Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
womencantsail

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle from 2007 shared with friends to finish off the evening.

A: The pour is a dark reddish-pink color with a pink head that shortly dies down to a thin ring and spotty covering.

S: Plenty of cherry fruit flesh and skins right off the bat. Lots and lots of lactic acidity to go along with the fruit. The barnyard funk is pronounced but the oak is more mellow.

T: The tartness in this beer is unrelenting. For lesser mortals, it might be too much, but I find it to be very enjoyable. Lots of cherry skin and fruit flavor and a more moderate funk character.

M: The body is medium with a soft carbonation that is oh so typical of lambics. Very dry, lots of saliva inducing tartness.

D: While I do enjoy the sourness of this beer, it is not something I would tackle a whole 750 of by myself. That said, it's a Cantillon beer, so I'll still never turn it down.

08-05-2010 19:29:24 | More by womencantsail
Spider889

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Of note, this was only my second serious sour and I utterly fell in love with Cantillon drinking this tonight. Now I have the insatiable urge to seek out the more rare styles!

Bottled on date: April 30, 2010.

This beer is fresh, and it tasted so too. I'd love to try some older vintages, but I definitely recommend this as is to any first timers.

Appearance: Poured a deep cloudy red, like that of fresh strawberries. The pink foamy head rose to nearly one finger length and then fairly quickly receded to a small ring of bubbles around the edges of the glass. It reminded me of a Lindeman's but not as thick, or like a raspberry sherbet champagne punch.

At first the beer's aroma was not as enticing as the other reviews led me to expect. But as she warmed up I began to notice deeper levels of complexity and wider pungency. Immediately I smelled the Brett (again reminiscent of champagne) and some lemony/citrus notes. Then came the sour cherries followed by faint peppery notes. As it grew warmer I detected some mild funk - mostly moldy/water-logged wood.

The flavor was amazing! Raw, tart cherries abound. You get just enough sweetness to balance the rampaging sour. However, even though the beer grew more sour as it warmed, it didn't seem to live up to some of the extreme sour descriptors I have seen previously. Perhaps it grows more sour with time. Warm, you still taste mostly cherries, but the underlying funkiness asserts itself, tasting like it came from the dankness of an old basement.

The mouthfeel is bright and highly carbonated. Semi dry, and you get some mild puckering in the back of the palate.

As for drinkability I probably wouldn't want to open more than one 750ml bottle in a sitting, but I would have gladly finished the entire bottle myself had I not been sharing it with my wife. I most certainly will be drinking this beer again.

08-05-2010 05:31:01 | More by Spider889
mdfb79

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a deep reddish pink color with 3 inches of strawberry colored head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of dark fruit, cherries, raspberries, cinnamon, and some definite funk/brett.

t - Tastes of tart dark fruits, especially cherries, funk, citrus, and maybe some vanilla and spice. Very sour.

m - Medium body and low to medium carbonation.

d - A very nice lambic. I thought it smelled great and had some nice sour cherry to the taste. Would try again.

08-04-2010 00:49:56 | More by mdfb79
fear025

3.88/5  rDev -10.2%

2007 vintage.

Aroma:Smells like sour cherries, and unlit cigar tobacco.

Appearance:Ruby Red. Very little head. Poor lacing.

Taste:Oh my god, this is sour! It has huge mouth puckering tart and sour cherry flavors. I don't really get many subtle flavors out of this one, it's not a subtle beer.

Mouthfeel:This beer is smooth, and a little bit acidic on the back of my throat.

Drinkability:This beer is a great sour beer. It's just tart and sour and cherries, with no off flavors.

08-04-2010 00:05:08 | More by fear025
WOTO97

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Wow, this beer is a real onslaught to the senses. Pours a murky cherry with a fluffy pink head and nominal lacing. The nose here is incredible. Lots of funk. Huge horse blanket and barn floor qualities. The big cherry and tartness qualities come through but the funk is HUGE. The cherries play a much larger role on the palate with the tartness coming through on the front and lingering in the finish. The funk is definitely there but nowhere near as pronounced as on the nose. Split a bottle with a friend, which is probably just enough. The first glass is ridiculous.

08-02-2010 17:07:10 | More by WOTO97
Halcyondays

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

750 mL bottle, 2005 Vintage, shared with my brother and his girlfriend, my cousin, my sister and her husband, picked up at the Total Wine in Glendale, AZ,

A: Pours an attractive pinkish red, light head, no lace.

S: Classic Brett aroma/horse blanket, cherries, pomegranate, lactic acid.

T: Opens with a burst of delicious lactic acid. Heavy lemon, with the essence of the cherries. They're there, but they've been completely fermented out. The fruit, as light as it appears in the finished beer through the beginning and mid-palate, jumps out to give a great finish surrounded with the acid.

M: Quite acidic, but not rough at all. The acid makes the body with a slightly sweet finish, moderate/high acidity overall. Perchance I wanted more acidity to give it a 5?

D: This frankly is fantastic beer. Delicious, incredible lactic acid and funk flavours, that just begs another sip to be taken. I went through this so fast, the acidity and fruit flavour were to die for. My brother opened up a bottle of Mersault at the same time, and while I love White Burgs and it was a good wine, the difference in overall complexity between the two was striking and clear in the Cantillon's favour for something that was half the price. A must try if it's available. About as perfect as a fruit lambic gets, I think the age is well apparent in the complexity of this beer.

08-01-2010 07:36:00 | More by Halcyondays
JohnnyBarman

Ontario (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev -34.5%

Bottle from Knightly Spirits in Orlando. Dated 2008.

Pours a bright cherry red, with little to no lacing or head. Looks like cherry juice.

Nose is sour cherries, sugar, citrus and cream, a touch of that lambic horse blanket funkiness. Musky.

Wow, is this brew ever sour! I thought I was prepared for such an astringent brew, but I was certainly mistaken. A real palate cleanser. Sour, sour cherries with vinegar and oaky, musky flavors. Demands one's entire attention.

Medium bodied, with a light carbonation to deliver the sourness right to your door. However, the acidic quality provides a real burn that I'm not enjoying.

As high a quality of lambic beer that this is, I have to say I really didn't understand it. Not an enjoyable experience whatsoever. This was just oppressively sour and was a chore to get through. Instead of sour, fresh cherries, I just got...well, sour. Well made, but definitely not my thing. I might try it again in the future to see if a different batch works for me, but as for now, I'll have to count myself among those who just don't dig authentic lambics.

07-28-2010 17:41:14 | More by JohnnyBarman
portia99

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

375ml bottle (2005 vintage)...one of several purchased on clearance - $5/bottle - Really?!? Poured into a gold rimmed Buzzards Bay stemmed glass.

A - Pours a bright but hazy, gleaming cranberry juice like pinkish tinged red. Only the smallest of skim coats of loose white bubbles sits on the surface momentarily before giving it up and leaving behind a thin, fine bubbled collar.

S - Very healthy dose of brett induced funk hits the nose immediately. A bit musty, cellar like around the barnyard funk mixed with oak. All of this surrounds a very tart lactic and acetic sour cherry aroma in the center of it all.

T - Wow - sour, sour, sour. Immediately hit with very sour cherries, extreme lactic sourness, some nice horseblankety funk, some oak. Did I say this is sour??? This rivals Beatification for the most intense sour I've ever experienced - this is actually a bit too much for me.

M - Puckering is the first word that comes to mind. After every swallow, my saliva glands feel like they are literally dripping, fighting with everything they have to counteract this sourness. This actually is a bit reminiscent of some of the worst heartburn I've ever had...just with cherries added. This is just a bit intense!

D - This is a rough one. In small doses, this is an interesting and pretty tasty beer. The full bottle is ending up being a bit much. Gotta find something to counteract this acidity before I attempt to lay down for bed tonight.

07-25-2010 23:50:05 | More by portia99
beerpirates

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

37 cl bottel
A - Pours a dark pink beer with a pink tinged inch of fluffy white head that falls away fairly quickly.

S - Musty, earthy & sour notes on top of a definate cherry aroma.

T - Tart cherry sourness with some musty, earthy notes.

M - Mouth puckering tartness, fairly light bodied with a pretty high carbonation.

D - Not something I'd drink regularly but it is a very interesting beer and well worth a try.

07-25-2010 15:08:28 | More by beerpirates
Stigs

4.63/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz pour at Monk's, served in a flute-type glass

A - solid two fingers of creamy soft pink colored foam, slowly retreats to a thin layer + ring leaving a thick coat of lacing down the glass. the beer is a very pretty red color and slightly hazy.

S - sweet vanilla, oak...a little sweeter than anticipated. the cherries come through in the nose, but a little subtle, graceful. not picking up much in the way of lactic or sour.

T - yum. out of nowhere the mouth explodes with fresh and lovely sour cherries with a sharp acidic and lactic bite. if all cherries tasted like this i would eat them everyday, incredibly fresh and ripe. touches of oak and vanilla finish it off. perfect.

M - light-medium body, carries an unsuspecting creaminess and slightly syrupy, but refreshing. playful carbonation dances around the mouth.

D - i was expecting to like this, not love it. i was wrong. so delicious fresh, I am psyched to go home and see how a bottle with some time on it is doing. a true work of art this this. cheers to Cantillon.

07-21-2010 18:14:24 | More by Stigs
alcstradamus

Washington

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

2009 cork

Pours a beautiful dark red with a pink head and lots effervescent bubbles.

Taste is tart cherry, cobweb, lemon zest, band aid, orange. Standard Cantillon aroma (i.e. amazing)

The flavor is a stunning burst of fresh picked cherry flavor and vacuum filters. This is not as sour as I had expected based on what others have told me. Perhaps the 2009 vintage still needs a bit of time to get that bite? Either way, it doesn't really matter. The extra sour would simply be icing on the cake on top of this fantastic lambic in front of me. Just such a nice cherry pie flavor and very subtle funkiness (subtle for a Cantillon). The finish is juicy cherry with notes of cobweb and lemon zest.

The body on this is on the high side of medium and carbonation levels are high but kind of soft. The finish is juicy rather than ultra dry, which works well here.

Drinkability is very good right now...I think with more sourness it could change the whole landscape of this beer, so I'm curious to find an older bottle and compare.

07-20-2010 03:58:39 | More by alcstradamus
Xul

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Pours a slightly hazy, deep ruby red, capped by a foamy two finger pink head. Retention is good as the head settles down to one finger and holds steady there. Light lacing is left down the glass.

S: Tart cherries are out front, followed by oak, a very light lactic sourness, and moderate barnyard funk. The fruit is a bit subdued but the aroma is overall well balanced.

T: Tart cherries up front again, but the fruit character shines through better than it did in the nose. Lactic sourness and oak come in after the fruit along with some lemon zest, followed by a big dose of horse blanket funk that remains through the finish. A good dose of cherry comes in on the backend to balance the funk in the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation.

D: Enjoyable and not overly acidic, but the sourness really builds as it warms.

07-16-2010 03:47:36 | More by Xul
Wisconsinality

Wisconsin

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

2008 vintage poured into New Glarus flute.

A- Pours a nice ruby red with hints of orange around the edges. Very minimal head that leaves nothing in the way of lacing or cap.

S- Tart cherries and oak greet the nose. Just the slightest bit of funk ties it all together.

T- Nice sour cherries bless the tongue right away. The oak plays second fiddle here. Just the smallest amount of some nice grassy notes.

M- Lighter bodied that is clean and crisp. Very dry on the finish. Mouth puckeringly sour but leaves you wanting just one more sip. God carbonation as well.

D- About as good as a sour can be. Good mouth puckering sour but not as complex as I had hoped. Good beer nonetheless as I keep falling harder and harder for beers of this style, not to mention my wallet.

07-15-2010 01:06:04 | More by Wisconsinality
Arbitrator

2.42/5  rDev -44%

2007 vintage bottle into a glass. I tackled a 750mL on my own. Bad idea...

Now, before I go into this, I want to preface my review with the comment that I really enjoy Cantillon. I do. I love the Lou Pepe series, I've enjoyed every aged Cantillon I've had, and if my recent trading history were a romantic comedy, it would be titled, "Must Love Cantillons." Keep that in mind as you read.

A: Pours a clear, dark cherry red color with short-lived light pink head. Low-carbed as lambic usually is.

S: Tart dark cherries, oak, vinegar, and light lactic sourness. There's a horsey funk as well. The aroma is actually outstanding, and if that's all I had to take away from the beer, I'd be happy.

T: As with the smell, a flavor that is ruled by tart, dark cherries with a light lactic sourness. Tannins and a funky flavor in the finish. It has a dry, acidic note at the close, which is ok in small quantities but gets me coughing by the time I'm halfway done with the bottle. It's insanely imbalanced. Feels like I'm chewing on a battery. Maybe the younger ones are better, but I had a fresh bottle at the brewery last year and that one hurt too. I wouldn't be surprised if the Geneva Convention forbade Cantillon Kriek to be poured over the wounds of POWs. It's that intense.

M: Light-bodied, low carbonation. The finish is extremely dry and acetic, and after a while I am reaching for my Tums. Unpleasant to say the least. Masochism in a bottle.

D: This is unpleasantly acidic and a chore to drink. I've tackled full 750mLs twice now (once at the brewery, once at home) and I can safely say I'm never opening a bottle of this alone again. It's just not meant for human consumption out of a 750mL. Maybe to clean your car engine. I'd give this a lower score overall (a C- for a distinctly unpleasant beer is being generous), but other vintages have been outstanding and pleasant. So I'm averaging it.

P.S. After pounding on my mouth and esophagus for a while, it went to work on my stomach and gave me diarrhea.

07-12-2010 03:29:45 | More by Arbitrator
Naugros

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

This is my third kriek and the prettiest one so far. The beer is a plum color, looking like ruby in the glass, with a thick, well-packed pink head.

My tulip glass sits a good yard from my nose and I can still smell the Morello cherries from here. That musty/sour/sweet smell assaults and delights my nostrils. What a shame that my wife doesn't like kriek. Well, actually no; I don't have to share.

I've had Oud Beersel's and Liefmans' krieks and they were both very different from one another. This is also different than the two of them . This is the most sophisticated of the three. Oud Beersel was perhaps the most traditional and the most sour, Liefmans was more suited to the American palate and Cantillon has delivered on one that could be held to the highest scrutiny and stand with royalty. This is the Dom Perignon, the Napolean brandy, the Westvletren of kriek! I now wish I had bought the 750. The cherries are their tartness are the main players. It most krieks that's the only flavor, but I was wonderfully surprised my the fact that you can get a sense of the hops. It's slight, but there is a touch of bitterness in the wash. Superb!

The mouthfeel is another aspect of its sophistication. The other krieks left a sour aftertaste that was reminiscent of Sweet Tarts, but this finishes dry. I am thoroughly impressed by the skill of the brewers at Cantillon, but who am I to judge them?

If you like kriek or sour beers, buy this one and revel in a masterpiece. Yes, I'm gushing, but this beer deserves it!

07-10-2010 02:27:15 | More by Naugros
DaveJanssen

Germany

Poured a 375 mL bottle into a tulip. Cork reads 2008. reviewed 7/5/2010.

Ar: funk, sour, lactic acid, very mild acetic acid, tart cherry, lightly floral, somewhat restrained aroma, classic cantillon smell but more fruity, barn/earth increase with warmth and breathing

Ap: clear bright red, medium pink head settles to thin layer quickly

T: very tart, cherries and pitty earthiness, very pleasant earth/cherry mix, ends with warming acid, not as complex as the normal geuze but good, cherry strength increases with warmth, lemon, acid, sour/earthy character adds good depth, starts tart, then cherry fruitiness, then pitty/nutty earthiness, ends wth warming acid

M: very tart but very mild acetic acid so the acid is clean, mild carbonation, warming light end

O: would possibly prefer less sourness and more funk, but good, better after it breathes

I noticed about half way through my first pour that Jean van Roy says to let it breath at room temp for 1/2 hour first. I definitely felt the second pour was better

07-09-2010 21:14:18 | More by DaveJanssen
muttyd

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Deep ruby red with a fluffy pink head.

S - Yeast funk, cherries, lemon/citrus acidity.

T - Sour/tart cherries, some oaky/vanilla flavors. Classic lambic.

M - Very fizzy/bubbly with a strong astringent finish.

D - Great lambic. Very available and not too pricey. Love this beer.

07-08-2010 01:00:42 | More by muttyd
mullenite

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottled in October of 2008 and poured in to a large pilsner glass.

Bright red in color with a pinkish white head. Not really a whole lot of lacing but there is a nice cap on top with some visible carbonation in the glass.

Smell is tart and funky. Kind of cheesy with some light, sour fruit aromas but nothing really distinct.

Amazingly sour in taste, tart and sharp like a warhead. This is the most sour tasting liquid I have ever had. There is some fruitiness in there that is definitely sour cherries.

Medium body with mild carbonation. Enamel ripping sour though.

Overall, this beer is insanity bottled but oh so good. The sourness is unrestrained but clean and still retains some fruitiness. Really refreshing beer.

07-04-2010 03:02:07 | More by mullenite
hansgruber

Indiana

375 bottled 9.09.08 served into a Cantillon taster glass

Small one finger head
Light orange-red color
Swirling yields some carbonation, otherwise nothing really visible.

Nose is funky, fruity, and vinous.
Doesn't smell sour.
Musty with a damp wood smell.

Mouth puckering sour with the cherries in there too
Nice acidity balanced by the cherries

Enjoyed the beer and think it's one of the most sour beers I've drank.

07-04-2010 02:27:05 | More by hansgruber
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

12 fl. oz. corked and capped bottle served at 52 degrees in my Allagash chalice. Bottled on 28 October 2008 indicated on the back label. Poured the color of pomegranate with a semi-hazy clarity. A half inch, loose, off-white head quickly dissipated into a skim - no lacing on this one. Clusters of bubbles adhered to the sides of the glass and sizzled and effervesced in solution. The nose screams tart - cork, choke cherries, a musty quality and a hint of citric acid. Taste consistent with nose; however the cherries are masked by the citrus acidity and expresses itself as salty in the mouth. Mouthfeel is light-medium, but closer to light, while a lively carbonation and a bone dry finish. It is so tart that it stimulates the salivary glands along the sides of the cheeks while it's in the mouth, and keeps going after the swallow. I've had more gueuzes than lambics; however, I found this lambic to be much tarter than most gueuzes I've had the opportunity to try. Very nice and quite refreshing and enjoyable.

06-24-2010 23:57:04 | More by Jwale73
mike130

United Kingdom (England)

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Have not before a lambic that is as sour and tart as this one, but was extremely impressed. Pours a nice red, quite clear, color similar to a darker rose wine. Little bit of a head, dissipates into a small layer with a little bit of lacing.

Smells totally different to anything I've had before - sour and tart, much more so than any other lambics I've had in the past, almost like a red wine. The cherries themselves don't come through except in their tartness which is very strong, no hops or malts really discenirble at all.

The taste is astounding - very cherry-like and with hints of sweetness, yet ultimately very sour. The end is particularly strong, but whereas with most beers you get a strong kick of hops, with this it's sour.

Pleasant mouthfeel - very well carbonated, nothing too excessive, and leaves a lasting soury freshness in your mouth. Very easy to drink, some people might find the sourness to be a problem but I personally love. Great beer.

06-23-2010 02:19:44 | More by mike130
callmemickey

2008 Vintage consumed in June of 2010

A: Medium pinkish-red body with a thin off-white head. Quickly receded but formed a nice thick ring. A few stray clumps of lacing.

S: The tartness of the cherries is completely evident from the very first sniff. Nice amount of sour and acidic notes in the nose as well. A bit of funk and must.

T: Huge tart cherries, with a healthy dose of sourness and cutting acidity. Earthy funk, and some musty oak. Not my favorite kriek but this is a very solid representation of the style.

M: Smooth with gentle carbonation. Dry finish with a nice puckering tartness and massive sourness

D: Despite the powerful sourness, this is pretty easy to drink. Its almost difficult to take the time to slowly sip and savor each drop though.

06-21-2010 00:29:41 | More by callmemickey
snogglethorpe

Japan

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

I've had unsweetened lambics before, but this was my first unsweetened kriek, so I was very curious to try it.

Lovely ruby color with almost no carbonation or head. Surprisingly little smell.

The taste is pretty much as expected, very dry, very tart, and sour -- not insane over-the-top sour, but quite bracingly so. The cherry taste is forward but wonderfully non-cloying ("cloyingness" being one thing I didn't like about some other krieks); it's really like eating cherries! A nice kind of woodiness in the aftertaste, if a little subtle and fleeting.

Given my anticipation, I did end up thinking that maybe it seemed a little too straightforward -- the tastes are painted with a bold brush, and some of the details kind of seem to get lost as a result. It's also quite expensive where I am (Tokyo). Nonetheless, a nice beer, and a great change from over-sweetened fruit beers.

06-17-2010 00:12:54 | More by snogglethorpe
hayesez

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev -12.5%

I picked this up during a recent trip to Bloomington with my kids. Love Cantillon's beer and was looking forward to trying what many regard to be the "most sour" of the sours. This was beer number three during a tasting with a group of four of us. It did not disappoint.

Poured into my Stone snifter, I could have convinced myself that I was drinking a V8 or a Bloody Mary when I held it up to the light. A cloudy reddish pink suspension that produced a modest pink-hued head and left no lace throughout the session. Definitely off to a good start.

Let me preface this next rant with a little history - so it has only been the past couple of years or so that I have really started trying a bunch of different sour beers. As I've now had several dozen of them, I've really grown to appreciate the funky barnyardy smell that is associated with many of them. I grew up a on a farm and am always amazed by how much a beer can smell like that combination of must, mold, wet hay, horse piss, sweat, etc. that you'd smell in an old barn...but I like it. Weird for most, but certainly understood by anyone who digs sours. Before this beer warmed up, it literally smelled like a fresh cow-pie...or a toddler's dirty diaper that had spent too much time in the sun. There was a hint of cherry in there as well, but it was significantly overshadowed by the funk. A bit too much for me. This definitely calmed down as the beer warmed up a bit as well.

Judging from the smell, I was fully anticipating not liking the flavor of this beer. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised and actually quite pleased. The first few drinks were not as sour as I expected, but picked up as the beer warmed. Acidic, tart, and sour cherry were the first thoughts that came to mind upon drinking. A mild (but very functional) amount of carbonation and a medium-body aided the experience of the brew, and by the end I realized that I actually quite enjoyed this beer. The cherry flavor is a bit over-powered by the extreme tartness, but gratefully the sour did not cross the line for me. I really did enjoy it. I can't imagine that I have ever reviewed a beer with such a large gap between smell and taste...

Drinkability on this guy takes a hit largely because I'm not quite sure how much the inner-workings of my body could really handle. This is sour, and I'm sure if I'd had much more, I would have felt it...Although I did keep looking for more, long after my portion was gone. I really did enjoy what I had and will certainly buy it again the next time I see it.

Consumed: 6/13/2010

06-14-2010 20:48:09 | More by hayesez
pmlondrigan

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Pinkish red light white head. The head is appropriartly thin. I smell funk, oak, hourse blanket and cheese, yup cheese. Cherry is a more apparent flavor the more this lambic warms. The first taste that hits you is more of a sensation of lactic acid followed by oak and then very very tart cherry flavor. The amount of wheat in the grist is clear when you drink this beer. Obviously not too much hop action. I love the mouthfeel of a lambic, or geuze for that matter. Dry! prickly and super squiky. This lambic would get a higher drinability score but it is just so bracingly sour. I love cantillon, this lambic would benefit from a long sit in my cellar, and I believe thats what another bottle or two will get.

06-13-2010 01:03:19 | More by pmlondrigan