Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 680 | Hads: 2,191
4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

2004 vintage..

an absolutely stunning day here in the lovely garden state (stop snickering).. a day deserving of a nice bottle to top off a day of work work work.

this pours like many a cantillon, flat and it looks like fruit punch, murky hawaiin punch, the carbonation is sneaky as it streams up the side and feeds a micro o-ring. these are not usually spectacular looking brews, especially cantillon from my experience but this is fine looking.

for a second I thought of rodenbach, then it got deeper... earthy rotten wood, not the kind you run across hiking the kind in an old house, sort of musty, cherries that run into bubble gum.. sourness courts your sense and entices a sip

taste etc...
first sip is bracing tart, almost saline.. ahh, cantillon. I can understand why a lot of people will never get their beers but if you liked sour patch kids you should be at home here, 4 years in the cellar and this sucker still delivers. the carbonation is the usual perfection from cantillon, so light and airy .. prickles just enough to carry across your mouth. This makes you salivate like a mad dog with all the crazy sourness abounding. once adjusted to the sour you get the cherry notes clear, and they dominate for about 2-3 seconds fading off into sourness/bitterness/salivation... so damn refreshing, an amazing product. the body works as a nice light drinking thing but the flavor is so powerful it just strikes a balance. I could drink this all afternoon in the summer....

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

750ml into pint glass. Bottled in 2007.

A- Aggressive pour conjures up head that quickly settles. Hazy amber/ruby with pink berry highlights. Head is mostly white and very thin.

S- Tart, sour. Ah, Cantillon. A bit musty, a bit funky, the fruit sweetness is apparent but not overbearing.

T- Oh so good. Tart, puckering, dry. The berry sweetness is spot-on, and is balanced incredibly well by the overall puckering tartness. I'm really digging it. Vinegar, for sure, but perhaps I'm becoming more accustomed to sours as I put it down as an afterthought.

M- Dry, tart, sour. Intense, but very tasty.

D- High. I really like this stuff, flavor, body, composition, everything is just wonderful. Highly recommended.

12oz pour at Monk's, served in a flute-type glass

A - solid two fingers of creamy soft pink colored foam, slowly retreats to a thin layer + ring leaving a thick coat of lacing down the glass. the beer is a very pretty red color and slightly hazy.

S - sweet vanilla, oak...a little sweeter than anticipated. the cherries come through in the nose, but a little subtle, graceful. not picking up much in the way of lactic or sour.

T - yum. out of nowhere the mouth explodes with fresh and lovely sour cherries with a sharp acidic and lactic bite. if all cherries tasted like this i would eat them everyday, incredibly fresh and ripe. touches of oak and vanilla finish it off. perfect.

M - light-medium body, carries an unsuspecting creaminess and slightly syrupy, but refreshing. playful carbonation dances around the mouth.

D - i was expecting to like this, not love it. i was wrong. so delicious fresh, I am psyched to go home and see how a bottle with some time on it is doing. a true work of art this this. cheers to Cantillon.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Friend brought back a bottle from New Orleans. Heck yeah! Served in a Great Divide balloon glass.

I popped off the cap and then looked away. All of the sudden, I hear the cork pop and fly. Now I know I'm in for something good. The pour is a bright red with a pink head. Definitely different from anything I've had before. Major points for the pop and brilliance.

The nose is funky feet. Pedio! Some tart cherries, too, but mostly funk.

The taste is the most sour thing I've ever sipped. Dry and unique... almost like chomping on a sour cherry warhead. The carbonation delivers the dry good wetland the mouthfeel that saps and then produces saliva in my mouth is crazy unique. Wow. The drinkability is a bit hampered by the over the top flavors, but I'm loving every bit of it. Wow.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

When you say the word Lambic you can exchange the word Cantillon because Cantillon IS Lambic. You can not get more authentic lambic style beer from anyone. This Kriek is dry, fruity, fizzy, sour, foxy, horse blanket, and earthy. Lots of flavor layers and not for the Lindemen's drinkers. Comparing Lindeman's to Cantillon is like comparing Bert Grant's Imperial Stout to Harvey and Son's Imperial. It may say they are the same style but they are two very different beers.

4.58/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Updating review on 7/19/15 as I go through my tasting notes over the past few months. Enjoyed this one out of a 375 mL bottle at Beer Kitchen in April. Label is stamped with a bottling date of 11/27/14, making this probably the youngest I've enjoyed this beer at a little under five months old. Poured into a classic Belgian tulip glass.

Appearance (4.75) - One of the most striking beers I've ever seen, with the body a somewhat cloudy/opaque cherry red hue. Bright, with almost a neon-like quality to it as the sunlight hits the glass. Atop the body sits a middling pinkish-white head of medium-sized suds. Retention is not for long, taking a few minutes to settle as a ringlet of foam around the sides of the glass with no discernible lacing to be found. Still, the color is the hero of this beer's look.

Smell (4.75) - As to be expected, the aroma leads with a wafting of sour cherry, followed closely by funky wet hay and musty oak characteristics to give the fruit some balance. It's that musty quality that really makes this beer what it is and separates it from, not only fruit beers, but other beers in the kriek style.

Taste (4.5) - The taste follows the smell quite closely, with a balance of sour cherry, barnyard funk and oaky tannins. There is also a sort of candy cinnamon undertone that I often sense from really well-done cherry-infused beers. It's not sweet or artificial like candy, but it's not a cinnamon-stick kind of cinnamon either. As it warms, the sour become more intense and the cherry really overpowers the funk and oak characteristics in a good way.

Mouthfeel (4.5) - Light bodied and moderately carbonated, with a fairly dry finish in spite of the fruit. There is also a definite puckering feel, especially as the temperature increases over time.

Overall (4.5), just a fantastic beer. It was the first kriek I ever had, early on in my foray into the wonderful world of sour beers, and it's nice to have it again now that I have so much more experience. It still holds the top spot for me as far as krieks go, and it will be hard to find one that can top it.

4.58/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a small snifter. Pours a deep raspberry, with a thin off-white head. Nose is tart cherry, and palate is dark fruit, cherry, with a hint of balsalmic vinegar. There's also a hint of a sweet aftertaste here. Overall, a deeply complex beer. A treat to try.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

This one pours a nice red color with a pink head that falls to ring the beer. The nose is fantastic. There is a nice sour tart in the nose, with a touch of cherries. I'm excited to taste this one. The flavor is sooo good. The tart and sour hits me the second I taste the beer. When I swallow it, the sourness goes strait down my throat. The flavor does not linger too long either. The aftertaste is all about the cherries. The feel is a light moderate, just where I would expect it, with a really nice carbonation of small bubbles. I could have easily had the whole bottle to myself, but I'm a good guy and I share. What a nice beer.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

A - Deep hazy beautiful reddish purple. Carbonation and lacing was perfect and long lasting.

S - Tons of horse blanket, band aide and sour fruit with additional grassy weed notes.

T - Taste is incredible, lots of sour and cherry, with exceptional balance. There is also a yeasty vanilla note that is a bit medicinal, but still pleasant. The flavor evolves as the beer warms and you can let every sip sit on your tongue.

M/D - Mouthfeel was biting but smoothed out quickly with great aftertaste and a slight sour burn. Extremely drinkable with such a great balance!

4.58/5  rDev +8%

My first Cantillon! Let's see what all the fuss is about.

A- Well, I must say, this is a gorgeous beer. Bright ruby with a nice, frothy pink head. Head dissipates a little quickly, though.

S- Acidic to the max. At first it seems like it's just sharp and acidic. Then, as my nose adjusts, some barnyard funk is evident. Finally the cherry comes in. In fact, I really only got the cherry when I pulled my nose away from the beer. It took a while before my nose adjusted to the point that I could really smell the cherry amongst all the other aromas.

T- Whoa, hello! This is some tart stuff right here! Mouth-puckering sourness overwhelms the tastebuds as the liquid hits the tongue. Sharp notes of vinegar, lemon juice and horsey funk are first, with a fantastic sour cherry flavor on the aftertaste. Intense! I thought my nose needed time to adjust; I'm not sure my taste buds can ever adjust to this stuff. Not that that's a bad thing. In fact, it's a great thing! I don't want this stuff to lose its edge. I like knowing what is coming on every sip and still being unprepared. Damn, this is good.

M- Medium-bodied and well carbonated. The mouthfeel is really the last thing on my mind when I'm drinking this beer, but when I concentrate on it I realize that it's because it complements the flavor so well. The carbonation is at the perfect level to accentuate the sourness.

D- Near perfection. The sourness limits the speed at which I can drink it, but certainly not the amount I can drink. I'm not sure one 750 ml bottle is enough.

This was certainly an eye-opener. Really the first authentic, traditional lambic I've tried, too. I was a little concerned going in that I shouldn't be jumping into the deep end right away, so to speak, but I thought, what the hell. And thank goodness I did! I see what all these hardcore lambic lovers are talking about now. I almost felt like I was punishing myself by drinking this stuff, but I couldn't put it down! I think this is a style I could really get into. I can't recommend this beer highly enough.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Pours a deep ruby with a light off white mousse. Head retention isn't great but that is expected with the style.

Earthy funk, sour, a touch woody and a hint of fruit in the nose.

Starts with a brief hit of sweetness and big cherry flavour. This is quickly followed by a sour vinegary hit and follows again with cherry character and a hint of funk. Just great.

Medium body but high carbonation is biting and makes this beer nice a refreshing. Dry and crisp, really good.

For a style which by its very acidic nature is somewhat hard to drink this realy steps up and provides a beer with lots of other flavours going on to counteract it. A great refreshing beer.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Had on-tap at Rattle N' Hum in New York, NY on 5/29/11.
Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a beautiful bright red color. It has a small pink head on it that fizzles out quickly and leaves no lace. There are also some carbonation bubbles stuck to the side of the glass. This just looks beautiful.

S - It smells of tart sour cherries and a big barnyard funk. There are some musty grassy notes as well, and it smells a bit dry.

T - There is a big sour cherry tartness right off the bat. There is a big barnyard funkiness that works really well with the cherries. The finish is dry and a bit sour. Awesome taste.

M - It has a medium body and good tingly carbonation. It goes down good, and has some mouth puckering sourness.

O - This has awesome drinkability. It goes down good, and the flavor is just awesome. Overall, I thought this was just an awesome beer. It is my first Cantillon, and it is unlike any sour that I've had so far. I highly recommend trying this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to angrybabboon for the bottle as a present. 2009 vintage.

Appearance: Deep dark rose. Bright pink hues at light. Head is a pale pink and drops to a thin, bubbly collar and almost non-existent head almost instantly. Hazed. Moderate carbonation.

Smell: Sweet cherry cinnamon. Cinnamon cherry bread without the overt breadiness. Huge citric tart. Cherry skins and flesh. Some lemon zest and underlying funk. Woody with some musty undertones. Almost sugary at times. So very tart. Clean citric bite. Some fruity leather. So much cherry.

Taste: Biting citric tartness. Juicy cherry flesh and skins. Some light powdery yeast. Incredibly dry tartness. Some hints of oak. Musty cellar is faint. Long lingering tart cherry. Pushes toward sour, but remains decidedly tart.

Mouthfeel: Puckering dryness. Body runs on the lighter side of medium. Nice mild carbonation. So very dry.

Overall: There's a reason Cantillon is among the best. This beer cements that reason.

Loaded with tart and cherry. Aggressive but complex. This is the elixir of dreams. I'm not sure a fruit Lambic can really improve from here if you're in to the super tart thing. A bit more fruit wouldn't hurt, but not having it doesn't hurt it.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

June 5 2013 bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a deep cherry red. There was not head which made me wonder if I poured this wrong. Nonetheless, this is a gorgeous looking beer.

S: A strong cherry aroma wafted from my glass and intruded my nasal passage. There is a mild funk and oak character that also adds an interesting depth to the smell.

T: As expected the taste is cherry, cherry and of course...oak. The cherry is very potent and juicy and flavorful. The oak flavor along with some mild funk round out the flavor of this. The yeast also contributes to the juiciness of this beer. Also, this is mildly sour but not lip puckering, eye wincing, nose scrunching, fish face making sour. It's more like I shoved 5 cherries into my mouth at the same time. Just wondrous.

M: The drinkability of this is extremely dangerous. If not for the medium level of carbonation I would be drinking myself into a coma. A very light body reminds me of how delicate this beer actually is.

Overall: This is a fine lambic. Cantillon has proven that they set the bar for most sours. This beer is no different. The cherry flavor is top notch and the oak and funk make this an enjoyable beer. I'm glad I got to experience this. I guess I have to find some more of this!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

had this on tap (along with rose de gambrinus) and it was so fantastic, I had to review it again. thought they may have poured me the wrong beer at first, because when it arrived, it was a glowing, pink/raspberry color. much lighter in color than i remember. hold it up to my nose, and... woah! awesome. bright cherry flavor on top of lemon and proper cobwebby, earthy, woody, dewwy sunny country farm hillside. just fantastic. maybe this is a young keg, because the fruit flavors are so bright in the taste, and the nutty, peppery-spice notes are more round than i am used to in the bottle. nevertheless, the taste is tart, acidic fruit up front. cherry is obvious, but if i didn't know better, i would have believed there were strawberries and red raspberries in there too. the base lambic shows it's face just a little in the middle and finish with the lemon, wood, cellar and earth notes. crazy good. silky medium body that coats the palate before being completely cleaned and wiped away by the healthy acidity. i could drink this whole keg myself. wow. do not pass this up if you are lucky enough to see it on tap.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer has an incredibly deep cherry hue. Light pink head. The aroma is cherries, mineral wet stone. There's a nice malt backbone, and the perfect (yet unnoticeable) hop bitterness.

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From the bottle.

Appearance: the best looking beer I've seen to date. Incredible pale pink color with a small off-white head with a pinkish tint.

Nose: obvious sour cherries, but much lighter and more fragrant than the typical black cherry aroma. Almost a mustardy sour note, but it works with the cherry. Baking spices are evident: cinnamon, clove, nutmeg. Way more than just a bit of cherry and a bit of funk. All comes together in a really intoxicating aroma.

Taste: Tart cherry and lemon zest up front melds into a funky barnyard and hay bale middle. As it finishes the sourness fades away and there's a sweet cherry pie note when the baking spices hit. Really quite a unique and incredible taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice full carbonation but its a bit coarse. Body is nice and light though, which perfectly conveys the flavors.

Overall: Really enjoyed this. Won't hesitate to re-purchase if I see it again. It was brought to a tasting and was easily the most enjoyed beer among the tasters (not big beer geek types). One of my favorites.

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

bottle poured into two maple syrup glasses (snifter type)
1 inch of head that dissipates to a thin layer.
color is a beutiful cherry rose.
carbonation is light.
nose is light horseblanket and fruit; very nice
taste is amazing and mouthfeel is smooth.
sweet cherry and tart up front followed by a smooth finish of light tart and dryness with residual sweet.
I really like this beer and highly recommend it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Stone RIS tulip glass.

Pours a rich, crystal clear, ruby red with a pink head that builds up quick and dissipates right away. Nose is tart cherries, grapes, plums and sour fruits and just a slight hint of something woody. The taste is super tart, sour cherries, red grapes, pears, raspberries all rounded out with a very effervescent kick. The extreme carbonation fades out and leaves notes of tart cherry juice sitting on the tongue. Originally I thought I'd prefer this over the raspberry Cantillon I bought at the same time but I actually think I may have liked the Rose de Gambrinus slightly better. This is still a great lambic and it satisfies the craving I had for a sour ever since I had Gueze Fond at dinner. I hope to find more Cantillon at some point, especially Blaeber.

4.62/5  rDev +9%

I picked up a 750ml bottle at a local store that didn't look like it would have gems like this on the rack in the cooler. Cost: $9.29. The dark green bottle had the neck and top wrapped in black foil, was capped, and corked. No bottled on or freshness dates in view on the label. However, the cork read "bottled in 1997".
Poured into my favorite tasting glass after sitting for at least half an hour, this beer had a clear candy apple red with a light wispy white head that dissolved down to a small ring. Slight aggitation brought out fine carbonation. A visually inviting start.
The nose was pungent, nose-wrinkling, and amazing. Almost surreally tart, sour and exuding a slight barnyard funkiness, the aromas of cherries and hints of earthy malt and vinegar made my mouth water and dry up at the same time.
*first sip* Mouth puckering, eyes watering, cheeks imploding....
*2nd taste* Light feel, big-time dry. Getting used to the extreme tartness bordering on sour. Mein Gott, unlike any beer I've tried yet. Deeply acidic, with a hearty blast of cherries and a tongue-buckling dryness. Some light yeastiness. I'm well into my glass now, at least 6-7 full tastes. My tongue is a desert and I have a building warmth in my belly. The crisp, implacable cherry-infused sourness dominates the flavor. I think I'll need an IV if I want to finish the bottle tonight. Has an incredibly long dry finish that tauts that barnyard funk and vinegar bite.
So this is what a truly authentic kriek lambic is all about. Wow! I've got to try other Cantillon offerings. This was a real treat. After missing yesterday's SoCal BA event at the Belgian fest at Lucky Baldwin's, I can find solace in this wondrous beer.

2002 edition.
Pours a hazy dark red, topped with a two finger pink-tan head, dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.
Sweaty, oily aroma, nuts, cherry, grape skin, lemon, "barnyard" notes.
Very dry and tart taste, lemon juice, cherrry, tannic, vinegar, musty.
Light bodied, very tart, dry. It goes good with salad.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful pour on this one, bright pink/red. Nice two finger pink head, very bubbly. The cherry is very upfront in the smell. Tart cherry skin and a little bit of funk. Taste isn't as tart as I expected, pretty gentle, nice bubbly mouthfeel. Cherries and cinnamon. Great cherry aftertaste. Very nice lambic, even if it isn't incredibly complex.

12 oz bottle
Bottled in 2001

A: Pours a reddish-pink color with a not a head, per se, but lots of big bubbles. No lacing, just a frothy ring around the tulip.

S: Typical musty Belgian funk smell with a mild fruityness. Slightly medicinal smelling, but not in a bad way.

T: Very tart as expected. Strong cherry taste, but not so much as to overpowering that wonderful lambic dirty sock taste. Also a prominent citric flavor.

M: Medium-bodied with high carbonation. A dry and slightly chalky texture.

D: Excellent if you like intense lambics. The taste of course makes this an occasional beer, and one only drank in small quantities. Very good, and worth the price tag.

4.62/5  rDev +9%

I don't know if I'll ever get out. I shall most likely meet my end here. I can still recall the view as I gazed down, before the plunge... looking into the dark, I could make out a rusty stream flowing through the limestone and clay. A couple of bubbles floated along every so often, and there was some dense loam-looking dust being carried along, a greyish sediment.
I turned and took a glance at the forest before attempting my grueling descent. But then I slipped, a rock loose, a rush of flailing, thrashing against jagged edges, and skidding to a halt in the morass.
And then it began; at first the slight tinkle of grains of sand, then pebbles, then I had to scrabble across the stream to avoid being crushed by the avalanche.

And then... Silence.

Strange how other senses seem heightened when one is taken away. Suddenly immense aromas flood my mind. I feel along until I come to a wall of rock. I learned of this before, "Brettanomyces." That's it. Immense sour notes, even reminiscent of green-oak. It melds with the dank mustiness all around me, the mould, memories of Grandpa's cellar, the spelunking I used to enjoy. It will be the death of me. My leather shoes are soaked now in the mire, and it lends another aroma, one that can only be described as limestone and a dank creek bed.
I suppose I am to die of hunger, for it is certainly less torturous than dying of thirst. I bend down to the creek that I remember seeing and taste. Everything that I just experienced is there, and more. There must be a cherry orchard somewhere far upstream. The intense sourness is recognizable now, as fermented cherry skins. Occasionally there is a hint of sweetness there, but it is certainly overwhelmed by the sour. An oak log must be there as well, the other distinct note is an oak-sour. All of this blends with the flavors of the mould and limestone-clay of this cave...
The sourness had added a strange element to the feel of the water as well, as it is quite puckering and dry, more so even than fine sherry. There is no carbonation.

Now that I have tasted this... I'm not certain I will try to dig my way out. I may just lie here and waste away next to this stream... the nectar of which is taking me closer and closer to paradise.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage 750 ml split with my wife

A: Cherry red with a pinkish, purple head that soon turns white, fades quickly leaving minimal lacing.

S: You can honestly smell this beer from several feet away. Tart cherries, wild yeast, and that distinctive Cantillon funk of which I have grown so fond.

T: Remarkably smooth and incredibly sour, if that makes sense. Tart cherries are the dominant taste, with notes of yeasty bread, cherry pits, nuts, dirt, grass, trees (a general outdoor aroma & taste). Very tasty.

M: Low carbonation, puckering sourness.

D: Overall, a great beer. I highly recommend it. Anytime we open a Cantillon is a good time.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon