1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a hazy, rose/rust color. 1/6 inch head of an off-pink color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of citrus, slight tart malt, hint of sweet malt, earthiness, and a hint of hop. Fits the style of a Lambic - Fruit. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carboantion level. There is also a strong associated tartness. Tastes of citrus, earthiness, tart malt, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of grain. Overall, great aroma and body.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Brilliant looking scarlet red/orange hue. A nice looking white head fizzles away quickly. A little barnyard on the nose. Sour cherry as well. And horse blanket in a way. The first thing that hits my palete is lactic sourness. This fucker is tart. It's not disagreeable though and I was a little gunshy going into this from what I had heard. I never thought I'd say it, but this beer has some Barnyard and Horse Blanket flavors going on. And they're enjoyable to boot. This beer is so damn acidic. This is the first beer I've had in a while that really made me sit up and take notice. You can tell that a lot of attention and detail went into the crafting of this beverage. Lots of character. Huge citrus notes as well. Some cherry sourness. You wouldn't think a beer like this would be drinkable, but something keeps begging me to take more sips.

I can understand why this may not be everybody's "cup of tea", especially novice beer drinkers, but I think I could acquire a taste for this. Problem is, it'd just be too damn expensive to do so. I'll stick with my Barleywines, Imperial Stouts and IPAs that are more affordable unless I have an opportunity to try other lambic styles form this brewery.

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Cool little pink head pour, thin head. Delicious sour cherry aroma, real fruit in the nose, not fruit juice w/ sugar added. Smell the funk (good funk).

Taste, quite sour, just like I like 'em. Cherry flavor is not thick, nice and spritzy with the sour. Slightly sweet. Not balanced, in a good way. Bitter and acidity might be a problem for the less learned palate, or simply if you're just not into this kind of flavor smacking sour. You get a bit of everything here, good barrel tinge, great sour, great fruit, even with time on it, still tastes fresh, not one dimensional at all.

Mouthfeel, the slightest wood nuance is noticeable. Very dry finish to this. Sour cherry flavor is the best cherry flavor most often.

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%

2011 vintage. Pours deep cherry red with a fizzy, soapy looking pink head that soon subsides. Minimal slippery lace. Strong nose of powerfully tart cherries; lemony acidity, and a light funky straw barn component. Perhaps a hint of...leather?

Very sour cherry flavor that's bone dry; lots of lemon and acidity; again some musty hay and funk notes. Both sweetness and vinegar aspects are extremely minimal-this is all about in your face sour cherry. Subtler notes of oak, green apple, and more emerge as the beers opens a bit.

Perfect mouthfeel for the style; medium to very slightly light with spritely carbonation. Crisp and puckering. Probably the best kriek I've had although I haven't opened my Lou Pepe yet. Similar in intensity to Hanssen's kriek.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle opened on 4.16.13
Bottled 10 November 2011

A - Pours a bright red with a fizzy light pink head that fades very quickly.

S - Tart, over-ripe raspberries, funky-earhiness.

T - Sweet cherry, funk, raspberry, earthy, very complex and wonderful.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - Fruit, slight funk, complex and lovely to drink.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottled October 23, 2013.

A - Fizzy bright cherry red with 2 fingers of reddish-white head.

S - Sour cherry, funk, bready sweetness. Slightly unexpected nose.

T - Dry sourness up front that is slightly puckering and is accompanied by a big funk presence. There is defintiely a sour cherry presence but it is not as prominent as I expected or would have liked.

M - Medium body; exceptionally dry. Moderate carbonation.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

On-tap at Leon's Full Service in Atlanta.

Pours a bright red color with a thin and quickly disappearing pink head that settles into a thin ring around the glass and a wispy layer upon swishing the glass.

Smells of tart cherries with just a hint of sweetness and loads of funk.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. After puckering up a bit on the first sip I become acclimated and can pick out flavors like tart cherries, a good deal of funk, very small hints of leafy hops and even smaller hints of assorted berries. The ending is very dry.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing the glass and could have another.

Overall I'm beginning to learn that sours are all about nuance. The flavors aren't overly complex, it's just getting the levels just right that's key. This one hits the mark, well worth a shot.

4.19/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into tulip 14/7/13 bottled Jan, 2013

A slight haze in a dark ruby red body, lovely color with a large short lived pink foam that leaves no lace, about what I expected

S cheesy funks strong, leafy hops, real cherries, wet wood, jujubes, more funk, faint gym socks, and some cranberries

T even more funk but the cherries are a little stronger too, I'm getting some strawberries I didn't smell along with some dry cereal

M light bodied, a little foamy, tart and sour but its not turning my mouth inside-out, cherries and woody funk linger on the finish

O I was expecting a little more fruit in this relatively fresh lambic but I can live with the heavy funk, other then that it's more or less what I was expecting

I knew sooner or later I'd need to cough up the cash to try this one, its a solid brew and a funk monster but its hard to drop the dough when I could get few great brews for the same price as this single bottle. That being said I'm probably going to buy more Cantillon in the near future for no other reason then I've yet to try it

3.45/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Over the years I’ve heard much about this breweries beers, and as I never really cared much for Lambics till a year or two ago, it was a real treat to find these at my “Second Home The Papago Brewery”.

A resplendent and nebulous cherry red on the pour, the head diminutive, the lace tenuous, with the nose tart and little else noticed. Sweet and sour start, top cadaverous, finish is quite tart, astringent, vinous, and alum dry aftertaste. Different, for sure, and something I will need to re-sample to determine my true feelings for this beer.

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, looked like a small bottle of wine. The beer is ruby red. looked good except for no head at all. I'd have liked to see some pink froth on top...

The aroma is 100% sour lambic, maybe 98% sour lambic + 2% cherries. I expected more cherry in the smell, but actually I probably prefer it just the way it is. As for the taste, it's completely sour. My face actually puckered up several times through the bottle, it was so intensely acidic. The masochist in me liked it, but only just this once. I couldn't drink this too often, way too bracing.

Drinkability is good for the style, but you absolutely have to like sour beers to even finish the bottle.

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark pink to red with a half finger pink head

smell: sour cherries, hints of sweetness

taste: cherries up front then fade in the back end, sour and very tart

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body, crisp

drinkability: a very nice representation of a kriek wish the cherries didn't fade in the back end.

cheers,

The CPJ

4.53/5  rDev +4.4%

I got this bottle in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

My first sample from this brewery...

It pours from the capped and corked(2007) 12oz bottle a cloudy light red colour with a small head of foam that breaks up quickly to just some spotting with some lacing/

The smell is super sour at first..nothing else hits my nose but after a few more whiffs, I can smell some cherry presence. Good nose for me, yeah.

The taste starts off the same as the smell..sour to the nth degree, especially up front. More sips in and the cherries, be they black or be they red, add a bit of sweetness to take a small bite out of the tartness, and there's a underling earthiness dealty out by the malt and that works well for my palate. Very well. Towards the finish is where I mostly notice the fruit; not over powering like the Kriek from Lindemans, which I consider more of a fruit beer, but defintely there and adding kust the right flavour to keep this Lambic more true to style.

I think it's still light bodied but very close to medium, the carbonation is lightly but rightly done, and, being a fan of brews that travel into the land of sour, drinkability for me is in the upper stratosphere. This is one tasty and fabulous brew! Thanks again, Joe!!

4.47/5  rDev +3%

750ml bottle, January 2010 bottling

cellphone notes, served slightly cooler than room temperature

appearance: split and served in a new glarus flute - light cherry color, pinkish-white fizzy head that dissipates quickly.

smell: super tart cherry, oak, raspberry balsamic, funky yeast

taste: Cantillon kriek is certainly a game-changer within the style. I've had some really awful belgian krieks before (i'm looking at you lindemans and st louis) but this one clearly goes in the class with drie fonteinen and hanssens. This lambic is sour enough to split your tongue in half, bright cherry/raspberry flavor, light vinegar, oak, funky yeast - all sorts of good.

mouthfeel: high tartness, sour, light bodied

drinkability: good

4.8/5  rDev +10.6%

I got my hands on a 33 cl. bottle. At Cantillon they are serious I tell you - both metallic cap and a cork.

A: It pours ruby red with a surprisingly small light pink head. A bit hazy with some small bubbles - it looks a bit like pink champagne. Lots of sediment in the bottle.

S: Obvious Brettanomyces (yeast), fruity notes, mostly grapefruit but strangly enough I can't smell any cherries. A very complex smell, both dry and fresh.

T: Very refreshing. The sour cherries dominates over all other flavours. But there is some dryness, some raspberries in this very complex beer. It has a very faint taste that reminds me of the smell from fired black-powder!?

M: A very long, dry and a bit sour aftertaste - one of the most dry aftertaste I ever had. The body is medium and the carbonation is really nice.

D: This is a very nice beer, the best Kriek I ever had. If you're not into this kind of beer you should probably skip this one - cause it is very much Lambic. Complex!!!

3.94/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Note: the "Bio" in this variant is the European Union designation for certified organic.

Bottled Mar 2013, opened Nov 2013.

A - Stunning, bright, crystal clear raspberry body. Bright pink head with ok retention and low lace.

S - Fresh strawberries, sweet kiwi, peach, black cherry jello.

T - Super dry, sour black cherries. Honey and yeast center. Bitter, tanniny pit finish.

M - Acidic, dry, medium frame. Nice carbonation.

O - Clean profile with a soft, simple, well balanced complexity.

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

375mL bottle poured into large wine glass

Pours an electric pink-cherry color with a nice crop of bubbly pink head. One-of-a-kind appearance with a nice retention and some spotty film.

Super intense funk in the nose with yeast, horse blanket, grass and straw. Pleasant cherry and dark fruit with an overwhelming sourness. Definitely formidable in its initial presence.

Starkly sour up front with waves of biting cherry and dark fruit. Cherry skin, burnt sugar and berries come through. Classic fruit lambic flavor throughout, finishing with tons of sour cherry.

Medium body, higher carbonation, chewy and dry on the tongue. This is fantastically worth the money and completely ahead of the pack when it comes to regular storm prep.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Big thanks to Alex for giving us this 2005 bottle... Poured a dark ruby grapefruit juice with a big pink head, good retention and lacing... The aroma is great strong horse blanket, musky, not a lot of depth but the horse is outstanding... The taste is equally awesome with tons of horse. This is very tart couldn't crush the whole bottle quickly, but I'd sip on this for a couple hours just loving love.

Age this a couple years but this is well worth owning, drinking, and cellaring.

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

375ml bottle poured into my Supra tumbler, Cantillon Kriek 100% lambic is murky brownish magenta with a loud, spritzy violet head that quickly settles and leaves no lace but maintains lazy effervescence.

Smell is tart cherries and funky, with some acetic acid creeping in as it opens. Extremely complex.

Taste is nice cherry fruit blasted by extremely tart, acidic lambic, wow. After I get used to the sourness, I can enjoy the cherry flavor, which is natural and not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is very acidic, major pucker, dry, with a light body.

Drinkability is limited by the strength of the acidity, but make no mistake, this is an excellent Oude Kriek!! I love the pucker, and the fruit is elegantly balanced.

4.43/5  rDev +2.1%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a New Belgium Globe glass.
Bottled 21 October 2008, Serve at 50-55°F

Instead of an intervention, Beerwolf77 is supporting my uncontrollable ticking addiction (not-to-mention sour addiction) for another night, yet again. Thanks Todd, that's what friends are for!

A - Gorgeous hazy ruby-red beer capped by a faint pink head. Low retention from the potent acidity leaves pinches of lace left on the glass, but not much.

S - That's a unique blend of very funky lambic and smooth, delicious cherries. Out-doors-y, woody, super funky with crazy yeast going on and tart cherries.

T - Strong wild yeast floods the mouth with loads of unique funk! Barnyard and horse-blanket with an underlying cherry tartness.

M - Tart and sour as all hell! Biting, killer sourness makes my jowls cringe and teeth hurt. Man, I love that. This one is so acidic it makes your stomach churn. Those Belgians must have cast-iron innards.

O - I'd have, have, have to share this with someone. It's potent as hell with a massive but fantastic wild sourness to it.

[I ended up getting another bottle after trying this and it was bottled in late 2010. The cherry flavor was much too potent and while it was very sour hadn't developed that kick-your-ass sourness this aged one had. I'll get a few more to age for a while. The aged one was far better.]

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%

750 ml corked and capped bottle, bottled on August 28, 2007. Served in a snifter, the beer pours purple/red with no head or lacing at all. Aroma is tart cherries, funk, and yeast. Taste is the same as the aroma, however the taste is stronger than is smells. It has a pretty good tart/sour cherry taste that lingers around for a while. Mouthfeel/body is medium with light carbonation and a dry finish. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and easy to drink (well, if you like the sourness in the beer). I think this is a good overall beer. It's just my second Cantillon beer, and I haven't been disappointed in them yet. I can't wait to try more of their stuff.

2.5/5  rDev -42.4%