2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Gueuze 100% LambicCantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,860 | Reviews: 544 | Show All Ratings:
TurdFurgison

4.58/5  rDev +2.2%

I had a bottle of this at the Hopleaf in Chicago. The bottle was somewhere between 12oz and 24oz, and was presented with a Cantillon tumbler.

The color was pale whitish-yellow with a nicy fizzy head. The closest description is carbonated grapefruit juice but with nice barnyard aromas and flavors. It had a kind of horsy muskiness which worked well with the mouth-puckering tart sourness.

Excellent, I've come around to this style of beer.

06-24-2006 21:59:44 | More by TurdFurgison
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev -7.8%

First I am not a fan of Gueuze, yes I like them for their complexity, unlike some of my beerbuddies who would drink gallons of them per day, for me it is an acquired taste and flavors I like to enjoy once in a while.

Dark golden beer with a very good and present carbonation, shy head retention that comes out and say "hi" and "bye".

Smell is tart, fruity, dry, hard and herbal like, you can notice some apples, orange and spice in the mix that come in with some farm like flavors.

Taste is dry, harsh to my humble palate, dry hoppy, followed by a sourness, orange, fruit and green apple hit you with some shy notes of spices.

06-07-2006 18:32:54 | More by 3Vandoo
dogfooddog

Panama

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml dated 'fifth bottling, october 2000'. cork says bottled 2000 also.

pours large head with absolutely fabulous aroma - has the typical cantillon mustiness with a very astringent nose. I have owned a number of these bottles for a few years and this batch has improved markedly over time.

taste is acidic, but not overwheliming puckerish, somewhat complex and very refreshing. the finish is moderate and sour, overall a very good result. at this age it is by far the most complex of any gueuze i own at present. Having had many of cantillon's other products recently it is kind of odd not to taste any fruits or other oddities, but this gueuze is extremely pleasant.

03-18-2006 05:16:08 | More by dogfooddog
reselavy

3.8/5  rDev -15.2%

Lemon sour, dry, and a faint touch of horse stables. Lively carbonation.

I've had this gueze before and never could get used to the overwhelming sourness. However, I took a different approach this time; wines often benefit from being paired with food, so I made crabcakes to serve with this beer. Wow! The sweetness of the crab and the sourness of this gueze were a perfect match, a real dialogue of flavors.

01-07-2006 03:16:37 | More by reselavy
atigerlife

Hawaii

4.38/5  rDev -2.2%

750 ml bottle ordered direclty from Belgium. Served in a champagne flute.

My first gueuze, so nothing to compare it too.

Nice head with good lacing. Poured a nice orange/yellow with small bubbles. The smell was of hay and fermenting apples. Almost like standing in an orchard in fall.

The taste is of apples with a dry beginning and a slight bitter/acidic ending. Not nearly as harsh as I was expecting. My main impression was that this was an amazingly complex taste. So many slight flavors wafting through that I couldn't quite pin it all down.

It had a nice mouthfeel, quite smooth and above average carbonation. Cleansing on the palate. Thirst quenching. Overally, this is very drinkable. I am glad I have another bottle to sample.

This was the hit at my beer/dinner party. Quite impressive in the champagne flute and went very well with some excellent cheddar. Can't wait to have some more.

11-06-2005 18:14:55 | More by atigerlife
connecticutpoet

3.13/5  rDev -30.1%

Sampled at the CT River Brewfest 2005 in Holyoke, MA.

This was a dark yellow, hazy beer with not much head. OK, I suppose... only had a few of the style before. Hard to judge.

Aroma was vinous and VERY SOUR!!! That was about all I got.

Taste was mainly sour, a little tart, not sweet at all. Not well balanced for my tastes.

Mouthfeel was a little astringent, and a bit fizzy. OK, not stellar.

Not the most drinkable gueuze I have ever had. Glad the mug only cost $2.00, rather than having to buy a bottle for $10.99.

09-17-2005 03:36:11 | More by connecticutpoet
Bierschenker

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%

The expected tart smell. Fruity full bodied odour. Wine like, but extra sour/bitter element.
In a typical glass.
Foggy oxidised yellow colour with a vivid carbonation.
White bubbly head that becomes smaller.
Very rich taste, sour wine like. Ends bitter, the bitterness goes over in the aftertaste. This bitterness becomes drier. No hops, no malts.

I filled the last glass and added the remains in the bottle. Quite different.
It didn’t give a head. The smell was different too. Less strong, the sour wine smell was weaker. It looks like polluted ditch water.
Taste was different too. Much more sour. Very full taste. Sourness makes the aftertaste and is over powering. Some sweet tones too.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

06-17-2005 10:59:28 | More by Bierschenker
MrSeth

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into a medium sized goblet with an orangey color with gold highlights. Lots of tight-knit groups of bubble formed a small white head. It subsides to leave just a ring, but lots of bubbly still going on.

The smell is vinous (champagney) and musky right from the start with a tinge of sourness. Also citrus zest in the nose.

Thin bodied, dry mouthfeel with a low-medium degree of carbonation. The taste is very mature, more forward than the malt are more musk and sourness. When the malt finally comes across it is underneath a wave of rich, winey flavors that are lighting up the back of the tongue. Great length! As a stand alone 12oz. bottle this is a pretty drinkable brew. I don't think I could drink much more than that in a sitting.

05-10-2005 03:30:42 | More by MrSeth
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

4.75/5  rDev +6%

75cl green bottle with full color picture of copper brew kettle. No dates.

Poured a cloudy dark straw/orange color with a white clingy head.

Whew! This has the funk on it! Super tart smell with a farmyard dankness.

I'm baffled. A definite citrus taste throughout, light crisp mouthfeel. Bone dry, oh, so friggin' dry. Great spritzy feel on the back of the mouth.

What a change of pace! What a great style of beer. I'm a believer.

04-19-2005 01:10:12 | More by Shultzerdugen
twelvsies

Maine

Wow what a weird beer. 2002 edition on tap at the Moan and Dove. My first experience with lambic beers, so I didn't know exactly what to look for but I've read a lot of reviews here that gave me a basic idea of what I was getting into. Apears a nice golden amber color with no head at all, very cloudy. Smell and taste are quite intense to say the least. Super sour tart and tangy with some funky grassy stinkyness. Total absence of any noticable malt or hops. Definitely abrasive but for some reason I kept wanting to take another sip. Mouthfeel is very dry and dusty, yet inviting. I actually had no problems drinking this beer, I finished the glass pretty quickly. I went into this one with an open mind, and I think that helped. I don't know if I liked this beer because I thought I was "supposed" to like it because it gets such great ratings here, or if I actually would've liked it if I had never heard of such a thing before. But the bottom line was I did like it. I wouldn't crave this one right after a long day to crack open and relax with like a nice quenching ale but I could see it as being a unique choice once in a while to change things up. I'll definately have to educate my palate a little more with this stuff.

02-27-2005 21:13:52 | More by twelvsies
mattcrill

1.73/5  rDev -61.4%

I'm assuming I just don't get this beer. To have this be called "beer" seems a bit of a stretch for me. I haven't had a ton of lambics but I can see why they add fruit to this stuff and I probably won't be having more of these.

Appearance: Hazy amber color similar to a pale ale with virtually no head.

Smell: Tart and vinegary. Maybe that wet horse blanket smell that people always talk about but to me it was more like wet arm pits.

Taste: Mouthwatering and puckering. It was like drinking bad lemon juice or sour white grapes. If I had something like this in my fridge and it smelled and tasted like this, I'd throw it out.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied I guess. It was definitely carbonated but it wasn't something I wanted to leave in my mouth that long.

Drinkability: Couldn't do it. It ended up in the drain. I had other non-BA's sample this all with the same nose curling results.

I'm sure this is an acquired taste. It took me time to acquire a taste for IPA' s but even my first IPA I said, "not bad...I can see getting into this". Not so for this. I don't want to be closed minded so I will probably re-visit this style again but it will be an exception no the norm. To each his own but damn...this stuff was rough.

02-25-2005 15:24:55 | More by mattcrill
pheurton

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%

Served in a lambic basket into a cantillion glass at a great bar in the center of brussles that I can’t for the life of me remember the name of. Pale golden and cloudy with a divine funky, barnyard aroma. Hints of acetic acid and grape skins lurk in the background. Actively carbonated, lively on the tongue and initially shockingly refreshing and sour at the same time. Manages to be full bodied and devastatingly flavorful while punishing with the sourness and overall funk. A bit more fruity and alcoholic as it warms, the experience only increases in intensity and masochistic enjoyment. Not for the faint of heart, but for those who dare, it just don’t get any better than this.

02-09-2005 21:06:10 | More by pheurton
goodbyeohio

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

pours like a slightly-darker, slightly less-carbonated champagne.. smells of fermentation with fresh cut grass and other outdoor botanical scents..

the taste is hard to describe, with the fermentation flavor carrying over to dominate the beer's character. there is definite sour citrus in the finish, left on the back of your tongue after swallowing. perhaps the mystery of this beer is its uniqueness, and not something i can easily review.

drinkability is mediocre, but stunningly high for the usually-tart cantillon products.. not that this lacks tartness, but it is much more appropriate with this basic version. i'll stick with gambrinus but this was a nice, afternoon pairing with asiago and crusty bread.

02-07-2005 22:01:48 | More by goodbyeohio
DrunkMcDermott

3.85/5  rDev -14.1%

Don’t know how long this bottle hovered in back of the liquor store cooler in Clinton, NJ, but it doesn’t have the current label...
Whoa! Big horsey smell when I finally got the slightly moldy cork out of the bottle. Kicked up a big foamy head when I poured it, that quickly subsided as I set up some crackers and blue cheese. Appearance is just like a pilsner, yet somehow more pleasing. That original smell went away, too. Taste combines aspects of a dry champagne and a sour grape juice. Sourness is not distracting, rather, allows more subtle traces of fruits. Can’t pick up too much malts or hops, but color is like a good French farmhouse ale. Yeast dregs on bottom add extra note of grape skin tannins. Good introduction to this style for me!

02-01-2005 19:01:17 | More by DrunkMcDermott
orbitalr0x

4.83/5  rDev +7.8%

2003 on the cork...my first foray into the world of gueuze and Cantillon...the excitement brews. Pours a wonderful cloudy golden yellow with a nice small bubbly head. A heady mix of sour lemon, vinegar acidity, hints of cloves, high school locker room after football practice and a faint resemblence to fruity white wine. Complex, intriguing and yes, funky aromas. Very nice.

Mouth puckering sour lemon swirlng with notes of white vinegar, horse stable, a slight pepper and some dirty socks. There's almost as much acid here as a Grateful Dead parking lot. Wonderfully light bubbly carbonation accentuates this beer greatly. An intense and rewarding experience to drink...each sip simply begs for you to take another. Awesome.

Smooth mouthfeel with a wonderful carbonation that works really well. This is such a joy to drink and I could easily enjoy this all night. I'm looking forward to trying more Cantillon offerings as I am extremely impressed. Highly recommended.

01-21-2005 04:10:39 | More by orbitalr0x
bigbeerdrinka

Germany

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a pale golden color with a nice light head leaving no lace. There are scents of crabapples, tartness and sourness, some barnyard, and bits of zest. Flavors are a concentration of acidic and acetic tones, with hints of zest and apple notes as well. There is a huge mouth puckering sourness to this brew that lets you know its Cantillon. There is also what I would say be an almost salty tone here and there but it is very faint and the sourness masks over it. The finish to this brew is effectively tart and sour with a nice backing of peppery spiciness that lingers on the tongue just letting you know that this is one truly funky ass brew. There is also slight hints of sweetness just here and there which add to the depth of this brew. This is definetly not for the faint of heart but a fully enjoyable brew that I will always look for.

01-15-2005 05:25:16 | More by bigbeerdrinka
nogoodreason

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Shimmering, glittering, hazy gold. Fine sparkling carbonation clings to the side of the glass.

Deep, bright and sharp in the nose, with wild sour aromas floating about below the sharp acidity.

At first, it's so sharp that it's almost numbing, only a trace lemony sourness and a sharp, bright acidity are dectecable. As I adjusted to this tart, tart world, I found some of that funk that I expected. It's got a definite animal-like smell, like straw with traces of sweat, but it's good, it's honestly good. It's bone-dry the whole ride and finishes that way, with cheek-puckering acidity and a lovely hint of straw.

Nice. Nice. Nice.

01-10-2005 21:17:50 | More by nogoodreason
Crotor

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%

According to the cork, bottled in 2002. There was some liquid with black floaties on the cap - smelled just like the malt vinnegar I put on my fish & chips the other day. The cork seemed otherwise intact.

Pours a cloudy, light orange color with an ample if sudsy-soapy head.

Smells a bit soapy and spicy. Sourness not really present in the aroma. A hint of barnyard funk.

Whooooa man is it sour. The sourness seems to come in three waves. *Intense.* Definite barnyard character in the back, and a hint of grain. Almost seems to be a hint of bitterness... is that hopping or is that just the brett-barnyardness? Mouth-puckering dry and green-apple tart.

Overall, a unique and highly respectble experience. Surprisingly drinkable for such a funky brew. Will try it again when I can get it...

12-29-2004 22:41:10 | More by Crotor
allengarvin

4.2/5  rDev -6.3%

2001 Gueuze (according to bottle), 2003 bottling (according to cork). 750ml bottle. From notes taken during thanksgiving dinner.

Appearance: Pale, very cloudy gold, with no head to speak of. Not particularly nice looking, but you can't discount what expected of the style.

Aroma: Tart, slightly sweaty aroma.

Flavor: Fairly acidic-sour, with woody, grassy flavors. A little hint of citrus (not hoppy citrus) lemon flavor. Long, quite dry finish.

Body: Fairly flat carbonation and low body.

Still fairly young, I think this could have stood a year or two more in the bottle, but I wanted it with my thanksgiving dinner. A decent gueuze, though somewhat mild. Somewhat variable; I'm sure I've had more sour bottles of Cantillon gueuze in the past.

11-30-2004 03:45:13 | More by allengarvin
rdrummer

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%

I am rather new to this style, but I loved this beer. It poured a bright, bubbly, clear light golden with a smallish pure white head. It looked very much light a good champagne with less carbonation.

The aroma is one of sourness that I really enjoy. The sourness, however, is balanced by a slightly sweet malty undertone. There is also a hint of the yeast in the smell.

I've read some places that geuze is not sour, but it tastes sour to me, and I love that sourness in many foods and drinks. There are hints of many other flavors underlying the sour, including some citrus hints. The mouthfeel is exceptionally clean with no bitterness at all. The carbonation cleanses the palate, and the residual sweetness refreshes.

People have told me there is much better geuze out there so the search continues.

11-26-2004 21:09:41 | More by rdrummer
markman

3.98/5  rDev -11.2%

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic (cork says 1997, 750 ml label on a 375 ml bottle):

I think I’m on to something here…

Apple juice color pour with a nice tight head…the aroma leaped out, but damned if I can get a fix on what it is: grass, hay, some kind of damn musty barn animal…horse perhaps. But the taste is, how do I best put this. Freakin’ tart…acidic tartness hits hard, stabs then twists. Hangs around a while, and then an earthy pitlike fullness lays on the tongue and sits there like a freakin’ slug. Damn stuff puts Goosebumps on my Goosebumps (credit to Bugs Bunny…or was that Daffy Duck). I am relatively new to this style, but I get the feeling that I am in the presence of greatness.

Cheers…

11-24-2004 01:50:32 | More by markman
meathookjones

3.8/5  rDev -15.2%

This poured out a clear orange with about an inch of white head on top. It left a slight scattering of lace around the glass as it was consumed. Aroma was sharply tart at first but mellowed out after a few minutes. There was a bit of sweetness to the aroma as well. The taste followed suite with a strong acidic tartness upfront before the sweetness came in to add some balance. The tartness definitely caused this one to be a real sipper for me since I am not used to this style of beer yet. Body was about light to medium with a crisp feel to it. With this being my first gueze and all I really didn’t find it very drinkable in comparison to most lambics I’ve had. It wasn’t bad by any means just different. I plan on sticking with the style and coming back for a re-review if necessary.

11-10-2004 19:51:44 | More by meathookjones
necoadam

4.1/5  rDev -8.5%

12 oz bottle

Pours out a hazy orange with a nice head that stays with you the entire time.

Smell consisted of horse blanket, farm funk, lemon sourness, a true classic nose of a gueze.

Taste was pretty good. Sourness hidden by some oranges. Feels light in a way. I was expecting it to be quite sour, but that orange flavor really hideen it well. Finshed very dry. Almost Orval-like dryness. But it was in good way.

I'm not really a gueuze man, but this is one that I wouldn't mind trying every now and then.

10-28-2004 19:27:11 | More by necoadam
TinusTime

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

Wow pours a golden yellow with a head that well even when poured into a geuze glass was foaming to go.. Aroma is well.. take me to funkytown.. Cider, half rotten apples, horseblanket, champaigne. All melding in.. Taste is very very tart, a bit of aged vinegar with a cider backbone. My only other gueze was lindemans regular, but this was way above that.. too many tastes to mention. It was like drinking an aged cider vinegar at the same time with a nice saison and craft cidre.. I want more of this. Drinks so smooth tis not funny.. I wish i had snapped up more of these.. Bought at Lee and Edwards in Roanoke.. I wish I had bought the Rose d;Gambrinus but it was 20 bucks and the better have was giving me the sideways glance...

09-18-2004 03:53:59 | More by TinusTime
RoyalT

4.75/5  rDev +6%

Appearance – This one is bright, light orange in color with some good, visible carbonation. The color was crystal clear; almost radiant. The head was modest and fully white.

Smell – This was still cold when I opened it. The nose started off with a light sourness that developed into some beautiful horse blanket. This is your classic horsey aroma. A second assessment of the nose after an hour or so showed a bit stronger sourness and the presence of a good, healthy malt base that was kind of yeasty.

Taste – The light, freshly-squeezed lemonade was very even. This Gueze is not overly sour like other efforts I’ve tasted. The light, unsweetened pink grapefruit and hints of cherries rightly complimented the other flavors that I picked up at the nose. Everything here is so natural. I almost missed the light, natural sweetness until Skyhand pointed it out to me.

Mouthfeel – This light-bodied Gueze is very dry without a hint of bitterness. The delicate, active carbonation was right on. This one is perfectly blended. The balanced mouthfeel was the key to my enjoyment of this Cantillon.

Drinkability – How can you go wrong? This is not an over-the-top example of this Belgium style. It is incredibly well-blended and balanced. It is the perfect mating of light sourness, intense but pleasing dryness, and wonderful carbonation.

Comments – I popped this 2001 to celebrate my 1,000th review on the site, and it surely made the occasion a memorable one.

Reviewing Notes: I could have copied and pasted the style description right out of the BJCP on-line style guide to write this review. Word for word this bottle represents the ideal of a Belgian Gueze.

09-09-2004 15:23:13 | More by RoyalT