Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 680 | Hads: 2,191
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Celebrating Baseball Opening day with this...

Pours a nice pink cranberry color, head quickly dissipates. Smell is cherries and some sour yeast. Got some serious action going on in the taste...cheeries and the tartness abounds. The mouthfeel is highly carbonated and a total pucker fest. Great beer!

4.45/5  rDev +5%

Poured into a tulip glass...

One thing I've learned in my beer journey is that the more beers you drink, the more you come to expect. For example, krieks have a color that one comes to expect - deep red, with a strawberry-colored head. This beer has just exactly that.

On to the smell test, where krieks are expected to possess a cherry nose. This is where there are some distinctions. I've had krieks that smell of sweet cherries, I've had krieks that smell of sour cherries, and variations in between. This particular one smells of sour cherries, with a champagne nose as well.

And now, for the taste, which I'm hoping lives up to the sour cherry lambic tradition - ahh, yeah... it made me pucker, and I mean that in a good way. It reminds me of champagne with sour cherries, and I defy you to tell me that this isn't one of the most delightful lambics you can taste. This beer is no joke.

The mouthfeel is good, not outstanding - light body, good carbonation, dry finish, sour cherry aftertaste. Exceeded my expectations.

To drinkability - very good, but make sure to have plenty of dark chocolate on hand to complement the sour cherry flavor.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into a Riedel tulip. The liquid is a cloudy bright pink with lots of bubbles rising through it. The pour kicks up a generous thick light pink head that fades to a thin cap after a few minutes and leaves almost no lace.

Aroma is mouth-puckeringly tart balanced by some modestly sweet fruit. Honestly, I wouldn't think cherries of the bat if I didn't already know there were cherries in it. There's a moderate amount of barnyard and hay, but as my nose gets adjusted to the tartness it starts to smell increasingly sweet.

Taste follows the nose. Starts off with some tartness that is not as intense as the nose originally suggested. There are some subtle hints of funk, but mostly it's lemony-sour. Mid-palate, the fruitiness comes out, but it's always playing second-fiddle to the tartness. The finish is pretty acidic, and the aftertaste is cherries, along with a weird almost mothball-y taste that isn't entirely pleasant to me, but is interesting.

Mouthfeel is light-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Overall, pretty nice - tastes like complex funky lemonade. Everything's balanced and it has a nice depth of flavor, but this style just isn't quite my cup of tea.

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Interesting shade of red, looks like a hazy grape juice almost. Fizzy carbonation, with no head. Musty aroma full of horse blanket and sour cherries. Also a slight spiciness. Wonderfully funky flavor. Nice pucker from the sourness, with a nice cherry finish. This is very tart and dry. This is the most sour lambic I've had but really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be seeking more of this style out!

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Bottled 3 September 2010. Shared with my wife and father while watching In Bruges. Poured into 2 wine glasses and a brandy snifter. Popped the cap off and a black liquid that smelled like a trash dumpster came seeping out of the cork and ran down the bottle. Strange.

A- Pours a very effervescent cloudy red color into my glass with a pink half finger head that dissipates quickly. Leaves small white bubbles on the glass.

S- Smells of sour cherries, vinegar, funk, lemon. You get some of that musty moist smell like you just walked into a barn full of moist hay with the cobwebs and everything.

T- Absolutely amazing mouth puckering factor here. Lactic acid first, when it dies down there is an amazing tart sour cherry flavor mixed with oak, some lemon peels. On the back end there is lingering red fruits with a little bit of bitterness, still tart though.

M- Dry and crisp, doesnt appear to have any carbonation in the glass but there is plenty on the tongue.

O- Absolutely fantastic. Glad my local bottle shop has this regularly. My first Cantillon and definitely the best sour beer ive had to date.

4.53/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottled April 2010

A- Pours a beautiful garnet/grapefruit body with a light pink head that fizzles quickly. Lively carbonation (cork shot out and nailed my chandelier).

S- Extremely complex. Right off the bat, picking up some tart, acidic, sour cherry. Followed by the perfect about of funk/earthiness. Swirls reveal sweeter cherry notes and oak. Also picking up some red wine/tannin.

T- Starts sweet, cherry and lemon zest upfront. Transitions to a more acidic, dry funky cherry taste. Finishes with just the perfect level of tart/sour on the tongue.

M- Again, active carbonation, but not too overbearing. Works with the tartness of the cherries, not against it. Not nearly too sweet, which is a common shortcoming of many beers similar to Cantillon Kriek. The dry body and finish is superb.

D- At 5% abv this beer is extremely sessionable. Quite refreshing too, would be great on a warm summer day. Paired great with mussels in white wine/garlic and oil.

4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours light red, slightly cloudy, with a very thin layer of small bubbles. Nose is cherries, quite tart, with a strong Brett earthiness. Flavor is very tart, making me sweat at the temples; more of the Brett barnyard in the background. Feel has low carbonation and a beautiful tart aftertaste. The tartness detracts from the drinkability; sit down and enjoy this one over an hour: the flavor profile will change as it warms and oxidizes.

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a bottle into a wine glass. Vintage 2010

A: Slightly clear with a reddish / pinkish tinge

S: Cantillon funk, cherries, slight vinegar

T: Delicious sour cherries coupled with a funky finish. A bit of vinegar present.

M: Medium-light bodied with plenty of carbonation

O: Great beer, would drink again.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - pours an opaque pinkish purple with a pink head. Some lace. No bubbles.

S - dry cherry, soft leather, mild floral, wood.

T - dry cherry, acetic, wood, slightly salty.

M - light-medium body. Semi-oily and creamy. Mouth watering. Moderately sour.

O - a very good example of a traditional Kriek, but Cascade Kriek is still number one for me.

4.14/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750mL bottle shared with my family members. my portion was poured into a stange.

A - red to pink with a 1cm head. nothing spectacular or out of the ordinary going on here.

S - Holy Hell, this smells rank. sour cherries, oak/vanilla, musty attic and leather, acetic acid, and dog vomit. seriously. dog vomit.

T - as many have said, the taste is nearly ( or IS) puckering at first, but one gets used to it. sour cherries and other berries along with less oak/vanilla than what the nose suggested clash with the musty attic and leather from the Brett. a very vinous, vinegar like quality and a taste that seemed like dog vomit, if I did actually know what dog vomit tasted like. Orange zest, a sherry-like almond flavor and a dry, grassy, earthiness were noticeable upon warming. very complex beer. very sour beer. very good beer.

M - dry and carbonated. just like a lambic.

D - very, very sour. I would say that this beer is only good in small quantities and after that, it just isn't good at all. That is why this rating is low.

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

On my hunt for non-chemically pimped up Kriek beers I ended up with a few good advices after posting on the BA forum. This was one of them.

A: A great blood red color with a pink two finger head.

S: Cherries, marzipan, cloves and some citrus notes.

T: SOUR... and then cherries, almonds, something woody and a slight bitterness.

M: Low carbonation and a dry finish.

D: Because of the sourness it's not a beer that I will drink a lot. Still SO MUCH better than all this Krieks that are nothing more than beer with added cherry juice and artifial sweeteners.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

750 from Oliver's in Albany.

A - a touch redder than strawberry-blonde. no carbonation at all...is that bad?

S - cherry, molasses, a bit of funk.

T - seriously bitter and/or tart. the cherry flavor seems faded; this bottle is almost 4 years old.

M - crisp, highly acidic and palate-cleansing. each sip left me wanting more. not a strong beer as far as ABV is concerned.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark cherry red with huge foamy pink head the quickly dissipates. No lacing. Aroma is funk, oak, leather, cherries, and vinegar. Taste is tart cherry skins with lots of earth and funk and some vinegar. Mouth feel is light to medium. Very clean with dry oak finish. Cantillon doesn't disappoint with this one.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle purchased for $5.99 on 10-5-7 at Orenco New Seasons.

Corked and crowned. The cork is dry and somewhat flaky, preventing the screw from getting a firm grip. So I ran some water on it and it came out just fine the second time around. The cork states that this was bottled in 2006.

Inviting funky wild yeast aromas waft out of the bottle upon opening. Pours a deep ruby color with a small light pink head that disappears quickly. The aroma provokes my salivary glands to jump into 5th gear. Like all Cantillon's offerings, this beer is alive and vibrant. The aroma is deliciously funky with cherries, yeast and general barnyard mustiness. The first taste is expectedly extremely tart. Just an orgy of sour goodness and happy taste buds. In the aftertaste you really pick up the cherries, pits and all. This is very dry with little to no sweetness. With each sip, the tongue builds up a tolerance for the tartness and is more and more able to perceive all the subtle nuances of this fine lambic. Tough to describe, but just know that there is a lot of depth here. The cherry flavor is equally as well rounded as the sourness and they contribute greatly to one another. The carbonation is light on the tongue and provides a nice bite upon swallowing. Overall, this is an excellent beer that I'm sure I will enjoy many more of as long as it's available.

Probably my favourite beer. Every time I have it, it is just as incredible as the first time around. I greatly prefer this one in 75 cl. bottles but any form is fine for me. Have had this one dozens of times.

Old review from early 2011, first time trying. 2009 vintage bottle@home: about 1 & ½ year old at time of consumption, fairly fresh for this one, nice full red colour with pink head, smells heavily of cherries, tart & funk, oak, hint of rosé wine, taste is restrained at first but quickly turns very sour, very pronounced tart & funk with a sour ending that really lingers on and turns almost acidic in the end, followed by delicious sour cherries, tiny hint of bitterness, absolutely amazing, spectacular even.

Some other notes I have. Tried a 1992 375 ml. bottle courtesy of Martinus @ RBBWG 2013, there were doubts about this beer prior to opening it, which all instantly vanished once we tried this, has kept incredible well, even better integrated than younger bottles, didn’t think that this is possible.

3.67/5  rDev -13.4%

I picked this up during a recent trip to Bloomington with my kids. Love Cantillon's beer and was looking forward to trying what many regard to be the "most sour" of the sours. This was beer number three during a tasting with a group of four of us. It did not disappoint.

Poured into my Stone snifter, I could have convinced myself that I was drinking a V8 or a Bloody Mary when I held it up to the light. A cloudy reddish pink suspension that produced a modest pink-hued head and left no lace throughout the session. Definitely off to a good start.

Let me preface this next rant with a little history - so it has only been the past couple of years or so that I have really started trying a bunch of different sour beers. As I've now had several dozen of them, I've really grown to appreciate the funky barnyardy smell that is associated with many of them. I grew up a on a farm and am always amazed by how much a beer can smell like that combination of must, mold, wet hay, horse piss, sweat, etc. that you'd smell in an old barn...but I like it. Weird for most, but certainly understood by anyone who digs sours. Before this beer warmed up, it literally smelled like a fresh cow-pie...or a toddler's dirty diaper that had spent too much time in the sun. There was a hint of cherry in there as well, but it was significantly overshadowed by the funk. A bit too much for me. This definitely calmed down as the beer warmed up a bit as well.

Judging from the smell, I was fully anticipating not liking the flavor of this beer. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised and actually quite pleased. The first few drinks were not as sour as I expected, but picked up as the beer warmed. Acidic, tart, and sour cherry were the first thoughts that came to mind upon drinking. A mild (but very functional) amount of carbonation and a medium-body aided the experience of the brew, and by the end I realized that I actually quite enjoyed this beer. The cherry flavor is a bit over-powered by the extreme tartness, but gratefully the sour did not cross the line for me. I really did enjoy it. I can't imagine that I have ever reviewed a beer with such a large gap between smell and taste...

Drinkability on this guy takes a hit largely because I'm not quite sure how much the inner-workings of my body could really handle. This is sour, and I'm sure if I'd had much more, I would have felt it...Although I did keep looking for more, long after my portion was gone. I really did enjoy what I had and will certainly buy it again the next time I see it.

Consumed: 6/13/2010

4.75/5  rDev +12%

2003 bottling

the cork is popped, and gas comes rushing out of the bottle. the smell of belgian yeast creeps into the air. poured into a wine glass, a small crisp head forms on top of the bold red liquid, and then vanishes. each sip is like a bite of a cherry pie made from scratch -- sour natural cherries, plenty of yeasty funk, and minuscule amounts of spice to keep things balanced.
rugged on the tongue at first, and then expands into a smooth sweet nectar. this is what natural ingredients taste like.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

2003 bottling.

Appearance is a beautiful ruby red with a small white head that instantly fades into a small ring around the glass. Smell is potently sour and funky. Not just a little mustiness here, but a full-fledged acidic bile smell. I love it. Taste is shockingly sour. Until your tastebuds adjust, all you taste is the face-disfiguring sourness, but then as it warms and you adjust (though it never loses its sharp sourness) you get some up front sweetness from the malt, and the cherry flavor really comes through. Almost tastes like cherries that have gone horribly bad at some point. This is possibly the most acidic drink I have ever had. Its dryness is beyond compare. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, very quenching. Due to its overpowering flavor, this is a sipper, but I could down a whole 750 by myself. Lip smackingly good.

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

A: pink/reddish beer, head that dissipates very quickly
S: brett funk, oak, musty, dampness,
T: corky, oaky, lactic sourness, lemon peel bitterness, tannic, berry fruit, vinegar sour
M: dry finish, but vinegar lingers a bit long

expected a simple and fruity, light kriek, but it has complex flavor.
it is nice, but muddled by various flavors that are going on

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz. poured into tulip

Appearance: Opaque fuchsia with a light pink head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Very tart cherry smells mixed with ammonia and some funkiness, bordering vinegary. There's also some earthy spiciness going on.

Taste: The cherry isn't quite as prominent in the taste as it is the smell but damn is this one sour brew. Lemon and some apple make an appearance as far as other fruits go. The vinegar is there in the sour, but not in a bad way. There's something in the after taste that almost comes off as egg-like....also not a bad thing but I could see it throwing someone off. Otherwise it's hard to detect subtle flavors because of just how sour this beer is, maybe if it was aged longer.

Mouthfeel: Light body and absolutely mouth puckering.

Drinkability: Personally, I could have another but I would assume most would be too overtaken by the onslaught of sourness in this beer.

Overall: I wanted sour and that's what I got. I've just recently started getting into sours and this is one to pick up for sure. It's good and I think I would like it even more if my palate was a little more used to sours.

4.23/5  rDev -0.2%

Brilliant cranberry color. Tart aroma, like cranberry mixed with sour cherries. First sip is not as sour as expected. Not at all dry, a citric flavor is active. More cranberry than cherry. Substantial body to this beer. Little moutpucker in finish. This unsweetened lambic beer does have some residual sweetness deep in it.

3.82/5  rDev -9.9%

pale pink color with a very lightly pink head, good and thick. smell: whew! some cherries but mostly supertart sourness makes me drool. palate is very austere, tart, dry, most puckering thing ever. some fruit. very, very tart. very dry finish. I liked it, but it is definitely at the dry and mouth-puckering end of the spectrum.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My 100th review, so I decided it was time to try my first Cantillon from the cellar. Bottled 18 November 2010. Poured into a New Glarus flute.

A - Pours a beautiful red/burgundy color with a half inch of pink head. Steady streams of bubbles race to the top of the glass.

S - Slightly funkiness and tart cherries dominate the nose. Some mild notes of lemon are also present.

T - Follows the nose with tart cherries and some barnyard funk. Slightly acidic with hints of lemon and vinegar. Some sweet cherry flavors take over after the sourness fades on the finish.

M - Heavily carbonated, thin body. Fairly dry.

O - The tartness is a little overwhelming at first, but after a few sips, it becomes less noticeable as the tongue adjusts. The big cherry flavors mix very well with the sourness. A very enjoyable lambic worthy of being my 100th review!

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle dated nov. 18, 2010
Poured into a chalice

Pours a deep cherry red with two fingers of pink head. Head recedes quickly and settles with a small crown with slight lacing.

Smell is cherries and sour funk. The funk smell is well balanced with the sweet cherry smell, not as overwhelming as I thought it would be.

The taste is sour cherry, much like sour patch kids. The cherry flavor is excellent, not too sweet and not too tart. The sour is not too overwhelming, very balanced. This is only my third or fourth sour, and if they all taste like this, I'm hooked.

The mouthfeel is typical of the style, high carbonation and light body. Drinks more like champagne or carbonated fruit juice. Very refreshing.

Overall, I am really enjoying this beer. It is sour and a little funky, but it tastes great. I will definitely seek this out again.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Had this one last night, split with my girlfriend. It has an amazing aroma and appearance as it's a super carbonated dark red. But from the first taste, it's kind of petrifying. It's definitely the most tart beer I've ever had, and the sourness of it really brings out the intensity of the cherry. It's a really striking beer, and after my face unwrinkled from the first sip I probably laughed for a good minute. It's fun to drink, fun to share, and an awesome blend.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon