2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,443 | Reviews: 617 | Show All Ratings:
soper2000

Obtained via trade with the ever so gracious ngandhi. I must say that I love Cantillon and believe that they are the best brewery in the world. So with much anticipation, I dive in. Cork came out without much pomp and circumstance. And it poured a beautiful ruby red with a pink 1 finger head. Smell has that wonderful Cantillon acidity, but the cherry aroma is much more assertive than the rasberries were in Rose de Gambrinus. A slight funkiness is present as well, but in no means dominant. Why don't they make incense with this aroma. Taste, oh my, where do I begin? A very sharp tartness introduces this beer to my palate. The intial lambic sourness fades ever so gently into a full flavored cherry with subtle hints of wood. A slightly funky flavor glides into the aftertaste. This is one remarkable brew. Even though the acidity in this beer is very high. I could drink this all day if presented with the oppourtunity. Ever since I became a BA, I never thought that I would give a beer a perfect rating, but this truly deserves it. Remarkable, remarkable beer. Thanks again Ngandhi.
*cork dated 2003

11-12-2004 03:31:44 | More by soper2000
99bottles

Before I say anything, let me say that this was my first Cantillon and that I am blown away. This is the highest review I've ever given, and it deserves all the praise people bestow on it. Sheer Excellence.

Appearance: ON TAP!!!! This is served in a burgundy glass. The color is a rich and opaque red with some purple shades. Like a strong ruby. There is only the faintest lace on the edges of the surface, near the glass. It doesn't seem to exhibit legs like a wine might.

Smell: Wow. I spent close to 2 minutes just smelling this. The burgundy glass was the perfect ware to coax the nose into a succint little effluent. Packs a bit of a punch, too. Cherries. So fresh and yet, slighted by the lambic into having an alluring funky note. There's an obvious sourness to them as well. This is not your girlfriend's lambic. This is the real thing, and it's awesome.

Taste: This is everything I could ever need. I can safely proclaim this as the earth's most perfect disgestif. This has such a real flavor of cherries, it's unbelieveable. The sweetness is captured to make this sultry, but the sourness is there too. The lambic blends a note of the fecund earth of the Belgian countryside, the slightly rotten smell of damp vegetation, the barnyard manure (the good part of it, not the poopy part- people living near farms can relate, right? There's a niceness in barnyards, but city folk don't understand) Well, it's all here. It's the undeniable influence of the wild Brett yeast, floating around out there. Thank God it landed in some open barrels of wort and helped create this superior beer. I love this.

Mouthfeel: It's nice when cold and nice when warm. It is in a constant state of flux, it changes in the air and runs a gammut from pretty to ugly. The carbonation is active and helps this to sink a full stomach into complete content. It's perfect.

Drinkability: It's perfect. It's the perfect beer. I can't say I have the pleasure of drinking lots and lots of this, but it's not to say I couldn't. It's a lot like a Flanders Red in its sourness, but maybe that's just what a true lambic wants. I love this beer. I'm blubbering like a schoolgirl. It's that good. I need to purchase multiple bottles and cross my fingers that they're as good as this is fresh off the tap.

02-08-2005 16:57:17 | More by 99bottles
Travlr

District of Columbia

One year old bottle stored at home. Cloudy ruby red that reflects and absorbs light. Scant pinkish head evaporates in seconds. Aroma of sour cherries and lemon. Sour lip puckering cherry taste with musty dryness. Ages extremely well. A classic kriek, in a league of its own.

11-08-2009 03:17:32 | More by Travlr
trodersark

Vintage 1996, consumed Feb 2011

Served from bottle, poured into Tulip.

Before I begin this review, I would like to say this has been one of the absolutely most fantastic beers I've ever had. Pours an extremely bright cherry red with a half a finger head, though it quickly dissipates. When smelling it, it screams of cherry, cherry, cherry, and some more cherry. You can definitely smell the red fruits and the tartness. When tasting, god O' mighty this is soo tart. It almost makes your lips pucker. At the front of your palate, you get cherry, light fruits, and plain of TART. Once that goes away, you get the taste of an absolutely perfect Lambic. Cantillon has really done a number with this one (and with most of their other brews). It still has it's effervescence, and it's just the right amount. I could drink this all day if I could. It's extremely easy to drink and enjoy.

02-27-2011 22:11:40 | More by trodersark
DaveHS

Vintage 1997, courtesy of the immensely generous Onibubba.

A- The cork was falling apart as I removed it, and there was a small pool of liquid under the cap. Pours stunning cloudy apple cider vinegar color with ruby highlights and small errant flecks of yeast. No head, just a small ring of brilliant white lace.

S-So perfect. Old musty cherry flavors, the best balsamic vinegar you've ever smelled, old wood, mulch. Impressive in every way.

T/M-Gorgeous tart cherry flavors up front, yielding to lovely lush funk. The finish retains the tart acidity till the very end. Like sweet tarts dissolved in balsamic vinegar. I know that sounds unappetizing but somehow it works. The genius of Cantillon. Thin and sharp, with low carbonation and a lingering funky, palate coating yeast.

O-I'm blown away by this.

07-16-2011 02:03:58 | More by DaveHS
Goldstar81

Unsure of the year but it appears to be a 2004 purchased at Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena. This is what it was advertised as.

A - White head with a cloudy red appearence. Definitely has a Kriek look to it.

S - SOUR! And funky like a good Cantillon with some age on it!

T - Fundadelic like James Brown. Burned the mouth and nose quite a bit on the first sip. I was drinking a triple prior to cracking this bottle open. The fruit has faded a bit but it still tastes like a Kriek but its hidden under the funk.

M - Dry. Slightly bitter. Tart like a mouthful of sweet tarts. Puckering like a mouth full of lemons.

O - So worth the 45 bucks we paid. Defintely a treat for Cantillon fans. Nobody does it better.

07-17-2011 07:11:35 | More by Goldstar81
Bendurgin

Maine

Poured into a Cantillon taster courtesy of Andrewinski1. Pours a clear vibrant red with about a finger of fluffy pink head. Really a treat to look at this one.

Good cherry aroma with a tart aroma to begin and finishing off sweetly. Nice balance with a bit of a musty funk to this. Holy F$%@ing sour here! This is great! Big tart cherry flavors here. Sour cherries straight up. This is great.

Light and crisp. Puckering and a little dry.

This is a perfect beer to me. I've had it a handful of times now and I've always thought this was perfect. Clearly it is.

12-12-2011 04:19:33 | More by Bendurgin
Bowdoinbeerboy

Maine

Poured into my Shelton Bros. sampler at "The Festival."

Beer was quite red, very pretty, not too much apparent carbonation or head.

The nose was quite tart, from the smell I really thought this was going to be one extremely sour beer.

The taste was surprisingly mild on the sour front, I would describe it as mildly tart and not at all in an acidic way that many sour beers develop. Definitely got some hints of cherries here, this was truly a delightful beer.

06-23-2013 13:51:19 | More by Bowdoinbeerboy
77black_ships

Probably my favourite beer. Every time I have it, it is just as incredible as the first time around. I greatly prefer this one in 75 cl. bottles but any form is fine for me. Have had this one dozens of times.

Old review from early 2011, first time trying. 2009 vintage bottle@home: about 1 & ½ year old at time of consumption, fairly fresh for this one, nice full red colour with pink head, smells heavily of cherries, tart & funk, oak, hint of rosé wine, taste is restrained at first but quickly turns very sour, very pronounced tart & funk with a sour ending that really lingers on and turns almost acidic in the end, followed by delicious sour cherries, tiny hint of bitterness, absolutely amazing, spectacular even.

Some other notes I have. Tried a 1992 375 ml. bottle courtesy of Martinus @ RBBWG 2013, there were doubts about this beer prior to opening it, which all instantly vanished once we tried this, has kept incredible well, even better integrated than younger bottles, didn’t think that this is possible.

10-23-2013 11:05:54 | More by 77black_ships
ACarp

poured into Cantillon Sniffing glass
appearance: ruby red, pink head that lingered for a few min before disappearing
smell: strong cherry presence overlying the background of musty funk
taste: sour cherries and lactic tartness with a fair and pleasantly balanced funk presence, lacking any offputting barnyard character. Very dry and crisp
Mouth: coats the mouth when swirled, the flavor is very full and lingers
An incredible sour ale!

01-08-2014 05:21:01 | More by ACarp
AdamBear

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

my first Cantillon so I was super excited to try this...

A-bright red with a nice pink head

S-smells really funky, extremely funky. with a good bit of cherries. i could sit and smell this all day long

T-ok wow. yes...comes in with a perfectly tart taste of creamy dark cherries. its a great dry taste with a touch of bitterness. the after-taste is strong and matching. so much complexity, yet so balanced. has such a great funk to it

M-medium carbonation with a good dry finish

O-this is one of the best beers i've ever had. of course, i'm a huge fan of sours and lambics, but this just raised the bar. i want a never ending supply of this. i wish it were cheaper...its a taste i just can't get out of my head

01-30-2012 01:14:02 | More by AdamBear
putnam

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

"Piles of raw, sour cherries,cherry pit splinters,smoked ham and latex define the immense aromatics of this beer
Smoky and dense on the nose, it is vengefully acidic on the palate, revealing layers of copper, lemon juice, sweet herbs and photographic developer. This may be the sourest beer I've ever had in my life. The sweetness is in the form of texture, which is fleshy and round. But a little actual sweetness wouldn't hurt at all. Definitely must go with food: pickled herring, boiled smelt etc."

I wish I could remember what vintage that "4.25" beer was. This 2004 is solidly in the 4.5 to 5 zone. It reeks of pulpy cherries and Chateauneuf du Pape. Savory, meaty middle flavors are help up by powerful cherry, raspberry, vanilla and spice flavors. The texture is imposing. The acidity is lime-like. Aromatics of tobacco, tea, kirsch and almond/tangerine paste rise up through the finish.

Initially I ordered a conservative two cases. Now I've requested four more.

12-17-2004 03:15:09 | More by putnam
alfrantzell

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

þ*tflEd ln 19Pb

At least I think that's what the cork says. It should be "Bottled in 1996", but it's in a state of disintegration. It crumbles upon contact with the corkscrew.

Five minutes and a re-purposed thermometer later, the beer descends into the glass pallid pink. What's this? Carbonation? Uncanny. Smells funky, woody, cherry. After all these years the beer retains a good amount of tart fruit. And vanilla, and brown sugar. The mouthfeel is gentle, delicate. The 04 and 08 that were opened in tandem are syrup by comparison.

Thanks for the bottle, mymrnngjckt.
And to mikey711 and Arbitrator for the 04 and the 08.

03-29-2010 07:27:47 | More by alfrantzell
gdfan47

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

A- pours a really nice cloudy purpilish red with barely any head or lacing
S- tart tart cherry, vinegar, smoke, oak, a little apple, very very strong
T- very tart and tangy with a slight finish of cherry, finishes very dry and the taste is far less abrasive than the smell
M- very carbonated, the tang really comes through , but smooth enough to enjoy
D- def a hard session beer, couldnt imagine drinking more than 2 of these in one sitting, a def sipper for sure... its taken me over half an hour to drink. Its also not a cheap beer, but I know that alot goes into making this beer.

a phenominal example of a true lambic. Not a gateway beer by any means. People who drink this after only being familiar with "lindemens framboise or kasteel rouge might have a hard time getting this one down , but I loved it. I would love to try it on draft. If you can afford it I would buy a case and let some age for awhile to see how it comes out

note:
poured into my new belgium globe, couldn't find any expiration date on the bottle. The bottle looked like it had been through hell, but it def worked for me

sent to me by onenote81 , thanks for the trade!

might be a little hard to find, so def check it out if you can

02-14-2009 07:57:12 | More by gdfan47
TheLongBeachBum

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Kriek 100% Lambic – 750ml Green Bottle - Cork Dated 1996.

Unlike the commercial “pseudo-Kriek” producers who so shamelessly bastardize the meaning of this much facsimiled style. THIS Offering is made with Whole Cherries and 6 month old Traditional Lambic. Matured in Oak/Chestnut Casks, it is then Bottled.

I poured this 1996 bottle in one go, first into a large Glass Jug & the remainder into a Cantillon Tumbler. I served it at 55 Deg.F.

Appearance: Pours with a stiff effervescence at first. Fantastic looking flamingo pink, richly smooth, fine-foamed head. A hazy rose colored body with a slight brown tinge. Thankfully, it will never win any cherry cough syrup “look-alike” awards, for it has a look that unapologetically says – traditional Kriek.

Nose: Unashamedly dry, incredibly acidic & deeply pungent Cherries set amidst a sharp biting smell that tugs at your nasal hairs, this in turn reacts with the moisture in your nasal cavity & upper mouth. This is what it must be like to snort Cherry Cocaine.

Taste: WOW – F**K ME!!!! This has to be one of the best aged Krieks that I have ever had. This offering is maybe 7-8 years old, but it is in *fine form*. My eyes water, I jest not, as I delve into this fabulous acidic Lambic-Rosé. A parching arid hydrophobic entrance removes all semblance of a useful Beer Review from my mouth. The tongue is stripped & taste-buds are rendered useless as my cheeks pucker in the Kriek acid bath. Can a Beer really have Hydrophobia?

Mouthfeel: Dissolved Cheek Cells and Teeth Enamel. Acerbically Dominant.

Drinkability: I could drink this ALL day, every day, until I die of Cantillon Kriek-induced Dehydration.

Overall: Another, 5-Star, superb, totally traditional offering from Cantillon, the Masters of Lambic. Put simply - This Kriek is fiercely traditional in style, no fruit syrups or added sugars here. It does not “fuck around” in the tastes department either. Traditional Kriek Virgins - Be Prepared to have your Cherry, well & truly, Plucked!
Just how it should be: Supremely Dry with a Pungent Aroma of Acidic Cherries.

This Review is dedicated to my fellow BA & “Extreme Lambic-Head”, Rastaman. No doubt he would have preferred this offering to the commercial St. Louis "Gueuze-Lambic" that he sportingly endured for his #750 Review.

Congratulations & Cheers on the 750 Rastaman, the extra beer in your Mug is well deserved; you are a true asset to BA.com!

06-04-2003 22:47:45 | More by TheLongBeachBum
francisweizen

Arizona

4.9/5  rDev +14%

12oz capped and corked bottle, no date on the cork, but I assume that this is a 2000 or so vintage. I have to agree with Darren on this one...this beer is a true masterpiece, and Cantillon are indeed the masters of traditional lambic beers. This beer pours a unique ruby red colour with a nice, fizzy, white head. The aromas are lamic funk, barnyard junk, gestating skunk, chunky munk, sour cherries, sour sours, and more. The taste is a tart explosion of flavor with some ripe cherries bursting into the foreground right before the extremely, long, dry and dehydrating finish. The mouthfeel is crisp and never cloying and the drinkability is ace as well.

One of the best lambic beers, and probably THE best kriek out there!

F

07-22-2003 06:44:01 | More by francisweizen
marburg

4.9/5  rDev +14%

(Added review) Ah, the politics of fruit and beer. I believe the 2004 is vastly different from prior bottlings, and my visit to the brewery in August suggests a new type of cherry may be the culprit (confirmation from the importer pending). Either way, the 2002 and 2003 are delightfully tart and overwhelmingly puckering; the 2004 is richly flavored with cherry. Either way, it's a winner. A little bump.

(Original review) Bottled in 2002. Huge sour aroma hits from the instant the cork is popped. My mouth was salivating left and right at the expectation of the much-desired tartness.

Poured blood red -- garnet, ruby, et cetera. The medium-sized head sputters out like cola fizz. Only very slightly cloudy since, at the recommendation of the back label, I tried to avoid decanting too much of the yeast.

Poignantly sour aroma. Very acidic in the nose. A light but very discernable cherry aroma is buried underneath powerfully crafted sourness. Similarly, the cherry is fairly light and fleeting despite the bright, vibrant color. Light, and crisp, this is a true delight and very easy on the tongue despite the initial feeling that it's somehow biting or caustic. Indeed, it's quite the opposite -- pure fucking joy.

Tart, acidic, and sour from the tip of the tongue to the back of the throat. You get used to it after a while, and the cherry becomes slightly more prominent, and it's certainly just a tiny bit bigger on the tip of the tongue.

An amazing, amazing beer. Anyone looking for a true-to-form, delight-to-drink lambic ought to try this at his or her earliest convenience.

12-19-2004 21:40:45 | More by marburg
Halcyondays

4.9/5  rDev +14%

750 mL bottle, 2005 Vintage, shared with my brother and his girlfriend, my cousin, my sister and her husband, picked up at the Total Wine in Glendale, AZ,

A: Pours an attractive pinkish red, light head, no lace.

S: Classic Brett aroma/horse blanket, cherries, pomegranate, lactic acid.

T: Opens with a burst of delicious lactic acid. Heavy lemon, with the essence of the cherries. They're there, but they've been completely fermented out. The fruit, as light as it appears in the finished beer through the beginning and mid-palate, jumps out to give a great finish surrounded with the acid.

M: Quite acidic, but not rough at all. The acid makes the body with a slightly sweet finish, moderate/high acidity overall. Perchance I wanted more acidity to give it a 5?

D: This frankly is fantastic beer. Delicious, incredible lactic acid and funk flavours, that just begs another sip to be taken. I went through this so fast, the acidity and fruit flavour were to die for. My brother opened up a bottle of Mersault at the same time, and while I love White Burgs and it was a good wine, the difference in overall complexity between the two was striking and clear in the Cantillon's favour for something that was half the price. A must try if it's available. About as perfect as a fruit lambic gets, I think the age is well apparent in the complexity of this beer.

08-01-2010 07:36:00 | More by Halcyondays
oglmcdgl

4.9/5  rDev +14%

On tap at the devils den. Baller!

A- perfection in a glass two huge fingers of overflowing angelic pink head that settles with some time to a small cap and a few spots of lace. Deep hazy magenta in color. Wow. That's amazing looking stuff.

S- bright bold sour cherries and funky good times. Biting acid and barnyard.

T- a crush of sour cherries,lactic and malic punches. Funky wet wood and lemon juice. Tart for days. Earthy, down to ground at times. But its sour cherries that win the battle and its a landslide.

M- lighter then medium in body and an aggressive champagne like carb that finishes extremely clean. Huge pucker and the mouth juices for more.

D- I am in awe of what again is a world class brew from a world class brewery. If it wasn't for the fact its about the buggiest thing out there I'd drink it all day.

08-14-2010 21:28:53 | More by oglmcdgl
shamsoftabriz

Kentucky

4.9/5  rDev +14%

A: Deep, luminous rosewood with light fermentation. Imagine a slightly cloudy triple-brewed cup of Oolong Tea.

S: Spellbinding complexity that iincludes hints of tannin, citrus, and the musty/barnyard overtones that others have already mentioned. The tartness tickles the nose long before the beer actually touches the tongue.

T: More sour than any other Oud Bruin or Flemish Red I've tried. The smell provides a preview of what you're in for, but it never really prepares you for the crisp, clean, ultra-tartness. Give it a chance. Once acclimated, your mouth is in for a saliva-inducing fresh aftertaste that is an absolute home run.

M: The aggressive sourness resonates so strongly that--for this beer--the mouthfeel is almost inseparable from the taste. Aftertaste lasts a long, long time (which is, in this case, a very good quality)

D: I had no trouble finishing the 1 pint & 9.4 ounce bottle, but its something that will definitely go down easier for folks that are already sour beer aficionados. Not something I'd recommend as an introduction to the category to a person who has never tried one.

Concluding thoughts: A bit formidable at first, but once the mouth adjusts, this hybrid-style beer should satisfy both lambic fans and Flemish Red fans alike. Just be prepared to pucker up. An instant, delicious cure for dry-mouth. Sip and savor.

10-02-2010 03:02:15 | More by shamsoftabriz
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +14%

2008 bottle split and poured into tulips.

A: Dark pink/red hue. Tiny amount of light pink head. Tiny soapy lace ring remains.

S: Awesome dirty funk. Like taking a whiff of Jean Van Roy's filthy arm pits as he blends a fresh kriek. Full on dark cherry aroma. Hints of wet wood and dusty attic. Just a faint bit of vanilla. Fantastic!

T: Sour cherry power! Wow! The sweetness of the fresh cherry hits your tongue and lulls you into a trance and then BAM! Super eye crossing sour punches you in the face. The funk is mild. It's much more lactic sour being showcased here.

M: Light and dry body. Mild carbonation.

O: Fantastic beer. I will clean the shelf next time I see this one.

03-21-2011 02:52:38 | More by beerwolf77
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

very interesting to drink, stinky barnyard smell, quite sour and acidic, not too much fruit characteristic but the cherry flavour is there, bone dry aswell, which is how i like my lambics.

02-16-2002 20:09:09 | More by rastaman
Realale

Missouri

Bottled in 2001.

Even the color is complex! Sort of a pinkish/orangish/reddish shade. Bit of a head, but it quickly dissipates.

The nose . . . let's see how many characters do I get for a review? Hmmm. I'd better just summarize. Sure there are some sour cherry/strawberry/cranberry notes, but nothing dominates. Substantial brett. components of horse blanket, barnyard, and, to use the French . . . merde. Then there are the acidic citrus notes - lemon, lime, who knows what else. Again, its all completely integrated. Literally mouth-watering. Simply stunning.

In the mouth its all Cantillon. The incredible acidity is primary, but its supposed to be, this is a lambic after all. The fruit notes are there, as well as a hint of wheaty/malty grain, but the grain notes are the understudy's understudy in this production. Everything from the nose is there, plus the faint grainy notes, for just a bit more complexity. There is even a prickle of carbonation to make it more lively on the palate.

The finish is amazingly long, and quite dry. It just goes on and on, and on and on, gently echoing the acidic fruit for what seems like minutes. Quite a ride, and unlike most other things that inhabit the world of beer. A treasure.

12-15-2002 10:01:01 | More by Realale
MJR

Missouri

Bottled in 2001.

Despite what I'd read, this bottle was not a gusher...I'd hate to waste a single drop of this heavenly nectar...

Appearance: Pours a strange mix of colors: pink, red, orange, and garnet. The head on this one barely even shows up from the outset, and quickly fizzes down to a ring of large bubbles around the edge of my glass. There seems to be a bit of chill haze...

Smell: Here's where it gets interesting! Sharp cherries and assorted berry aromas blend perfectly with the powerful smack from the wild yeasts. Horse blanket, farmhouse, musty, whatever you call it... There are very faint citrus hints as well...maybe lemon. This brew has more complexity in it's nose than many breweries can pack into their whole line! Amazing complex and perfectly integrated.

Taste: Damn! The acidity and sourness assert themselves strongly from the beginning! Not for the faint of heart or those afraid of something new! There's the fruit flavor, but it doesn't come across as sweet; it's more of a sharp note. Then there's the musty character. I notice a bit of a grainy flavor that is clearest and easiest to pick out in the aftertaste. Dry, complex, and never-ending.

Mouthfeel: Thin mouthfeel with an amazing dryness and crispness due to the spontaneous fermentation sucking out every possible sugar molecule.

Drinkability: If you're the type of drinker who can enjoy this unique type of beer, the drinkability is quite high. The crispness, dry finish, and thin body just beg for another sip.

Painfully traditional and so damn good...I need to get more of this. Hallelujah!

12-26-2002 19:14:52 | More by MJR
orbitalr0x

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Yet another Cantillon lambic I've been dying to try. Cork evacuates the bottle with a nice pop. Bottled in 2003. Pours from the bottle a stunning red with hints of pink...a nice bubbly pink head tops it off. Brilliant ruby when held up to the light. The nose comes with a sour, astringent cherry mixed with a splash of vinegar, a hint of lemon and a healthy dose of barnyard, dirty laundry funkiness that is trademark Cantillon...simply lovely.

First sip is a rush of acidic, mouth puckering sour. Hints of lemon peek through as the vibrant sour cherry tones flow over the palate. The barnyard, earthy, woody, dank funkiness is simply spectacular. A perfect mix of lambic and fruit that creates an incredibly rewarding drinking experience. Amazing.

Small bubbly carbonation couple with a nice light body that flows over the tongue. Each and every taste bud stands up at attention with each sip taking in the sublte complexities that only Cantillon can deliver. I have a feeling that when I finish this bottle I will be left aching for more and looking forward to the next time I can partake in this finely crafted, spontaneously fermented masterpiece. History, art, brewing and nature all in one bottle.

Bottled 18 April 2011..freshest bottle I've had - sampled 09-20-2011

Pours into my glass a deep vibrant cherry red with a fizzy pink head that disappears rather quickly. Aromas are bright with cherries along with an underlying deep sour funk. Lots of oak notes with lemon zest. Musty, earthy and a touch of vinegar. Lovely.

First sip brings bring sour cherry pucker upfront. Acidic funk and oak meld together. The underlying lambic is musty and earthy with lemon zest. Super complex, it finishes dry and extremely tart with lingering cherry notes.

Mouthfeel is light with very spritzy carbonation that explodes across the palate with each sip. Such a great depth of flavor, I love how every time I drink a Cantillon beer it's like a new experience. Wish it was easier to drink this more often!!

03-06-2005 06:26:07 | More by orbitalr0x