Join our email list →

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Lambic - Fruit | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 689 | Hads: 2,231
4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer is a slightly hazy pinkish-red color with a thick and foamy pinkish-white head that dissipates slowly. Sticky rings of lacing on the glass. Aroma of funky cherries, oak and yeast. Light-bodied with flavors of tart cherries and berries, funky yeast and vinous oak. The finish is fruity with a lingering sour cherry and apple aftertaste. Really good all around.

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%

Surprise package from THECPJ, cheers Shane! Bottled in 2010, 375ml green bottle. Poured into a Rodenbach flute.

A - Pours a gorgeous ruby-red with a thick head of vibrant, rose-colored foam that exhibits wonderful retention, never fully dissipating. Absolutely beautiful!
S - Tart cherries, lemon juice, hay, and just a touch of that Cantillon funk. Quite nice, but the cherries aren't as pronounced as I'd hoped.
T - OK, there's the cherries! Strong flavors of tart pie cherries with a touch of brown sugar, red wine vinegar, cinnamon, oak, and a bit of funk. Such an amazing balance between tart, sweet, funky, and spicy!
M - Slick, with a medium body and crisp carbonation. Exactly how I like my lambics.
O - I can't imagine a more drinkable Kriek, this one is right up my alley! Excellent.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pink, tropical punch red, 1 finger of pinkish head.

S: Fruity, dry cherries, crisp and tart, cherry blossoms.

T: Sour, dry, cherries, no sweetness, an almost lactic quality like milk.

M: Dry and acidic, medium low carbonation.

O: Awesome, smooth must try if you can ever swing it. I drank this one at the brewery Cantillon. It came free with the brewery tour.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours bright and clear ruby red with a soft light pink head that surprisingly takes a while to fade.

Tart cherries, almonds, and brett funk in the aroma. Barnyard and oak. A good amount of vanilla.

Tart cherries and lactic acid upfront. Very tart. Barnyard and musty earthy brett character. Perhaps some acetic acid present. Lambic is very present along with cherries. Nice mingling of the two. Lots of funk and acidity as well as some oak. Bright cherry character gives way to a slightly more rich cherry character as it warms.

Highly carbonated. Acidity fills the mouth and lingers. Some tannins as well.

Though very tart, it is not at all one dimensional. Lots of cherry character though just a touch less complex and jammy as Drie Fonteinen. Still lovely.

750 ml bottle 5,0% Abv.
Bottled: 21st February 2008

I have always wanted to try a true sour Lambic, I had to pay more than an arm and a leg to get this bottle, so let's hope it is worth it.

Appearance: Cantillon Kriek pours as one of the most beautifully coloured beers I have ever seen. Slightly clouded crimson red with stunning pink and orange edges. The head is small and light pink in colour, unfortunately the retention and lacing leave a fair bit to be desired. 4.0

Smell: Wow, what an aroma, massively tart cherries combine with an equal measure of funkiness - barnyard, musty leather and a slight woodiness. There is also a slightly vinous quality to the nose. 4.5

Taste: Yes I knew this beer was going to be sour, but WOW... Nothing could have prepared me for the mouth-puckering sourness of the first sip. It's a good thing I like sour, otherwise this beer could well have been an immediate drain pour. Once your mouth is used to the sourness you can begin to appreciate the underlying flavours of the beer. Tart cherry, slightly vinous, hints of wood and then the wonderful - though slightly more subdued than in the nose - funk consisting of musty leather and some earthy barnyard. It almost seemed as though the sourness covered up a fair bit of the funkiness (pity if I'm right). 4

Mouthfeel: Light and dry, with a low (but just right in my books) level of carbonation. 4.5

Drinkability: I found this beer fairly easy drinking (after the initial sour shock) and actually quite refreshing. Though my stomach did not agree with me for a few days afterwards. 4.0

Dec 2013 Vintage (Drank in March 2014)

Appearance: Cantillon Kriek pours a wonderful deep red with tinges of pink and a little orange on the edges. A rough pour yields a large light pink head that lasts well for a sour, but doesn’t leave much in the way of lacing.

Smell: The nose is absolutely delicious and offers a ton of fantastic acidic cherry character alongside a little sweetness , tannic skins, some woodiness, musty funk, and some lactic notes.

Taste: As the nose promised, the flavour is bursting with a fantastic combination of tart cherries and funk. Notes include: Tart cherries, a touch of sweetness, cherry pips, tannic skins, wood, musty funk and a touch of cheese.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied (or just over), with a medium level of fine bubbled carbonation.

Overall: The only previous Cantillon Kriek I have had was an ’07 in 2011 and I have to agree with Jean, the beer is best within a year of bottling.

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%

A long morning preparing for a Belgian beer dinner, the slaughter of the rabbits is over and a beer must be drunk. I wander to the cellar, hands bloody and nose full of rich life. I look. Rodenbach? Consecration? No. Today is the day for something special.

A 2008 35 cl bottle is opened, poured into white wine glasses in the sunlight. It sparkles, effervescent and boldly red. The nose wafts of lemons and cherries, oaken funk and dreams. A taste, its sweet, a burst of sweet cherries followed by a cleaning punch of tart. It dances, it dances well.

We sit in the sun, one week until the great day. a hundred bottles will be opened, and none will be as fine as this one, this day, this sunlight.

2003 bottling.

Appearance is a beautiful ruby red with a small white head that instantly fades into a small ring around the glass. Smell is potently sour and funky. Not just a little mustiness here, but a full-fledged acidic bile smell. I love it. Taste is shockingly sour. Until your tastebuds adjust, all you taste is the face-disfiguring sourness, but then as it warms and you adjust (though it never loses its sharp sourness) you get some up front sweetness from the malt, and the cherry flavor really comes through. Almost tastes like cherries that have gone horribly bad at some point. This is possibly the most acidic drink I have ever had. Its dryness is beyond compare. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, very quenching. Due to its overpowering flavor, this is a sipper, but I could down a whole 750 by myself. Lip smackingly good.

2004 vintage..

an absolutely stunning day here in the lovely garden state (stop snickering).. a day deserving of a nice bottle to top off a day of work work work.

eyes...
this pours like many a cantillon, flat and it looks like fruit punch, murky hawaiin punch, the carbonation is sneaky as it streams up the side and feeds a micro o-ring. these are not usually spectacular looking brews, especially cantillon from my experience but this is fine looking.

nose...
for a second I thought of rodenbach, then it got deeper... earthy rotten wood, not the kind you run across hiking the kind in an old house, sort of musty, cherries that run into bubble gum.. sourness courts your sense and entices a sip

taste etc...
first sip is bracing tart, almost saline.. ahh, cantillon. I can understand why a lot of people will never get their beers but if you liked sour patch kids you should be at home here, 4 years in the cellar and this sucker still delivers. the carbonation is the usual perfection from cantillon, so light and airy .. prickles just enough to carry across your mouth. This makes you salivate like a mad dog with all the crazy sourness abounding. once adjusted to the sour you get the cherry notes clear, and they dominate for about 2-3 seconds fading off into sourness/bitterness/salivation... so damn refreshing, an amazing product. the body works as a nice light drinking thing but the flavor is so powerful it just strikes a balance. I could drink this all afternoon in the summer....

verdict?
superb.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

750ml into pint glass. Bottled in 2007.

A- Aggressive pour conjures up head that quickly settles. Hazy amber/ruby with pink berry highlights. Head is mostly white and very thin.

S- Tart, sour. Ah, Cantillon. A bit musty, a bit funky, the fruit sweetness is apparent but not overbearing.

T- Oh so good. Tart, puckering, dry. The berry sweetness is spot-on, and is balanced incredibly well by the overall puckering tartness. I'm really digging it. Vinegar, for sure, but perhaps I'm becoming more accustomed to sours as I put it down as an afterthought.

M- Dry, tart, sour. Intense, but very tasty.

D- High. I really like this stuff, flavor, body, composition, everything is just wonderful. Highly recommended.

12oz pour at Monk's, served in a flute-type glass

A - solid two fingers of creamy soft pink colored foam, slowly retreats to a thin layer + ring leaving a thick coat of lacing down the glass. the beer is a very pretty red color and slightly hazy.

S - sweet vanilla, oak...a little sweeter than anticipated. the cherries come through in the nose, but a little subtle, graceful. not picking up much in the way of lactic or sour.

T - yum. out of nowhere the mouth explodes with fresh and lovely sour cherries with a sharp acidic and lactic bite. if all cherries tasted like this i would eat them everyday, incredibly fresh and ripe. touches of oak and vanilla finish it off. perfect.

M - light-medium body, carries an unsuspecting creaminess and slightly syrupy, but refreshing. playful carbonation dances around the mouth.

D - i was expecting to like this, not love it. i was wrong. so delicious fresh, I am psyched to go home and see how a bottle with some time on it is doing. a true work of art this this. cheers to Cantillon.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Friend brought back a bottle from New Orleans. Heck yeah! Served in a Great Divide balloon glass.

I popped off the cap and then looked away. All of the sudden, I hear the cork pop and fly. Now I know I'm in for something good. The pour is a bright red with a pink head. Definitely different from anything I've had before. Major points for the pop and brilliance.

The nose is funky feet. Pedio! Some tart cherries, too, but mostly funk.

The taste is the most sour thing I've ever sipped. Dry and unique... almost like chomping on a sour cherry warhead. The carbonation delivers the dry good wetland the mouthfeel that saps and then produces saliva in my mouth is crazy unique. Wow. The drinkability is a bit hampered by the over the top flavors, but I'm loving every bit of it. Wow.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

When you say the word Lambic you can exchange the word Cantillon because Cantillon IS Lambic. You can not get more authentic lambic style beer from anyone. This Kriek is dry, fruity, fizzy, sour, foxy, horse blanket, and earthy. Lots of flavor layers and not for the Lindemen's drinkers. Comparing Lindeman's to Cantillon is like comparing Bert Grant's Imperial Stout to Harvey and Son's Imperial. It may say they are the same style but they are two very different beers.

4.58/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Updating review on 7/19/15 as I go through my tasting notes over the past few months. Enjoyed this one out of a 375 mL bottle at Beer Kitchen in April. Label is stamped with a bottling date of 11/27/14, making this probably the youngest I've enjoyed this beer at a little under five months old. Poured into a classic Belgian tulip glass.

Appearance (4.75) - One of the most striking beers I've ever seen, with the body a somewhat cloudy/opaque cherry red hue. Bright, with almost a neon-like quality to it as the sunlight hits the glass. Atop the body sits a middling pinkish-white head of medium-sized suds. Retention is not for long, taking a few minutes to settle as a ringlet of foam around the sides of the glass with no discernible lacing to be found. Still, the color is the hero of this beer's look.

Smell (4.75) - As to be expected, the aroma leads with a wafting of sour cherry, followed closely by funky wet hay and musty oak characteristics to give the fruit some balance. It's that musty quality that really makes this beer what it is and separates it from, not only fruit beers, but other beers in the kriek style.

Taste (4.5) - The taste follows the smell quite closely, with a balance of sour cherry, barnyard funk and oaky tannins. There is also a sort of candy cinnamon undertone that I often sense from really well-done cherry-infused beers. It's not sweet or artificial like candy, but it's not a cinnamon-stick kind of cinnamon either. As it warms, the sour become more intense and the cherry really overpowers the funk and oak characteristics in a good way.

Mouthfeel (4.5) - Light bodied and moderately carbonated, with a fairly dry finish in spite of the fruit. There is also a definite puckering feel, especially as the temperature increases over time.

Overall (4.5), just a fantastic beer. It was the first kriek I ever had, early on in my foray into the wonderful world of sour beers, and it's nice to have it again now that I have so much more experience. It still holds the top spot for me as far as krieks go, and it will be hard to find one that can top it.

4.58/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a small snifter. Pours a deep raspberry, with a thin off-white head. Nose is tart cherry, and palate is dark fruit, cherry, with a hint of balsalmic vinegar. There's also a hint of a sweet aftertaste here. Overall, a deeply complex beer. A treat to try.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

This one pours a nice red color with a pink head that falls to ring the beer. The nose is fantastic. There is a nice sour tart in the nose, with a touch of cherries. I'm excited to taste this one. The flavor is sooo good. The tart and sour hits me the second I taste the beer. When I swallow it, the sourness goes strait down my throat. The flavor does not linger too long either. The aftertaste is all about the cherries. The feel is a light moderate, just where I would expect it, with a really nice carbonation of small bubbles. I could have easily had the whole bottle to myself, but I'm a good guy and I share. What a nice beer.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

A - Deep hazy beautiful reddish purple. Carbonation and lacing was perfect and long lasting.

S - Tons of horse blanket, band aide and sour fruit with additional grassy weed notes.

T - Taste is incredible, lots of sour and cherry, with exceptional balance. There is also a yeasty vanilla note that is a bit medicinal, but still pleasant. The flavor evolves as the beer warms and you can let every sip sit on your tongue.

M/D - Mouthfeel was biting but smoothed out quickly with great aftertaste and a slight sour burn. Extremely drinkable with such a great balance!

4.58/5  rDev +8%

My first Cantillon! Let's see what all the fuss is about.

A- Well, I must say, this is a gorgeous beer. Bright ruby with a nice, frothy pink head. Head dissipates a little quickly, though.

S- Acidic to the max. At first it seems like it's just sharp and acidic. Then, as my nose adjusts, some barnyard funk is evident. Finally the cherry comes in. In fact, I really only got the cherry when I pulled my nose away from the beer. It took a while before my nose adjusted to the point that I could really smell the cherry amongst all the other aromas.

T- Whoa, hello! This is some tart stuff right here! Mouth-puckering sourness overwhelms the tastebuds as the liquid hits the tongue. Sharp notes of vinegar, lemon juice and horsey funk are first, with a fantastic sour cherry flavor on the aftertaste. Intense! I thought my nose needed time to adjust; I'm not sure my taste buds can ever adjust to this stuff. Not that that's a bad thing. In fact, it's a great thing! I don't want this stuff to lose its edge. I like knowing what is coming on every sip and still being unprepared. Damn, this is good.

M- Medium-bodied and well carbonated. The mouthfeel is really the last thing on my mind when I'm drinking this beer, but when I concentrate on it I realize that it's because it complements the flavor so well. The carbonation is at the perfect level to accentuate the sourness.

D- Near perfection. The sourness limits the speed at which I can drink it, but certainly not the amount I can drink. I'm not sure one 750 ml bottle is enough.

This was certainly an eye-opener. Really the first authentic, traditional lambic I've tried, too. I was a little concerned going in that I shouldn't be jumping into the deep end right away, so to speak, but I thought, what the hell. And thank goodness I did! I see what all these hardcore lambic lovers are talking about now. I almost felt like I was punishing myself by drinking this stuff, but I couldn't put it down! I think this is a style I could really get into. I can't recommend this beer highly enough.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Pours a deep ruby with a light off white mousse. Head retention isn't great but that is expected with the style.

Earthy funk, sour, a touch woody and a hint of fruit in the nose.

Starts with a brief hit of sweetness and big cherry flavour. This is quickly followed by a sour vinegary hit and follows again with cherry character and a hint of funk. Just great.

Medium body but high carbonation is biting and makes this beer nice a refreshing. Dry and crisp, really good.

For a style which by its very acidic nature is somewhat hard to drink this realy steps up and provides a beer with lots of other flavours going on to counteract it. A great refreshing beer.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Had on-tap at Rattle N' Hum in New York, NY on 5/29/11.
Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a beautiful bright red color. It has a small pink head on it that fizzles out quickly and leaves no lace. There are also some carbonation bubbles stuck to the side of the glass. This just looks beautiful.

S - It smells of tart sour cherries and a big barnyard funk. There are some musty grassy notes as well, and it smells a bit dry.

T - There is a big sour cherry tartness right off the bat. There is a big barnyard funkiness that works really well with the cherries. The finish is dry and a bit sour. Awesome taste.

M - It has a medium body and good tingly carbonation. It goes down good, and has some mouth puckering sourness.

O - This has awesome drinkability. It goes down good, and the flavor is just awesome. Overall, I thought this was just an awesome beer. It is my first Cantillon, and it is unlike any sour that I've had so far. I highly recommend trying this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy dark pink color with pinkish head. Aroma has very nice cherry and lambic funk notes. Perfectly balanced, not too offensive on the funky farmhouse notes. Taste starts intensely fruity, with medium tartness and rustic farmhouse note on the finish. Body is medium, quite smooth and well carbonated. Dry aftertaste. This is definitely my favorite kriek and on of the best lambic beers out there.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to angrybabboon for the bottle as a present. 2009 vintage.

Appearance: Deep dark rose. Bright pink hues at light. Head is a pale pink and drops to a thin, bubbly collar and almost non-existent head almost instantly. Hazed. Moderate carbonation.

Smell: Sweet cherry cinnamon. Cinnamon cherry bread without the overt breadiness. Huge citric tart. Cherry skins and flesh. Some lemon zest and underlying funk. Woody with some musty undertones. Almost sugary at times. So very tart. Clean citric bite. Some fruity leather. So much cherry.

Taste: Biting citric tartness. Juicy cherry flesh and skins. Some light powdery yeast. Incredibly dry tartness. Some hints of oak. Musty cellar is faint. Long lingering tart cherry. Pushes toward sour, but remains decidedly tart.

Mouthfeel: Puckering dryness. Body runs on the lighter side of medium. Nice mild carbonation. So very dry.

Overall: There's a reason Cantillon is among the best. This beer cements that reason.

Loaded with tart and cherry. Aggressive but complex. This is the elixir of dreams. I'm not sure a fruit Lambic can really improve from here if you're in to the super tart thing. A bit more fruit wouldn't hurt, but not having it doesn't hurt it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

June 5 2013 bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a deep cherry red. There was not head which made me wonder if I poured this wrong. Nonetheless, this is a gorgeous looking beer.

S: A strong cherry aroma wafted from my glass and intruded my nasal passage. There is a mild funk and oak character that also adds an interesting depth to the smell.

T: As expected the taste is cherry, cherry and of course...oak. The cherry is very potent and juicy and flavorful. The oak flavor along with some mild funk round out the flavor of this. The yeast also contributes to the juiciness of this beer. Also, this is mildly sour but not lip puckering, eye wincing, nose scrunching, fish face making sour. It's more like I shoved 5 cherries into my mouth at the same time. Just wondrous.

M: The drinkability of this is extremely dangerous. If not for the medium level of carbonation I would be drinking myself into a coma. A very light body reminds me of how delicate this beer actually is.

Overall: This is a fine lambic. Cantillon has proven that they set the bar for most sours. This beer is no different. The cherry flavor is top notch and the oak and funk make this an enjoyable beer. I'm glad I got to experience this. I guess I have to find some more of this!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

had this on tap (along with rose de gambrinus) and it was so fantastic, I had to review it again. thought they may have poured me the wrong beer at first, because when it arrived, it was a glowing, pink/raspberry color. much lighter in color than i remember. hold it up to my nose, and... woah! awesome. bright cherry flavor on top of lemon and proper cobwebby, earthy, woody, dewwy sunny country farm hillside. just fantastic. maybe this is a young keg, because the fruit flavors are so bright in the taste, and the nutty, peppery-spice notes are more round than i am used to in the bottle. nevertheless, the taste is tart, acidic fruit up front. cherry is obvious, but if i didn't know better, i would have believed there were strawberries and red raspberries in there too. the base lambic shows it's face just a little in the middle and finish with the lemon, wood, cellar and earth notes. crazy good. silky medium body that coats the palate before being completely cleaned and wiped away by the healthy acidity. i could drink this whole keg myself. wow. do not pass this up if you are lucky enough to see it on tap.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer has an incredibly deep cherry hue. Light pink head. The aroma is cherries, mineral wet stone. There's a nice malt backbone, and the perfect (yet unnoticeable) hop bitterness.

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From the bottle.

Appearance: the best looking beer I've seen to date. Incredible pale pink color with a small off-white head with a pinkish tint.

Nose: obvious sour cherries, but much lighter and more fragrant than the typical black cherry aroma. Almost a mustardy sour note, but it works with the cherry. Baking spices are evident: cinnamon, clove, nutmeg. Way more than just a bit of cherry and a bit of funk. All comes together in a really intoxicating aroma.

Taste: Tart cherry and lemon zest up front melds into a funky barnyard and hay bale middle. As it finishes the sourness fades away and there's a sweet cherry pie note when the baking spices hit. Really quite a unique and incredible taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice full carbonation but its a bit coarse. Body is nice and light though, which perfectly conveys the flavors.

Overall: Really enjoyed this. Won't hesitate to re-purchase if I see it again. It was brought to a tasting and was easily the most enjoyed beer among the tasters (not big beer geek types). One of my favorites.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon