse blanket, spice, and vinegar.

T: Starts off with a puckering lemon sourness with an earthy rind-like quality to it. The mid-taste offers hints of peppery spice. Then the flavors become dominated by tobacco (very heavy) and leather. To a lesser extent there is a presence of horse blanket and hay. The sourness here is both lactic and acetic, adding yet another layer of complexity.

M: Dry, but not as austere as the Lou Pepe Framboise was. Just enough to sting the palate and burn the throat, but not enough to become truly uncomfortable. The right presence, in my eyes (or mouth, rather).

D: I think with this beer I finally understood and appreciated Cantillon.

Arbitrator, Nov 10, 2009