Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 680 | Hads: 2,191
4.04/5  rDev -4.7%

I am a big fan of the sour beers, so I thought I would give this one a shot last night, as I have been fairly impressed with everything that Cantillon has done in the past, well everything I have gotten to taste anyway. A 2007 vintage, corked and capped bottle that I let chill for a few days and poured into an oversized wine glass and let warm up a bit before indulging.

Appearance - The pour was a touch underwhelming for me, as I expected it took look a little fuller then it did. A rich cherry red, essentially like a cool-aid color came before me. Extremely opaque due to the cloudiness and the haze that was inside, it was still very bright though. No head formed at all, none, not even from the first drops that hit the glass. No side glass presentation at all, and this had me a little worried, though the color alone was really quite nice.

Smell - The aroma was huge on this one. Rich, tart cherries were all over thee place. I swear you could smell this one from across the room. No hint of sweetness here at all, this was all sour. Lots of yeast playing tricks, jumping back and forth from cherries, to raspberries and back. Very big and complex.

Taste - The flavor was extremely acidic, with no hope of a balance of sweetness here at all. This had to be one of the most sour beers I have ever tried in my life. A really interesting drink indeed. Had to let it warm up a bit to fully appreciate what was going on here. A full on sour yeast attack. Some hints of cherries, but they were mostly lost with the initial flavor. Very acidic. The finish was much better with a long lasting sour cherry flavor and a very nice sense of fruit on the tongue.

Mouthfeel - Very light and with very little carbonation would be the best way to describe how this one would come across. I was expecting a little more carbonation in it then what I received, however it was by no means dead or flat in anyway.

Drinkability - A mixed bag here, as the huge amount of sour made it hard to stomach large quantities of it, however, it was light enough and had virtually no ABV, so it made it much easier to put down. Had it been a little less acidic it would have been much more drinkable.

Overall, it was an interesting experience. A little too sour and unbalanced for my taste, but it was still very good nonetheless. I would definitely try this one again, just maybe an aged version. I like the Lou Pepe much better though overall.

2.67/5  rDev -37%

Perhaps I am just not use to a lambic quite like this one.

A: Deep purplish red with very small and quickly disappearing head. Looks like a fruit punch.

S: Sour cherries and yeast not much else but what would you expect from a lambic.

T: As it enters the mouth a quick and sudden urge to puke overwhelmed me but the after taste was much better leaving a faint taste of sour cherry on the breath.

M: Light carbonation and feels like you're drinking a spiked fruit punch.

D: The taste drastically hurts the drinkability but if it was not for that I would say it would be better.

2.96/5  rDev -30.2%

750ml bottle, bottled last year. Bright, circus red with very little head. The smell is sour, sour sour. A little like dirty socks soaked in cherry juice. The taste is puckering at first, but it mellows a bit as you get used to it. It finishes with a nice warm sour cherry taste, but wow...that start. The mouthfeel is soft, buttery, silky and just terrific. The drinkability is just severly limited by the sourness. Definitely a beer to have on a full stomach. On an empty one, it is so sour I just can't push through. I'd have to say this is one I admire the artistry but the art just don't do it for me.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

This beer pours a pinkish red hue with good white head that dissipates pretty quickly. Nose is of sour tart cherries and lambic. Taste follows with tart cherry flavors and a very nice sour pucker. as it warms it gets easier to drink, and the cherry flavors come out a little more. Mouthfeel is nice, drinkability is very good for as sour as it is. I growing to like these sour beers more and more. This one was pretty delicious.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this into a Bordeaux wine glass from a 750ml bottle.

A - Deep, vibrant red - like cranberry juice. Slight head that fades quickly and leaves a faint ring.

S - Tart and sour with a cheery background with that famous funk in the background that is more noticeable after a swirld around the glass (I hate that word - it makes it sound negative!).

T - Very tart and sour, with a delicate and slight cherry taste. This is not a sweet kriek. Leaves a tart aftertaste as well, that makes you want to taker another sip. Delicious.

M - Light and sparkly, with carbonation that sticks to the the tongue for a few seconds. Only slightly dry.

D - An outstanding drink, for those who enjoy the bitter and sour taste that Cantillon does so well. This is not for those who like their lambics sweet.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

2006 vintage

a - pours an earthy red color, not much of a head, very slight white foam, no lacing, hazy

s - tart cherry and some funk dominate the nose, some leather as well

t - big cherry-flavored tartness up front right down the middle of the tongue that subsequently explodes and engulfs the entire mouth, tartness and sourness is quite strong, finish has notes of leather and funk along with the tartness, and last for quite awhile, the tartness really dominates the beer with the funk being very much a secondary flavor, very crisp

m - lots of carbonation, light-bodied but in a good way, quite dry on the finish

d - the intense flavors and tartness limit this to being a sipper, but I love it and will have no problem finishing the bottle, very refreshing

Excellent lambic...one of the better ones I've had during my recent sour beer kick. I'd put this just below the Oud Beersel Kriek if I had to rank them.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

750 ml corked and capped bottle, bottled on August 28, 2007. Served in a snifter, the beer pours purple/red with no head or lacing at all. Aroma is tart cherries, funk, and yeast. Taste is the same as the aroma, however the taste is stronger than is smells. It has a pretty good tart/sour cherry taste that lingers around for a while. Mouthfeel/body is medium with light carbonation and a dry finish. Drinkability is good, it's smooth and easy to drink (well, if you like the sourness in the beer). I think this is a good overall beer. It's just my second Cantillon beer, and I haven't been disappointed in them yet. I can't wait to try more of their stuff.

3.42/5  rDev -19.3%

Bottle: sampled at the brewery in Brussels. Poured a pink colored beer with great carbonation and a good head. Aroma is a mix between the raspberry and the Cantillon yeast. Taste is a bit deceiving since it is too much acidic that it kills the rest of the flavours, the raspberry are buried under the acidic tones. I believe that some other lambic -fruit a better balanced then this one and offer a better refreshing taste.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Vintage 2006.

Poured an translucent and hazy red with a small off-white head.

The aroma was of full brettanomyces barnyard funk, lactic acid, and faint tart cherries in the background.

The flavor was intensely tart and acidic. It had all the great tight and clean funk that makes Cantillon beers my favorite amongst the sours. The cherry flavor was very subdued and in the background, not nearly as pronounced as in Lou Pepe. The beer had a clean biscuity and wheaty malt backbone (very subtle, but nice).

The carbonation was ha touch low on this bottle and the mouthfeel was light.

This beer was incredibly refreshing, as are all Cantillons, and extremely drinkable.

A great go-to lambic that's relatively inexpensive and accessable.

3.08/5  rDev -27.4%

12.7 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions for seven dollars, split with my girlfriend this evening while finishing up American Gangster

A-Red color that resembled my tee shirt, barely any head but the one that was there was incredibly bubbly, no retention or lacing, went flat fast

S-Sour cherries, funk, vinegar, hay, other tarty fruits that could not be distinguished, hint of raspberries, and citric acid

T-The puckering effect was a bit overwhelming, cherries were too sour in my opinion, very vinegar-like and acidic, funky yeast in the middle, and a wine-like dry finish, needs some sweetness or more malt to balance it out, too funky for me

M-Tarty mouthfeel, thin body, more carbonation that there appeared to be, thin body, no taste really lasted after the initial sour bite

D-Could not drink much more than a bottle of this probably, only had two to three ounces and still was a little too much for me, heavy but low ABV

Not overly impressed with this but still not bad, first Kriek ever tasted, would like to try another vintage of this and see if it gets better with any age, recommended for fans of sour ales, this was not so much of a lambic in my opinion

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

375 ml capped and corked green champagne bottle picked up at Bottleworks in September for $7... aged in my cellar until tonight. Poured into a crystal champagne flute. I corked this bottle and let it sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes.

Short lasting lite pink head above an absolutely beautiful pink/lite orange brew. Reminds me of a very very pink champagne without all the bubbles.

I honesty don't even know where to begin on the aroma.. I haven't had a proper world class lambic in years. Musky cherries .. a little almond? I think I finally know what "horse blanket" means ... lite leathery whiffs ... Wow.. not even close to some of the Lambic-pops I've had in the last couple of years.

Flavor ... OMG this is awesome ... Now I really know what "horse blanket" means ... Cherries are maybe a little bit in the background, but what do I know? Did this sit in the basement for too long?.. very possibly. Funkadelic with sour (but not acetic) flavors linger forever... again almonds. Huge complexity but you must obviously be fan of sour and something new. Nearly bone dry.. but the lack of sugar really makes everything run like a clock... fairly mouth-drying, but I like ... I like alot... the sourness sorta proactively sucks saliva from my body.

I would never in a million years give a sip of this brew to somebody who didn't know what they were getting into .. I wouldn't want to waste a sip .. That said, I sorta had an idea about lambics, and damn glad I took the time.... Now the damned distributers around Boise need to get these in alot more regularly.

The only reason I decided to try this beer tonight was because I was able to score a 750 bottle of the Cantillon Kriek over the weekend at Erickson's for $10... Fantastic for sure.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a pinkish red with a half inch head. You cold smell the sourness and a bit of the cherry fruitiness. Taste was very good which was nice and refreshing with the cherry flavor coming through at the end. The cherry flavor is not overpowering at all. This is a better summertime beer but it still was very enjoyable.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a garnet hue with no head. Nose is a smooth and not overpowering musty. Flavor is slightly sour, but not a punch in the mouth. It will get much more sour if you let it warm significantly. Firm, yet mature, kriek attributes slide over your tongue. Feel is as expected. Little bubble on the tongue and a smooth overall character. Damn drinkable. Smooth and not as abrasive as other lambics might seem to be to a rookie. Worth the shot.

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours with no head, a little cloudy and a deep red. Let it warm from 50 F at r.t. for 0.5h like the bottle says. It smells delicious, sour and super funkadellic! Heaven in a red liquid package. The taste is out of this world, complex and earthy at the front finishing with a sour kick. It fills the pallet completely not lacking any body.
This is a good one, I think this is one great beer but not for everyone.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours barely any head and has a beautiful bright red color, it's fairly clear with a little haze to it. Little to no pink head. Cork says bottled in 2005. Smell is tart and sour with some light cherry flavor, pretty mellow smell for a lambic. Taste is sour and mellow, the only thing that gives me an idea that there are cherries would be tartness. Like a really sour cherry. The sour wild yeast is very mellow, but I guess I started out with some big sour lambics and got used to that. Mouthfeel is very nice and smooth with very little acidity. Overall I think this is pretty drinkable, if I was a well-off Belgian or east coast man I would drink this a lot.

3.25/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a white wine glass.

A: A rosy red color with absolutely no head.

S: Tart cherries with the faint hint of musky and funky yeast.

T: The overwhelming taste of puckering tart and sour cherries dominate the palate. The funky yeast is always in the background.

M: Very little carbonation along with a thin body.

D: Not very drinkable at all, I didn't even finish the bottle. I guess that lambic is an acquired taste and I have yet to acquire it.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Beer bottle (37,5cl), tasted in 2002.
Appearance: A red fairly clear, fine foam, not saturated.
Taste: perfectly balanced mixture of (relative) sweetness and acidity, strong lavour taste compared to other not tradotional krieks.
Drinkability: Excellent kriek lambic, no sweet, ideally flavoured.

Review added 10-27-2007, translated from french 1-31-2008.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Pours a dark blush with a pinkish white head that spritzes to the top before dying out quickly. Settles out to be a nice raspberry pink.

S: Has a tart berry odor backed with some whiffs of sour haystack.

T: TART! Mouth pukeringly tart on the first swallow. The following sips ease off of the squinting and allows some of the dry fruit character out to play. The sour cherries segue into a grassy leather and tobacco mouth. Spot on.

M: This thing is dry and light. Thin mouthfeel with little carbonation keep it from coming too close to a sour sparkling wine.

D: This is not a session beer, or even something I could do one a night of. But, it is a very special treat I love to enjoy every time I can get my hands on it.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle purchased for $5.99 on 10-5-7 at Orenco New Seasons.

Corked and crowned. The cork is dry and somewhat flaky, preventing the screw from getting a firm grip. So I ran some water on it and it came out just fine the second time around. The cork states that this was bottled in 2006.

Inviting funky wild yeast aromas waft out of the bottle upon opening. Pours a deep ruby color with a small light pink head that disappears quickly. The aroma provokes my salivary glands to jump into 5th gear. Like all Cantillon's offerings, this beer is alive and vibrant. The aroma is deliciously funky with cherries, yeast and general barnyard mustiness. The first taste is expectedly extremely tart. Just an orgy of sour goodness and happy taste buds. In the aftertaste you really pick up the cherries, pits and all. This is very dry with little to no sweetness. With each sip, the tongue builds up a tolerance for the tartness and is more and more able to perceive all the subtle nuances of this fine lambic. Tough to describe, but just know that there is a lot of depth here. The cherry flavor is equally as well rounded as the sourness and they contribute greatly to one another. The carbonation is light on the tongue and provides a nice bite upon swallowing. Overall, this is an excellent beer that I'm sure I will enjoy many more of as long as it's available.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

this beer poured a deep red color with a fairly small short lived head. The smell was sweet and carried strong overtones of yeast and cherries. The flavor began almost unbearably sour however over the course of the bottle the flavor grew on me and this sourness diminished a lot. The flavor was full of cherries and cherry skins giving it a mildly bitter finish. also in the flavor were hints of apple and pear juice. Overall it was too sour for me to easily drink, however the flavor was very full and complex.

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Had a small bottle of the 2006 vintage this past weekend. Poured it into my Cantillon tulip glass I purchased at the brewery when I visited in spring 2007. Pours a pinkish red color with little-to-no carbonation. The taste was prickly to the point of being very sour. I don't remember this kriek being so powerful on the taste buds. But that's what I like about Cantillon: lambics that taste how they should. Instead of sweet, this taste tells you that you are drinking a lambic. I would not recommend this to the first time taster, but for a lambic lover, Cantillon makes the best on the market.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

(Served in an inverted pear shaped chalice)

A- This beer has a warm glowing ruby red densely hazy body with a white head of large bubbles that fades to a thin ring of white foam. The beer is a bit too dense to see any carbonation.

S- This beer has a bright smell of wet leaves and musty but bright cherry notes. There is a note of dry prunes and a cola and cheese note which is nice.

T- This beer has a bright tart cherry note with a dry yet jam note to the cherries. The finish has a nice grapefruit tartness after the sip is finished.

M- The light mouthfeel has a thick texture quality in the finish and a light dry pucker that hangs on after each sip.

D- This beer has a very bright tart cherry flavor with a good tartness. I find the flavor bright and bold but it has a nice flavor that is very drinkable. The cherries really come through with the wild yeast qualities, more than some kriek beers that have the wild flavors dominate the cherry notes.

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%

A: plum ruby red, with no real head, just a crown.

S: musty books, lots of sour fruits,

T: fantastically sour and citric, fruitful!. Lots of cherry flavours, starting out with a nice sweetness, but the refreshing spritzy tartness takes over.

M: spritzy and dry

D: This is my first lambic, didnt expect it to be quite so sour, i could see me enjoying this in the height of summer tho, does become very refreshing as you get used to it, i enjoyed it overall but like i say, i think ill leave this one for the summer months.

4.62/5  rDev +9%

12 oz bottle
Bottled in 2001

A: Pours a reddish-pink color with a not a head, per se, but lots of big bubbles. No lacing, just a frothy ring around the tulip.

S: Typical musty Belgian funk smell with a mild fruityness. Slightly medicinal smelling, but not in a bad way.

T: Very tart as expected. Strong cherry taste, but not so much as to overpowering that wonderful lambic dirty sock taste. Also a prominent citric flavor.

M: Medium-bodied with high carbonation. A dry and slightly chalky texture.

D: Excellent if you like intense lambics. The taste of course makes this an occasional beer, and one only drank in small quantities. Very good, and worth the price tag.

3.66/5  rDev -13.7%

pours a dark pink, not quite red. Into a snifter, little head due to pour. smelled pretty bad to be honest, sour infiltration of my nose. first taste is a shock to the senses, tingle in the back of my jaw. surprisingly smooth mouthfeel, i thought it would be more of a sting. overall drinkibility is ok, good to try. a true sour good tasting kriek lambic.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon