Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 713 | Hads: 2,110
3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

OK I had it already, stop pushing the picture in my face. This was real fruit. How did I know? Its -14 celcius outside the bar, 10 yards that-a-way, and there were fruit flies buzzing around my glass. Darn good for its style, and gave taste and some smoothness to the medical level cleanup of my palate.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle shared at a tasting at MrHirschybar's place.

2010 vintage.

Pours a clear cranberry juice color with a fizzy reddish-white head that fizzles to nothing. No lace on this one. Smell is of sour berry/cherry and funky earthy aromas. Taste is of extremely sour berry/cherry and a nice set of funky earth flavors. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good lambic with lots of nice sour and funky flavors.

4.51/5  rDev +7.1%

March 2011 Bottling.

Pours a cranberry/raspberry red, clear and bright red with a nice pink head.

Nose is assertive tart raspberry/funky fruit but crisp and inviting.

Mouthfeel is fresh, tart and citric - it's salivatingly good. Light carbonation with a super fresh character. This is a fresh bottle; not aged, and is just wonderful with it's fresh fruit character.

Flavor follows nose and mouthfeel and is just a vibrant citric/sour/funky raspberry. Crisp, lemon/sour raspberry flavor profile with super citric lemon/lime sour profile and finish, with a sour/citric raspberry undertone. This is just wonderfully fresh in my opinon, having had many that were older. Candidly, while I like aged Cantillons, I think I may like them fresh even more.

All in all delicious, and keeps improving in flavor and mouthfeel as it warms to room temperature. Hints of grapes, oranges, lemons and lime - all at their most vibrant and brightest. Nice to drink; even better with food.

4.07/5  rDev -3.3%

A: The beer is clear red in color and does not have any head or visible carbonation.
S: There are light aromas of sourness in the nose along with some hints of raspberries.
T: The raspberry flavors stand out in the taste and are accompanied by a light amount of sourness. No sweetness is detectable.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is very drinkable because the fruity flavors help to balance out some of the sourness.

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

on tap at hops and pie this morning. before i get to the beer, i should should shout out those folks for not only having this stuff, but putting on one of the smoothest rare beer tappings i have been a part of. i mean, small line, minimal attitude, not loud or pushy, not stupid expensive, just downright a damn good time in one of north denvers better beer establishments. the beer itself is always hard pressed to meet its hype, and while others from cantillon have met and exceeded it for me, this one did not. its epic beer, one of a kind, totally world class, through and through, but its not perfect.neon pale red, if such terms can coexist and not negate one another. not much head on a very fresh pour, if there was one, it didnt last even a minute, but wow is this color radiant! is smells fruity, but to me not specifically like raspberries. i get tartness before the fruit, certainly the fruit identification, but less of the heavy farmy weirdness like i got from lou pepe kriek. the fruit is dominant in the flavor, but its still a lambic first, which is what makes these beers great. bright fruit expressions with a touch of sugar, and yeasty tartness collide mid palate for me in a firework of intensity thats still soft around the edges, then i swallow and its dry, then my mouth flushes back again with all the beautiful layers. great carbonation, but there is a heaviness that hangs over this, maybe its sugar, maybe its the film on my palate, im not complaining of course, but its less refined than some of their others. i may get crucified for saying this, but atrial rubicite from jester king is the absolute champion of raspberry sours, bar none. i have not had the lou pepe framboise, which may be next level, but i as much as i loved both the beer and the experience this morning, it is no atrial rubicite.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

2010 vintage generously shared by Matt. Served in a Stillwater wine glass.

Pours bright red with a nice pink head. There isn't too much lacing, but what is there is quite gorgeous on the side of the glass. The nose brings a strong raspberry presence along with some oak and a nice amount of lactic acid. Really nice sourness all around. The taste is the same with the tart raspberries really dominating. A slight fruity sweetness is there along with a touch of light oak. The beer is prickly and finishes well. This is a really, really nice beer and I can't believe I'd waited this long to try it.

3.47/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance: Pours a pink grapefruit juice color with no head and no lacing

Smell: Sour vinegar and funky barnyard notes; a vague whiff of raspberry

Taste: Starts out with a dry raspberry flavor that bursts with sourness after the swallow and combines with the dry sweetness (if that makes any sense) into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but no carbonation (clearly something wrong with my bottle)

Drinkability: I still find it hard to really enjoy drinking lambics; this one has some nice fruit flavor but it's just not my thing

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

This one poured out as a reddish pink color with a thin white head on it. The smell was acidic and semi sweet. The taste was tart, very tart actually. The mouthfeel was like a carbonated raspberry wine. It's was light bodied and drinkable for sure but I just found it too sour for me.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Can Cantillon do no wrong? Can they just pee in a bottle and the beer just suddenly turns out awsome? Apparently so. Because again, this beer turns out to be among the leaders in it's style. An impressive, thin, savory pink grapefruit juice looking brew with subtle, but persistent head retention. The aromas unleash a juicy, tart scent of grapefruit, red wine, vinegar, and strong lactic acids. Mouth watering and drying at the same time. Faint flavors of pilsner malts are quickly overcome by strong, tart flavors of fruits (berries and cherries) in an almost sweetheart candy powderyness. The airy feel is followed with a sharp tartness (sourness) and a moderate astringency and bitterness. The mouthfeel is as complex as the flavor profile. Finishes with the same mouthwatering, drying, powdery, sensation that was present in the nose. The beer comes full circle on all fronts. Thanks BeakerBoy!

Bottle: Poured a medium pink color lambic with a small foamy head with average retention and good lacing. Aroma of sour raspberries’with some light oak. Taste is a mix between some fresh and lightly sweet raspberries with some tart and sourness. I thought the acidity level was far less then the regular gueuze which is probably due to the presence of raspberries. Very refreshing and well done overall.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

This batch was bottled December 2009. 375ml bottle.

It sits in the glass a clear raspberry red, topped by half an inch of pink-tinted head which retains well.

An aroma of unbridled funk greets the nostrils immediately upon uncorking the bottle, but it transforms into juicy tart raspberries once poured into the glass. It has all the depth of a piece of whole fruit; skin, flesh and seeds. Agitation creates a medley of fruit, funk and musty oak barrel.

The taste is intense but nuanced, tart raspberries at the forefront, sharp lactic acidity right behind and then layers of oak and vanilla. It's light and refreshing, juicy but bone dry, complex and infinitely sippable.

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

750ml, capped and corked, Feb 18, 2008 bottling, at Beer Bistro in DT T-dot. Hmmmm...I must have a bottle direct from Belgium - the label has a fully naked rendering of a woman, spooning the seated man, whilst holding a wine-goblet type vessel. The pic on this page must be from the puritan US version.

This beer pours a hazy, medium orange brick amber colour, with a voluminous tower of fizzy, noisy, and puffy dirty white head, which settles to a single finger's breadth soon enough, rendering a few specks of sudsy lace around the glass.

It smells of sour, mildly earthy yeast, citric acid, dried raspberries, a bit of soft barnyard funk, musty white cheese, an underlying gritty pale malt, and some decomposing hay bale straw. The taste is rather tartly sour, ramped-up fruit acids, as if this particular quality was simply distilled out of the raspberries - the expected balancing fruit sweetness pretty well absent, with some sidling funky yeast. There is some further fruitiness, but it leans more toward a middling lemon essence than anything raspberry. Among all this reduction is a decent, pretty much innocuous grainy malt base, which does the very least to keep this from being a totally one-sided affair.

The carbonation is obscured at first by the overbearing tartness, but eventually appears as a sharp, cutting, and yet hollow frothiness, the body a fleshy medium-light weight, but a tad thin, and not really what one might hold up as the paragon of smoothness. It finishes dry, dry, dry, with a slowly diminishing level of sour fruitiness.

Whew! This is quite the eye and palate opener (even my hips seem looser after this - I must inform my yogi girlfriend, post-haste!), like having those sour tart candies for the first time as a kid. That said, I liked it, but it could have used just a wee bit more sweetness to offset the main event here. It did, however, go well enough, natch, with some Belgian-style frites.

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Seldom seen around these parts, I fondly remember picking this up years ago off the shelf and introducing friends to what traditional lambics could be.

375ml split into two goblets.

Deep rosy reddish orange color, slightly murky (likely due to handling). Thin layer of foam with pinkish white hue, it maintains a thin ring at the edge.

Farmy wet pasture aroma, leafy fresh raspberries, oaky sandalwood, authentic and fruity at the same time.

Spritzy and moderately tart, sour raspberry with a dry finish. Seedy and pulpy raspberries, wild sour ones, not at all sweet. Puckering though not extremely sour in the scheme of all things Cantillon. A nice aperitif to be sure, first time I had this it seemed more sour years ago... Chalk it up to a threshold shift in sour tolerance I guess, though batch variation is a possibility too. A classic framboise.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Rose de Gambrinus is my first real lambic. I've had the fruit lambics from Brouwerij De Troch (Chapeau), Brouwerij Van Steenberge (Cherish) and Brouwerij Lindemans. As I understand it though, those aren't considered to be anywhere near the big leagues. I feel like a newbie again. The best thing to do then is to plunge right in.

Bottled in 2004. What an interesting color. The beer is a sort of peachy red near the top of the Champagne flute, orangish amber in the center and full amber near the tapering bottom. I love the layers; the beer almost looks like a pousse cafe. The whitish cap was light and fizzy, lasting a minute at most. Ultimately, there's a thin, broken film of the surface of the liquid and no lace.

The nose smells a little like raspberry cider vinegar. I'm glad the berries are present to give a hint of something familiar. If this is what high quality lambics smell like, then I'm not a huge fan. Maybe I'll get used to them in time and will even grow to like them, but I'm not there yet. I hope that last sentence doesn't apply to the flavor as well.

My first mouthful was pretty much what I expected: a big, dizzying blast of intensely sour, mouthpuckering acidity with a hint of unripe berries. While I can't say that I love it, I do like it quite a bit. I can see how lambics are an acquired taste and I can see how they aren't everyone's cup of tea. They're certainly going to take some getting used to.

I wish that I had some frame of reference, something to compare it to, but I'm left with pure free association. Unripe raspberries, Sauvignon Blanc, balsamic vinaigrette, wood. That's all the free association I can muster, you'll have to pay for the rest. Only kidding. I'm far from well versed enough in beer of this style to make a serious attempt at breaking Rose down with any sort of skill.

Ditto the mouthfeel. It's light and crisp, which is probably exactly what it's supposed to be. I like the fact that the beer isn't overly fizzy, like Champagne. There's enough going on in the mouth that I don't need crazy-ass bubbles firing all over the damn place. Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere for a professional description of the mouthfeel. At least now I have one in the 'lambic bank' as a means of comparison.

I'm glad that I didn't spend a pile of cash on the big bottle of Rose de Gambrinus. I like it just fine and feel like it was a good choice to get me started, but I wouldn't have wanted to drink 750 ml of it in one sitting. This is a style that I'm going to have to sneak up on. I look forward to a rewarding journey.

3.39/5  rDev -19.5%

Ok Iam still trying with all my might to aquire the taste for lambic beer in general and drinking a few here in there.this one pours a great blood orange with a great looking pink colored head,aromas of iron and hay along with sour raspberry,really strong.Taste is very sour up front with an iron-like finish that becomes more noticable as you drink more.A very odd taste as well almost like the smell of my uncles barn hits my taste buds.Not a fan but a beer that is true to form and should be respected.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

A vintage 2007 bottle I purchased this bottle with a lot of the other Cantillon line the last time I was up in Asheville. I have really been getting into a groove with these sours and wanted to continue it on to see where it could go. I was most excited to try this one, as I love raspberries and wanted to see how it would compare to the likes of red poppy and others I have had that have been similar with the fruit. Served into a Rodenbach chalice, I let this one warm up a touch before indulging.

Appearance - The pour was nice, with a rich reddish and pink toned liquid that came into the glass in front of me. Nice haziness to it and a very bright overall color. Lots of carbonation could be seen streaming up from the bottom of the glass throughout the session. There was a quick splash of a one inch high head of white lace, which quickly settled back down and left behind nothing more then the raspberry color liquid in front of me. No side glass lace to speak of either.

Smell - The aroma was rich, and very tart. At first it was hard to get past the sour to find the sweet fruit notes that were lying underneath, however once it warmed a bit, the funkiness settled down quite a bit and some rather nice tones of fruit started to come through. Nice touch of raspberries and cherries, with that unmistakable tartness really starting to show through on this one now. Nice touches of Brett really showing up as well, one of the more tart Lambics I have smelled, almost a Geuze.

Taste - The flavor was wonderful. The first notes to hit were a lip puckering bitterness. Really very deep with this. Lots of funky Brett sightings in here, need to lets this one warm up to really appreciate it. So. after a few minutes another sip..ahh that's what were looking for. Rich Raspberry taste wraps around the tongue and then puckers the cheeks with the tartness. Very nicely done. Some subtle apple, maybe pear like flavors dancing around in the back now as well, before really drying out for the finish, leaving a long lasting taste of fruit in the mount, begging you for another sip.

Mouthfeel - Very nice light to medium bodied Lambics with a good little bit of carbonation added into it. Gave you that prickly feeling on the tongue as it went by, never even a thought of this one being watered down or light. Nice smooth yet crisp and refreshing feeling across the tongue.

Drinkability - Seriously, I can put these down all night. The sour and tartness of them just makes it all that much more appealing to me to be honest, I can not get over how good some of these can be, and with little to no alcohol too...

Overall I thought this was excellent, a very good interpretation of the style, and easily another winner from Cantillon. I would love to get another bottle of this anytime I see it. I just thought it was simply wonderful.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

A: The pour is a clear dark pink color with a minimal head with a light pink tint.

S: Plenty of raspberries with a slight acetic note to the nose. Lots of lactic acidity as well, along with a less funky aroma than most other Cantillon beers.

T: Lots of berry flavor with some tannic seed and skin contribution. A delicate balance between the acetic and lactic acids with the edge going to the vinegar. Plenty tart and only mildly musty and funky.

M: A low to moderate carbonation with a very sharp and aggressive sourness. The finish is dry and puckering.

D: Not my favorite Cantillon beer, but I blame that on the raspberries. Still, one of the classics.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Blush-like pinkish red. "Rose" is correct. Reminiscent of the Hi-C 'Tropical Punch' juices I had as a kid in elementary school. A few bubbles standing guard around the edge of the glass, but no real head to speak of.

Smell: OMG! Such an acrid, stinging odor. A caustic tartness is easily perceived. Barnyard stable funk. Piercing lemon sourness fills the nose as well as the rich aroma of the noble raspberry and flowers. Very exciting!

Taste: Ah, the smell translates quite well into the taste. A biting tartness you really should be sitting down for invades the tongue, accompanied by bright, sporadic flashes of fresh raspberry fruitiness and an easy earthy mustiness.

Mouthfeel: The finish is remarkably clean after the initial punch of each sip, leaving you craving ever more. Completely refreshing with a gently sparkling effervescence.

Drinkability: Excellence that deserves to be tasted again. After a few sickly sweet Lindeman's, I was a bit uneasy about trying more from this style, but I'm very glad I did. ChainGangGuy Approved!

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

A - Two fingers of pink foam on top of a clear, bright red body. The foam settles quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Fresh raspberries with some earthy, goat funk behind it. Very strong berry seed aroma with more than just raspberry, notes of cherry and strawberry as well.

T - Puckering, fruity sourness with lots of sweet berry skin flavor balancing it out. Strong lactic acid zing with dry raspberry, cherry, and lemon notes. Finishes with more fruit and a hint of pithy bitterness, but mostly fruity acidity.

M - Medium body, high carbonation, and a bone dry finish.

D - The aroma is front and center in this beer and it really brings a lifelike scent of fresh raspberries to the nose. The flavor is also very pleasant, though it is not as convincing in the fruit department and the significant sourness is the primary feature. This brew is oddly lacking in the house funk that I have come to associate with other Cantillon beers and while there is a hint of it in the nose, there is really nothing but lactic acid in the flavor. Overall a nice fruit beer, but nowhere near as good as the Lou Pepe Framboise (even if it is cheaper and much easier to find).

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Chimay goblet. We opened this up at a tasting hosted by finewinemike.

Appearance: Pours a deep red color with a layer of white head that goes away fairly quickly.

Smell: Sweet, acidic raspberries dominate. There is a strong acidic note here too.

Taste: Tart raspberries are the theme here. The sourness isn't vinegary, and it is very nice. I would say the flavor is light which makes this really easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the thin side of medium. The best way to describe the carbonation is tingly and the finish is dry.

Overall: Another winner from Cantillon. The tart raspberry flavor is refreshing. I would definitely have another.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Served in a flared pokal.

Big thanks to Homebrew311 for sharing this bottle!

What justice: This was the last bottle of the tasting, after I was denied a bottle at the bar we went to beforehand (they were out). Nice. It pours a mostly clear russet topped by a finger of relatively short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises strawberry, raspberry, and a light bit of Brett-inspired funk. The taste brings in more of the same, along with more tart raspberry and some additional tart cherry. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a very dry, sticky finish. Overall, a highly enjoyable lambic. 'Nuff said, frankly.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

A whirlwind of tiny bubbles race to the surface through a hazy, deep amber/orange body with a pink cast. The densely foamy white head rises up above the lip of the glass, and then slowly settles back to a solid inch or more. Tartness dominates the nose with some dry, fruit following, and the hallmark gueuze characteristics right behind it (musty, sweaty, barnyard, leather, citrus). The body is light and airy with it's lively, effervescent carbonation releasing itself as it hits the tongue - foaming up in the mouth, and then fading away on a wave of drying astringency. The flavor overwhelms the palate with intense sourness, hiding its delicate raspberry and cherry flavors, and veiling it's lambic flavors. It finishes astonishingly dry with a wash of astringency that slowly receeds. It has a great depth of flavor (especially within it's tartness), yet it remains surprisingly drinkable once the palate adjusts. The raspberry and cherry add a subtle character that softens it greatly in comparison to a straight gueuze where the more abrasive lambic characteristics stand out; but it's far from fruity. Refreshing and exciting!

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Served via bottle @ Brasserie Cantillon (Brussels, Belgium) on 7/5/12. Served in a wine glass.

Pours a crystal clear rose, topped with a ½ finger of foamy pink head. This maintains some rich edges, with a robust flare-up that leaves back swathes of sticky lace. The aroma smells of raspberries, must, and earthy lemon zest. There is definitely some funk to this.

The taste is crisp and tart on the palate, with soft raspberry flavors and a sweeter sugary backing. The finish gets a little more funky and lactic feeling with notes of dry oak that stick to the tongue. The mouthfeel is lighter to medium bodied, with a lively feel in the mouth that segues into more of a firm creaminess across the back. Just a touch of tannic slickness undercuts this and adds to the overall smoothness of the feel.

What a beautiful Lambic. Tart and refreshing overall with some complimentary notes of funk and sourness and then that fresh raspberry flavor which puts this over the top. This is a well balanced and quite drinkable sour beer from Cantillion. I’d expect nothing less.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Big rosy fizzy head, lacing, and a rosy pink reddish color with a bit of haze.

N: Light cork but not much, tart funk, Belgian fruit, fresh raspberries and sour rasp, light malts, light dry funk.

T: Nice sour fruit, tart raspberries, fresh rasp, crazy dry, tons of rasp, light tart funk and yeast, raspberries, cranberry, touch of sweet like taste but still dry, bit of acidity, then explosion of fresh rasp and cranberries. FInishes a bit funky and dry, a tartness, a bit acidic, flemmy too.

M: Medium bodied, good carb.

O: Great beer! Great sour fruit, tartness, plenty of raspberry and fruit explosions, nice dry finish and a nice light wild funk. Very underrated IMO.

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%

I enjoyed this chilled at Delices et Caprices in Brussels and again at Cantillon, poured chilled in a glass.

The color is beautiful ruby like shade with light haze and pastel pink head wtih fine bead.Smell is strong berry with a mild funk of wild yeast with slight fruity/floral note with subtle raspberry sweet scent. The mouthfeel is near perfect with strong fruity tanginess with moderate sour yet gentle lemony acidity with low sweetness and moderately high carbonation with very dry yet juicy texture as it finished

The flavor is excellent with raspberry flavor fresh on entry with light acidic taste and sour candy tinge of raspbery with lots of acidic citrus in the flavor with puckering yet bright fruity flavors with mild hint of wood and a nice dry yeast flavor in the finish. Overall this is perhaps the best raspberry flavored lambic I have had-I prefer the way the taste is young rather than some aged versions I tried in the U.S. incredible with juicy dimension and more on the puckering extreme side of sourness yet the dry finish which is crisp from the intense carbonation is refreshing.

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus from Brasserie Cantillon