Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 664 | Hads: 2,110
3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

I picked this up during a recent trip to Bloomington with my kids. Love Cantillon's beer and was looking forward to trying what many regard to be the "most sour" of the sours. This was beer number three during a tasting with a group of four of us. It did not disappoint.

Poured into my Stone snifter, I could have convinced myself that I was drinking a V8 or a Bloody Mary when I held it up to the light. A cloudy reddish pink suspension that produced a modest pink-hued head and left no lace throughout the session. Definitely off to a good start.

Let me preface this next rant with a little history - so it has only been the past couple of years or so that I have really started trying a bunch of different sour beers. As I've now had several dozen of them, I've really grown to appreciate the funky barnyardy smell that is associated with many of them. I grew up a on a farm and am always amazed by how much a beer can smell like that combination of must, mold, wet hay, horse piss, sweat, etc. that you'd smell in an old barn...but I like it. Weird for most, but certainly understood by anyone who digs sours. Before this beer warmed up, it literally smelled like a fresh cow-pie...or a toddler's dirty diaper that had spent too much time in the sun. There was a hint of cherry in there as well, but it was significantly overshadowed by the funk. A bit too much for me. This definitely calmed down as the beer warmed up a bit as well.

Judging from the smell, I was fully anticipating not liking the flavor of this beer. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised and actually quite pleased. The first few drinks were not as sour as I expected, but picked up as the beer warmed. Acidic, tart, and sour cherry were the first thoughts that came to mind upon drinking. A mild (but very functional) amount of carbonation and a medium-body aided the experience of the brew, and by the end I realized that I actually quite enjoyed this beer. The cherry flavor is a bit over-powered by the extreme tartness, but gratefully the sour did not cross the line for me. I really did enjoy it. I can't imagine that I have ever reviewed a beer with such a large gap between smell and taste...

Drinkability on this guy takes a hit largely because I'm not quite sure how much the inner-workings of my body could really handle. This is sour, and I'm sure if I'd had much more, I would have felt it...Although I did keep looking for more, long after my portion was gone. I really did enjoy what I had and will certainly buy it again the next time I see it.

Consumed: 6/13/2010 (2,561 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

2003 bottling

the cork is popped, and gas comes rushing out of the bottle. the smell of belgian yeast creeps into the air. poured into a wine glass, a small crisp head forms on top of the bold red liquid, and then vanishes. each sip is like a bite of a cherry pie made from scratch -- sour natural cherries, plenty of yeasty funk, and minuscule amounts of spice to keep things balanced.
rugged on the tongue at first, and then expands into a smooth sweet nectar. this is what natural ingredients taste like. (512 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottled April 2010

A- Pours a beautiful garnet/grapefruit body with a light pink head that fizzles quickly. Lively carbonation (cork shot out and nailed my chandelier).

S- Extremely complex. Right off the bat, picking up some tart, acidic, sour cherry. Followed by the perfect about of funk/earthiness. Swirls reveal sweeter cherry notes and oak. Also picking up some red wine/tannin.

T- Starts sweet, cherry and lemon zest upfront. Transitions to a more acidic, dry funky cherry taste. Finishes with just the perfect level of tart/sour on the tongue.

M- Again, active carbonation, but not too overbearing. Works with the tartness of the cherries, not against it. Not nearly too sweet, which is a common shortcoming of many beers similar to Cantillon Kriek. The dry body and finish is superb.

D- At 5% abv this beer is extremely sessionable. Quite refreshing too, would be great on a warm summer day. Paired great with mussels in white wine/garlic and oil. (964 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

2003 bottling.

Appearance is a beautiful ruby red with a small white head that instantly fades into a small ring around the glass. Smell is potently sour and funky. Not just a little mustiness here, but a full-fledged acidic bile smell. I love it. Taste is shockingly sour. Until your tastebuds adjust, all you taste is the face-disfiguring sourness, but then as it warms and you adjust (though it never loses its sharp sourness) you get some up front sweetness from the malt, and the cherry flavor really comes through. Almost tastes like cherries that have gone horribly bad at some point. This is possibly the most acidic drink I have ever had. Its dryness is beyond compare. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, very quenching. Due to its overpowering flavor, this is a sipper, but I could down a whole 750 by myself. Lip smackingly good. (837 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz. poured into tulip

Appearance: Opaque fuchsia with a light pink head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell: Very tart cherry smells mixed with ammonia and some funkiness, bordering vinegary. There's also some earthy spiciness going on.

Taste: The cherry isn't quite as prominent in the taste as it is the smell but damn is this one sour brew. Lemon and some apple make an appearance as far as other fruits go. The vinegar is there in the sour, but not in a bad way. There's something in the after taste that almost comes off as egg-like....also not a bad thing but I could see it throwing someone off. Otherwise it's hard to detect subtle flavors because of just how sour this beer is, maybe if it was aged longer.

Mouthfeel: Light body and absolutely mouth puckering.

Drinkability: Personally, I could have another but I would assume most would be too overtaken by the onslaught of sourness in this beer.

Overall: I wanted sour and that's what I got. I've just recently started getting into sours and this is one to pick up for sure. It's good and I think I would like it even more if my palate was a little more used to sours. (1,142 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Brilliant cranberry color. Tart aroma, like cranberry mixed with sour cherries. First sip is not as sour as expected. Not at all dry, a citric flavor is active. More cranberry than cherry. Substantial body to this beer. Little moutpucker in finish. This unsweetened lambic beer does have some residual sweetness deep in it. (330 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

pale pink color with a very lightly pink head, good and thick. smell: whew! some cherries but mostly supertart sourness makes me drool. palate is very austere, tart, dry, most puckering thing ever. some fruit. very, very tart. very dry finish. I liked it, but it is definitely at the dry and mouth-puckering end of the spectrum. (328 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My 100th review, so I decided it was time to try my first Cantillon from the cellar. Bottled 18 November 2010. Poured into a New Glarus flute.

A - Pours a beautiful red/burgundy color with a half inch of pink head. Steady streams of bubbles race to the top of the glass.

S - Slightly funkiness and tart cherries dominate the nose. Some mild notes of lemon are also present.

T - Follows the nose with tart cherries and some barnyard funk. Slightly acidic with hints of lemon and vinegar. Some sweet cherry flavors take over after the sourness fades on the finish.

M - Heavily carbonated, thin body. Fairly dry.

O - The tartness is a little overwhelming at first, but after a few sips, it becomes less noticeable as the tongue adjusts. The big cherry flavors mix very well with the sourness. A very enjoyable lambic worthy of being my 100th review! (851 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottle dated nov. 18, 2010
Poured into a chalice

Pours a deep cherry red with two fingers of pink head. Head recedes quickly and settles with a small crown with slight lacing.

Smell is cherries and sour funk. The funk smell is well balanced with the sweet cherry smell, not as overwhelming as I thought it would be.

The taste is sour cherry, much like sour patch kids. The cherry flavor is excellent, not too sweet and not too tart. The sour is not too overwhelming, very balanced. This is only my third or fourth sour, and if they all taste like this, I'm hooked.

The mouthfeel is typical of the style, high carbonation and light body. Drinks more like champagne or carbonated fruit juice. Very refreshing.

Overall, I am really enjoying this beer. It is sour and a little funky, but it tastes great. I will definitely seek this out again. (844 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Had this one last night, split with my girlfriend. It has an amazing aroma and appearance as it's a super carbonated dark red. But from the first taste, it's kind of petrifying. It's definitely the most tart beer I've ever had, and the sourness of it really brings out the intensity of the cherry. It's a really striking beer, and after my face unwrinkled from the first sip I probably laughed for a good minute. It's fun to drink, fun to share, and an awesome blend. (467 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

In a snifter:

Didn't pour with very much head, but in its defense it was put in a snifter and may have been a bit too cold. Very aromatic, with strong sour notes, green apple, dark fruit (specifically raisin), a bit of farm/earthyness. Extremely, overwhelmingly sour, but delicious. Other flavors are for the most part downed out, but include green apple and melon. Mouthfeel is about where I would expect the style with a decent body and slightly high carbonation. It's a bit too sweet and too strong to be very drinkable, but is delicious nonetheless. (554 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

I've had unsweetened lambics before, but this was my first unsweetened kriek, so I was very curious to try it.

Lovely ruby color with almost no carbonation or head. Surprisingly little smell.

The taste is pretty much as expected, very dry, very tart, and sour -- not insane over-the-top sour, but quite bracingly so. The cherry taste is forward but wonderfully non-cloying ("cloyingness" being one thing I didn't like about some other krieks); it's really like eating cherries! A nice kind of woodiness in the aftertaste, if a little subtle and fleeting.

Given my anticipation, I did end up thinking that maybe it seemed a little too straightforward -- the tastes are painted with a bold brush, and some of the details kind of seem to get lost as a result. It's also quite expensive where I am (Tokyo). Nonetheless, a nice beer, and a great change from over-sweetened fruit beers. (883 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

A: pink/reddish beer, head that dissipates very quickly
S: brett funk, oak, musty, dampness,
T: corky, oaky, lactic sourness, lemon peel bitterness, tannic, berry fruit, vinegar sour
M: dry finish, but vinegar lingers a bit long

expected a simple and fruity, light kriek, but it has complex flavor.
it is nice, but muddled by various flavors that are going on (368 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

this beer is sour, no souououoouououuoouour! Ordered for a late afternoon meditative sesssion, nad this one does the job. the color is a wonderful burgandy, ruby red. the smell reminds one of earthy fields in the late fall(or early spring). Very little head or lacing which may be standard for this beer, I do not know. The taste is one of country lanes, essences of pastoral lanes and cherrys grwoing wild in foreign lands. Musty almost hay aroma, tast and aftertaste. A beer for the discerning, sophisticated and/or beer afficaiando of thsi style. A challenging but enjoyable experience. A thesis type beer. (609 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into my duvel.

A: Very cloudy and a very reddish-orange color brew. No head save for a few bubbles clumped here and there. No lacing.

S: Smells like sour cherries, so no big surprise here. I also get a slight musty oak aroma - very pleasing in the background.

T: Very sour and very good. Cherries, apples, and a good sweetness meets a pleasant earthiness that then yields to that sour bite.

M: Perfect carbonation - not watery, not syrupy, not sticky.

D: A great beer, though I certainly could not see myself having more than one of these back to back. (565 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -32%

A: Cloudy reddish brown. Pours a finger of slightly pink head.

S: Funky sweaty lambic sour. Very vinegar-like nose. Slight cherry, but with a goaty acid smell.

T: Dry, puckering and bitter. This one stings the saliva glands under the tongue. Slightly salty towards the end, but it's hard to get over the mouth pucker this beer causes.

M: Can I say "puckering" three times in one review? Fairly high carbonation, too, but everything takes a back seat to the sour here.

D: Low.

I thought this beer was very similar to the New Belgium Lips of Faith Kriek...which was another beer that was too sour for me. (607 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer is an interesting beer, one of which I tried at the Cantillon Brewery in Brussels. I brought one back to try and am just having it now.

It pours a bright red in color with a frothy pink head. The aroma is very fruity-of cherries and other berries. The taste is very sour, but not too sour.

This is an interesting beer, very impressive-worth checking out.

Cheers! (375 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Bottle...

Pours a hazy red with almost no carbonation...

Smell is oak, sour fruits - sour cherries, unripe raspberries, horse blanket, a nice musty basement like smell.

The flavor of this beer is nice...its not as intense as some of cantillons other beers. Flavors of sour cherries, raspberries from the bush that have been picked to early, musty basement...wonderful and moderately tart, not over the top.

Nice mouth feel, really not a lot of carbonation, very nice drink ability. (486 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Wow, this beer is a real onslaught to the senses. Pours a murky cherry with a fluffy pink head and nominal lacing. The nose here is incredible. Lots of funk. Huge horse blanket and barn floor qualities. The big cherry and tartness qualities come through but the funk is HUGE. The cherries play a much larger role on the palate with the tartness coming through on the front and lingering in the finish. The funk is definitely there but nowhere near as pronounced as on the nose. Split a bottle with a friend, which is probably just enough. The first glass is ridiculous. (569 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz's bottled in 2008

A - Hazy muave color, pours with no head to speak of.

S - The tart sour funk fills the room as soon as the cork is popped. Never thought I'd use this word, but horseblanket it its!

T - Very tart citrus, with a hint of cherry in the back. Starts off with a bit of sweetness but finishes very dry. As it warms some more prominent vinegar characteristics express themselves, but never to the point of being overwhelming or unpleasant. Even a hint of saltiness.

M - Very light and thin, properly carbonated

D - A great regular sour, but perhaps a bit expensive - but then again it is an import, and a classic at that. (645 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%

Enjoying this courtesy of Cbutova as his 50th review. Drank it mildly chilled and let it breathe for 30 minutes. Pours a very carbonated fizzy pinkish red with a 1 finger head that dissipates instantaneously. The lower half of the flute glass is clad in carbonated bubbles. Smell is very funky, tart sourness and just straight up funk. Big sour citrus taste, cherries; not for the weak at heart. Nice spiky carbonated mouthfeel. I'm not such a big fan of this much sour in one sitting but it is a nice refresher every once in a while. (534 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

Tried it on draught at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden, in November 2005.

Poured a deep red color, with a pink head.
Very sour scent and flavor, typical of the Cantillon beers.
This is what a kriek from a lambic really should taste like.

It's not at all sweet or almondy like some kriek, prepare for a very sour experience. (330 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml corked bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

AP: Dark purple/red colour, but when held directly in front of the light it's shade is a cross between strawberry and pomegranate. Started with a 1.5" fluffy light pink head that was bubbling thick foam which settled down to 1/8" with light lacing on the sides.
AR: A little ACV, a lot of Belgian barnyard funk, plentiful tart/sour cherries, musty damp wood, grape and apple skins. Beautiful mixture of aromas here.
T: Nice clean crisp flavours of apple cider, sour/tart cherries, grape skins, musty oak, barnyard funky yeast, green apple skins. They all blend harmoniously together in great balance.
M: Mild carbonation, acidity on the tongue is just about right, crisp and leaning towards dry despite the best efforts of the cherries, clean lip smacking cleansing finish.
OV: I love Lambics, Sours and Wild Ales and this is a superb offering. The flavours were in near perfect balance with each other, nothing dominating. Nothing really complex about this brew, but when it's so well crafted like this it doesn't need to be. Just delicious and rewarding, a true treat. (1,119 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

not much time on this bottle - brewed in November 2010. Pour shows tremendous head close to overflowing. Looks spectacular, bright vibrant pink color. smell is tart green apple and cherry. Very dry, sourness coming through with first sip. Brett is evident as always with these beers and it just works. I prefer the drie fonteinen kriek over this, but this is no slouch. Too bad we don't see this around much anymore, but it is always nice to revisit when you can. just a great beer. (482 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Chilled bottle poured into tulip
2010 vinatge
375 ml bottle

Color: Hazy, but yet a vibrant and deep reddish/pink. A nickle thick white head appears after the pour and this beer leaves behind minimal lacing/retention.

Nose: Big time sour cherries followed by that unique Cantillon funk. A nice oak profile rises from the glass along with all those barnyard smells associated with Belgian sours.

Palate: Sour, fruity, balanced, and complex. This beer is extremely drinkable for how funky and tart it can be. Cherries invade your mouth followed by some woody textures and dryness. The abv is this beer is not evident at all making the mouthfeel incredible and full if taste.

Finish: Dry and sour. Cherries abound and the complexity of this beer is superb on the back end. Truly an amazing fruit lambic/

Rating: 94/100 (819 characters)

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon