Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 680 | Hads: 2,191
4.38/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pouring to a nice glowing dark red with a thin layer of head, this looks nice.

The smell is very powerful and exclusively of cherry and wild yeast. The taste starts off very sour and leads to an overwhelming amount of cherry. The presence in the mouth is extremely sharp, while the stuff is quite drinkable for the amount of flavor it has.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz bottle received from ngandhi as part of BIF 12. Thanks for the opportunity. Black foiled cap and cork. Cork noted bottled in 2003.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 1/2" desert rose head above the clear cherry red brew. Head fades quickly down to a layer of bubbles, with minimal to average lacing, both of which are par for the style. Aroma is musky tart cherries. Taste is a bit of malt upfront, quickly shouted down by almost controlled sourness, with cherry tinges coming in later, and closes with extreme dryness on the palate. Mouthfeel and drinkabilty are both good, and this was an enjoyable treat.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

2003 bottling.

Appearance is a beautiful ruby red with a small white head that instantly fades into a small ring around the glass. Smell is potently sour and funky. Not just a little mustiness here, but a full-fledged acidic bile smell. I love it. Taste is shockingly sour. Until your tastebuds adjust, all you taste is the face-disfiguring sourness, but then as it warms and you adjust (though it never loses its sharp sourness) you get some up front sweetness from the malt, and the cherry flavor really comes through. Almost tastes like cherries that have gone horribly bad at some point. This is possibly the most acidic drink I have ever had. Its dryness is beyond compare. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, very quenching. Due to its overpowering flavor, this is a sipper, but I could down a whole 750 by myself. Lip smackingly good.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Cork removed with a corkscrew; bottling date of 2004 is given on the side of the cork. No explosive carbonation; on pouring into a wine glass there is very little head. A small coating of bubbles adhere to the bottom of my glass and tiny bubbles continuously rise through the hazy red brew.

Aroma is dominated by extremely sour cherries, with some fruit peel as well. Taste is very sour, with some bready flavors as well along with a boatload of fruit. Mouthfeel is ticklish with very fine carbonation. Finish is extremely dry and tart. Delicious beer from what might be my favorite non-US brewery.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Well...it took me two days to open this beer...literally. I didn't realize there was a cork underneath the cap. Had to buy a corkscrew today just to get at this. The smell coming through the cork was tantalizing.

Pours a unique strawberry/garnet red with a good bit of haze. No head formation at all. Aroma is overloaded with tart smells which penetrate the nose with sour cherries and apples causing the backs of my jaw to hurt just thinking about it. Could be a little stronger. Just as suspected there is an overload of sourness which I absolutely love. Taste is sweet and dry at the same time. Comes across like a cherry sweettart candy with a bit of peppery spiciness. Mouthfeel is sweet and dry at the same time. The sourness causes my mouth to salivate like crazy but this beer finishes dry making you want to come back for more. Drinkability is great too. Even though this beer is extremely sour its nicely drinkable. Not overwhelming because of the dry finish which dimenishes the sourness quickly.

Overall, a great beer. Definately worth the money to pick this one up, especially if you are just experimenting with lambics.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

1996 bottling.

It seems to be showing it's age in comparison to some fresher bottles I've had.

Still has that deep pink color and Champagne-like carbonation. Aroma is classic lambic, all funky and barnyard and Brett. However, very little fruit aroma is still there.

Similar on the taste. Classic Cantillon sourness and funk (which I love) but the cherry is now just an afterthought. You can tell that it's there but it's not nearly as prevalent as in newer bottles.

I think I'll blow through the few more bottles of this that I have and save the cellaring for the Broucsella.

1.93/5  rDev -54.5%

Alright, so I'm no lambic afficianado. Maybe with time I'd learn to appreciate these brews, but after having the few I have I'm not warming to them in the slightest. This being among the very worst.

Pours a soft and cloudy medium red/blush in color with no head to speak of. Smells extremely organic, a bit like soil, leafy. Quite sour smelling, vaguely cherry-like. Taste is unexplainable, intensely sour, notes of rotting cherries and dirt. I'm sorry but this just isn't my bag I guess. I'll continue to try but as it is I had to force down what I did drink, some of it went straight down the drain.

Slàinte! (but for God's sake, be careful!)

4.37/5  rDev +3.1%

1997 Vintage

Pinkish peach color.. heavenly funky sour aroma that makes you drool in anticipation for that sour twang your tastebuds are about to experience. Incredible tartness combines with a sour cherry and dry finish.. the sourness grows and grows and gets to the point where your mouth is still salivating from the utter onslaught your tastebuds have endured with each sip.. an amazing brew

Compared to the fresh bottles I have tried I would have to say this is much better aged

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

375ml capped and corked

Pours with a cloudy pinky red body, pink-white head with good retention

Smell, tart red wine acidity on the nose, some hint of grapes aswell as very sharp cherries. Slightly musky

Taste, very sour. Big upfront tartness, unripe cherries, no sweetness at all. Some winey notes

This is a great, ballsy unsweetened lambic. As true to the style as you get

Served on-tap in .2L Cantillon wine glass.

Deep red color, with very slight carbonation and no foam or lacing. Tart cherries in the nose with a touch of wine-like sourness and barn-yard must in the background. Flavor starts with the bitter cherries, develops acidic sharpness, and builds into rounded woodiness and lasting barn-yard funk. Not-quite still in the mouth. The slightly prickly carbonation and bitter dryness is quite quenching once you've gotten accustomed to the style.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

On tap at the Moan & Dove. It wasn't even on the blackboard, thanks Moaner! I wasn't able to sample any on draft on my last trip to Belgium, the places I went to were either out or had stuff even more mind-blowing, as crazy as this may seem.

Appearance: A little bit more peachy than the bottled version, but definately has sanguine highlights. This one had a strawberry mousse on top, very nice indeed.

Smell: I can't get enough of that aroma of barnyard, leather, stale, spent grain and just plain sourness. I got apple last time, this one was more raspberry/cranberry.

Taste: Excellent astringency, if I drink this too regularly my tongue will go inside-out. The rasp/cran really showed up in full force on the palate and in the dry aftertaste it left. Body was a little lighter than usual, but just as refreshing as ever.

4.19/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

In teaching my roommates the wonders of non-Lindeman's lambics (not that there's anything wrong with that!) we picked up a bottle of the Kriek. Delightful stuff this, a luminescent ruby red with plenty of bubbles. Tart & funky nose with strong sour citric lemon juice notes. Cherries are more present in the dry aftertaste than anywhere else. Sour mega warhead funky barnyard takes the flavor. A lambic I always enjoy, but as I noted on draught, a bit sweet for me to have more than one really. Glad I'm sharing the bottle. Still a great offering from Cantillon.

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

This was an interesting beer from cantillon. I must admit to not being in any ways a great fan of Lambics but cantillon was out of the question in such a statement.

The pour right away reminds me of home made raspberry juice because of its imposing red tone with a white head that is thick but weak at the same time, and has some red tones as though "dirty" somehow.

The smell is strong in red fruits, amazingly attractive at once, combining further on a stronger beery feel that lets you understand this is no conventional juice (mike's hard lemonade folks).

The taste however unimpressed me. it was great if you put it all apart: fruits, an ale sensation, a sour ending...but all combined turned into a strong medicinal sensation, sort of like trying children's cough medicine. I overlook that because I know with a bit more expertise I'm sure I'll understand this beer much better. whenever back in belgie I'll give it a second chance.

4.48/5  rDev +5.7%

Bought a 12oz. bottle of this out of deference (in part) to Jason, co-creator of this site which we hold so dear. I was looking for a reasonable, but representative lambic. I followed the bottle's instructions and allowed this beer to breathe for about 30 minutes before pouring. It seemed to cut down on the strange funk emitting from the bottle (so THAT's horse blanket!). Not that I was entirely put off..
Pours nicely, without much head but boasting a bright CHERRY color, irrespective of fermentation.
The smell is strange, to be sure, but if I have any beef w/ it, it's only that it hides the wonderful qualities within:
Now to taste this 'Kriek'...
Oh god that's interesting. I'm not at all put off by the sourness of this brew, and it definitely has a 'natural' quality to the fermentation. It is as if the sourness has entirely taken the place of the sweet flavors in the cherries. Fantastic. It shows off (throws off?) oaky, funky flavors that I really like.
Others could dissect this beer's nuances better, but I'm content to wholeheartedly recommend it to any extreme beer lover. Carbonation was appropriately low. Drinkability is earth-shattering; who could expect that out of such a full-flavored beer?
I rated accordingly.

3.96/5  rDev -6.6%

Ruby or pomegranite red, cloudy, bare minimum lace but no head. Appearance would be higher if it managed some sort of head. Smells of cherry pie with a nice tartness even on the nose. Dry.... I think this is the first time I actually felt like moisture was being sucked out of my system by a liquid. Dry dry. It tastes like I remember organic cherries out in CA tasting at the beginning of last winter. It's sour to be sure but it's perfectly reasonable and not nearly as artificial as others (although I certainly have a sweets addiction). DRY. Wow... that is really dry. It's a sensation I haven't felt before and I really enjoy it. For some reason I feel like I'm at a cafe in Belgium and expect the cured meat and cheeses to be delivered now.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

2003 vintage.

Pours a deep pink, almost purpleish, with a slight ring of pinkish foam around the rim. Very light active carbonation at the top of the pour.
The aroma is characteristic lambic; a dirty acidic cherry with a hint of vinegar. The sour in the nose makes my mouth water in anticipation.

The initial taste is all sour. Very strong impressions. This taste dwells, and a slight compliment of dirty malt and sour cherry barely break through. There's a little hint of cherry aftertaste after the swallow, but the sour persists adamently. Doesn't have the sweet flavor some lambics carry, so it's not for the timid beerdrinker. The fruit flavor in this one kindly takes a backseat to the trademark lambic taste. It becomes slightly more prevalent as the beer sits and breathes, but it doesn't overtake the sour lambic, making for a pleasant session.

Thin mouthfeel in and of itself, but there's a clear sour influence on the tongue, particularly on the sides and back. There's an acidic taste and feel in there too, but it's nice, not offensive.

Highly drinkable if you enjoy the style. What I particularly enjoy is that the lingering sour aftertastes nicely temper the rate at which you drink the beer, extending the enjoyment of the session.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

The beer poured into the chalice clear ruby with a white and compact head that lasted fairly well to lace the glass.

The aroma was slightly cheesy when first opened and poured. That aroma lessened over time and a definite oaky presence came to the forefront. The oak was strong and sweaty. The aroma was not overly fruity and was only slightly reminiscent of cherries until the beer warmed at which time the fruity nature became more prominent.

The flavor was sour and acidic with definite grapeskin/seed flavors and light fruitiness from the cherries. There is no doubt this beer is not sweetened and that the cherries are not artificial. The oaky and sweaty flavors carry through from the aroma. The sourness rules the flavor.

The finish was dry with lasting sourness and oak/sweat with a light fruity presence, but not dicernable as cherry. The body was medium light and the sourness detracted from the drinkability just a bit.

12 ounce bottle, foil covering the cap and cork. Bottled in 2002 on cork.

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%

I'm currently on a mini-quest to discover lambics... let's check this one out. Pours a very bright and vibrant ruby red grapefruity color, no head. Smell is of sour cherries, cherry pie, freshly squeezed lemmons, and a slight funky manure smell, though not as pronounced as in other lambics, such as the Cantillon Rose I had last night. I'm starting to get a taste for these. I've had framboise, gueuze, and now kriek, and I have to say that the gueuze is my favorite. I find the fruit to be a little intrusive and un-beery, though hints of it don't bother me. This is delicious though, and not as overpowering in terms of fruit taste. Nice sour bitter taste, really puckering, even for a true lambic. Sublte cherry flavor. Nice funk aftertaste as well. Very fresh and authentic, no artificial shit. Dry mouthfeel, which is great. I don't think the fruit lambics will ever be my style, though I really love the gueuze, but this is undeniably tasty, regardless.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

My first sip of Cantillon Kreik was in 1996, while working at Mr. Dunderbaks in the Allentown PA mall. I was fond of and used to the sweet flavor of Lindemans or Liefmans lambic, so thats what I was expecting. I hated it. Now, 9 years later it stands before me again. I've been enjoying Flanders ales, gueze, and funky saisons for the past 3 or 4 years, so I'm confident that I'll enjoy it this time.

It is a brownish, purplish color with a brief but fluffy head that is light pink tinted. There is not much in the way of lacing, but I wasn't expecting any.

The aromas, WOW! It instantly transports you to barnyard with all the accompanying aromas: hay, rotting grass, manure, cider, apples, horses, and bitter cherries. This is untamed and angry smelling, and I love it! The nose alone carries that funky sharpness right down to your guts before you even take a sip. Hardcore.

The flavor is different than anything I have ever tasted on this planet. It is a living barnyard stuffed into a 750 ml bottle. It has a acidic tartness throughout highlighted with lemon, vomit, hay, bitter herbs, faint bitter cherries, oak, mushrooms, and vinegar. As repulsive as that list is, it is delicious and impossible to stop sipping. A very new sensation. This is a very grown-up lambic, not for the same person who would enjoy a wine-cooler. Fantastic.

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

Yet another Cantillon lambic I've been dying to try. Cork evacuates the bottle with a nice pop. Bottled in 2003. Pours from the bottle a stunning red with hints of pink...a nice bubbly pink head tops it off. Brilliant ruby when held up to the light. The nose comes with a sour, astringent cherry mixed with a splash of vinegar, a hint of lemon and a healthy dose of barnyard, dirty laundry funkiness that is trademark Cantillon...simply lovely.

First sip is a rush of acidic, mouth puckering sour. Hints of lemon peek through as the vibrant sour cherry tones flow over the palate. The barnyard, earthy, woody, dank funkiness is simply spectacular. A perfect mix of lambic and fruit that creates an incredibly rewarding drinking experience. Amazing.

Small bubbly carbonation couple with a nice light body that flows over the tongue. Each and every taste bud stands up at attention with each sip taking in the sublte complexities that only Cantillon can deliver. I have a feeling that when I finish this bottle I will be left aching for more and looking forward to the next time I can partake in this finely crafted, spontaneously fermented masterpiece. History, art, brewing and nature all in one bottle.

Bottled 18 April 2011..freshest bottle I've had - sampled 09-20-2011

Pours into my glass a deep vibrant cherry red with a fizzy pink head that disappears rather quickly. Aromas are bright with cherries along with an underlying deep sour funk. Lots of oak notes with lemon zest. Musty, earthy and a touch of vinegar. Lovely.

First sip brings bring sour cherry pucker upfront. Acidic funk and oak meld together. The underlying lambic is musty and earthy with lemon zest. Super complex, it finishes dry and extremely tart with lingering cherry notes.

Mouthfeel is light with very spritzy carbonation that explodes across the palate with each sip. Such a great depth of flavor, I love how every time I drink a Cantillon beer it's like a new experience. Wish it was easier to drink this more often!!

4.75/5  rDev +12%

I was fortunate enough to try this beer in Brooklyn at the highly recommended Spyuten Duyvil. This beer changed my "lambic" life. Previous lambic brewers I have tried are of course Lindemans, Belle-vue, and Boon. I've had the Kriek in each except Boon.

The bottle came corked, of course, typical of this style of Belgian beer. The beer was served in a cantillon glass and radiated a beautiful ruby red color. The picture Micheal Jackson uses in his 'Ultimate Beer' book is exactly accurate. The head settles quickly, but a small one was present the entire duration of my sampling.

One of the most interesting parts of this beer was the smell. I gave this a 5 not because if smelled amazing, in fact it didn't. It smelled, as ridiculous this sounds, similar to the inside of a barn. There was a girl sitting next to me who loved Lindemans, when she smelled it she said it smell like "manure." haha... In any event, it smells very authentic, I wouldn't go as far as manure though. I gave it a 5 because I couldn't stop smelling it - it was such an interestingly unique smell.

Now - for the taste. Well, as the front of the bottle says... "100% Lambic." This beer is an authentic lambic, no saccharin's and other sweeteners added in like in Lindemans. Tastes extremely sour and tarty - to the point where I had to laugh and say "wow!" after the first sip. I wish all lambics tasted like this. The cherry flavor is very evident but for once - a lambic that doesn't taste like a wine cooler! This stuff tastes a lot more like a beer with a hint of "pasture." Its great!

The mouthfeel and drinkility were both excellent. I didn't give them 5's because I'm not sure if it is possible to drink this beer all night - I only had one bottle. I think personally I could, but most people probably couldn't. Overall it was very refreshing and light in the mouth in addition to heavy stabs of sourness and tartiness as it explores all areas of the tongue.

Before I say anything, let me say that this was my first Cantillon and that I am blown away. This is the highest review I've ever given, and it deserves all the praise people bestow on it. Sheer Excellence.

Appearance: ON TAP!!!! This is served in a burgundy glass. The color is a rich and opaque red with some purple shades. Like a strong ruby. There is only the faintest lace on the edges of the surface, near the glass. It doesn't seem to exhibit legs like a wine might.

Smell: Wow. I spent close to 2 minutes just smelling this. The burgundy glass was the perfect ware to coax the nose into a succint little effluent. Packs a bit of a punch, too. Cherries. So fresh and yet, slighted by the lambic into having an alluring funky note. There's an obvious sourness to them as well. This is not your girlfriend's lambic. This is the real thing, and it's awesome.

Taste: This is everything I could ever need. I can safely proclaim this as the earth's most perfect disgestif. This has such a real flavor of cherries, it's unbelieveable. The sweetness is captured to make this sultry, but the sourness is there too. The lambic blends a note of the fecund earth of the Belgian countryside, the slightly rotten smell of damp vegetation, the barnyard manure (the good part of it, not the poopy part- people living near farms can relate, right? There's a niceness in barnyards, but city folk don't understand) Well, it's all here. It's the undeniable influence of the wild Brett yeast, floating around out there. Thank God it landed in some open barrels of wort and helped create this superior beer. I love this.

Mouthfeel: It's nice when cold and nice when warm. It is in a constant state of flux, it changes in the air and runs a gammut from pretty to ugly. The carbonation is active and helps this to sink a full stomach into complete content. It's perfect.

Drinkability: It's perfect. It's the perfect beer. I can't say I have the pleasure of drinking lots and lots of this, but it's not to say I couldn't. It's a lot like a Flanders Red in its sourness, but maybe that's just what a true lambic wants. I love this beer. I'm blubbering like a schoolgirl. It's that good. I need to purchase multiple bottles and cross my fingers that they're as good as this is fresh off the tap.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Appeance: Pours a dark ruby with a nice, almost reddish head. Carbonation is massive, and so is the lacing.

Smell: Cherries. Freshly picked, ripe as hell cherries.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Cherries. Freshly picked, ripe as hell cherries. Hah. Tart like no other beer. Very sherry-like, with such a massive fruityness. Hard to believe it's beer. The mouthfeel is fizzy and thin, but appropriate.

Drinkability and Overall: This is great beer. One of the most unique beers I've ever had (I've said this alot lately). Tart, powerful, and brilliant. It's just so powerful, I don't think this would be a very drinkable beer. This review is from notes from my last session (about 4 hours ago) and I can still taste it! Wow.

3.65/5  rDev -13.9%

ClarkVV is helping to educate me on Lambics. I can smell the horse blanket from about 10 feet. Thecherry aroma stays in the background but it is still there. It pours a dusty reddish amber color with a pinkish head. Flavor goes from sour to barnyard back to sour with a tingling mouthfeel that helps to make up for the dryness. The barnyard fades away with every sip, and the tartness accentuates the cherry. Thanks Clark.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

(Added review) Ah, the politics of fruit and beer. I believe the 2004 is vastly different from prior bottlings, and my visit to the brewery in August suggests a new type of cherry may be the culprit (confirmation from the importer pending). Either way, the 2002 and 2003 are delightfully tart and overwhelmingly puckering; the 2004 is richly flavored with cherry. Either way, it's a winner. A little bump.

(Original review) Bottled in 2002. Huge sour aroma hits from the instant the cork is popped. My mouth was salivating left and right at the expectation of the much-desired tartness.

Poured blood red -- garnet, ruby, et cetera. The medium-sized head sputters out like cola fizz. Only very slightly cloudy since, at the recommendation of the back label, I tried to avoid decanting too much of the yeast.

Poignantly sour aroma. Very acidic in the nose. A light but very discernable cherry aroma is buried underneath powerfully crafted sourness. Similarly, the cherry is fairly light and fleeting despite the bright, vibrant color. Light, and crisp, this is a true delight and very easy on the tongue despite the initial feeling that it's somehow biting or caustic. Indeed, it's quite the opposite -- pure fucking joy.

Tart, acidic, and sour from the tip of the tongue to the back of the throat. You get used to it after a while, and the cherry becomes slightly more prominent, and it's certainly just a tiny bit bigger on the tip of the tongue.

An amazing, amazing beer. Anyone looking for a true-to-form, delight-to-drink lambic ought to try this at his or her earliest convenience.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon