Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

pDev: 10%
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

OK I had it already, stop pushing the picture in my face. This was real fruit. How did I know? Its -14 celcius outside the bar, 10 yards that-a-way, and there were fruit flies buzzing around my glass. Darn good for its style, and gave taste and some smoothness to the medical level cleanup of my palate.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottle shared at a tasting at MrHirschybar's place.

2010 vintage.

Pours a clear cranberry juice color with a fizzy reddish-white head that fizzles to nothing. No lace on this one. Smell is of sour berry/cherry and funky earthy aromas. Taste is of extremely sour berry/cherry and a nice set of funky earth flavors. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good lambic with lots of nice sour and funky flavors.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

2010 vintage generously shared by Matt. Served in a Stillwater wine glass.

Pours bright red with a nice pink head. There isn't too much lacing, but what is there is quite gorgeous on the side of the glass. The nose brings a strong raspberry presence along with some oak and a nice amount of lactic acid. Really nice sourness all around. The taste is the same with the tart raspberries really dominating. A slight fruity sweetness is there along with a touch of light oak. The beer is prickly and finishes well. This is a really, really nice beer and I can't believe I'd waited this long to try it.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

March 2011 Bottling.

Pours a cranberry/raspberry red, clear and bright red with a nice pink head.

Nose is assertive tart raspberry/funky fruit but crisp and inviting.

Mouthfeel is fresh, tart and citric - it's salivatingly good. Light carbonation with a super fresh character. This is a fresh bottle; not aged, and is just wonderful with it's fresh fruit character.

Flavor follows nose and mouthfeel and is just a vibrant citric/sour/funky raspberry. Crisp, lemon/sour raspberry flavor profile with super citric lemon/lime sour profile and finish, with a sour/citric raspberry undertone. This is just wonderfully fresh in my opinon, having had many that were older. Candidly, while I like aged Cantillons, I think I may like them fresh even more.

All in all delicious, and keeps improving in flavor and mouthfeel as it warms to room temperature. Hints of grapes, oranges, lemons and lime - all at their most vibrant and brightest. Nice to drink; even better with food.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

A: The beer is clear red in color and does not have any head or visible carbonation.
S: There are light aromas of sourness in the nose along with some hints of raspberries.
T: The raspberry flavors stand out in the taste and are accompanied by a light amount of sourness. No sweetness is detectable.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is very drinkable because the fruity flavors help to balance out some of the sourness.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance: Pours a pink grapefruit juice color with no head and no lacing

Smell: Sour vinegar and funky barnyard notes; a vague whiff of raspberry

Taste: Starts out with a dry raspberry flavor that bursts with sourness after the swallow and combines with the dry sweetness (if that makes any sense) into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but no carbonation (clearly something wrong with my bottle)

Drinkability: I still find it hard to really enjoy drinking lambics; this one has some nice fruit flavor but it's just not my thing

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Can Cantillon do no wrong? Can they just pee in a bottle and the beer just suddenly turns out awsome? Apparently so. Because again, this beer turns out to be among the leaders in it's style. An impressive, thin, savory pink grapefruit juice looking brew with subtle, but persistent head retention. The aromas unleash a juicy, tart scent of grapefruit, red wine, vinegar, and strong lactic acids. Mouth watering and drying at the same time. Faint flavors of pilsner malts are quickly overcome by strong, tart flavors of fruits (berries and cherries) in an almost sweetheart candy powderyness. The airy feel is followed with a sharp tartness (sourness) and a moderate astringency and bitterness. The mouthfeel is as complex as the flavor profile. Finishes with the same mouthwatering, drying, powdery, sensation that was present in the nose. The beer comes full circle on all fronts. Thanks BeakerBoy!

Bottle: Poured a medium pink color lambic with a small foamy head with average retention and good lacing. Aroma of sour raspberries’with some light oak. Taste is a mix between some fresh and lightly sweet raspberries with some tart and sourness. I thought the acidity level was far less then the regular gueuze which is probably due to the presence of raspberries. Very refreshing and well done overall.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Rose de Gambrinus is my first real lambic. I've had the fruit lambics from Brouwerij De Troch (Chapeau), Brouwerij Van Steenberge (Cherish) and Brouwerij Lindemans. As I understand it though, those aren't considered to be anywhere near the big leagues. I feel like a newbie again. The best thing to do then is to plunge right in.

Bottled in 2004. What an interesting color. The beer is a sort of peachy red near the top of the Champagne flute, orangish amber in the center and full amber near the tapering bottom. I love the layers; the beer almost looks like a pousse cafe. The whitish cap was light and fizzy, lasting a minute at most. Ultimately, there's a thin, broken film of the surface of the liquid and no lace.

The nose smells a little like raspberry cider vinegar. I'm glad the berries are present to give a hint of something familiar. If this is what high quality lambics smell like, then I'm not a huge fan. Maybe I'll get used to them in time and will even grow to like them, but I'm not there yet. I hope that last sentence doesn't apply to the flavor as well.

My first mouthful was pretty much what I expected: a big, dizzying blast of intensely sour, mouthpuckering acidity with a hint of unripe berries. While I can't say that I love it, I do like it quite a bit. I can see how lambics are an acquired taste and I can see how they aren't everyone's cup of tea. They're certainly going to take some getting used to.

I wish that I had some frame of reference, something to compare it to, but I'm left with pure free association. Unripe raspberries, Sauvignon Blanc, balsamic vinaigrette, wood. That's all the free association I can muster, you'll have to pay for the rest. Only kidding. I'm far from well versed enough in beer of this style to make a serious attempt at breaking Rose down with any sort of skill.

Ditto the mouthfeel. It's light and crisp, which is probably exactly what it's supposed to be. I like the fact that the beer isn't overly fizzy, like Champagne. There's enough going on in the mouth that I don't need crazy-ass bubbles firing all over the damn place. Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere for a professional description of the mouthfeel. At least now I have one in the 'lambic bank' as a means of comparison.

I'm glad that I didn't spend a pile of cash on the big bottle of Rose de Gambrinus. I like it just fine and feel like it was a good choice to get me started, but I wouldn't have wanted to drink 750 ml of it in one sitting. This is a style that I'm going to have to sneak up on. I look forward to a rewarding journey.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A vintage 2007 bottle I purchased this bottle with a lot of the other Cantillon line the last time I was up in Asheville. I have really been getting into a groove with these sours and wanted to continue it on to see where it could go. I was most excited to try this one, as I love raspberries and wanted to see how it would compare to the likes of red poppy and others I have had that have been similar with the fruit. Served into a Rodenbach chalice, I let this one warm up a touch before indulging.

Appearance - The pour was nice, with a rich reddish and pink toned liquid that came into the glass in front of me. Nice haziness to it and a very bright overall color. Lots of carbonation could be seen streaming up from the bottom of the glass throughout the session. There was a quick splash of a one inch high head of white lace, which quickly settled back down and left behind nothing more then the raspberry color liquid in front of me. No side glass lace to speak of either.

Smell - The aroma was rich, and very tart. At first it was hard to get past the sour to find the sweet fruit notes that were lying underneath, however once it warmed a bit, the funkiness settled down quite a bit and some rather nice tones of fruit started to come through. Nice touch of raspberries and cherries, with that unmistakable tartness really starting to show through on this one now. Nice touches of Brett really showing up as well, one of the more tart Lambics I have smelled, almost a Geuze.

Taste - The flavor was wonderful. The first notes to hit were a lip puckering bitterness. Really very deep with this. Lots of funky Brett sightings in here, need to lets this one warm up to really appreciate it. So. after a few minutes another sip..ahh that's what were looking for. Rich Raspberry taste wraps around the tongue and then puckers the cheeks with the tartness. Very nicely done. Some subtle apple, maybe pear like flavors dancing around in the back now as well, before really drying out for the finish, leaving a long lasting taste of fruit in the mount, begging you for another sip.

Mouthfeel - Very nice light to medium bodied Lambics with a good little bit of carbonation added into it. Gave you that prickly feeling on the tongue as it went by, never even a thought of this one being watered down or light. Nice smooth yet crisp and refreshing feeling across the tongue.

Drinkability - Seriously, I can put these down all night. The sour and tartness of them just makes it all that much more appealing to me to be honest, I can not get over how good some of these can be, and with little to no alcohol too...

Overall I thought this was excellent, a very good interpretation of the style, and easily another winner from Cantillon. I would love to get another bottle of this anytime I see it. I just thought it was simply wonderful.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

A: The pour is a clear dark pink color with a minimal head with a light pink tint.

S: Plenty of raspberries with a slight acetic note to the nose. Lots of lactic acidity as well, along with a less funky aroma than most other Cantillon beers.

T: Lots of berry flavor with some tannic seed and skin contribution. A delicate balance between the acetic and lactic acids with the edge going to the vinegar. Plenty tart and only mildly musty and funky.

M: A low to moderate carbonation with a very sharp and aggressive sourness. The finish is dry and puckering.

D: Not my favorite Cantillon beer, but I blame that on the raspberries. Still, one of the classics.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

This one poured out as a reddish pink color with a thin white head on it. The smell was acidic and semi sweet. The taste was tart, very tart actually. The mouthfeel was like a carbonated raspberry wine. It's was light bodied and drinkable for sure but I just found it too sour for me.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%