Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 2001. A huge beer in taste and aroma, this version was an orangish looking liquid that pulled up a quickly gone head and laced from a small ring. The nose is big, having very sour notes and a hint of fruity overtones. The taste is huge - tart to an extreme with strong hints of dark cherry and lasting impressions from the lovely lasting flavors. This is another of the Cantillons made for sipping, not session drinking, and as others have noted it is an acquired taste, though I've never met one with which I'd rather be acquainted. This is beer with an exclamation point - be prepared to deal with it.

4.68/5  rDev +7.8%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this gem.
Scene: (I sit a in rocking chair, stroking a long, gray beard) "Back in the early 2010, I could reliably find this on the shelf. Oh, how the times have changed."

Note: 2009 vintage

Consumed 9/16/12

Appearance: Ruby from a distance, a solid pink in the light with some lighter tones and clarity around the edges - moderately-sized, pinkish white head, fades to a creamy ring - lacing is transient

Smell: Utterly ridiculous - basically, it smells like a fresh-baked cherry bread sprinked with cinnamon and some other spices - cherry jam, sweet but not with any added sugar - lightly bready malts, but this is really all about the fruit - very tart, with some funk - light barnyard and some oak

Taste: Nonstop, unrestrained tart assault - so, so tart - more tart than I thought cherries could be tart - acidic sourness, and did I mention this is tart? - cherries and cherry skin, with some yeast - the light sweetness works with the light, pale malts to create a flavor reminiscent of a cherry bread, or dry cherry cookies

Mouthfeel: Medium body, prickly carbonation, epic sour tartness that completely dominates the mouth

Overall: Quite possibly the most ridiculous fruit lambic I've ever had

I had high expectations for this beer, as it is from Cantillon. Somehow this was even more intense than I expected. So much cherry tartness. This is like eating some kind of ridiculous cherry bread, but more magical.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

My first sip of Cantillon Kreik was in 1996, while working at Mr. Dunderbaks in the Allentown PA mall. I was fond of and used to the sweet flavor of Lindemans or Liefmans lambic, so thats what I was expecting. I hated it. Now, 9 years later it stands before me again. I've been enjoying Flanders ales, gueze, and funky saisons for the past 3 or 4 years, so I'm confident that I'll enjoy it this time.

It is a brownish, purplish color with a brief but fluffy head that is light pink tinted. There is not much in the way of lacing, but I wasn't expecting any.

The aromas, WOW! It instantly transports you to barnyard with all the accompanying aromas: hay, rotting grass, manure, cider, apples, horses, and bitter cherries. This is untamed and angry smelling, and I love it! The nose alone carries that funky sharpness right down to your guts before you even take a sip. Hardcore.

The flavor is different than anything I have ever tasted on this planet. It is a living barnyard stuffed into a 750 ml bottle. It has a acidic tartness throughout highlighted with lemon, vomit, hay, bitter herbs, faint bitter cherries, oak, mushrooms, and vinegar. As repulsive as that list is, it is delicious and impossible to stop sipping. A very new sensation. This is a very grown-up lambic, not for the same person who would enjoy a wine-cooler. Fantastic.

4.28/5  rDev -1.4%

This beer poured a color that reminded me of cherries and brandy. The paper thin egg shell head added a superb contrast to the color and stuck around for some time.

Smelled like a bale of hay that has been out in a field all summer long that is blended into a slight doughy bread character. This is blended into a green apple and lemon sourness with a pronounced tart cherry. The intricate blend between the musky straw and cherry was really awesome. I spent more time with my nose shoved in my tulip huffing away than I did drinking.

The taste began with a sharp sting on the end of my tongue that flowed along the sides of my tongue picking up some tart and tangy electric sourness. As it his the middle of my tongue, it picked up some oak and mossy wood flavors with just a hint of sour milk. It then blossomed into a tart cherry skin with minimal sweetness. Great dynamics here. As this one warmed up, the sting faded and the fruity sweetness became more pronounced.

The mouth feel was light, dry and very clean with only a light, small bubbled carbonation.

This beer was a joy ride for the senses that broadened my experience of lambics. Sadly, I tried this for the first time at a beer tasting I hosted and the uninitiated beer drinkers there thought this was horrible. I would have to admit that this beer is best saved for those with a decent knowledge of beer, or it may come across like “tuna”, “sweet relish” and many other less than favorable descriptions. This is not a beginner beer. Not being a beginner, I thought it was a trip well worth the ride.

Review #550

375 ml bottle served in a half Acre tulip. 2012 cork date, bottled on June 28, 2012.

A: Pours a translucent cherry color with a light pink head forming on the pour. It recedes to a thin ring.

S: Black cherries and spicy oak upfront. Some lactic acidity with just a hint of background funk. There's an underlying malty sweetness as well.

T: Wood, tart cherry pits, and some sweet cherry pie. Sour cherries, mild acidity and lactic sourness. Slightly funky on the back end as well.

M: Light bodied with a prickly carbonation level. Sweet and sour finish.

O: Delightful. Great hints of fresh cherries with a lactic sour kick and a restrained funk.

3.5/5  rDev -19.4%

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Bottled 24 April 2011 and poured into a flute.

Has a beautiful red color to it. The head fizzles down quickly.

The funk plays a bigger role than the cherries in the nose. Also some citrus/grapefruit type notes.

It tastes and feels wonderful. Cherries n' funk. Not as tart as say their Rose de Gambinus. The flavor and tartness just work perfectly.

4.48/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance- Pours up a good amount of head that has some retention. The head is rosy, light pink while the body is a lazy crimson color which appears as a dull raspberry when held up to the light. There isn't any lacing at the moment. No real lacing is left behind at all.

Nose- Much more tart from the bottle than the glass. The bottle seems to smell more like raspberries or strawberries than the glass. Some acetic acid from the glass. The glass shows a strong and solid front of cherry with practically nothing else. A mild tartness. Some notes of cherry pie. Swirling shows a more basic cherry rather than a tart one.

Taste- Loads of cherry explode through the mouth. It ranges from tart cherry to regular cherry to cherry pie. Doesn't sound that complex but it doesn't need to be- it nails what it sets out to do. Some acetic acid on the front but this isn't very sour or tart at all. While I really like the Lambickx Kriek, this is simply better and more accessible. Mild hints of straw and funk start to creep but don't impinge upon the basic cherry character. Loads of balance and integration while having a strong but constrained presence. Slight woody bitterness on the finish. Strong linger of cherries which I greatly appreciate. Very refined and sublime. The Lambickx Kriek is a brasher beer but this is one for the ages. A great beer that rightfully defines all others in the style. Some notes of strawberry and raspberry around the edges but this really about the cherries.

Mouthfeel- Close to medium bodied with light carbonation. Airy. The way the beer is expands in your mouth is one of my favorite things about it. Effervescent despite the low carbonation. Makes your entire mouth tingle slightly.

Drinkability- If I hadn't paid 15 dollars a bottle (yes, I know, too much), this would be very sessionable. This beer begs you to drink it and I have no problem complying.

Overall- Amazing beer that defines all other krieks. I don't have to tell you need to try it because you already want it. Even if you think don't like fruit beers, you need to try this. I will buy this anytime I see this. Without fail.

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

(from notes taken early august 2008)

dated 26 aug. cork labelled 2007.

poured into tulip

color of cranberry juice. only slight haze. minimal, bubbly head, yet it then manages to form a thin but solid ring of foam. lacing doesn't stick to the glass for long, even though it looks great immediately after each sip.

aroma of cider vinegar and fresh cranberries. hint of sour cherry. slight farmhouse funk and fermentation. woody note.

tart flavor of red wine vinegar, with very mild barn funk, then wood aging makes itself known. sour cherries are detectable, but faint. very gentle bitterness, plus hay/grass notes (hops?). tart, semi-dry finish.

decently smooth, not thin. some acidic and tannic texture. mild carbonation for a bit of complexity.

3.53/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

In a word..SOUR. I’m a big fan of Flemish Sours, and have come to like the Lambics a lot on certain occassions, so the tartness of a beer does not bother me. However, I either got one past its prime, or this is meant to be over the top.

While it did feature a pleasant cherry aroma and flavor, these too were dampened by the tartness. That being said, the palate was a pleasant blend of the ultra-sour, followed closely by a sweet finish...both to an extreme.

All and all, this reminded me of some of those sour kid’s candies I’ve hd, where your mouth puckers up as you eat them, but for some reason, you come back for more. I’m sure I’ll be back for more of this in the future.

Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon