Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,089 | Reviews: 666
3.71/5  rDev -14.7%

I wasn't too big on this one. The red pink body with a top of girlie pink foam let you know what's coming. Smell is very acidic with small fractions of candied fruit and a funk of something rotten. The taste is utterly acid with the cherry only prevealent in the aftertaste. This really lives in the memory as the carbonation fizzs off my tongue it leaves the life of cherry and floral smells. A nice sipper but not something I would buy but I wouldn't mind helping to drink by splitting a bottle.

3.71/5  rDev -14.7%

Reviewed with speedwayjim and dj schnitzel served out of a tulip on 9/25/09.

Appearance: cloudy, bloody red with hints of orange.

Smell: sour cherries and earthy wood

Taste: opens with sour unripened cherries, which last till the end. I taste what think is brett at the finish leaving a pucker effect.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with and intense puckering affect.

Drinkability: This is growing on me but its drinkability is rather low, but worth a try.

3.7/5  rDev -14.9%

poured into a Chimay goblet.

color- dark rose.
smell- vinegar and cherries
taste- vary sour. made my face pucker. wasn't really digging it much at first but it grew on me by the end of the bottle. not really a style i think i'm gonna try again for a while but over all decent.
drinkability- wouldn't want to drink more than one bottle.

Bottle @ brewery.

I prefered the raspberry based lambic. Found the cherry flavors more cough/syrupy sweet, with less of the salty tartness. More dark cherry flavors, more my preference, I could see how others would enjoy this though. Everyone needs to sample cantillon brews, this one included.

3.7/5  rDev -14.9%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottled on October 28, 2008.

A: Medium red body. One-finger light pink head that fades to nothing.

S: Cherries, vinegar, and a touch of funk.

T: Any cherry flavor that might have been present has long since left the building. Surprisingly, there isn't even really any funkiness. Just an unrelenting barrage of sourness. I will say that it does grow on you after a while.

M: Light-bodied, a bit of carbonation.

D: This is not a training wheels lambic by any stretch of the imagination. This is hardcore like Quick Draw McGraw. And to be honest, it's not really up my alley. But if only the most authentic lambics will do for you, then have at it.

3.69/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Pours a cloudy ruby red. A small white, nearly red cap of foam forms. Light lace.
S: A funky, musky, doughy malt aroma that is fruity. Mostly cherries. A sweet tartness from the fruit used. Lots of barnyard goodness.
T: Wow, this is sour. Mouthpuckering. After I get use to the sourness a light cherry fruitiness and funky barnyard hey.
M/D: A light body, but with a nice snappy crispness. The sourness really makes this hard for me to drink.

The sourness is really a shock to the senses at first. I never really get past it, but I do appreciate the craft that went in to the making this. Not an everyday beer, but very interesting to try. Nothing else I have had so far is quite like it.

3.67/5  rDev -15.6%

I picked this up during a recent trip to Bloomington with my kids. Love Cantillon's beer and was looking forward to trying what many regard to be the "most sour" of the sours. This was beer number three during a tasting with a group of four of us. It did not disappoint.

Poured into my Stone snifter, I could have convinced myself that I was drinking a V8 or a Bloody Mary when I held it up to the light. A cloudy reddish pink suspension that produced a modest pink-hued head and left no lace throughout the session. Definitely off to a good start.

Let me preface this next rant with a little history - so it has only been the past couple of years or so that I have really started trying a bunch of different sour beers. As I've now had several dozen of them, I've really grown to appreciate the funky barnyardy smell that is associated with many of them. I grew up a on a farm and am always amazed by how much a beer can smell like that combination of must, mold, wet hay, horse piss, sweat, etc. that you'd smell in an old barn...but I like it. Weird for most, but certainly understood by anyone who digs sours. Before this beer warmed up, it literally smelled like a fresh cow-pie...or a toddler's dirty diaper that had spent too much time in the sun. There was a hint of cherry in there as well, but it was significantly overshadowed by the funk. A bit too much for me. This definitely calmed down as the beer warmed up a bit as well.

Judging from the smell, I was fully anticipating not liking the flavor of this beer. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised and actually quite pleased. The first few drinks were not as sour as I expected, but picked up as the beer warmed. Acidic, tart, and sour cherry were the first thoughts that came to mind upon drinking. A mild (but very functional) amount of carbonation and a medium-body aided the experience of the brew, and by the end I realized that I actually quite enjoyed this beer. The cherry flavor is a bit over-powered by the extreme tartness, but gratefully the sour did not cross the line for me. I really did enjoy it. I can't imagine that I have ever reviewed a beer with such a large gap between smell and taste...

Drinkability on this guy takes a hit largely because I'm not quite sure how much the inner-workings of my body could really handle. This is sour, and I'm sure if I'd had much more, I would have felt it...Although I did keep looking for more, long after my portion was gone. I really did enjoy what I had and will certainly buy it again the next time I see it.

Consumed: 6/13/2010

3.66/5  rDev -15.9%

pours a dark pink, not quite red. Into a snifter, little head due to pour. smelled pretty bad to be honest, sour infiltration of my nose. first taste is a shock to the senses, tingle in the back of my jaw. surprisingly smooth mouthfeel, i thought it would be more of a sting. overall drinkibility is ok, good to try. a true sour good tasting kriek lambic.

3.65/5  rDev -16.1%

Only the occassional dabbler into lambics, I found myself in the spirit of experimentation, so I grabbed the Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic and kicked its tires.

Popped the 750 ml wrapped, capped and corked bottle and poured a few fingers into my Duvel tulip. A tight patch of bubbles hugged the glass and a thin layer of head appeared.

The nose was slighty musty with cherries and cream prevelent.

Very sour, puckering taste. Musty and bitter from fermented cherries. Yowza.

The mouthfeel was equally sour and bitter in the finish. The sides of my tongue were attacked with very sweet tartiness, like the candy. Once again, yowza.

Clearly an acquired taste. Not a personal favorite style. Not a brew to introduce the consumer to the style either. See Monk's Flemish Sour Red ale (I know, not a lambic, but sour nonetheless). I may revisit this once my pallette comes to appreciate the style more.

3.65/5  rDev -16.1%

ClarkVV is helping to educate me on Lambics. I can smell the horse blanket from about 10 feet. Thecherry aroma stays in the background but it is still there. It pours a dusty reddish amber color with a pinkish head. Flavor goes from sour to barnyard back to sour with a tingling mouthfeel that helps to make up for the dryness. The barnyard fades away with every sip, and the tartness accentuates the cherry. Thanks Clark.

3.65/5  rDev -16.1%

10/13/10- Review of a 750 mL bottle.
A: Bright clear pinky red, nice white creamy head.
S: Barnyard funk, mild sour cherry, fresh fruit.
T: Vinegar tartness, apple cider, strong sour cherry, soda consistency.
M: Really frothy soda.
D: Pretty good.

You get what you'd expect. It's a pretty good kriek.

3.65/5  rDev -16.1%

This was an interesting beer from cantillon. I must admit to not being in any ways a great fan of Lambics but cantillon was out of the question in such a statement.

The pour right away reminds me of home made raspberry juice because of its imposing red tone with a white head that is thick but weak at the same time, and has some red tones as though "dirty" somehow.

The smell is strong in red fruits, amazingly attractive at once, combining further on a stronger beery feel that lets you understand this is no conventional juice (mike's hard lemonade folks).

The taste however unimpressed me. it was great if you put it all apart: fruits, an ale sensation, a sour ending...but all combined turned into a strong medicinal sensation, sort of like trying children's cough medicine. I overlook that because I know with a bit more expertise I'm sure I'll understand this beer much better. whenever back in belgie I'll give it a second chance.

3.65/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a thin red color with minor light red head and little red lace patches. A very tart smell of light fruits, mostly cherry (that's all I really smelled) and some oakiness. The cherry/fruit is there in bunches, but this medium-bodied brew is extremely tart, a little too tart. It goes down smooth but the tartness rubbed my tastebuds a little raw as it finishes very dry w/ tart and woody flavors. This is a beer designed to be sipped on as it complements a hearty meal; I did not have the pleasure to drink it over dinner so maybe my review is a little off.

3.63/5  rDev -16.6%

Cork 2014. 750 mL. Pour is dark ruby red, clear, with a pinkish head. Nose has a little paper, seltzery brett, some mushroom notes, with a moderate fleshy cherry. Flavor is quite simple, very little lambic, hints of leathery brett, strong cherry flesh, cherry juice, moderate carb, smooth feel and drinkable body, with a lightly sour finish.

3.61/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bright red body with a fizzy and foamy pink head. Leaves a little lace, but not much. Good retention of the head.

Funky, wet wood with sour cherry notes.

Fresh unsweetened cherry pie. Plenty of tartness from the wild yeast and the cherries. Very acidic. Some oak character and very little sweetness. The cherries are the definite highlight here.

Very dry and puckering. Light bodied.

This one is growing on me a little. I am finding that I like more sweetness in this style, but even without, this one has complexity and a real high quality to it. This won't be for everyone, but will please people wanting sour.

3.59/5  rDev -17.5%

375ml bottle into a tall tulip

A: Pours a slightly hazy ruby color with three fingers of the shortest lasting head I've ever seen. Seriously, the head was completely gone in less than ten seconds. Carbonation appears very strong, though.

S: Loads of musty Brett funk with sour cherries in the background. This beer is full of funk - quite musty. The cherries are subtle, but certainly there.

T: Cherries are now upfront with moderate lactic and acetic acid in the background. Brett funk is still there - lots of barnyard flavor. Pretty in your face with the sourness and the funk.

M: Light mouthfeel with strong carbonation.

O: A decent Kriek, but the acetic acid is a bit much. If everything was tuned down a bit in this beer the complexity would come out a bit more I think. It's tough to rate this style since there are so few traditional versions of it, but I prefer 3F by a large margin.

3.58/5  rDev -17.7%

Had a sample of this at the brewery following a tour of the place. Served cool from the bottle in a wine like glass.

A-ruby red body and a pink ring head.

S-dough, fruit stone and grass

T-very faint cherry flavor, sour, wine, .

M-light, sparkly

D-very nice complexity. Not a very evident cherry flavor. I would drink this again.

3.58/5  rDev -17.7%

On my hunt for non-chemically pimped up Kriek beers I ended up with a few good advices after posting on the BA forum. This was one of them.

A: A great blood red color with a pink two finger head.

S: Cherries, marzipan, cloves and some citrus notes.

T: SOUR... and then cherries, almonds, something woody and a slight bitterness.

M: Low carbonation and a dry finish.

D: Because of the sourness it's not a beer that I will drink a lot. Still SO MUCH better than all this Krieks that are nothing more than beer with added cherry juice and artifial sweeteners.

3.56/5  rDev -18.2%

A - Deep ruby red, decent head, very pretty, rather whimsical.

S - Somewhat fruity, but less rich than I had hoped/anticpated given its appearance.

T - Sour/tart in a pleasant way.

M - Light-bodied, thin, borderline watery.

D - A refreshing alternative to your average beer, good if you're in the mood for something a little different but not too sweet.

3.56/5  rDev -18.2%

This one pours a reddest of red colors with a pink head that takes its time leaving. Brilliant color. The aroma is very sour with a certain funk about it. I'm told that is characteristic of the Cantillon, so I'll just accept it. Super sweet and tart cherries. The flavor is much the same. Very tart. Very cherry. Finish is a bit dry ... and sour. This really isn't one of my favorite styles, but this is a well made version.

3.55/5  rDev -18.4%

A: Clear pinky red body with bubbles running up the glass. Light pink head which disappears in an instant.
S: Cider vinegar, brettanomyces yeast.
T: Very sour and vinegary. There's some sherbety cherry in the mix but the sourness is 95% of the flavour. Apart from a subtly warming maltiness in the finish there is also no aftertaste. Okay, it does have an incredibly refreshing mouthfeel, but it can't rely on sparkling sourness alone.
O: No flavour, just sourness, but it would go down great on a hot summer's day.

3.55/5  rDev -18.4%

A- Hazy red with no head and no activity.

S- Tart cherry nose some farmhouse funk.

T- Super tart flavor, a touch of cherry but mostly sour the sour just makes my mouth water.

M- No activity at all, thickness I think is ok still no 100% sure on this style.

D- A slow sipper very harsh to start.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In a word..SOUR. I’m a big fan of Flemish Sours, and have come to like the Lambics a lot on certain occassions, so the tartness of a beer does not bother me. However, I either got one past its prime, or this is meant to be over the top.

While it did feature a pleasant cherry aroma and flavor, these too were dampened by the tartness. That being said, the palate was a pleasant blend of the ultra-sour, followed closely by a sweet finish...both to an extreme.

All and all, this reminded me of some of those sour kid’s candies I’ve hd, where your mouth puckers up as you eat them, but for some reason, you come back for more. I’m sure I’ll be back for more of this in the future.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer on tap at Anam Cara served in the small Cantillon, wine style, tasting glass.

Filled to the top of the glass, it poured a cloudy reddish/burgundy body with no head. The nose was a little hard to make out in the bar. Some soft fruit and a touch of earthiness.

The taste caught me off guard. Very sour and dry. Tart and sour Cherries. Earthy with a fine carbonation. The best analogy I can think of for this beer is comparing it to cranberry juice. Most labmics are like grocery store variety, tart and sweet. This stuff on the other hand is like hand squeezed/no sugar added. You can definitely taste the difference, but it’s quite a shocker if you’ve never had it before. It ends extremely dry.

Overall a great, “true” labmic. Sour and dry. Not my cup of tea, but definitely worth trying if you want to experience the lambic spectrum.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark rasberry-like colour. The aroma of this Fruit Lambic beer is dominant by rasberry and cherry hints. There was cranberry flavour but i think the cherry flavour in this beer is dominant. Decent Fruit Lambic

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon