Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 1,037
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Gueuze |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-14-2001

This listing is for all vintages (Gueuze, Oude Gueuze, etc.).
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic Alström Bros
Reviews: 594 | Hads: 2,817
4.79/5  rDev +10.4%

Bottled October 2008. I had to kinda mangle the cork to get it out.

Poured into a goblet. Sparkling gold, no head retention.

It has the unmistakable Cantillon aroma right off the bat - it wafts out of the bottle as soon as you pull the cork. There's a lot of musty peach-crate with this one, also apple orchard and wood. Textbook gueuze aroma.

As is typical, on first sip, the level of sour was almost shocking. Yet as the palate acclimates, each successive sip becomes less sour, to the point where I find myself not taking sips, but rather taking large swallows. Holy f'ing crap, this is tasty and easy to drink! Lemon-peach sourness and light wood, some definite cheesy funk. Also of note, I really get the aged hop in this gueuze. Very nice interplay of sour, funk and bitter going on - but would you expect anything less.

There's just a soft kiss of carbonation - I love the carbonation level I typically find in Cantillon bottles. So smooth.

This is a benchmark gueuze, worthy of the name "Classic." We beer nerds tend to go wild (pun intended) for the latest sour offerings from Russian River and Lost Abbey - as good as those beers are, this is every bit as good, if not more so, in my opinion.

Some Cantillon brews are so sour, your stomach starts to feel it. Not so with this....as I said, I find myself taking large, deep sips of this with no gastric protest. Tasty, complex, low-ABV - real winner here. Big time. I don't know which gueuze I like better, this or Girardin. Outstanding. I'm pretty close to giving this a straight 5. (1,552 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -6.5%

375ml corked & capped bottle (cork dated 2008) into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear golden body with a thin, coarse head of persistent white bubbles. Not terribly compelling.

S: Highly piquant aroma of sour funk, unripe fruit, and spicy mustard. Slightly oaky and decidedly vinous. I'm loving it.

T: Puckeringly sour, with green apple dominating throughout. A little bit of the mustard from the nose comes through, but not much. No real funk, either. The sourness does relent a bit on the finish, where a touch of sweetness shows up. Extremly tasty, with my only complaint being that it's a little one-dimensional with the tart acidity.

M: Smooth, medium bodied, and nearly still - just a bit of soft carbonation shows up after vigorous swishing. A bit more life would be welcome.

D: Pretty good considering how sour it is, but I'm glad I got the 375 instead of the full 750.

Notes: Hugely flavorful, and pretty complex. I kind of dig the mustard, as well as the smooth finish. I bought this after being blown away by Girardin, and the Cantillon didn't quite measure up. While delicious, this beer just doesn't have quite the depth of the unfiltered Girardin. I'm definitely looking forward to trying more of Cantillon's offerings.

Cheers! (1,246 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375 mL cork-n-crown champagne bottle, bottled in 2007. Brewed with 65% barley and 35% raw wheat, with 5 grams per liter of three year old hops. This is a blend of one, two and three year old lambics that spent upwards of a year at the brewery to fully carbonate. It pours a beautiful, chill-hazed golden orange, with a thin white cap that leaves little lacing - very inviting. Cleaner that I was expecting in the nose, with a little funkiness, oak, cork and an earthy character. Pretty crazy sour on the palate, with oak, cork and a strong acidic note. Little musty as well, with mild malts, cherry pits?, sharp lemon, and a bit of bitterness, oddly enough. It has a light and tingly, very dry body, with teeth-peeling sourness that attacks the back of the throat. Despite the wildly sour character of this beer, it is imminently drinkable and very refreshing. Fans of gueuze need to seek out this beer. (903 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

From a 12.7oz bottle from Whole Foods.

Pours slightly hazy golden color with a very small hint of orange, decent head but kinda fizzy and fades fast.

Smell has a good amount of funk, not overwhelming but more than enough to know it'll have some kick.

Taste is sharp and acidic, hints of vinegar, real nice funk, carbonation dances on the tongue, the funk really hits the sides of the tongue.

This is probably the gueuze all gueuze's should be judged on, always a classic and having it readily available doesn't hurt either. (527 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this in the bottle at St. James.

The appearance is a golden straw color with an oily body. It pours with a one finger white head that doesn't really stay for very long. It does have some oily legs that just slather the sides of the glass.

The smell is a bit faint for my liking but there is musk and sour stale smells. Some lemony citrus notes are present as well.

This was delicious! It is sour and tart in the right places and is a total joy to drink. It has some tart lemon going on in the beginning. There are lactose cheese tastes in the middle that make it very interesting. Sour, tart, and juicy! Delicious.

The mouthfeel can be explained as palate wrecker! The oily nature of the brew just coats the mouth and the tart sour flavors destroy the palate. I loved this brew so much I went back the next day and bought another to enjoy. It has all of those sour tastes that I love, lemon, grass, barnyard funk, saliva gland gusher. Love it.
(958 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3%

~ Purchased this 12.7 oz bottle from Big Z Beverage in Huntington, NY.

Appearance: Hazy yellow with hints of orange. A small white head is present, but it immediately fizzles away.

Smell: Endless amounts of barnyard and farmhouse funk!

Taste: The taste from this beer is unforgettable. Cantillon brings an abundance of sour and funk to your palate like no other brewery can.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and surprisingly smooth. The finish is dry which makes you want to have another sip right away.

Drinkability: Very good.

Overall, it doesn't get much better than this. World-class! ~ (594 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured half of a 12 oz. bottle into a wine glass. I got a little tripped up by the "do not serve cold" warning on the back of the bottle, so I probably drank it a bit warmer than ideal, but it wasn't a travesty. The cork was really crumbly which was disconcerting, but based on reviews that seems to be the norm. Luckily I kept all the cork bits out of the bottle. It pours a cloudy golden orange with a perfectly white head.

It smells a lot like champagne, very sour and fruity. I'm also getting scents of wet wood--a bit of a dank smell. There's also a hint of sulphur in this. It's not repellent at all, but I would guess it must be coming from the intensity of the sour smell.

WOW. Captain Obvious says: this is sour. I'm feeling the sour in my mouth again just typing this up and I'm not drinking it anymore. Very, very tart, with a definite taste of lemon and green apples. You really feel it in your jowls, but the once the sourness is gone you're just left with the intensity and some spice on the front of your tongue. This is kind of funny, but I get a faint blood aftertaste. What does that indicate? Iron? Maybe my mouth is just bleeding because it's so sour (in a good way).

It's very carbonated and covers your whole mouth. Obviously the sourness gets the mucous flowing, and the only way to combat that is to drink more! The likeness to champagne is very obvious here, though I'd more liken it to champagne's evil twin.

This is a total sipper, obviously. I could spend a whole night with just one bottle. But if you like sour, it's perfect. I'll certainly be drinking this again--I'm positive that there will be many days when I wake up craving that sour flavor. Excellent choice for my first gueuze! (1,719 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3.7%

75cL bottle poured into a fluted pint glass

Bottled October 3rd 2008

It pours a golden straw color with a thin head the surprisingly stays present throughout the whole glass. Tiny tiny champagne like bubbles are constantly rising to the surface making for a highly effervescent drink.

The nose is just acidity all the way. It's like a kind of sour tart lemon smell without as much lemon aromatics. There are hints of vinegar character behind that.

The taste starts off with a mouth puckering tartness that my novice sour palette has not experienced before. Followed by some dry leathery taste and some citrus sourness. the middle is this obvious brett taste that impossible dries out my mouth mid sip. It ends with another smack of tartness and a backbone of sweetness that lingers for a while. The sour/sweet combo at the end really was a nice finish.

The carbonation is really high. I haven't tried more than a handful of real lambic style beers and this is only my third gueuze so I don't have a good sample size whether I prefer a high or low carbonation on these styles of beers. I'm leaning towards that I prefer low carbonation because I tend to keep each sip in my mouth longer in order to fully taste and appreciate the flavors. In a highly carbonated example like this the carbonation gets too distracting. Despite of that and how sour it is I still found it of above average drinkability and my mouth wasn't permanently puckered and weeping after the whole bottle. (1,480 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I can not tell what the bottling date is. I think it says 2008, but not sure because the cork fell apart as soon as I opened it?

A: Pours a semi hazy golden/orange color. A white head rises to about two finger, but recedes quickly. Light lace.
S: The nose is great. Funky barnyard aromas and yeast. A vanilla sweetness and oak aroma. Floral and herbal like. White wine and grape tannins. Slight sour and acidic.
T: The sourness hits you right up front, and takes over a little to much. Acidic and vinegary. Some grape tannins. Not nearly as many subtleties that was in the nose.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Pleasantly dry, crisp, and clean. The sourness takes its toll, but I really enjoy sipping on this.

This is classic Cantillon. Really good. I would have like a little more subtle flavors, but it is everything anybody would want from the brewery. Recommended. (874 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Split this bottle with my homie Jeff the other night. Didn't realize it was a 2006 (no date on the label) until I popped the cap and started pulling the cork out. The cap was rusty, but the cork came out in one piece although it had some cracks in it.

Pours a semi-murky golden-ish amber color, some bubbles struggle to form a really sturdy head, but initial pours succeed more than subsequent glasses. A ring of bubbles lasts.

Oh yes, smells awesome. Great, rich funkiness. Gym clothes you left in your friend's locker by mistake. Juicy lemon and sweaty balls. This is great, I need to buy more bottles of this vintage. Really developed and just an extremely intrinsic experience. The taste is just as dirty and tannic as the aroma would have indicated, nice lemony tart bite with some apricot leading to a finish drier than a grandmother's vag. Very complex.

The low-medium carbonation increases the mustiness and dirty feeling felt on your tongue through the finish and aftertaste. This is such an enjoyable and satisfying beer to drink, but it's by no means a session beer and a 750mL bottle is ideally split at least 3 ways. I look forward to getting more bottles for my cellar. An excellent concoction. (1,213 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to Joe for splitting a bottle. 2006 marked on the cork. This is my first gueuze. I might be hooked.

The beer pours from a 750ml rusty capped and corked bottle into a stemmed glass. The color is a golden yelllow and its completley hazy. Head is minimal, and has large bubbles clinging to the side.

I can't stop smelling this beer. It has some "dirty" aromas of carpet, wet basement, insulation, and a general, naturul funk to it. It also has a nice, lemony citrus smell to it that livens it up.

Slightly salty and minerally. Like very sour pixie sticks. Minerals and sweat flavors are found in the finish as well as mouth coating, puckering tannic feeling. Complex, natural, and funky with lemon undertones. Body has moderate impact and is only lightly bubbled.

This was a very interesting beer. It's refreshing, but the intense flavors command small sips. I'd love to have more of this. (898 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a wine glass from a 12.7 oz bottle.

A: Rich golden in color with a vigorous white head that settles very quickly. Fine champagne-like bubbles rise quickly from the bottom of the glass.

S: Aromas conist mainly of citrus, white grape, sour apple, and some cider vinegar, along with some barnyardy funk in the backround.

T: Flavors are reminiscent of sour green apple, with some citrus and vinegar, with the funkiness of the Brett only slightly hanging out in the beer's finish.

M: light to medium bodied, with a finish that seems to last forever on the palate.

D: While not a session brew, this sour brew is very refreshing, and would be great to enjoy outside on a 90+ degree Summer day. A very solid example of this style. Probably my personal favorite. (771 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottled 10-3-08 and consumed on 1-31-10

I'm not sure what can be said about this beer that hasn't been said before. Wonderful taste and aroma; it's wild and funky, leathery, bitter lemon, and horseblanket. A perfect balance of acidity, it's refreshing and dry, though not as dry as some of their others. This could be perfect with some more age on it.

I love this beer, it's not Iris good though, Hannaford. (409 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Feb 2008 vintage. Poured into a Chouffe goblet. Orange color is cloudy but bright, almost shiny. Small but dense head. Looks sticky when swirled.

S - pale hops, sour apple, earthy straw. Distinctly woody, but much lighter than other aged beers: wet pine might be a good place to start describing. Certainly none of the oak or bourbon aromas you sometimes get. And let's not forget the yeast! Plenty of funky brett if you sniff for it. The predominant smell is sourness though, not funk.

T - Nicely sour from start to finish, without diminishing the complexity of the aromas one bit. I wouldn't call it crisp in the sense that ciders can be, but it certainly doesn't make you pucker either, as some earlier reviews have claimed. I will admit that there's more of a straight-up vinegar flavor present now, vs the more fruity & floral sourness of the smell, but it's not overpowering.

M - pretty light body, moderate fizz (doesn't last long though, especially at the ideal serving temps), finishes dry

D - very easy thanks to the ABV. Assuming you like sour beers, I suppose! (1,080 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Popping the cap and pulling the cork revealed that this bottle is from 2006. The cork is literally stained with a bluish/purple color.

Pours a cloudy light orange/yellowish color with a minimal amount of white film across the top of the beer that is the only thing minorly resembling a head. At nearly 4 years old, I am not complaining. Aroma is immediately identified as citrus mixed with sour and tartness with a bold amount of alcohol and a finish that is somewhat vinegar like. Taste is puckeringly sour, tart and slightly vinegarish in the finish. Light to medium body with a carb level that is seemingly stagnent unitl the glass is swirled and then it comes out of solution. This beer has a warming finish that is for the most part hidden under the sourness and tart tastes. Lingering taste of something both funky but also grassy. The sourness lingers for awhile and the oak plays a very subtle part of the background.

Honestly, this was a gueuze that I could see kickstarting an addiction for sour beers. Up until this point I have tried a few beers that were sour but this one really gave me some wow factor, I am loving it. (1,135 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a bright golden, tree sap amber color with a champagne like head that has amazing retention. Tons of visible carbonation and very little lacing.

The smell is full of earthy funk. Sparkling apple juice along with cider like notes. Lemon, apple and apricot and many other blended fruity odors emanate from my glass.

The taste starts off with an astringent acidity that reminds me of partially fermented grape juice. Bing cherries, some very mild sweetness and champagne vinegar round out the flavor profile here.

Mouthfeel is not as dry as I imagined it would be, champagne-esque carbonation and very light on the tongue.

Overall this is a very enjoyable Gueuze. No complaints and no real mouth pounding acidity. Wonderful. (732 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -6%

Had this over the weekend. 12.7oz bottle poured into a DFH snifter. Cork indicates this was bottled in 2009

A: Pours a light golden color with a 1 finger white head. The head doesn't stick around for too long though. Lots of visible carbonation

S: A musty, yeast smell hits the nose first. Seems ciderlike. There is also some nice sour fruit (apple/cherry), lemon and a hint of vinegar

T: Lemony, citrus fruit. Somewhat tart on the palate. The apple/cherry sourness is also present

M: Light bodied. Dry, crisp finish. Again, somewhat tart, but not too bad at all

D: After the initial tartness dies down, the becomes very easy to drink. This seems like a complex beer that would age well. Will definitely drink again (720 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

12.7 oz bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip. Cellar and serve at 50-55 degrees F. Cork says, "Bottled in 2.008"

A - The Classic Gueuze pours a lightly hazy golden yellow with a low, slightly off-white head. Low retention is discouraging but a little bit of lace is left over. Very effervescent.

S - While the aroma isn't entirely sour, it is very acidic. Lots of wet wood and a massive funk to it. The smell an be both incredible and disgusting. It's something to behold.

T - The flavor is an intense blast of very acidic and sour funkiness. A bit of horse blanket melds well with the wet wood. The aftertaste isn't as strong as I expected but leaves a very funky lingering acidity in the back of the throat.

M - The carbonation level is almost sparkling like champagne followed quickly by a strong acid bite and sour finish. Medium-bodied.

D - I'm going to cork the rest of the bottle to share with a friend in a bit. It's funky and good, but one glass will do. Unlike any other beer out there. (1,000 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this one on tap at Track 84 in Warwick RI
A - Hazy golden yellow. Nice bone white head that stays. Nice lacing.
S - Big nose of sour cherries, sour green apples..slight vinegar. Actually smells smooth.
T - Tart and sour up front then mellows to lingering sour cherry flavor. A little vinegar on the mouth afterward.
M/F - Light/medium body. Nicely carbonated. Very lively but creamy and smooth.
D - Smoothest and most elegant gueuze that I've had. Really something special on tap. (488 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -0.5%

Enjoyed this bottle after the ball dropped, as my first beer of 2010. Figured I would start off the year on a good foot.

2009 cork date. I wish I could have cellared this longer, but I coulnd't bring myself to drink the 2007 I have in the cellar just yet.

Cork pulled out with relative ease. Pours a light hazy golden color with a thin fizzy head that quickly fades and doesn't leave much lacing.

The aroma is sour, sour and more sour. Brett qualities shine through at times, but it's mostly about the sourness and vinous nature of the lambic bases.

The taste is very sour as well, with an extremely dry finish. Vinous qualities come out again, as well as some woody characters, can't tell if they are from barrels or the Brett or both. Very dry finish.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, with a fine carbonation that seems very appropriate for this brew. Drinkability is great, I wish I had some food to sample alongside that could stand up to this.

Overall, an excellent Gueuze, no doubt. I can definitely tell this is a young Gueuze, and I can easily see that this will only get better with age, gaining complexity. I can't wait to try my older bottle a couple years down the road. (1,185 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

A - Pours with a small head of white foam that dissipates quickly and leaves only weak lace. The body is a hazy, yellow-orange color.

S - Aromas of tart cherries and wheat with musty funk and a little bit of goat aroma. Light, bready malt and some sulphur in the background.

T - Lemony sourness with some orange character. More dry cherry in the middle with light funk and puckering lactic sourness. Finishes with bready malt and vanilla as well as sharp acidity.

M - Medium body, very high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - This is a very tart and refreshing gueuze, and while it is not as complex as some of Cantillon's other offerings, it is very drinkable. The fruit character is probably the most outstanding feature, characterized by a nice candied orange note in the flavor. The wild character is kind of lacking in complexity and somewhat one-dimensional, but there is a good level of sourness that makes for a very refreshing beer. (945 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +3.5%

This one was bottled in 2008.

A: Poured a cloudy, golden color with a champagne-like fizz and quickly fading head.

S: Musty and bleu cheese with fruity overtones. So intriguing I had to inhale deeply with every sip.

T: Very tart with notes of fruity esters and oak.

M: Thin and champagne-like. Spritzy.

D: Very drinkable considering it's a lambic, though I'm glad I had friends to share the bottle with. (408 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +7.6%

1996 bottle opened by seaoflament on 11/24/2009 in a snifter. This has an old Cantillon label that I've never before seen. Thanks for bringing this rare treat, Carlos. It was amusing and tragic to watch the cork fall apart while Joey attempted to uncork this. The beer appears hazy dark orange with a creamy, fizzy head.

The aroma opens with lemon, orange, and strong dry woody notes. There's a moderate tannic quality with a low sweetness and a horsey, goaty, dirty funk. Notes of wet horse blanket, musty barnyard, and blue cheese are evident with a moderate lactic character.

The flavor opens with succulent tart lemon with a whisper of orange. The beer seems to suck the moisture out of my mouth with its tannins, and then quench my thirst with tart citrus. The beer is extremely woody and it has a nice high level of funk. The beer has a moderate lactic quality. The Brett imparts horsey, goaty, cheesy, musty, and wet barnyard blanket notes. The citric acidity is high and there's a low level of acetic character. The beer seems to rip the enamel off my teeth with its acidity. The finish is dry, woody, tannic, and tart with lingering lemon. An aged Gueuze is an amazing experience. What could possibly be better? (1,223 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Poured from the bottle with virtually no head, but just enough foam to produce some edge lacing. The body was a very hazy straw yellow color, with no visible carbonation.

S- Smells strongly sour and phenolic, with lesser aromas of vinous fruit, oak and must.

T- Smooth acetic sourness blends with lemony vinous notes and some mild "band-aid" phenolic notes. No astringency and nothing overacidic here... just smooth and soft sourness that lasts throughout the finish.

M- Relatively thin body with some soft carbonation. Very highly attenuated. While this lack of performance in the mouthfeel department keeps the beer from lingering on the palate, it is not far from other geueze's... and therefore gets an average mark for mouthfeel.

D- A very drinkable gueuze. I can drink this stuff all night and wouldn't anticipate the sourness to become too overpowering. (867 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from the 12.7 oz bottle green bottle with a yellow label showing the black silhouette of a drinking man falling back in his chair with a rapturous look on his face! The label says Classic Gueuze at the bottom, which made me think to put this under the Organic Classic Gueze but after looking through some of the reviews, I think it belongs here.

Removed the cap with no fanfare. Corkscrewed the cork with a nice pop. Cork labeled bottled in 2008. Poured into a Weyerbacher tulip with a quickly dissipating one finger width head of 7-up genre. As soon as the head was gone, all was still in the glass of semi clear golden liquid. Now that I look closer a few stray bubbles make their way to the top here and there. A swirl of the glass gives a quick glimpse of what was

Smell is a nice medium strength acetic but with a lovely sweet undertone or periphery. I get a nice waft of baked tart green apples with a hint of cinnamon. A funky barnyard point in the smell nails you right between the eyes. Belgian candy is also apparent. Some floral nature as well. Wow, this thing is complex. Maybe some sour cherry notes.

Taste is tartly refreshing. The opening shows some dainty sweetness but serious tartness takes over in the middle and beats you senseless in the finish. Major funkiness going on in the finish....Holy S__t! That finish makes the inside of each cheek touch (mouth, that is). The pucker factor is high with this one. Definitely some barnyard going on in this. Grassy, composty...but in the best way possible!! Finish is incredibly acetic and lasts in your mouth for a good 45 seconds. Man alive, that is ridiculous. I am getting some tart herbal lemon in the late finish. Tea-like almost.

Mouthfeel is fairly light with very little carbonation still active.

Drinkability is great for a gueze/lambic lover! I love it, but not everyone has to as it is pretty powerful stuff. (1,897 characters)

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic from Brasserie Cantillon