Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,087 | Reviews: 666
4.15/5  rDev -4.6%

Beautiful 750ml green champagne bottle. Corked and capped.

Big red viscous opaque body with a very fine frothy head of pale pink bubbles. Incredibly krieky, full of fruity looking insanity.

Cherry acidity on the nose. Smells extremely sour, lots of oaky notes as well, very heavy, with underlying hints of vanilla. Very rank. Very extreme. Love it.

Wow, it's even more intense on the palate. A huge puckering sour character, with a residual cherry flavour. The sour character sticks around so long that it ends up like a woody bitterness. Almost like a acetone note, it's that intense. Really intense, extremely, extremely sour - probably the most highly acidic beer I've ever had. The cherry is just an afterthought. Lambic rules the roost here. Mouthfeel is delicately effervescent. Lovely.

This is severe and extreme. A serious lambic, for those who like their lambics sour, raw and crazy. They mean the 100%; this is all lambic all the way. I love it - turn up the volume on these wild beers.

4.1/5  rDev -5.7%

(Served in an inverted pear shaped chalice)

A- This beer has a warm glowing ruby red densely hazy body with a white head of large bubbles that fades to a thin ring of white foam. The beer is a bit too dense to see any carbonation.

S- This beer has a bright smell of wet leaves and musty but bright cherry notes. There is a note of dry prunes and a cola and cheese note which is nice.

T- This beer has a bright tart cherry note with a dry yet jam note to the cherries. The finish has a nice grapefruit tartness after the sip is finished.

M- The light mouthfeel has a thick texture quality in the finish and a light dry pucker that hangs on after each sip.

D- This beer has a very bright tart cherry flavor with a good tartness. I find the flavor bright and bold but it has a nice flavor that is very drinkable. The cherries really come through with the wild yeast qualities, more than some kriek beers that have the wild flavors dominate the cherry notes.

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%

Lambic beers are typically flat, but this bottle of Cantillon Kriek poured with an abundance of pink-tinted froth which, despite consistent and loud crackling (it sounds like bacon hitting a hot pan), fades very little. Without it what's in the glass might easily be mistaken for cranberry juice. It's a beer pretty enough to decorate a little girl's room with.

Kriek, Framboise, Gueuze, Faro - changing the prefix to 'Lambic' doesn't much change its aroma. This smell is sour, vinegar-y, musty and acidic. The only kind of cherries noted in this bouquet are of the festered and fermented variety. (Having an impractically overgrown cherry tree in the backyard I know that scent all too well.)

And yet, rotted fruit and musty vinegar notwithstanding, the beer is ridiculously refreshing, assuming one has a penchant for sourness. Its natural acidity is extravagantly quenching. An almost puckering tartness spreads over the palate like aphids over the canopy of trees, but it's not at all astringent, and the cherries add some sweetness to the mix.

Though a cherry beer, this drinks more like cranberry juice (by which I mean the real stuff - not from concentrate and certainly not "cocktail"). It is lightly bitter and notably sour. Fruity yet not at all in the typical sugary, sweet sense. The ultra-light body and pin-prick carbonation make it a godsend on hot days. How did beer like this ever fall out of style?

Kriek-Lambic is a style that has not much been improved on since its inception, however many centuries ago. The modern, commercial examples that add fruit juices or sugar may appeal to a wider audience but, for my money, there's nothing more appetizing than lemon juice acidity, mildewy oak wood must, and the tartness of wild yeasts and bacterias.

4.38/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Pino at my 22nd birthday. 750ml into my tulip, 2010 vintage.

Poured blood red, with a nice pink head. Great retention, with some substantial density. Nose has some sour cherry, mild chlorophenols and some typical, but somewhat subdued Cantillon funk. Tastes of more sour cherries, akin to an amped up handful of Sour Patch kids. Some oak, really funky and complex. Sour as hell mouthfeel, extremely high pucker-inducing capabilities. Drying and cleaning mouthfeel, a pseudo-palate cleanser, borders on palate shredder. A great lambic, very tasty and appetizing. Gets me pumped to try the Lou Pepe Kriek at some point.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

Must have really gotten a bum bottle the last time when I gave this a 2.5. 2012 bottle was singing with great jammy fruit and moderate funk.

4.35/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle received from ngandhi as part of BIF 12. Thanks for the opportunity. Black foiled cap and cork. Cork noted bottled in 2003.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 1/2" desert rose head above the clear cherry red brew. Head fades quickly down to a layer of bubbles, with minimal to average lacing, both of which are par for the style. Aroma is musky tart cherries. Taste is a bit of malt upfront, quickly shouted down by almost controlled sourness, with cherry tinges coming in later, and closes with extreme dryness on the palate. Mouthfeel and drinkabilty are both good, and this was an enjoyable treat.

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

RB

375 ml capped and corked green champagne bottle picked up at Bottleworks in September for $7... aged in my cellar until tonight. Poured into a crystal champagne flute. I corked this bottle and let it sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes.

Short lasting lite pink head above an absolutely beautiful pink/lite orange brew. Reminds me of a very very pink champagne without all the bubbles.

I honesty don't even know where to begin on the aroma.. I haven't had a proper world class lambic in years. Musky cherries .. a little almond? I think I finally know what "horse blanket" means ... lite leathery whiffs ... Wow.. not even close to some of the Lambic-pops I've had in the last couple of years.

Flavor ... OMG this is awesome ... Now I really know what "horse blanket" means ... Cherries are maybe a little bit in the background, but what do I know? Did this sit in the basement for too long?.. very possibly. Funkadelic with sour (but not acetic) flavors linger forever... again almonds. Huge complexity but you must obviously be fan of sour and something new. Nearly bone dry.. but the lack of sugar really makes everything run like a clock... fairly mouth-drying, but I like ... I like alot... the sourness sorta proactively sucks saliva from my body.

I would never in a million years give a sip of this brew to somebody who didn't know what they were getting into .. I wouldn't want to waste a sip .. That said, I sorta had an idea about lambics, and damn glad I took the time.... Now the damned distributers around Boise need to get these in alot more regularly.

The only reason I decided to try this beer tonight was because I was able to score a 750 bottle of the Cantillon Kriek over the weekend at Erickson's for $10... Fantastic for sure.

4.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Fizzy bright cherry red with 2 fingers of reddish-white head.

S - Sour cherry, funk, bready sweetness. Slightly unexpected nose.

T - Dry sourness up front that is slightly puckering and is accompanied by a big funk presence. A huge fresh and juicy cherry presence takes centre stage and really shines. Magnificent.

M - Medium body; exceptionally dry. Moderate carbonation.

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

2011 vintage. Pours deep cherry red with a fizzy, soapy looking pink head that soon subsides. Minimal slippery lace. Strong nose of powerfully tart cherries; lemony acidity, and a light funky straw barn component. Perhaps a hint of...leather?

Very sour cherry flavor that's bone dry; lots of lemon and acidity; again some musty hay and funk notes. Both sweetness and vinegar aspects are extremely minimal-this is all about in your face sour cherry. Subtler notes of oak, green apple, and more emerge as the beers opens a bit.

Perfect mouthfeel for the style; medium to very slightly light with spritely carbonation. Crisp and puckering. Probably the best kriek I've had although I haven't opened my Lou Pepe yet. Similar in intensity to Hanssen's kriek.

3.94/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Note: the "Bio" in this variant is the European Union designation for certified organic.

Bottled Mar 2013, opened Nov 2013.

A - Stunning, bright, crystal clear raspberry body. Bright pink head with ok retention and low lace.

S - Fresh strawberries, sweet kiwi, peach, black cherry jello.

T - Super dry, sour black cherries. Honey and yeast center. Bitter, tanniny pit finish.

M - Acidic, dry, medium frame. Nice carbonation.

O - Clean profile with a soft, simple, well balanced complexity.

4.45/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This bottle is the 2005 vintage and courtesy of weirdbeer, thanks Joe! It pours a medium bodied cloudy cherry pie red in color with a slightly pink lacing around the glass. The nose is pure funk with barely any fruit at all. You can still tell its cherry but the fruit is no longer fresh and vibrant. The flavors too are pure sourness, funk, bacteria, and acidic. It strips the enamel off my teeth. It's very good and is one agressive drinker. It leaves your mouth desiring more and more cherry. This is a premium Kriek and a great beer to try.

4.27/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful ruby red with a white collar, some clumpy lacing.

Wonderful integration of tartness and cherries. Whiffs of sweet sugar?

Retarted cherries up the wazoo. 6.5 on the Duff27 sour scale. Tastes right at 5%abv.

Medium-high carbonation which suits it well. Medium-low mouthfeel.

Yum yum. One of best lambics I've had. Thanks 4DAloveofSTOUT via Jim C.

3.81/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a hazy, rose/rust color. 1/6 inch head of an off-pink color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of citrus, slight tart malt, hint of sweet malt, earthiness, and a hint of hop. Fits the style of a Lambic - Fruit. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carboantion level. There is also a strong associated tartness. Tastes of citrus, earthiness, tart malt, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of grain. Overall, great aroma and body.

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: poured a reddish brown with fuchsia highlights that had a thin pinkish head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: the aroma is signature cantillon consisting of sour cherries, lemon citric acidicty but also had good musty funk from the oak barrels with brett. There is a touch of underlying vinegar as well.

T: upfront the tart cherries and acdic citrus smack the palate right away with sourness but has nice oaky funk accents with hints of vinegar and very slight apple notes.

M: the beer was light to medium in body with a perfect amount of carbonation which has a slight sweet but fruity, sour, and dry finish.

M: it drank decent due to the powerful sour punch but every sip is so delicious. I can never get enough of cantillon beers.

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

I got my hands on a 33 cl. bottle. At Cantillon they are serious I tell you - both metallic cap and a cork.

A: It pours ruby red with a surprisingly small light pink head. A bit hazy with some small bubbles - it looks a bit like pink champagne. Lots of sediment in the bottle.

S: Obvious Brettanomyces (yeast), fruity notes, mostly grapefruit but strangly enough I can't smell any cherries. A very complex smell, both dry and fresh.

T: Very refreshing. The sour cherries dominates over all other flavours. But there is some dryness, some raspberries in this very complex beer. It has a very faint taste that reminds me of the smell from fired black-powder!?

M: A very long, dry and a bit sour aftertaste - one of the most dry aftertaste I ever had. The body is medium and the carbonation is really nice.

D: This is a very nice beer, the best Kriek I ever had. If you're not into this kind of beer you should probably skip this one - cause it is very much Lambic. Complex!!!

3.83/5  rDev -12%

12 oz bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Chicago. Perfect size for two and $7.99 I believe. Bottled in 2006.

Pours a very murky red, cranberry/raspberry juice coloured, fizzy pink head forms, disappears very fast, leaves a few lace spots. Smell is very intense, sharp sour note, very vinegary, intense acidity, nice cherry, oaky, more insane fruity acidity, you can smell this acidity! Taste smacks me good, insane sourness, I thought I had sour beers before this. Oaky cherry, almost saltiness, I find a bit weak on the finish, very acidic, attacks the tongue. Insane. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low-medium carbonation, very harsh, very enjoyable, neat experience. Good thing I have a few more Cantillons kicking around!

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Brilliant looking scarlet red/orange hue. A nice looking white head fizzles away quickly. A little barnyard on the nose. Sour cherry as well. And horse blanket in a way. The first thing that hits my palete is lactic sourness. This fucker is tart. It's not disagreeable though and I was a little gunshy going into this from what I had heard. I never thought I'd say it, but this beer has some Barnyard and Horse Blanket flavors going on. And they're enjoyable to boot. This beer is so damn acidic. This is the first beer I've had in a while that really made me sit up and take notice. You can tell that a lot of attention and detail went into the crafting of this beverage. Lots of character. Huge citrus notes as well. Some cherry sourness. You wouldn't think a beer like this would be drinkable, but something keeps begging me to take more sips.

I can understand why this may not be everybody's "cup of tea", especially novice beer drinkers, but I think I could acquire a taste for this. Problem is, it'd just be too damn expensive to do so. I'll stick with my Barleywines, Imperial Stouts and IPAs that are more affordable unless I have an opportunity to try other lambic styles form this brewery.

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

Cool little pink head pour, thin head. Delicious sour cherry aroma, real fruit in the nose, not fruit juice w/ sugar added. Smell the funk (good funk).

Taste, quite sour, just like I like 'em. Cherry flavor is not thick, nice and spritzy with the sour. Slightly sweet. Not balanced, in a good way. Bitter and acidity might be a problem for the less learned palate, or simply if you're just not into this kind of flavor smacking sour. You get a bit of everything here, good barrel tinge, great sour, great fruit, even with time on it, still tastes fresh, not one dimensional at all.

Mouthfeel, the slightest wood nuance is noticeable. Very dry finish to this. Sour cherry flavor is the best cherry flavor most often.

4.39/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle opened on 4.16.13
Bottled 10 November 2011

A - Pours a bright red with a fizzy light pink head that fades very quickly.

S - Tart, over-ripe raspberries, funky-earhiness.

T - Sweet cherry, funk, raspberry, earthy, very complex and wonderful.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - Fruit, slight funk, complex and lovely to drink.

4.52/5  rDev +3.9%

I got this bottle in a trade with joe1510. Thanks Joe!

My first sample from this brewery...

It pours from the capped and corked(2007) 12oz bottle a cloudy light red colour with a small head of foam that breaks up quickly to just some spotting with some lacing/

The smell is super sour at first..nothing else hits my nose but after a few more whiffs, I can smell some cherry presence. Good nose for me, yeah.

The taste starts off the same as the smell..sour to the nth degree, especially up front. More sips in and the cherries, be they black or be they red, add a bit of sweetness to take a small bite out of the tartness, and there's a underling earthiness dealty out by the malt and that works well for my palate. Very well. Towards the finish is where I mostly notice the fruit; not over powering like the Kriek from Lindemans, which I consider more of a fruit beer, but defintely there and adding kust the right flavour to keep this Lambic more true to style.

I think it's still light bodied but very close to medium, the carbonation is lightly but rightly done, and, being a fan of brews that travel into the land of sour, drinkability for me is in the upper stratosphere. This is one tasty and fabulous brew! Thanks again, Joe!!

4.12/5  rDev -5.3%

2001 vintage
750ml bottle

Another old vintage Cantillon I was fortunate enough to taste at a small beer gathering. Pours a hazy reddish color. The aroma is oak and cherries with a bit of sour funk. Very pleasant aroma for sure! The taste is sour with oak and cherries with a dry finish. Another great lambic from Cantillon, those guys who brew this stuff definitely know what they are doing, it is definitely an art form.

4.19/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into tulip 14/7/13 bottled Jan, 2013

A slight haze in a dark ruby red body, lovely color with a large short lived pink foam that leaves no lace, about what I expected

S cheesy funks strong, leafy hops, real cherries, wet wood, jujubes, more funk, faint gym socks, and some cranberries

T even more funk but the cherries are a little stronger too, I'm getting some strawberries I didn't smell along with some dry cereal

M light bodied, a little foamy, tart and sour but its not turning my mouth inside-out, cherries and woody funk linger on the finish

O I was expecting a little more fruit in this relatively fresh lambic but I can live with the heavy funk, other then that it's more or less what I was expecting

I knew sooner or later I'd need to cough up the cash to try this one, its a solid brew and a funk monster but its hard to drop the dough when I could get few great brews for the same price as this single bottle. That being said I'm probably going to buy more Cantillon in the near future for no other reason then I've yet to try it

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

On-tap at Leon's Full Service in Atlanta.

Pours a bright red color with a thin and quickly disappearing pink head that settles into a thin ring around the glass and a wispy layer upon swishing the glass.

Smells of tart cherries with just a hint of sweetness and loads of funk.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. After puckering up a bit on the first sip I become acclimated and can pick out flavors like tart cherries, a good deal of funk, very small hints of leafy hops and even smaller hints of assorted berries. The ending is very dry.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing the glass and could have another.

Overall I'm beginning to learn that sours are all about nuance. The flavors aren't overly complex, it's just getting the levels just right that's key. This one hits the mark, well worth a shot.

4.09/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, looked like a small bottle of wine. The beer is ruby red. looked good except for no head at all. I'd have liked to see some pink froth on top...

The aroma is 100% sour lambic, maybe 98% sour lambic + 2% cherries. I expected more cherry in the smell, but actually I probably prefer it just the way it is. As for the taste, it's completely sour. My face actually puckered up several times through the bottle, it was so intensely acidic. The masochist in me liked it, but only just this once. I couldn't drink this too often, way too bracing.

Drinkability is good for the style, but you absolutely have to like sour beers to even finish the bottle.

4.27/5  rDev -1.8%

750 ml corked and capped bottle, bottled on August 28, 2007. Served in a snifter, the beer pours purple/red with no head or lacing at all. Aroma is tart cherries, funk, and yeast. Taste is the same as the aroma, however the taste is stronger than is smells. It has a pretty good tart/sour cherry taste that lingers around for a while. Mouthfeel/body is medium with light carbonation and a dry finish. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and easy to drink (well, if you like the sourness in the beer). I think this is a good overall beer. It's just my second Cantillon beer, and I haven't been disappointed in them yet. I can't wait to try more of their stuff.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon