2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,444 | Reviews: 617 | Show All Ratings:
redmosquito

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

ClarkVV is helping to educate me on Lambics. I can smell the horse blanket from about 10 feet. Thecherry aroma stays in the background but it is still there. It pours a dusty reddish amber color with a pinkish head. Flavor goes from sour to barnyard back to sour with a tingling mouthfeel that helps to make up for the dryness. The barnyard fades away with every sip, and the tartness accentuates the cherry. Thanks Clark.

12-28-2004 21:44:38 | More by redmosquito
Andreji

Colombia

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

This was an interesting beer from cantillon. I must admit to not being in any ways a great fan of Lambics but cantillon was out of the question in such a statement.

The pour right away reminds me of home made raspberry juice because of its imposing red tone with a white head that is thick but weak at the same time, and has some red tones as though "dirty" somehow.

The smell is strong in red fruits, amazingly attractive at once, combining further on a stronger beery feel that lets you understand this is no conventional juice (mike's hard lemonade folks).

The taste however unimpressed me. it was great if you put it all apart: fruits, an ale sensation, a sour ending...but all combined turned into a strong medicinal sensation, sort of like trying children's cough medicine. I overlook that because I know with a bit more expertise I'm sure I'll understand this beer much better. whenever back in belgie I'll give it a second chance.

07-08-2005 01:57:29 | More by Andreji
jim102864

Connecticut

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Only the occassional dabbler into lambics, I found myself in the spirit of experimentation, so I grabbed the Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic and kicked its tires.

Popped the 750 ml wrapped, capped and corked bottle and poured a few fingers into my Duvel tulip. A tight patch of bubbles hugged the glass and a thin layer of head appeared.

The nose was slighty musty with cherries and cream prevelent.

Very sour, puckering taste. Musty and bitter from fermented cherries. Yowza.

The mouthfeel was equally sour and bitter in the finish. The sides of my tongue were attacked with very sweet tartiness, like the candy. Once again, yowza.

Clearly an acquired taste. Not a personal favorite style. Not a brew to introduce the consumer to the style either. See Monk's Flemish Sour Red ale (I know, not a lambic, but sour nonetheless). I may revisit this once my pallette comes to appreciate the style more.

11-02-2008 12:55:14 | More by jim102864
clayrock81

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a thin red color with minor light red head and little red lace patches. A very tart smell of light fruits, mostly cherry (that's all I really smelled) and some oakiness. The cherry/fruit is there in bunches, but this medium-bodied brew is extremely tart, a little too tart. It goes down smooth but the tartness rubbed my tastebuds a little raw as it finishes very dry w/ tart and woody flavors. This is a beer designed to be sipped on as it complements a hearty meal; I did not have the pleasure to drink it over dinner so maybe my review is a little off.

03-15-2009 17:09:14 | More by clayrock81
ne0m00re

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

10/13/10- Review of a 750 mL bottle.
A: Bright clear pinky red, nice white creamy head.
S: Barnyard funk, mild sour cherry, fresh fruit.
T: Vinegar tartness, apple cider, strong sour cherry, soda consistency.
M: Really frothy soda.
D: Pretty good.

You get what you'd expect. It's a pretty good kriek.

11-25-2010 03:23:13 | More by ne0m00re
champ103

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Pours a cloudy ruby red. A small white, nearly red cap of foam forms. Light lace.
S: A funky, musky, doughy malt aroma that is fruity. Mostly cherries. A sweet tartness from the fruit used. Lots of barnyard goodness.
T: Wow, this is sour. Mouthpuckering. After I get use to the sourness a light cherry fruitiness and funky barnyard hey.
M/D: A light body, but with a nice snappy crispness. The sourness really makes this hard for me to drink.

The sourness is really a shock to the senses at first. I never really get past it, but I do appreciate the craft that went in to the making this. Not an everyday beer, but very interesting to try. Nothing else I have had so far is quite like it.

01-07-2009 00:57:45 | More by champ103
BarrelO

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottled on October 28, 2008.

A: Medium red body. One-finger light pink head that fades to nothing.

S: Cherries, vinegar, and a touch of funk.

T: Any cherry flavor that might have been present has long since left the building. Surprisingly, there isn't even really any funkiness. Just an unrelenting barrage of sourness. I will say that it does grow on you after a while.

M: Light-bodied, a bit of carbonation.

D: This is not a training wheels lambic by any stretch of the imagination. This is hardcore like Quick Draw McGraw. And to be honest, it's not really up my alley. But if only the most authentic lambics will do for you, then have at it.

09-08-2009 00:43:26 | More by BarrelO
FloppyDog

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

Brewed on Feb 2008, and poured on September 29, 2009 into a Duvel glass.

Appearance is a hazy ruby with a medium-sized pink head that dissipates within a minute.

Aroma is of funky wet animal/funky cherry sweetness.

Taste initially hints at sweetness, but this is only for a fraction of a second, at which point the drink starts tipping toward the sour side, and then finishes completely sour. and when I say sour...I mean SOUR, almost like straight vinegar.

Mouth feel is medium-light with very fine carbonation. Overall, unlike anything I have ever had! Even though it is tough to drink because it is so sour, I prefer this to the Lindeman's that tastes overly sweet like cherry syrup.

Something that is great to try to broaden your horizons, but not something I can drink all the time.

09-30-2009 03:08:12 | More by FloppyDog
BigCheese

Bottle @ brewery.

I prefered the raspberry based lambic. Found the cherry flavors more cough/syrupy sweet, with less of the salty tartness. More dark cherry flavors, more my preference, I could see how others would enjoy this though. Everyone needs to sample cantillon brews, this one included.

05-09-2012 14:37:11 | More by BigCheese
Higravity

3.7/5  rDev -14%

I wasn't too big on this one. The red pink body with a top of girlie pink foam let you know what's coming. Smell is very acidic with small fractions of candied fruit and a funk of something rotten. The taste is utterly acid with the cherry only prevealent in the aftertaste. This really lives in the memory as the carbonation fizzs off my tongue it leaves the life of cherry and floral smells. A nice sipper but not something I would buy but I wouldn't mind helping to drink by splitting a bottle.

02-12-2006 19:03:49 | More by Higravity
matthewfuchs

3.7/5  rDev -14%

pours a dark pink, not quite red. Into a snifter, little head due to pour. smelled pretty bad to be honest, sour infiltration of my nose. first taste is a shock to the senses, tingle in the back of my jaw. surprisingly smooth mouthfeel, i thought it would be more of a sting. overall drinkibility is ok, good to try. a true sour good tasting kriek lambic.

08-20-2007 03:57:16 | More by matthewfuchs
letsgopicnic

Georgia

3.7/5  rDev -14%

poured into a Chimay goblet.

color- dark rose.
smell- vinegar and cherries
taste- vary sour. made my face pucker. wasn't really digging it much at first but it grew on me by the end of the bottle. not really a style i think i'm gonna try again for a while but over all decent.
drinkability- wouldn't want to drink more than one bottle.

03-15-2009 20:54:15 | More by letsgopicnic
capra12

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Reviewed with speedwayjim and dj schnitzel served out of a tulip on 9/25/09.

Appearance: cloudy, bloody red with hints of orange.

Smell: sour cherries and earthy wood

Taste: opens with sour unripened cherries, which last till the end. I taste what think is brett at the finish leaving a pucker effect.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with and intense puckering affect.

Drinkability: This is growing on me but its drinkability is rather low, but worth a try.

09-26-2009 02:37:37 | More by capra12
jammalamma

New Hampshire

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a 750ml and popped it open soon as I got home tonight! Love the style, sours, funkys, and this one was over the top-

Pours a deep pink, reddish color with a quickly fading white head.
Smells very tart right off the bat, all cherry raspberry oaky tart. Very pleasant, and a peek into whats to come..
Taste is crazy Tart, sour fruit makes you pucker every sip! There is a vinegar taste just as strong as the sour if not stronger- border too much.
Stringent mouth feel, corse and abrasive. I love these brews, but this one will be a difficult finish for one person.

Over all, try it if you can. Traditional and authentic- Kriek Lambic at its purest

11-21-2009 03:27:14 | More by jammalamma
Mosley1212

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Enjoyed at Brick Store Pub over Labor Day weekend along with my girlfriend Meggie88. Poured from the bottle into a Cantillon glass.

A--Pink cherry, ruby color with a short-lived bubblegum pink head that dissipated quickly, leaving only a small amount of lacing down the side of the glass.

S--Cherries, yeast, vinegar, and lemon juice. This thing had both sweet and sour components.

T--Lip-puckering sourness on the first sip. Vinegar, bitter cherries, and pure lemon juice. Then, once the palate adjusted, the sweetness of the cherries powered through and the sourness diminished.

M--Light-bodied with a bit of carbonating scrubber bubbles. It was a refreshing drink once the sourness left.

O--This was a better-than-average lambic, but it wasn't the most earth-shattering beer I had over the weekend.

09-06-2011 18:54:17 | More by Mosley1212
Alieniloquium

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

750 mL bottle poured into a plastic cup. 2008 bottle.

Appearance - Light reddish body. Small white head. A few wisps.

Smell - Cherry and a ton of acidity. Little bit of hay. Some faint funk, but it's there.

Taste - Grain is strangely the first flavor. Then sour cherry. And I mean really sour cherry. Intense sourness of all kinds. Lactic and even some acetic acid. All other components are masked.

Mouthfeel - Overly sour. Medium carbonation. Dry body.

Overall - This is way too sour. Good otherwise.

09-01-2013 21:08:09 | More by Alieniloquium
Phatz

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

This beer is much more Cantillon 100% Lambic than it is Kriek. The cherry is in the color and in the nose a tad but flavor is intense and quite sour. The flavor is so intense that while I enjoy sour beers it is simply impossible to deny that it does affect the drinkability.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

01-28-2007 05:01:29 | More by Phatz
Damian

Drank from a corked 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA

Poured a brilliant, clear, glowing crimson with no head.

Aroma was typical of a lambic. Musty, funky, fairly sour and a touch earthy with some sour fruits hiding in the background.

Taste was very sour from start to finish. The beer started super sour and funky up front before some oaky notes appeared mid-palate. The long, puckeringly dry and acidic finish was quite sour as well with an earthy and oaky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was crisp, sparkly and heavily effervescent.

This is a very traditional lambic. It's not not refreshing (as the maker claims) nor is it something you would want to drink on a regular basis. However, it can serve as a nice aperitif, an accompaniment to salads or as a reduction in a variety of dishes.

03-31-2007 22:15:59 | More by Damian
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

My girlfriend wanted to try another cherry Belgian ale...I wanted to have a bit of a laugh...

This beer pours a cloudy muddled pink colour, with one finger of soapy light pink head, which leaves next to no lace. It smells of acrid cherry essence, funky yeast, kind of barnyard-like. The taste is very, very, very (did I say 'very'?) tart cherry acid, morphing into raw lemon juice territory, some remnant of cherry fruitiness, and a bit of yeasty white grain. The mouthfeel, well, to quote a beloved Simpsons denizen - "It tastes like burning..." - on top of a thin, oily body. It finishes with some lingering spent fruit echoing amidst the burn.

This is a masochistic dive into beer appreciation, that's for sure. I told my girl not to expect the typical fruit beer sugar bomb - heh, I'm lucky she didn't bomb me over the head with it, because i got to finish her share, given that I liked it, as a sort of palate cleanser, or well, degreaser, solvent, you get the idea...

01-30-2010 09:30:46 | More by biboergosum
Retail1LO

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

I've strayed from sours for so long. However, I couldn't resist ordering my first Cantillon when it was offered on tap here at The Wealth of Riches kickoff event at the Blue Dog in Chalfont. Pours a brilliant, vibrant, yet cloudy rose color with a minimal head. The nose is dominated by vinegar. Only the faintest cherry pushes through. The taste is sour, but seemingly only because of the vinegaresque qualities from the aforementioned nose. I had Raspberry Tart last night, and felt that it was both sweet and sour. This is just sour for the sake of being sour. But that's cool. I get it. Glad I tried it.

09-17-2011 16:13:29 | More by Retail1LO
SpeedwayJim

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

A: Poured a vigorous 1 finger pastel pink head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing. Brew was a cloudy, hazy red.

S: Sour cherries, wood, earth, dirt, and skunk.

T: Sour and incredibly tart opening that really makes you pucker. Ends with a sweet, malty, really surprising explosion that does not last. Almost no aftertaste on this one.

M: Surprisingly full bodied and smothering.

D: Real enjoyable and this one grew on me throughout the experience, but it is again, a little too tart for my taste.

09-26-2009 15:18:14 | More by SpeedwayJim
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

750ml, bottled 22 October 2008, into a Duvel tulip.

A: Lovely ruby body with a delicate 1/2" head of ultra-fine pinkish foam. The head slowly settles into a soft ring and an island of foam, with the occasional sheet of temporary lace sliding down the side of the tulip. Very attractive lambic.

S: The initial inhalation of this one was the single most acidic aroma I've ever experienced, but some time to breath releases a more approachable nose of extremely sour cherries, barnyard funk, and a little bit of vinous oak and vanilla. Nice, but a little too far skewed toward the acid-bomb side of things to be really transcendent.

T: Starts, continues, and finishes with puckering, almost overwhelming sourness - probably the most sour beer I've tasted so far. Mixed in with the pure acidity is a lovely interplay of cherry, oak, and funk. The aftertaste is particularly delicious with its subtle oak and light cherry sweetness. It's a nice thing to look forward to after the physical shiver that each sip's sourness delivers. Intense.

M: Very interesting in this department - it seems smooth, medium-bodied, and almost still at first, but a couple flicks of the tongue turn each sip into a near meringue of creamy foam. Cool.

D: As much as I'm enjoying this beer, I just can't give it a good score for drinkability. I feel like I've been at it for ever, and I've had maybe 6 ounces. Finishing the bottle is going to be a serious challenge, something I didn't find to be the case with Classic Gueuze or Bruocsella. That said, it's going to be fun challenge.

Notes: Three Cantillons down now, and hopefully many to go. I just love the depth and complexity that these lambics have, even if this one was a little over the top with the tartness. I may also be influenced slightly by the fact that I just recently had the pleasure of drinking the brand-new and awesome Cisco Cherry Woods, which hit many of the same notes but with far more freshness and balance. I'd love to try a fresher bottle of this, as I think that might be more to my tastes.

Cheers!

05-20-2010 01:59:02 | More by woosterbill
hayesez

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

I picked this up during a recent trip to Bloomington with my kids. Love Cantillon's beer and was looking forward to trying what many regard to be the "most sour" of the sours. This was beer number three during a tasting with a group of four of us. It did not disappoint.

Poured into my Stone snifter, I could have convinced myself that I was drinking a V8 or a Bloody Mary when I held it up to the light. A cloudy reddish pink suspension that produced a modest pink-hued head and left no lace throughout the session. Definitely off to a good start.

Let me preface this next rant with a little history - so it has only been the past couple of years or so that I have really started trying a bunch of different sour beers. As I've now had several dozen of them, I've really grown to appreciate the funky barnyardy smell that is associated with many of them. I grew up a on a farm and am always amazed by how much a beer can smell like that combination of must, mold, wet hay, horse piss, sweat, etc. that you'd smell in an old barn...but I like it. Weird for most, but certainly understood by anyone who digs sours. Before this beer warmed up, it literally smelled like a fresh cow-pie...or a toddler's dirty diaper that had spent too much time in the sun. There was a hint of cherry in there as well, but it was significantly overshadowed by the funk. A bit too much for me. This definitely calmed down as the beer warmed up a bit as well.

Judging from the smell, I was fully anticipating not liking the flavor of this beer. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised and actually quite pleased. The first few drinks were not as sour as I expected, but picked up as the beer warmed. Acidic, tart, and sour cherry were the first thoughts that came to mind upon drinking. A mild (but very functional) amount of carbonation and a medium-body aided the experience of the brew, and by the end I realized that I actually quite enjoyed this beer. The cherry flavor is a bit over-powered by the extreme tartness, but gratefully the sour did not cross the line for me. I really did enjoy it. I can't imagine that I have ever reviewed a beer with such a large gap between smell and taste...

Drinkability on this guy takes a hit largely because I'm not quite sure how much the inner-workings of my body could really handle. This is sour, and I'm sure if I'd had much more, I would have felt it...Although I did keep looking for more, long after my portion was gone. I really did enjoy what I had and will certainly buy it again the next time I see it.

Consumed: 6/13/2010

06-14-2010 20:48:09 | More by hayesez
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Chicago. Perfect size for two and $7.99 I believe. Bottled in 2006.

Pours a very murky red, cranberry/raspberry juice coloured, fizzy pink head forms, disappears very fast, leaves a few lace spots. Smell is very intense, sharp sour note, very vinegary, intense acidity, nice cherry, oaky, more insane fruity acidity, you can smell this acidity! Taste smacks me good, insane sourness, I thought I had sour beers before this. Oaky cherry, almost saltiness, I find a bit weak on the finish, very acidic, attacks the tongue. Insane. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low-medium carbonation, very harsh, very enjoyable, neat experience. Good thing I have a few more Cantillons kicking around!

04-16-2007 02:31:53 | More by Viggo
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

$15 750ml bottle 2007 vintage. The cork looked like it was starting to mold which was slightly bothersome...I chilled the bottle and then let it breathe for half an hour as the label suggested. The couple sniffs i took from the bottle as it warmed were sour cherries as to be expected. It looks like pink juice?!? It smells like sour cherry juice and then must. It has an earthy taste that at first seems less sour than expected and the aftertaste kicks in. This has a real nice sour kick and the cherry flavor is subtle. This is actually seems very drinkable despite the sour kick but then the acidity gets to me. This almost reminds me of the lik-a-stik candy from back in the day.

update - 08/15/09 375ml bottle 02/26/2008 bottling date

This is good but doesn't hurt my stomach like the previous bottle seemed to but that could be due to the difference in size. It has a good sourness and is like a sour pixie stick, cherries, musty, not a lot of funk. This is a good kriek but the lou pepe is much better.

05-25-2008 03:15:01 | More by ArrogantB