Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 668 | Hads: 2,133
4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer poured a color that reminded me of cherries and brandy. The paper thin egg shell head added a superb contrast to the color and stuck around for some time.

Smelled like a bale of hay that has been out in a field all summer long that is blended into a slight doughy bread character. This is blended into a green apple and lemon sourness with a pronounced tart cherry. The intricate blend between the musky straw and cherry was really awesome. I spent more time with my nose shoved in my tulip huffing away than I did drinking.

The taste began with a sharp sting on the end of my tongue that flowed along the sides of my tongue picking up some tart and tangy electric sourness. As it his the middle of my tongue, it picked up some oak and mossy wood flavors with just a hint of sour milk. It then blossomed into a tart cherry skin with minimal sweetness. Great dynamics here. As this one warmed up, the sting faded and the fruity sweetness became more pronounced.

The mouth feel was light, dry and very clean with only a light, small bubbled carbonation.

This beer was a joy ride for the senses that broadened my experience of lambics. Sadly, I tried this for the first time at a beer tasting I hosted and the uninitiated beer drinkers there thought this was horrible. I would have to admit that this beer is best saved for those with a decent knowledge of beer, or it may come across like “tuna”, “sweet relish” and many other less than favorable descriptions. This is not a beginner beer. Not being a beginner, I thought it was a trip well worth the ride. (1,583 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

The beer was poured into champagne flutes.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear pink to light red coloration. The beer is pretty much flat for carbonation. Very thin whisp of lacing remain on the glass.

Smell: The beer has a very acidic cherry vinegar smell on intial smelling. Further smelling of the beer reveals a pleasant wheaty, asparagus funky pleasing yeasty smell. The smell alone was enough to convince my buddy not to even try the beer. More for me ha ha ha.

Taste: The beer most definately has a very slap you in the mouth acidic tart cherry punch. The beer then goes into a very funky wild yeast spin. The beer is definately a complex mother and is not for every beer drinker.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: Inspite of all the acidic tartness the beer still manages to be very drinkable and refreshing. The beer has a very flat light bodied consistancy. (869 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, cork dated 2003. I bought this recently in the US.

Cork comes out with virtually no pop. beer pours in glass a cherry red color with about a 25% faintly pinkish white head, over a few minutes this is down to minimal but some decent lacing. looks nice.

smell typical cantillon extreme sour, acidic. i personally cannot find cherry in the nose.

front of taste is moderately sour but grows into a puckering-strong sourness. there is a faint hint of underlying sweetness and a tiny hint of fruit, maybe, in the aftertaste. This is a proper kriek, without excess sweetening as is done in many of the other kriek lambics. It is yet another example of why cantillon is at the top of the pack and really without rival anymore when it comes to traditional lambics.

That said, beyond any doubt this style of lambic is a very acquired taste and few people without lambic/gueuze background will instantly love something this acidic. (948 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Rather elegant packaging, at least compared to American beers. Sealed with foil, capped, and with a cork, mine being dated 2004. Fizzy soda-like head, that actually sticks around in my Lindemans lambic glass. Dark red body, somewhat translucent if held up to light.

Smells good & tart. Doesnt seem as strong in those qualities as the other two Cantillons I have had.

But oh my, it is certainly tart/sour in the taste. Perhaps stronger than the other two I've had? I think it has more sourness than actual flavor, which is interesting. I cant really pick up on much cherry taste. At least, not the kind of sweet candy cherry flavor Americans are used to.

The mouthfeel is a tart, sour wallop. Awesome and powerful.

I dont think any normal person would have more than one of these at a sitting, considering the price ($6 per 12oz bottle), and the extreme characteristics. Glad I got to try it, and maybe I will have it again one day if I happen upon it. (963 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -1%

This beer was difficult to get into at first and my initial reaction was to wince due to the puckery sourness. However, the more that I drank, the more intrigued I was. After having Lindeman's kriek, which tasted like dirty socks dipped in beer and then wrung out into a pint glass, I was a little afraid of cherry beer, but the Cantillon kriek took me into a new world of goodness and flavor. This beer is a beautiful red color and the aroma is that of cherries and tartness. The taste, however, is what makes this beer unlike any other that I have ever experienced. The cherry flavor gives way to a unique tartness that remains on the tongue long into the evening.

Definitelty one that I would recommend. (710 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -11.5%

I wasn't too big on this one. The red pink body with a top of girlie pink foam let you know what's coming. Smell is very acidic with small fractions of candied fruit and a funk of something rotten. The taste is utterly acid with the cherry only prevealent in the aftertaste. This really lives in the memory as the carbonation fizzs off my tongue it leaves the life of cherry and floral smells. A nice sipper but not something I would buy but I wouldn't mind helping to drink by splitting a bottle. (497 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Cork says: bottled in 2005

This beer poured a striking red color. A thin, pinkish head formed before receding to a ring of foam around the glass.

It has a sharp, acidic odor.

The taste is very sour and dry, though not as much as other Kriek beers I've tried. I can defiantly taste the cherries. Very nice.

The mouthfeel is very good. The carbonation is very gentle.

The drinkability is good. Like any Lambic, it is not something I would ever want to drink fast or in excess, but is a pleasure to consume being what it is. (537 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

02/07/06- Purchased at Plumpjack's in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, wrapped and corked. Not sure what year it was from. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Took off the cap and there appeared to be a brown liquid that had seeped out. Smelled and it smelled very much like vinegar. Was preparing for a drain pour. But...poured a wonderful crushed cherry dark red. Almost blood red, had a nice 3/4 inch rose colored spritzy head and had average lacing.

Smell- Didn't smell at all like vinegar, thank goodness. Didn't catch a bunch of funk like I was expecting from a traditional Cantillon. Some, but not equal to some of the others. There was a really nice fresh tart cherry scent though. Strong cherry and nothing else.

Taste- As most do..starts out tart and finishes even more tart. Cherry orchard flavor with a mild hop bitterness. Just truckloads of fresh and sour cherries.

Mouthfeel- Tart, tart and more tart. Doesn't burn my gut as much as others did though. Light carbonation turns to none once you get into the heart of the beer.

Drinkability- Probably the most drinkable Cantillon beer I have had to date. Great flavors and a pleasure to drink. (1,192 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -8.8%

pale pink color with a very lightly pink head, good and thick. smell: whew! some cherries but mostly supertart sourness makes me drool. palate is very austere, tart, dry, most puckering thing ever. some fruit. very, very tart. very dry finish. I liked it, but it is definitely at the dry and mouth-puckering end of the spectrum. (328 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

500th Personal beer review on BA

Bottle Inspection: What a wonderful label. While it isn’t information rich, it’s a very nice piece of art. Cork notes 2003 vintage.

Aroma: A bit of vinegar, ass, sour cherry, old leather, barnyard, and rotting hay. Wow that’s intense. This is my first true lambic, so I’m a little unaccustomed to what I’m experiencing. Still, my “nut check” passes and I venture on. As I get used to the onslaught, I pick out cherry pit and dusty cobweb.

Appearance: Clear ruby/blood red glass shows no lace from the quickly dying head of tinged pink. A close look shows small carbonation streams but they don’t seem to even try to form a head

Flavor: Vinegar, but GOOD vinegar. Very tart. Pop Tart? No, lemon juice tart. Very tart. The cherry offers a mild background to the intense organic flavor. I get a fair dose of “baby diaper”, but, it works! By far the most unusual beer I’ve tried.

Mouthfeel: BONE dry. Not just dry, but massive pucker followed by chewing motions just trying to get some saliva working again. Again, unlike any beer I’ve ever had.

Overall Impression: Wow. Lemon juice intensity is about right, but much easier to drink. After the initial slap in the face, I got used to the FUNK it portrays and started to “get it”. First sip was shiver and retreat, but now, I want more. Big thanks to Stonecrusher for the kick in the sack. Now I know what it’s all about. Lindemans is a Lambic? HAHAHAHA (1,466 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Interesting shade of red, looks like a hazy grape juice almost. Fizzy carbonation, with no head. Musty aroma full of horse blanket and sour cherries. Also a slight spiciness. Wonderfully funky flavor. Nice pucker from the sourness, with a nice cherry finish. This is very tart and dry. This is the most sour lambic I've had but really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be seeking more of this style out! (397 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Cotk says bottled in 2003. Pours with light head. Body is cherry red with brownish tinge. Smells every bit as tart as non fruit lambics I've had, this is my first fruit lambic. Funk increases with temperature.

Taste is tart with slight cherry. Funks up as it wasrms up, and the cherry increases its presence as well. Hint of vanilla oak for a brief moment, this stuff coats my teeth. Mouthfeel is puckering with an everlasting sour finish. Drinkable for me, but I'll drink everything. (488 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -29.1%

Okay, this one just did not do anything for me. This was the first of three fruity beers I tried in a row, but my tastebuds were just shot ofter this one for a while. Not that there's anything wrong with this beer, but maybe I just don't like the style (Kriek's). Too bitter and tart with a aftertaste that just continues too long. I may grow into this style later, but just not one of my favorite lambics. (406 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pouring to a nice glowing dark red with a thin layer of head, this looks nice.

The smell is very powerful and exclusively of cherry and wild yeast. The taste starts off very sour and leads to an overwhelming amount of cherry. The presence in the mouth is extremely sharp, while the stuff is quite drinkable for the amount of flavor it has. (342 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz bottle received from ngandhi as part of BIF 12. Thanks for the opportunity. Black foiled cap and cork. Cork noted bottled in 2003.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a 1/2" desert rose head above the clear cherry red brew. Head fades quickly down to a layer of bubbles, with minimal to average lacing, both of which are par for the style. Aroma is musky tart cherries. Taste is a bit of malt upfront, quickly shouted down by almost controlled sourness, with cherry tinges coming in later, and closes with extreme dryness on the palate. Mouthfeel and drinkabilty are both good, and this was an enjoyable treat. (622 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.1%

2003 bottling.

Appearance is a beautiful ruby red with a small white head that instantly fades into a small ring around the glass. Smell is potently sour and funky. Not just a little mustiness here, but a full-fledged acidic bile smell. I love it. Taste is shockingly sour. Until your tastebuds adjust, all you taste is the face-disfiguring sourness, but then as it warms and you adjust (though it never loses its sharp sourness) you get some up front sweetness from the malt, and the cherry flavor really comes through. Almost tastes like cherries that have gone horribly bad at some point. This is possibly the most acidic drink I have ever had. Its dryness is beyond compare. Mouthfeel is thin and crisp, very quenching. Due to its overpowering flavor, this is a sipper, but I could down a whole 750 by myself. Lip smackingly good. (837 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Cork removed with a corkscrew; bottling date of 2004 is given on the side of the cork. No explosive carbonation; on pouring into a wine glass there is very little head. A small coating of bubbles adhere to the bottom of my glass and tiny bubbles continuously rise through the hazy red brew.

Aroma is dominated by extremely sour cherries, with some fruit peel as well. Taste is very sour, with some bready flavors as well along with a boatload of fruit. Mouthfeel is ticklish with very fine carbonation. Finish is extremely dry and tart. Delicious beer from what might be my favorite non-US brewery. (602 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Well...it took me two days to open this beer...literally. I didn't realize there was a cork underneath the cap. Had to buy a corkscrew today just to get at this. The smell coming through the cork was tantalizing.

Pours a unique strawberry/garnet red with a good bit of haze. No head formation at all. Aroma is overloaded with tart smells which penetrate the nose with sour cherries and apples causing the backs of my jaw to hurt just thinking about it. Could be a little stronger. Just as suspected there is an overload of sourness which I absolutely love. Taste is sweet and dry at the same time. Comes across like a cherry sweettart candy with a bit of peppery spiciness. Mouthfeel is sweet and dry at the same time. The sourness causes my mouth to salivate like crazy but this beer finishes dry making you want to come back for more. Drinkability is great too. Even though this beer is extremely sour its nicely drinkable. Not overwhelming because of the dry finish which dimenishes the sourness quickly.

Overall, a great beer. Definately worth the money to pick this one up, especially if you are just experimenting with lambics. (1,139 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

1996 bottling.

It seems to be showing it's age in comparison to some fresher bottles I've had.

Still has that deep pink color and Champagne-like carbonation. Aroma is classic lambic, all funky and barnyard and Brett. However, very little fruit aroma is still there.

Similar on the taste. Classic Cantillon sourness and funk (which I love) but the cherry is now just an afterthought. You can tell that it's there but it's not nearly as prevalent as in newer bottles.

I think I'll blow through the few more bottles of this that I have and save the cellaring for the Broucsella. (588 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -53.9%

Alright, so I'm no lambic afficianado. Maybe with time I'd learn to appreciate these brews, but after having the few I have I'm not warming to them in the slightest. This being among the very worst.

Pours a soft and cloudy medium red/blush in color with no head to speak of. Smells extremely organic, a bit like soil, leafy. Quite sour smelling, vaguely cherry-like. Taste is unexplainable, intensely sour, notes of rotting cherries and dirt. I'm sorry but this just isn't my bag I guess. I'll continue to try but as it is I had to force down what I did drink, some of it went straight down the drain.

Slàinte! (but for God's sake, be careful!) (651 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

1997 Vintage

Pinkish peach color.. heavenly funky sour aroma that makes you drool in anticipation for that sour twang your tastebuds are about to experience. Incredible tartness combines with a sour cherry and dry finish.. the sourness grows and grows and gets to the point where your mouth is still salivating from the utter onslaught your tastebuds have endured with each sip.. an amazing brew

Compared to the fresh bottles I have tried I would have to say this is much better aged (489 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

375ml capped and corked

Pours with a cloudy pinky red body, pink-white head with good retention

Smell, tart red wine acidity on the nose, some hint of grapes aswell as very sharp cherries. Slightly musky

Taste, very sour. Big upfront tartness, unripe cherries, no sweetness at all. Some winey notes

This is a great, ballsy unsweetened lambic. As true to the style as you get (386 characters)

Served on-tap in .2L Cantillon wine glass.

Deep red color, with very slight carbonation and no foam or lacing. Tart cherries in the nose with a touch of wine-like sourness and barn-yard must in the background. Flavor starts with the bitter cherries, develops acidic sharpness, and builds into rounded woodiness and lasting barn-yard funk. Not-quite still in the mouth. The slightly prickly carbonation and bitter dryness is quite quenching once you've gotten accustomed to the style. (486 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at the Moan & Dove. It wasn't even on the blackboard, thanks Moaner! I wasn't able to sample any on draft on my last trip to Belgium, the places I went to were either out or had stuff even more mind-blowing, as crazy as this may seem.

Appearance: A little bit more peachy than the bottled version, but definately has sanguine highlights. This one had a strawberry mousse on top, very nice indeed.

Smell: I can't get enough of that aroma of barnyard, leather, stale, spent grain and just plain sourness. I got apple last time, this one was more raspberry/cranberry.

Taste: Excellent astringency, if I drink this too regularly my tongue will go inside-out. The rasp/cran really showed up in full force on the palate and in the dry aftertaste it left. Body was a little lighter than usual, but just as refreshing as ever. (834 characters)

4.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

In teaching my roommates the wonders of non-Lindeman's lambics (not that there's anything wrong with that!) we picked up a bottle of the Kriek. Delightful stuff this, a luminescent ruby red with plenty of bubbles. Tart & funky nose with strong sour citric lemon juice notes. Cherries are more present in the dry aftertaste than anywhere else. Sour mega warhead funky barnyard takes the flavor. A lambic I always enjoy, but as I noted on draught, a bit sweet for me to have more than one really. Glad I'm sharing the bottle. Still a great offering from Cantillon. (562 characters)

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon