Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

5/11/2011: It's amazing what ~4 years of craft beer drinking can do to one's palate. 2010 500ml bottle allowed to breathe before being poured into a Delirium Tremens goblet.

Fleeting rosy-pink head atop a vibrant, blood-orange red body. Lots of carbonation still active, keeping a steady plume of bubbles filling the middle of the glass. Aroma is decadent, heavenly. Fresh cherry skins and tart berry vines backed by a touch of doughy malts. Leather, vinegar, and deliciousness. I could smell this all day.

Tart cherry rinds and acetic acid lash at the tongue with each sip, but it's a beautiful hurt. Finishes dry and tannic as the sourness clinches at the tastebuds. Body is light and zesty, but the bubbles could stand to be a little smaller as they roll across the palate and effervesce at the back of the throat. Overall, a fantastic Kriek; all I can do is laugh at my inexperienced review below.

5/19/2007: A-4.0, S-4.0, T-3.5, M-3.0, O-3.0; Score - 3.48

1 pt. 9.4 oz bottle allowed to breathe for 20 minutes, then poured into a wine glass.

Produces a gorgeous dark rose color that transitions to plum. A thin, rimmed off-white head recedes quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Aroma is both fruity and biscuity, reminding me of cherry pop-tarts. A spicy hop kick as well as a vanilla sweetness are also present.

Taste is very sour, like a batch of under-ripened raspberries or the tartiest cherry cobbler you could imagine. Mouthfeel is bitter/sour as well, and its dryness makes the tongue sweat. I have to say I was disappointed with this lambic. Its unbridled sour note limits its drinkability, and it's not exactly big on the cherries. Other, better kriek's are out there, and at ~$12 a bottle for cantillon, I'll be drinking them instead.

wagenvolks, May 19, 2007
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Ruby red with a brown hue. Pinkish head with abundant carbonation. Cherries, cherries and more cherries in the aroma. A bit sour smelling and a little funky, but this one kicks you right in the nostrils. This is what a lambic should smell like.

Right from the first drink, this one is sour and lip-puckering. Cherries out the ass, and into your glassware. Sour as can be while still remaining drinkable. Really, this is like Wisconsin Belgian Red on steroids. This is the Barry Bonds of lambic.

Nicely carbonated for this style. Although its very sour, every drink screams for another. An absolutely delicious beer that should be enjoyed amongst friends or lovahs.

trep, May 02, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, looked like a small bottle of wine. The beer is ruby red. looked good except for no head at all. I'd have liked to see some pink froth on top...

The aroma is 100% sour lambic, maybe 98% sour lambic + 2% cherries. I expected more cherry in the smell, but actually I probably prefer it just the way it is. As for the taste, it's completely sour. My face actually puckered up several times through the bottle, it was so intensely acidic. The masochist in me liked it, but only just this once. I couldn't drink this too often, way too bracing.

Drinkability is good for the style, but you absolutely have to like sour beers to even finish the bottle.

TurdFurgison, Apr 24, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

The head vanished incredibly quickly, but man is the color OUTSTANDING! Agorgeous murky raspberry, raw ruby color that I could just stare at if I didnt want to drink this thing so badly. It has even an almost watered down tomato juice color under strong light.

Now the scent... man can you smell the tartness, wow! Nice sour, pre-ripe cherry. Almost a cranberry scent, even... You can actually taste this just from inhaling.

The taste is almost sea salty. Very strongly sour on the tip, slightly mellower in the middle, but somehow you stay puckering the whole time and it becomes sour again. There's also a slight metal in there... somewhere between iron and copper.

I'm amazed I found this at a grocery store.

Lexx, Apr 16, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

12 oz bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Chicago. Perfect size for two and $7.99 I believe. Bottled in 2006.

Pours a very murky red, cranberry/raspberry juice coloured, fizzy pink head forms, disappears very fast, leaves a few lace spots. Smell is very intense, sharp sour note, very vinegary, intense acidity, nice cherry, oaky, more insane fruity acidity, you can smell this acidity! Taste smacks me good, insane sourness, I thought I had sour beers before this. Oaky cherry, almost saltiness, I find a bit weak on the finish, very acidic, attacks the tongue. Insane. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low-medium carbonation, very harsh, very enjoyable, neat experience. Good thing I have a few more Cantillons kicking around!

Viggo, Apr 16, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

My first Cantillon! Let's see what all the fuss is about.

A- Well, I must say, this is a gorgeous beer. Bright ruby with a nice, frothy pink head. Head dissipates a little quickly, though.

S- Acidic to the max. At first it seems like it's just sharp and acidic. Then, as my nose adjusts, some barnyard funk is evident. Finally the cherry comes in. In fact, I really only got the cherry when I pulled my nose away from the beer. It took a while before my nose adjusted to the point that I could really smell the cherry amongst all the other aromas.

T- Whoa, hello! This is some tart stuff right here! Mouth-puckering sourness overwhelms the tastebuds as the liquid hits the tongue. Sharp notes of vinegar, lemon juice and horsey funk are first, with a fantastic sour cherry flavor on the aftertaste. Intense! I thought my nose needed time to adjust; I'm not sure my taste buds can ever adjust to this stuff. Not that that's a bad thing. In fact, it's a great thing! I don't want this stuff to lose its edge. I like knowing what is coming on every sip and still being unprepared. Damn, this is good.

M- Medium-bodied and well carbonated. The mouthfeel is really the last thing on my mind when I'm drinking this beer, but when I concentrate on it I realize that it's because it complements the flavor so well. The carbonation is at the perfect level to accentuate the sourness.

D- Near perfection. The sourness limits the speed at which I can drink it, but certainly not the amount I can drink. I'm not sure one 750 ml bottle is enough.

This was certainly an eye-opener. Really the first authentic, traditional lambic I've tried, too. I was a little concerned going in that I shouldn't be jumping into the deep end right away, so to speak, but I thought, what the hell. And thank goodness I did! I see what all these hardcore lambic lovers are talking about now. I almost felt like I was punishing myself by drinking this stuff, but I couldn't put it down! I think this is a style I could really get into. I can't recommend this beer highly enough.

vtfan77, Apr 12, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

I've been wanting to try this beer again since the last time I had it which was at least 9 months ago. Ordered a 12.7 oz bottle while at the Moan and Dove in Amherst, MA.

Pours a light red color with a small head consisting of larger-than-normal-beer bubbles. Very pleasant aroma with lots of cherry and not really much else I can put my finger on. The flavor is exceptional. There is nothing else like it to me. The extreme sourness is very enjoyable as it mixes with the fruit flavor. Mouthfeel takes a little bit to get used to, but I don't mind it at all. I think I would have no problem drinking a large quantity of this.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this style, and I consider myself a rookie in the world of lambics. The first time I tried this beer I hated it. The second time I liked it. And this time I loved it. Can't wait to try some other examples of the style.

Jacobob10, Apr 08, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -11.1%

pink red beer with next to no head, pretty par for the course though. the cork didn't pop when i pulled it out.
tart and funky smelling. with barnyard and hay aromas mingled with both unripe and ripe floral cherries. at times an almost tomato-y acidic aroma.
this is a murderously sour beer. the first sip is incredibly puckering, i'm sure i made a face. in a couple sips you become accustomed, and it become quite good, bombarding you with sour cherries, cranberries, and actually hints of watermelon at the finish as the other flavors trail off. tastes of spice now and again, especially at lower temperatures. not super complex, but tasty.
the carbonation level is near flat with only the slightest tingling to let you know it's carbonated. medium bodied.
a good tasting beer, but drinkability takes a little bit of a hit because of it's sourness, and slight lack of complexity may not keep you interested. certainly a good beer though, and something i'd buy again.

kmo1030, Apr 06, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

Drank from a corked 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA

Poured a brilliant, clear, glowing crimson with no head.

Aroma was typical of a lambic. Musty, funky, fairly sour and a touch earthy with some sour fruits hiding in the background.

Taste was very sour from start to finish. The beer started super sour and funky up front before some oaky notes appeared mid-palate. The long, puckeringly dry and acidic finish was quite sour as well with an earthy and oaky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was crisp, sparkly and heavily effervescent.

This is a very traditional lambic. It's not not refreshing (as the maker claims) nor is it something you would want to drink on a regular basis. However, it can serve as a nice aperitif, an accompaniment to salads or as a reduction in a variety of dishes.

Damian, Mar 31, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Cloudy rose colored beer with edges closer to pink. A very thin white colored head dissipated rapidly. Has is too rich to notice any carbonation. No lacing to speak of.

Very dry cherry aroma. Definitely has an aged quality expected in a lambic. Sour is the main theme of this beer. Not much in the way of hidden aromas, but a bit weak.

The taste assaults the mouth with a super hit of sourness. Cherry is clearly noticeable on the tongue through the tartness. As in the smell, uncomplicated but pleasant.

Extremely tingling effect on the tongue comes more from bitterness then from carbonation. Decent viscosity.

A very nice beer in the style. This one is a dessert beer unto itself. Truly not a lambic for the uninitiated. This one is not a beer to try and session, and best enjoyed in a smaller amount shared amongst friends.

RedChrome, Mar 07, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

2003 bottling

the cork is popped, and gas comes rushing out of the bottle. the smell of belgian yeast creeps into the air. poured into a wine glass, a small crisp head forms on top of the bold red liquid, and then vanishes. each sip is like a bite of a cherry pie made from scratch -- sour natural cherries, plenty of yeasty funk, and minuscule amounts of spice to keep things balanced.
rugged on the tongue at first, and then expands into a smooth sweet nectar. this is what natural ingredients taste like.

schusterbauer, Feb 21, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: A shiny reddish orange, I would consider it firey the head quickly dissipates.

Smell: It has the like the “funky” smell that the other Cantillon product I have tried has, I can smell the cherry but barely. Honestly, I do not love the smell of this beverage; perhaps my palette isn’t developed enough yet.

Taste: Tart, overwhelmingly tart. The cherries are defiantly there as is a little sweetness. The aftertaste is quite pleasing, and as I drink it the sourness becomes less overwhelming. As I drink the beer the acidity begins to become less of an issue, it is still pretty tart but I would classify it as acquired taste.

Mouthfeel: Very balanced, a nice light snap of carbonation. I do like the mouthfeel of the beer.

Drinkability: I am glad I only bought a 375 mL bottle, as I would most likely not be able to finish a full sized bottle alone. I really want to like this beer, and I think I need to get myself more used to the sheer tartness and review this one again.

rattech, Feb 17, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

This beer is much more Cantillon 100% Lambic than it is Kriek. The cherry is in the color and in the nose a tad but flavor is intense and quite sour. The flavor is so intense that while I enjoy sour beers it is simply impossible to deny that it does affect the drinkability.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jan 28, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz corked bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip

A - Very cloudy cranberry red with a minimal 1/4 inch head. Lacing is moderate and not in thick sheets. Constant stream of carbo bubbles throughout this beer's life.

S - Very tart and sweet cherry scent with an interesting sour note (reminds me of the brett yeast scent).

T - Intensely puckering with its sour sucker punch. It certainly takes some getting used to, but after some questionable first sips I found myself thoroughly enjoying this rare treat. Almost a cranberry addition to the cherry fruit.

M - Super-tart pucker that smacks your palate and leaves you wanting more.

D - A superb treat, but not something you would drink multiple of in an evening.

gmcfarre, Jan 15, 2007

Pours a hazy strawberry red body capped with pocked pink collar of foam. The sourness wafts to my nose as I type this and the funk which I detect from two feet away is already making my mouth water. I share the tulip with WifeAce who promptly announces that this is the worst smelling beer I've ever offered her. With an ear-to-ear grin I say. "I know...isn't it great!"

Entry is maddeningly sour, yet spritely. Aggressive tiny-bubbled CO² tortures the walls of my cheeks while the equivelent of 247 cherry sour patch kids is dropped in concentrated form right in the middle of my tongue. If you ever wish to map out the sour receptors in your mouth, this is the way to do it!

Funky with some barnyard aroma, tangy cherries, and a dusty finish make every drop of this gem pure pleasure. Authenticity is never in doubt and this is a must-have for any lover of sour beers.

IceAce, Dec 30, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -21.9%

Musty, wet blanket, funky, woodsy, slight sour cherry, and raw beef? in the nose... complex and interesting. Very assertively sour up front (for me) pick out some spicy astringency, apple peals, and sour cherries in the flavor. Dry mouthfeel with lingering sourness, low carbonation, and acidity. Interesting beer, but lambics are still new to me so I need some warming up to them.

IdentityAles, Dec 03, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dull ruddy mahogany with virtually no head or carbonation. Aroma of tart cherries hits me from across the room as soon as the cork is removed, long before any glassware is involved. A closer inspection reveals its earthy, winey, robust cherry scent, like fruit left to ferment in a dirty bucket outside.

The taste is slap-in-the-face sour, an overpowering force of funky barnyard and spoiled fruit. Oh, it's cherries all right -- but some sort of evil mutation birthed from a lab by a madman with dreams of conquest. Acetic sourness for days, mere hints of musty cherry and black cherry flavors, maybe some burgundy gone bad. This is what drinking that juice way past its date in the back of the fridge must taste like.

Mouthfeel is medium and flat, almost like drinking juice instead of beer. Probably has more in common with a cherry wine than a cherry beer. Makes some people gag but I like it. I'm strange that way.

assurbanipaul, Dec 01, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +9%

I picked up a 750 ml bottle for 14.99 at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo. Its been almost 3 years since Ive had Cantillon Kriek and its as good as I remember it.

Pours a glowing cranberry orange color. Through the haze brisk carbonation is very prominent. With a hard pour a fizzy pinkish head emerges and quickly fizzles away leaving moderate lacing behind. The aroma is full of trademark Cantillon funk with lots of horse blanket and wet hay. there's also some honeyish malt and a clear acidity. Some sulfur hides in the background. I couldnt detect any cherry.

The taste is super sour and also immensely complex as you would expect from a good Kriek. There is lots of barnyardy notes and lactic acidity. There is also a good measure of woody cherry pit flavor and some tart cherry fruit. Musty cheese and sweaty socks figure in there too. As the glass warms the sourness becomes ever more puckering. The finish is as sour as they come and still very complex. The mouthfeel is light with a active but not abrasive carbonation.

This is a fantastic Kriek. Cantillon truly makes the benchmark for the style, so intense and enigmatic. A must try.

CAMRAhardliner, Nov 29, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance – This was delivered in a tiny little Chimay glass. It was a beautiful raspberry red in color with a pink head. The colors were just brilliant and it probably was the prettiest glass of beer that I have ever seen.

Smell – The sharp sweet and sour nose was amazing. The luscious, fresh raspberries smelled so natural and fresh they rivaled the smell of real raspberries. This was a collusion of nature, a rich, fruity freshness and the light beer-like malt with the sophisticated aroma of dull soury lemon.

Taste – The tart flavors were so big at the taste that I literally did a double-take. They were mixed with a fresh fruity sweetness in just the right ratio. The raspberries from the nose accompanied some wonderful but not overpowering cherry flavors. The malts were light, just enough to let the drinker know that he is drinking a beer.

Mouthfeel – This was a bit bigger than light-bodied and perfectly carbonated. The feel in the cheeks was light and fluffy yet lively enough to keep one entertained. The tartness was bigger than other samples of the style but played right into the bold flavors of this wonderful Lambic.

Drinkability – This was the show-stopper of the night at the O’Brien’s pre-Stone 10th Anniversary BA Party. Any fan of the style would die for a taste of this offering from Cantillon.

RoyalT, Nov 12, 2006
2.13/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Spied this at the store I searched out to get the Double Bastard and being a fan of other lambics, I had to try it.

A: Pours about the brightest red I've ever seen. Not much head, but that could be due to the size of the sample (1 pint, 9 oz. bottle split four ways).

S: Smells like a typical lambic, but not a very strong cherry scent as I was expecting.

T: Ooh! Really, really, REALLY sour. Too sour for my liking.

M: Light body. Don't want to keep it in my mouth too long, though, because it's so sour.

D: Nope. I just can't get past the sourness. If sourness is what you like in a lambic, then this is certainly the beer for you. Personally, though, I'll take a Lindemann's any day of the week.

milesfan76, Nov 11, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

2005 vintage. Seems this bottle has been overfilled and the cork is very moist. Beer has spilled out into the foil, probably from the corked/capping process. The cork smells of vinegar and metal. Lets see how the beer held up, hopefully the cork didn't affect the taste.

Poured very carefully into my trusty Wal-Mart pilsner glass, to reveal a cherry-red beer with busy carbonation. Cantillon nose I expected, so far so good; woody and fruity smelling accompanied by funky earthyness and sawdust grains.

First thing that hits you is sour cherries. The yogurt-like sourness lingers for a while, and the wheat and barley make for a nice light backbone. Hints of goat cheese, tartar, and tabasco sauce. Finishes dry dry dry. No vinegar or sugar, and thankfully no wet cardboard from the cork. Very well balanced between fruity-sour-watery-grainy. Very well made lambic.

Just the right amount of carbonation. It looks more carbonated than the mouth can detect. Nice refreshing beer for afternoon sipping. Excellent drinkability.

If you can get past the sour aspect, I highly recommend this beer. Definately not for everyone, but it's a fun challange to aquire a taste for lambics, so go for it! Cheers!

rayjay, Sep 24, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +4.6%

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic
Bottled in 2005
12 oz green bottle with cork and tin foil wrapping
Served in a Duck Walk vineyard champagne flute

During the past few weeks I have been really zoning in on exploring Lambics. I was excited to pick up this 12 oz bottle for $6.80 at Colonial Spirits in Acton, MA.

I opened the bottle and let the beer sit for about 20 minutes and then poured away in my champagne flute. Pours a vibrant shade of light red with pink colored highlights. Wispy thin lacing for a head.

Explosive aroma with whiffs of funk and sweet fruits.

Highly acidic, raw and sour with an authentic cherry appeal. The mouthfeel is spritzy and intense as it takes control over my taste buds. Hints of apple cider vinegar and raw cherry juice blend together to make an impression on my palate.

The drinkability level is rather high as my palate is on heightened alert.

I guess this is what Lambics are all about. Incredibly magnificent and marvelously complex.

Hibernator, Aug 13, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +2.3%

Like everything else I've tried from Cantillon, the Kriek is superb. Poured into a champagne flute. Crystal clear, bright red, brilliant. A slightly pink small head that lasted about a half-minute before fading to a ring, no lacing. This beer is absolutely gorgeous.

Cherries are in the front of the aroma, not cloying as with many krieks (Lindeman's especially), but fresh and clean. Behind the cherries lurks that musty, horse-blankety lambic funk. Yet somehow, as with all good lambics, that funk somehow allows an overall impression of crisp, clean, tartness.

The taste has cherries in the front again. Sour cherries, tangy and fresh with just a hint of sweetness. This kriek is quite tart and sour, not as mouth-puckering as Cantillon's framboise, but crisp and refreshing. There's no cloying, saccharine sweetness here, just the sourness of the cherries perfectly complementing the tartness of the beer. The lambic must isn't as present here as in the nose, but it's detectable in the finish, which is clean and leaves a lingering sourness. The mouthfeel too, is clean. Medium carbonation, but enough to cleanse the mouth of some of the puckering tartness.

I tried this with some good chocolate brownies, which it balanced quite nicely. It would go well with any chocolate dessert, or a rich cheesecake. Maybe even a cherry sundae.

atozymurgy, Aug 06, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

2001 bottle, served in a sniffer glass. Pours out a bright red color with a surprising head. Nose is quite tart, moderately funky with a light cheese-like note. Incredibly sour taste, quite piquant; good cherry flavor, though without the slightest hint of sweetness I didn't identify it as such for a moment; metallic, coppery taste with hints of musty, wet soil. Bone dry, acidic finish that lingers long after the last taste. Body is thin, with a puckering, quite tannic texture.

Quite a treat! I'd been saving this in my fridge for the past 3 years, and presented it at the 2006 Dallas BA tasting. Unfortunately, it wasn't to everyone's taste and I ended up drinking most of the bottle myself. Hmm, or make that "quite fortunately".

allengarvin, Aug 06, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Vintage 1997
375ml corked and capped bottle.

Lively pour reveals a lush, clear, reddish body, and a thick, frothy, pink head.
Foam cap slowly recedes to a full surface coating with raised edges.
A fine column of meandering bubbles ascend relentlessly from the base of the tulip glass.
Aromatics are largely acidic-laced dried cherries and funk.
A delicious and complex balance of fruit, cheese rind, wet leather, mold-dusted cedar boards, mustard greens, and horsestalls.
Thin to medium bodied, puckering and crisp, with a slight residual.
Pallet is also largely acidic and sour, almost to the point of being sharp.
Somewhat subdued cherry essense is not missed, and blends well with the tart, lemony, and sherry vinegar base.
Authentic to the point of a jowel-watering testamony, and exceedingly complex at the nine year old mark.
Finishes puckeringly, with a fading cherry wave, and prickly on the back of the throat.

brewandbbq, Jul 12, 2006