Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Kriek 100% LambicCantillon Kriek 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-06-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Kriek 100% Lambic Alström Bros
superspak

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

500th review! 750 ml bottle into tulip, bottled Aug 28 2007. Pours fairly clear blood red color with a minimal thin red head with surprising retention. As I swirl it small bubbles slowly cascade to the top. Some nice spotty lacing clings to the glass as well. Aromas of big sour and tart cherries, cider vinegar, wet hay, funk, oak, yeast spices, and big acidity. Fantastic aromas with great strength. Taste of big tart cherries, light cider vinegar, hay, barnyard funk, oak, and light yeast spices. Extremely tart cherry finish, that turns into a puckering sour acidity after the finish that lasts on the back of the tongue. Lingering notes of cherry, cider vinegar, oak, and light spiciness on the finish. Light carbonation and medium bodied; with a lightly syrupy mouthfeel as I was expecting. High acidity limits the drinkability, but this is incredibly enjoyable to sip on. Alcohol is completely hidden as expected. Overall this is an outstanding Kriek lambic with a ton of great tart cherry flavor. If it had more carbonation it probably would have scored even higher.

12-18-2011 06:47:17 | More by superspak

02-02-2013 03:15:13 | More by Gonzoillini
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev -12%

12 oz bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Chicago. Perfect size for two and $7.99 I believe. Bottled in 2006.

Pours a very murky red, cranberry/raspberry juice coloured, fizzy pink head forms, disappears very fast, leaves a few lace spots. Smell is very intense, sharp sour note, very vinegary, intense acidity, nice cherry, oaky, more insane fruity acidity, you can smell this acidity! Taste smacks me good, insane sourness, I thought I had sour beers before this. Oaky cherry, almost saltiness, I find a bit weak on the finish, very acidic, attacks the tongue. Insane. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low-medium carbonation, very harsh, very enjoyable, neat experience. Good thing I have a few more Cantillons kicking around!

04-16-2007 02:31:53 | More by Viggo
smakawhat

Maryland

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass, gives off a simple small pink head that has lots of retention. Very foamy. Body is a nice muted cherry red with slight pink hues. Great consistent pin sized head bubbles and lots of staying power. She looks real good.

Smell is enjoyable for me. Sour sweetness with a barnyard festering yeast. Chewy as always and round. Everything feels tight and punchy. Slight hint of bread in the back ever so slight.

Taste is a real nice fruit cherry sour, and muted fizz. Once again a small hint of bread but on the swallow aromatics I am getting surprisingly... smoked meat (like a sausage). Good lord where did THAT come from? Real fascinating here, but that smoke is only on the swallow and hits only in the back of my nasal cavities. It's an odd place to find it but I like it.

Really enjoy this one, I am going to have to grab it again when I am in the mood. Lots of fun here.

03-15-2011 01:25:00 | More by smakawhat
mdaschaf

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Been waiting to try this one for a while.

A: The pour was bright cherry/pink/red with a massive pink head, about 2.5 fingers in height. Decent retention, reducing down to a thing layer of foamy bubbles on top. Little bits of lacing stick to the glass.

S: Lots of tart cherries, the aroma intensifies as the beer warms up. It was a bit closed when I first poured it, but at the end was very fragrant.

T: Tart cherry, a little bit of cork, and a little bit of barnyard funk, but the cherries really dominate, with not much else going on.

M: Light to medium bodied, nice carbonation. Slightly mouth puckering, but not overly sour.

O: A little bit of a let down. Its good, but I was expecting a more powerful and complex flavor profile and maybe a bit more sourness.

06-02-2011 00:56:31 | More by mdaschaf
Bighuge

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Brilliant looking scarlet red/orange hue. A nice looking white head fizzles away quickly. A little barnyard on the nose. Sour cherry as well. And horse blanket in a way. The first thing that hits my palete is lactic sourness. This fucker is tart. It's not disagreeable though and I was a little gunshy going into this from what I had heard. I never thought I'd say it, but this beer has some Barnyard and Horse Blanket flavors going on. And they're enjoyable to boot. This beer is so damn acidic. This is the first beer I've had in a while that really made me sit up and take notice. You can tell that a lot of attention and detail went into the crafting of this beverage. Lots of character. Huge citrus notes as well. Some cherry sourness. You wouldn't think a beer like this would be drinkable, but something keeps begging me to take more sips.

I can understand why this may not be everybody's "cup of tea", especially novice beer drinkers, but I think I could acquire a taste for this. Problem is, it'd just be too damn expensive to do so. I'll stick with my Barleywines, Imperial Stouts and IPAs that are more affordable unless I have an opportunity to try other lambic styles form this brewery.

02-22-2003 21:20:53 | More by Bighuge
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

Cool little pink head pour, thin head. Delicious sour cherry aroma, real fruit in the nose, not fruit juice w/ sugar added. Smell the funk (good funk).

Taste, quite sour, just like I like 'em. Cherry flavor is not thick, nice and spritzy with the sour. Slightly sweet. Not balanced, in a good way. Bitter and acidity might be a problem for the less learned palate, or simply if you're just not into this kind of flavor smacking sour. You get a bit of everything here, good barrel tinge, great sour, great fruit, even with time on it, still tastes fresh, not one dimensional at all.

Mouthfeel, the slightest wood nuance is noticeable. Very dry finish to this. Sour cherry flavor is the best cherry flavor most often.

04-21-2011 22:55:31 | More by Beerandraiderfan
tdm168

05-25-2014 09:44:17 | More by tdm168
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.49/5  rDev +3.9%

375 ml capped and corked green champagne bottle picked up at Bottleworks in September for $7... aged in my cellar until tonight. Poured into a crystal champagne flute. I corked this bottle and let it sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes.

Short lasting lite pink head above an absolutely beautiful pink/lite orange brew. Reminds me of a very very pink champagne without all the bubbles.

I honesty don't even know where to begin on the aroma.. I haven't had a proper world class lambic in years. Musky cherries .. a little almond? I think I finally know what "horse blanket" means ... lite leathery whiffs ... Wow.. not even close to some of the Lambic-pops I've had in the last couple of years.

Flavor ... OMG this is awesome ... Now I really know what "horse blanket" means ... Cherries are maybe a little bit in the background, but what do I know? Did this sit in the basement for too long?.. very possibly. Funkadelic with sour (but not acetic) flavors linger forever... again almonds. Huge complexity but you must obviously be fan of sour and something new. Nearly bone dry.. but the lack of sugar really makes everything run like a clock... fairly mouth-drying, but I like ... I like alot... the sourness sorta proactively sucks saliva from my body.

I would never in a million years give a sip of this brew to somebody who didn't know what they were getting into .. I wouldn't want to waste a sip .. That said, I sorta had an idea about lambics, and damn glad I took the time.... Now the damned distributers around Boise need to get these in alot more regularly.

The only reason I decided to try this beer tonight was because I was able to score a 750 bottle of the Cantillon Kriek over the weekend at Erickson's for $10... Fantastic for sure.

02-13-2008 09:05:24 | More by JohnGalt1
glid02

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

On-tap at Leon's Full Service in Atlanta.

Pours a bright red color with a thin and quickly disappearing pink head that settles into a thin ring around the glass and a wispy layer upon swishing the glass.

Smells of tart cherries with just a hint of sweetness and loads of funk.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. After puckering up a bit on the first sip I become acclimated and can pick out flavors like tart cherries, a good deal of funk, very small hints of leafy hops and even smaller hints of assorted berries. The ending is very dry.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing the glass and could have another.

Overall I'm beginning to learn that sours are all about nuance. The flavors aren't overly complex, it's just getting the levels just right that's key. This one hits the mark, well worth a shot.

01-15-2010 03:42:58 | More by glid02
Gusler

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Over the years I’ve heard much about this breweries beers, and as I never really cared much for Lambics till a year or two ago, it was a real treat to find these at my “Second Home The Papago Brewery”.

A resplendent and nebulous cherry red on the pour, the head diminutive, the lace tenuous, with the nose tart and little else noticed. Sweet and sour start, top cadaverous, finish is quite tart, astringent, vinous, and alum dry aftertaste. Different, for sure, and something I will need to re-sample to determine my true feelings for this beer.

01-20-2003 15:48:09 | More by Gusler
afsdan

Colorado

4.75/5  rDev +10%

03-21-2014 02:34:32 | More by afsdan
Tone

Missouri

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a hazy, rose/rust color. 1/6 inch head of an off-pink color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of citrus, slight tart malt, hint of sweet malt, earthiness, and a hint of hop. Fits the style of a Lambic - Fruit. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carboantion level. There is also a strong associated tartness. Tastes of citrus, earthiness, tart malt, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of grain. Overall, great aroma and body.

10-06-2010 13:54:09 | More by Tone
billab914

09-14-2013 16:42:46 | More by billab914
THECPJ

Delaware

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark pink to red with a half finger pink head

smell: sour cherries, hints of sweetness

taste: cherries up front then fade in the back end, sour and very tart

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body, crisp

drinkability: a very nice representation of a kriek wish the cherries didn't fade in the back end.

cheers,

The CPJ

03-13-2011 17:27:12 | More by THECPJ
dirtylou

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

750ml bottle, January 2010 bottling

cellphone notes, served slightly cooler than room temperature

appearance: split and served in a new glarus flute - light cherry color, pinkish-white fizzy head that dissipates quickly.

smell: super tart cherry, oak, raspberry balsamic, funky yeast

taste: Cantillon kriek is certainly a game-changer within the style. I've had some really awful belgian krieks before (i'm looking at you lindemans and st louis) but this one clearly goes in the class with drie fonteinen and hanssens. This lambic is sour enough to split your tongue in half, bright cherry/raspberry flavor, light vinegar, oak, funky yeast - all sorts of good.

mouthfeel: high tartness, sour, light bodied

drinkability: good

11-17-2010 18:46:28 | More by dirtylou
TurdFurgison

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, looked like a small bottle of wine. The beer is ruby red. looked good except for no head at all. I'd have liked to see some pink froth on top...

The aroma is 100% sour lambic, maybe 98% sour lambic + 2% cherries. I expected more cherry in the smell, but actually I probably prefer it just the way it is. As for the taste, it's completely sour. My face actually puckered up several times through the bottle, it was so intensely acidic. The masochist in me liked it, but only just this once. I couldn't drink this too often, way too bracing.

Drinkability is good for the style, but you absolutely have to like sour beers to even finish the bottle.

04-24-2007 02:23:06 | More by TurdFurgison
drummermattie02

12-21-2011 15:59:07 | More by drummermattie02
harpus

Alabama

07-24-2012 13:07:36 | More by harpus
xnicknj

375mL bottle poured into large wine glass

Pours an electric pink-cherry color with a nice crop of bubbly pink head. One-of-a-kind appearance with a nice retention and some spotty film.

Super intense funk in the nose with yeast, horse blanket, grass and straw. Pleasant cherry and dark fruit with an overwhelming sourness. Definitely formidable in its initial presence.

Starkly sour up front with waves of biting cherry and dark fruit. Cherry skin, burnt sugar and berries come through. Classic fruit lambic flavor throughout, finishing with tons of sour cherry.

Medium body, higher carbonation, chewy and dry on the tongue. This is fantastically worth the money and completely ahead of the pack when it comes to regular storm prep.

10-30-2012 04:58:48 | More by xnicknj
rolltide8425

07-12-2012 03:14:41 | More by rolltide8425
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.19/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into tulip 14/7/13 bottled Jan, 2013

A slight haze in a dark ruby red body, lovely color with a large short lived pink foam that leaves no lace, about what I expected

S cheesy funks strong, leafy hops, real cherries, wet wood, jujubes, more funk, faint gym socks, and some cranberries

T even more funk but the cherries are a little stronger too, I'm getting some strawberries I didn't smell along with some dry cereal

M light bodied, a little foamy, tart and sour but its not turning my mouth inside-out, cherries and woody funk linger on the finish

O I was expecting a little more fruit in this relatively fresh lambic but I can live with the heavy funk, other then that it's more or less what I was expecting

I knew sooner or later I'd need to cough up the cash to try this one, its a solid brew and a funk monster but its hard to drop the dough when I could get few great brews for the same price as this single bottle. That being said I'm probably going to buy more Cantillon in the near future for no other reason then I've yet to try it

07-15-2013 01:33:56 | More by wordemupg