Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros
harrymel

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Received a sample of this fine beer whilst touring the brewery.

A: beautiful blood orange ale with excellent clarity. Single finger falls to a quilt of pretty pink velvet foam. Cobweb lacing.

S: sour raspberries, horse hair, bacterial sourness and some garden soil.

T: extra tart cough syrup. There's raspberries, horse hair, manure, medicinal flavors.

M: medium carb with thin body. Dry finish.

O: very good and fun beer. Not too sour, and very approachable for the noob to sours. Although I cited many of the things I think are nuanced here overall it is like a gueuze of hi order with raspberries mashed up in it. Good stuff.

06-22-2011 19:46:28 | More by harrymel
DovaliHops

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottled June 17, 2010. Pours a GORGEOUS ruby pink color with a large light pink head that disappears very quickly. The carbonation to this lambic is fizzing very loudly like soda. Scent is straight up funky as all hell with amazing raspberry aromas and vinegar. The funkiness in the aroma is just amazing on this one. Taste is initially barnyard funk with some hay. Then immediately, I get sour lacto flavors with some nice Brett character. Then comes the fist full of raspberries right to the face. This raspberry flavor is amazing how it takes over the pallet without being too sweet. The sourness reigns throughout. Finishes with some lovely oak flavors and more raspberry. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and soda-like carbonation. Could be a little less carbonated. Finishes nice and dry. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this is probably the best raspberry lambic I've ever had. I'm so glad I grabbed 3 bottles of this!

06-21-2011 06:15:50 | More by DovaliHops
cavedave

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

It pours a sumac tea color, cloudy, topped briefly by a spritz of white foam, then a bare cap. The look of it is a still fruit drink.

Vinegar and raspberry front the aroma, which also contains hints of floral, wet hay, candi, pale malt, and some more rounded tart from the yeast.

The expected blast of flavor, Cantillon so rarely disappoints, and this is even better than I'd hoped. Lacto/pedio vinegary bitch slap that quickly grabs the other bug juices of light funkitude, and candi sweet, to set up shop on my palate. Very complex, it has grape, grape skin, raspberry, tannins, hay, lightest grain, and as it warms the funk flavors really start to bring their "A" game. Barnyard and bandaids and horses, oh my. The mix just works, it is marvelously enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is the requisite low carb. and high flavor/easy drinking that make all Cantillon beers the treat they are. The finish is similar to a climax in a Stephen King novel.

What a beer, this is just an unexpected treat, one I can't recommend highly enough.

06-20-2011 23:03:19 | More by cavedave
readbaron

6 oz pour into a tulip @ bangers & lace

A - Beautiful clear bright ruby red with a light dusting of pink foam.

S - Lots of lambic sour and funky notes blended pleasantly with raspberry. Starts off sour with a bit of funk, then the raspberry comes through, and finishes with barnyard/leather notes.

T - Tart. From start to finish - all sour. Definitely hits the glands and gives them a good shock. After the palate adjusts, raspberries come shining through. The funk and vinegar fade and the raspberries play a prominate role.

M - Light, crisp, perfectly carbonated.

O - Great, great beer. I'll be buying more of this one when I see it.

06-18-2011 15:39:53 | More by readbaron
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.58/5  rDev +7%

375ml bottle, bottled 14 December 2009, into a tumbler at the Cask Pub & Kitchen.

A: Clear bright red body with an inch of bubbly pink foam that quickly disappears completely. Ok, but slightly better retention would have been nice - that head was beautiful for the few seconds it lasted!

S: What can I say? Sour raspberries + classic Cantillon funk = awesome. The fruit gets more and more apparent as it warms, but the bracing lemony acidity never goes away, and nor do the notes of barnyard, mustardseed, and must. I love it.

T: Raspberry essence jumps into my palate and my nose as I raise the glass, and as soon as the beer hits my tongue the fruit gets displaced by intense sourness + moderate Cantillon funk. The raspberries reassert themselves on the clean, long, puckering finish. Delightful.

M: Soft, effervescent, and just plain alive. Sticky enough to excite every taste bud, clean enough to make me desire more. Wow.

O: I expect every Cantillon I drink to be amazing, but based on other reviews I really wasn't hoping for anything special from the Framboise. I was seriously blown away by how perfectly this beer balanced the base Lambic amazingness with the rich, flavorful fruit. The integration was far superior to that of the Cantillon Kriek, and simply made for a delightful beer. I'm so glad I have a bottle in my cellar.

Cheers!

06-16-2011 02:09:18 | More by woosterbill
KickInTheChalice

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

Served on tap in a flute.

Appearance: Hazy, with rose and raspberry hues, definitely lighter and more pink at the edges. A white energetic cap mostly clings to the outside, with just a bit of lace left behind.

Smell: Tart raspberry is the first aroma I sense. Nice barnyard funk, a fair amount of leather, and a little oak round out the nose.

Taste: Each sip starts out with a strong tart raspberry flavor, which I really like. As I was drinking it, I figured that the sour effect would be reduced with every sip, but I was oh so wrong. With each sip the sour raspberry flavor came back strong. A modest amount of vinegar joins the fruit, with some light vanilla leading into a musty oak flavor. As it warms, much more funk and leather come into the flavor, right at the end. Some light tannins leave the mouth with a complex flavor.

Mouthfeel: The sour flavor puckers my lips and causes profuse salivation. This is really able to hit my sensory sweet spot, because neither of these effects is too over the top. Overall the body is on the light to medium side, with an acidic nature. The full, vibrant, effervescent carbonation really makes this jump off the tongue and awakens my senses even further.

Overall: At this point in my lambic drinking career, I can safely say that my bias leans toward the sour raspberry varieties. Also, each beer I have had from Cantillon has been simply top notch.

06-14-2011 16:12:57 | More by KickInTheChalice
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle - BA review #600

Appearance - The beer pours a hazy ruby red colour with a large fizzy pinkish-white head. I can't make out much carbonation due to the haziness of the beer. There is some decent lacing and the head lasted for about 4 minutes before it was almost gone.

Smell - raspberries, lemons, breads/grains, funk

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a fairly high amount of carbonation that leaves it feeling very lively. The taste really took me by surprise, its incredibly sour/tart. The first thing that came to mind was those sour gumballs I used to buy as a kid. Lots and lots of lemon juice and zest mixed with raspberries. It was so sour that I could feel the citric acid on my teeth even after the beer had been swallowed. This is definitely a beer that needs to be sipped slowly. It finishes with a very sour/tart aftertaste.

Overall - Surely one of the most interesting tasting beers that I've had a chance to try. If you're looking for an over the top sour beer than look no further. I'm happy I had the chance to try it and I'd buy it again for sure.

06-13-2011 15:02:15 | More by spinrsx
amphion1065

3.83/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 9/29/10 and purchased at Granite Package (evidently, Cantillon hasn't gone extinct in Massachusetts).

Pours a vivid rose, with a whitish-pink head that dissipates quickly even after a vigorous pour. Slightly cloudy, not entirely clear. Small bubbles continually rise to the top of the glass.

Light lemon and raspberry scent in the nose - this beer is acidic right off the bat. A muted funk comes through in the smell.

If the smell is subtle and restrained, the taste seems almost over the top: barnyard funk, very acidic lemon, bracing raspberries. Not mouth-puckeringly sour, but it's quite tart. Tasty and very easy to drink, if a tad one-dimensional. The mouthfeel certainly helps matters - light and clean, with just the right amount of carbonation.

I don't think it's fair to compare this beer to other Cantillon lambics - even before I uncorked the bottle, I knew it wouldn't be Lou Pepe-quality. That said, this is a very pleasant beer, one that I would certainly purchase regularly if that were an option.

06-13-2011 00:40:12 | More by amphion1065
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Appearance. Pours a hazy red with a little orange and 2 fingers of bubbly light pink head that fades quick.

Smell. Sour rasberry, funky funk and lots of it with a little citrus fruit.

Taste. Sour rasberry and lemon juice. Wow. Lots of dank funk and citrus fruit zest too. A little wood and leather in the end. Pretty dry.

Mouthfeel. Light in body with lively, strong carbonation. Great stuff here.

Overall. Nice stuff. Everything a lambic should be with a little tart rasberry. No complaints here. Extra points for a sexy label. Buddy gonna get some!!

06-13-2011 00:39:17 | More by Rutager
JizackFH

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Had on-tap at Rattle 'N' Hum in New York, NY on 5/29/11.
Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a beautiful ruby red color. It has a tiny bit of pink froth on top, and it leaves no lacing behind. It looks absolutely delicious.

S - It smells of raspberries and a big sourness. I am also getting some dark cherries, citrus, and some vinegar.

T - I am getting raspberry and lemon tartness right away. There is also some vinegar and a nice sour kick. The acidic sourness really goes well with the citrus flavors.

M - This has a light to medium body and mild carbonation. It goes down very easy and the flavor is great. There is a bit of a mouth puckering sourness and the finish is a bit dry.

O - There is great drinkability here. It tastes great, and I could easily drink a few of these in an evening. Overall, I thought this was an awesome lambic. I definitely recommend trying this one.

06-10-2011 11:22:04 | More by JizackFH
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Man have I been drinking this stuff this season, Sat. night for the UFC fights/NHL finals, was like the 3rd bottle in a month. Wanted to drink another before I gave it what I suspected to be a glowing review, so here we are.

Love the color of this stuff. Pristine, pink and red, great clarity. A jewel of appearance, nice lacing. Aroma of both sweet and sour inducing salivation, raspberries all over this one, bright red raspberries. Big carbonation and sourness.

Both a heavy mouthful of raspberry, but plenty of sour to counterbalance it. Right amount of acidity and bitterness. Dry and puckering slightly, in such a good way. Mild hop quotient to it.

Favorite quote related to this beer was via Corpulent: "Has a strip club bathroom urinal disc smell that is tough to get passed."

Worth the $25 every now and then. Really plan on picking more of these up, as they are great beers for every now and then, would like to see how they develop with age, but I keep drinking my stash, and then my reinforcements to the stash.

06-06-2011 17:53:07 | More by Beerandraiderfan
MasterSki

4.28/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle dated 29 December 2010. Served in a champagne flute.

A - Cork comes out with a nice pop!Two fingers of fizzy pink foam quickly settle to a thick ring and partial cap. Visible streams of tiny bubbles race upwards. Hazed blood orange red body.

S - Huge tart raspberry aroma, with some lemony funk, lactic sourness, as well as some light farm and manure notes that only peek through from time-to-time. As it warms up there is a definite pie crust malt backdrop.

T - Taste is an initial burst of tartness, following by sweet rapberry puree, followed by a lightly oaky and sour lemon finish. Less lactic and more acetic here. Doesn't quite "pop" as much as the aroma either, although it's still plenty enjoyable.

M - Spritzy but soft carbonation, medium-light body, with an extremely dry finish. Quite refreshing!

D - If it weren't for the price and availability issues I'd have this all of the time. I happily consumed a 375ml bottle on my lunch break - too bad it wasn't outside the Brussels Grand Palace. Another fine offering from Jean and co.

06-06-2011 17:40:06 | More by MasterSki
Knapp85

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%

This one poured out as a reddish pink color with a thin white head on it. The smell was acidic and semi sweet. The taste was tart, very tart actually. The mouthfeel was like a carbonated raspberry wine. It's was light bodied and drinkable for sure but I just found it too sour for me.

06-04-2011 01:00:56 | More by Knapp85
Trilogy31

3.7/5  rDev -13.6%

2010 vintage pours a pretty, light plum hue with a finger of pink rose petal head. No lacing left but nice clarity. True to form on the nose and taste that mirror eachother. Tart raspberry, a nice vinous mineral quality, a hit of cherry, with slight citrus, along with an earthy, very sour note. Very drinkable, in a sad way - my girlfriend loved it and decided it was a chick drink "cause it didnt taste like beer". I enjoyed it but found my first cantillon to be slighty disappointing as it was very straight forward and lacked complexity.

06-03-2011 06:00:08 | More by Trilogy31
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle 1996 vintage. Small sample shared by Shaun, thanks a lot! The only regular offering by Cantillon that I've never tasted and my first very old lambic. I was surprised the fruit held up so well. If I had not known it was a raspberry lambic, I would have guessed it was a kriek. Cherries were more present than the raspberries but I could still spot them. The barnyard notes were more present than your usual Cantillon fruit lambic. Taste was mainly lemon, some raspberries again, one of the most sour beer I've had to date.
Very dry finish. It was a very good sample but somewhat hard to drink.

06-02-2011 00:55:43 | More by Luk13
Dubber55

2.88/5  rDev -32.7%

Bottled January 20, 2010
750ml

Into a Founders snifter, pours a reddish pink with some orange highlights. Plenty of lively carbonation. 1 finger of pink bubbles.

Plenty of Cantillon signature funk. Smells really cheesy. Lots of strong barnyard smells- horseblanket, wet hay, some leather, oak, and something that smells similar to body odor.

First thing I notice in this beer is the acidity. Plenty of lemon, sour cherry, lots of oak, leather, and salt. Not tasting any raspberry- mostly sour cherry and cranberry. The lemon and the funk seem to be taking over the flavor profile. Very sour- makes my mouth pucker and salivate. Not complex either. Finish is dry and tannic.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with a lot of carbonation. Perhaps a little too much, in my opinion.

I would have liked to taste some raspberries. I know this beer isnt fresh but I did'nt think that the fruit flavor would fade in less than a year and a half. This beer definitely destroys your palate. Leaves a lingering sour taste that does not go away. It seems it would be difficult to taste anything else after drinking this beer. I needed to drink water in between sips. It is tough to finish off a 750ml. I might drink this again if I can find a fresh bottle, but as is, way too acidic.

05-31-2011 01:15:14 | More by Dubber55
jlindros

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Big rosy fizzy head, lacing, and a rosy pink reddish color with a bit of haze.

N: Light cork but not much, tart funk, Belgian fruit, fresh raspberries and sour rasp, light malts, light dry funk.

T: Nice sour fruit, tart raspberries, fresh rasp, crazy dry, tons of rasp, light tart funk and yeast, raspberries, cranberry, touch of sweet like taste but still dry, bit of acidity, then explosion of fresh rasp and cranberries. FInishes a bit funky and dry, a tartness, a bit acidic, flemmy too.

M: Medium bodied, good carb.

O: Great beer! Great sour fruit, tartness, plenty of raspberry and fruit explosions, nice dry finish and a nice light wild funk. Very underrated IMO.

05-25-2011 02:44:09 | More by jlindros
DJButters

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

750ml bottle; Nude.

A- Pours a bright ruby color with darker ruby hues and 2 fingers of pink head that died to a light pink layer of head that remained for the entire drink, slight lacing but not much.

S- My mouth started to water the second I popped the cork and was hit with a wave of sour funk. In the glass there's more subdued mustiness. Both fresh, tart raspberry and sweet raspberry preserves.. Very tart and dry raspberry flavor that leaves your mouth watering before you take your first sip, it entices you to drink it.

T- Sour raspberry immediately then finishes with a huge dry hay/funk finish. As the beer warms the beer changes... overwhelming crisp sourness is replaced by funk.

M- Nice light body with loads of carbonation that cleanses the palate and leaves you wanting to drink more of this beer. My mouth is still watering after each sip. An excellent fruited lambic, much more sour and lambic-like than sweet and fruity.

D- Huge drinkability, could drink this all day and have no problem.

05-24-2011 20:35:43 | More by DJButters
GrandCruDrew

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

2008 Vintage 750mL, poured in my Cantillon ballon stem.

A- Amber with a rosey hue to it, a little hazy. Poured a 1/2 inch head that quickly disappeared. Very little lacing.

S- Super Raspberry-e, Tartness, the cantillon funk, barnyard w/ a wine like nose.

T- whoa, super sour and funky. Big acid. after a few sips, the raspberries are really coming out! the barnyard carries through.

M- Pretty well balanced. I like this beer with this age on it.

Overall- I can't stop smelling this beer, I love the raspberries! Well Done!

05-23-2011 22:05:15 | More by GrandCruDrew
rapidsequence

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

375 ml bottle. This is the last of the bottles I bought in Paris. Bottled 20 Jan 2010. Mine has a naked lady getting groped on the bottle, unlike the one shown above.

Appearance: Clear, effervescent, and a deep red. The head is a big fizzy thing at first, off white with a pink tinge. It fades down to a thin blanket which never goes away, feed by the continous stream of bubbles from the bottom.

Smell: My mouth started to water the second I popped the cork and was hit with a wave of sour funk. In the glass there's more subdued mustiness with a lemony sourness. Both fresh, tart raspberry and sweet raspberry preserves.

Taste: I'm excited how much the fruit does not dominate here. The flavor is quite sour and musty funky. Lemon fades to tart rasberry from midpalate to the finish leaving a pleasant sour raspberry taste. Dry and slightly puckering.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy and dry, with a slightly sticky coating tannic feel along with the dry finish. Refreshing, excellent.

Overall: An excellent fruited lambic, much more sour and lambic-like than sweet and fruity.

05-23-2011 01:00:16 | More by rapidsequence
metter98

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

A: The beer is clear red in color and does not have any head or visible carbonation.
S: There are light aromas of sourness in the nose along with some hints of raspberries.
T: The raspberry flavors stand out in the taste and are accompanied by a light amount of sourness. No sweetness is detectable.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is very drinkable because the fruity flavors help to balance out some of the sourness.

05-23-2011 00:53:49 | More by metter98
dragonWhale

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Rattle N Hum. After St Lamvinus, the 2nd sexiest pour of the day. A brilliant red, shockingly vibrant. It seems to emanate music from its very effervescence. The raspberries are big on the aroma, dominating the smell. A little bit of funk backing it up but still the sweet berries dominate. Nice. The flavor is not nearly as sweet, the berries are there, but a big mouth puckering tartness takes over and just stays. Pretty much forever. Not super sour but very tart. I like.

05-22-2011 05:15:46 | More by dragonWhale
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

On cask at Moeder Lambic. From notes.

A - Poured a red colour with a one finger pinkish head. Bright. Great retention of one finger of fluffy head.

S - Raspberry or strawberry. Now that I know what this had in it, it makes sense. Straight berry is what I got. It was nice but not overly complex. Just fruit.

T - Sour with obvious fruit. Very fruity with hay and cobweb thrown in.

M - Spritsy carbonation with light to medium body.

O/D - Not too bad but not great. Too fruity and not lambicy enough for me. I didn't dislike it, I just expected something different.

Serving type: cask

05-20-2011 22:04:45 | More by tbeckett
Beer4Baltimore

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

- 750 ml bottle
Cork was crumbly and didn't come out cleanly.
A - beautiful deep red with fine fizzy bubbles but no lasting head to speak of.
S - Musty tart berries as expected.
T - Raspberry tartness covering a slightly sweet and musty lingering taste. The sour fades quickly and leaves you ready for more.
M - light bodied and clean.
D - I'll be having the whole 750 for sure, but at this price it will be awhile until I can enjoy another.

05-17-2011 22:54:59 | More by Beer4Baltimore
Halcyondays

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

375 mL bottle, bottled 1/20/10,

A: Pours a gorgeous raspberry red with a soft white head, some lace.

S: Direct raspberry notes with a hint of horse blanket and Brett, eclectic mix.

T: A young lambic and the fruit is direct and to the point and it's delicious. Amazing raspberries mixed with some lemon and great lactic acid.

M: Medium-bodied, good balancing acidity, pleasing carbonation.

O: Another classic from Cantillon and it rocks. The fruit flavour and the acidity is brilliant, I'm glad I finally got to have a bottle to myself.

05-04-2011 00:54:58 | More by Halcyondays