Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros

SIEVS, Mar 14, 2012

BlackHoleBrew42, Dec 24, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -70.9%

Andeezy, Feb 10, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -65%

Pours a one finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Cloudy red/amber color. Light carbonation and light-medium bodied. Nose is remarkably like vomit. Starts as sour apples becomes more sour like lemon juice, dry finish; easily the least enjoyed Belgian I have had. 750ml bottle - gift from Vintage Cellars Blacksburg, Va.

jdhilt, Jan 19, 2007

Appearance: Red; wine-cooler like; medium head; dissipates quickly

Aroma: Tart; sour; syrupy

Taste: Tart fruit; very dry finish; very sour

Remarks: Did not like this beer at all; not my thing

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

IchLiebeBier, Jun 15, 2013

rab53, Dec 01, 2011

rorgirl, May 29, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -42.2%

I've had other fraboise before, but this one didn't do much for me. It seemed to taste like very little to me, and I felt that it would have benefited from signficantly more fruit character.

The color is a cloudy brown. If you take Bud Light, throw in a handful of skittles, and wait; you'll get the same color (don't ask me how I know this, but trust me; it is not a recent experience). Not attractive. Not at all red like other framboise I've tried.

This beer smells slightly sweet, and smells a lot like champagne.

The taste is sour on the tip of my tongue, but otherwise not very flavorful. I expected more fruitiness from a framboise.

BeerBelcher, Dec 09, 2006
2.53/5  rDev -41%

Picked up this beer at my local, and very well-stocked, beer concern prior to traveling to Brussels this summer as I had planned to visit the brewery (Didn't happen. Not easy to do the beer mecca with woman and child in tow but we managed).

Anyway, poured into a tulip glass. Nice on the eyes with a reddish golden hazy pour with a head that dissipated almost immediately. The nose was very sour, as I had expected, but still way over the top.

I am glad that my first sip was a small one as the sourness completely overwhelmed any other flavor profile I could discern (this was supposed to have raspberry in it?)

It was like drinking a lemon. The beer did warm up to me the same way one feels after eating salt and vinegar potato chips for the first time. I kept going back to the glass, thinking to myself, "OK, was it *that* sour?" Yes. Yes it was. It took two hours for me to finish the bottle I could not imagine drinking this again.

This is a taste/preference thing for me. I've had some sourish ales and enjoyed them. Most everything I've had from Belgium was brilliant, but this is just too much for me.

MurphysIrish, Sep 16, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -38.7%

Bottle into a glass, purchased and consumed at the brewery in Brussels.

A: Pours a clear rose-colored body with substantial effervescence up the glass. An off-white head develops with the vigorous pour, but it vanishes quickly into a stream of bubbles on top, as expected for a lambic. No lacing.

S: Raspberry vinegar. Tart, sour, and a little bit of wild funk in there, as well.

T: Intensely mouth-puckering, sour note with a blast of raspberry tartness. I pick up some underlying horse blanket flavors, but it's predominantly a fruit lambic. Light tannins and white wine grapes near the end. Finishes intensely dry.

M: Light-bodied and crisp. As mentioned above, this is intensely dry, and I actually start feeling discomfort as we work our way through the 75cL bottle. Visions of heartburn are dancing through my head. Love the flavor, but it's really hard to get through a bottle solo.

D: My girlfriend hated this and left me to finish most of the bottle. I was pretty sick of it by the end because of the mouthfeel. It's pretty hard to drink in the bottled quantity, especially alone and without food. I don't see myself getting this again.

Arbitrator, Oct 18, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -36.4%

Appearence: Pours a deep orange with a thin, off-white ead that fizzes forever.

Smell: The smell has an almost farmhouse, woodsy type quality to it. The raspberries are suprisingly not that pronounced.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Woah! Now that's a tart ass beer! It's so sour yet bitter, and makes your mouth puckering for a week and a half. The raspberries are not the focus, but rather come out in the aftertaste. The muthfeel is thin bodied.

Drinkability and Overall: I just can't enjoy it. It's too tart. Maybe my palate's not seasoned enough, so I'm going to go back and try again in a few years, but as for now I don't like it. Too damn tart! Not my thing.

santoslhalper, Mar 03, 2005
2.73/5  rDev -36.4%

Poured a hazy strawberry koolaid color with a wispy whiteness on the surface that lasts until the beverage settles into the glass. No lacing.

The smell is that of a sweet tart berry fruit.

This drink is sour and the mouth feel is aggressively biting.

The flavor is astringent. I'm incapable of getting past a vinegar-like mindset with this one. Going to be a drain pour.

Maybe i should have followed the instructions on the label.

jjayjaye, Mar 11, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -35.9%

HopsintheSack, Jul 29, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First Cantillon and I was very excited, only to be crushed when I took off the cap.... There was moisture on top of the cork, then when I took the cork out it was crumbly on the inside and there was no seal, im assuming this is not normal and I felt there was going to be a problem....

A: Beautiful ruby red but very little carbonation... could there still be hope

S: Smells amazing, yet a little off, it is a lambic though so there may be some funk, but this is different, very acidic smell, yet full of raspberry puree, but this weird vinegarry acid funk is creeping through the raspberry

T: WOW!! Super super sour which is making my mouth pucker, I love that feeling.... but it is quickly ruined by this super cider vinegar acid overflo.... i think this bottle is bad... this was a 2007 vintage and the distributor i bought it from does not seem to properly store these high end beers...

Im going to stop here, very disappointing, but I would try a fresh one again

Paulydeets, Dec 25, 2010
2.78/5  rDev -35.2%

Pours rose in color with a fizzy head. Smells of raspberries, vinegar and funk. The taste is acidic with rasberries and finishes dry. The mouthfeel is highly carbinated and tickles the taste buds. Drinkability is average. Overall this is not one of Cantillon's best offerings.

johnd513, Oct 27, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours a hazy light-orange color with little head and lace. Aroma was acidic and sour with hints of fruit. Thin bodied with lively carbonation felt on the tounge. Tart, tart, and more tart. Sour flavor with very little raspberry present. May have not been ready for the classic lambic, for this was not what I was expecting. Tasted a bit like vinegar. Cork said 2001, so I may give it another try on a fresher sample. The sourness attacks you on the first sip but is a bit more bareable after a few. Not my lambic of choice.

Lupe, Jan 17, 2003
2.83/5  rDev -34%

The beer is red, like a hard candy. Not tinted red, or able to catch red in the light, but pure red. Sadly, the taste is a little like candy, too, coyingly sweet. It got harder and harder to drink it. It isn't very complex by the standards of lambics, and the tastes that do come through fatique the pallette pretty quickly.

GnomeKing, Aug 05, 2005
2.88/5  rDev -32.9%

Bottled January 20, 2010
750ml

Into a Founders snifter, pours a reddish pink with some orange highlights. Plenty of lively carbonation. 1 finger of pink bubbles.

Plenty of Cantillon signature funk. Smells really cheesy. Lots of strong barnyard smells- horseblanket, wet hay, some leather, oak, and something that smells similar to body odor.

First thing I notice in this beer is the acidity. Plenty of lemon, sour cherry, lots of oak, leather, and salt. Not tasting any raspberry- mostly sour cherry and cranberry. The lemon and the funk seem to be taking over the flavor profile. Very sour- makes my mouth pucker and salivate. Not complex either. Finish is dry and tannic.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with a lot of carbonation. Perhaps a little too much, in my opinion.

I would have liked to taste some raspberries. I know this beer isnt fresh but I did'nt think that the fruit flavor would fade in less than a year and a half. This beer definitely destroys your palate. Leaves a lingering sour taste that does not go away. It seems it would be difficult to taste anything else after drinking this beer. I needed to drink water in between sips. It is tough to finish off a 750ml. I might drink this again if I can find a fresh bottle, but as is, way too acidic.

Dubber55, May 31, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -32.9%

Okay I've had some great lambics and to me this just isn't one of them.

Poured into a champagne flute at 55 degree (as suggested) this beer pours a rose color. The head is a fizzy mess that disapates faster than a wedding dress on a honeymoon.

The smell of this one is hard to describe. It smells somewhat like flat ginger ale and musty used socks. To me there's just nothing appetizing about what I'm smelling. I have had a little horse blanket in American wilds and in some gueuze/lambics that I've tried in the past so I won't completely slam this one.

The taste is of a tart version of a wine cooler. It really does taste like wine gone bad - aka vinegar. I think it would make a delicious bbq sauce, but a great beer it is not no matter how many people think it is. If you want the sensation of drinking this beer then make some fresh lemonade without the sugar and ice. Let the lemon juice sit for a few days then add some alka seltzer to the mix with a few drops of grenadine and you'll have the 90% solution. At best this is an average lambic.

Mouthfeel is the best part of this beer. The finish is about on track with what I think a lambic ought to be. The mouthfeel is light and crisp. You definately feel refreshed after drinking this beer.

Drinkability is hard to judge. This beer is only 5% yet it took me 2 hours to drink this 750 mL bottle. That tells me that this isn't all that drinkable. I will say that this beer tastes better as you drink more of it. I would judge the drinkability as average to slightly better than average.

PerzentRizen, Oct 07, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -32.4%

Tasted from barrel at the brewery after taking the self-guided tour. Served in wine glass.

A - Beautiful pink to red color. Very clear. Head is pink and very persistent with good lacing. I've never seen a more eye-catching, attractive beer.

S - The word that comes to mind about the aroma is "bizarre" It is tart, spicy and fruity all at once, but overall not appealing to me. There is raspberry in the nose, but it is mixed with funk and a sharp note that somehow combine to remind me of hot peppers more than sweet fruit. It's like somebody mixed fruit juice with the dregs from a jar of jalapeno peppers. Bizarre.

T - Tart and acidic up front. Some raspberry in mid-palate, then a sharp pepper-like taste at the tend that matches the aroma. Not enjoyable to me.

M - Light body. Fizzy carbonation. Finishes with an acidic, pepper-like burn at the back of the throat.

O - Strange experience. I love the dedication to the craft shown by this brewery and I really want to love all their beers, but this one was not enjoyable. I have had this bee before and this is not at all what I remember. Maybe I was given a single barrel example that will be better after blending? I know I will be called a heretic for this review, but I have to call it like I taste it.

Radome, Oct 19, 2012

Basoos1, Sep 13, 2014

Pours like cranberry juice with no head. Smell is funky sourness with a slight bit of raspberries, but not intense as in most standard fruit beers. Taste is quite tart, with light dry unsweetened raspberries. Still wanting more malt or sweetness to balance it for me. Decent, but not my speed.

JDV, Apr 06, 2008

A nice looking pour from the magnum bottle - clear amber with a semi-frothy white head.

But wow, the aroma and taste was pure old style Lambic - musty horse blanket that generated an intense sour tasting brew that almost completely covered up any hint of Raspberries. A tart, acidic finish did not bode well for a drinkable brew.

This one was definitely a one and done bottle. One of the nicer labels, though, as I had the naked lady version.

Vancer, May 06, 2008