Follow our progress ...

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Reviews: 701 | Ratings: 2,296
4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

2001 bottle, served in a sniffer glass. Pours out a bright red color with a surprising head. Nose is quite tart, moderately funky with a light cheese-like note. Incredibly sour taste, quite piquant; good cherry flavor, though without the slightest hint of sweetness I didn't identify it as such for a moment; metallic, coppery taste with hints of musty, wet soil. Bone dry, acidic finish that lingers long after the last taste. Body is thin, with a puckering, quite tannic texture.

Quite a treat! I'd been saving this in my fridge for the past 3 years, and presented it at the 2006 Dallas BA tasting. Unfortunately, it wasn't to everyone's taste and I ended up drinking most of the bottle myself. Hmm, or make that "quite fortunately".

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

Vintage 1997
375ml corked and capped bottle.

Lively pour reveals a lush, clear, reddish body, and a thick, frothy, pink head.
Foam cap slowly recedes to a full surface coating with raised edges.
A fine column of meandering bubbles ascend relentlessly from the base of the tulip glass.
Aromatics are largely acidic-laced dried cherries and funk.
A delicious and complex balance of fruit, cheese rind, wet leather, mold-dusted cedar boards, mustard greens, and horsestalls.
Thin to medium bodied, puckering and crisp, with a slight residual.
Pallet is also largely acidic and sour, almost to the point of being sharp.
Somewhat subdued cherry essense is not missed, and blends well with the tart, lemony, and sherry vinegar base.
Authentic to the point of a jowel-watering testamony, and exceedingly complex at the nine year old mark.
Finishes puckeringly, with a fading cherry wave, and prickly on the back of the throat.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%

I had a 12 oz. bottle of the Cantillon Kriek at The Publick House in Brookline.

Appearance: Pours a hazy deep red with a fleeting pink head. Small bubbles feed a faint ring.

Smell: Sour cherries and acidic sourness. The characteristic Cantillon funk is evident and becomes more prominent upon swirling. I poured the remaining beer with yeast into my glass when I had finished and the aroma became much funkier.

Taste: Puckeringly sour. Sweet cherry flavors briefly appear above the sourness. The finish is sour with funky almost savory flavors. Decanting the yeast moderated the sourness somewhat.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied wih a light oiliness. There is tingly carbonation evident, though it isn't strong it's much more noticable when compared to other Cantillon offerings.

Drinkability: Very tasty, though made for sipping.

Overall: Another excellent lambic from Cantillon.

Appearance: Deep red in color, very little head, save for scattered, patchy foam, little, or perhaps no carbonation.

Aroma: Sour cherries, and a barnyard note of goat and soured hay.

Taste: Intense sourness at the open, perceived as lemon juice, this dominates from start to finish. Earthy notes are also present throughout. Late in the taste a note somewhat like blue cheese appears. Finishes intensely dry with a lingering tang of acidity. The cherry notes are perceptible, but are quite subdued.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, very full, excellent.

Drinkability/notes: A striking example of the style, certainly a must to try. Many thanks to BA HardTarget for his generosity in sharing this treasure.

4.09/5  rDev -3.8%

375 cL bottle poured into a thin pilsner.

fairly clear bright red with an effervescing light pink head that falls quickly. looks like a cherry soda.

powerfully tart and sour aroma. tart apples, vinegar, funky cheese, sour lemon rinds. very faint whiff of cherries.

bitingly tart acidity. light mouthfeel with a medium carbonation and a powerfully drying finish. flavor is more powerful than Cantillon's gueuze and sticks to your teeth. less cherry flavor that i expected, but it adds some nice tartness overall. powerful finish definitely overwhelms the other flavors, but it's a drinkable, extremely well-made brew.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Pours a cherry red with a layer of pink foam which drops to form a thin ring.

S - Vinegar, must, faint whiff of cherries.

T - Immediately tart, then cherries smooth it out before the sour tartness kicks up a notch and leaves a dry/sour aftertaste.

M - Light and dry. Carbonation is low and adds to the drink well.

D - After the initial shock of the first mouthful it's very moreish and hard to put the glass down. I could handle 2 or 3 of these very well, but not something I would want to drink all day.

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

Tried it on draught at Akkurat in Stockholm, Sweden, in November 2005.

Poured a deep red color, with a pink head.
Very sour scent and flavor, typical of the Cantillon beers.
This is what a kriek from a lambic really should taste like.

It's not at all sweet or almondy like some kriek, prepare for a very sour experience.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a review of the Kriek 100% lambic blended with cherries. It is a bright cherry red colored beer. Has an interesting vinegar/fruity smell to it. Makes me thirsty, but not for the faint of heart. Very pungent, fills my room with this great odor. The cherry flavor comes out sort of in the middle of the flavor profile. The first taste is an overwhelmingly sour pucker your face flavor. Finishes nice and sweet. Actually tastes a little like raspberry which makes me anticipate tasting the raspberry flavored one all the more. Sort of has a sour starburst like flavor profile, so if you don't like those, stay away. Medium body, a little syrupy to go with the very sweet flavor. Enough carbonation to feel it in my mouth, even though I don't see much in the glass. I could see regularly drinking this one. Very good.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer poured a color that reminded me of cherries and brandy. The paper thin egg shell head added a superb contrast to the color and stuck around for some time.

Smelled like a bale of hay that has been out in a field all summer long that is blended into a slight doughy bread character. This is blended into a green apple and lemon sourness with a pronounced tart cherry. The intricate blend between the musky straw and cherry was really awesome. I spent more time with my nose shoved in my tulip huffing away than I did drinking.

The taste began with a sharp sting on the end of my tongue that flowed along the sides of my tongue picking up some tart and tangy electric sourness. As it his the middle of my tongue, it picked up some oak and mossy wood flavors with just a hint of sour milk. It then blossomed into a tart cherry skin with minimal sweetness. Great dynamics here. As this one warmed up, the sting faded and the fruity sweetness became more pronounced.

The mouth feel was light, dry and very clean with only a light, small bubbled carbonation.

This beer was a joy ride for the senses that broadened my experience of lambics. Sadly, I tried this for the first time at a beer tasting I hosted and the uninitiated beer drinkers there thought this was horrible. I would have to admit that this beer is best saved for those with a decent knowledge of beer, or it may come across like “tuna”, “sweet relish” and many other less than favorable descriptions. This is not a beginner beer. Not being a beginner, I thought it was a trip well worth the ride.

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

The beer was poured into champagne flutes.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear pink to light red coloration. The beer is pretty much flat for carbonation. Very thin whisp of lacing remain on the glass.

Smell: The beer has a very acidic cherry vinegar smell on intial smelling. Further smelling of the beer reveals a pleasant wheaty, asparagus funky pleasing yeasty smell. The smell alone was enough to convince my buddy not to even try the beer. More for me ha ha ha.

Taste: The beer most definately has a very slap you in the mouth acidic tart cherry punch. The beer then goes into a very funky wild yeast spin. The beer is definately a complex mother and is not for every beer drinker.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: Inspite of all the acidic tartness the beer still manages to be very drinkable and refreshing. The beer has a very flat light bodied consistancy.

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, cork dated 2003. I bought this recently in the US.

Cork comes out with virtually no pop. beer pours in glass a cherry red color with about a 25% faintly pinkish white head, over a few minutes this is down to minimal but some decent lacing. looks nice.

smell typical cantillon extreme sour, acidic. i personally cannot find cherry in the nose.

front of taste is moderately sour but grows into a puckering-strong sourness. there is a faint hint of underlying sweetness and a tiny hint of fruit, maybe, in the aftertaste. This is a proper kriek, without excess sweetening as is done in many of the other kriek lambics. It is yet another example of why cantillon is at the top of the pack and really without rival anymore when it comes to traditional lambics.

That said, beyond any doubt this style of lambic is a very acquired taste and few people without lambic/gueuze background will instantly love something this acidic.

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%

Rather elegant packaging, at least compared to American beers. Sealed with foil, capped, and with a cork, mine being dated 2004. Fizzy soda-like head, that actually sticks around in my Lindemans lambic glass. Dark red body, somewhat translucent if held up to light.

Smells good & tart. Doesnt seem as strong in those qualities as the other two Cantillons I have had.

But oh my, it is certainly tart/sour in the taste. Perhaps stronger than the other two I've had? I think it has more sourness than actual flavor, which is interesting. I cant really pick up on much cherry taste. At least, not the kind of sweet candy cherry flavor Americans are used to.

The mouthfeel is a tart, sour wallop. Awesome and powerful.

I dont think any normal person would have more than one of these at a sitting, considering the price ($6 per 12oz bottle), and the extreme characteristics. Glad I got to try it, and maybe I will have it again one day if I happen upon it.

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer was difficult to get into at first and my initial reaction was to wince due to the puckery sourness. However, the more that I drank, the more intrigued I was. After having Lindeman's kriek, which tasted like dirty socks dipped in beer and then wrung out into a pint glass, I was a little afraid of cherry beer, but the Cantillon kriek took me into a new world of goodness and flavor. This beer is a beautiful red color and the aroma is that of cherries and tartness. The taste, however, is what makes this beer unlike any other that I have ever experienced. The cherry flavor gives way to a unique tartness that remains on the tongue long into the evening.

Definitelty one that I would recommend.

3.71/5  rDev -12.7%

I wasn't too big on this one. The red pink body with a top of girlie pink foam let you know what's coming. Smell is very acidic with small fractions of candied fruit and a funk of something rotten. The taste is utterly acid with the cherry only prevealent in the aftertaste. This really lives in the memory as the carbonation fizzs off my tongue it leaves the life of cherry and floral smells. A nice sipper but not something I would buy but I wouldn't mind helping to drink by splitting a bottle.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Cork says: bottled in 2005

This beer poured a striking red color. A thin, pinkish head formed before receding to a ring of foam around the glass.

It has a sharp, acidic odor.

The taste is very sour and dry, though not as much as other Kriek beers I've tried. I can defiantly taste the cherries. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is very good. The carbonation is very gentle.

The drinkability is good. Like any Lambic, it is not something I would ever want to drink fast or in excess, but is a pleasure to consume being what it is.

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

02/07/06- Purchased at Plumpjack's in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, wrapped and corked. Not sure what year it was from. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Took off the cap and there appeared to be a brown liquid that had seeped out. Smelled and it smelled very much like vinegar. Was preparing for a drain pour. But...poured a wonderful crushed cherry dark red. Almost blood red, had a nice 3/4 inch rose colored spritzy head and had average lacing.

Smell- Didn't smell at all like vinegar, thank goodness. Didn't catch a bunch of funk like I was expecting from a traditional Cantillon. Some, but not equal to some of the others. There was a really nice fresh tart cherry scent though. Strong cherry and nothing else.

Taste- As most do..starts out tart and finishes even more tart. Cherry orchard flavor with a mild hop bitterness. Just truckloads of fresh and sour cherries.

Mouthfeel- Tart, tart and more tart. Doesn't burn my gut as much as others did though. Light carbonation turns to none once you get into the heart of the beer.

Drinkability- Probably the most drinkable Cantillon beer I have had to date. Great flavors and a pleasure to drink.

3.82/5  rDev -10.1%

pale pink color with a very lightly pink head, good and thick. smell: whew! some cherries but mostly supertart sourness makes me drool. palate is very austere, tart, dry, most puckering thing ever. some fruit. very, very tart. very dry finish. I liked it, but it is definitely at the dry and mouth-puckering end of the spectrum.

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

500th Personal beer review on BA

Bottle Inspection: What a wonderful label. While it isn’t information rich, it’s a very nice piece of art. Cork notes 2003 vintage.

Aroma: A bit of vinegar, ass, sour cherry, old leather, barnyard, and rotting hay. Wow that’s intense. This is my first true lambic, so I’m a little unaccustomed to what I’m experiencing. Still, my “nut check” passes and I venture on. As I get used to the onslaught, I pick out cherry pit and dusty cobweb.

Appearance: Clear ruby/blood red glass shows no lace from the quickly dying head of tinged pink. A close look shows small carbonation streams but they don’t seem to even try to form a head

Flavor: Vinegar, but GOOD vinegar. Very tart. Pop Tart? No, lemon juice tart. Very tart. The cherry offers a mild background to the intense organic flavor. I get a fair dose of “baby diaper”, but, it works! By far the most unusual beer I’ve tried.

Mouthfeel: BONE dry. Not just dry, but massive pucker followed by chewing motions just trying to get some saliva working again. Again, unlike any beer I’ve ever had.

Overall Impression: Wow. Lemon juice intensity is about right, but much easier to drink. After the initial slap in the face, I got used to the FUNK it portrays and started to “get it”. First sip was shiver and retreat, but now, I want more. Big thanks to Stonecrusher for the kick in the sack. Now I know what it’s all about. Lindemans is a Lambic? HAHAHAHA

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%

Interesting shade of red, looks like a hazy grape juice almost. Fizzy carbonation, with no head. Musty aroma full of horse blanket and sour cherries. Also a slight spiciness. Wonderfully funky flavor. Nice pucker from the sourness, with a nice cherry finish. This is very tart and dry. This is the most sour lambic I've had but really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be seeking more of this style out!

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Cotk says bottled in 2003. Pours with light head. Body is cherry red with brownish tinge. Smells every bit as tart as non fruit lambics I've had, this is my first fruit lambic. Funk increases with temperature.

Taste is tart with slight cherry. Funks up as it wasrms up, and the cherry increases its presence as well. Hint of vanilla oak for a brief moment, this stuff coats my teeth. Mouthfeel is puckering with an everlasting sour finish. Drinkable for me, but I'll drink everything.

2.97/5  rDev -30.1%

Okay, this one just did not do anything for me. This was the first of three fruity beers I tried in a row, but my tastebuds were just shot ofter this one for a while. Not that there's anything wrong with this beer, but maybe I just don't like the style (Kriek's). Too bitter and tart with a aftertaste that just continues too long. I may grow into this style later, but just not one of my favorite lambics.

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pouring to a nice glowing dark red with a thin layer of head, this looks nice.

The smell is very powerful and exclusively of cherry and wild yeast. The taste starts off very sour and leads to an overwhelming amount of cherry. The presence in the mouth is extremely sharp, while the stuff is quite drinkable for the amount of flavor it has.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

12oz bottle received from ngandhi as part of BIF 12. Thanks for the opportunity. Black foiled cap and cork. Cork noted bottled in 2003.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 1/2" desert rose head above the clear cherry red brew. Head fades quickly down to a layer of bubbles, with minimal to average lacing, both of which are par for the style. Aroma is musky tart cherries. Taste is a bit of malt upfront, quickly shouted down by almost controlled sourness, with cherry tinges coming in later, and closes with extreme dryness on the palate. Mouthfeel and drinkabilty are both good, and this was an enjoyable treat.

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

2003 bottling.

Appearance is a beautiful ruby red with a small white head that instantly fades into a small ring around the glass. Smell is potently sour and funky. Not just a little mustiness here, but a full-fledged acidic bile smell. I love it. Taste is shockingly sour. Until your tastebuds adjust, all you taste is the face-disfiguring sourness, but then as it warms and you adjust (though it never loses its sharp sourness) you get some up front sweetness from the malt, and the cherry flavor really comes through. Almost tastes like cherries that have gone horribly bad at some point. This is possibly the most acidic drink I have ever had. Its dryness is beyond compare. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, very quenching. Due to its overpowering flavor, this is a sipper, but I could down a whole 750 by myself. Lip smackingly good.

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Cork removed with a corkscrew; bottling date of 2004 is given on the side of the cork. No explosive carbonation; on pouring into a wine glass there is very little head. A small coating of bubbles adhere to the bottom of my glass and tiny bubbles continuously rise through the hazy red brew.

Aroma is dominated by extremely sour cherries, with some fruit peel as well. Taste is very sour, with some bready flavors as well along with a boatload of fruit. Mouthfeel is ticklish with very fine carbonation. Finish is extremely dry and tart. Delicious beer from what might be my favorite non-US brewery.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon