2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,860 | Reviews: 544 | Show All Ratings:
musicforairports

4.03/5  rDev -10%

375ml bottle bottled in 2010. No specific date on bottle.

Golden in color with a small head. No lacing. Some fizzy bubbles.

Smells like tart vinegar, funk and sour fruits. Smooth.

Taste is the same above. The flavors are strong without being smack-you-in-the-face sharp. I like that smooth, well-rounded flavor Cantillon tends to have. But otherwise, I guess I was expecting a lot out of this and I expected the flavors to be more dense and complex.

Decent carbonation, fizzy in the mouth and leaves the sour flavors on the tongue a while afterward.

It's likely because this is a new bottle, but I was expecting it to be more complex. It doesn't taste much different from other gueuzes I've had. I guess I should have bought another one to age.

04-18-2011 13:58:23 | More by musicforairports
Chriscrundwell12

4.03/5  rDev -10%

2009 version, poured into a snifter glass.

A- Champagne appearance, bubbly, excellent carbonation, very clear, golden hay appearance, nice lacing
S- Sour, Vinegar, white grapes, apple, lemon, vinegar, just funky.
T- Tart, sour, apple, vinegar, white grapes, lemons, wild yeast, funkiness really comes out in every sip, well balanced.
M- Well carbonated, crisp medium mouthfeel, real puckering.
O- Solid quality gueuze, im just expanding into the sour category and I was not disappointed with this beer. Very funky, and sour, as well as refreshing.

06-02-2011 06:35:59 | More by Chriscrundwell12
sacrelicio

4.03/5  rDev -10%

Finally got to try this classic Belgian ale. The appearance is very nice, with a golden orange color topped by a eggshell white head and rimmed with generous lacing. The smell is a complex but unified sour funk blast, with hay, funk, earth, apple skin and lemon rind. The taste follows suit, with a fairly harsh sourness that hits the spot nicely. Mouthfeel is soft and creamy, and the beer really gets the saliva going. Overall, quite good.

01-23-2012 06:56:02 | More by sacrelicio
hoserking

On "tap" at Cantillon

Due to my lack of experience with Gueuze, I was surprised when this was served in a tumbler rather than a tulip.

Dull orange/straw color.
The aroma was very funky with all the earthy smells expected from a naturally fermented beer.
Taste was tart but not over the top. Clearly there is a lot of thought put into what goes into the blend for this beer as it is quite balanced and with a mouthfeel that makes it very easy to drink.

Wouldn't be a daily drinker but was obviously a marvelously brewed beer.

07-03-2012 10:07:21 | More by hoserking
cps98

4.03/5  rDev -10%

A – Super clear no haze what so ever. Light yellow in color. Carbonation was light and crisp. Very nice lacing in my snifter.

S – A lot more brett funk in this beer than the regular 2-year lambic.

T – Lots of wheat and lemon.

M – This was a strikingly dry beer, I thought it would be sweeter given that’s it’s blended. Carbonation was really nice. Had a really nice medium body to the beer not light and watery at all.

O – I really enjoyed this but I liked the unblended 2-year lambic much better.

12-10-2012 18:33:40 | More by cps98
philipt

Since this is my first sampling of a gueuze lambic ale, I didn't quite know what to expect and how to compare it to others.

This lambic is remarkably clear, golden with a slight orange effect, and has an extremely active white head. Smells sweet and acidic. Apples/cider and grapes are particularly present in the aroma. Tastes extremely tart with some sweetness. Granny Smith apples and grapes stand out in the flavor. This is an extraordinarily dry and tart beer. I have never had anything that's similar to this. I'm quite intrigued and impressed with this style.

05-13-2003 18:52:42 | More by philipt
rajendra82

Georgia

Purchased in a 12 oz. green bottle which was adorned with black foil neck wrapping. Uncapping the bottle revealed a cork underneath, which seems to be a standard for Belgian premium beers. The pour into a tumbler was a cloudy peachy orange color with an initial fizz of carbonation that disappeared very quickly. The aroma was very unique. It’s hard to put into words what this beer smells like, but I’ll try anyway. I could detect wet grass, sour apples, green onions, and pickled vegetables. As weird as it may sound, the smells actually got my mouth watering. The taste is also extremely unique. The beer exhibits a mouth puckering vinegary sourness at first sip. The sourness is accompanied by a peppery spiciness and a hint of bitterness. There is no sweetness to balance these tastes out, but sweet drinks are for babies any way. As the beer warms, it gets a bit creamier on the palette, tempering the astringency. The 5% ABV is so far down the radar, it slips past the tongue and only shows up as a warming sensation in the belly. This is a light and refreshing traditional gueuze, which should be enjoyable in the upcoming summer months.

05-22-2004 03:08:55 | More by rajendra82
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: sampled at the brewery in Brussels. Poured a golden colored beer with great carbonation and a good head. Aroma is a mix between some floral tomes and the Cantillon yeast. Taste is a bit deceiving since it is too much acidic that it kills the rest of the flavours. I know this is supposed to be the classic gueuze but I believe that some other gueuze a better balanced then this one.

Re-rate: Bottle dated 2004. Barnyard aroma with sourness and acidic notes quite evident. Taste is quite sour but not as acidic as the bottle tasted in Brussels which was probably fresher. This version seems to make more sense with ratings included here.

06-29-2004 18:28:30 | More by Phyl21ca
twelvsies

Maine

Wow what a weird beer. 2002 edition on tap at the Moan and Dove. My first experience with lambic beers, so I didn't know exactly what to look for but I've read a lot of reviews here that gave me a basic idea of what I was getting into. Apears a nice golden amber color with no head at all, very cloudy. Smell and taste are quite intense to say the least. Super sour tart and tangy with some funky grassy stinkyness. Total absence of any noticable malt or hops. Definitely abrasive but for some reason I kept wanting to take another sip. Mouthfeel is very dry and dusty, yet inviting. I actually had no problems drinking this beer, I finished the glass pretty quickly. I went into this one with an open mind, and I think that helped. I don't know if I liked this beer because I thought I was "supposed" to like it because it gets such great ratings here, or if I actually would've liked it if I had never heard of such a thing before. But the bottom line was I did like it. I wouldn't crave this one right after a long day to crack open and relax with like a nice quenching ale but I could see it as being a unique choice once in a while to change things up. I'll definately have to educate my palate a little more with this stuff.

02-27-2005 21:13:52 | More by twelvsies
Cresant

Kentucky

Poured this 750mL dark green bottle into a Lindemans flute. Label is different than the one pictured. Mine is yellow and black. 2006 Vintage. The body was rich golden and clear on the first pour (murkier in succesive pours). Lazy bubbles fed the two fingers of crisp white head.

Smell was sour and pleasantly funky. Lactic? Wet concrete.

Taste was sour. Crabapple tartness. Drying woodiness. Mild sweetness. Lemon zestiness. Each mouthfull has multiple stages of flavor - sour, light sweetness, crisp tartness. Interesting and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel was moderately carbonated but not so much so as to outshine the taste. Somewhat still in the mouth and zesty in the throat. Oily on the gums and mouth, like citrus oil. A refreshing sipper.

05-28-2007 21:27:31 | More by Cresant
jDoubleU

Poured a golden orange in my Delerium Tremens tulip. Murky with low carbonation and no head.

Man. I'm getting quite accustomed to that lambic lactic character! There's a certain smell that reminds me of wood and lemons.

A pronounced astringent taste that washes over your tongue in very distinct stages. I can feel it it go from sweet to sour to bitter. A long, dry, woody, and citrusy finish.

This is a wonderful beer. I've only had the Lindemans Gueuze, Lindemans Cuvée René, and Mead the Gueuze as a reference. Besides the Cuvée René, those are much sweeter. Cantillon's Gueuze would be a great primer to introduce someone to the Rodenbach Grand Cru or Lindemans Cuvée René.

07-03-2008 03:37:17 | More by jDoubleU
jpittman80

A - Clear golden color, a finger of white head that fades to a ring and leaves a little lacing.

S - First thing I got was apples, then a punch of sour fruit, lemon, bready grains, and Belgian yeast.

T - Strong wild yeast character, very sour fruits. About the sourness of a good lemonade, but with the benefit of having other beer flavors. I don't get the proverbial "horseblanket" which I've tasted in other beers, but there is definitely plenty of funk. Leaves a bitter aftertaste on the back of the tongue, like... chewed aspirin, for lack of a better reference.

M - Dry and puckering, astringent. It's a gueuze.

D - It's pretty tasty, but I can't usually have more than one of these. Don't even try going to a mild style of beer after this, as it leaves your tastebuds scorched.

06-04-2010 18:18:06 | More by jpittman80
rhoadsrage

(Served in a flute) The cork says 2007
A- The hazy orange body has a big fizzy carbonation that supports a snow-white head for the brief time that it last.
S- The slight mineral notes give way to a soft tartness and some wet pig notes.
T- A tart grapefruit pith flavor leads to a soft brie note and then a finish of more grapefruit sourness.
M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a tart astringency that is pleasant.
D- This beer has a nice up front tartness in the flavor with some nice tartness in the finish but the other flavors were pretty soft.

07-28-2010 16:11:21 | More by rhoadsrage
ptykozoon

Pours golden yellow, good lacing and an undying layer of foam.

Smells of lemon, barnyard, grapefruit, sourness.

Taste is the nose, nice medium amount of sour. Yeasty.

Good mouthfeel, good carbonation.

All in all a good gueuze. Not my favorite as it is very traditional, somewhat plain. A good jumping off point for sours I suppose.

10-06-2010 03:09:00 | More by ptykozoon
nerdrocker101

Georgia

Poured from a 375ml. The pour resembles apple cider. Very clear, golden orange with a thin, fizzy head that was gone just as quick as it appeared.

A nice tart nose like lemons and green apples.

A light jolt of sour up front followed by a mix of musk, hay and funk.

Somewhat refreshing. Dry finish. Nice carbonation.

I will admit that after reading the reviews, I was a bit worried this would be too sour, but this was not the case. I found it to be very refreshing and enjoyable for my first gueuze.

11-09-2010 01:14:21 | More by nerdrocker101
TMoney2591

Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing his gueuze tick!

That guy on the label's gonna have a bad time real soon... Meanwhile, his beer pours a lightly hazy straw topped by a solid finger of white foam. The nose comprises lemon wedge, coriander, sour wheat, white grapes, Brett, and some nice funky funk. Word. The taste really emphasizes those sour notes, particularly lemon, orange peel, and Brett. It's all pretty tart, but nothing o'erwhelmingly so. The body is a hefty-feeling light, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry, rather sticky finish. Overall, a very nice gueuze, though not really something I can see drinking too heavily during a day.

02-25-2011 02:10:40 | More by TMoney2591
Vdubb86

Served in a flute glass (thanks Kyle)

This beer was my very first Gueze, so I must admit, knowing there was sour gave me some apprehension in drinking this. The appearance is a hazy golden color with a coarse white foam. The aromatics were a touch funky with a smell of some decent skinned pinot noir grapes. The flavor had a very champagne like flavor. The carbonation wasn't as strong, but the grape flavor was right there. The mild tartness worked interestingly with the grapes. There was a salty background to the taste. It was pretty easy to drink once I got used to the flavor. A good Gueze, now I need to figure out why the top tier ones are so sought after.

02-25-2011 05:05:49 | More by Vdubb86
nrbw23

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden-copper color with good white head.

S- Smells of funk, Belgian yeast, citrus, tart and lemon. Maybe a bit of apples here too.

T- Tastes is yep there are the tart apples and tart lemons, citrus, and some definite funk. Also Belgian yeast is here for sure.

M- Light in body and low carbonation.

D- I found this one to be pretty good. Not quite sure how often I could drink this one but wouldn't turn it down.

03-07-2011 23:02:23 | More by nrbw23
NotACommunist

South Carolina

Served from a 375mL bottle purchase at CBX; bottled on 03-09-11 and was corked and capped. Poured into a NB Globe...

A: Hazy copper/golden orange in color with a thin white head and no lacing.

S: Tart fruit, apple, white grape, sour

T: Tart but not too sour, refreshing funk and wood as it warms. Alcohol is almost unnoticeable and flavors quickly leave the tongue...making me want more.

M: Thin, but not watery. Light to medium carbonation.

D: Very drinkable. Little on the higher priced side for regular consumption but a great treat and an awesome introduction into gueuze.

12-20-2011 04:10:47 | More by NotACommunist
Tnudish

Wisconsin

Bottle provided by Baron whilst watching football. Thanks for bringing the Loons bro, I love drinking dis shit. 2011 vintage poured into a New Belgium tulip.

A-Poured a golden brown in color with about a fingers worth of tight white head. It’s hazy in clarity.

S-Nose is comprised of lemon and a ton of dirty funk. It’s surprisingly funky for this stage in its development. There is must, horse blanket, wet hay, and some cat piss.

T-Flavor is less funk focused, there is still some sweetness accompanied by the lemon rind. There is some funk on the finish, but not a bunch.

M-Mouthfeel is light, carbonation is low, gentle acidity, and a moderate finish.

O-I love Classic Gueuze/Gueuze BIO/etc., so I always think its a treat to have. I prefer 3F Oude Gueuze in terms of standard gueuzes, but this is probably a close second. Thanks for bringing this Baron.

10-17-2012 20:13:55 | More by Tnudish
tewaris

Bottled 12/2010, so a little over 2 years old.

Golden and clear with hints of red-orange and a bubbly head; champagne-esque effervescence. Medium retention. Funky, musty, somewhat sweet aroma. Slightly metallic. Lemon and oak tannins in the taste with a drying sour finish. Very clean and crisp with a lingering presence of tannins and slight pucker. Very nice, but I think I like 3F's better.

02-27-2013 08:03:18 | More by tewaris
aracauna

3.98/5  rDev -11.2%

Outside of bottle in area around cap was covered in a black crusty liquid that smelled of soy sauce. Cork was still in good condition though. When cork was about halfway out we heard the hissing and rushed it over to the sink to protect the floor. Right about the time I got it to the sink the cork shot out (attached to one of those big cork screws with the handles to make it easier to get the cork out) and it hit the ceiling.I'm just glad I had it aimed straight up and not towards my head or the window. The head was huge but faded quickly and unevenly. The scoring in the bottom of the glass left a thick column of tiny bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass so the head never completely went away. The smell was a bit musty with an aroma I have noticed with many darker belgian ales, especially the La Trappe Dubbel and Quadrupel. I had thought that until recently it was candy sugar, but I'm not sure if that's what it is since I don't know if it's used in this beer. In the flavor, the beginning is some maltiness, mustiness and a few other flavors I don't recognize. The finish is sour and a fairly lengthy aftertaste is also sour. The sourness is the largest part of the flavor profile but not as much as I had been led to believe. A very interesting experience, but it was a little difficult to drink more than a glass.

07-05-2002 16:46:21 | More by aracauna
markman

Connecticut

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic (cork says 1997, 750 ml label on a 375 ml bottle):

I think I’m on to something here…

Apple juice color pour with a nice tight head…the aroma leaped out, but damned if I can get a fix on what it is: grass, hay, some kind of damn musty barn animal…horse perhaps. But the taste is, how do I best put this. Freakin’ tart…acidic tartness hits hard, stabs then twists. Hangs around a while, and then an earthy pitlike fullness lays on the tongue and sits there like a freakin’ slug. Damn stuff puts Goosebumps on my Goosebumps (credit to Bugs Bunny…or was that Daffy Duck). I am relatively new to this style, but I get the feeling that I am in the presence of greatness.

Cheers…

11-24-2004 01:50:32 | More by markman
jwc215

Wisconsin

Corked capped bottle - "Serve in low 50's F" on label:

Pours clouded golden with a thin head that doesn't stay around long.

Smells like a barnyard - classic musty with lemon drop after mustiness subsides a bit. Grassy background.

The taste is sour and tart. Barnyard mustiness, lemongrass. Vinegary sourness balanced by lemon tart and a touch of grassy sweet. Very long, woody dry finish.

This is a classic gueuze to be sure. Complex beyond barnyard mustiness. Not for the intro to the style, but one that a true gueuze-fan would love.

08-18-2007 17:50:17 | More by jwc215
BucBasil

South Carolina

3.98/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from the bottle into a white wine glass at the Cantillon brewery in Brussels.

A: A slightly hazy peachy orange color topped with a 2 finger light tan head with ok retention.

S: Lovely fruity smell with hints of apple and honey, slight apricot or peach note. Slight yeast presence. Malt character is light but balances nicely. Tart and light sourness in there as well, but not extreme. Good balance here.

T: Very sour and slightly fruity. Some citrus. Very very dry and slightly astringent. Finishes with raw apple and white grape notes, as well as some earth and must. Vinous.

11-04-2010 18:25:10 | More by BucBasil