2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,448 | Reviews: 617 | Show All Ratings:
Retail1LO

3.75/5  rDev -13%

I've strayed from sours for so long. However, I couldn't resist ordering my first Cantillon when it was offered on tap here at The Wealth of Riches kickoff event at the Blue Dog in Chalfont. Pours a brilliant, vibrant, yet cloudy rose color with a minimal head. The nose is dominated by vinegar. Only the faintest cherry pushes through. The taste is sour, but seemingly only because of the vinegaresque qualities from the aforementioned nose. I had Raspberry Tart last night, and felt that it was both sweet and sour. This is just sour for the sake of being sour. But that's cool. I get it. Glad I tried it.

09-17-2011 16:13:29 | More by Retail1LO
capra12

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Reviewed with speedwayjim and dj schnitzel served out of a tulip on 9/25/09.

Appearance: cloudy, bloody red with hints of orange.

Smell: sour cherries and earthy wood

Taste: opens with sour unripened cherries, which last till the end. I taste what think is brett at the finish leaving a pucker effect.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with and intense puckering affect.

Drinkability: This is growing on me but its drinkability is rather low, but worth a try.

09-26-2009 02:37:37 | More by capra12
jammalamma

New Hampshire

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a 750ml and popped it open soon as I got home tonight! Love the style, sours, funkys, and this one was over the top-

Pours a deep pink, reddish color with a quickly fading white head.
Smells very tart right off the bat, all cherry raspberry oaky tart. Very pleasant, and a peek into whats to come..
Taste is crazy Tart, sour fruit makes you pucker every sip! There is a vinegar taste just as strong as the sour if not stronger- border too much.
Stringent mouth feel, corse and abrasive. I love these brews, but this one will be a difficult finish for one person.

Over all, try it if you can. Traditional and authentic- Kriek Lambic at its purest

11-21-2009 03:27:14 | More by jammalamma
Mosley1212

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Enjoyed at Brick Store Pub over Labor Day weekend along with my girlfriend Meggie88. Poured from the bottle into a Cantillon glass.

A--Pink cherry, ruby color with a short-lived bubblegum pink head that dissipated quickly, leaving only a small amount of lacing down the side of the glass.

S--Cherries, yeast, vinegar, and lemon juice. This thing had both sweet and sour components.

T--Lip-puckering sourness on the first sip. Vinegar, bitter cherries, and pure lemon juice. Then, once the palate adjusted, the sweetness of the cherries powered through and the sourness diminished.

M--Light-bodied with a bit of carbonating scrubber bubbles. It was a refreshing drink once the sourness left.

O--This was a better-than-average lambic, but it wasn't the most earth-shattering beer I had over the weekend.

09-06-2011 18:54:17 | More by Mosley1212
Alieniloquium

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

750 mL bottle poured into a plastic cup. 2008 bottle.

Appearance - Light reddish body. Small white head. A few wisps.

Smell - Cherry and a ton of acidity. Little bit of hay. Some faint funk, but it's there.

Taste - Grain is strangely the first flavor. Then sour cherry. And I mean really sour cherry. Intense sourness of all kinds. Lactic and even some acetic acid. All other components are masked.

Mouthfeel - Overly sour. Medium carbonation. Dry body.

Overall - This is way too sour. Good otherwise.

09-01-2013 21:08:09 | More by Alieniloquium
Higravity

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

I wasn't too big on this one. The red pink body with a top of girlie pink foam let you know what's coming. Smell is very acidic with small fractions of candied fruit and a funk of something rotten. The taste is utterly acid with the cherry only prevealent in the aftertaste. This really lives in the memory as the carbonation fizzs off my tongue it leaves the life of cherry and floral smells. A nice sipper but not something I would buy but I wouldn't mind helping to drink by splitting a bottle.

02-12-2006 19:03:49 | More by Higravity
matthewfuchs

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

pours a dark pink, not quite red. Into a snifter, little head due to pour. smelled pretty bad to be honest, sour infiltration of my nose. first taste is a shock to the senses, tingle in the back of my jaw. surprisingly smooth mouthfeel, i thought it would be more of a sting. overall drinkibility is ok, good to try. a true sour good tasting kriek lambic.

08-20-2007 03:57:16 | More by matthewfuchs
letsgopicnic

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

poured into a Chimay goblet.

color- dark rose.
smell- vinegar and cherries
taste- vary sour. made my face pucker. wasn't really digging it much at first but it grew on me by the end of the bottle. not really a style i think i'm gonna try again for a while but over all decent.
drinkability- wouldn't want to drink more than one bottle.

03-15-2009 20:54:15 | More by letsgopicnic
BarrelO

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottled on October 28, 2008.

A: Medium red body. One-finger light pink head that fades to nothing.

S: Cherries, vinegar, and a touch of funk.

T: Any cherry flavor that might have been present has long since left the building. Surprisingly, there isn't even really any funkiness. Just an unrelenting barrage of sourness. I will say that it does grow on you after a while.

M: Light-bodied, a bit of carbonation.

D: This is not a training wheels lambic by any stretch of the imagination. This is hardcore like Quick Draw McGraw. And to be honest, it's not really up my alley. But if only the most authentic lambics will do for you, then have at it.

09-08-2009 00:43:26 | More by BarrelO
FloppyDog

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

Brewed on Feb 2008, and poured on September 29, 2009 into a Duvel glass.

Appearance is a hazy ruby with a medium-sized pink head that dissipates within a minute.

Aroma is of funky wet animal/funky cherry sweetness.

Taste initially hints at sweetness, but this is only for a fraction of a second, at which point the drink starts tipping toward the sour side, and then finishes completely sour. and when I say sour...I mean SOUR, almost like straight vinegar.

Mouth feel is medium-light with very fine carbonation. Overall, unlike anything I have ever had! Even though it is tough to drink because it is so sour, I prefer this to the Lindeman's that tastes overly sweet like cherry syrup.

Something that is great to try to broaden your horizons, but not something I can drink all the time.

09-30-2009 03:08:12 | More by FloppyDog
BigCheese

Bottle @ brewery.

I prefered the raspberry based lambic. Found the cherry flavors more cough/syrupy sweet, with less of the salty tartness. More dark cherry flavors, more my preference, I could see how others would enjoy this though. Everyone needs to sample cantillon brews, this one included.

05-09-2012 14:37:11 | More by BigCheese
champ103

3.65/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Pours a cloudy ruby red. A small white, nearly red cap of foam forms. Light lace.
S: A funky, musky, doughy malt aroma that is fruity. Mostly cherries. A sweet tartness from the fruit used. Lots of barnyard goodness.
T: Wow, this is sour. Mouthpuckering. After I get use to the sourness a light cherry fruitiness and funky barnyard hey.
M/D: A light body, but with a nice snappy crispness. The sourness really makes this hard for me to drink.

The sourness is really a shock to the senses at first. I never really get past it, but I do appreciate the craft that went in to the making this. Not an everyday beer, but very interesting to try. Nothing else I have had so far is quite like it.

01-07-2009 00:57:45 | More by champ103
redmosquito

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

ClarkVV is helping to educate me on Lambics. I can smell the horse blanket from about 10 feet. Thecherry aroma stays in the background but it is still there. It pours a dusty reddish amber color with a pinkish head. Flavor goes from sour to barnyard back to sour with a tingling mouthfeel that helps to make up for the dryness. The barnyard fades away with every sip, and the tartness accentuates the cherry. Thanks Clark.

12-28-2004 21:44:38 | More by redmosquito
Andreji

Colombia

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

This was an interesting beer from cantillon. I must admit to not being in any ways a great fan of Lambics but cantillon was out of the question in such a statement.

The pour right away reminds me of home made raspberry juice because of its imposing red tone with a white head that is thick but weak at the same time, and has some red tones as though "dirty" somehow.

The smell is strong in red fruits, amazingly attractive at once, combining further on a stronger beery feel that lets you understand this is no conventional juice (mike's hard lemonade folks).

The taste however unimpressed me. it was great if you put it all apart: fruits, an ale sensation, a sour ending...but all combined turned into a strong medicinal sensation, sort of like trying children's cough medicine. I overlook that because I know with a bit more expertise I'm sure I'll understand this beer much better. whenever back in belgie I'll give it a second chance.

07-08-2005 01:57:29 | More by Andreji
jim102864

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Only the occassional dabbler into lambics, I found myself in the spirit of experimentation, so I grabbed the Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic and kicked its tires.

Popped the 750 ml wrapped, capped and corked bottle and poured a few fingers into my Duvel tulip. A tight patch of bubbles hugged the glass and a thin layer of head appeared.

The nose was slighty musty with cherries and cream prevelent.

Very sour, puckering taste. Musty and bitter from fermented cherries. Yowza.

The mouthfeel was equally sour and bitter in the finish. The sides of my tongue were attacked with very sweet tartiness, like the candy. Once again, yowza.

Clearly an acquired taste. Not a personal favorite style. Not a brew to introduce the consumer to the style either. See Monk's Flemish Sour Red ale (I know, not a lambic, but sour nonetheless). I may revisit this once my pallette comes to appreciate the style more.

11-02-2008 12:55:14 | More by jim102864
clayrock81

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a thin red color with minor light red head and little red lace patches. A very tart smell of light fruits, mostly cherry (that's all I really smelled) and some oakiness. The cherry/fruit is there in bunches, but this medium-bodied brew is extremely tart, a little too tart. It goes down smooth but the tartness rubbed my tastebuds a little raw as it finishes very dry w/ tart and woody flavors. This is a beer designed to be sipped on as it complements a hearty meal; I did not have the pleasure to drink it over dinner so maybe my review is a little off.

03-15-2009 17:09:14 | More by clayrock81
ne0m00re

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

10/13/10- Review of a 750 mL bottle.
A: Bright clear pinky red, nice white creamy head.
S: Barnyard funk, mild sour cherry, fresh fruit.
T: Vinegar tartness, apple cider, strong sour cherry, soda consistency.
M: Really frothy soda.
D: Pretty good.

You get what you'd expect. It's a pretty good kriek.

11-25-2010 03:23:13 | More by ne0m00re
beckje01

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

A- Hazy red with no head and no activity.

S- Tart cherry nose some farmhouse funk.

T- Super tart flavor, a touch of cherry but mostly sour the sour just makes my mouth water.

M- No activity at all, thickness I think is ok still no 100% sure on this style.

D- A slow sipper very harsh to start.

12-01-2008 08:05:41 | More by beckje01
PapaEugene

Netherlands

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

On my hunt for non-chemically pimped up Kriek beers I ended up with a few good advices after posting on the BA forum. This was one of them.

A: A great blood red color with a pink two finger head.

S: Cherries, marzipan, cloves and some citrus notes.

T: SOUR... and then cherries, almonds, something woody and a slight bitterness.

M: Low carbonation and a dry finish.

D: Because of the sourness it's not a beer that I will drink a lot. Still SO MUCH better than all this Krieks that are nothing more than beer with added cherry juice and artifial sweeteners.

10-11-2009 09:37:23 | More by PapaEugene
jera1350

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bright red body with a fizzy and foamy pink head. Leaves a little lace, but not much. Good retention of the head.

Funky, wet wood with sour cherry notes.

Fresh unsweetened cherry pie. Plenty of tartness from the wild yeast and the cherries. Very acidic. Some oak character and very little sweetness. The cherries are the definite highlight here.

Very dry and puckering. Light bodied.

This one is growing on me a little. I am finding that I like more sweetness in this style, but even without, this one has complexity and a real high quality to it. This won't be for everyone, but will please people wanting sour.

02-21-2011 00:11:17 | More by jera1350
jneiswender

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

Had a sample of this at the brewery following a tour of the place. Served cool from the bottle in a wine like glass.

A-ruby red body and a pink ring head.

S-dough, fruit stone and grass

T-very faint cherry flavor, sour, wine, .

M-light, sparkly

D-very nice complexity. Not a very evident cherry flavor. I would drink this again.

08-11-2010 03:24:41 | More by jneiswender
drsyko

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

A - Deep ruby red, decent head, very pretty, rather whimsical.

S - Somewhat fruity, but less rich than I had hoped/anticpated given its appearance.

T - Sour/tart in a pleasant way.

M - Light-bodied, thin, borderline watery.

D - A refreshing alternative to your average beer, good if you're in the mood for something a little different but not too sweet.

09-26-2010 01:22:02 | More by drsyko
coreyfmcdonald

375ml bottle into a tall tulip

A: Pours a slightly hazy ruby color with three fingers of the shortest lasting head I've ever seen. Seriously, the head was completely gone in less than ten seconds. Carbonation appears very strong, though.

S: Loads of musty Brett funk with sour cherries in the background. This beer is full of funk - quite musty. The cherries are subtle, but certainly there.

T: Cherries are now upfront with moderate lactic and acetic acid in the background. Brett funk is still there - lots of barnyard flavor. Pretty in your face with the sourness and the funk.

M: Light mouthfeel with strong carbonation.

O: A decent Kriek, but the acetic acid is a bit much. If everything was tuned down a bit in this beer the complexity would come out a bit more I think. It's tough to rate this style since there are so few traditional versions of it, but I prefer 3F by a large margin.

09-22-2012 23:42:16 | More by coreyfmcdonald
ipogios

Cyprus

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark rasberry-like colour. The aroma of this Fruit Lambic beer is dominant by rasberry and cherry hints. There was cranberry flavour but i think the cherry flavour in this beer is dominant. Decent Fruit Lambic

12-03-2002 00:20:33 | More by ipogios
ViveLaChouffe

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a 750 ml bottle dated 2001

Pours a dark pinkish-champagne color and very very still. The aromas are like nothing I've ever smelled in a beer before. Very tart and sour aromas with a pungent smell in there that I just can't identify. Maybe a cheese or barnyard aroma. Anyway...

This one pulls no punches on your palate. Very bitter and sour. Easily the most sour beer I have tasted. Some is bitter and sour from the lambic, some is bitter and sour from the cherries. Defniitely an unsweetened lambic! Some salty flavors too. Very nice mouthfeel with a dry salty finish. A few hours later, I still can taste that sourness in my mouth.

This is far from an everyday brew and not too drinkable but it certainly kept you interested. This is my first Cantillon and probably my first "traditional" lambic. I feel like a whole new world has opened up in front of me but I'm not sure I want to be there just yet.

12-28-2003 04:02:31 | More by ViveLaChouffe