1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,441 | Reviews: 617 | Show All Ratings:
SPThirtyThree

Colorado

2.78/5  rDev -35.3%

A: Cloudy reddish brown. Pours a finger of slightly pink head.

S: Funky sweaty lambic sour. Very vinegar-like nose. Slight cherry, but with a goaty acid smell.

T: Dry, puckering and bitter. This one stings the saliva glands under the tongue. Slightly salty towards the end, but it's hard to get over the mouth pucker this beer causes.

M: Can I say "puckering" three times in one review? Fairly high carbonation, too, but everything takes a back seat to the sour here.

D: Low.

I thought this beer was very similar to the New Belgium Lips of Faith Kriek...which was another beer that was too sour for me.

01-13-2010 22:14:11 | More by SPThirtyThree
sublimesipping

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

this beer is sour, no souououoouououuoouour! Ordered for a late afternoon meditative sesssion, nad this one does the job. the color is a wonderful burgandy, ruby red. the smell reminds one of earthy fields in the late fall(or early spring). Very little head or lacing which may be standard for this beer, I do not know. The taste is one of country lanes, essences of pastoral lanes and cherrys grwoing wild in foreign lands. Musty almost hay aroma, tast and aftertaste. A beer for the discerning, sophisticated and/or beer afficaiando of thsi style. A challenging but enjoyable experience. A thesis type beer.

04-17-2004 03:15:51 | More by sublimesipping
geryeb624

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into DFH Signature Glass. Big thanks to Kala1073!

A- Pours a cloudy cherry right with wisps of white foam that dissipates quickly. Lots of bubble around the side of the glass and rising to the surface.

S- Very fragrant stuff. I can smell it 4 feet in front of me. Some tart cherries come through in the nose, but mostly huge funk aromas. Some barnyard aromas and sour, funky yeast dominate.

T- Some tart cherry up front with a sour punch in the face following. Very funky lambic flavor with big sourness. Finishes dry with a slight metallic hint.

M- Very good. Thin, but smooth, with spritzy carbonation.

D- I'm torn here, because I like it an could drink a fair amount, but at the same time, it's intense. For the style, pretty damn drinkable.

This is a fine fruit lambic, prefer this to the Hanssen's Oude Kriek I recently had. Very sour, but delicious.

09-19-2010 19:26:51 | More by geryeb624
gregc

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle...

Pours a hazy red with almost no carbonation...

Smell is oak, sour fruits - sour cherries, unripe raspberries, horse blanket, a nice musty basement like smell.

The flavor of this beer is nice...its not as intense as some of cantillons other beers. Flavors of sour cherries, raspberries from the bush that have been picked to early, musty basement...wonderful and moderately tart, not over the top.

Nice mouth feel, really not a lot of carbonation, very nice drink ability.

12-10-2008 01:28:21 | More by gregc
WOTO97

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Wow, this beer is a real onslaught to the senses. Pours a murky cherry with a fluffy pink head and nominal lacing. The nose here is incredible. Lots of funk. Huge horse blanket and barn floor qualities. The big cherry and tartness qualities come through but the funk is HUGE. The cherries play a much larger role on the palate with the tartness coming through on the front and lingering in the finish. The funk is definitely there but nowhere near as pronounced as on the nose. Split a bottle with a friend, which is probably just enough. The first glass is ridiculous.

08-02-2010 17:07:10 | More by WOTO97
muletrane

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Bruery tulip. Bottled April 2011.

A: Beautiful dark red color with 2 fingers of bubbly pink head that dissapates quickly but never fully leaves.

S: Very funky with a tart cherry aroma in the background. Very bold all around.

T: Sour cherry throughout with a nice funky yeasty finish. Just a beautifully balanced brew! Nice long lasting tart finish.

M: Soft, bubbly, prickly mouthfeel. High carbonation with a medium body. Very nice!

This my first time trying a Cantillon beer and I'm not disappointed. Just a wonderful well balanced beer.

10-30-2011 21:03:31 | More by muletrane
NYCWheatFanSC

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

12 oz's bottled in 2008

A - Hazy muave color, pours with no head to speak of.

S - The tart sour funk fills the room as soon as the cork is popped. Never thought I'd use this word, but horseblanket it its!

T - Very tart citrus, with a hint of cherry in the back. Starts off with a bit of sweetness but finishes very dry. As it warms some more prominent vinegar characteristics express themselves, but never to the point of being overwhelming or unpleasant. Even a hint of saltiness.

M - Very light and thin, properly carbonated

D - A great regular sour, but perhaps a bit expensive - but then again it is an import, and a classic at that.

01-04-2010 00:45:53 | More by NYCWheatFanSC
gnoff

Sweden

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Tried it on draught at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden, in November 2005.

Poured a deep red color, with a pink head.
Very sour scent and flavor, typical of the Cantillon beers.
This is what a kriek from a lambic really should taste like.

It's not at all sweet or almondy like some kriek, prepare for a very sour experience.

05-08-2006 13:03:34 | More by gnoff
atremains

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

Enjoying this courtesy of Cbutova as his 50th review. Drank it mildly chilled and let it breathe for 30 minutes. Pours a very carbonated fizzy pinkish red with a 1 finger head that dissipates instantaneously. The lower half of the flute glass is clad in carbonated bubbles. Smell is very funky, tart sourness and just straight up funk. Big sour citrus taste, cherries; not for the weak at heart. Nice spiky carbonated mouthfeel. I'm not such a big fan of this much sour in one sitting but it is a nice refresher every once in a while.

08-23-2009 07:26:56 | More by atremains
GuinnessAtRogerWilco

4.49/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml corked bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

AP: Dark purple/red colour, but when held directly in front of the light it's shade is a cross between strawberry and pomegranate. Started with a 1.5" fluffy light pink head that was bubbling thick foam which settled down to 1/8" with light lacing on the sides.
AR: A little ACV, a lot of Belgian barnyard funk, plentiful tart/sour cherries, musty damp wood, grape and apple skins. Beautiful mixture of aromas here.
T: Nice clean crisp flavours of apple cider, sour/tart cherries, grape skins, musty oak, barnyard funky yeast, green apple skins. They all blend harmoniously together in great balance.
M: Mild carbonation, acidity on the tongue is just about right, crisp and leaning towards dry despite the best efforts of the cherries, clean lip smacking cleansing finish.
OV: I love Lambics, Sours and Wild Ales and this is a superb offering. The flavours were in near perfect balance with each other, nothing dominating. Nothing really complex about this brew, but when it's so well crafted like this it doesn't need to be. Just delicious and rewarding, a true treat.

10-03-2013 05:56:41 | More by GuinnessAtRogerWilco
schmoopsbeer

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Chilled bottle poured into tulip
2010 vinatge
375 ml bottle

Color: Hazy, but yet a vibrant and deep reddish/pink. A nickle thick white head appears after the pour and this beer leaves behind minimal lacing/retention.

Nose: Big time sour cherries followed by that unique Cantillon funk. A nice oak profile rises from the glass along with all those barnyard smells associated with Belgian sours.

Palate: Sour, fruity, balanced, and complex. This beer is extremely drinkable for how funky and tart it can be. Cherries invade your mouth followed by some woody textures and dryness. The abv is this beer is not evident at all making the mouthfeel incredible and full if taste.

Finish: Dry and sour. Cherries abound and the complexity of this beer is superb on the back end. Truly an amazing fruit lambic/

Rating: 94/100

04-29-2012 05:07:08 | More by schmoopsbeer
fdig23

4.61/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From the bottle.

Appearance: the best looking beer I've seen to date. Incredible pale pink color with a small off-white head with a pinkish tint.

Nose: obvious sour cherries, but much lighter and more fragrant than the typical black cherry aroma. Almost a mustardy sour note, but it works with the cherry. Baking spices are evident: cinnamon, clove, nutmeg. Way more than just a bit of cherry and a bit of funk. All comes together in a really intoxicating aroma.

Taste: Tart cherry and lemon zest up front melds into a funky barnyard and hay bale middle. As it finishes the sourness fades away and there's a sweet cherry pie note when the baking spices hit. Really quite a unique and incredible taste.

Mouthfeel: Nice full carbonation but its a bit coarse. Body is nice and light though, which perfectly conveys the flavors.

Overall: Really enjoyed this. Won't hesitate to re-purchase if I see it again. It was brought to a tasting and was easily the most enjoyed beer among the tasters (not big beer geek types). One of my favorites.

03-28-2013 22:38:26 | More by fdig23
Ljunkan

Sweden

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Nice red color (as with most krieks...). The head is quite small though, and it's dying.

The smell is very... lambic-like. Lot's of acidity-like aromas in there. Some sour cherries. Smells like you now this is gonna be something extra ordinary in the world of lambic!

The taste is extremely amazing. It's so tart, sour, acid... whatever you like. Lot's of sour cherries in there, very complex with notes of bitter cherry stones. The end is very dry. Fantastic.

The best kriek I've tried!

09-20-2008 07:42:52 | More by Ljunkan
ScreamForMe

Washington

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Bottled 2/08

Being new to the sour genre, this was the last of 3 "entry" level sours my local beer store owner recommended to me. He told me this would be the most sour of the three for a beginner.

Love the color as this poured into my tulip. Cherries, wood among the smells.

Taste is basically what I smelled. Sour of course but in a drinkable way IMO.

I enjoyed it!

03-19-2009 01:06:15 | More by ScreamForMe
geetlord

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

this beer poured a deep red color with a fairly small short lived head. The smell was sweet and carried strong overtones of yeast and cherries. The flavor began almost unbearably sour however over the course of the bottle the flavor grew on me and this sourness diminished a lot. The flavor was full of cherries and cherry skins giving it a mildly bitter finish. also in the flavor were hints of apple and pear juice. Overall it was too sour for me to easily drink, however the flavor was very full and complex.

10-06-2007 20:19:58 | More by geetlord
krberg

Oregon

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

2K2

Cloudy reddish brown - This is no Lindemans. Pink head with what could be little bits of cherries in it. I'm drooling in anticipation.

Smells like the real thing. Sour as hell with big cherry pie aromas. Almost sour enough to bring tears to my eye.

Good Lord is this sour! Nice cherry undertones. Almost sweet. I can't find any hops, just sour that seems to bounce back and forth between my cheeks. There is a certain grassiness in the finish. I think that's why Lambic lovers enjoy it so much - the liveliness and the subtleties.

It feels like champagne darting around my mouth. Goes down smooth. One of the very few beers I have been able to hold in my mouth to examine all its subtle qualities.

While I love lambics, I don't think I could drink a whole lot of this. Unfortunately, my LBS only had 750s and I don't think I'll be left wanting more tonight.

This is my third Cantillon and I am not let down at all. My only complaint is the $13 price tag. I think I may try this as the acid in a salad dressing this summer.

03-05-2004 03:08:32 | More by krberg
smokeypeat

Maryland

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Got a 2012 375ml bottle and decided to have it fresh for a change.

Pours a light ruby red color into the glass with a soft pink foamy head.

Smell on this is great. The Cantillon's I've had in the past have been aged at least 18months and I'm glad I'm having this fresh. Getting a lot more cherry than I expected mixed with a much lighter barnyard funk than I expected. A faint musky smell is always there but the fruit is front and center.

Wow, taste on this is great. It's like an awesome tart, tart, tart cherry pie. More sweetness than I expected. Sour, but not warhead sour by any means. Just can't get over how fruit forward this is.

Mouthfeel is great for the style. Closer to heavily carbed, but I like it for sours. Quick finish leaves you wanting more right away, so you are forced to pace yourself. It would be easy to go through 12oz quick.

Overall I'm really glad I finally tried a Cantillon "fresh". Much different experience than aged ones that get "sour dominant". I can't believe there was a time I didn't like sours. If you are looking to get into sours seek out a bottle of this and have it as fresh as possible.

11-02-2012 22:36:09 | More by smokeypeat
MarkBlackout

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Bought a 12oz. bottle of this out of deference (in part) to Jason, co-creator of this site which we hold so dear. I was looking for a reasonable, but representative lambic. I followed the bottle's instructions and allowed this beer to breathe for about 30 minutes before pouring. It seemed to cut down on the strange funk emitting from the bottle (so THAT's horse blanket!). Not that I was entirely put off..
Pours nicely, without much head but boasting a bright CHERRY color, irrespective of fermentation.
The smell is strange, to be sure, but if I have any beef w/ it, it's only that it hides the wonderful qualities within:
Now to taste this 'Kriek'...
Oh god that's interesting. I'm not at all put off by the sourness of this brew, and it definitely has a 'natural' quality to the fermentation. It is as if the sourness has entirely taken the place of the sweet flavors in the cherries. Fantastic. It shows off (throws off?) oaky, funky flavors that I really like.
Others could dissect this beer's nuances better, but I'm content to wholeheartedly recommend it to any extreme beer lover. Carbonation was appropriately low. Drinkability is earth-shattering; who could expect that out of such a full-flavored beer?
I rated accordingly.

06-27-2005 17:46:26 | More by MarkBlackout
iasanlee

Nebraska

750ml

Pours a cloudy raspberry red. Very small millimeter of white head, but no head retention of any sort.

Dominating acidic sour nose with a solid cherry notes. Funked out barnyard, and the mildest hints of wheat.

Sour acid bites the tongue. Super tart Cherry notes accompanied by more funk. Pediococcus gone ‏wild, and no diacetyl:) Finish is dry and tart. Light body with virtually no carbonation.

This beer is the shizit. The complexity of the critters are world class, and of the quality I have found from VERY few breweries. God bless Cantillon.

10-30-2008 04:43:21 | More by iasanlee
leakyfaucet12

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

a- This beer is amazing looking. The dark pink body with light pink head is really apetizing looking.

s- This beer smells like straight vinegar. I cant get anything much else from it.

t-tons of sour vinegar flavor. Almost like unripe cherries, there is some fruits specifically cherries that comes through.

m- light carbonation yet thick for a lambic. I am not a fan of thick lambics because they remind me of syrup

d- This one scares me to drink alot because i am afraid I could get gut rot or something

01-16-2011 23:34:11 | More by leakyfaucet12
gueuzer

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

One of my all time favorite beers. Didn't realize the bottle I picked up was from 3/2008 until I got home. so 2.5 yrs old at this time. I always try to drink fruit lambics as fresh as possible so this will be a new for me. My ratings reflect my overall opinion of the beer, not this particular sampling.

App- Ruby red with minimal white lacing. Time as faded this as it's is usually more vibrant.

Sm- Smell continues to be overwhelming tart cherries. Thought that hte age woudl bring more funk out in this, but it has not been able to ovewhelm the fruit still. There is some distant mustiness in there.

Ta- Amazing lactic sourness you expect form cantillon. Extremely dry. While the cherry flavor has matured it is still there. Just doesn't taste quite as fresh. Has changed a bit into a floral rosey flavor Some medicinal phenols but very minimal.

MF- Just enough carbonation to accentuate the lactic. Fairly thin body.

Dr- The acidty pays so well with the fruit I could drink a few glasses of this.

This is the beer I judge all other krieks from.

09-07-2010 21:39:36 | More by gueuzer
jenitivecase

Kansas

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Strawberry Kool-Aid red, with a fizzy pink head that dissipates quickly. Slightly cloudy. No visible carbonation.

S: Pungent tart cherry smell, with lots of funkiness (kind of tuna-y, lol). Hints of sweeter fruits like raspberry, but mostly a strong, sour cherry smell.

T: Holy crap, sour. Really, really sour - reminiscent of those Warheads candies of my adolescence. After getting my palate (sort of) adapted to dealing with this level of sourness in a beer, I'm able to pick up a pretty strong salty overtone, as well as the actual tangy cherry taste, which leaves a sweet aftertaste. This is pretty overwhelming on first sip, though. The more I drink, the more I like it, but this being my first Cantillon, it's taking some getting used to.

M: Good, especially for a lambic. Nice and refreshing, with a prickle of carbonation as it goes down. Definitely none of the cloying sweetness some other lambics have.

D: Now that I'm used to it, I could drink this all day. It's definitely serving me well as a pre-class beer this summer afternoon.

I'm looking forward to trying some other Cantillon offerings. It's definitely a unique taste that I think probably requires some further experience to be really appreciated.

07-07-2008 13:27:36 | More by jenitivecase
hansgruber

Indiana

375 bottled 9.09.08 served into a Cantillon taster glass

Small one finger head
Light orange-red color
Swirling yields some carbonation, otherwise nothing really visible.

Nose is funky, fruity, and vinous.
Doesn't smell sour.
Musty with a damp wood smell.

Mouth puckering sour with the cherries in there too
Nice acidity balanced by the cherries

Enjoyed the beer and think it's one of the most sour beers I've drank.

07-04-2010 02:27:05 | More by hansgruber
DrewZ926

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottled April 2010

A- Pours a beautiful garnet/grapefruit body with a light pink head that fizzles quickly. Lively carbonation (cork shot out and nailed my chandelier).

S- Extremely complex. Right off the bat, picking up some tart, acidic, sour cherry. Followed by the perfect about of funk/earthiness. Swirls reveal sweeter cherry notes and oak. Also picking up some red wine/tannin.

T- Starts sweet, cherry and lemon zest upfront. Transitions to a more acidic, dry funky cherry taste. Finishes with just the perfect level of tart/sour on the tongue.

M- Again, active carbonation, but not too overbearing. Works with the tartness of the cherries, not against it. Not nearly too sweet, which is a common shortcoming of many beers similar to Cantillon Kriek. The dry body and finish is superb.

D- At 5% abv this beer is extremely sessionable. Quite refreshing too, would be great on a warm summer day. Paired great with mussels in white wine/garlic and oil.

01-06-2011 01:50:37 | More by DrewZ926
rmalinowski4

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle dated nov. 18, 2010
Poured into a chalice

Pours a deep cherry red with two fingers of pink head. Head recedes quickly and settles with a small crown with slight lacing.

Smell is cherries and sour funk. The funk smell is well balanced with the sweet cherry smell, not as overwhelming as I thought it would be.

The taste is sour cherry, much like sour patch kids. The cherry flavor is excellent, not too sweet and not too tart. The sour is not too overwhelming, very balanced. This is only my third or fourth sour, and if they all taste like this, I'm hooked.

The mouthfeel is typical of the style, high carbonation and light body. Drinks more like champagne or carbonated fruit juice. Very refreshing.

Overall, I am really enjoying this beer. It is sour and a little funky, but it tastes great. I will definitely seek this out again.

04-25-2011 01:10:20 | More by rmalinowski4