2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,442 | Reviews: 617 | Show All Ratings:
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

1.25/5  rDev -70.9%

The only beer I've never finished in my long yet illustrious life! Never before have I wasted and poured a beer down the drain!

75cl Green cork and crowned bottle. Bottled 30 Aug 2007, poured down my sink 7 Aug 2008.

Opened for friends during a Belgian beer evening. Nearly lost a couple of friends that night.

This is one nasty, sour puss of a Lambic. Some modern more commercial Lambics are very sweet (to try and get the youngsters interested), this is at the other end of the scale, in fact it is off the scale completely for sourness.

I have visited the Cantillon Brewery in Brussels and I have tried to like/embrace this style of brewing, but I can see why it is struggles in the modern world.

Try it by all means, but please don't claim it is a wonderful drink.

08-10-2008 12:52:25 | More by BlackHaddock
Gaisgeil

1.83/5  rDev -57.4%

Alright, so I'm no lambic afficianado. Maybe with time I'd learn to appreciate these brews, but after having the few I have I'm not warming to them in the slightest. This being among the very worst.

Pours a soft and cloudy medium red/blush in color with no head to speak of. Smells extremely organic, a bit like soil, leafy. Quite sour smelling, vaguely cherry-like. Taste is unexplainable, intensely sour, notes of rotting cherries and dirt. I'm sorry but this just isn't my bag I guess. I'll continue to try but as it is I had to force down what I did drink, some of it went straight down the drain.

Slàinte! (but for God's sake, be careful!)

08-25-2005 08:47:02 | More by Gaisgeil
Pballa4lyfe

Maryland

1.93/5  rDev -55.1%

A- a burgundy red color, somewhat pinkish head, looked like a terrific lambic

S- this is where things headed down hill...smelt terrible...like sour patch kids gone bad...a hint of cherry with a musky overtone

T- awful...the sourness..the tart bite..mixed together with a hint of cherry...very acidic

M- carbonation, almost like sparkling water

D- well...i finished a 2 pint bottle...but struggled to get it down, i figured i spent $18 on the bottle, i might as well finish it

Overall, completely dissatisfied with this lambic after hearing all the great things about it...it was worth to try it, but was not my cup of tea at all and now upset i spent the $18 on it...the St. Louis Frambouise was much much better

10-09-2010 04:00:49 | More by Pballa4lyfe
jreitman

Extremely off smelling aroma. Don't know if this came from a bad keg or what, but something was definitely amiss. Nose was warning me to abort before the first sip and I should have listened. Cherry flavor was there, but overpowered by vinegary tartness to the point of puckering.

08-24-2002 18:17:13 | More by jreitman
milesfan76

2.13/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Spied this at the store I searched out to get the Double Bastard and being a fan of other lambics, I had to try it.

A: Pours about the brightest red I've ever seen. Not much head, but that could be due to the size of the sample (1 pint, 9 oz. bottle split four ways).

S: Smells like a typical lambic, but not a very strong cherry scent as I was expecting.

T: Ooh! Really, really, REALLY sour. Too sour for my liking.

M: Light body. Don't want to keep it in my mouth too long, though, because it's so sour.

D: Nope. I just can't get past the sourness. If sourness is what you like in a lambic, then this is certainly the beer for you. Personally, though, I'll take a Lindemann's any day of the week.

11-11-2006 22:40:21 | More by milesfan76
Krakistophales

Connecticut

2.3/5  rDev -46.5%

A: Pours a deep, slightly translucent red, yielding about 2 fingers worth of off white head that recedes into a film of bubbles.

S: Sour, green apples, cider, slightly vinegary.

T: Initial blast of sour, followed by cherry, raspberry, lemon/lime, and has a sour, vinegar finish.

M: Very good carbonation, still very "lively" in your mouth, with lots of bubbling, popping and smacking as it goes down.

O: Not sure if I'm a sour fan, I figured this would be sweeter and more cherry flavored, like lindemann's kriek, but this one was pretty middle of the road for me. A bit too sour for my taste, and I'm having a hard time finding flavors other than cherry and sour.

05-03-2011 00:57:15 | More by Krakistophales
DavoleBomb

2.38/5  rDev -44.7%

Poured into a tulip. 2010 vintage.

3.5 A: First pour yielded 4+ fingers of head. I needed a few more pours to get a full glass. Anyway, hazed cherry plum color. Three fingers of frothy pink head with average retention and very little lacing.

3.0 S: Tart cherry throughout. Intense mustiness, like an super old house occupied by a super old person. Hints of dirty diaper and a touch of oak. Surpringly simple and not particularly alluring.

2.0 T: Good god is this unbalanced. Super tart cherry with way too much acid. Tons of fruity lactic acid with more acetic acid that a vinegarette. For a while, it was difficult to taste much beyond that as an automonic puckering shrinks my mouth to a third it's usual size. As my mouth finally adjusted to the acid (which took about 10 oz), new flavors began to creep in. Oak is in moderate amounts, as is a tannic astringency. Funk can finally be found and it is again old people funk.

3.0 M: Lighter body. Overcarbonated, but not "explode in the mouth" level. Decent creaminess from the body.

2.0 D: Suggested food pairing: Tums, Pepsid, Mylanta. This is one of the least drinkable beers I've ever had - no balance, fairly simplistic for the style, and skin meltingly acidic. If you have a bottle of this in your basement, don't open it. Rather, keep it in case you accidentally ingest an entire box of baking soda.

Edit: The last 8 oz. or so (of the 750) were much more palatable after getting used to the sourness. However, I don't think a beer should require a 17 oz. introduction.

07-18-2011 20:15:27 | More by DavoleBomb
Arbitrator

2.42/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2007 vintage bottle into a glass. I tackled a 750mL on my own. Bad idea...

Now, before I go into this, I want to preface my review with the comment that I really enjoy Cantillon. I do. I love the Lou Pepe series, I've enjoyed every aged Cantillon I've had, and if my recent trading history were a romantic comedy, it would be titled, "Must Love Cantillons." Keep that in mind as you read.

A: Pours a clear, dark cherry red color with short-lived light pink head. Low-carbed as lambic usually is.

S: Tart dark cherries, oak, vinegar, and light lactic sourness. There's a horsey funk as well. The aroma is actually outstanding, and if that's all I had to take away from the beer, I'd be happy.

T: As with the smell, a flavor that is ruled by tart, dark cherries with a light lactic sourness. Tannins and a funky flavor in the finish. It has a dry, acidic note at the close, which is ok in small quantities but gets me coughing by the time I'm halfway done with the bottle. It's insanely imbalanced. Feels like I'm chewing on a battery. Maybe the younger ones are better, but I had a fresh bottle at the brewery last year and that one hurt too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Geneva Convention forbade Cantillon Kriek to be poured over the wounds of POWs. It's that intense.

M: Light-bodied, low carbonation. The finish is extremely dry and acetic, and after a while I am reaching for my Tums. Unpleasant to say the least. Masochism in a bottle.

D: This is unpleasantly acidic and a chore to drink. I've tackled full 750mLs twice now (once at the brewery, once at home) and I can safely say I'm never opening a bottle of this alone again. It's just not meant for human consumption out of a 750mL. Maybe to clean your car engine. I'd give this a lower score overall (a C- for a distinctly unpleasant beer is being generous), but other vintages have been outstanding and pleasant. So I'm averaging it.

P.S. After pounding on my mouth and esophagus for a while, it went to work on my stomach and gave me diarrhea.

07-12-2010 03:29:45 | More by Arbitrator
Kemmerlin

Colorado

2.58/5  rDev -40%

Perhaps I am just not use to a lambic quite like this one.

A: Deep purplish red with very small and quickly disappearing head. Looks like a fruit punch.

S: Sour cherries and yeast not much else but what would you expect from a lambic.

T: As it enters the mouth a quick and sudden urge to puke overwhelmed me but the after taste was much better leaving a faint taste of sour cherry on the breath.

M: Light carbonation and feels like you're drinking a spiked fruit punch.

D: The taste drastically hurts the drinkability but if it was not for that I would say it would be better.

04-15-2008 20:19:08 | More by Kemmerlin
Overlord

2.58/5  rDev -40%

Shared this with Jwolfie70. That is a day that will be long remembered.

Pours a vibrant, reddish pink. Looks really awesome! Ruby, thin pink crust. I like the appearance of it.

From the moment we cracked the bottle, the smell permeated the entire room. Frankly, it was a bit frightening. A nearby lightbulb blew out, paint began to peel from the walls, and I heard the faint keening of lost souls escaping into the night sky. Oh boy ... just how sour was this going to be?

Egads! You ever seen Temple of Doom? Remember that wicked skull cup Indy was forced to drink from? The one that subjected the imbiber to the "Black Sleep of Kali?" Well, I'm pretty sure this beer was in that cup.

Just absolutely insane sour, unripe, tart, cherry, vinegar, and oaky base. Holy shit. This is barbaric. I have an iron stomach. I'm pretty sure that I have half-digested license plates in there from when I swam up the Gulfstream. But this was unreal. I've occasionally described lambics/gueuzes as "ass-puckering." This motherf****r will turn your digestive tract inside out.

Not particularly carbonated. Could have used more, but a decent mouthfeel nontheless. It's possible that the insane sourness annhilated a lot of the bubbles.

Everyone should try!

01-15-2009 07:38:02 | More by Overlord
FosterJM

140th review on BA
12 oz bottle, capped and corked
Bottled 9 September 2008
Bottle to Wine glass as per bottle instructions

App- A light colored pink with some tinges of red.

Smell- Didn't get much but overall, cherries, tarty and vinegar.

Taste- A sour cherry with undertones of a light vinegar. I'm not a fan of this style so far.

Mouth- Light, crispy and thin. Not too much body to this. Other Lambiks ivs had have seemed to have more body. Maybe this was just a bad bottle. I sure hope so.

Drink- I'm not a fan of the style. I'll give this a fair rating on how I liked it but I'll have to try more of the style to see if I can find a good one.

12-26-2010 19:02:12 | More by FosterJM
dansmcd

Australia

2.63/5  rDev -38.8%

750 ml bottle into a champagne flute.

A - Pink and bubbly, with a short lived foamy pink head.

S - White wine, vinegar, lemon juice.

T - Tart yet earthy, vinegar dominates with guava. Im struggling to get any cherry out of this.

M - Light, thin, fizzy. Cidery.

O - This was my first lambic. I wanted to try the best so picked up a Cantillon. Very disappointing to be honest. Maybe I got a bad bottle, maybe lambics are just not for me but I dont get the attraction. An easy to drink, thirst quenching, refreshing drink but I just didnt get any of the complexity or full flavour that Ive read about.

08-28-2011 23:56:23 | More by dansmcd
SPThirtyThree

Colorado

2.78/5  rDev -35.3%

A: Cloudy reddish brown. Pours a finger of slightly pink head.

S: Funky sweaty lambic sour. Very vinegar-like nose. Slight cherry, but with a goaty acid smell.

T: Dry, puckering and bitter. This one stings the saliva glands under the tongue. Slightly salty towards the end, but it's hard to get over the mouth pucker this beer causes.

M: Can I say "puckering" three times in one review? Fairly high carbonation, too, but everything takes a back seat to the sour here.

D: Low.

I thought this beer was very similar to the New Belgium Lips of Faith Kriek...which was another beer that was too sour for me.

01-13-2010 22:14:11 | More by SPThirtyThree
JohnnyBarman

Ontario (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev -34.2%

Bottle from Knightly Spirits in Orlando. Dated 2008.

Pours a bright cherry red, with little to no lacing or head. Looks like cherry juice.

Nose is sour cherries, sugar, citrus and cream, a touch of that lambic horse blanket funkiness. Musky.

Wow, is this brew ever sour! I thought I was prepared for such an astringent brew, but I was certainly mistaken. A real palate cleanser. Sour, sour cherries with vinegar and oaky, musky flavors. Demands one's entire attention.

Medium bodied, with a light carbonation to deliver the sourness right to your door. However, the acidic quality provides a real burn that I'm not enjoying.

As high a quality of lambic beer that this is, I have to say I really didn't understand it. Not an enjoyable experience whatsoever. This was just oppressively sour and was a chore to get through. Instead of sour, fresh cherries, I just got...well, sour. Well made, but definitely not my thing. I might try it again in the future to see if a different batch works for me, but as for now, I'll have to count myself among those who just don't dig authentic lambics.

07-28-2010 17:41:14 | More by JohnnyBarman
atigerlife

Hawaii

2.88/5  rDev -33%

Both a 2005 & 2006 vintage were tasted, poured into a Lindemann's flute.

Pours red, clear, light carbonation and a nice pink head.

Aroma of tart cherries.

Taste was very tart cherries, farmhouse, sour, some musty taste.

Mouthfeel was flat and lightly cleansing.

Overall, not good. I would definitely drink this fresh as the 2-3 years of aging didn't help this beer [actually, I'm pretty sure it hurt it a lot].

07-20-2008 21:46:48 | More by atigerlife
Backer2004

2.9/5  rDev -32.6%

Okay, this one just did not do anything for me. This was the first of three fruity beers I tried in a row, but my tastebuds were just shot ofter this one for a while. Not that there's anything wrong with this beer, but maybe I just don't like the style (Kriek's). Too bitter and tart with a aftertaste that just continues too long. I may grow into this style later, but just not one of my favorite lambics.

01-12-2006 02:55:47 | More by Backer2004
jmarsh123

Indiana

2.9/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very dark pink with a huge light pink head that fades down to about 1/2 finger and lingers.

Lots of sweet cherry aroma with some acidity and oak.

Starts off with very sweet cherries almost like cherry pie filling. Some vinegar and oak on the back end. Not so much traditional sourness as just biting acidity.

Lighter bodied beer with medium high carbonation.

Not horrible, but below average and nowhere near the standard I usually expect from Cantillon. The cherry sweetness and massive acidity create a medicinal taste.

07-01-2012 20:42:40 | More by jmarsh123
BearsOnAcid

2.94/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

2007 on cork - 375ml bottle

Small, white bubbly head. A cloudy dull maroon color.

I didn't even have to put my nose up to it to smell this one. I was at least 3 feet away and it was pungent. Vinegar, deep, rich cheery aromas and a light sweetness all make up a wonderful funky bouquet of smells. Slight hint of band-aid and barnyard funk.

Taste was unforgiving. Lots of vinegar and sourness. You can't really even feel the carbonation until it hits the back of your throat because the sourness takes over your whole mouth. I feel it in the insides of my cheeks.

As my mouth gets more accustomed to the drink I can start to taste a very light cherry flavor that develops in the aftertaste. The acidity of this beer is dominating.

It coats my mouth with a buttery feeling and then leaves it dry like a red wine. Amazingly, it hasn't effected my teeth much. Usually with sours they will start to feel a little sensitive and gritty.

I have to say, this was brutal.

01-20-2010 00:26:19 | More by BearsOnAcid
IchLiebeBier

Appearance: Glowing red; no head

Aroma: Very sour; sickly sweet

Taste: Very dry; sour; tart fruit; lingering fruit flavor

Remarks: Refreshing; not bad for a kriek, but still not my thing overall

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 12:05:17 | More by IchLiebeBier
roblowther

3.03/5  rDev -29.5%

750ml bottle, bottled last year. Bright, circus red with very little head. The smell is sour, sour sour. A little like dirty socks soaked in cherry juice. The taste is puckering at first, but it mellows a bit as you get used to it. It finishes with a nice warm sour cherry taste, but wow...that start. The mouthfeel is soft, buttery, silky and just terrific. The drinkability is just severly limited by the sourness. Definitely a beer to have on a full stomach. On an empty one, it is so sour I just can't push through. I'd have to say this is one I admire the artistry but the art just don't do it for me.

04-14-2008 01:54:54 | More by roblowther
Floydster

3.08/5  rDev -28.4%

12.7 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions for seven dollars, split with my girlfriend this evening while finishing up American Gangster

A-Red color that resembled my tee shirt, barely any head but the one that was there was incredibly bubbly, no retention or lacing, went flat fast

S-Sour cherries, funk, vinegar, hay, other tarty fruits that could not be distinguished, hint of raspberries, and citric acid

T-The puckering effect was a bit overwhelming, cherries were too sour in my opinion, very vinegar-like and acidic, funky yeast in the middle, and a wine-like dry finish, needs some sweetness or more malt to balance it out, too funky for me

M-Tarty mouthfeel, thin body, more carbonation that there appeared to be, thin body, no taste really lasted after the initial sour bite

D-Could not drink much more than a bottle of this probably, only had two to three ounces and still was a little too much for me, heavy but low ABV

Not overly impressed with this but still not bad, first Kriek ever tasted, would like to try another vintage of this and see if it gets better with any age, recommended for fans of sour ales, this was not so much of a lambic in my opinion

02-17-2008 07:47:58 | More by Floydster
oberon

3.1/5  rDev -27.9%

First I will say this is very traditional and well made,but Iam not a fan of the lambic style I have found out.Poured great orange/reddish color with nice looking spritzy head that went quick.Smell had some cherrystone in it maybe a little vanilla?Taste about knocked me over the sourness was too much for me to handle,was expecting a little soureness but this was overpowering.Like I said well made just not a fan of the style.

03-18-2003 13:25:24 | More by oberon
BeerBelcher

3.1/5  rDev -27.9%

Not as good as the gueuze, but still quite a nice beer. Beautiful appearance. A little more tart than I would have preferred, but not bad.

This beer poured ruby red and opaque, with head of tiny white bubbles contrasting the red body...gorgeous. Aroma was gueuze-like with some barnyard funk. Flavor was just slightly sweet, very tart, but not as fruity as I expected. Mouthfeel was clean but not crisp...lingers in the mouth and throat.

Pretty good, but not as good as the Cantillon Gueuze. I had this at the Cantillon brewery in Anderlecht, in the Brussels suburbs.

10-23-2008 02:10:11 | More by BeerBelcher
laituegonflable

Australia

3.1/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours a peach-tinged brown, just a dark pink really, with nice white head, but not enough of it. Just a thin rim of cloud, although lacing is delightfully dense and sticky. Strong bead - good-looking fruit beer, really. Could use more head though.

Nose is intensely sour. Large amount of brett, with a pongy brie rankness to it, and a large metallic coppery whiff as well. A fresh tart character at the back probably suggests fruit, but there is not a lot of distinctive cherry character. An impressive funk, but it just seems very brett, and I suspect this nose could be quite easily homebrewed with the right ingredients. I'm prepared to be wrong, though.

Oh yeah, taste is hugely sour. A real citric acid kind of intensity all over that. Right from the front taste my tongue feels like a layer is coming off it. Gets richer and slightly more mature towards the mid, with more of that pongy cheese rankness, some rubber and leather notes and some soil coming through as well, and what do you know - of all things - some tart, underripe cherry character as well. Yeah the richness on the late back palate are fruity hints, but the sourness really just pervades everything in a way I haven't experienced in a beer before. An intense, teeth-grinding, head-expanding explosion that makes you shriek "Yes! Come in my mouth some more, you sour-faced bitch!" Very impressive, for want of a better word.

The mouthfeel rips the fucking enamel from your teeth and I can feel ulcers popping out in my mouth. It just feels like swallowing acid. Insane, and painfully drying. It's too impressive for me to hate it though.

An unforgettable beer experience, but by 'unforgettable' I think I mean I will be getting major restorative work done on my digestive system as a result, and will forever live with the pain. A whole bottle was unbearable, and half of this went down the drain. This beer is a lot of things, but drinkable absolutely is not one of them.

01-22-2010 02:57:09 | More by laituegonflable
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.18/5  rDev -26%

Pinkish strawberry colour with a thumb sized, bubbly head that is a pink shade of white and fades to a thin lacing around the edges.

Very sour on the nose with a light cherry aroma but also some raspberries. Other than the incredibly sour and tart like aroma this one is pretty clean on the nose with a tiny amount of acidity.

Light cherry taste to begin with that is overridden by the incredibly sour taste and a lot of acidity. There is some yeast and tart like flavours too but to be honest the sourness is so intense it masks most of the rest of the taste.

A smooth texture to this one with a light to medium body and an incredibly sour and slightly dry feel with mild carbonation.

I felt the taste was too sour to fully enjoy and it made it a lot harder to detect the subtle flavours of this beer.

1001 Beers Blog: