Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 668 | Hads: 2,132
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

I've been wanting to try this beer again since the last time I had it which was at least 9 months ago. Ordered a 12.7 oz bottle while at the Moan and Dove in Amherst, MA.

Pours a light red color with a small head consisting of larger-than-normal-beer bubbles. Very pleasant aroma with lots of cherry and not really much else I can put my finger on. The flavor is exceptional. There is nothing else like it to me. The extreme sourness is very enjoyable as it mixes with the fruit flavor. Mouthfeel takes a little bit to get used to, but I don't mind it at all. I think I would have no problem drinking a large quantity of this.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this style, and I consider myself a rookie in the world of lambics. The first time I tried this beer I hated it. The second time I liked it. And this time I loved it. Can't wait to try some other examples of the style. (892 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

pink red beer with next to no head, pretty par for the course though. the cork didn't pop when i pulled it out.
tart and funky smelling. with barnyard and hay aromas mingled with both unripe and ripe floral cherries. at times an almost tomato-y acidic aroma.
this is a murderously sour beer. the first sip is incredibly puckering, i'm sure i made a face. in a couple sips you become accustomed, and it become quite good, bombarding you with sour cherries, cranberries, and actually hints of watermelon at the finish as the other flavors trail off. tastes of spice now and again, especially at lower temperatures. not super complex, but tasty.
the carbonation level is near flat with only the slightest tingling to let you know it's carbonated. medium bodied.
a good tasting beer, but drinkability takes a little bit of a hit because of it's sourness, and slight lack of complexity may not keep you interested. certainly a good beer though, and something i'd buy again. (968 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Drank from a corked 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA

Poured a brilliant, clear, glowing crimson with no head.

Aroma was typical of a lambic. Musty, funky, fairly sour and a touch earthy with some sour fruits hiding in the background.

Taste was very sour from start to finish. The beer started super sour and funky up front before some oaky notes appeared mid-palate. The long, puckeringly dry and acidic finish was quite sour as well with an earthy and oaky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was crisp, sparkly and heavily effervescent.

This is a very traditional lambic. It's not not refreshing (as the maker claims) nor is it something you would want to drink on a regular basis. However, it can serve as a nice aperitif, an accompaniment to salads or as a reduction in a variety of dishes. (811 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Cloudy rose colored beer with edges closer to pink. A very thin white colored head dissipated rapidly. Has is too rich to notice any carbonation. No lacing to speak of.

Very dry cherry aroma. Definitely has an aged quality expected in a lambic. Sour is the main theme of this beer. Not much in the way of hidden aromas, but a bit weak.

The taste assaults the mouth with a super hit of sourness. Cherry is clearly noticeable on the tongue through the tartness. As in the smell, uncomplicated but pleasant.

Extremely tingling effect on the tongue comes more from bitterness then from carbonation. Decent viscosity.

A very nice beer in the style. This one is a dessert beer unto itself. Truly not a lambic for the uninitiated. This one is not a beer to try and session, and best enjoyed in a smaller amount shared amongst friends. (840 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

2003 bottling

the cork is popped, and gas comes rushing out of the bottle. the smell of belgian yeast creeps into the air. poured into a wine glass, a small crisp head forms on top of the bold red liquid, and then vanishes. each sip is like a bite of a cherry pie made from scratch -- sour natural cherries, plenty of yeasty funk, and minuscule amounts of spice to keep things balanced.
rugged on the tongue at first, and then expands into a smooth sweet nectar. this is what natural ingredients taste like. (512 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: A shiny reddish orange, I would consider it firey the head quickly dissipates.

Smell: It has the like the “funky” smell that the other Cantillon product I have tried has, I can smell the cherry but barely. Honestly, I do not love the smell of this beverage; perhaps my palette isn’t developed enough yet.

Taste: Tart, overwhelmingly tart. The cherries are defiantly there as is a little sweetness. The aftertaste is quite pleasing, and as I drink it the sourness becomes less overwhelming. As I drink the beer the acidity begins to become less of an issue, it is still pretty tart but I would classify it as acquired taste.

Mouthfeel: Very balanced, a nice light snap of carbonation. I do like the mouthfeel of the beer.

Drinkability: I am glad I only bought a 375 mL bottle, as I would most likely not be able to finish a full sized bottle alone. I really want to like this beer, and I think I need to get myself more used to the sheer tartness and review this one again. (1,003 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

This beer is much more Cantillon 100% Lambic than it is Kriek. The cherry is in the color and in the nose a tad but flavor is intense and quite sour. The flavor is so intense that while I enjoy sour beers it is simply impossible to deny that it does affect the drinkability.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (308 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

12 oz corked bottle poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip

A - Very cloudy cranberry red with a minimal 1/4 inch head. Lacing is moderate and not in thick sheets. Constant stream of carbo bubbles throughout this beer's life.

S - Very tart and sweet cherry scent with an interesting sour note (reminds me of the brett yeast scent).

T - Intensely puckering with its sour sucker punch. It certainly takes some getting used to, but after some questionable first sips I found myself thoroughly enjoying this rare treat. Almost a cranberry addition to the cherry fruit.

M - Super-tart pucker that smacks your palate and leaves you wanting more.

D - A superb treat, but not something you would drink multiple of in an evening. (732 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a hazy strawberry red body capped with pocked pink collar of foam. The sourness wafts to my nose as I type this and the funk which I detect from two feet away is already making my mouth water. I share the tulip with WifeAce who promptly announces that this is the worst smelling beer I've ever offered her. With an ear-to-ear grin I say. "I know...isn't it great!"

Entry is maddeningly sour, yet spritely. Aggressive tiny-bubbled CO² tortures the walls of my cheeks while the equivelent of 247 cherry sour patch kids is dropped in concentrated form right in the middle of my tongue. If you ever wish to map out the sour receptors in your mouth, this is the way to do it!

Funky with some barnyard aroma, tangy cherries, and a dusty finish make every drop of this gem pure pleasure. Authenticity is never in doubt and this is a must-have for any lover of sour beers. (877 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.9%

Musty, wet blanket, funky, woodsy, slight sour cherry, and raw beef? in the nose... complex and interesting. Very assertively sour up front (for me) pick out some spicy astringency, apple peals, and sour cherries in the flavor. Dry mouthfeel with lingering sourness, low carbonation, and acidity. Interesting beer, but lambics are still new to me so I need some warming up to them. (381 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dull ruddy mahogany with virtually no head or carbonation. Aroma of tart cherries hits me from across the room as soon as the cork is removed, long before any glassware is involved. A closer inspection reveals its earthy, winey, robust cherry scent, like fruit left to ferment in a dirty bucket outside.

The taste is slap-in-the-face sour, an overpowering force of funky barnyard and spoiled fruit. Oh, it's cherries all right -- but some sort of evil mutation birthed from a lab by a madman with dreams of conquest. Acetic sourness for days, mere hints of musty cherry and black cherry flavors, maybe some burgundy gone bad. This is what drinking that juice way past its date in the back of the fridge must taste like.

Mouthfeel is medium and flat, almost like drinking juice instead of beer. Probably has more in common with a cherry wine than a cherry beer. Makes some people gag but I like it. I'm strange that way. (933 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

I picked up a 750 ml bottle for 14.99 at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo. Its been almost 3 years since Ive had Cantillon Kriek and its as good as I remember it.

Pours a glowing cranberry orange color. Through the haze brisk carbonation is very prominent. With a hard pour a fizzy pinkish head emerges and quickly fizzles away leaving moderate lacing behind. The aroma is full of trademark Cantillon funk with lots of horse blanket and wet hay. there's also some honeyish malt and a clear acidity. Some sulfur hides in the background. I couldnt detect any cherry.

The taste is super sour and also immensely complex as you would expect from a good Kriek. There is lots of barnyardy notes and lactic acidity. There is also a good measure of woody cherry pit flavor and some tart cherry fruit. Musty cheese and sweaty socks figure in there too. As the glass warms the sourness becomes ever more puckering. The finish is as sour as they come and still very complex. The mouthfeel is light with a active but not abrasive carbonation.

This is a fantastic Kriek. Cantillon truly makes the benchmark for the style, so intense and enigmatic. A must try. (1,149 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +11%

Appearance – This was delivered in a tiny little Chimay glass. It was a beautiful raspberry red in color with a pink head. The colors were just brilliant and it probably was the prettiest glass of beer that I have ever seen.

Smell – The sharp sweet and sour nose was amazing. The luscious, fresh raspberries smelled so natural and fresh they rivaled the smell of real raspberries. This was a collusion of nature, a rich, fruity freshness and the light beer-like malt with the sophisticated aroma of dull soury lemon.

Taste – The tart flavors were so big at the taste that I literally did a double-take. They were mixed with a fresh fruity sweetness in just the right ratio. The raspberries from the nose accompanied some wonderful but not overpowering cherry flavors. The malts were light, just enough to let the drinker know that he is drinking a beer.

Mouthfeel – This was a bit bigger than light-bodied and perfectly carbonated. The feel in the cheeks was light and fluffy yet lively enough to keep one entertained. The tartness was bigger than other samples of the style but played right into the bold flavors of this wonderful Lambic.

Drinkability – This was the show-stopper of the night at the O’Brien’s pre-Stone 10th Anniversary BA Party. Any fan of the style would die for a taste of this offering from Cantillon. (1,342 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Spied this at the store I searched out to get the Double Bastard and being a fan of other lambics, I had to try it.

A: Pours about the brightest red I've ever seen. Not much head, but that could be due to the size of the sample (1 pint, 9 oz. bottle split four ways).

S: Smells like a typical lambic, but not a very strong cherry scent as I was expecting.

T: Ooh! Really, really, REALLY sour. Too sour for my liking.

M: Light body. Don't want to keep it in my mouth too long, though, because it's so sour.

D: Nope. I just can't get past the sourness. If sourness is what you like in a lambic, then this is certainly the beer for you. Personally, though, I'll take a Lindemann's any day of the week. (713 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

2005 vintage. Seems this bottle has been overfilled and the cork is very moist. Beer has spilled out into the foil, probably from the corked/capping process. The cork smells of vinegar and metal. Lets see how the beer held up, hopefully the cork didn't affect the taste.

Poured very carefully into my trusty Wal-Mart pilsner glass, to reveal a cherry-red beer with busy carbonation. Cantillon nose I expected, so far so good; woody and fruity smelling accompanied by funky earthyness and sawdust grains.

First thing that hits you is sour cherries. The yogurt-like sourness lingers for a while, and the wheat and barley make for a nice light backbone. Hints of goat cheese, tartar, and tabasco sauce. Finishes dry dry dry. No vinegar or sugar, and thankfully no wet cardboard from the cork. Very well balanced between fruity-sour-watery-grainy. Very well made lambic.

Just the right amount of carbonation. It looks more carbonated than the mouth can detect. Nice refreshing beer for afternoon sipping. Excellent drinkability.

If you can get past the sour aspect, I highly recommend this beer. Definately not for everyone, but it's a fun challange to aquire a taste for lambics, so go for it! Cheers! (1,210 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +7.9%

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic
Bottled in 2005
12 oz green bottle with cork and tin foil wrapping
Served in a Duck Walk vineyard champagne flute

During the past few weeks I have been really zoning in on exploring Lambics. I was excited to pick up this 12 oz bottle for $6.80 at Colonial Spirits in Acton, MA.

I opened the bottle and let the beer sit for about 20 minutes and then poured away in my champagne flute. Pours a vibrant shade of light red with pink colored highlights. Wispy thin lacing for a head.

Explosive aroma with whiffs of funk and sweet fruits.

Highly acidic, raw and sour with an authentic cherry appeal. The mouthfeel is spritzy and intense as it takes control over my taste buds. Hints of apple cider vinegar and raw cherry juice blend together to make an impression on my palate.

The drinkability level is rather high as my palate is on heightened alert.

I guess this is what Lambics are all about. Incredibly magnificent and marvelously complex. (989 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Like everything else I've tried from Cantillon, the Kriek is superb. Poured into a champagne flute. Crystal clear, bright red, brilliant. A slightly pink small head that lasted about a half-minute before fading to a ring, no lacing. This beer is absolutely gorgeous.

Cherries are in the front of the aroma, not cloying as with many krieks (Lindeman's especially), but fresh and clean. Behind the cherries lurks that musty, horse-blankety lambic funk. Yet somehow, as with all good lambics, that funk somehow allows an overall impression of crisp, clean, tartness.

The taste has cherries in the front again. Sour cherries, tangy and fresh with just a hint of sweetness. This kriek is quite tart and sour, not as mouth-puckering as Cantillon's framboise, but crisp and refreshing. There's no cloying, saccharine sweetness here, just the sourness of the cherries perfectly complementing the tartness of the beer. The lambic must isn't as present here as in the nose, but it's detectable in the finish, which is clean and leaves a lingering sourness. The mouthfeel too, is clean. Medium carbonation, but enough to cleanse the mouth of some of the puckering tartness.

I tried this with some good chocolate brownies, which it balanced quite nicely. It would go well with any chocolate dessert, or a rich cheesecake. Maybe even a cherry sundae. (1,346 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

2001 bottle, served in a sniffer glass. Pours out a bright red color with a surprising head. Nose is quite tart, moderately funky with a light cheese-like note. Incredibly sour taste, quite piquant; good cherry flavor, though without the slightest hint of sweetness I didn't identify it as such for a moment; metallic, coppery taste with hints of musty, wet soil. Bone dry, acidic finish that lingers long after the last taste. Body is thin, with a puckering, quite tannic texture.

Quite a treat! I'd been saving this in my fridge for the past 3 years, and presented it at the 2006 Dallas BA tasting. Unfortunately, it wasn't to everyone's taste and I ended up drinking most of the bottle myself. Hmm, or make that "quite fortunately". (738 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Vintage 1997
375ml corked and capped bottle.

Lively pour reveals a lush, clear, reddish body, and a thick, frothy, pink head.
Foam cap slowly recedes to a full surface coating with raised edges.
A fine column of meandering bubbles ascend relentlessly from the base of the tulip glass.
Aromatics are largely acidic-laced dried cherries and funk.
A delicious and complex balance of fruit, cheese rind, wet leather, mold-dusted cedar boards, mustard greens, and horsestalls.
Thin to medium bodied, puckering and crisp, with a slight residual.
Pallet is also largely acidic and sour, almost to the point of being sharp.
Somewhat subdued cherry essense is not missed, and blends well with the tart, lemony, and sherry vinegar base.
Authentic to the point of a jowel-watering testamony, and exceedingly complex at the nine year old mark.
Finishes puckeringly, with a fading cherry wave, and prickly on the back of the throat. (933 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

I had a 12 oz. bottle of the Cantillon Kriek at The Publick House in Brookline.

Appearance: Pours a hazy deep red with a fleeting pink head. Small bubbles feed a faint ring.

Smell: Sour cherries and acidic sourness. The characteristic Cantillon funk is evident and becomes more prominent upon swirling. I poured the remaining beer with yeast into my glass when I had finished and the aroma became much funkier.

Taste: Puckeringly sour. Sweet cherry flavors briefly appear above the sourness. The finish is sour with funky almost savory flavors. Decanting the yeast moderated the sourness somewhat.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied wih a light oiliness. There is tingly carbonation evident, though it isn't strong it's much more noticable when compared to other Cantillon offerings.

Drinkability: Very tasty, though made for sipping.

Overall: Another excellent lambic from Cantillon. (891 characters)

Appearance: Deep red in color, very little head, save for scattered, patchy foam, little, or perhaps no carbonation.

Aroma: Sour cherries, and a barnyard note of goat and soured hay.

Taste: Intense sourness at the open, perceived as lemon juice, this dominates from start to finish. Earthy notes are also present throughout. Late in the taste a note somewhat like blue cheese appears. Finishes intensely dry with a lingering tang of acidity. The cherry notes are perceptible, but are quite subdued.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, very full, excellent.

Drinkability/notes: A striking example of the style, certainly a must to try. Many thanks to BA HardTarget for his generosity in sharing this treasure. (710 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

375 cL bottle poured into a thin pilsner.

fairly clear bright red with an effervescing light pink head that falls quickly. looks like a cherry soda.

powerfully tart and sour aroma. tart apples, vinegar, funky cheese, sour lemon rinds. very faint whiff of cherries.

bitingly tart acidity. light mouthfeel with a medium carbonation and a powerfully drying finish. flavor is more powerful than Cantillon's gueuze and sticks to your teeth. less cherry flavor that i expected, but it adds some nice tartness overall. powerful finish definitely overwhelms the other flavors, but it's a drinkable, extremely well-made brew. (626 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Pours a cherry red with a layer of pink foam which drops to form a thin ring.

S - Vinegar, must, faint whiff of cherries.

T - Immediately tart, then cherries smooth it out before the sour tartness kicks up a notch and leaves a dry/sour aftertaste.

M - Light and dry. Carbonation is low and adds to the drink well.

D - After the initial shock of the first mouthful it's very moreish and hard to put the glass down. I could handle 2 or 3 of these very well, but not something I would want to drink all day. (520 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

Tried it on draught at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden, in November 2005.

Poured a deep red color, with a pink head.
Very sour scent and flavor, typical of the Cantillon beers.
This is what a kriek from a lambic really should taste like.

It's not at all sweet or almondy like some kriek, prepare for a very sour experience. (330 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

This is a review of the Kriek 100% lambic blended with cherries. It is a bright cherry red colored beer. Has an interesting vinegar/fruity smell to it. Makes me thirsty, but not for the faint of heart. Very pungent, fills my room with this great odor. The cherry flavor comes out sort of in the middle of the flavor profile. The first taste is an overwhelmingly sour pucker your face flavor. Finishes nice and sweet. Actually tastes a little like raspberry which makes me anticipate tasting the raspberry flavored one all the more. Sort of has a sour starburst like flavor profile, so if you don't like those, stay away. Medium body, a little syrupy to go with the very sweet flavor. Enough carbonation to feel it in my mouth, even though I don't see much in the glass. I could see regularly drinking this one. Very good. (821 characters)

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon