Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 680 | Hads: 2,191
4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

2004 vintage.

Pouring this beer produces a light, fizzy head that quickly leaves. The body is a rich, ruby-red hue with excellent clarity. There a many, tiny bubbles that are almost held in suspension.

A light aroma of tart cherries tingle the nose from the start. Soon after, the complexity of this lambic shines through. A typical lambic sharpness is joined by notes of smoke, tobacco, beef and lingering sugars. Excellent complexity.

An aburpt burst of sharp cherries start this lambic with a bang. The acidic content is quite potent, yet very well balanced. As the acids drop, notes of faint chocolates and mild tobacco grace the tongue. The finish is very dry and incredibly clean.

The mouthfeel is lively with plenty of perceived caronation and a balanced acidity.

Drinkability is good and small sips are the key. This is a delicate lambic best enjoyed at a relaxed pace.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Cantillon Kriek Lambic pours a pink foam which disappears almost
instantly over a deep ruby brew. The nose is a little funky- there's
sour fruit and a bit of oak in it. The flavor is very very tart cherry,
slightly salty, but after that big rush of sourness it's very smooth-
almost velvety. There are acidic citric notes as well. There's a very
dry finish with a lingering sourness which is really appetizing.
Really interesting stuff.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

ah to view the world through rose colored lambics I mean glasses....

A - soft rose colored red, a wisp of a head that quickly disappears
S - Ah, pungent sour cherries. exactly like I would expect real cherries to be like. No questions on artificial flavors or additives here.
T - Starting off with a strong ode to sour, mellowing out to a nice tart cherry and sweet malts flavor. Wonderfully balanced.
M - medium bodied, lightly carbonated, smooth and tingly
D - what a wonderful summer drink. Hot weather be damned, I have this beer!

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a thinned red cherry color, alomost like a blush wine, with a thin just off-white head and only spotty lacing in the deep red wine glassware. The nose is exceedingly rich, pungeant and full of ripened cherries mingled with the tell-tale "funk" of this spontaneously fermented treat. The palate is nothing short of mouth-puckering, shivering goodness. The cherries burst forth in all of their tart glory here and never let up. This one is NOT one of those soda pop style lambics you can get anywhere ... this is the real deal and my face is contorting to prove it. The moutfeel is slightly biting, acidic and finishes quite dry. A wonderous journey into lambic excellence. Be warned, though ... this isn't a beer for everyone. Like sucking on lemons ...? You might be able to handle this beer. Terrific Belgian brew, froma terrific Belgian brewery!

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottled in 2005

Pours out a bright, vibrant rose with effervescent carbonation a thinnish pink head and pock marks of bubbles left hanging on the glass. Has a musky sour aroma that stands out above the cherries. The cherry aroma mixes in the back with a pungent astringency in the nostrils. Oddly enough, I find that the cherries come out more if you just waft in the aromas rather than stick your nose in the glass. Harsh acidity hits the sides of the tongue firstly which is then followed by huge cherry flavors with their tartness accentuated by the lambic base. Finishes dry but with a hint of sweetness as the acid dies down. The aftertaste leaves only the oak and cherries that hints at some sweetness. Mouthfeel is light, but could use a bit more carbonation for my tastes. Interesting, refreshing, and challenging.

3.53/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In a word..SOUR. I’m a big fan of Flemish Sours, and have come to like the Lambics a lot on certain occassions, so the tartness of a beer does not bother me. However, I either got one past its prime, or this is meant to be over the top.

While it did feature a pleasant cherry aroma and flavor, these too were dampened by the tartness. That being said, the palate was a pleasant blend of the ultra-sour, followed closely by a sweet finish...both to an extreme.

All and all, this reminded me of some of those sour kid’s candies I’ve hd, where your mouth puckers up as you eat them, but for some reason, you come back for more. I’m sure I’ll be back for more of this in the future.

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%

5/11/2011: It's amazing what ~4 years of craft beer drinking can do to one's palate. 2010 500ml bottle allowed to breathe before being poured into a Delirium Tremens goblet.

Fleeting rosy-pink head atop a vibrant, blood-orange red body. Lots of carbonation still active, keeping a steady plume of bubbles filling the middle of the glass. Aroma is decadent, heavenly. Fresh cherry skins and tart berry vines backed by a touch of doughy malts. Leather, vinegar, and deliciousness. I could smell this all day.

Tart cherry rinds and acetic acid lash at the tongue with each sip, but it's a beautiful hurt. Finishes dry and tannic as the sourness clinches at the tastebuds. Body is light and zesty, but the bubbles could stand to be a little smaller as they roll across the palate and effervesce at the back of the throat. Overall, a fantastic Kriek; all I can do is laugh at my inexperienced review below.

5/19/2007: A-4.0, S-4.0, T-3.5, M-3.0, O-3.0; Score - 3.48

1 pt. 9.4 oz bottle allowed to breathe for 20 minutes, then poured into a wine glass.

Produces a gorgeous dark rose color that transitions to plum. A thin, rimmed off-white head recedes quickly and leaves minimal lacing. Aroma is both fruity and biscuity, reminding me of cherry pop-tarts. A spicy hop kick as well as a vanilla sweetness are also present.

Taste is very sour, like a batch of under-ripened raspberries or the tartiest cherry cobbler you could imagine. Mouthfeel is bitter/sour as well, and its dryness makes the tongue sweat. I have to say I was disappointed with this lambic. Its unbridled sour note limits its drinkability, and it's not exactly big on the cherries. Other, better kriek's are out there, and at ~$12 a bottle for cantillon, I'll be drinking them instead.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Ruby red with a brown hue. Pinkish head with abundant carbonation. Cherries, cherries and more cherries in the aroma. A bit sour smelling and a little funky, but this one kicks you right in the nostrils. This is what a lambic should smell like.

Right from the first drink, this one is sour and lip-puckering. Cherries out the ass, and into your glassware. Sour as can be while still remaining drinkable. Really, this is like Wisconsin Belgian Red on steroids. This is the Barry Bonds of lambic.

Nicely carbonated for this style. Although its very sour, every drink screams for another. An absolutely delicious beer that should be enjoyed amongst friends or lovahs.

4.09/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, looked like a small bottle of wine. The beer is ruby red. looked good except for no head at all. I'd have liked to see some pink froth on top...

The aroma is 100% sour lambic, maybe 98% sour lambic + 2% cherries. I expected more cherry in the smell, but actually I probably prefer it just the way it is. As for the taste, it's completely sour. My face actually puckered up several times through the bottle, it was so intensely acidic. The masochist in me liked it, but only just this once. I couldn't drink this too often, way too bracing.

Drinkability is good for the style, but you absolutely have to like sour beers to even finish the bottle.

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%

The head vanished incredibly quickly, but man is the color OUTSTANDING! Agorgeous murky raspberry, raw ruby color that I could just stare at if I didnt want to drink this thing so badly. It has even an almost watered down tomato juice color under strong light.

Now the scent... man can you smell the tartness, wow! Nice sour, pre-ripe cherry. Almost a cranberry scent, even... You can actually taste this just from inhaling.

The taste is almost sea salty. Very strongly sour on the tip, slightly mellower in the middle, but somehow you stay puckering the whole time and it becomes sour again. There's also a slight metal in there... somewhere between iron and copper.

I'm amazed I found this at a grocery store.

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Chicago. Perfect size for two and $7.99 I believe. Bottled in 2006.

Pours a very murky red, cranberry/raspberry juice coloured, fizzy pink head forms, disappears very fast, leaves a few lace spots. Smell is very intense, sharp sour note, very vinegary, intense acidity, nice cherry, oaky, more insane fruity acidity, you can smell this acidity! Taste smacks me good, insane sourness, I thought I had sour beers before this. Oaky cherry, almost saltiness, I find a bit weak on the finish, very acidic, attacks the tongue. Insane. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low-medium carbonation, very harsh, very enjoyable, neat experience. Good thing I have a few more Cantillons kicking around!

4.58/5  rDev +8%

My first Cantillon! Let's see what all the fuss is about.

A- Well, I must say, this is a gorgeous beer. Bright ruby with a nice, frothy pink head. Head dissipates a little quickly, though.

S- Acidic to the max. At first it seems like it's just sharp and acidic. Then, as my nose adjusts, some barnyard funk is evident. Finally the cherry comes in. In fact, I really only got the cherry when I pulled my nose away from the beer. It took a while before my nose adjusted to the point that I could really smell the cherry amongst all the other aromas.

T- Whoa, hello! This is some tart stuff right here! Mouth-puckering sourness overwhelms the tastebuds as the liquid hits the tongue. Sharp notes of vinegar, lemon juice and horsey funk are first, with a fantastic sour cherry flavor on the aftertaste. Intense! I thought my nose needed time to adjust; I'm not sure my taste buds can ever adjust to this stuff. Not that that's a bad thing. In fact, it's a great thing! I don't want this stuff to lose its edge. I like knowing what is coming on every sip and still being unprepared. Damn, this is good.

M- Medium-bodied and well carbonated. The mouthfeel is really the last thing on my mind when I'm drinking this beer, but when I concentrate on it I realize that it's because it complements the flavor so well. The carbonation is at the perfect level to accentuate the sourness.

D- Near perfection. The sourness limits the speed at which I can drink it, but certainly not the amount I can drink. I'm not sure one 750 ml bottle is enough.

This was certainly an eye-opener. Really the first authentic, traditional lambic I've tried, too. I was a little concerned going in that I shouldn't be jumping into the deep end right away, so to speak, but I thought, what the hell. And thank goodness I did! I see what all these hardcore lambic lovers are talking about now. I almost felt like I was punishing myself by drinking this stuff, but I couldn't put it down! I think this is a style I could really get into. I can't recommend this beer highly enough.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

I've been wanting to try this beer again since the last time I had it which was at least 9 months ago. Ordered a 12.7 oz bottle while at the Moan and Dove in Amherst, MA.

Pours a light red color with a small head consisting of larger-than-normal-beer bubbles. Very pleasant aroma with lots of cherry and not really much else I can put my finger on. The flavor is exceptional. There is nothing else like it to me. The extreme sourness is very enjoyable as it mixes with the fruit flavor. Mouthfeel takes a little bit to get used to, but I don't mind it at all. I think I would have no problem drinking a large quantity of this.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this style, and I consider myself a rookie in the world of lambics. The first time I tried this beer I hated it. The second time I liked it. And this time I loved it. Can't wait to try some other examples of the style.

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

pink red beer with next to no head, pretty par for the course though. the cork didn't pop when i pulled it out.
tart and funky smelling. with barnyard and hay aromas mingled with both unripe and ripe floral cherries. at times an almost tomato-y acidic aroma.
this is a murderously sour beer. the first sip is incredibly puckering, i'm sure i made a face. in a couple sips you become accustomed, and it become quite good, bombarding you with sour cherries, cranberries, and actually hints of watermelon at the finish as the other flavors trail off. tastes of spice now and again, especially at lower temperatures. not super complex, but tasty.
the carbonation level is near flat with only the slightest tingling to let you know it's carbonated. medium bodied.
a good tasting beer, but drinkability takes a little bit of a hit because of it's sourness, and slight lack of complexity may not keep you interested. certainly a good beer though, and something i'd buy again.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Drank from a corked 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA

Poured a brilliant, clear, glowing crimson with no head.

Aroma was typical of a lambic. Musty, funky, fairly sour and a touch earthy with some sour fruits hiding in the background.

Taste was very sour from start to finish. The beer started super sour and funky up front before some oaky notes appeared mid-palate. The long, puckeringly dry and acidic finish was quite sour as well with an earthy and oaky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was crisp, sparkly and heavily effervescent.

This is a very traditional lambic. It's not not refreshing (as the maker claims) nor is it something you would want to drink on a regular basis. However, it can serve as a nice aperitif, an accompaniment to salads or as a reduction in a variety of dishes.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

Cloudy rose colored beer with edges closer to pink. A very thin white colored head dissipated rapidly. Has is too rich to notice any carbonation. No lacing to speak of.

Very dry cherry aroma. Definitely has an aged quality expected in a lambic. Sour is the main theme of this beer. Not much in the way of hidden aromas, but a bit weak.

The taste assaults the mouth with a super hit of sourness. Cherry is clearly noticeable on the tongue through the tartness. As in the smell, uncomplicated but pleasant.

Extremely tingling effect on the tongue comes more from bitterness then from carbonation. Decent viscosity.

A very nice beer in the style. This one is a dessert beer unto itself. Truly not a lambic for the uninitiated. This one is not a beer to try and session, and best enjoyed in a smaller amount shared amongst friends.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

2003 bottling

the cork is popped, and gas comes rushing out of the bottle. the smell of belgian yeast creeps into the air. poured into a wine glass, a small crisp head forms on top of the bold red liquid, and then vanishes. each sip is like a bite of a cherry pie made from scratch -- sour natural cherries, plenty of yeasty funk, and minuscule amounts of spice to keep things balanced.
rugged on the tongue at first, and then expands into a smooth sweet nectar. this is what natural ingredients taste like.

3.19/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: A shiny reddish orange, I would consider it firey the head quickly dissipates.

Smell: It has the like the “funky” smell that the other Cantillon product I have tried has, I can smell the cherry but barely. Honestly, I do not love the smell of this beverage; perhaps my palette isn’t developed enough yet.

Taste: Tart, overwhelmingly tart. The cherries are defiantly there as is a little sweetness. The aftertaste is quite pleasing, and as I drink it the sourness becomes less overwhelming. As I drink the beer the acidity begins to become less of an issue, it is still pretty tart but I would classify it as acquired taste.

Mouthfeel: Very balanced, a nice light snap of carbonation. I do like the mouthfeel of the beer.

Drinkability: I am glad I only bought a 375 mL bottle, as I would most likely not be able to finish a full sized bottle alone. I really want to like this beer, and I think I need to get myself more used to the sheer tartness and review this one again.

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

This beer is much more Cantillon 100% Lambic than it is Kriek. The cherry is in the color and in the nose a tad but flavor is intense and quite sour. The flavor is so intense that while I enjoy sour beers it is simply impossible to deny that it does affect the drinkability.

Hope this is helpful.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz corked bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip

A - Very cloudy cranberry red with a minimal 1/4 inch head. Lacing is moderate and not in thick sheets. Constant stream of carbo bubbles throughout this beer's life.

S - Very tart and sweet cherry scent with an interesting sour note (reminds me of the brett yeast scent).

T - Intensely puckering with its sour sucker punch. It certainly takes some getting used to, but after some questionable first sips I found myself thoroughly enjoying this rare treat. Almost a cranberry addition to the cherry fruit.

M - Super-tart pucker that smacks your palate and leaves you wanting more.

D - A superb treat, but not something you would drink multiple of in an evening.

4.02/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a hazy strawberry red body capped with pocked pink collar of foam. The sourness wafts to my nose as I type this and the funk which I detect from two feet away is already making my mouth water. I share the tulip with WifeAce who promptly announces that this is the worst smelling beer I've ever offered her. With an ear-to-ear grin I say. "I know...isn't it great!"

Entry is maddeningly sour, yet spritely. Aggressive tiny-bubbled CO² tortures the walls of my cheeks while the equivelent of 247 cherry sour patch kids is dropped in concentrated form right in the middle of my tongue. If you ever wish to map out the sour receptors in your mouth, this is the way to do it!

Funky with some barnyard aroma, tangy cherries, and a dusty finish make every drop of this gem pure pleasure. Authenticity is never in doubt and this is a must-have for any lover of sour beers.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

Musty, wet blanket, funky, woodsy, slight sour cherry, and raw beef? in the nose... complex and interesting. Very assertively sour up front (for me) pick out some spicy astringency, apple peals, and sour cherries in the flavor. Dry mouthfeel with lingering sourness, low carbonation, and acidity. Interesting beer, but lambics are still new to me so I need some warming up to them.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dull ruddy mahogany with virtually no head or carbonation. Aroma of tart cherries hits me from across the room as soon as the cork is removed, long before any glassware is involved. A closer inspection reveals its earthy, winey, robust cherry scent, like fruit left to ferment in a dirty bucket outside.

The taste is slap-in-the-face sour, an overpowering force of funky barnyard and spoiled fruit. Oh, it's cherries all right -- but some sort of evil mutation birthed from a lab by a madman with dreams of conquest. Acetic sourness for days, mere hints of musty cherry and black cherry flavors, maybe some burgundy gone bad. This is what drinking that juice way past its date in the back of the fridge must taste like.

Mouthfeel is medium and flat, almost like drinking juice instead of beer. Probably has more in common with a cherry wine than a cherry beer. Makes some people gag but I like it. I'm strange that way.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

I picked up a 750 ml bottle for 14.99 at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo. Its been almost 3 years since Ive had Cantillon Kriek and its as good as I remember it.

Pours a glowing cranberry orange color. Through the haze brisk carbonation is very prominent. With a hard pour a fizzy pinkish head emerges and quickly fizzles away leaving moderate lacing behind. The aroma is full of trademark Cantillon funk with lots of horse blanket and wet hay. there's also some honeyish malt and a clear acidity. Some sulfur hides in the background. I couldnt detect any cherry.

The taste is super sour and also immensely complex as you would expect from a good Kriek. There is lots of barnyardy notes and lactic acidity. There is also a good measure of woody cherry pit flavor and some tart cherry fruit. Musty cheese and sweaty socks figure in there too. As the glass warms the sourness becomes ever more puckering. The finish is as sour as they come and still very complex. The mouthfeel is light with a active but not abrasive carbonation.

This is a fantastic Kriek. Cantillon truly makes the benchmark for the style, so intense and enigmatic. A must try.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance – This was delivered in a tiny little Chimay glass. It was a beautiful raspberry red in color with a pink head. The colors were just brilliant and it probably was the prettiest glass of beer that I have ever seen.

Smell – The sharp sweet and sour nose was amazing. The luscious, fresh raspberries smelled so natural and fresh they rivaled the smell of real raspberries. This was a collusion of nature, a rich, fruity freshness and the light beer-like malt with the sophisticated aroma of dull soury lemon.

Taste – The tart flavors were so big at the taste that I literally did a double-take. They were mixed with a fresh fruity sweetness in just the right ratio. The raspberries from the nose accompanied some wonderful but not overpowering cherry flavors. The malts were light, just enough to let the drinker know that he is drinking a beer.

Mouthfeel – This was a bit bigger than light-bodied and perfectly carbonated. The feel in the cheeks was light and fluffy yet lively enough to keep one entertained. The tartness was bigger than other samples of the style but played right into the bold flavors of this wonderful Lambic.

Drinkability – This was the show-stopper of the night at the O’Brien’s pre-Stone 10th Anniversary BA Party. Any fan of the style would die for a taste of this offering from Cantillon.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon