Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 665 | Hads: 2,115
3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

Pinkish strawberry colour with a thumb sized, bubbly head that is a pink shade of white and fades to a thin lacing around the edges.

Very sour on the nose with a light cherry aroma but also some raspberries. Other than the incredibly sour and tart like aroma this one is pretty clean on the nose with a tiny amount of acidity.

Light cherry taste to begin with that is overridden by the incredibly sour taste and a lot of acidity. There is some yeast and tart like flavours too but to be honest the sourness is so intense it masks most of the rest of the taste.

A smooth texture to this one with a light to medium body and an incredibly sour and slightly dry feel with mild carbonation.

I felt the taste was too sour to fully enjoy and it made it a lot harder to detect the subtle flavours of this beer.

1001 Beers Blog:
http://abarwithnoname.wordpress.com (860 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a light reddish brown color, with a very thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains a lot of tart cherries along with some Belgian yeast, vinegar-like smell which is normal for the style.

T: The taste starts out with a very strong cherry sourness that dominates and doesn't yield too much to anything else. There's a little bit of Belgian yeast but just like the smell, the taste is very acidic and vinegary into the after-taste.

M: Crisp and smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: A little tasty if you're into the extreme sourness, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, while I don't mind sours now and again, this one just didn't appeal to me. (840 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a white wine glass.

A: A rosy red color with absolutely no head.

S: Tart cherries with the faint hint of musky and funky yeast.

T: The overwhelming taste of puckering tart and sour cherries dominate the palate. The funky yeast is always in the background.

M: Very little carbonation along with a thin body.

D: Not very drinkable at all, I didn't even finish the bottle. I guess that lambic is an acquired taste and I have yet to acquire it. (479 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -20.3%

I have to admit that I have only been drinking so sour beer for about a year. Although I have not rated every beer I have consumed, I have had over 15 different sour beers and this was no where near the top.

It poured okay. It was a typical, flat, headless pour. It looked like a cloudy 50/50 tomato/water mix.

The first scent was a bit chemically but the chemical smell faded as the buzz intensified. Not sure if it really left or if I lost the ability to smell.

The taste was okay. It did have a nice strong sour taste with a tangy, sweet aftertaste.

It had a typical mouthfeel. Good but nothing special.

I probably won't buy this beer again but would drink it if given to me. (684 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. The cork (which pops out quite easily) indicates it was bottled in 2004.

Even with a careful pour, it's a rather hazy amberish red. No head at all save a very thing ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. No lacing. Kinda reminds me of a murky sangria.

Quite a nose on this. Musty and dusty, cherry pie and a sharp woodiness. It begs to be pondered and studied for a bit.

I'm glad I took my Pepcid beforehand, because damn if this ain't some sour stuff. Some extremely tart cherry reveals itself behind a wave of general vinegar sourness. A little woody, a little earthy, a little funky, a little vinous. Lots going on here, but the intense acidity turns it into a bit of a chore after a while. Could definitely use a touch of sweetness.

Carbonation is quite minimal, yet the feel is pretty good, a bit slippery with a tiny hint of vanilla sweetness that keeps the tannic qualities in the finish from becoming absolutely puckering.

Overall impression: Very complex and interesting, but half a bottle was plenty for me. (1,070 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%

Musty, wet blanket, funky, woodsy, slight sour cherry, and raw beef? in the nose... complex and interesting. Very assertively sour up front (for me) pick out some spicy astringency, apple peals, and sour cherries in the flavor. Dry mouthfeel with lingering sourness, low carbonation, and acidity. Interesting beer, but lambics are still new to me so I need some warming up to them. (381 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -18.4%

Bottle: sampled at the brewery in Brussels. Poured a pink colored beer with great carbonation and a good head. Aroma is a mix between the raspberry and the Cantillon yeast. Taste is a bit deceiving since it is too much acidic that it kills the rest of the flavours, the raspberry are buried under the acidic tones. I believe that some other lambic -fruit a better balanced then this one and offer a better refreshing taste. (423 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

Pours an awesome murky reddish with orange hints. No lacing or head.

Smells like brett. Musty, almost dusty smelling. Barnyardy and strawlike. Nose intimates at the sour onslaught that is Kriek 100% Lambic, with faint cherries. I really don't get that much cherry, the aroma is definitely funk dominated. Eventually, as the beer warms and breathes, the cherries become more prevalent.

Massive mouth-filling, lip-tingling sourness. Sour beer. Very sour beer. Like lemon juice. Mild vinegar. Cherries are there, but not too strong, be also become more prevalent as time passes. Brett barnyard throughout, with a funky/oaky finish and aftertaste. Really strong sourness with no other flavor/sensation really matching it.

Fairly light feeling with good carbonation. The finish is really try with some acid still residing in the mouth and lips. I like the occasional sour-bomb, but the intensity really limits the drinkability. (926 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -18.1%

Reviewed on 2/18/08. 2006 bottle. Poured a beautiful deep ruby red, very little head. Smelled sour, fruity, some barnyard funk. Taste of very sour cherries. I enjoyed it a lot but it is hard to drink!
Aroma: 8/10
Appearance: 5/10
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 15/20
(3.8/5) (277 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -17.9%

a- This beer is amazing looking. The dark pink body with light pink head is really apetizing looking.

s- This beer smells like straight vinegar. I cant get anything much else from it.

t-tons of sour vinegar flavor. Almost like unripe cherries, there is some fruits specifically cherries that comes through.

m- light carbonation yet thick for a lambic. I am not a fan of thick lambics because they remind me of syrup

d- This one scares me to drink alot because i am afraid I could get gut rot or something (508 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Over the years I’ve heard much about this breweries beers, and as I never really cared much for Lambics till a year or two ago, it was a real treat to find these at my “Second Home The Papago Brewery”.

A resplendent and nebulous cherry red on the pour, the head diminutive, the lace tenuous, with the nose tart and little else noticed. Sweet and sour start, top cadaverous, finish is quite tart, astringent, vinous, and alum dry aftertaste. Different, for sure, and something I will need to re-sample to determine my true feelings for this beer. (551 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance - 4.0
Poured a finger of foamy pink head that steadily reduced . Colour is a deep, barely transparent red.

Smell - 3.5
The first smell is a musty cork aroma (please don't be tainted!) that may actually be the oak barrels that the beer is brewed in. Some fresh cherry (particularly skin), slightly herbal.

Taste - 3.5
Wow, this tastes like sour warheads! I was told of the mouth-puckering sourness before, but this has just blown me away. Wow! There is a distinct damp woody flavour, muted cherry flavour, a little vinegar and the sweetness overpowered by the sourness. Nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - 3.0
Puckering sourness dicatates here, a low level of fine carbonation. Moderately weighted, leaves the mouth feeling a little sticky.

Drinkability - 2.5
Low. True to the style, somewhat refreshing, but I think most would struggle with this, as I did.

OVERALL - 3.65
Perhaps this is a good example of a traditionally brewed lambic, but it is just too much for me. Very expensive also, but it was worth the try. Shoot me for saying it, but I think I prefer Belle Vue Kriek! (1,086 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

A: pink/reddish beer, head that dissipates very quickly
S: brett funk, oak, musty, dampness,
T: corky, oaky, lactic sourness, lemon peel bitterness, tannic, berry fruit, vinegar sour
M: dry finish, but vinegar lingers a bit long

expected a simple and fruity, light kriek, but it has complex flavor.
it is nice, but muddled by various flavors that are going on (368 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -16.2%

Reviewed from notes; originally 9/05/10.

A-This one pours a cabernet red with a reddish pink one finger head.

S-Tart cherries with some acidic and vinegary sour notes.

T-Follows the nose but with mostl our, vinegary notes with some tart cherries.

M-Prickly and pretty highly carbonated with with a slightly creamy mouthfeel.

D-Pretty easy drinking for a sour but I can't discern the difference between this beer and a Flanders Red. (436 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -16%

375ml bottle (2005 vintage)...one of several purchased on clearance - $5/bottle - Really?!? Poured into a gold rimmed Buzzards Bay stemmed glass.

A - Pours a bright but hazy, gleaming cranberry juice like pinkish tinged red. Only the smallest of skim coats of loose white bubbles sits on the surface momentarily before giving it up and leaving behind a thin, fine bubbled collar.

S - Very healthy dose of brett induced funk hits the nose immediately. A bit musty, cellar like around the barnyard funk mixed with oak. All of this surrounds a very tart lactic and acetic sour cherry aroma in the center of it all.

T - Wow - sour, sour, sour. Immediately hit with very sour cherries, extreme lactic sourness, some nice horseblankety funk, some oak. Did I say this is sour??? This rivals Beatification for the most intense sour I've ever experienced - this is actually a bit too much for me.

M - Puckering is the first word that comes to mind. After every swallow, my saliva glands feel like they are literally dripping, fighting with everything they have to counteract this sourness. This actually is a bit reminiscent of some of the worst heartburn I've ever had...just with cherries added. This is just a bit intense!

D - This is a rough one. In small doses, this is an interesting and pretty tasty beer. The full bottle is ending up being a bit much. Gotta find something to counteract this acidity before I attempt to lay down for bed tonight. (1,449 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In a word..SOUR. I’m a big fan of Flemish Sours, and have come to like the Lambics a lot on certain occassions, so the tartness of a beer does not bother me. However, I either got one past its prime, or this is meant to be over the top.

While it did feature a pleasant cherry aroma and flavor, these too were dampened by the tartness. That being said, the palate was a pleasant blend of the ultra-sour, followed closely by a sweet finish...both to an extreme.

All and all, this reminded me of some of those sour kid’s candies I’ve hd, where your mouth puckers up as you eat them, but for some reason, you come back for more. I’m sure I’ll be back for more of this in the future. (689 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer on tap at Anam Cara served in the small Cantillon, wine style, tasting glass.

Filled to the top of the glass, it poured a cloudy reddish/burgundy body with no head. The nose was a little hard to make out in the bar. Some soft fruit and a touch of earthiness.

The taste caught me off guard. Very sour and dry. Tart and sour Cherries. Earthy with a fine carbonation. The best analogy I can think of for this beer is comparing it to cranberry juice. Most labmics are like grocery store variety, tart and sweet. This stuff on the other hand is like hand squeezed/no sugar added. You can definitely taste the difference, but it’s quite a shocker if you’ve never had it before. It ends extremely dry.

Overall a great, “true” labmic. Sour and dry. Not my cup of tea, but definitely worth trying if you want to experience the lambic spectrum. (861 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark rasberry-like colour. The aroma of this Fruit Lambic beer is dominant by rasberry and cherry hints. There was cranberry flavour but i think the cherry flavour in this beer is dominant. Decent Fruit Lambic (217 characters)

From a 750 ml bottle dated 2001

Pours a dark pinkish-champagne color and very very still. The aromas are like nothing I've ever smelled in a beer before. Very tart and sour aromas with a pungent smell in there that I just can't identify. Maybe a cheese or barnyard aroma. Anyway...

This one pulls no punches on your palate. Very bitter and sour. Easily the most sour beer I have tasted. Some is bitter and sour from the lambic, some is bitter and sour from the cherries. Defniitely an unsweetened lambic! Some salty flavors too. Very nice mouthfeel with a dry salty finish. A few hours later, I still can taste that sourness in my mouth.

This is far from an everyday brew and not too drinkable but it certainly kept you interested. This is my first Cantillon and probably my first "traditional" lambic. I feel like a whole new world has opened up in front of me but I'm not sure I want to be there just yet. (917 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Clear pinky red body with bubbles running up the glass. Light pink head which disappears in an instant.
S: Cider vinegar, brettanomyces yeast.
T: Very sour and vinegary. There's some sherbety cherry in the mix but the sourness is 95% of the flavour. Apart from a subtly warming maltiness in the finish there is also no aftertaste. Okay, it does have an incredibly refreshing mouthfeel, but it can't rely on sparkling sourness alone.
O: No flavour, just sourness, but it would go down great on a hot summer's day. (515 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%

A- Hazy red with no head and no activity.

S- Tart cherry nose some farmhouse funk.

T- Super tart flavor, a touch of cherry but mostly sour the sour just makes my mouth water.

M- No activity at all, thickness I think is ok still no 100% sure on this style.

D- A slow sipper very harsh to start. (297 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -15%

A - Deep ruby red, decent head, very pretty, rather whimsical.

S - Somewhat fruity, but less rich than I had hoped/anticpated given its appearance.

T - Sour/tart in a pleasant way.

M - Light-bodied, thin, borderline watery.

D - A refreshing alternative to your average beer, good if you're in the mood for something a little different but not too sweet. (357 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -15%

This one pours a reddest of red colors with a pink head that takes its time leaving. Brilliant color. The aroma is very sour with a certain funk about it. I'm told that is characteristic of the Cantillon, so I'll just accept it. Super sweet and tart cherries. The flavor is much the same. Very tart. Very cherry. Finish is a bit dry ... and sour. This really isn't one of my favorite styles, but this is a well made version. (424 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Had a sample of this at the brewery following a tour of the place. Served cool from the bottle in a wine like glass.

A-ruby red body and a pink ring head.

S-dough, fruit stone and grass

T-very faint cherry flavor, sour, wine, .

M-light, sparkly

D-very nice complexity. Not a very evident cherry flavor. I would drink this again. (333 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

On my hunt for non-chemically pimped up Kriek beers I ended up with a few good advices after posting on the BA forum. This was one of them.

A: A great blood red color with a pink two finger head.

S: Cherries, marzipan, cloves and some citrus notes.

T: SOUR... and then cherries, almonds, something woody and a slight bitterness.

M: Low carbonation and a dry finish.

D: Because of the sourness it's not a beer that I will drink a lot. Still SO MUCH better than all this Krieks that are nothing more than beer with added cherry juice and artifial sweeteners. (561 characters)

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon