Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

3.81/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a hazy, rose/rust color. 1/6 inch head of an off-pink color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of citrus, slight tart malt, hint of sweet malt, earthiness, and a hint of hop. Fits the style of a Lambic - Fruit. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carboantion level. There is also a strong associated tartness. Tastes of citrus, earthiness, tart malt, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of grain. Overall, great aroma and body.

4.03/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottled October 23, 2013.

A - Fizzy bright cherry red with 2 fingers of reddish-white head.

S - Sour cherry, funk, bready sweetness. Slightly unexpected nose.

T - Dry sourness up front that is slightly puckering and is accompanied by a big funk presence. There is defintiely a sour cherry presence but it is not as prominent as I expected or would have liked.

M - Medium body; exceptionally dry. Moderate carbonation.

4.47/5  rDev +3%

2011 vintage. Pours deep cherry red with a fizzy, soapy looking pink head that soon subsides. Minimal slippery lace. Strong nose of powerfully tart cherries; lemony acidity, and a light funky straw barn component. Perhaps a hint of...leather?

Very sour cherry flavor that's bone dry; lots of lemon and acidity; again some musty hay and funk notes. Both sweetness and vinegar aspects are extremely minimal-this is all about in your face sour cherry. Subtler notes of oak, green apple, and more emerge as the beers opens a bit.

Perfect mouthfeel for the style; medium to very slightly light with spritely carbonation. Crisp and puckering. Probably the best kriek I've had although I haven't opened my Lou Pepe yet. Similar in intensity to Hanssen's kriek.

3.83/5  rDev -11.8%

12 oz bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Chicago. Perfect size for two and $7.99 I believe. Bottled in 2006.

Pours a very murky red, cranberry/raspberry juice coloured, fizzy pink head forms, disappears very fast, leaves a few lace spots. Smell is very intense, sharp sour note, very vinegary, intense acidity, nice cherry, oaky, more insane fruity acidity, you can smell this acidity! Taste smacks me good, insane sourness, I thought I had sour beers before this. Oaky cherry, almost saltiness, I find a bit weak on the finish, very acidic, attacks the tongue. Insane. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low-medium carbonation, very harsh, very enjoyable, neat experience. Good thing I have a few more Cantillons kicking around!

4.4/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Brilliant looking scarlet red/orange hue. A nice looking white head fizzles away quickly. A little barnyard on the nose. Sour cherry as well. And horse blanket in a way. The first thing that hits my palete is lactic sourness. This fucker is tart. It's not disagreeable though and I was a little gunshy going into this from what I had heard. I never thought I'd say it, but this beer has some Barnyard and Horse Blanket flavors going on. And they're enjoyable to boot. This beer is so damn acidic. This is the first beer I've had in a while that really made me sit up and take notice. You can tell that a lot of attention and detail went into the crafting of this beverage. Lots of character. Huge citrus notes as well. Some cherry sourness. You wouldn't think a beer like this would be drinkable, but something keeps begging me to take more sips.

I can understand why this may not be everybody's "cup of tea", especially novice beer drinkers, but I think I could acquire a taste for this. Problem is, it'd just be too damn expensive to do so. I'll stick with my Barleywines, Imperial Stouts and IPAs that are more affordable unless I have an opportunity to try other lambic styles form this brewery.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

Cool little pink head pour, thin head. Delicious sour cherry aroma, real fruit in the nose, not fruit juice w/ sugar added. Smell the funk (good funk).

Taste, quite sour, just like I like 'em. Cherry flavor is not thick, nice and spritzy with the sour. Slightly sweet. Not balanced, in a good way. Bitter and acidity might be a problem for the less learned palate, or simply if you're just not into this kind of flavor smacking sour. You get a bit of everything here, good barrel tinge, great sour, great fruit, even with time on it, still tastes fresh, not one dimensional at all.

Mouthfeel, the slightest wood nuance is noticeable. Very dry finish to this. Sour cherry flavor is the best cherry flavor most often.

4.98/5  rDev +14.7%

4.39/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle opened on 4.16.13
Bottled 10 November 2011

A - Pours a bright red with a fizzy light pink head that fades very quickly.

S - Tart, over-ripe raspberries, funky-earhiness.

T - Sweet cherry, funk, raspberry, earthy, very complex and wonderful.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - Fruit, slight funk, complex and lovely to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.75/5  rDev +9.4%

4.77/5  rDev +9.9%

I got my hands on a 33 cl. bottle. At Cantillon they are serious I tell you - both metallic cap and a cork.

A: It pours ruby red with a surprisingly small light pink head. A bit hazy with some small bubbles - it looks a bit like pink champagne. Lots of sediment in the bottle.

S: Obvious Brettanomyces (yeast), fruity notes, mostly grapefruit but strangly enough I can't smell any cherries. A very complex smell, both dry and fresh.

T: Very refreshing. The sour cherries dominates over all other flavours. But there is some dryness, some raspberries in this very complex beer. It has a very faint taste that reminds me of the smell from fired black-powder!?

M: A very long, dry and a bit sour aftertaste - one of the most dry aftertaste I ever had. The body is medium and the carbonation is really nice.

D: This is a very nice beer, the best Kriek I ever had. If you're not into this kind of beer you should probably skip this one - cause it is very much Lambic. Complex!!!

2.5/5  rDev -42.4%

3.94/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Note: the "Bio" in this variant is the European Union designation for certified organic.

Bottled Mar 2013, opened Nov 2013.

A - Stunning, bright, crystal clear raspberry body. Bright pink head with ok retention and low lace.

S - Fresh strawberries, sweet kiwi, peach, black cherry jello.

T - Super dry, sour black cherries. Honey and yeast center. Bitter, tanniny pit finish.

M - Acidic, dry, medium frame. Nice carbonation.

O - Clean profile with a soft, simple, well balanced complexity.

4.27/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful ruby red with a white collar, some clumpy lacing.

Wonderful integration of tartness and cherries. Whiffs of sweet sugar?

Retarted cherries up the wazoo. 6.5 on the Duff27 sour scale. Tastes right at 5%abv.

Medium-high carbonation which suits it well. Medium-low mouthfeel.

Yum yum. One of best lambics I've had. Thanks 4DAloveofSTOUT via Jim C.

4.19/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into tulip 14/7/13 bottled Jan, 2013

A slight haze in a dark ruby red body, lovely color with a large short lived pink foam that leaves no lace, about what I expected

S cheesy funks strong, leafy hops, real cherries, wet wood, jujubes, more funk, faint gym socks, and some cranberries

T even more funk but the cherries are a little stronger too, I'm getting some strawberries I didn't smell along with some dry cereal

M light bodied, a little foamy, tart and sour but its not turning my mouth inside-out, cherries and woody funk linger on the finish

O I was expecting a little more fruit in this relatively fresh lambic but I can live with the heavy funk, other then that it's more or less what I was expecting

I knew sooner or later I'd need to cough up the cash to try this one, its a solid brew and a funk monster but its hard to drop the dough when I could get few great brews for the same price as this single bottle. That being said I'm probably going to buy more Cantillon in the near future for no other reason then I've yet to try it

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This bottle is the 2005 vintage and courtesy of weirdbeer, thanks Joe! It pours a medium bodied cloudy cherry pie red in color with a slightly pink lacing around the glass. The nose is pure funk with barely any fruit at all. You can still tell its cherry but the fruit is no longer fresh and vibrant. The flavors too are pure sourness, funk, bacteria, and acidic. It strips the enamel off my teeth. It's very good and is one agressive drinker. It leaves your mouth desiring more and more cherry. This is a premium Kriek and a great beer to try.

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

On-tap at Leon's Full Service in Atlanta.

Pours a bright red color with a thin and quickly disappearing pink head that settles into a thin ring around the glass and a wispy layer upon swishing the glass.

Smells of tart cherries with just a hint of sweetness and loads of funk.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. After puckering up a bit on the first sip I become acclimated and can pick out flavors like tart cherries, a good deal of funk, very small hints of leafy hops and even smaller hints of assorted berries. The ending is very dry.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing the glass and could have another.

Overall I'm beginning to learn that sours are all about nuance. The flavors aren't overly complex, it's just getting the levels just right that's key. This one hits the mark, well worth a shot.

4.52/5  rDev +4.1%

I got this bottle in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

My first sample from this brewery...

It pours from the capped and corked(2007) 12oz bottle a cloudy light red colour with a small head of foam that breaks up quickly to just some spotting with some lacing/

The smell is super sour at first..nothing else hits my nose but after a few more whiffs, I can smell some cherry presence. Good nose for me, yeah.

The taste starts off the same as the smell..sour to the nth degree, especially up front. More sips in and the cherries, be they black or be they red, add a bit of sweetness to take a small bite out of the tartness, and there's a underling earthiness dealty out by the malt and that works well for my palate. Very well. Towards the finish is where I mostly notice the fruit; not over powering like the Kriek from Lindemans, which I consider more of a fruit beer, but defintely there and adding kust the right flavour to keep this Lambic more true to style.

I think it's still light bodied but very close to medium, the carbonation is lightly but rightly done, and, being a fan of brews that travel into the land of sour, drinkability for me is in the upper stratosphere. This is one tasty and fabulous brew! Thanks again, Joe!!

4.09/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, looked like a small bottle of wine. The beer is ruby red. looked good except for no head at all. I'd have liked to see some pink froth on top...

The aroma is 100% sour lambic, maybe 98% sour lambic + 2% cherries. I expected more cherry in the smell, but actually I probably prefer it just the way it is. As for the taste, it's completely sour. My face actually puckered up several times through the bottle, it was so intensely acidic. The masochist in me liked it, but only just this once. I couldn't drink this too often, way too bracing.

Drinkability is good for the style, but you absolutely have to like sour beers to even finish the bottle.

3.45/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Over the years I’ve heard much about this breweries beers, and as I never really cared much for Lambics till a year or two ago, it was a real treat to find these at my “Second Home The Papago Brewery”.

A resplendent and nebulous cherry red on the pour, the head diminutive, the lace tenuous, with the nose tart and little else noticed. Sweet and sour start, top cadaverous, finish is quite tart, astringent, vinous, and alum dry aftertaste. Different, for sure, and something I will need to re-sample to determine my true feelings for this beer.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon