Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic Alström Bros
MrSeth

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a medium sized goblet with an orangey color with gold highlights. Lots of tight-knit groups of bubble formed a small white head. It subsides to leave just a ring, but lots of bubbly still going on.

The smell is vinous (champagney) and musky right from the start with a tinge of sourness. Also citrus zest in the nose.

Thin bodied, dry mouthfeel with a low-medium degree of carbonation. The taste is very mature, more forward than the malt are more musk and sourness. When the malt finally comes across it is underneath a wave of rich, winey flavors that are lighting up the back of the tongue. Great length! As a stand alone 12oz. bottle this is a pretty drinkable brew. I don't think I could drink much more than that in a sitting.

05-10-2005 03:30:42 | More by MrSeth
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

4.75/5  rDev +6%

75cl green bottle with full color picture of copper brew kettle. No dates.

Poured a cloudy dark straw/orange color with a white clingy head.

Whew! This has the funk on it! Super tart smell with a farmyard dankness.

I'm baffled. A definite citrus taste throughout, light crisp mouthfeel. Bone dry, oh, so friggin' dry. Great spritzy feel on the back of the mouth.

What a change of pace! What a great style of beer. I'm a believer.

04-19-2005 01:10:12 | More by Shultzerdugen
twelvsies

Maine

Wow what a weird beer. 2002 edition on tap at the Moan and Dove. My first experience with lambic beers, so I didn't know exactly what to look for but I've read a lot of reviews here that gave me a basic idea of what I was getting into. Apears a nice golden amber color with no head at all, very cloudy. Smell and taste are quite intense to say the least. Super sour tart and tangy with some funky grassy stinkyness. Total absence of any noticable malt or hops. Definitely abrasive but for some reason I kept wanting to take another sip. Mouthfeel is very dry and dusty, yet inviting. I actually had no problems drinking this beer, I finished the glass pretty quickly. I went into this one with an open mind, and I think that helped. I don't know if I liked this beer because I thought I was "supposed" to like it because it gets such great ratings here, or if I actually would've liked it if I had never heard of such a thing before. But the bottom line was I did like it. I wouldn't crave this one right after a long day to crack open and relax with like a nice quenching ale but I could see it as being a unique choice once in a while to change things up. I'll definately have to educate my palate a little more with this stuff.

02-27-2005 21:13:52 | More by twelvsies
mattcrill

1.73/5  rDev -61.4%

I'm assuming I just don't get this beer. To have this be called "beer" seems a bit of a stretch for me. I haven't had a ton of lambics but I can see why they add fruit to this stuff and I probably won't be having more of these.

Appearance: Hazy amber color similar to a pale ale with virtually no head.

Smell: Tart and vinegary. Maybe that wet horse blanket smell that people always talk about but to me it was more like wet arm pits.

Taste: Mouthwatering and puckering. It was like drinking bad lemon juice or sour white grapes. If I had something like this in my fridge and it smelled and tasted like this, I'd throw it out.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied I guess. It was definitely carbonated but it wasn't something I wanted to leave in my mouth that long.

Drinkability: Couldn't do it. It ended up in the drain. I had other non-BA's sample this all with the same nose curling results.

I'm sure this is an acquired taste. It took me time to acquire a taste for IPA' s but even my first IPA I said, "not bad...I can see getting into this". Not so for this. I don't want to be closed minded so I will probably re-visit this style again but it will be an exception no the norm. To each his own but damn...this stuff was rough.

02-25-2005 15:24:55 | More by mattcrill
pheurton

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a lambic basket into a cantillion glass at a great bar in the center of brussles that I can’t for the life of me remember the name of. Pale golden and cloudy with a divine funky, barnyard aroma. Hints of acetic acid and grape skins lurk in the background. Actively carbonated, lively on the tongue and initially shockingly refreshing and sour at the same time. Manages to be full bodied and devastatingly flavorful while punishing with the sourness and overall funk. A bit more fruity and alcoholic as it warms, the experience only increases in intensity and masochistic enjoyment. Not for the faint of heart, but for those who dare, it just don’t get any better than this.

02-09-2005 21:06:10 | More by pheurton
goodbyeohio

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

pours like a slightly-darker, slightly less-carbonated champagne.. smells of fermentation with fresh cut grass and other outdoor botanical scents..

the taste is hard to describe, with the fermentation flavor carrying over to dominate the beer's character. there is definite sour citrus in the finish, left on the back of your tongue after swallowing. perhaps the mystery of this beer is its uniqueness, and not something i can easily review.

drinkability is mediocre, but stunningly high for the usually-tart cantillon products.. not that this lacks tartness, but it is much more appropriate with this basic version. i'll stick with gambrinus but this was a nice, afternoon pairing with asiago and crusty bread.

02-07-2005 22:01:48 | More by goodbyeohio
DrunkMcDermott

3.85/5  rDev -14.1%

Don’t know how long this bottle hovered in back of the liquor store cooler in Clinton, NJ, but it doesn’t have the current label...
Whoa! Big horsey smell when I finally got the slightly moldy cork out of the bottle. Kicked up a big foamy head when I poured it, that quickly subsided as I set up some crackers and blue cheese. Appearance is just like a pilsner, yet somehow more pleasing. That original smell went away, too. Taste combines aspects of a dry champagne and a sour grape juice. Sourness is not distracting, rather, allows more subtle traces of fruits. Can’t pick up too much malts or hops, but color is like a good French farmhouse ale. Yeast dregs on bottom add extra note of grape skin tannins. Good introduction to this style for me!

02-01-2005 19:01:17 | More by DrunkMcDermott
orbitalr0x

4.83/5  rDev +7.8%

2003 on the cork...my first foray into the world of gueuze and Cantillon...the excitement brews. Pours a wonderful cloudy golden yellow with a nice small bubbly head. A heady mix of sour lemon, vinegar acidity, hints of cloves, high school locker room after football practice and a faint resemblence to fruity white wine. Complex, intriguing and yes, funky aromas. Very nice.

Mouth puckering sour lemon swirlng with notes of white vinegar, horse stable, a slight pepper and some dirty socks. There's almost as much acid here as a Grateful Dead parking lot. Wonderfully light bubbly carbonation accentuates this beer greatly. An intense and rewarding experience to drink...each sip simply begs for you to take another. Awesome.

Smooth mouthfeel with a wonderful carbonation that works really well. This is such a joy to drink and I could easily enjoy this all night. I'm looking forward to trying more Cantillon offerings as I am extremely impressed. Highly recommended.

01-21-2005 04:10:39 | More by orbitalr0x
bigbeerdrinka

Germany

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a pale golden color with a nice light head leaving no lace. There are scents of crabapples, tartness and sourness, some barnyard, and bits of zest. Flavors are a concentration of acidic and acetic tones, with hints of zest and apple notes as well. There is a huge mouth puckering sourness to this brew that lets you know its Cantillon. There is also what I would say be an almost salty tone here and there but it is very faint and the sourness masks over it. The finish to this brew is effectively tart and sour with a nice backing of peppery spiciness that lingers on the tongue just letting you know that this is one truly funky ass brew. There is also slight hints of sweetness just here and there which add to the depth of this brew. This is definetly not for the faint of heart but a fully enjoyable brew that I will always look for.

01-15-2005 05:25:16 | More by bigbeerdrinka
nogoodreason

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Shimmering, glittering, hazy gold. Fine sparkling carbonation clings to the side of the glass.

Deep, bright and sharp in the nose, with wild sour aromas floating about below the sharp acidity.

At first, it's so sharp that it's almost numbing, only a trace lemony sourness and a sharp, bright acidity are dectecable. As I adjusted to this tart, tart world, I found some of that funk that I expected. It's got a definite animal-like smell, like straw with traces of sweat, but it's good, it's honestly good. It's bone-dry the whole ride and finishes that way, with cheek-puckering acidity and a lovely hint of straw.

Nice. Nice. Nice.

01-10-2005 21:17:50 | More by nogoodreason
Crotor

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%

According to the cork, bottled in 2002. There was some liquid with black floaties on the cap - smelled just like the malt vinnegar I put on my fish & chips the other day. The cork seemed otherwise intact.

Pours a cloudy, light orange color with an ample if sudsy-soapy head.

Smells a bit soapy and spicy. Sourness not really present in the aroma. A hint of barnyard funk.

Whooooa man is it sour. The sourness seems to come in three waves. *Intense.* Definite barnyard character in the back, and a hint of grain. Almost seems to be a hint of bitterness... is that hopping or is that just the brett-barnyardness? Mouth-puckering dry and green-apple tart.

Overall, a unique and highly respectble experience. Surprisingly drinkable for such a funky brew. Will try it again when I can get it...

12-29-2004 22:41:10 | More by Crotor
allengarvin

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

2001 Gueuze (according to bottle), 2003 bottling (according to cork). 750ml bottle. From notes taken during thanksgiving dinner.

Appearance: Pale, very cloudy gold, with no head to speak of. Not particularly nice looking, but you can't discount what expected of the style.

Aroma: Tart, slightly sweaty aroma.

Flavor: Fairly acidic-sour, with woody, grassy flavors. A little hint of citrus (not hoppy citrus) lemon flavor. Long, quite dry finish.

Body: Fairly flat carbonation and low body.

Still fairly young, I think this could have stood a year or two more in the bottle, but I wanted it with my thanksgiving dinner. A decent gueuze, though somewhat mild. Somewhat variable; I'm sure I've had more sour bottles of Cantillon gueuze in the past.

11-30-2004 03:45:13 | More by allengarvin
rdrummer

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%

I am rather new to this style, but I loved this beer. It poured a bright, bubbly, clear light golden with a smallish pure white head. It looked very much light a good champagne with less carbonation.

The aroma is one of sourness that I really enjoy. The sourness, however, is balanced by a slightly sweet malty undertone. There is also a hint of the yeast in the smell.

I've read some places that geuze is not sour, but it tastes sour to me, and I love that sourness in many foods and drinks. There are hints of many other flavors underlying the sour, including some citrus hints. The mouthfeel is exceptionally clean with no bitterness at all. The carbonation cleanses the palate, and the residual sweetness refreshes.

People have told me there is much better geuze out there so the search continues.

11-26-2004 21:09:41 | More by rdrummer
markman

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev -11.2%

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic (cork says 1997, 750 ml label on a 375 ml bottle):

I think I’m on to something here…

Apple juice color pour with a nice tight head…the aroma leaped out, but damned if I can get a fix on what it is: grass, hay, some kind of damn musty barn animal…horse perhaps. But the taste is, how do I best put this. Freakin’ tart…acidic tartness hits hard, stabs then twists. Hangs around a while, and then an earthy pitlike fullness lays on the tongue and sits there like a freakin’ slug. Damn stuff puts Goosebumps on my Goosebumps (credit to Bugs Bunny…or was that Daffy Duck). I am relatively new to this style, but I get the feeling that I am in the presence of greatness.

Cheers…

11-24-2004 01:50:32 | More by markman
meathookjones

3.8/5  rDev -15.2%

This poured out a clear orange with about an inch of white head on top. It left a slight scattering of lace around the glass as it was consumed. Aroma was sharply tart at first but mellowed out after a few minutes. There was a bit of sweetness to the aroma as well. The taste followed suite with a strong acidic tartness upfront before the sweetness came in to add some balance. The tartness definitely caused this one to be a real sipper for me since I am not used to this style of beer yet. Body was about light to medium with a crisp feel to it. With this being my first gueze and all I really didn’t find it very drinkable in comparison to most lambics I’ve had. It wasn’t bad by any means just different. I plan on sticking with the style and coming back for a re-review if necessary.

11-10-2004 19:51:44 | More by meathookjones
necoadam

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev -8.5%

12 oz bottle

Pours out a hazy orange with a nice head that stays with you the entire time.

Smell consisted of horse blanket, farm funk, lemon sourness, a true classic nose of a gueze.

Taste was pretty good. Sourness hidden by some oranges. Feels light in a way. I was expecting it to be quite sour, but that orange flavor really hideen it well. Finshed very dry. Almost Orval-like dryness. But it was in good way.

I'm not really a gueuze man, but this is one that I wouldn't mind trying every now and then.

10-28-2004 19:27:11 | More by necoadam
TinusTime

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

Wow pours a golden yellow with a head that well even when poured into a geuze glass was foaming to go.. Aroma is well.. take me to funkytown.. Cider, half rotten apples, horseblanket, champaigne. All melding in.. Taste is very very tart, a bit of aged vinegar with a cider backbone. My only other gueze was lindemans regular, but this was way above that.. too many tastes to mention. It was like drinking an aged cider vinegar at the same time with a nice saison and craft cidre.. I want more of this. Drinks so smooth tis not funny.. I wish i had snapped up more of these.. Bought at Lee and Edwards in Roanoke.. I wish I had bought the Rose d;Gambrinus but it was 20 bucks and the better have was giving me the sideways glance...

09-18-2004 03:53:59 | More by TinusTime
RoyalT

4.75/5  rDev +6%

Appearance – This one is bright, light orange in color with some good, visible carbonation. The color was crystal clear; almost radiant. The head was modest and fully white.

Smell – This was still cold when I opened it. The nose started off with a light sourness that developed into some beautiful horse blanket. This is your classic horsey aroma. A second assessment of the nose after an hour or so showed a bit stronger sourness and the presence of a good, healthy malt base that was kind of yeasty.

Taste – The light, freshly-squeezed lemonade was very even. This Gueze is not overly sour like other efforts I’ve tasted. The light, unsweetened pink grapefruit and hints of cherries rightly complimented the other flavors that I picked up at the nose. Everything here is so natural. I almost missed the light, natural sweetness until Skyhand pointed it out to me.

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied Gueze is very dry without a hint of bitterness. The delicate, active carbonation was right on. This one is perfectly blended. The balanced mouthfeel was the key to my enjoyment of this Cantillon.

Drinkability – How can you go wrong? This is not an over-the-top example of this Belgium style. It is incredibly well-blended and balanced. It is the perfect mating of light sourness, intense but pleasing dryness, and wonderful carbonation.

Comments – I popped this 2001 to celebrate my 1,000th review on the site, and it surely made the occasion a memorable one.

Reviewing Notes: I could have copied and pasted the style description right out of the BJCP on-line style guide to write this review. Word for word this bottle represents the ideal of a Belgian Gueze.

09-09-2004 15:23:13 | More by RoyalT
soper2000

4.83/5  rDev +7.8%

I excitedly picked up a bottle of this at Kahn's in Indianapolis. This is my first Gueuze, so I really didn't know what to expect but I have been craving a nice sour beer for a long time.
There was a decent amount of gunsmoke but no gushing when I popped the cork on this one. I came to realize this was bottled in 2002 as noted by the cork. A nice pale golden color supported an instantly disapating white head, leaving only a slight collar around the edge of the glass. Aroma was very intense, instantly filling my room with a musty fruitiness. Nose isn't as funky as I was expecting, but there definately are aromas of tart apples. Taste matches well with the aroma. Initially very dry with strong fruit notes but dissolves into a sourness that wasn't as over the top as I was expecting. A little bit of saison barnyard flavor comes through but it is really subtle. The flavor this leaves on your lips is superb. I was suprised to find this highly drinkable (or sipable). An excellent excellent brew. I'm now on a mission to sample as much Cantillon as possible and I can only pray that other gueuzes are as excellent as this one.

09-07-2004 01:02:14 | More by soper2000
bditty187

Nebraska

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Clear, peachy-gold in hue with a shinny coppery highlight. The color is gorgeous. From the beginning there was loads of animation racing towards the white head, after a few moments the animation because lazy. Concurrently, the once half finger of bubbly white head slipped to a fizzy collar with pockets of foam in the middle. Subsequent lacing was minimal, spotty, and it didn’t cling well to boot. The nose is very lively with an interesting acidic pepperiness, woody too. At the back was an aroma of peppermint. Lemony. Sharp yet distant wheaty hints. There are some horsehair and barnyard aromas too. Old gym socks; plus three-day-old grapefruit rinds with a grassy suggestion. As typical for the style the acidity really carries the nose. Inviting just because it is so funky. I do wish the potency was much louder, regardless I don’t have any problems detected the smells. Maybe I am being greedy. Still I am compelled to sip. Again, as expected the palate is very acidic and amazingly juicy. Mouthwatering. Mouth-puckering. Succulent. The straightforward sharp acidity cuts like a knife from start to finish. Very refreshing. In-between bites of acidity are slight woody notes, some peppery flavors as well. Occasionally I detect a minty taste as well as some green apples. White wine. There is a wheaty taste towards the finish, not bright in flavor but noticeable. I adore the huge sourness! Dry finish and quite long. The palate is not as complex as the nose indicated but it is damn tasty. And a bit different then the bouquet led on. The sour/acidity drives the palate and this alone steals the show. All of the other flavors are too secondary. Maybe if I drink gueuze more often I would pick up other flavors better; maybe not as I am not completely uneducated in the style. Still, I’m not complaining. It is impressing such a beer can be produced with such a low abv. Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is pleasant but not spectacular. Amazingly drinkable and super refreshing, this is something I need to drink more of. To bad I can only find it (“locally”) in Iowa City. That is where I bought my bottle. I will stock up on my next trip. This beer is very special.

08-29-2004 16:28:17 | More by bditty187
ithacabaron

4.97/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a dusty, musty yellow into my glass, with a small head that quickly settles down.

Aromas are all over the place -- rusted steel, cat urine, straw/hay, decaying citrus rind, etc. I could smell this all day. It's one of those aromas that you never quite forget, and instantly recognize, much like an old locker room. That smell is in here too, come to think of it.

Taste is pungently sour, but not overwhelming. The tastes are similar to the aromas, but even more present and vital here. It's very hard to describe...just one of those things that has to be enjoyed.

Mouthfeel is perfect for the style, light and dancing on the tongue -- this would be a perfect substitute for champagne.

Drinkability depends on who you are. Myself, I consider this eminently drinkable, especially during the hotter days of the summer. Another friend of mine drinks half a glass and has an acidic stomach all evening. To each their own. Seeing how this is my review, it gets a 5.

This is the quintessential Gueuze Lambic. Additionally, I prefer it to the flavored lambics that Cantillon makes, as it lets the brewer's craft truly shine. There are those in the Cantillon catalogue that are inventive than this, there are those that have wonderful ingredients added, but in a style as random and varied as the winds that blow through the brewery, this beer remains the benchmark.

A beautiul thing.

08-18-2004 19:42:47 | More by ithacabaron
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev -16.7%

Very Sour but smooth, a beverage requiring food to balance the acid. Amber haze. Apple aroma and sour green apple taste. Mid sip sweetness Not for popularity, and must be shared. Dries throat and leaves a sour with sugar and salt aftertaste. Drink for the experience and then have something to remove the taste.

08-06-2004 02:22:51 | More by Sammy
wyllder

2.38/5  rDev -46.9%

On tap at the Moan & Dove.

Pours light, foggy amber with orange hilights and small white head.

Smell is sour-patch-kids with an underlying character of hay or wheat.

Taste is like a mouthfull of liquid sour patch kids & pixie sticks laced with a somewhat rank wheat or yeasty underbelly.

Mouthfeel, when I wasn't puckering my mouth in reaction to the taste, seemed ok.

Other than the flavor, which has got to be a love it or hate it thing, it was passably drinkable.

There, I drank it. I opened my mind for a pint and decided this stuff just isn't for me. I've got to drink several more lambics, so maybe I'll eventually develop a taste for this, but as of this moment I find this stuff as close to my concept of beer as a Smirnoff Twisted.

Wyll-

08-02-2004 22:47:22 | More by wyllder
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: sampled at the brewery in Brussels. Poured a golden colored beer with great carbonation and a good head. Aroma is a mix between some floral tomes and the Cantillon yeast. Taste is a bit deceiving since it is too much acidic that it kills the rest of the flavours. I know this is supposed to be the classic gueuze but I believe that some other gueuze a better balanced then this one.

Re-rate: Bottle dated 2004. Barnyard aroma with sourness and acidic notes quite evident. Taste is quite sour but not as acidic as the bottle tasted in Brussels which was probably fresher. This version seems to make more sense with ratings included here.

06-29-2004 18:28:30 | More by Phyl21ca
cokes

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

5th bottling. Oct 2000.
Vivid golden orange, skimmed on top by milky white foam.
It's got the hallmarks of gueuze nailed in the nose department. Hay soaked in oaky Chardonnay and urine. Add some lemon pulp, rust and dirt and there you have it.
Wheaty up front, and just for a moment. Then it begins its descent. Rusty iron, cobwebs, and mildewed hay. Uncut, unadulterated lime juice tartness and acidity. Acidity is futhered by a white vinousness. Oaky hues are bolstered down the stretch. Cottony, sharp cheese. Ends with lemon-squeezed soil.
Mouthfeel is equally silty soft and cuttingly sharp. A rope-a-dope in the mouth. The compacted yet steady carbonation keeps this drinkable indefinitely.
The remarkable thing here is that it serves equally well as a quencher as it does as a stand-alone experience.
It's not the foulest, loudest gueuze out there (though it comes close). But it's likely among the finest.

Huge praise, 'Huge.