Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 668 | Hads: 2,136
3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

The beer was poured into champagne flutes.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear pink to light red coloration. The beer is pretty much flat for carbonation. Very thin whisp of lacing remain on the glass.

Smell: The beer has a very acidic cherry vinegar smell on intial smelling. Further smelling of the beer reveals a pleasant wheaty, asparagus funky pleasing yeasty smell. The smell alone was enough to convince my buddy not to even try the beer. More for me ha ha ha.

Taste: The beer most definately has a very slap you in the mouth acidic tart cherry punch. The beer then goes into a very funky wild yeast spin. The beer is definately a complex mother and is not for every beer drinker.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: Inspite of all the acidic tartness the beer still manages to be very drinkable and refreshing. The beer has a very flat light bodied consistancy. (869 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

A - Poured out a clear pinkish color almost like pink lemonade with a fizzy, bubbly, white, one-finger head.

S - It smelled musty and sour. Definite cherry aroma.

T - It tasted of strong sour cherry and some yeast. It kinda had a lemon-like taste too.

M - It was very dry and puckering. A light bodied beer.

D - This is a pretty good lambic. The mouthfeel was a little odd, too puckering. (392 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

750 ml bottle, brought back to me from Brussels by a buddy. Thanks Matty!

A - 2006. A bunch of funky shit under the cap. I'm worried. It looks moldy. Whatever, let's see. Popped the cork, beer itself looks fine, underside of cork looks fine. Wiped the top of the bottle. Pours into the St. Feuillien globe a nice raspberry/fiery ruby red with a scant pink head. Not much carbonation observed.

S - Cheesy, funky, horseblankety goodness. Nothing particularly standout, as it smells like a Cantillon should, but however nothing is off. Feet. This is about as "funky" a beer can smell. The more it warms, the easier it is to actually dissect the cherries/funky bacteria.

T - Ultra sour, ultra puckering. The more your tastebuds get used to it, the more you're able to pick out underlying sour cherries and heavy yeast notes. No sweetness, just incredibly tart all around. Love the aftertaste on my lips and on the back of my tongue the most.

M - Attenuation is good, carbonation is lacking. While there, it hardly plays a role, when it seems like it could do nothing but help this beer out. My only real complaint with the beer is with the mouthfeel... but it's a solid complaint.

D - It's good, and I'll get through the bottle, albeit a bit slower than usual.

Notes: My first "good" Cantillon proved to be good. I still don't get the point of cork + crown. Every bottle I've opened from them has been seemingly tainted by the process. Whatever. (1,448 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Had a small bottle of the 2006 vintage this past weekend. Poured it into my Cantillon tulip glass I purchased at the brewery when I visited in spring 2007. Pours a pinkish red color with little-to-no carbonation. The taste was prickly to the point of being very sour. I don't remember this kriek being so powerful on the taste buds. But that's what I like about Cantillon: lambics that taste how they should. Instead of sweet, this taste tells you that you are drinking a lambic. I would not recommend this to the first time taster, but for a lambic lover, Cantillon makes the best on the market. (596 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours out a crimson red, which glints in the light. Some slight bubbles of gas explode out of the top of the liquid and create a slight trace around the edges. A head... no. Not at all. Boy the colour is amazing though.

Very tart aroma. The cherry is very minimal. Only hints of sour cherry. Otherwise it smells like a dull Guezue.

Very sour and tart, with sour cherrys to finish in the back of the palate. Very much like drinking a champagne more then anything.

Not what I was expecting. I thought this would be a touch sweeter, and the cherry flavours more predominant, but it's like a dumb down guezue. Mild body, with really sour puckering flavours. Quite drinkable and refreshing, and very nice for some different to the norm. (734 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%

Enjoying this courtesy of Cbutova as his 50th review. Drank it mildly chilled and let it breathe for 30 minutes. Pours a very carbonated fizzy pinkish red with a 1 finger head that dissipates instantaneously. The lower half of the flute glass is clad in carbonated bubbles. Smell is very funky, tart sourness and just straight up funk. Big sour citrus taste, cherries; not for the weak at heart. Nice spiky carbonated mouthfeel. I'm not such a big fan of this much sour in one sitting but it is a nice refresher every once in a while. (534 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Had a bottle at the Farmhouse in Emmaus, PA. Poured a beautiful almost clear red with a short pink head. The aroma had a subtle musk with a tart cherry note that also permeated the flavor. This beer tastes like a mellow-flavored, though no less tangy, lambic with a drop of tart cherry juice in every sip. The farmhouse elements are more subdued than usual and frankly I dont think this beer is as rich and tasty as a straight up oude geuze. But I will say, this is a gorgeous looking beer. (490 characters)

375ml corked and capped bottle bought from The Vineyard, Belfast

Poured a bright clear pinky red colour... Pinky white head poured quite thick and fizzy then faded fairly quickly to almost nothing... some sparse carbonation shoots to the surface... no real lacing..

A - Strong lambic sourness bursts out of the glass, quite light sour cherry notes, some faint almond nuttiness, cider vinegar - maybe some red wine vinegar too, definite mustiness, some pepperiness, no real sweetness comes through, lemony, no maltes or hops, wet hay traces..

T - Very tart fruits (strong lemons, apple, some grapefruits, light sour cherries), very strong lambic sourness, earthy, no real sweetness, some faint marzipan, definite cider vinegar notes, faint hints of vanilla...

M&D - Pretty sharp and dry initially with some smoothness just coming through... pretty refreshing but probably couldn't drink more than one in a sitting...

Overall - A excellent kriek... probably not for everyone but definitely worth a try... (1,007 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Chicago. Perfect size for two and $7.99 I believe. Bottled in 2006.

Pours a very murky red, cranberry/raspberry juice coloured, fizzy pink head forms, disappears very fast, leaves a few lace spots. Smell is very intense, sharp sour note, very vinegary, intense acidity, nice cherry, oaky, more insane fruity acidity, you can smell this acidity! Taste smacks me good, insane sourness, I thought I had sour beers before this. Oaky cherry, almost saltiness, I find a bit weak on the finish, very acidic, attacks the tongue. Insane. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low-medium carbonation, very harsh, very enjoyable, neat experience. Good thing I have a few more Cantillons kicking around! (729 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

375ml bottle with a bottled-on date of April 18, 2011.

Right after I popped the top, the cork started slowly sliding out of the bottle, so, needless to say, there was plenty of carbonation on the pour. It's a bright hazy reddish pink with a big fizzy pinkish head that recedes to a bubbly collar quickly.

Aroma is definitely Cantillon with the wet hay and lactic acid character that I'm used to in their beers. There are some sweet cherries in there as well which keep the acidity from getting overpowering.

Taste is much less funky than I was expecting with more acidity and a lot more tannins, much drier and oakier than the aroma suggests. Less cherry than the aroma as well. The finish is where the earthy funk comes out a little, with the wet leather and oak lingering.

Mouthfeel is well-carbonated and light bodied making it very drinkable.

This is one of the more drinkable Cantillons I've had but lacks the complexity of some of the others, like the Lou Pepe Kreik I had last week. Decent beer. (1,007 characters)

From Leura Cellars.

Pours all head and no beer to start with. Head fades quickly. Deep pink. Clear and bubbly.

Aromas of lemon, sour, funk.

Taste is very sour to start with, vinegar, lemon, tart, cherries. Dry finish, very refreshing. Sour/tart flavours diminish as bottle goes down and becomes more drinkable.

Mouthfeel light and spritzy.

All in all a little too tart for this palate. I had high hopes of excellence, but never mind.... (442 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

I am splitting a bottle of this with a buddy of mine. Not sure what to expect but excited to try somethig new. I am drinking it at room temp and letting the bottle breath for a little before pouring. The cork says corked in 2/2002
I am using a snifter to consume.
The beer pours a strawberry red with a tight pink head that fades quickly to and edge layer and then to nothing. Aroma is apparent at the pourt with very tart cherry sour and a little bit of general funkiness eminating from the bottle and my glass. I also get a bit of biscuity yeast mixed in. First sip reveals a thinner than expectd body and very mild carbonation. THe flavor is very tart and gives me a puckering effect on my mouth every sip. The sour cherries are prevelant and the beer finishes very dry like a rich red wine. QUite an interesting beer. I enjoy the sourness and tart flavors, but it makes it tougher to finish the bottle. Next time will have more than one person over to finish. (965 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

pale pink color with a very lightly pink head, good and thick. smell: whew! some cherries but mostly supertart sourness makes me drool. palate is very austere, tart, dry, most puckering thing ever. some fruit. very, very tart. very dry finish. I liked it, but it is definitely at the dry and mouth-puckering end of the spectrum. (328 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a hazy, rose/rust color. 1/6 inch head of an off-pink color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of citrus, slight tart malt, hint of sweet malt, earthiness, and a hint of hop. Fits the style of a Lambic - Fruit. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carboantion level. There is also a strong associated tartness. Tastes of citrus, earthiness, tart malt, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of grain. Overall, great aroma and body. (444 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

Although I purchased the bottle this year, it was bottled in 2008. It pours a fizzy-looking deep pink color, although it doesn't taste as carbonated as it looks. There was little head to speak of on top, but maybe that is due to the few years of age on the bottle. The aroma is mildly sweet and fruity, but a bit of a twang does creep in. The flavor has an intriguing musky tartness, with a mild cherry sweetness that helps balance the funk.

Admittedly, I have little experience with sours, but this beer honestly tastes much like the a couple of batches of homebrew I made that were wildly infected. Of course, this beer looks much better than my murky mess, and the addition of cherries adds a nice fruity sweetness to the wild, yeasty tartness. Still, the basic flavor and character is very similar to my botched smoked porter. As a result, I have to come to one of two conclusions: (1) Cantillon Kriek tastes only a little better than bad homebrew; or (2) I am capable of making world-class sours (albeit unintentionally). Because I enjoyed this beer (and for the sake of my ego), I'm going to assume it is the latter. (1,124 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

I've strayed from sours for so long. However, I couldn't resist ordering my first Cantillon when it was offered on tap here at The Wealth of Riches kickoff event at the Blue Dog in Chalfont. Pours a brilliant, vibrant, yet cloudy rose color with a minimal head. The nose is dominated by vinegar. Only the faintest cherry pushes through. The taste is sour, but seemingly only because of the vinegaresque qualities from the aforementioned nose. I had Raspberry Tart last night, and felt that it was both sweet and sour. This is just sour for the sake of being sour. But that's cool. I get it. Glad I tried it. (607 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

$15 750ml bottle 2007 vintage. The cork looked like it was starting to mold which was slightly bothersome...I chilled the bottle and then let it breathe for half an hour as the label suggested. The couple sniffs i took from the bottle as it warmed were sour cherries as to be expected. It looks like pink juice?!? It smells like sour cherry juice and then must. It has an earthy taste that at first seems less sour than expected and the aftertaste kicks in. This has a real nice sour kick and the cherry flavor is subtle. This is actually seems very drinkable despite the sour kick but then the acidity gets to me. This almost reminds me of the lik-a-stik candy from back in the day.

update - 08/15/09 375ml bottle 02/26/2008 bottling date

This is good but doesn't hurt my stomach like the previous bottle seemed to but that could be due to the difference in size. It has a good sourness and is like a sour pixie stick, cherries, musty, not a lot of funk. This is a good kriek but the lou pepe is much better. (1,011 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

750ml, bottled 22 October 2008, into a Duvel tulip.

A: Lovely ruby body with a delicate 1/2" head of ultra-fine pinkish foam. The head slowly settles into a soft ring and an island of foam, with the occasional sheet of temporary lace sliding down the side of the tulip. Very attractive lambic.

S: The initial inhalation of this one was the single most acidic aroma I've ever experienced, but some time to breath releases a more approachable nose of extremely sour cherries, barnyard funk, and a little bit of vinous oak and vanilla. Nice, but a little too far skewed toward the acid-bomb side of things to be really transcendent.

T: Starts, continues, and finishes with puckering, almost overwhelming sourness - probably the most sour beer I've tasted so far. Mixed in with the pure acidity is a lovely interplay of cherry, oak, and funk. The aftertaste is particularly delicious with its subtle oak and light cherry sweetness. It's a nice thing to look forward to after the physical shiver that each sip's sourness delivers. Intense.

M: Very interesting in this department - it seems smooth, medium-bodied, and almost still at first, but a couple flicks of the tongue turn each sip into a near meringue of creamy foam. Cool.

D: As much as I'm enjoying this beer, I just can't give it a good score for drinkability. I feel like I've been at it for ever, and I've had maybe 6 ounces. Finishing the bottle is going to be a serious challenge, something I didn't find to be the case with Classic Gueuze or Bruocsella. That said, it's going to be fun challenge.

Notes: Three Cantillons down now, and hopefully many to go. I just love the depth and complexity that these lambics have, even if this one was a little over the top with the tartness. I may also be influenced slightly by the fact that I just recently had the pleasure of drinking the brand-new and awesome Cisco Cherry Woods, which hit many of the same notes but with far more freshness and balance. I'd love to try a fresher bottle of this, as I think that might be more to my tastes.

Cheers! (2,057 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a 750ml and popped it open soon as I got home tonight! Love the style, sours, funkys, and this one was over the top-

Pours a deep pink, reddish color with a quickly fading white head.
Smells very tart right off the bat, all cherry raspberry oaky tart. Very pleasant, and a peek into whats to come..
Taste is crazy Tart, sour fruit makes you pucker every sip! There is a vinegar taste just as strong as the sour if not stronger- border too much.
Stringent mouth feel, corse and abrasive. I love these brews, but this one will be a difficult finish for one person.

Over all, try it if you can. Traditional and authentic- Kriek Lambic at its purest (652 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Date: 5-13-14
Location: Eagle Provisions
Glassware: Tulip

Appearance: Ruby red in color with a rosy carbonated head. A regular pour gave the beer a massive head which settled within the minute. The beer itself is hazy with a large opaque edge that nearly let's you see down into the beer.
Aroma: An intense sour smell at the start. The cherries make a huge splash with some apple and lemon.
Taste: Again with the intense sourness. The beer lessens in intensity with every sip and them a number of flavors come through. The sour cherries are strong but the other fruits remain. The interesting flavor I really get is of a mild salt water which makes me want to drink more.
Mouthfeel: Light to medium in body. High carbonation. The lactic acid is everywhere in this beer starting with mouthfeel. I don't know if I should place this under mouthfeel but almost instantly this beer made myself and my girlfriend burp and have stomach rumbling. (Consequently, it wasn't her favorite).

Notes: The cork was cracked in the bottle and there appeared to be some sediment stuck to the cap but the drink itself drank within reason. Only small flavor issues that I didn't mention. (1,171 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

A: Poured a vigorous 1 finger pastel pink head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing. Brew was a cloudy, hazy red.

S: Sour cherries, wood, earth, dirt, and skunk.

T: Sour and incredibly tart opening that really makes you pucker. Ends with a sweet, malty, really surprising explosion that does not last. Almost no aftertaste on this one.

M: Surprisingly full bodied and smothering.

D: Real enjoyable and this one grew on me throughout the experience, but it is again, a little too tart for my taste. (550 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

750 mL bottle poured into a plastic cup. 2008 bottle.

Appearance - Light reddish body. Small white head. A few wisps.

Smell - Cherry and a ton of acidity. Little bit of hay. Some faint funk, but it's there.

Taste - Grain is strangely the first flavor. Then sour cherry. And I mean really sour cherry. Intense sourness of all kinds. Lactic and even some acetic acid. All other components are masked.

Mouthfeel - Overly sour. Medium carbonation. Dry body.

Overall - This is way too sour. Good otherwise. (506 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Enjoyed at Brick Store Pub over Labor Day weekend along with my girlfriend Meggie88. Poured from the bottle into a Cantillon glass.

A--Pink cherry, ruby color with a short-lived bubblegum pink head that dissipated quickly, leaving only a small amount of lacing down the side of the glass.

S--Cherries, yeast, vinegar, and lemon juice. This thing had both sweet and sour components.

T--Lip-puckering sourness on the first sip. Vinegar, bitter cherries, and pure lemon juice. Then, once the palate adjusted, the sweetness of the cherries powered through and the sourness diminished.

M--Light-bodied with a bit of carbonating scrubber bubbles. It was a refreshing drink once the sourness left.

O--This was a better-than-average lambic, but it wasn't the most earth-shattering beer I had over the weekend. (806 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured into a Riedel tulip. The liquid is a cloudy bright pink with lots of bubbles rising through it. The pour kicks up a generous thick light pink head that fades to a thin cap after a few minutes and leaves almost no lace.

Aroma is mouth-puckeringly tart balanced by some modestly sweet fruit. Honestly, I wouldn't think cherries of the bat if I didn't already know there were cherries in it. There's a moderate amount of barnyard and hay, but as my nose gets adjusted to the tartness it starts to smell increasingly sweet.

Taste follows the nose. Starts off with some tartness that is not as intense as the nose originally suggested. There are some subtle hints of funk, but mostly it's lemony-sour. Mid-palate, the fruitiness comes out, but it's always playing second-fiddle to the tartness. The finish is pretty acidic, and the aftertaste is cherries, along with a weird almost mothball-y taste that isn't entirely pleasant to me, but is interesting.

Mouthfeel is light-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Overall, pretty nice - tastes like complex funky lemonade. Everything's balanced and it has a nice depth of flavor, but this style just isn't quite my cup of tea. (1,198 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

This beer is much more Cantillon 100% Lambic than it is Kriek. The cherry is in the color and in the nose a tad but flavor is intense and quite sour. The flavor is so intense that while I enjoy sour beers it is simply impossible to deny that it does affect the drinkability.

Hope this is helpful.