Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 668 | Hads: 2,134
4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a deep ruby with a light off white mousse. Head retention isn't great but that is expected with the style.

Earthy funk, sour, a touch woody and a hint of fruit in the nose.

Starts with a brief hit of sweetness and big cherry flavour. This is quickly followed by a sour vinegary hit and follows again with cherry character and a hint of funk. Just great.

Medium body but high carbonation is biting and makes this beer nice a refreshing. Dry and crisp, really good.

For a style which by its very acidic nature is somewhat hard to drink this realy steps up and provides a beer with lots of other flavours going on to counteract it. A great refreshing beer. (663 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Had on-tap at Rattle N' Hum in New York, NY on 5/29/11.
Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a beautiful bright red color. It has a small pink head on it that fizzles out quickly and leaves no lace. There are also some carbonation bubbles stuck to the side of the glass. This just looks beautiful.

S - It smells of tart sour cherries and a big barnyard funk. There are some musty grassy notes as well, and it smells a bit dry.

T - There is a big sour cherry tartness right off the bat. There is a big barnyard funkiness that works really well with the cherries. The finish is dry and a bit sour. Awesome taste.

M - It has a medium body and good tingly carbonation. It goes down good, and has some mouth puckering sourness.

O - This has awesome drinkability. It goes down good, and the flavor is just awesome. Overall, I thought this was just an awesome beer. It is my first Cantillon, and it is unlike any sour that I've had so far. I highly recommend trying this. (978 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to angrybabboon for the bottle as a present. 2009 vintage.

Appearance: Deep dark rose. Bright pink hues at light. Head is a pale pink and drops to a thin, bubbly collar and almost non-existent head almost instantly. Hazed. Moderate carbonation.

Smell: Sweet cherry cinnamon. Cinnamon cherry bread without the overt breadiness. Huge citric tart. Cherry skins and flesh. Some lemon zest and underlying funk. Woody with some musty undertones. Almost sugary at times. So very tart. Clean citric bite. Some fruity leather. So much cherry.

Taste: Biting citric tartness. Juicy cherry flesh and skins. Some light powdery yeast. Incredibly dry tartness. Some hints of oak. Musty cellar is faint. Long lingering tart cherry. Pushes toward sour, but remains decidedly tart.

Mouthfeel: Puckering dryness. Body runs on the lighter side of medium. Nice mild carbonation. So very dry.

Overall: There's a reason Cantillon is among the best. This beer cements that reason.

Loaded with tart and cherry. Aggressive but complex. This is the elixir of dreams. I'm not sure a fruit Lambic can really improve from here if you're in to the super tart thing. A bit more fruit wouldn't hurt, but not having it doesn't hurt it. (1,215 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

June 5 2013 bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a deep cherry red. There was not head which made me wonder if I poured this wrong. Nonetheless, this is a gorgeous looking beer.

S: A strong cherry aroma wafted from my glass and intruded my nasal passage. There is a mild funk and oak character that also adds an interesting depth to the smell.

T: As expected the taste is cherry, cherry and of course...oak. The cherry is very potent and juicy and flavorful. The oak flavor along with some mild funk round out the flavor of this. The yeast also contributes to the juiciness of this beer. Also, this is mildly sour but not lip puckering, eye wincing, nose scrunching, fish face making sour. It's more like I shoved 5 cherries into my mouth at the same time. Just wondrous.

M: The drinkability of this is extremely dangerous. If not for the medium level of carbonation I would be drinking myself into a coma. A very light body reminds me of how delicate this beer actually is.

Overall: This is a fine lambic. Cantillon has proven that they set the bar for most sours. This beer is no different. The cherry flavor is top notch and the oak and funk make this an enjoyable beer. I'm glad I got to experience this. I guess I have to find some more of this! (1,257 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

had this on tap (along with rose de gambrinus) and it was so fantastic, I had to review it again. thought they may have poured me the wrong beer at first, because when it arrived, it was a glowing, pink/raspberry color. much lighter in color than i remember. hold it up to my nose, and... woah! awesome. bright cherry flavor on top of lemon and proper cobwebby, earthy, woody, dewwy sunny country farm hillside. just fantastic. maybe this is a young keg, because the fruit flavors are so bright in the taste, and the nutty, peppery-spice notes are more round than i am used to in the bottle. nevertheless, the taste is tart, acidic fruit up front. cherry is obvious, but if i didn't know better, i would have believed there were strawberries and red raspberries in there too. the base lambic shows it's face just a little in the middle and finish with the lemon, wood, cellar and earth notes. crazy good. silky medium body that coats the palate before being completely cleaned and wiped away by the healthy acidity. i could drink this whole keg myself. wow. do not pass this up if you are lucky enough to see it on tap. (1,119 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This beer has an incredibly deep cherry hue. Light pink head. The aroma is cherries, mineral wet stone. There's a nice malt backbone, and the perfect (yet unnoticeable) hop bitterness. (184 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +10%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From the bottle.

Appearance: the best looking beer I've seen to date. Incredible pale pink color with a small off-white head with a pinkish tint.

Nose: obvious sour cherries, but much lighter and more fragrant than the typical black cherry aroma. Almost a mustardy sour note, but it works with the cherry. Baking spices are evident: cinnamon, clove, nutmeg. Way more than just a bit of cherry and a bit of funk. All comes together in a really intoxicating aroma.

Taste: Tart cherry and lemon zest up front melds into a funky barnyard and hay bale middle. As it finishes the sourness fades away and there's a sweet cherry pie note when the baking spices hit. Really quite a unique and incredible taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice full carbonation but its a bit coarse. Body is nice and light though, which perfectly conveys the flavors.

Overall: Really enjoyed this. Won't hesitate to re-purchase if I see it again. It was brought to a tasting and was easily the most enjoyed beer among the tasters (not big beer geek types). One of my favorites. (1,040 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

bottle poured into two maple syrup glasses (snifter type)
1 inch of head that dissipates to a thin layer.
color is a beutiful cherry rose.
carbonation is light.
nose is light horseblanket and fruit; very nice
taste is amazing and mouthfeel is smooth.
sweet cherry and tart up front followed by a smooth finish of light tart and dryness with residual sweet.
I really like this beer and highly recommend it. (406 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Stone RIS tulip glass.

Pours a rich, crystal clear, ruby red with a pink head that builds up quick and dissipates right away. Nose is tart cherries, grapes, plums and sour fruits and just a slight hint of something woody. The taste is super tart, sour cherries, red grapes, pears, raspberries all rounded out with a very effervescent kick. The extreme carbonation fades out and leaves notes of tart cherry juice sitting on the tongue. Originally I thought I'd prefer this over the raspberry Cantillon I bought at the same time but I actually think I may have liked the Rose de Gambrinus slightly better. This is still a great lambic and it satisfies the craving I had for a sour ever since I had Gueze Fond at dinner. I hope to find more Cantillon at some point, especially Blaeber. (795 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%

I picked up a 750ml bottle at a local store that didn't look like it would have gems like this on the rack in the cooler. Cost: $9.29. The dark green bottle had the neck and top wrapped in black foil, was capped, and corked. No bottled on or freshness dates in view on the label. However, the cork read "bottled in 1997".
Poured into my favorite tasting glass after sitting for at least half an hour, this beer had a clear candy apple red with a light wispy white head that dissolved down to a small ring. Slight aggitation brought out fine carbonation. A visually inviting start.
The nose was pungent, nose-wrinkling, and amazing. Almost surreally tart, sour and exuding a slight barnyard funkiness, the aromas of cherries and hints of earthy malt and vinegar made my mouth water and dry up at the same time.
*first sip* Mouth puckering, eyes watering, cheeks imploding....
*2nd taste* Light feel, big-time dry. Getting used to the extreme tartness bordering on sour. Mein Gott, unlike any beer I've tried yet. Deeply acidic, with a hearty blast of cherries and a tongue-buckling dryness. Some light yeastiness. I'm well into my glass now, at least 6-7 full tastes. My tongue is a desert and I have a building warmth in my belly. The crisp, implacable cherry-infused sourness dominates the flavor. I think I'll need an IV if I want to finish the bottle tonight. Has an incredibly long dry finish that tauts that barnyard funk and vinegar bite.
So this is what a truly authentic kriek lambic is all about. Wow! I've got to try other Cantillon offerings. This was a real treat. After missing yesterday's SoCal BA event at the Belgian fest at Lucky Baldwin's, I can find solace in this wondrous beer. (1,703 characters)

2002 edition.
Pours a hazy dark red, topped with a two finger pink-tan head, dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.
Sweaty, oily aroma, nuts, cherry, grape skin, lemon, "barnyard" notes.
Very dry and tart taste, lemon juice, cherrry, tannic, vinegar, musty.
Light bodied, very tart, dry. It goes good with salad. (318 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful pour on this one, bright pink/red. Nice two finger pink head, very bubbly. The cherry is very upfront in the smell. Tart cherry skin and a little bit of funk. Taste isn't as tart as I expected, pretty gentle, nice bubbly mouthfeel. Cherries and cinnamon. Great cherry aftertaste. Very nice lambic, even if it isn't incredibly complex. (344 characters)

12 oz bottle
Bottled in 2001

A: Pours a reddish-pink color with a not a head, per se, but lots of big bubbles. No lacing, just a frothy ring around the tulip.

S: Typical musty Belgian funk smell with a mild fruityness. Slightly medicinal smelling, but not in a bad way.

T: Very tart as expected. Strong cherry taste, but not so much as to overpowering that wonderful lambic dirty sock taste. Also a prominent citric flavor.

M: Medium-bodied with high carbonation. A dry and slightly chalky texture.

D: Excellent if you like intense lambics. The taste of course makes this an occasional beer, and one only drank in small quantities. Very good, and worth the price tag. (672 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%

I don't know if I'll ever get out. I shall most likely meet my end here. I can still recall the view as I gazed down, before the plunge... looking into the dark, I could make out a rusty stream flowing through the limestone and clay. A couple of bubbles floated along every so often, and there was some dense loam-looking dust being carried along, a greyish sediment.
I turned and took a glance at the forest before attempting my grueling descent. But then I slipped, a rock loose, a rush of flailing, thrashing against jagged edges, and skidding to a halt in the morass.
And then it began; at first the slight tinkle of grains of sand, then pebbles, then I had to scrabble across the stream to avoid being crushed by the avalanche.

And then... Silence.

Strange how other senses seem heightened when one is taken away. Suddenly immense aromas flood my mind. I feel along until I come to a wall of rock. I learned of this before, "Brettanomyces." That's it. Immense sour notes, even reminiscent of green-oak. It melds with the dank mustiness all around me, the mould, memories of Grandpa's cellar, the spelunking I used to enjoy. It will be the death of me. My leather shoes are soaked now in the mire, and it lends another aroma, one that can only be described as limestone and a dank creek bed.
I suppose I am to die of hunger, for it is certainly less torturous than dying of thirst. I bend down to the creek that I remember seeing and taste. Everything that I just experienced is there, and more. There must be a cherry orchard somewhere far upstream. The intense sourness is recognizable now, as fermented cherry skins. Occasionally there is a hint of sweetness there, but it is certainly overwhelmed by the sour. An oak log must be there as well, the other distinct note is an oak-sour. All of this blends with the flavors of the mould and limestone-clay of this cave...
The sourness had added a strange element to the feel of the water as well, as it is quite puckering and dry, more so even than fine sherry. There is no carbonation.

Now that I have tasted this... I'm not certain I will try to dig my way out. I may just lie here and waste away next to this stream... the nectar of which is taking me closer and closer to paradise. (2,245 characters)

2010 vintage 750 ml split with my wife

A: Cherry red with a pinkish, purple head that soon turns white, fades quickly leaving minimal lacing.

S: You can honestly smell this beer from several feet away. Tart cherries, wild yeast, and that distinctive Cantillon funk of which I have grown so fond.

T: Remarkably smooth and incredibly sour, if that makes sense. Tart cherries are the dominant taste, with notes of yeasty bread, cherry pits, nuts, dirt, grass, trees (a general outdoor aroma & taste). Very tasty.

M: Low carbonation, puckering sourness.

D: Overall, a great beer. I highly recommend it. Anytime we open a Cantillon is a good time. (647 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%

Green bottle from The Lighthouse in Manchester. Pours a slightly hazy bright red with a thin film of pink head. Smells fruity and acidic with hints of malt. Tastes initially sweet and fruity, slightly malty, and very sour. Pretty light in body, fairly aqueous, and light in carbonation. Takes a little getting used to, but after a few sips, brilliantly sour, subtly complex, and very enjoyable indeed. I'm hooked. (413 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the real deal Kriek Lambic. The appearance is a light pink almost wine looking. The smell is very strong and sweet. The taste is extremely sour and tart. This one sips like a sweet wine. My other lambic experience was with Lindemans, which now seems like cheap imitation, although still delicious (304 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L- Very opaique cherry red with nice lace
S- the smell is very sour, you can almost taste the wild yeast
T-Extremely tart with very nice after taste of un ripened cherry.
F-acidic cherry with a nice medium body (210 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a wine glass out of a 375ml bottle. Back label states that it was bottled in "May 2011" and that it should be consumed before December 2011. However, as it is bottle-conditioned, it can be apparently cellared for the next 10 years - although be weary that doing so will cause it to change its flavor and texture quite radically.

I've been very much enjoying every single Cantillon I've found across Europe so far. This one is a perfect reason why it is worthwhile to seek out their beers. The pour is absolutely incredible. It has a ruby, slightly reddish tone that resembles the glimmer of jewelry. No one would EVER guess that this was a beer by looking at it - the fact that it has no head (a few bubbles) and the consistency of wine makes it even more fascinating.

Smell is great: an ideal lambic funkiness with a tart sourness that everyone seems to agree on when reviewing Cantillon lambics. There's an incredible zestiness of lemon rinds to the flavor, as well as a spicy aroma that remains throughout. I can sort of pick up cherry notes, yet again, just like with their rosé, it's hard to distinguish precise fruits past the funk.

And the taste is equally impressive as well. Not getting much cherry, yet I am indeed getting other notes of far more sour fruits such as boysenberries, blackberries... all topped with lemon juice. The wheat does indeed become present towards the end, which is as "bready" this gets. It's more on the sweet than bitter side, yet the sourness is what shines here. I expected this one to be really intense, but it turned out to be the most satisfying sour I've had from Cantillon so far. Really refreshing and tasty. Dry like wine, and contains the consistency of champagne - with far less bubbles. Manages to be classy and informal at the same time.

My favorite Cantillon so far. I could drink this every week if it weren't for the high price tag. I probably won't be able to drink krieks (or hell, even most lambics) in the same way ever again! (2,000 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance is a slightly hazy ruby red with a two finger pink fizzy head.
Aroma is tart, mineral, musty, raspberry and cherry. Very complex
Flavor is cherry and raspberry seeds, tart with a little mustiness.
Mouthfeel is medium with a dry finish that keeps you coming back.
This beer is outstanding in Every way.
Its extremely similar to atrial rubicite, this being slightly more balanced.
A real treat to drink, hope to eventually get some more. (448 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11%

Appearance – This was delivered in a tiny little Chimay glass. It was a beautiful raspberry red in color with a pink head. The colors were just brilliant and it probably was the prettiest glass of beer that I have ever seen.

Smell – The sharp sweet and sour nose was amazing. The luscious, fresh raspberries smelled so natural and fresh they rivaled the smell of real raspberries. This was a collusion of nature, a rich, fruity freshness and the light beer-like malt with the sophisticated aroma of dull soury lemon.

Taste – The tart flavors were so big at the taste that I literally did a double-take. They were mixed with a fresh fruity sweetness in just the right ratio. The raspberries from the nose accompanied some wonderful but not overpowering cherry flavors. The malts were light, just enough to let the drinker know that he is drinking a beer.

Mouthfeel – This was a bit bigger than light-bodied and perfectly carbonated. The feel in the cheeks was light and fluffy yet lively enough to keep one entertained. The tartness was bigger than other samples of the style but played right into the bold flavors of this wonderful Lambic.

Drinkability – This was the show-stopper of the night at the O’Brien’s pre-Stone 10th Anniversary BA Party. Any fan of the style would die for a taste of this offering from Cantillon. (1,342 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11%

One of my all time favorite beers. Didn't realize the bottle I picked up was from 3/2008 until I got home. so 2.5 yrs old at this time. I always try to drink fruit lambics as fresh as possible so this will be a new for me. My ratings reflect my overall opinion of the beer, not this particular sampling.

App- Ruby red with minimal white lacing. Time as faded this as it's is usually more vibrant.

Sm- Smell continues to be overwhelming tart cherries. Thought that hte age woudl bring more funk out in this, but it has not been able to ovewhelm the fruit still. There is some distant mustiness in there.

Ta- Amazing lactic sourness you expect form cantillon. Extremely dry. While the cherry flavor has matured it is still there. Just doesn't taste quite as fresh. Has changed a bit into a floral rosey flavor Some medicinal phenols but very minimal.

MF- Just enough carbonation to accentuate the lactic. Fairly thin body.

Dr- The acidty pays so well with the fruit I could drink a few glasses of this.

This is the beer I judge all other krieks from. (1,055 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11%

Served on tap at the Devil's Den, I have not had this in two years, and the last time I had it on tap was six years ago at Monk's

100% looks great a bold blood soaked red with active bubbles rising. The head looks just like the liquid in color and reaches a finga and a half with tightness, not much lace but who cares.

Smells include 100% kriek cherries, they are really pronounced and up in my grill. A very small medicinal scent thats an afterthought. Some oak and vanilla and a pleasant sour vibe. Not as earthy as other Cantillons, barely and barnyard or hay.

When I had this out of a 2 year old bottle it was the most sourest beer I've ever had, this must be a fresh keg cause the sourness is subdued compared to that. Cherries, oak, vanilla, Cantillon.

Thin bodied with active carb and a nice sourness that is quite puckering.

If this was not 9 bills a glass I would be all over this, this young keg is much more drinkable than an old bottle and more to my liking (975 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

12 oz bottle bottled in 2006 poured into ommegang glass after allowing to breathe

Appearance: No head whatsoever and a ruby cranberry juice like color, no signs of carbonation

Smell: FUnky cheese, warm brie rind, mushroom, vegetal, and o yea a little raspberry and cherry,cherry.

Taste: Really hits the back of the palate, some of that funky aroma carries over to the flavor as well with some bitter cheese rind and this beer is SOUR, the flavor is intense as about anything ive had and just puckering sour. awesome. The finish is surprisingly juicy and fruity with sweetness and the cherry really shines at this point on the finish and lingers and lingers.

Overall: Cantillon is what it is, they make the best lambic beers in the world. Period. This is one of the best fruit beers that are in the world that will redefine you definition of fruit beer if you have not had it. Just outstanding (896 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Dark deep ruby red color. Some pink in the head. The head is frothy but doesn't have a lot of retention. Perfectly translucent.

S: The cherry tartness is what dominates the smell, obviously. But, there is the usual funky ness that is to be expected from any Cantillon beer. The horse blanket and overall mustiness are there.

T: Well, it's a strong strong cherry acidic bite. It's amazing. And it's just nicely balanced by the mustiness. Top tier.

M: As usual, light and refreshing. The carbonation is strong but it doesn't sting the tongue.

O: It is a great beer, but you have to expect the immense tartness of this beer. For those who enjoy sour beers, this is a no brainer. (682 characters)

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon