2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Ratings: 1,443 | Reviews: 617 | Show All Ratings:
MarkBlackout

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Bought a 12oz. bottle of this out of deference (in part) to Jason, co-creator of this site which we hold so dear. I was looking for a reasonable, but representative lambic. I followed the bottle's instructions and allowed this beer to breathe for about 30 minutes before pouring. It seemed to cut down on the strange funk emitting from the bottle (so THAT's horse blanket!). Not that I was entirely put off..
Pours nicely, without much head but boasting a bright CHERRY color, irrespective of fermentation.
The smell is strange, to be sure, but if I have any beef w/ it, it's only that it hides the wonderful qualities within:
Now to taste this 'Kriek'...
Oh god that's interesting. I'm not at all put off by the sourness of this brew, and it definitely has a 'natural' quality to the fermentation. It is as if the sourness has entirely taken the place of the sweet flavors in the cherries. Fantastic. It shows off (throws off?) oaky, funky flavors that I really like.
Others could dissect this beer's nuances better, but I'm content to wholeheartedly recommend it to any extreme beer lover. Carbonation was appropriately low. Drinkability is earth-shattering; who could expect that out of such a full-flavored beer?
I rated accordingly.

06-27-2005 17:46:26 | More by MarkBlackout
packetknife

Idaho

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

Ruby or pomegranite red, cloudy, bare minimum lace but no head. Appearance would be higher if it managed some sort of head. Smells of cherry pie with a nice tartness even on the nose. Dry.... I think this is the first time I actually felt like moisture was being sucked out of my system by a liquid. Dry dry. It tastes like I remember organic cherries out in CA tasting at the beginning of last winter. It's sour to be sure but it's perfectly reasonable and not nearly as artificial as others (although I certainly have a sweets addiction). DRY. Wow... that is really dry. It's a sensation I haven't felt before and I really enjoy it. For some reason I feel like I'm at a cafe in Belgium and expect the cured meat and cheeses to be delivered now.

06-11-2005 01:43:16 | More by packetknife
dwvarner77

4.43/5  rDev +3%

2003 vintage.

Pours a deep pink, almost purpleish, with a slight ring of pinkish foam around the rim. Very light active carbonation at the top of the pour.
The aroma is characteristic lambic; a dirty acidic cherry with a hint of vinegar. The sour in the nose makes my mouth water in anticipation.

The initial taste is all sour. Very strong impressions. This taste dwells, and a slight compliment of dirty malt and sour cherry barely break through. There's a little hint of cherry aftertaste after the swallow, but the sour persists adamently. Doesn't have the sweet flavor some lambics carry, so it's not for the timid beerdrinker. The fruit flavor in this one kindly takes a backseat to the trademark lambic taste. It becomes slightly more prevalent as the beer sits and breathes, but it doesn't overtake the sour lambic, making for a pleasant session.

Thin mouthfeel in and of itself, but there's a clear sour influence on the tongue, particularly on the sides and back. There's an acidic taste and feel in there too, but it's nice, not offensive.

Highly drinkable if you enjoy the style. What I particularly enjoy is that the lingering sour aftertastes nicely temper the rate at which you drink the beer, extending the enjoyment of the session.

05-21-2005 04:30:20 | More by dwvarner77
GCBrewingCo

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

The beer poured into the chalice clear ruby with a white and compact head that lasted fairly well to lace the glass.

The aroma was slightly cheesy when first opened and poured. That aroma lessened over time and a definite oaky presence came to the forefront. The oak was strong and sweaty. The aroma was not overly fruity and was only slightly reminiscent of cherries until the beer warmed at which time the fruity nature became more prominent.

The flavor was sour and acidic with definite grapeskin/seed flavors and light fruitiness from the cherries. There is no doubt this beer is not sweetened and that the cherries are not artificial. The oaky and sweaty flavors carry through from the aroma. The sourness rules the flavor.

The finish was dry with lasting sourness and oak/sweat with a light fruity presence, but not dicernable as cherry. The body was medium light and the sourness detracted from the drinkability just a bit.

12 ounce bottle, foil covering the cap and cork. Bottled in 2002 on cork.

05-04-2005 22:43:59 | More by GCBrewingCo
twelvsies

Maine

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

I'm currently on a mini-quest to discover lambics... let's check this one out. Pours a very bright and vibrant ruby red grapefruity color, no head. Smell is of sour cherries, cherry pie, freshly squeezed lemmons, and a slight funky manure smell, though not as pronounced as in other lambics, such as the Cantillon Rose I had last night. I'm starting to get a taste for these. I've had framboise, gueuze, and now kriek, and I have to say that the gueuze is my favorite. I find the fruit to be a little intrusive and un-beery, though hints of it don't bother me. This is delicious though, and not as overpowering in terms of fruit taste. Nice sour bitter taste, really puckering, even for a true lambic. Sublte cherry flavor. Nice funk aftertaste as well. Very fresh and authentic, no artificial shit. Dry mouthfeel, which is great. I don't think the fruit lambics will ever be my style, though I really love the gueuze, but this is undeniably tasty, regardless.

05-02-2005 01:29:07 | More by twelvsies
AlexJ

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

My first sip of Cantillon Kreik was in 1996, while working at Mr. Dunderbaks in the Allentown PA mall. I was fond of and used to the sweet flavor of Lindemans or Liefmans lambic, so thats what I was expecting. I hated it. Now, 9 years later it stands before me again. I've been enjoying Flanders ales, gueze, and funky saisons for the past 3 or 4 years, so I'm confident that I'll enjoy it this time.

It is a brownish, purplish color with a brief but fluffy head that is light pink tinted. There is not much in the way of lacing, but I wasn't expecting any.

The aromas, WOW! It instantly transports you to barnyard with all the accompanying aromas: hay, rotting grass, manure, cider, apples, horses, and bitter cherries. This is untamed and angry smelling, and I love it! The nose alone carries that funky sharpness right down to your guts before you even take a sip. Hardcore.

The flavor is different than anything I have ever tasted on this planet. It is a living barnyard stuffed into a 750 ml bottle. It has a acidic tartness throughout highlighted with lemon, vomit, hay, bitter herbs, faint bitter cherries, oak, mushrooms, and vinegar. As repulsive as that list is, it is delicious and impossible to stop sipping. A very new sensation. This is a very grown-up lambic, not for the same person who would enjoy a wine-cooler. Fantastic.

04-18-2005 21:42:23 | More by AlexJ
orbitalr0x

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Yet another Cantillon lambic I've been dying to try. Cork evacuates the bottle with a nice pop. Bottled in 2003. Pours from the bottle a stunning red with hints of pink...a nice bubbly pink head tops it off. Brilliant ruby when held up to the light. The nose comes with a sour, astringent cherry mixed with a splash of vinegar, a hint of lemon and a healthy dose of barnyard, dirty laundry funkiness that is trademark Cantillon...simply lovely.

First sip is a rush of acidic, mouth puckering sour. Hints of lemon peek through as the vibrant sour cherry tones flow over the palate. The barnyard, earthy, woody, dank funkiness is simply spectacular. A perfect mix of lambic and fruit that creates an incredibly rewarding drinking experience. Amazing.

Small bubbly carbonation couple with a nice light body that flows over the tongue. Each and every taste bud stands up at attention with each sip taking in the sublte complexities that only Cantillon can deliver. I have a feeling that when I finish this bottle I will be left aching for more and looking forward to the next time I can partake in this finely crafted, spontaneously fermented masterpiece. History, art, brewing and nature all in one bottle.

Bottled 18 April 2011..freshest bottle I've had - sampled 09-20-2011

Pours into my glass a deep vibrant cherry red with a fizzy pink head that disappears rather quickly. Aromas are bright with cherries along with an underlying deep sour funk. Lots of oak notes with lemon zest. Musty, earthy and a touch of vinegar. Lovely.

First sip brings bring sour cherry pucker upfront. Acidic funk and oak meld together. The underlying lambic is musty and earthy with lemon zest. Super complex, it finishes dry and extremely tart with lingering cherry notes.

Mouthfeel is light with very spritzy carbonation that explodes across the palate with each sip. Such a great depth of flavor, I love how every time I drink a Cantillon beer it's like a new experience. Wish it was easier to drink this more often!!

03-06-2005 06:26:07 | More by orbitalr0x
Matcpd

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

I was fortunate enough to try this beer in Brooklyn at the highly recommended Spyuten Duyvil. This beer changed my "lambic" life. Previous lambic brewers I have tried are of course Lindemans, Belle-vue, and Boon. I've had the Kriek in each except Boon.

The bottle came corked, of course, typical of this style of Belgian beer. The beer was served in a cantillon glass and radiated a beautiful ruby red color. The picture Micheal Jackson uses in his 'Ultimate Beer' book is exactly accurate. The head settles quickly, but a small one was present the entire duration of my sampling.

One of the most interesting parts of this beer was the smell. I gave this a 5 not because if smelled amazing, in fact it didn't. It smelled, as ridiculous this sounds, similar to the inside of a barn. There was a girl sitting next to me who loved Lindemans, when she smelled it she said it smell like "manure." haha... In any event, it smells very authentic, I wouldn't go as far as manure though. I gave it a 5 because I couldn't stop smelling it - it was such an interestingly unique smell.

Now - for the taste. Well, as the front of the bottle says... "100% Lambic." This beer is an authentic lambic, no saccharin's and other sweeteners added in like in Lindemans. Tastes extremely sour and tarty - to the point where I had to laugh and say "wow!" after the first sip. I wish all lambics tasted like this. The cherry flavor is very evident but for once - a lambic that doesn't taste like a wine cooler! This stuff tastes a lot more like a beer with a hint of "pasture." Its great!

The mouthfeel and drinkility were both excellent. I didn't give them 5's because I'm not sure if it is possible to drink this beer all night - I only had one bottle. I think personally I could, but most people probably couldn't. Overall it was very refreshing and light in the mouth in addition to heavy stabs of sourness and tartiness as it explores all areas of the tongue.

AWESOME & UNIQUE BEER! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

02-08-2005 20:17:15 | More by Matcpd
99bottles

Before I say anything, let me say that this was my first Cantillon and that I am blown away. This is the highest review I've ever given, and it deserves all the praise people bestow on it. Sheer Excellence.

Appearance: ON TAP!!!! This is served in a burgundy glass. The color is a rich and opaque red with some purple shades. Like a strong ruby. There is only the faintest lace on the edges of the surface, near the glass. It doesn't seem to exhibit legs like a wine might.

Smell: Wow. I spent close to 2 minutes just smelling this. The burgundy glass was the perfect ware to coax the nose into a succint little effluent. Packs a bit of a punch, too. Cherries. So fresh and yet, slighted by the lambic into having an alluring funky note. There's an obvious sourness to them as well. This is not your girlfriend's lambic. This is the real thing, and it's awesome.

Taste: This is everything I could ever need. I can safely proclaim this as the earth's most perfect disgestif. This has such a real flavor of cherries, it's unbelieveable. The sweetness is captured to make this sultry, but the sourness is there too. The lambic blends a note of the fecund earth of the Belgian countryside, the slightly rotten smell of damp vegetation, the barnyard manure (the good part of it, not the poopy part- people living near farms can relate, right? There's a niceness in barnyards, but city folk don't understand) Well, it's all here. It's the undeniable influence of the wild Brett yeast, floating around out there. Thank God it landed in some open barrels of wort and helped create this superior beer. I love this.

Mouthfeel: It's nice when cold and nice when warm. It is in a constant state of flux, it changes in the air and runs a gammut from pretty to ugly. The carbonation is active and helps this to sink a full stomach into complete content. It's perfect.

Drinkability: It's perfect. It's the perfect beer. I can't say I have the pleasure of drinking lots and lots of this, but it's not to say I couldn't. It's a lot like a Flanders Red in its sourness, but maybe that's just what a true lambic wants. I love this beer. I'm blubbering like a schoolgirl. It's that good. I need to purchase multiple bottles and cross my fingers that they're as good as this is fresh off the tap.

02-08-2005 16:57:17 | More by 99bottles
santoslhalper

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Appeance: Pours a dark ruby with a nice, almost reddish head. Carbonation is massive, and so is the lacing.

Smell: Cherries. Freshly picked, ripe as hell cherries.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Cherries. Freshly picked, ripe as hell cherries. Hah. Tart like no other beer. Very sherry-like, with such a massive fruityness. Hard to believe it's beer. The mouthfeel is fizzy and thin, but appropriate.

Drinkability and Overall: This is great beer. One of the most unique beers I've ever had (I've said this alot lately). Tart, powerful, and brilliant. It's just so powerful, I don't think this would be a very drinkable beer. This review is from notes from my last session (about 4 hours ago) and I can still taste it! Wow.

01-22-2005 03:14:41 | More by santoslhalper
redmosquito

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

ClarkVV is helping to educate me on Lambics. I can smell the horse blanket from about 10 feet. Thecherry aroma stays in the background but it is still there. It pours a dusty reddish amber color with a pinkish head. Flavor goes from sour to barnyard back to sour with a tingling mouthfeel that helps to make up for the dryness. The barnyard fades away with every sip, and the tartness accentuates the cherry. Thanks Clark.

12-28-2004 21:44:38 | More by redmosquito
marburg

4.9/5  rDev +14%

(Added review) Ah, the politics of fruit and beer. I believe the 2004 is vastly different from prior bottlings, and my visit to the brewery in August suggests a new type of cherry may be the culprit (confirmation from the importer pending). Either way, the 2002 and 2003 are delightfully tart and overwhelmingly puckering; the 2004 is richly flavored with cherry. Either way, it's a winner. A little bump.

(Original review) Bottled in 2002. Huge sour aroma hits from the instant the cork is popped. My mouth was salivating left and right at the expectation of the much-desired tartness.

Poured blood red -- garnet, ruby, et cetera. The medium-sized head sputters out like cola fizz. Only very slightly cloudy since, at the recommendation of the back label, I tried to avoid decanting too much of the yeast.

Poignantly sour aroma. Very acidic in the nose. A light but very discernable cherry aroma is buried underneath powerfully crafted sourness. Similarly, the cherry is fairly light and fleeting despite the bright, vibrant color. Light, and crisp, this is a true delight and very easy on the tongue despite the initial feeling that it's somehow biting or caustic. Indeed, it's quite the opposite -- pure fucking joy.

Tart, acidic, and sour from the tip of the tongue to the back of the throat. You get used to it after a while, and the cherry becomes slightly more prominent, and it's certainly just a tiny bit bigger on the tip of the tongue.

An amazing, amazing beer. Anyone looking for a true-to-form, delight-to-drink lambic ought to try this at his or her earliest convenience.

12-19-2004 21:40:45 | More by marburg
putnam

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

"Piles of raw, sour cherries,cherry pit splinters,smoked ham and latex define the immense aromatics of this beer
Smoky and dense on the nose, it is vengefully acidic on the palate, revealing layers of copper, lemon juice, sweet herbs and photographic developer. This may be the sourest beer I've ever had in my life. The sweetness is in the form of texture, which is fleshy and round. But a little actual sweetness wouldn't hurt at all. Definitely must go with food: pickled herring, boiled smelt etc."

I wish I could remember what vintage that "4.25" beer was. This 2004 is solidly in the 4.5 to 5 zone. It reeks of pulpy cherries and Chateauneuf du Pape. Savory, meaty middle flavors are help up by powerful cherry, raspberry, vanilla and spice flavors. The texture is imposing. The acidity is lime-like. Aromatics of tobacco, tea, kirsch and almond/tangerine paste rise up through the finish.

Initially I ordered a conservative two cases. Now I've requested four more.

12-17-2004 03:15:09 | More by putnam
sulldaddy

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

I am splitting a bottle of this with a buddy of mine. Not sure what to expect but excited to try somethig new. I am drinking it at room temp and letting the bottle breath for a little before pouring. The cork says corked in 2/2002
I am using a snifter to consume.
The beer pours a strawberry red with a tight pink head that fades quickly to and edge layer and then to nothing. Aroma is apparent at the pourt with very tart cherry sour and a little bit of general funkiness eminating from the bottle and my glass. I also get a bit of biscuity yeast mixed in. First sip reveals a thinner than expectd body and very mild carbonation. THe flavor is very tart and gives me a puckering effect on my mouth every sip. The sour cherries are prevelant and the beer finishes very dry like a rich red wine. QUite an interesting beer. I enjoy the sourness and tart flavors, but it makes it tougher to finish the bottle. Next time will have more than one person over to finish.

11-22-2004 01:09:29 | More by sulldaddy
soper2000

Obtained via trade with the ever so gracious ngandhi. I must say that I love Cantillon and believe that they are the best brewery in the world. So with much anticipation, I dive in. Cork came out without much pomp and circumstance. And it poured a beautiful ruby red with a pink 1 finger head. Smell has that wonderful Cantillon acidity, but the cherry aroma is much more assertive than the rasberries were in Rose de Gambrinus. A slight funkiness is present as well, but in no means dominant. Why don't they make incense with this aroma. Taste, oh my, where do I begin? A very sharp tartness introduces this beer to my palate. The intial lambic sourness fades ever so gently into a full flavored cherry with subtle hints of wood. A slightly funky flavor glides into the aftertaste. This is one remarkable brew. Even though the acidity in this beer is very high. I could drink this all day if presented with the oppourtunity. Ever since I became a BA, I never thought that I would give a beer a perfect rating, but this truly deserves it. Remarkable, remarkable beer. Thanks again Ngandhi.
*cork dated 2003

11-12-2004 03:31:44 | More by soper2000
clvand0

Kentucky

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

This one pours a reddest of red colors with a pink head that takes its time leaving. Brilliant color. The aroma is very sour with a certain funk about it. I'm told that is characteristic of the Cantillon, so I'll just accept it. Super sweet and tart cherries. The flavor is much the same. Very tart. Very cherry. Finish is a bit dry ... and sour. This really isn't one of my favorite styles, but this is a well made version.

11-01-2004 18:28:18 | More by clvand0
feloniousmonk

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

pinky crimsony coloration...light, negligible head...
nose is funkalicious, big fruitalacious, but not moreso than this overpowering funkadelicaliciousness...cherry-sweet, berry-licious...
Taste? ...ooo, wee! yeah, the cherry's there...but the funk is in control here, this is a distinctive taste, not for everyone... hey, maybe not even for me, at least not every day...whoa, again, I say...big, fresh, cherry taste, but yeasty ...meaty...huge mouthfeel, never ever feels like getting off the couch...pretty damned delicious, but , oh, so unique....I put these words to electronic pen and paper, while 1/2 a bottle remains...fierce flavor, full, lush, impressive.

10-31-2004 13:12:17 | More by feloniousmonk
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

This one pours a nice red color with a pink head that falls to ring the beer. The nose is fantastic. There is a nice sour tart in the nose, with a touch of cherries. I'm excited to taste this one. The flavor is sooo good. The tart and sour hits me the second I taste the beer. When I swallow it, the sourness goes strait down my throat. The flavor does not linger too long either. The aftertaste is all about the cherries. The feel is a light moderate, just where I would expect it, with a really nice carbonation of small bubbles. I could have easily had the whole bottle to myself, but I'm a good guy and I share. What a nice beer.

10-29-2004 01:44:36 | More by kmpitz2
Beersignal

Quebec (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Another fabled Cantillon offering. The wheel goes around... Goldorak goes to Belgium and brings this wonderful bottle back. The fact that he shared it with me shows how much he cares for beerdom.

Stunning deep red highlited by accents of amber, slightly cloudy beer with no head to mention. Pretty much what I expected to see and experience visually.

As you approach your nose to the glass the champagnelike astringency begins to manifest itself. Quickly it invades the olfactory senses with an assault of acidity that ploughs through anything that might have been loitering there aimlessly and leaves the path clear for a harmonious complex of candied oranges, sweet oak, freshly blossomed apple flowers and pear skins with too much flesh on them. Endless complexity that could have been discovered ad nauseam but this needed a taste.

First sip is DRY, astringent but not at all watery. Rather, a firm mouthfeel greets the powerful acidity which completely coats the mouth and, once again, allows no detection of flavours up front. Once this wave subsides notes of caramel, apples, and wood mingle with a crunchy bitterness. The long and multi dimentional aftertaste lingers while I discover what complexity this beer posesses. Fruity, salty, sweet, leathery and oakey notes jostle for room on my tastebuds as as the sour cherries conduct the symphony. I treat myself to another sip.

Some reviewers say they could drink this all day long and my utmost respect is given to them. The power of this beer makes it difficult for me to want to down a large bottle of it which is why drinkability took such a hit. It is, however, a mesmerizing example of the highest art of brewing lambic.

10-18-2004 15:32:00 | More by Beersignal
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle at Spuyten Duyvil. Muddy earthy ruby. Gentle off-white head, rapidly diminishing. Clean sour cherries aroma, very leafy, woody with huge lactic notes, yogurty and even soured milk alike. Totally pungent aroma with a nice restrained barn touch. Very puckering, heavily sour, straightforward. This is everything I’m looking for in a traditional kriek. I would prefer it with standout characteristics though, more funk and mystery, unexplored territories etc. Now it’s extremely clean, direct, balanced, dry and astringent which means it’s an awesome beer and possibly one of cantillon’s best, better than the lou pepe to me anyway. Great texture, thin-medium body with very little carbonation feels perfectly right to carry the acidity. Terrific kriek.

10-12-2004 17:21:56 | More by Rastacouere
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Raw sour power. Beautiful wine colour. Leaving it open as recommended for 30 minutes is a good idea, but how patient can you be? Musty barnyard and cherry aroma. A bit of carbonation. There's orange,cheese aftertaste. Astringent bone dry. Be forewarned about the tartness.

09-10-2004 03:48:34 | More by Sammy
ngandhi

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Nutmeg and wood spice on the nose, developing to a wonderful cherry backdrop supported by mild lactose, assertive but not overstated acid, and lush oak vanillins and cocoa. Lingering, developing spice on a long, dry finish.

Relax, relax.
ng
---
Bone dry with a sourness that's initially menacing and ultimately elegant. The tart cherries are evident on the nose with a strong, musky earthiness. The palette is much of the same with marked "wild" and "infectious" qualities familiar to veiny cheese. The spontaneous fermentation lends a deep grain and spice that compliments the sour cherry. Cantillon Kriek is absolutely pure and absolutely lambic -- not exactly a crowd pleaser, but everything it ought to be. It helps you understand where the new world intepretations come from (New Glarus), how good they indeed are, and how miserably short they fall.

Original rating: 4.05

Relax, relax.
ng

08-22-2004 20:38:04 | More by ngandhi
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

2002 vintage. 750mL bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium plum color with two fingers of light pink head. There is no lacing left on the glass. The smell is sour and tart with lots of cherries coming through (of course). Just a slight funkiness, classic Cantillon. The taste is tart and fruity, sweet and sour. A nice blend of all the flavors coming together. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and smooth, even for the decent carbonation. The drinkability is pretty good as well. A wonderful Kriek.

EDIT: I recently got to try a bottle of this that was bottled in 1996, and OMFG, it was unbelieveable. It had soooo much of that funky aroma and flavor that I love so much. It makes me want to buy another of the recent bottles and lay it down for years and years. A really big thanks to Big Body Bill for sharing this one!

07-31-2004 05:00:54 | More by SheepNutz
crookedhalo

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

2003 on the cork. Pours a pinkish red wine color with a pink bubbly head. Cherries and a barnyard tartness evident in the aroma. Some sweaty, leathery notes, too. The taste is totally acrid and pungent with sour cherry. Really hits the sourness portion of the taste buds. There seems to be a real woodiness in the malt aspect, cherries aside. Astrigency left for a long time on the palate. Certainly gets more inviting as it warms and breathes for a bit as it suggests on the label. Great beer, but it's acidity cuts down on it's drinkability. Great beer from an outstanding brewery.

07-29-2004 00:24:55 | More by crookedhalo
mschofield

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

2002 edition.
Pours a hazy dark red, topped with a two finger pink-tan head, dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing.
Sweaty, oily aroma, nuts, cherry, grape skin, lemon, "barnyard" notes.
Very dry and tart taste, lemon juice, cherrry, tannic, vinegar, musty.
Light bodied, very tart, dry. It goes good with salad.

07-09-2004 01:37:26 | More by mschofield