Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic Alström Bros
1.6/5  rDev -64.4%

1.73/5  rDev -61.5%

I'm assuming I just don't get this beer. To have this be called "beer" seems a bit of a stretch for me. I haven't had a ton of lambics but I can see why they add fruit to this stuff and I probably won't be having more of these.

Appearance: Hazy amber color similar to a pale ale with virtually no head.

Smell: Tart and vinegary. Maybe that wet horse blanket smell that people always talk about but to me it was more like wet arm pits.

Taste: Mouthwatering and puckering. It was like drinking bad lemon juice or sour white grapes. If I had something like this in my fridge and it smelled and tasted like this, I'd throw it out.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied I guess. It was definitely carbonated but it wasn't something I wanted to leave in my mouth that long.

Drinkability: Couldn't do it. It ended up in the drain. I had other non-BA's sample this all with the same nose curling results.

I'm sure this is an acquired taste. It took me time to acquire a taste for IPA' s but even my first IPA I said, "not bad...I can see getting into this". Not so for this. I don't want to be closed minded so I will probably re-visit this style again but it will be an exception no the norm. To each his own but damn...this stuff was rough.

Appearance: Peach colored; cloudy; small head that dissipates quickly

Aroma: Tart, sour citrus smells

Taste: Sour, tangy, lemony start; dry mid, with dry finish

Remarks: This style is m not my thing, but it's on my beer list to try

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

2.15/5  rDev -52.1%

I was able to try this beer at a brilliant beer tasting at my uncle Peter's place. My nephew Michael brought this beer with him. Thanks for sharing Michael.

A - A hazy yellow beer with a thin white ring that goes for a head.

S - A cherry sour kind of smell. I wasn't expecting this from a Gueuze style.

T - Like I said; a cherry sour.

M - A medium carbonated beer and sour.

O - This is not my style, just to damn sour. I just can't understand that some people love this stuff.

2.25/5  rDev -49.9%

Aroma:Sour lemon and apple in the nose, with a funkiness.

Appearance:Pale golden orange, weak lacing, weak head.

Taste:On first taste, the sourness hits very hard. After that it gets easier to drink, and I start to get some faint citrus.

Mouthfeel:This one is harshly astringent on the back of my throat, which is helped by the mild carbonation.

Drinkability:This 2009 vintage is still kind of harsh, it probably needs a few more years in the bottle.

2.36/5  rDev -47.4%

2.38/5  rDev -47%

On tap at the Moan & Dove.

Pours light, foggy amber with orange hilights and small white head.

Smell is sour-patch-kids with an underlying character of hay or wheat.

Taste is like a mouthfull of liquid sour patch kids & pixie sticks laced with a somewhat rank wheat or yeasty underbelly.

Mouthfeel, when I wasn't puckering my mouth in reaction to the taste, seemed ok.

Other than the flavor, which has got to be a love it or hate it thing, it was passably drinkable.

There, I drank it. I opened my mind for a pint and decided this stuff just isn't for me. I've got to drink several more lambics, so maybe I'll eventually develop a taste for this, but as of this moment I find this stuff as close to my concept of beer as a Smirnoff Twisted.

Wyll-

2.38/5  rDev -47%

12.7 oz green bottle, corked and capped. cork says bottled in 2010. when cap is removed, there's a nasty black slime on top of the cork. I removed the cork without getting any in the beer.
warmed up to cellar temperature as instructed on the label.

appears a clear golden color, lots of carbonation bubbles stream to surface. smell is funky and musty, maybe a bit of citrus.

taste is extremely mouth puckeringly sour and harsh. lemon rind, vinegar. hard to drink. mouthfeel isn't bad. lighter body, significant carbonation.

overall - just way too sour for me. I've enjoyed other lambic styles, but this is just too much sour.

2.5/5  rDev -44.3%

2.76/5  rDev -38.5%

2.96/5  rDev -34.1%

2.99/5  rDev -33.4%

Not sure when/where I first had this. This review is for a recent tasting on cask at Teresa's, Wayne, PA.

Much like the normal tap version, this was a slightly hazy golden-yellow liquid, served in a stem glass; a small fizzy white head quickly dissipated leaving a few stray bubbles on top. Aroma was distant, hints of barnyard funk, grass, light citrus. Lots of lemon rind in the taste, more bitter than tart, very woody, unpleasantly so actually, barnyard funk and horseblanket, moldy cardboard, cobwebs, and stale Champagne; sourness factor was not very high, leaving the finish dry but bland. Very unbalanced. About medium bodied, mellow carbonation. I tend to look past the hype, but there's something about this beer...a particular taste in there that's not in any other gueuze I've had; I can't put my finger on what it is, but whatever it is, I simply find it unpleasant.

I've had several vintages of this, most notably, 1978. While I'm sure others would go ape over such a beer, I found it very unnecessary.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon