Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 664 | Hads: 2,110
3.84/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours out a crimson red, which glints in the light. Some slight bubbles of gas explode out of the top of the liquid and create a slight trace around the edges. A head... no. Not at all. Boy the colour is amazing though.

Very tart aroma. The cherry is very minimal. Only hints of sour cherry. Otherwise it smells like a dull Guezue.

Very sour and tart, with sour cherrys to finish in the back of the palate. Very much like drinking a champagne more then anything.

Not what I was expecting. I thought this would be a touch sweeter, and the cherry flavours more predominant, but it's like a dumb down guezue. Mild body, with really sour puckering flavours. Quite drinkable and refreshing, and very nice for some different to the norm. (734 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

2001 vintage
750ml bottle

Another old vintage Cantillon I was fortunate enough to taste at a small beer gathering. Pours a hazy reddish color. The aroma is oak and cherries with a bit of sour funk. Very pleasant aroma for sure! The taste is sour with oak and cherries with a dry finish. Another great lambic from Cantillon, those guys who brew this stuff definitely know what they are doing, it is definitely an art form. (422 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Strawberry Kool-Aid red, with a fizzy pink head that dissipates quickly. Slightly cloudy. No visible carbonation.

S: Pungent tart cherry smell, with lots of funkiness (kind of tuna-y, lol). Hints of sweeter fruits like raspberry, but mostly a strong, sour cherry smell.

T: Holy crap, sour. Really, really sour - reminiscent of those Warheads candies of my adolescence. After getting my palate (sort of) adapted to dealing with this level of sourness in a beer, I'm able to pick up a pretty strong salty overtone, as well as the actual tangy cherry taste, which leaves a sweet aftertaste. This is pretty overwhelming on first sip, though. The more I drink, the more I like it, but this being my first Cantillon, it's taking some getting used to.

M: Good, especially for a lambic. Nice and refreshing, with a prickle of carbonation as it goes down. Definitely none of the cloying sweetness some other lambics have.

D: Now that I'm used to it, I could drink this all day. It's definitely serving me well as a pre-class beer this summer afternoon.

I'm looking forward to trying some other Cantillon offerings. It's definitely a unique taste that I think probably requires some further experience to be really appreciated. (1,225 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%

Green bottle from The Lighthouse in Manchester. Pours a slightly hazy bright red with a thin film of pink head. Smells fruity and acidic with hints of malt. Tastes initially sweet and fruity, slightly malty, and very sour. Pretty light in body, fairly aqueous, and light in carbonation. Takes a little getting used to, but after a few sips, brilliantly sour, subtly complex, and very enjoyable indeed. I'm hooked. (413 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.8%

Always excited to try new Cantillons. Just one of the few truly unique beers out there. Bottling date: 02/2007. Into the Ommegang goblet.

A - Dark amber body, with light pink body. Attractive.

S - Wonderful funk already. Mulberry and intense cherry notes. Nice.

T - Sharp acidity dominates, light black cherry sweetness is underneath, with a nice subtle angle food cake sweetness. Very satisfying and intense.

M - Fuller than I expected, nice and crisp.

D - Man, if you are going to drink a lambic, you got to do it right. This is the best Kriek I've had, not for everyone for sure, but my favorate. (604 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottled 03 Sept 2007
12 oz Bottle

A_Poured a fruit punch style red with a small slightly pink head. This dissipated quickly into a fine cap to the slightly murky brew.

S_The odour poured out even as the cork is pulled from the bottle. A funky, musty smell competes with a sweet ripe red cherry scent.

T_Mouth puckeringly sour and a bit salty at first. This is followed by good funky wet barnyard and then more pucker. The cherry shines through in the follow through and manages to balance out the sour to some degree. Still the funk and the sour are ruling the roost as the cherry is more of an side player. As it warms a copper metallic quality rears its head as well.

M_Light and refreshing with a light low carbonation.

D_Very well done. I am getting more and more into the sours and this one delivers. The slight hint of fruit does make this more approachable as compared to the straight lambics and guezes. This doesn't mean that this is a sweet brew by any means. If you are looking for a sour funk, look no further. (1,028 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

$15 750ml bottle 2007 vintage. The cork looked like it was starting to mold which was slightly bothersome...I chilled the bottle and then let it breathe for half an hour as the label suggested. The couple sniffs i took from the bottle as it warmed were sour cherries as to be expected. It looks like pink juice?!? It smells like sour cherry juice and then must. It has an earthy taste that at first seems less sour than expected and the aftertaste kicks in. This has a real nice sour kick and the cherry flavor is subtle. This is actually seems very drinkable despite the sour kick but then the acidity gets to me. This almost reminds me of the lik-a-stik candy from back in the day.

update - 08/15/09 375ml bottle 02/26/2008 bottling date

This is good but doesn't hurt my stomach like the previous bottle seemed to but that could be due to the difference in size. It has a good sourness and is like a sour pixie stick, cherries, musty, not a lot of funk. This is a good kriek but the lou pepe is much better. (1,011 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

2004 vintage..

an absolutely stunning day here in the lovely garden state (stop snickering).. a day deserving of a nice bottle to top off a day of work work work.

eyes...
this pours like many a cantillon, flat and it looks like fruit punch, murky hawaiin punch, the carbonation is sneaky as it streams up the side and feeds a micro o-ring. these are not usually spectacular looking brews, especially cantillon from my experience but this is fine looking.

nose...
for a second I thought of rodenbach, then it got deeper... earthy rotten wood, not the kind you run across hiking the kind in an old house, sort of musty, cherries that run into bubble gum.. sourness courts your sense and entices a sip

taste etc...
first sip is bracing tart, almost saline.. ahh, cantillon. I can understand why a lot of people will never get their beers but if you liked sour patch kids you should be at home here, 4 years in the cellar and this sucker still delivers. the carbonation is the usual perfection from cantillon, so light and airy .. prickles just enough to carry across your mouth. This makes you salivate like a mad dog with all the crazy sourness abounding. once adjusted to the sour you get the cherry notes clear, and they dominate for about 2-3 seconds fading off into sourness/bitterness/salivation... so damn refreshing, an amazing product. the body works as a nice light drinking thing but the flavor is so powerful it just strikes a balance. I could drink this all afternoon in the summer....

verdict?
superb. (1,517 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -20.3%

I have to admit that I have only been drinking so sour beer for about a year. Although I have not rated every beer I have consumed, I have had over 15 different sour beers and this was no where near the top.

It poured okay. It was a typical, flat, headless pour. It looked like a cloudy 50/50 tomato/water mix.

The first scent was a bit chemically but the chemical smell faded as the buzz intensified. Not sure if it really left or if I lost the ability to smell.

The taste was okay. It did have a nice strong sour taste with a tangy, sweet aftertaste.

It had a typical mouthfeel. Good but nothing special.

I probably won't buy this beer again but would drink it if given to me. (684 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

I am a big fan of the sour beers, so I thought I would give this one a shot last night, as I have been fairly impressed with everything that Cantillon has done in the past, well everything I have gotten to taste anyway. A 2007 vintage, corked and capped bottle that I let chill for a few days and poured into an oversized wine glass and let warm up a bit before indulging.

Appearance - The pour was a touch underwhelming for me, as I expected it took look a little fuller then it did. A rich cherry red, essentially like a cool-aid color came before me. Extremely opaque due to the cloudiness and the haze that was inside, it was still very bright though. No head formed at all, none, not even from the first drops that hit the glass. No side glass presentation at all, and this had me a little worried, though the color alone was really quite nice.

Smell - The aroma was huge on this one. Rich, tart cherries were all over thee place. I swear you could smell this one from across the room. No hint of sweetness here at all, this was all sour. Lots of yeast playing tricks, jumping back and forth from cherries, to raspberries and back. Very big and complex.

Taste - The flavor was extremely acidic, with no hope of a balance of sweetness here at all. This had to be one of the most sour beers I have ever tried in my life. A really interesting drink indeed. Had to let it warm up a bit to fully appreciate what was going on here. A full on sour yeast attack. Some hints of cherries, but they were mostly lost with the initial flavor. Very acidic. The finish was much better with a long lasting sour cherry flavor and a very nice sense of fruit on the tongue.

Mouthfeel - Very light and with very little carbonation would be the best way to describe how this one would come across. I was expecting a little more carbonation in it then what I received, however it was by no means dead or flat in anyway.

Drinkability - A mixed bag here, as the huge amount of sour made it hard to stomach large quantities of it, however, it was light enough and had virtually no ABV, so it made it much easier to put down. Had it been a little less acidic it would have been much more drinkable.

Overall, it was an interesting experience. A little too sour and unbalanced for my taste, but it was still very good nonetheless. I would definitely try this one again, just maybe an aged version. I like the Lou Pepe much better though overall. (2,428 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -36.3%

Perhaps I am just not use to a lambic quite like this one.

A: Deep purplish red with very small and quickly disappearing head. Looks like a fruit punch.

S: Sour cherries and yeast not much else but what would you expect from a lambic.

T: As it enters the mouth a quick and sudden urge to puke overwhelmed me but the after taste was much better leaving a faint taste of sour cherry on the breath.

M: Light carbonation and feels like you're drinking a spiked fruit punch.

D: The taste drastically hurts the drinkability but if it was not for that I would say it would be better. (581 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -29.4%

750ml bottle, bottled last year. Bright, circus red with very little head. The smell is sour, sour sour. A little like dirty socks soaked in cherry juice. The taste is puckering at first, but it mellows a bit as you get used to it. It finishes with a nice warm sour cherry taste, but wow...that start. The mouthfeel is soft, buttery, silky and just terrific. The drinkability is just severly limited by the sourness. Definitely a beer to have on a full stomach. On an empty one, it is so sour I just can't push through. I'd have to say this is one I admire the artistry but the art just don't do it for me. (606 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer pours a pinkish red hue with good white head that dissipates pretty quickly. Nose is of sour tart cherries and lambic. Taste follows with tart cherry flavors and a very nice sour pucker. as it warms it gets easier to drink, and the cherry flavors come out a little more. Mouthfeel is nice, drinkability is very good for as sour as it is. I growing to like these sour beers more and more. This one was pretty delicious. (428 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this into a Bordeaux wine glass from a 750ml bottle.

A - Deep, vibrant red - like cranberry juice. Slight head that fades quickly and leaves a faint ring.

S - Tart and sour with a cheery background with that famous funk in the background that is more noticeable after a swirld around the glass (I hate that word - it makes it sound negative!).

T - Very tart and sour, with a delicate and slight cherry taste. This is not a sweet kriek. Leaves a tart aftertaste as well, that makes you want to taker another sip. Delicious.

M - Light and sparkly, with carbonation that sticks to the the tongue for a few seconds. Only slightly dry.

D - An outstanding drink, for those who enjoy the bitter and sour taste that Cantillon does so well. This is not for those who like their lambics sweet. (797 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1%

2006 vintage

a - pours an earthy red color, not much of a head, very slight white foam, no lacing, hazy

s - tart cherry and some funk dominate the nose, some leather as well

t - big cherry-flavored tartness up front right down the middle of the tongue that subsequently explodes and engulfs the entire mouth, tartness and sourness is quite strong, finish has notes of leather and funk along with the tartness, and last for quite awhile, the tartness really dominates the beer with the funk being very much a secondary flavor, very crisp

m - lots of carbonation, light-bodied but in a good way, quite dry on the finish

d - the intense flavors and tartness limit this to being a sipper, but I love it and will have no problem finishing the bottle, very refreshing

Excellent lambic...one of the better ones I've had during my recent sour beer kick. I'd put this just below the Oud Beersel Kriek if I had to rank them. (920 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

750 ml corked and capped bottle, bottled on August 28, 2007. Served in a snifter, the beer pours purple/red with no head or lacing at all. Aroma is tart cherries, funk, and yeast. Taste is the same as the aroma, however the taste is stronger than is smells. It has a pretty good tart/sour cherry taste that lingers around for a while. Mouthfeel/body is medium with light carbonation and a dry finish. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and easy to drink (well, if you like the sourness in the beer). I think this is a good overall beer. It's just my second Cantillon beer, and I haven't been disappointed in them yet. I can't wait to try more of their stuff. (657 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -18.4%

Bottle: sampled at the brewery in Brussels. Poured a pink colored beer with great carbonation and a good head. Aroma is a mix between the raspberry and the Cantillon yeast. Taste is a bit deceiving since it is too much acidic that it kills the rest of the flavours, the raspberry are buried under the acidic tones. I believe that some other lambic -fruit a better balanced then this one and offer a better refreshing taste. (423 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Vintage 2006.

Poured an translucent and hazy red with a small off-white head.

The aroma was of full brettanomyces barnyard funk, lactic acid, and faint tart cherries in the background.

The flavor was intensely tart and acidic. It had all the great tight and clean funk that makes Cantillon beers my favorite amongst the sours. The cherry flavor was very subdued and in the background, not nearly as pronounced as in Lou Pepe. The beer had a clean biscuity and wheaty malt backbone (very subtle, but nice).

The carbonation was ha touch low on this bottle and the mouthfeel was light.

This beer was incredibly refreshing, as are all Cantillons, and extremely drinkable.

A great go-to lambic that's relatively inexpensive and accessable. (740 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -26.5%

12.7 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions for seven dollars, split with my girlfriend this evening while finishing up American Gangster

A-Red color that resembled my tee shirt, barely any head but the one that was there was incredibly bubbly, no retention or lacing, went flat fast

S-Sour cherries, funk, vinegar, hay, other tarty fruits that could not be distinguished, hint of raspberries, and citric acid

T-The puckering effect was a bit overwhelming, cherries were too sour in my opinion, very vinegar-like and acidic, funky yeast in the middle, and a wine-like dry finish, needs some sweetness or more malt to balance it out, too funky for me

M-Tarty mouthfeel, thin body, more carbonation that there appeared to be, thin body, no taste really lasted after the initial sour bite

D-Could not drink much more than a bottle of this probably, only had two to three ounces and still was a little too much for me, heavy but low ABV

Not overly impressed with this but still not bad, first Kriek ever tasted, would like to try another vintage of this and see if it gets better with any age, recommended for fans of sour ales, this was not so much of a lambic in my opinion (1,184 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

RB

375 ml capped and corked green champagne bottle picked up at Bottleworks in September for $7... aged in my cellar until tonight. Poured into a crystal champagne flute. I corked this bottle and let it sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes.

Short lasting lite pink head above an absolutely beautiful pink/lite orange brew. Reminds me of a very very pink champagne without all the bubbles.

I honesty don't even know where to begin on the aroma.. I haven't had a proper world class lambic in years. Musky cherries .. a little almond? I think I finally know what "horse blanket" means ... lite leathery whiffs ... Wow.. not even close to some of the Lambic-pops I've had in the last couple of years.

Flavor ... OMG this is awesome ... Now I really know what "horse blanket" means ... Cherries are maybe a little bit in the background, but what do I know? Did this sit in the basement for too long?.. very possibly. Funkadelic with sour (but not acetic) flavors linger forever... again almonds. Huge complexity but you must obviously be fan of sour and something new. Nearly bone dry.. but the lack of sugar really makes everything run like a clock... fairly mouth-drying, but I like ... I like alot... the sourness sorta proactively sucks saliva from my body.

I would never in a million years give a sip of this brew to somebody who didn't know what they were getting into .. I wouldn't want to waste a sip .. That said, I sorta had an idea about lambics, and damn glad I took the time.... Now the damned distributers around Boise need to get these in alot more regularly.

The only reason I decided to try this beer tonight was because I was able to score a 750 bottle of the Cantillon Kriek over the weekend at Erickson's for $10... Fantastic for sure. (1,764 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured a pinkish red with a half inch head. You cold smell the sourness and a bit of the cherry fruitiness. Taste was very good which was nice and refreshing with the cherry flavor coming through at the end. The cherry flavor is not overpowering at all. This is a better summertime beer but it still was very enjoyable. (319 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a garnet hue with no head. Nose is a smooth and not overpowering musty. Flavor is slightly sour, but not a punch in the mouth. It will get much more sour if you let it warm significantly. Firm, yet mature, kriek attributes slide over your tongue. Feel is as expected. Little bubble on the tongue and a smooth overall character. Damn drinkable. Smooth and not as abrasive as other lambics might seem to be to a rookie. Worth the shot. (439 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +6%

Pours with no head, a little cloudy and a deep red. Let it warm from 50 F at r.t. for 0.5h like the bottle says. It smells delicious, sour and super funkadellic! Heaven in a red liquid package. The taste is out of this world, complex and earthy at the front finishing with a sour kick. It fills the pallet completely not lacking any body.
This is a good one, I think this is one great beer but not for everyone. (411 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours barely any head and has a beautiful bright red color, it's fairly clear with a little haze to it. Little to no pink head. Cork says bottled in 2005. Smell is tart and sour with some light cherry flavor, pretty mellow smell for a lambic. Taste is sour and mellow, the only thing that gives me an idea that there are cherries would be tartness. Like a really sour cherry. The sour wild yeast is very mellow, but I guess I started out with some big sour lambics and got used to that. Mouthfeel is very nice and smooth with very little acidity. Overall I think this is pretty drinkable, if I was a well-off Belgian or east coast man I would drink this a lot. (660 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a white wine glass.

A: A rosy red color with absolutely no head.

S: Tart cherries with the faint hint of musky and funky yeast.

T: The overwhelming taste of puckering tart and sour cherries dominate the palate. The funky yeast is always in the background.

M: Very little carbonation along with a thin body.

D: Not very drinkable at all, I didn't even finish the bottle. I guess that lambic is an acquired taste and I have yet to acquire it. (479 characters)

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon