Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -20.6%

Bottle: sampled at the brewery in Brussels. Poured a pink colored beer with great carbonation and a good head. Aroma is a mix between the raspberry and the Cantillon yeast. Taste is a bit deceiving since it is too much acidic that it kills the rest of the flavours, the raspberry are buried under the acidic tones. I believe that some other lambic -fruit a better balanced then this one and offer a better refreshing taste.

03-11-2008 17:56:05 | More by Phyl21ca
beatingwings

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours an awesome murky reddish with orange hints. No lacing or head.

Smells like brett. Musty, almost dusty smelling. Barnyardy and strawlike. Nose intimates at the sour onslaught that is Kriek 100% Lambic, with faint cherries. I really don't get that much cherry, the aroma is definitely funk dominated. Eventually, as the beer warms and breathes, the cherries become more prevalent.

Massive mouth-filling, lip-tingling sourness. Sour beer. Very sour beer. Like lemon juice. Mild vinegar. Cherries are there, but not too strong, be also become more prevalent as time passes. Brett barnyard throughout, with a funky/oaky finish and aftertaste. Really strong sourness with no other flavor/sensation really matching it.

Fairly light feeling with good carbonation. The finish is really try with some acid still residing in the mouth and lips. I like the occasional sour-bomb, but the intensity really limits the drinkability.

11-28-2009 07:25:48 | More by beatingwings
Gusler

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Over the years I’ve heard much about this breweries beers, and as I never really cared much for Lambics till a year or two ago, it was a real treat to find these at my “Second Home The Papago Brewery”.

A resplendent and nebulous cherry red on the pour, the head diminutive, the lace tenuous, with the nose tart and little else noticed. Sweet and sour start, top cadaverous, finish is quite tart, astringent, vinous, and alum dry aftertaste. Different, for sure, and something I will need to re-sample to determine my true feelings for this beer.

01-20-2003 15:48:09 | More by Gusler
leakyfaucet12

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev -20.1%

a- This beer is amazing looking. The dark pink body with light pink head is really apetizing looking.

s- This beer smells like straight vinegar. I cant get anything much else from it.

t-tons of sour vinegar flavor. Almost like unripe cherries, there is some fruits specifically cherries that comes through.

m- light carbonation yet thick for a lambic. I am not a fan of thick lambics because they remind me of syrup

d- This one scares me to drink alot because i am afraid I could get gut rot or something

01-16-2011 23:34:11 | More by leakyfaucet12
portia99

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

375ml bottle (2005 vintage)...one of several purchased on clearance - $5/bottle - Really?!? Poured into a gold rimmed Buzzards Bay stemmed glass.

A - Pours a bright but hazy, gleaming cranberry juice like pinkish tinged red. Only the smallest of skim coats of loose white bubbles sits on the surface momentarily before giving it up and leaving behind a thin, fine bubbled collar.

S - Very healthy dose of brett induced funk hits the nose immediately. A bit musty, cellar like around the barnyard funk mixed with oak. All of this surrounds a very tart lactic and acetic sour cherry aroma in the center of it all.

T - Wow - sour, sour, sour. Immediately hit with very sour cherries, extreme lactic sourness, some nice horseblankety funk, some oak. Did I say this is sour??? This rivals Beatification for the most intense sour I've ever experienced - this is actually a bit too much for me.

M - Puckering is the first word that comes to mind. After every swallow, my saliva glands feel like they are literally dripping, fighting with everything they have to counteract this sourness. This actually is a bit reminiscent of some of the worst heartburn I've ever had...just with cherries added. This is just a bit intense!

D - This is a rough one. In small doses, this is an interesting and pretty tasty beer. The full bottle is ending up being a bit much. Gotta find something to counteract this acidity before I attempt to lay down for bed tonight.

07-25-2010 23:50:05 | More by portia99
jisak74

03-22-2012 10:09:13 | More by jisak74
bostonryan

12-01-2012 01:04:20 | More by bostonryan
samie85

3.5/5  rDev -19%

Reviewed from notes; originally 9/05/10.

A-This one pours a cabernet red with a reddish pink one finger head.

S-Tart cherries with some acidic and vinegary sour notes.

T-Follows the nose but with mostl our, vinegary notes with some tart cherries.

M-Prickly and pretty highly carbonated with with a slightly creamy mouthfeel.

D-Pretty easy drinking for a sour but I can't discern the difference between this beer and a Flanders Red.

09-06-2010 02:49:22 | More by samie85

04-29-2012 01:21:43 | More by RES
LittleCreature

Australia

3.5/5  rDev -19%

Appearance - 4.0
Poured a finger of foamy pink head that steadily reduced . Colour is a deep, barely transparent red.

Smell - 3.5
The first smell is a musty cork aroma (please don't be tainted!) that may actually be the oak barrels that the beer is brewed in. Some fresh cherry (particularly skin), slightly herbal.

Taste - 3.5
Wow, this tastes like sour warheads! I was told of the mouth-puckering sourness before, but this has just blown me away. Wow! There is a distinct damp woody flavour, muted cherry flavour, a little vinegar and the sweetness overpowered by the sourness. Nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - 3.0
Puckering sourness dicatates here, a low level of fine carbonation. Moderately weighted, leaves the mouth feeling a little sticky.

Drinkability - 2.5
Low. True to the style, somewhat refreshing, but I think most would struggle with this, as I did.

OVERALL - 3.65
Perhaps this is a good example of a traditionally brewed lambic, but it is just too much for me. Very expensive also, but it was worth the try. Shoot me for saying it, but I think I prefer Belle Vue Kriek!

07-31-2008 13:26:39 | More by LittleCreature
tom10101

Quebec (Canada)

03-20-2013 20:16:49 | More by tom10101
kimcgolf

Georgia

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In a word..SOUR. I’m a big fan of Flemish Sours, and have come to like the Lambics a lot on certain occassions, so the tartness of a beer does not bother me. However, I either got one past its prime, or this is meant to be over the top.

While it did feature a pleasant cherry aroma and flavor, these too were dampened by the tartness. That being said, the palate was a pleasant blend of the ultra-sour, followed closely by a sweet finish...both to an extreme.

All and all, this reminded me of some of those sour kid’s candies I’ve hd, where your mouth puckers up as you eat them, but for some reason, you come back for more. I’m sure I’ll be back for more of this in the future.

05-20-2007 12:52:32 | More by kimcgolf
taez555

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer on tap at Anam Cara served in the small Cantillon, wine style, tasting glass.

Filled to the top of the glass, it poured a cloudy reddish/burgundy body with no head. The nose was a little hard to make out in the bar. Some soft fruit and a touch of earthiness.

The taste caught me off guard. Very sour and dry. Tart and sour Cherries. Earthy with a fine carbonation. The best analogy I can think of for this beer is comparing it to cranberry juice. Most labmics are like grocery store variety, tart and sweet. This stuff on the other hand is like hand squeezed/no sugar added. You can definitely taste the difference, but it’s quite a shocker if you’ve never had it before. It ends extremely dry.

Overall a great, “true” labmic. Sour and dry. Not my cup of tea, but definitely worth trying if you want to experience the lambic spectrum.

01-03-2004 07:43:40 | More by taez555
clvand0

Kentucky

3.53/5  rDev -18.3%

This one pours a reddest of red colors with a pink head that takes its time leaving. Brilliant color. The aroma is very sour with a certain funk about it. I'm told that is characteristic of the Cantillon, so I'll just accept it. Super sweet and tart cherries. The flavor is much the same. Very tart. Very cherry. Finish is a bit dry ... and sour. This really isn't one of my favorite styles, but this is a well made version.

11-01-2004 18:28:18 | More by clvand0
ipogios

Cyprus

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark rasberry-like colour. The aroma of this Fruit Lambic beer is dominant by rasberry and cherry hints. There was cranberry flavour but i think the cherry flavour in this beer is dominant. Decent Fruit Lambic

12-03-2002 00:20:33 | More by ipogios
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

From a 750 ml bottle dated 2001

Pours a dark pinkish-champagne color and very very still. The aromas are like nothing I've ever smelled in a beer before. Very tart and sour aromas with a pungent smell in there that I just can't identify. Maybe a cheese or barnyard aroma. Anyway...

This one pulls no punches on your palate. Very bitter and sour. Easily the most sour beer I have tasted. Some is bitter and sour from the lambic, some is bitter and sour from the cherries. Defniitely an unsweetened lambic! Some salty flavors too. Very nice mouthfeel with a dry salty finish. A few hours later, I still can taste that sourness in my mouth.

This is far from an everyday brew and not too drinkable but it certainly kept you interested. This is my first Cantillon and probably my first "traditional" lambic. I feel like a whole new world has opened up in front of me but I'm not sure I want to be there just yet.

12-28-2003 04:02:31 | More by ViveLaChouffe
jneiswender

3.58/5  rDev -17.1%

Had a sample of this at the brewery following a tour of the place. Served cool from the bottle in a wine like glass.

A-ruby red body and a pink ring head.

S-dough, fruit stone and grass

T-very faint cherry flavor, sour, wine, .

M-light, sparkly

D-very nice complexity. Not a very evident cherry flavor. I would drink this again.

08-11-2010 03:24:41 | More by jneiswender