Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Reviews by ThePeskyDingo:
ThePeskyDingo

09-26-2013 03:30:49 | More by ThePeskyDingo
RoyalT

4.75/5  rDev +6%

Appearance – This one is bright, light orange in color with some good, visible carbonation. The color was crystal clear; almost radiant. The head was modest and fully white.

Smell – This was still cold when I opened it. The nose started off with a light sourness that developed into some beautiful horse blanket. This is your classic horsey aroma. A second assessment of the nose after an hour or so showed a bit stronger sourness and the presence of a good, healthy malt base that was kind of yeasty.

Taste – The light, freshly-squeezed lemonade was very even. This Gueze is not overly sour like other efforts I’ve tasted. The light, unsweetened pink grapefruit and hints of cherries rightly complimented the other flavors that I picked up at the nose. Everything here is so natural. I almost missed the light, natural sweetness until Skyhand pointed it out to me.

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied Gueze is very dry without a hint of bitterness. The delicate, active carbonation was right on. This one is perfectly blended. The balanced mouthfeel was the key to my enjoyment of this Cantillon.

Drinkability – How can you go wrong? This is not an over-the-top example of this Belgium style. It is incredibly well-blended and balanced. It is the perfect mating of light sourness, intense but pleasing dryness, and wonderful carbonation.

Comments – I popped this 2001 to celebrate my 1,000th review on the site, and it surely made the occasion a memorable one.

Reviewing Notes: I could have copied and pasted the style description right out of the BJCP on-line style guide to write this review. Word for word this bottle represents the ideal of a Belgian Gueze.

09-09-2004 15:23:13 | More by RoyalT
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%

Unknown Vintage

On tap at La Cav du Vin, Coventry, Cleveland, OH.

Cleaner and more perfect then most other Geuze I have had to date, this manages to present most of the qualities I find enjoyable in a geuze, vinegar, sourness, funk, barnyard characteristics, lemon/lime citrus, and a generally wild mouthfeel without too many of the really bizarre attributes such as battery acid, dehydrated urine, or donkey hooves.

The focus of the aroma and flavor is a more pleasant barn yard aroma and lots fo lemon/lime/grapefruit citrus. There is a chardonnay roundedness on top of that but of course, funk and sourness win out.

The flavor is equally impressive containing bountiful amounts of citrus soaked hay and vinegar. The feel isexceptionaly sour, although less so then some other geuze out there such as Drei Fontaine or Oude Beersel. I cannot say whether or not this is simply a result of this being form the tap. It could be. Often with beers like this, I find that the tap versions tend to be considerably more tame, probably due to less conditioning and less yeast actually finding its way into one’s glass.

The net effect of this being slightly toned down in comparison to some other geuze is that this brew is quite drinkable, better balanced, and more refined. This seems more grown up, professional, and consistent. This is a fine geuze and certainly one of the more drinkable I have found thus far.

06-22-2007 20:38:00 | More by DaPeculierDane
DanGeo

04-26-2014 10:56:08 | More by DanGeo
tectactoe

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks, Mike. 2011 vintage. The original Cantillon gueuze has evaded me for long enough - but not anymore! Pours an almost perfect copper color with great clarity upon warming - the initial pour warrants a very slight chill haze throughout the middle. The foamy white head escapes quickly, but not before leaving a few rings of lacing at the top of the glass.

As I slowly bring the glass to my nose, an incredible tartness immediately begins to invade my nostrils and plague my senses. Very tart smelling, even a bit lactic-like with a heavy amount of acidity. Apple skins, lemons, white grapes, and an accompanying trace of malt. Slightly vinegar-like, too.

There is just a touch of funk and a little bit of brettanomyces on the nose, but not as much as I would usually expect from a beer like this. That might be a good thing, though, because this aroma is pretty much fine as it is. A touch of wood on the tail end, fading out with the heaps and heaps of sour and tart fruits. This is the type of beer that gets your saliva glands moving, long before you even take a sip.

I take a taste and there's really no surprise here - this baby is sour and tart as can be. A puckering incision of apples and grapes just cuts across my palate and devours every last corner of my mouth. Mild astringency for a brief moment, due to the insane tart flavors, quickly followed up and mellowed out a bit by the oak. The oak is more apparent on the palate and provides a nice dryness to help sooth everything and bring the wild running sourness back to earth.

From middle to end, the funk pops out and the Brett works its magic. Light enough as to not distract from the tartness, but heavy enough to give you that little bit of barnyard you're looking for. Finishes super dry with a mild vinegar tone, some oak and funk, and a dash of dying fruit - thin bodied with lots of carbonation.

There's no wonder why this stuff is so highly praised - it's fantastic. There's truly no recreation or replica of a beer like this. Masterfully done, definitely a benchmark of the classic gueuze style. If this were readily available to me, you can bet that my fridge would be stocked with it all day. I might have a stomach ulcer from all the acid, but it might be worth it for this.

03-30-2013 20:04:03 | More by tectactoe

brownbeer

Missouri

4.58/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottled 10-3-08 and consumed on 1-31-10

I'm not sure what can be said about this beer that hasn't been said before. Wonderful taste and aroma; it's wild and funky, leathery, bitter lemon, and horseblanket. A perfect balance of acidity, it's refreshing and dry, though not as dry as some of their others. This could be perfect with some more age on it.

I love this beer, it's not Iris good though, Hannaford.

02-04-2010 00:41:18 | More by brownbeer
weatherdog

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

75cL bottle poured into a fluted pint glass

Bottled October 3rd 2008

It pours a golden straw color with a thin head the surprisingly stays present throughout the whole glass. Tiny tiny champagne like bubbles are constantly rising to the surface making for a highly effervescent drink.

The nose is just acidity all the way. It's like a kind of sour tart lemon smell without as much lemon aromatics. There are hints of vinegar character behind that.

The taste starts off with a mouth puckering tartness that my novice sour palette has not experienced before. Followed by some dry leathery taste and some citrus sourness. the middle is this obvious brett taste that impossible dries out my mouth mid sip. It ends with another smack of tartness and a backbone of sweetness that lingers for a while. The sour/sweet combo at the end really was a nice finish.

The carbonation is really high. I haven't tried more than a handful of real lambic style beers and this is only my third gueuze so I don't have a good sample size whether I prefer a high or low carbonation on these styles of beers. I'm leaning towards that I prefer low carbonation because I tend to keep each sip in my mouth longer in order to fully taste and appreciate the flavors. In a highly carbonated example like this the carbonation gets too distracting. Despite of that and how sour it is I still found it of above average drinkability and my mouth wasn't permanently puckered and weeping after the whole bottle.

02-20-2010 14:52:48 | More by weatherdog
SkiBum22

04-14-2014 12:11:12 | More by SkiBum22
jeagleton

05-11-2014 03:53:34 | More by jeagleton
orbitalr0x

4.83/5  rDev +7.8%

2003 on the cork...my first foray into the world of gueuze and Cantillon...the excitement brews. Pours a wonderful cloudy golden yellow with a nice small bubbly head. A heady mix of sour lemon, vinegar acidity, hints of cloves, high school locker room after football practice and a faint resemblence to fruity white wine. Complex, intriguing and yes, funky aromas. Very nice.

Mouth puckering sour lemon swirlng with notes of white vinegar, horse stable, a slight pepper and some dirty socks. There's almost as much acid here as a Grateful Dead parking lot. Wonderfully light bubbly carbonation accentuates this beer greatly. An intense and rewarding experience to drink...each sip simply begs for you to take another. Awesome.

Smooth mouthfeel with a wonderful carbonation that works really well. This is such a joy to drink and I could easily enjoy this all night. I'm looking forward to trying more Cantillon offerings as I am extremely impressed. Highly recommended.

01-21-2005 04:10:39 | More by orbitalr0x
metalshea

4.21/5  rDev -6%

08-14-2014 00:31:25 | More by metalshea
lordofthewiens

Maine

4.33/5  rDev -3.3%

My first guezue. It didn't disappoint. Poured into a snifter, it was a hazy yellow color. Tiny white head, very still. It had a musty (in a good way) aroma, with a tiny whiff of citrus. Incredibly sour taste. My salivary glands really puckered up. A little bitterness as well. Light but fulfilling, truly enjoyable. I want more.

10-10-2007 14:23:50 | More by lordofthewiens
DaftPatrick

02-28-2014 20:38:55 | More by DaftPatrick
Jordandid

05-11-2014 15:19:09 | More by Jordandid
Todd

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev -8.9%

100% Lambic baby! Smells tart and downright funky. Colour is cloudy blonde with a thin white lace. Taste is sour, tart, apple skin-tannin-like and dry. Definitely an acquired taste. Personally, I love Gueuze beers.

10-14-2001 09:54:45 | More by Todd
Callmecoon

11-21-2011 04:54:59 | More by Callmecoon
bishopdc0

Maine

4.09/5  rDev -8.7%

Shared with my wife at Novare Res on Zwanze day.
The beer is golden pale with a thin lace head

The nose is tart and sour like cherries or raspberries but without the distinction of each.

The taste is dry and sour to start very sour it becomes fruity like fresh apples and finishes with more of a cider sour apple taste

09-19-2011 13:55:31 | More by bishopdc0
Snikwad1020

Maryland

03-04-2013 22:31:25 | More by Snikwad1020
Jason

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Had a glass of this at the brewery in Brussels ... can't get any better than that. They served it via lambic basket into my glass then I closed my eyes and I was in heaven for a few min.

10-21-2001 00:44:28 | More by Jason
tigg924

4.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance: dark brownish gold in color, cloudy, 1/4 inch head, medium carbonation

Smell: apple, lemon, and funk

Taste: apple, lemon, funk, vinegar, and small oak

Mouthfeel: sweet and sour mix, high carbonation, light body

Drinkability: Awesome gueuze. Could drink this all day. Not an intro gueuze as the sourness is prominent, but very very good.

05-13-2010 22:10:24 | More by tigg924