Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
skunk242

06-17-2014 01:45:25 | More by SteelersX
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

1.25/5  rDev -71.1%

The only beer I've never finished in my long yet illustrious life! Never before have I wasted and poured a beer down the drain!

75cl Green cork and crowned bottle. Bottled 30 Aug 2007, poured down my sink 7 Aug 2008.

Opened for friends during a Belgian beer evening. Nearly lost a couple of friends that night.

This is one nasty, sour puss of a Lambic. Some modern more commercial Lambics are very sweet (to try and get the youngsters interested), this is at the other end of the scale, in fact it is off the scale completely for sourness.

I have visited the Cantillon Brewery in Brussels and I have tried to like/embrace this style of brewing, but I can see why it is struggles in the modern world.

Try it by all means, but please don't claim it is a wonderful drink.

08-10-2008 12:52:25 | More by BlackHaddock

1.5/5  rDev -65.3%

04-13-2013 21:03:06 | More by rdub
Gaisgeil

1.83/5  rDev -57.6%

Alright, so I'm no lambic afficianado. Maybe with time I'd learn to appreciate these brews, but after having the few I have I'm not warming to them in the slightest. This being among the very worst.

Pours a soft and cloudy medium red/blush in color with no head to speak of. Smells extremely organic, a bit like soil, leafy. Quite sour smelling, vaguely cherry-like. Taste is unexplainable, intensely sour, notes of rotting cherries and dirt. I'm sorry but this just isn't my bag I guess. I'll continue to try but as it is I had to force down what I did drink, some of it went straight down the drain.

Slàinte! (but for God's sake, be careful!)

08-25-2005 08:47:02 | More by Gaisgeil
Pballa4lyfe

Maryland

1.93/5  rDev -55.3%

A- a burgundy red color, somewhat pinkish head, looked like a terrific lambic

S- this is where things headed down hill...smelt terrible...like sour patch kids gone bad...a hint of cherry with a musky overtone

T- awful...the sourness..the tart bite..mixed together with a hint of cherry...very acidic

M- carbonation, almost like sparkling water

D- well...i finished a 2 pint bottle...but struggled to get it down, i figured i spent $18 on the bottle, i might as well finish it

Overall, completely dissatisfied with this lambic after hearing all the great things about it...it was worth to try it, but was not my cup of tea at all and now upset i spent the $18 on it...the St. Louis Frambouise was much much better

10-09-2010 04:00:49 | More by Pballa4lyfe
jreitman

Extremely off smelling aroma. Don't know if this came from a bad keg or what, but something was definitely amiss. Nose was warning me to abort before the first sip and I should have listened. Cherry flavor was there, but overpowered by vinegary tartness to the point of puckering.

08-24-2002 18:17:13 | More by jreitman

01-30-2013 01:15:31 | More by LBIsurf
milesfan76

2.13/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Spied this at the store I searched out to get the Double Bastard and being a fan of other lambics, I had to try it.

A: Pours about the brightest red I've ever seen. Not much head, but that could be due to the size of the sample (1 pint, 9 oz. bottle split four ways).

S: Smells like a typical lambic, but not a very strong cherry scent as I was expecting.

T: Ooh! Really, really, REALLY sour. Too sour for my liking.

M: Light body. Don't want to keep it in my mouth too long, though, because it's so sour.

D: Nope. I just can't get past the sourness. If sourness is what you like in a lambic, then this is certainly the beer for you. Personally, though, I'll take a Lindemann's any day of the week.

11-11-2006 22:40:21 | More by milesfan76
Krakistophales

Connecticut

2.3/5  rDev -46.8%

A: Pours a deep, slightly translucent red, yielding about 2 fingers worth of off white head that recedes into a film of bubbles.

S: Sour, green apples, cider, slightly vinegary.

T: Initial blast of sour, followed by cherry, raspberry, lemon/lime, and has a sour, vinegar finish.

M: Very good carbonation, still very "lively" in your mouth, with lots of bubbling, popping and smacking as it goes down.

O: Not sure if I'm a sour fan, I figured this would be sweeter and more cherry flavored, like lindemann's kriek, but this one was pretty middle of the road for me. A bit too sour for my taste, and I'm having a hard time finding flavors other than cherry and sour.

05-03-2011 00:57:15 | More by Krakistophales
DavoleBomb

2.38/5  rDev -44.9%

Poured into a tulip. 2010 vintage.

3.5 A: First pour yielded 4+ fingers of head. I needed a few more pours to get a full glass. Anyway, hazed cherry plum color. Three fingers of frothy pink head with average retention and very little lacing.

3.0 S: Tart cherry throughout. Intense mustiness, like an super old house occupied by a super old person. Hints of dirty diaper and a touch of oak. Surpringly simple and not particularly alluring.

2.0 T: Good god is this unbalanced. Super tart cherry with way too much acid. Tons of fruity lactic acid with more acetic acid that a vinegarette. For a while, it was difficult to taste much beyond that as an automonic puckering shrinks my mouth to a third it's usual size. As my mouth finally adjusted to the acid (which took about 10 oz), new flavors began to creep in. Oak is in moderate amounts, as is a tannic astringency. Funk can finally be found and it is again old people funk.

3.0 M: Lighter body. Overcarbonated, but not "explode in the mouth" level. Decent creaminess from the body.

2.0 D: Suggested food pairing: Tums, Pepsid, Mylanta. This is one of the least drinkable beers I've ever had - no balance, fairly simplistic for the style, and skin meltingly acidic. If you have a bottle of this in your basement, don't open it. Rather, keep it in case you accidentally ingest an entire box of baking soda.

Edit: The last 8 oz. or so (of the 750) were much more palatable after getting used to the sourness. However, I don't think a beer should require a 17 oz. introduction.

07-18-2011 20:15:27 | More by DavoleBomb
Arbitrator

2.42/5  rDev -44%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2007 vintage bottle into a glass. I tackled a 750mL on my own. Bad idea...

Now, before I go into this, I want to preface my review with the comment that I really enjoy Cantillon. I do. I love the Lou Pepe series, I've enjoyed every aged Cantillon I've had, and if my recent trading history were a romantic comedy, it would be titled, "Must Love Cantillons." Keep that in mind as you read.

A: Pours a clear, dark cherry red color with short-lived light pink head. Low-carbed as lambic usually is.

S: Tart dark cherries, oak, vinegar, and light lactic sourness. There's a horsey funk as well. The aroma is actually outstanding, and if that's all I had to take away from the beer, I'd be happy.

T: As with the smell, a flavor that is ruled by tart, dark cherries with a light lactic sourness. Tannins and a funky flavor in the finish. It has a dry, acidic note at the close, which is ok in small quantities but gets me coughing by the time I'm halfway done with the bottle. It's insanely imbalanced. Feels like I'm chewing on a battery. Maybe the younger ones are better, but I had a fresh bottle at the brewery last year and that one hurt too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Geneva Convention forbade Cantillon Kriek to be poured over the wounds of POWs. It's that intense.

M: Light-bodied, low carbonation. The finish is extremely dry and acetic, and after a while I am reaching for my Tums. Unpleasant to say the least. Masochism in a bottle.

D: This is unpleasantly acidic and a chore to drink. I've tackled full 750mLs twice now (once at the brewery, once at home) and I can safely say I'm never opening a bottle of this alone again. It's just not meant for human consumption out of a 750mL. Maybe to clean your car engine. I'd give this a lower score overall (a C- for a distinctly unpleasant beer is being generous), but other vintages have been outstanding and pleasant. So I'm averaging it.

P.S. After pounding on my mouth and esophagus for a while, it went to work on my stomach and gave me diarrhea.

07-12-2010 03:29:45 | More by Arbitrator

FosterJM

140th review on BA
12 oz bottle, capped and corked
Bottled 9 September 2008
Bottle to Wine glass as per bottle instructions

App- A light colored pink with some tinges of red.

Smell- Didn't get much but overall, cherries, tarty and vinegar.

Taste- A sour cherry with undertones of a light vinegar. I'm not a fan of this style so far.

Mouth- Light, crispy and thin. Not too much body to this. Other Lambiks ivs had have seemed to have more body. Maybe this was just a bad bottle. I sure hope so.

Drink- I'm not a fan of the style. I'll give this a fair rating on how I liked it but I'll have to try more of the style to see if I can find a good one.

12-26-2010 19:02:12 | More by FosterJM
Kemmerlin

2.58/5  rDev -40.3%

Perhaps I am just not use to a lambic quite like this one.

A: Deep purplish red with very small and quickly disappearing head. Looks like a fruit punch.

S: Sour cherries and yeast not much else but what would you expect from a lambic.

T: As it enters the mouth a quick and sudden urge to puke overwhelmed me but the after taste was much better leaving a faint taste of sour cherry on the breath.

M: Light carbonation and feels like you're drinking a spiked fruit punch.

D: The taste drastically hurts the drinkability but if it was not for that I would say it would be better.

04-15-2008 20:19:08 | More by Kemmerlin
Overlord

2.58/5  rDev -40.3%

Shared this with Jwolfie70. That is a day that will be long remembered.

Pours a vibrant, reddish pink. Looks really awesome! Ruby, thin pink crust. I like the appearance of it.

From the moment we cracked the bottle, the smell permeated the entire room. Frankly, it was a bit frightening. A nearby lightbulb blew out, paint began to peel from the walls, and I heard the faint keening of lost souls escaping into the night sky. Oh boy ... just how sour was this going to be?

Egads! You ever seen Temple of Doom? Remember that wicked skull cup Indy was forced to drink from? The one that subjected the imbiber to the "Black Sleep of Kali?" Well, I'm pretty sure this beer was in that cup.

Just absolutely insane sour, unripe, tart, cherry, vinegar, and oaky base. Holy shit. This is barbaric. I have an iron stomach. I'm pretty sure that I have half-digested license plates in there from when I swam up the Gulfstream. But this was unreal. I've occasionally described lambics/gueuzes as "ass-puckering." This motherf****r will turn your digestive tract inside out.

Not particularly carbonated. Could have used more, but a decent mouthfeel nontheless. It's possible that the insane sourness annhilated a lot of the bubbles.

Everyone should try!