Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 664 | Hads: 2,109
4.15/5  rDev -1%

This beer was difficult to get into at first and my initial reaction was to wince due to the puckery sourness. However, the more that I drank, the more intrigued I was. After having Lindeman's kriek, which tasted like dirty socks dipped in beer and then wrung out into a pint glass, I was a little afraid of cherry beer, but the Cantillon kriek took me into a new world of goodness and flavor. This beer is a beautiful red color and the aroma is that of cherries and tartness. The taste, however, is what makes this beer unlike any other that I have ever experienced. The cherry flavor gives way to a unique tartness that remains on the tongue long into the evening.

Definitelty one that I would recommend. (710 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -11.5%

I wasn't too big on this one. The red pink body with a top of girlie pink foam let you know what's coming. Smell is very acidic with small fractions of candied fruit and a funk of something rotten. The taste is utterly acid with the cherry only prevealent in the aftertaste. This really lives in the memory as the carbonation fizzs off my tongue it leaves the life of cherry and floral smells. A nice sipper but not something I would buy but I wouldn't mind helping to drink by splitting a bottle. (497 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Cork says: bottled in 2005

This beer poured a striking red color. A thin, pinkish head formed before receding to a ring of foam around the glass.

It has a sharp, acidic odor.

The taste is very sour and dry, though not as much as other Kriek beers I've tried. I can defiantly taste the cherries. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is very good. The carbonation is very gentle.

The drinkability is good. Like any Lambic, it is not something I would ever want to drink fast or in excess, but is a pleasure to consume being what it is. (537 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

02/07/06- Purchased at Plumpjack's in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, wrapped and corked. Not sure what year it was from. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Took off the cap and there appeared to be a brown liquid that had seeped out. Smelled and it smelled very much like vinegar. Was preparing for a drain pour. But...poured a wonderful crushed cherry dark red. Almost blood red, had a nice 3/4 inch rose colored spritzy head and had average lacing.

Smell- Didn't smell at all like vinegar, thank goodness. Didn't catch a bunch of funk like I was expecting from a traditional Cantillon. Some, but not equal to some of the others. There was a really nice fresh tart cherry scent though. Strong cherry and nothing else.

Taste- As most do..starts out tart and finishes even more tart. Cherry orchard flavor with a mild hop bitterness. Just truckloads of fresh and sour cherries.

Mouthfeel- Tart, tart and more tart. Doesn't burn my gut as much as others did though. Light carbonation turns to none once you get into the heart of the beer.

Drinkability- Probably the most drinkable Cantillon beer I have had to date. Great flavors and a pleasure to drink. (1,192 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

pale pink color with a very lightly pink head, good and thick. smell: whew! some cherries but mostly supertart sourness makes me drool. palate is very austere, tart, dry, most puckering thing ever. some fruit. very, very tart. very dry finish. I liked it, but it is definitely at the dry and mouth-puckering end of the spectrum. (328 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

500th Personal beer review on BA

Bottle Inspection: What a wonderful label. While it isn’t information rich, it’s a very nice piece of art. Cork notes 2003 vintage.

Aroma: A bit of vinegar, ass, sour cherry, old leather, barnyard, and rotting hay. Wow that’s intense. This is my first true lambic, so I’m a little unaccustomed to what I’m experiencing. Still, my “nut check” passes and I venture on. As I get used to the onslaught, I pick out cherry pit and dusty cobweb.

Appearance: Clear ruby/blood red glass shows no lace from the quickly dying head of tinged pink. A close look shows small carbonation streams but they don’t seem to even try to form a head

Flavor: Vinegar, but GOOD vinegar. Very tart. Pop Tart? No, lemon juice tart. Very tart. The cherry offers a mild background to the intense organic flavor. I get a fair dose of “baby diaper”, but, it works! By far the most unusual beer I’ve tried.

Mouthfeel: BONE dry. Not just dry, but massive pucker followed by chewing motions just trying to get some saliva working again. Again, unlike any beer I’ve ever had.

Overall Impression: Wow. Lemon juice intensity is about right, but much easier to drink. After the initial slap in the face, I got used to the FUNK it portrays and started to “get it”. First sip was shiver and retreat, but now, I want more. Big thanks to Stonecrusher for the kick in the sack. Now I know what it’s all about. Lindemans is a Lambic? HAHAHAHA (1,466 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Interesting shade of red, looks like a hazy grape juice almost. Fizzy carbonation, with no head. Musty aroma full of horse blanket and sour cherries. Also a slight spiciness. Wonderfully funky flavor. Nice pucker from the sourness, with a nice cherry finish. This is very tart and dry. This is the most sour lambic I've had but really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be seeking more of this style out! (397 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Cotk says bottled in 2003. Pours with light head. Body is cherry red with brownish tinge. Smells every bit as tart as non fruit lambics I've had, this is my first fruit lambic. Funk increases with temperature.

Taste is tart with slight cherry. Funks up as it wasrms up, and the cherry increases its presence as well. Hint of vanilla oak for a brief moment, this stuff coats my teeth. Mouthfeel is puckering with an everlasting sour finish. Drinkable for me, but I'll drink everything. (488 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -29.1%

Okay, this one just did not do anything for me. This was the first of three fruity beers I tried in a row, but my tastebuds were just shot ofter this one for a while. Not that there's anything wrong with this beer, but maybe I just don't like the style (Kriek's). Too bitter and tart with a aftertaste that just continues too long. I may grow into this style later, but just not one of my favorite lambics. (406 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pouring to a nice glowing dark red with a thin layer of head, this looks nice.

The smell is very powerful and exclusively of cherry and wild yeast. The taste starts off very sour and leads to an overwhelming amount of cherry. The presence in the mouth is extremely sharp, while the stuff is quite drinkable for the amount of flavor it has. (342 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz bottle received from ngandhi as part of BIF 12. Thanks for the opportunity. Black foiled cap and cork. Cork noted bottled in 2003.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 1/2" desert rose head above the clear cherry red brew. Head fades quickly down to a layer of bubbles, with minimal to average lacing, both of which are par for the style. Aroma is musky tart cherries. Taste is a bit of malt upfront, quickly shouted down by almost controlled sourness, with cherry tinges coming in later, and closes with extreme dryness on the palate. Mouthfeel and drinkabilty are both good, and this was an enjoyable treat. (622 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

2003 bottling.

Appearance is a beautiful ruby red with a small white head that instantly fades into a small ring around the glass. Smell is potently sour and funky. Not just a little mustiness here, but a full-fledged acidic bile smell. I love it. Taste is shockingly sour. Until your tastebuds adjust, all you taste is the face-disfiguring sourness, but then as it warms and you adjust (though it never loses its sharp sourness) you get some up front sweetness from the malt, and the cherry flavor really comes through. Almost tastes like cherries that have gone horribly bad at some point. This is possibly the most acidic drink I have ever had. Its dryness is beyond compare. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, very quenching. Due to its overpowering flavor, this is a sipper, but I could down a whole 750 by myself. Lip smackingly good. (837 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Cork removed with a corkscrew; bottling date of 2004 is given on the side of the cork. No explosive carbonation; on pouring into a wine glass there is very little head. A small coating of bubbles adhere to the bottom of my glass and tiny bubbles continuously rise through the hazy red brew.

Aroma is dominated by extremely sour cherries, with some fruit peel as well. Taste is very sour, with some bready flavors as well along with a boatload of fruit. Mouthfeel is ticklish with very fine carbonation. Finish is extremely dry and tart. Delicious beer from what might be my favorite non-US brewery. (602 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Well...it took me two days to open this beer...literally. I didn't realize there was a cork underneath the cap. Had to buy a corkscrew today just to get at this. The smell coming through the cork was tantalizing.

Pours a unique strawberry/garnet red with a good bit of haze. No head formation at all. Aroma is overloaded with tart smells which penetrate the nose with sour cherries and apples causing the backs of my jaw to hurt just thinking about it. Could be a little stronger. Just as suspected there is an overload of sourness which I absolutely love. Taste is sweet and dry at the same time. Comes across like a cherry sweettart candy with a bit of peppery spiciness. Mouthfeel is sweet and dry at the same time. The sourness causes my mouth to salivate like crazy but this beer finishes dry making you want to come back for more. Drinkability is great too. Even though this beer is extremely sour its nicely drinkable. Not overwhelming because of the dry finish which dimenishes the sourness quickly.

Overall, a great beer. Definately worth the money to pick this one up, especially if you are just experimenting with lambics. (1,139 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

1996 bottling.

It seems to be showing it's age in comparison to some fresher bottles I've had.

Still has that deep pink color and Champagne-like carbonation. Aroma is classic lambic, all funky and barnyard and Brett. However, very little fruit aroma is still there.

Similar on the taste. Classic Cantillon sourness and funk (which I love) but the cherry is now just an afterthought. You can tell that it's there but it's not nearly as prevalent as in newer bottles.

I think I'll blow through the few more bottles of this that I have and save the cellaring for the Broucsella. (588 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -53.9%

Alright, so I'm no lambic afficianado. Maybe with time I'd learn to appreciate these brews, but after having the few I have I'm not warming to them in the slightest. This being among the very worst.

Pours a soft and cloudy medium red/blush in color with no head to speak of. Smells extremely organic, a bit like soil, leafy. Quite sour smelling, vaguely cherry-like. Taste is unexplainable, intensely sour, notes of rotting cherries and dirt. I'm sorry but this just isn't my bag I guess. I'll continue to try but as it is I had to force down what I did drink, some of it went straight down the drain.

Slàinte! (but for God's sake, be careful!) (651 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

1997 Vintage

Pinkish peach color.. heavenly funky sour aroma that makes you drool in anticipation for that sour twang your tastebuds are about to experience. Incredible tartness combines with a sour cherry and dry finish.. the sourness grows and grows and gets to the point where your mouth is still salivating from the utter onslaught your tastebuds have endured with each sip.. an amazing brew

Compared to the fresh bottles I have tried I would have to say this is much better aged (489 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

375ml capped and corked

Pours with a cloudy pinky red body, pink-white head with good retention

Smell, tart red wine acidity on the nose, some hint of grapes aswell as very sharp cherries. Slightly musky

Taste, very sour. Big upfront tartness, unripe cherries, no sweetness at all. Some winey notes

This is a great, ballsy unsweetened lambic. As true to the style as you get (386 characters)

Served on-tap in .2L Cantillon wine glass.

Deep red color, with very slight carbonation and no foam or lacing. Tart cherries in the nose with a touch of wine-like sourness and barn-yard must in the background. Flavor starts with the bitter cherries, develops acidic sharpness, and builds into rounded woodiness and lasting barn-yard funk. Not-quite still in the mouth. The slightly prickly carbonation and bitter dryness is quite quenching once you've gotten accustomed to the style. (486 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at the Moan & Dove. It wasn't even on the blackboard, thanks Moaner! I wasn't able to sample any on draft on my last trip to Belgium, the places I went to were either out or had stuff even more mind-blowing, as crazy as this may seem.

Appearance: A little bit more peachy than the bottled version, but definately has sanguine highlights. This one had a strawberry mousse on top, very nice indeed.

Smell: I can't get enough of that aroma of barnyard, leather, stale, spent grain and just plain sourness. I got apple last time, this one was more raspberry/cranberry.

Taste: Excellent astringency, if I drink this too regularly my tongue will go inside-out. The rasp/cran really showed up in full force on the palate and in the dry aftertaste it left. Body was a little lighter than usual, but just as refreshing as ever. (834 characters)

4.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

In teaching my roommates the wonders of non-Lindeman's lambics (not that there's anything wrong with that!) we picked up a bottle of the Kriek. Delightful stuff this, a luminescent ruby red with plenty of bubbles. Tart & funky nose with strong sour citric lemon juice notes. Cherries are more present in the dry aftertaste than anywhere else. Sour mega warhead funky barnyard takes the flavor. A lambic I always enjoy, but as I noted on draught, a bit sweet for me to have more than one really. Glad I'm sharing the bottle. Still a great offering from Cantillon. (562 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

This was an interesting beer from cantillon. I must admit to not being in any ways a great fan of Lambics but cantillon was out of the question in such a statement.

The pour right away reminds me of home made raspberry juice because of its imposing red tone with a white head that is thick but weak at the same time, and has some red tones as though "dirty" somehow.

The smell is strong in red fruits, amazingly attractive at once, combining further on a stronger beery feel that lets you understand this is no conventional juice (mike's hard lemonade folks).

The taste however unimpressed me. it was great if you put it all apart: fruits, an ale sensation, a sour ending...but all combined turned into a strong medicinal sensation, sort of like trying children's cough medicine. I overlook that because I know with a bit more expertise I'm sure I'll understand this beer much better. whenever back in belgie I'll give it a second chance. (947 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Bought a 12oz. bottle of this out of deference (in part) to Jason, co-creator of this site which we hold so dear. I was looking for a reasonable, but representative lambic. I followed the bottle's instructions and allowed this beer to breathe for about 30 minutes before pouring. It seemed to cut down on the strange funk emitting from the bottle (so THAT's horse blanket!). Not that I was entirely put off..
Pours nicely, without much head but boasting a bright CHERRY color, irrespective of fermentation.
The smell is strange, to be sure, but if I have any beef w/ it, it's only that it hides the wonderful qualities within:
Now to taste this 'Kriek'...
Oh god that's interesting. I'm not at all put off by the sourness of this brew, and it definitely has a 'natural' quality to the fermentation. It is as if the sourness has entirely taken the place of the sweet flavors in the cherries. Fantastic. It shows off (throws off?) oaky, funky flavors that I really like.
Others could dissect this beer's nuances better, but I'm content to wholeheartedly recommend it to any extreme beer lover. Carbonation was appropriately low. Drinkability is earth-shattering; who could expect that out of such a full-flavored beer?
I rated accordingly. (1,252 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

Ruby or pomegranite red, cloudy, bare minimum lace but no head. Appearance would be higher if it managed some sort of head. Smells of cherry pie with a nice tartness even on the nose. Dry.... I think this is the first time I actually felt like moisture was being sucked out of my system by a liquid. Dry dry. It tastes like I remember organic cherries out in CA tasting at the beginning of last winter. It's sour to be sure but it's perfectly reasonable and not nearly as artificial as others (although I certainly have a sweets addiction). DRY. Wow... that is really dry. It's a sensation I haven't felt before and I really enjoy it. For some reason I feel like I'm at a cafe in Belgium and expect the cured meat and cheeses to be delivered now. (746 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

2003 vintage.

Pours a deep pink, almost purpleish, with a slight ring of pinkish foam around the rim. Very light active carbonation at the top of the pour.
The aroma is characteristic lambic; a dirty acidic cherry with a hint of vinegar. The sour in the nose makes my mouth water in anticipation.

The initial taste is all sour. Very strong impressions. This taste dwells, and a slight compliment of dirty malt and sour cherry barely break through. There's a little hint of cherry aftertaste after the swallow, but the sour persists adamently. Doesn't have the sweet flavor some lambics carry, so it's not for the timid beerdrinker. The fruit flavor in this one kindly takes a backseat to the trademark lambic taste. It becomes slightly more prevalent as the beer sits and breathes, but it doesn't overtake the sour lambic, making for a pleasant session.

Thin mouthfeel in and of itself, but there's a clear sour influence on the tongue, particularly on the sides and back. There's an acidic taste and feel in there too, but it's nice, not offensive.

Highly drinkable if you enjoy the style. What I particularly enjoy is that the lingering sour aftertastes nicely temper the rate at which you drink the beer, extending the enjoyment of the session. (1,265 characters)

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon