Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic Alström Bros
1.6/5  rDev -64.4%

1.76/5  rDev -60.8%

I'm assuming I just don't get this beer. To have this be called "beer" seems a bit of a stretch for me. I haven't had a ton of lambics but I can see why they add fruit to this stuff and I probably won't be having more of these.

Appearance: Hazy amber color similar to a pale ale with virtually no head.

Smell: Tart and vinegary. Maybe that wet horse blanket smell that people always talk about but to me it was more like wet arm pits.

Taste: Mouthwatering and puckering. It was like drinking bad lemon juice or sour white grapes. If I had something like this in my fridge and it smelled and tasted like this, I'd throw it out.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied I guess. It was definitely carbonated but it wasn't something I wanted to leave in my mouth that long.

Drinkability: Couldn't do it. It ended up in the drain. I had other non-BA's sample this all with the same nose curling results.

I'm sure this is an acquired taste. It took me time to acquire a taste for IPA' s but even my first IPA I said, "not bad...I can see getting into this". Not so for this. I don't want to be closed minded so I will probably re-visit this style again but it will be an exception no the norm. To each his own but damn...this stuff was rough.

Appearance: Peach colored; cloudy; small head that dissipates quickly

Aroma: Tart, sour citrus smells

Taste: Sour, tangy, lemony start; dry mid, with dry finish

Remarks: This style is m not my thing, but it's on my beer list to try

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

2.16/5  rDev -51.9%

I was able to try this beer at a brilliant beer tasting at my uncle Peter's place. My nephew Michael brought this beer with him. Thanks for sharing Michael.

A - A hazy yellow beer with a thin white ring that goes for a head.

S - A cherry sour kind of smell. I wasn't expecting this from a Gueuze style.

T - Like I said; a cherry sour.

M - A medium carbonated beer and sour.

O - This is not my style, just to damn sour. I just can't understand that some people love this stuff.

2.28/5  rDev -49.2%

Aroma:Sour lemon and apple in the nose, with a funkiness.

Appearance:Pale golden orange, weak lacing, weak head.

Taste:On first taste, the sourness hits very hard. After that it gets easier to drink, and I start to get some faint citrus.

Mouthfeel:This one is harshly astringent on the back of my throat, which is helped by the mild carbonation.

Drinkability:This 2009 vintage is still kind of harsh, it probably needs a few more years in the bottle.

2.36/5  rDev -47.4%

2.39/5  rDev -46.8%

On tap at the Moan & Dove.

Pours light, foggy amber with orange hilights and small white head.

Smell is sour-patch-kids with an underlying character of hay or wheat.

Taste is like a mouthfull of liquid sour patch kids & pixie sticks laced with a somewhat rank wheat or yeasty underbelly.

Mouthfeel, when I wasn't puckering my mouth in reaction to the taste, seemed ok.

Other than the flavor, which has got to be a love it or hate it thing, it was passably drinkable.

There, I drank it. I opened my mind for a pint and decided this stuff just isn't for me. I've got to drink several more lambics, so maybe I'll eventually develop a taste for this, but as of this moment I find this stuff as close to my concept of beer as a Smirnoff Twisted.

Wyll-

2.43/5  rDev -45.9%

12.7 oz green bottle, corked and capped. cork says bottled in 2010. when cap is removed, there's a nasty black slime on top of the cork. I removed the cork without getting any in the beer.
warmed up to cellar temperature as instructed on the label.

appears a clear golden color, lots of carbonation bubbles stream to surface. smell is funky and musty, maybe a bit of citrus.

taste is extremely mouth puckeringly sour and harsh. lemon rind, vinegar. hard to drink. mouthfeel isn't bad. lighter body, significant carbonation.

overall - just way too sour for me. I've enjoyed other lambic styles, but this is just too much sour.

2.5/5  rDev -44.3%

2.76/5  rDev -38.5%

2.96/5  rDev -34.1%

First time trying a lambic--too different for my taste. The Cantillon brewery tour was great though.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon