Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros
ArrogantB

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

750ml bottle 2006 vintage. nice light pink-orange color, interesting. Smells slightly funky, hay, subtle. The flavor is more fruity lambic, sour and only once did I distinctly taste raspberry but it was like I bit into one. Other than that the raspberries were muted into a general fruitiness. I'd be interested in getting a fresher bottle to compare but I was not disappointed in this beer.

11-24-2008 06:00:42 | More by ArrogantB
roadhouse

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle dated 09/04/2007 into a snifter.

Appears a soft reddish orange, cloudy because I let a bit too much sediment in from the bottom in attempt to get every drop of the nectar. A half inch rose tinted white head holds up for a couple minutes then sinks down to a thin skim and ring.

Aroma is full of funk and sourness. The raspberry comes through nicely in a subtle way mixing with the funk. It seems like its trying to come across as sweet but the sour prevents it. A bit of old leather and tart green apples noted as well.

The taste is initially of sweet fruit mixed with a light sourness but that is quickly changed when right when you begin to swallow and it becomes almost intensely sour, but in a good way. Finishes is puckering with a nice funky linger.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, quite smooth with a creamy carbonation.

Overall I was very impressed with this, my first Cantillon beer. Not the most sour I have had, that would have to go to Beatification.

11-19-2008 05:47:35 | More by roadhouse
gdfan47

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

this one is right up my tree
i like rasberries, but i find most rasberry beers to be too sweet..

not this one.. it brings the funk and sourness that i have grown to LOOOVE from Cantillon

it pours about a shade lighter than rose

its just a nice fun, funky awesome beer with a little rasberry on the nose..
from what I gather this beer is a little hard to find and i will enjoy it and drink at least one everywhere i can find one

the only drawback.. its a little pricey, but hey thats Cantillon

def a great treat

11-10-2008 09:53:57 | More by gdfan47
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

I remember having this beer years ago and thinking that it was almost too sour for me. These days I think no such thing and think this beer is wonderful. This one is a 2007. Pours a beautiful ruby red with a pink head that fades quickly. Smells tart, but not overly acetic and with a nice backbone of light barnyard funkiness.
The taste is very nicely balanced between this light funkiness and rasperry tartness with a refreshing minerality throughout. Not as sharply sour in the mouthfeel as you might think, in fact there is a nice almost saltwater tafffy softness after the initial sourness. Very drinkable, and even better than I remember it.

10-28-2008 00:57:55 | More by Georgiabeer
Onibubba

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

750 champagne bottle with a 2007 cork date. Some difficulty in getting the cork out without actully pushing it back into the bottle. Immediately assaulted by scent of fresh sweet raspberry. Overwhelmingly pleasant, and no indicator of the tart monster within. Pour is a light copper, no sediment chunks, and a slight quickly dissipating head. A bit cloudy. Tart. No getting around it. This was my second beer from this brewery. Either my taste for sours has grown, or this is nowhere near the sour potency of their straight lambics. Regardless, it is still plenty sour, to the point of obscuring the raspberry, which continues to strongly assert itself in the aroma. A very pleasant combination. Hard to describe the mouthfeel as the sour taste is quite mouthwatering. Little carbonation and smooth body. Drinkability - not super high, but not a fault of the beer, and certainly good for the style. It is a sipper to be sure, but I had no difficulty finishing a the bottle. Very enjoyable and a beer I will definately revisit again.

10-22-2008 01:36:35 | More by Onibubba
rkuhnel

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

From the Northcoast Coop this set me back a full $13.49 for 650 ml bottle. Poured a cloudy red with small off-white head and pink tinges on the bubbles. Nose is sour and clearly of raspberries. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth, and favor is a great sour note with raspberry sweetness backing it up. Simply sublime.

10-04-2008 22:57:19 | More by rkuhnel
brdc

Wisconsin

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Small, corked and capped bottle; bottled 2005. Poured into a snifter.

It is a surprisingly clear (at least until you pour sediment, if you do) light red/pinkish beer, with a surprising effervescence that quickly rises to the top, and then rapidly goes away, taking the head with it, leaving no collar or lacing.
Aroma is funky, musty, vinegary, but also fruity, woody, raspberries more noticeable.
Medium in body and refreshing, but the pungent sourness and acidity make this into a sipper; a great one. Some fruity sweetness, funkiness and oakiness come and go, but the acidity and sourness dominate the flavors.
Very good, not sweet as expected for the 'lambic-fruit" denomination -this is the way it is supposed to be; a great contrast to Lindemans fruit lambics. Another great Cantillon.

09-25-2008 02:35:52 | More by brdc
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

A: Pale, rose colored red. No head at all. Very few bubbles.

S: Raspberries, sweet smells, funky body odor smells, crazy lambic smells, this interesting to say the least. Spicy peppery notes as well.

T: Sour! This is a very sour, funky tasting beer, not overpowered by raspberries, lots of sour funky tastes. I can't really describe it any better. Very few fruit flavors in fact.

M: Thin. Nicely carbonated, and crisp. Very dry finish.

D: I don't think I could drink very many of these. One bottle is more than enough, but its interesting, a true lambic. A little on the funky side. To say the least.

09-21-2008 05:17:55 | More by pokesbeerdude
jojox

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

From a bottle I imported from Europe earlier this year (2008). Bought either in 2008 or 2007.

a - very much like a rosé wine. Clear (decently poured to separate dregs which were put in the bug circus), lots 'o bubbles, no head.

s - terribly acid, red fruit. Reminds me of a red fruit mead I made (not exactly a good association)

t - Cantillon! Cheek-sucking sour. Not much fruit. It's got an all-the-way-back-to-the-molars sour. Red fruit on the end. Again, a bit mead-y.

m - Very tart. Bubbles are plentiful and very small.

d - I love this stuff, but I think I prefer the Kreik to be honest. I could drink 2 of these I think, before the mouth sores would come...

09-19-2008 14:01:45 | More by jojox
DIM

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

The cork says this was bottled in 2008.

a: This was a reddish pink color with some peachy highlights. It poured with a fizzy light pink colored head that was fairly long lasting.

s: Musty aromas of apple cider vinegar with notes of smoky oak. The raspberries provide a sweet, almost sugary semblance of balance. As it warms some damp, decaying grain notes emerge.

t: This had dry, tart, and vinegary apple and to a lesser extent, raspberry flavors. There was a crisp and refreshing flowery, sour bite at the end. Sour beers are very difficult for me to describe. There is something else here I don't have words for.

m: The carbonation was fizzy and soda-pop like.

d: This was my first fruited lambic and I liked it. It wasn't as sharply sour as I expected. Overall it was delicious, surprisingly subdued and approachable.

09-17-2008 10:39:10 | More by DIM
PatrickJR

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into red wine glass.

This is my 300th review, suggested in part by the good BAs on the forums, thanks!

First of all, WOW. This is not what I expected, but I suppose this is the more authentic side of fruit lambics compared to the Lindemanns that I've had so far.

A - A nice sunset color. Murky, peachy/orange/pink. A quick, small, fizzy head forms upon pouring but disappears completely. No lace. Expected considering the lambics I've had.

S - Cheese, rubber, leather, smoke. A little off-putting at first, but quite beautiful and unique as it breathes some. Very funky.

T - I don't quite know what to think. Much more sour than I would've imagined. The initial hit is a citrus rind sourness, like a very tart lemonade. The big cheese character comes next, like a smoked, aged, cheddar. There is a hint of the alleged raspberries hiding out, but nothing that makes itself overly known. The sourness sweeps in again with a leathery, funky bitterness. Finish is surprisingly clean considering.

M - Somewhere between light and medium with a good bit of carbonation. Seems suited to the beer, nothing that detracts.

D - Man, I got about half of the bottle into this wine glass, and I don't even know if I'll get to the rest of the bottle. This is some intense stuff. A nice change of pace, but a challenging beer to say the least.

09-11-2008 01:40:11 | More by PatrickJR
stumac

3.15/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

There are lesbos on the label!!....ya....

pours an orange-red color with a white head. the smell is sour! raspberries! sour! the taste is super sour! more sour raspberries!

Cantillon is a great brewery....this one is just an oddball....i'ld have to try it again because i dont believe that they actually made a beer that i thougt was just "OK"...

09-10-2008 16:18:05 | More by stumac
bonbini26

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

On Tap @monks cafe on 08/16/2008

Appearance: this poured a purple/red outta the tap, not would you normally see come from a beer tap. A brilliant ruby color with little to no head

Smell: earthy fruitiness, with hints of raspberry

Taste & Mouthfeel: Moderate body, crisp with a creamy malt in the back. Super tart with a balance of fruitiness and souring puckered acidity. Raspberries and earth pile on high with the tartness. Lots of citrus and lots of funky, musty, earthy, barnyard notes

Drinkability- even though i have had gueze's and lambics before this one still takes some getting used to even after a few sips. Esp. the 1st one that puckers your mouth up. I had this beer last at my trip to monks cafe, i great way to end the day

08-18-2008 15:25:44 | More by bonbini26
bluemoonswoon

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Purchased a bottle of this at the Map Room in Chicago and served in a small tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy peach color, apparently the color of the beer is different from bottle to bottle the wild yeast used to make this beer results in something different each time (at least this is what I was told by one of the Map Room regulars). Its rather nice looking and leaves little room for head or lacing, perhaps because of the extreme acidity in the beer.

S: Unripe, read: bitter, raspberries coupled with a sour musty barn yard grassy character with just a hint of vinegar, much better than it sounds written here. Raspberry is the dominate aroma and is a joy to experience sour as it may be.

T/MF: Incredibly tart and sour to the point of puckering, I mean you can feel the back of your jaw muscles clenching as this beer passes the back of your tongue and slides down your throat. I wouldn't call the mouthfeel sticky, it feels that way but I think its because the beer is so tart is just sucks the wetness right off the tongue and just makees everything feel very dry. The taste, as tart as it is, is really very good, sour raspberry and a good amount of thick basementy grassyness compose most of the flavor profile of this beer.

D: Given a bit of time the intense tartness of the beer begins to wear on your pallate, I enjoy sours but after a while it becomes hard to work your way though an entire bottle of this stuff because it gives your tongue such an ungodly beating. Still a pretty damn fine beer all things considered.

08-14-2008 18:01:14 | More by bluemoonswoon
tronester

Oklahoma

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a clear pink with brown highlights. The head is medium sized and off-white. Smell is of hay, and raspberries. Taste is quite tart, with sour raspberries comprising of the main flavor. There is also a hint of earthiness. No hop flavor or bitterness. I didn't taste any barnyard flavors. Mouthfeel is good, carbonation levels high. An interesting, tasty treat, though I wouldn't want more than a glass or two of this in one sitting because the tartness does get to you after awhile.

08-09-2008 01:30:43 | More by tronester
Damian

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%

Drank from a 1 PINT 9.40 FL. OZ. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
2007 vintage
Served in a flute

With all the beer bottle labels getting scrapped by the feds these days, I am surprised this one ever got through. Here we have an 18th century, noble looking figure groping a naked woman sitting on his lap. It appears as if she is drinking from a goblet of (what is presumably) Cantillon lambic. I know what I am getting for the lady next time she visits me!

As for the beer itself, it poured a brilliant, crystal clear, pinkish hued crimson color with a huge, bubbly, fizzy, light pink head that quickly dissipated to a thick, frothy ring.

The aroma was super funky. Barnyard-like and musty with an intense, berry-like sourness.

The taste was intensely sour and sharply acidic. Almost vinegar-like. Sour Patch Kids also came to mind. Ultra funky and musty. No noticeable raspberry flavor whatsoever. The sourness crescendoed in the very dry, oaky, long-lasting finish. Overall, not very complex for the style.

The mouthfeel was rather intense. Light and crisp on the palate with large bubbled, aggressive carbonation that was a bit distracting from the beer itself.

Of the various lambics and guezes I have tried, none can compete with the sourness and acidity found in this example. Although this beer was interesting, its sharpness was a bit overpowering, presumably masking some of the more complex oak, fruit and funk flavors hiding beneath the surface. This is an interesting and intense example of the style but probably not not one that I would revisit.

08-07-2008 17:07:26 | More by Damian
marcpal

3.73/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into tulip glass.

A: Cherry red coloring with a pink filmy head. Interesting provocative label, Lacing and foam puddled to the middle of the top.

N: Sweet tarts, raspberry sweet tarts. The fruit was a powerful smash. Puckering flavors that you see coming from afar.

T: Tart and tart. This is unlike other lambics, but Im not sure I would really say that makes it better. The tartness is right on but the fruit character only comes through is its warmed correctly. Surely a well made brew.

Acidic raspberries, many claim this to be superior to others but really not all that complex. Seems one sided on the tart edge.

M: Thin with a comforting texture. The tartness snaps you back and forth.

D: To sum it up, well made but too tart for my liking. A beer spot on for the style but a bit much for me and not the cheapest option on the shelves.

08-05-2008 23:17:08 | More by marcpal
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Bottle, 2007 vintage, into my flute.

A: Clear raspberry red (the first pour, at least) with a rapidly dissipating white head.

S: Funky, acidic (vinegar) and fruity. Hardly any mustiness.

T: Starts off tart and sour with great acidity with the flavors of raspberry coming through. Not sweet by any stretch of the imagination. Long, dry, sour finish

M: Excellent carbonation with a fantastic finish

D: Easily drinkable, will try more of this

** Reviewed 7th August 2009*
Seeing how my earlier review is disappointing, I figured I'd give this another gander. boatshoes was kind enough to send me a bottle of the 2008 release today which was promptly poured into my Lost Abbey tumbler

A: Hazy pink with a thin, light pink head with OK retention. I can see the appeal of a tumbler for a lambic

S: Musty, acidic and sharply funky, reminiscent of a sharp blue cheese. It really smells like a musty attic. Fruit character is a little muted, but is present and noticeable, mildly jammy in character. Delicious. Sour as hell with a prominent lime rind character.

T: Holy fuck. It's been a while since I've had a beer this sharp in its sourness. Opening up with an intense combination of lemon skins, a moderate lactic sourness and a sourness that reminds me of unripened berries, this is *intense*. Fruit character is present and prominent, with the raspberries carrying through the intense sourness. Funky and barnyardy, with a mildly sweat-like saltiness. Intensely drying on the finish, with the fruit very well expressed. An awesome beer.

M: While very acidic and sour, there's a surprising fruity sweetness and body to this beer. Sour and drying on the finish. The acidity cleanses the palate and makes sure every tastebud is alive and kicking, obviating the need for carbonation (that's rather low)

D: As intense and over the top as this beer is, I love it to pieces. It really is incredible

* I'm surprised as hell (and happy) that while my impressions on this beer have changed a lot, my scores haven't. An excellent beer, I can't wait to get to the 2006 I have in my cellar.

08-05-2008 19:38:34 | More by DefenCorps
brendan13

Australia

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Poured from a 375ml corked and capped bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a pink tinged light copper colour with a couple of centimetres of rocky white head that falls away fairly quickly.
S - Smell is initially musty and earthy with quite a strong sourness. The raspberry aroma is there but not as strong as expected.
T - The raspberry comes through a bit more in the taste but it is still in the background to a musty, sour taste.
M - Light bodied with a high carbonation. The sourness lingers.
D - Not something I'd drink all that often but it's still a great beer for what it's supposed to be.

08-03-2008 10:28:14 | More by brendan13
yelterdow

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

Cellared for three years, this is served in a stange at fridge temperature. 2005 vintage.

Appearance- Right off the bat, I'm really surprised at the carbonation level. Last month I cracked open a Cantillon Organic Gueuze from the same year, and it was completely flat (as it very well should be) and very tasty. The head on this beautiful light rose drink is a solid two fingers, soapy and full. It slowly withers away to a thin, bubbly mat and leaves nothing behind.

Smell- A bone dry aroma of fermenting fruit and hay, complemented with a barnyard character of flies on a horse's hindquarters baking in the hot sun. As wonderfully authentic and exciting as any true lambic from Cantillon or anyone else.

Taste- If beers like this became no longer available, the world would be a more boring place. Powerfully tart, to the point where my eyes squint and tongue reels... it's reminiscent of the Fou Foune experience, where you just can't even imagine a more face-puckering beverage. After the initial blast, the beer goes bone dry and delivers a horseblanket-like environment in the mouth. The finish, lasting a full century, is quite memorable... it sums up the funky dryness and lingers on.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The first glassful had a moderately textured feel, with small bubbles more noticable than the final two servings. It does have the right character for the style, so the thinner, less carbonated feature is right on the money. An absolutely stunning example from the Granddaddy of Lambic producers, and a reminder that I need to visit this a lot more often.

07-28-2008 01:44:08 | More by yelterdow
daftafne

3.98/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The cork was dated 2007. Poured into a tulip glass. the orange/rose-colored liquid produced a head for just a moment. Low clarity. Smells fantastic - mostly of raspberries and something else I cant tell. I havent had many lambics but this one is quite a bit different. Not sweet at all. Singes my nasal passages for a moment on the first sip. Very tart. Barely tastes like raspberries. I imagine I am tasting some of the lambic yeast but my palate and experience with lambics is really limiting my description. Somewhat spritzy on the tongue that leaves a lingering tart-induced pucker. Interesting and enjoyable.

07-27-2008 19:38:25 | More by daftafne
DrunkenMaster

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is one funky smelling beer. Cheese and tart fruit. The color makes this beer look syrupy. Taste is very sour good with strawberries, rasberries, wood and grapefruit. Very dry and fizzy. I prefer rasberries in my lambics over the sour cherries, although both are very good. I really need to try that blueberry lambic they make.

07-06-2008 16:55:51 | More by DrunkenMaster
jDoubleU

3.58/5  rDev -16.4%

Wow. What a shocker. I've had pretty much every Lindemans you can possibly get over here (even the Cuvée René). So, that's what I had to reference from.

It smelled awful. Reminds me of the Rodenbach Grand Cru. Super funky! I thought that it had reached it's peak and was on a downward spiral.

Boy. What a surprise. The tannins hit me hard at first. But then the subtle raspberries came upon me to keep the puckering at bay. There was a little oak.

A different experience than Lindemans Framboise. The raspberry was more in the background silently keeping tabs on the funky Brettanomyces.

Good beer. I would like to try another one in the near future to compare.

07-03-2008 03:20:28 | More by jDoubleU
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

750ml capped and corked green bottle from The Lighthouse in Manchester. Pours a murky bright red body with a short-lived inch of off-white head. Smells acidic, fruity (raspberries), and just slightly nutty. Tastes like very sour raspberry with the slightest hint of sweetness toward the finish. Vegetal and tea-like at times in the aftertaste. Light to medium in body with light carbonation. Brilliantly sour and complex, just as I expected from Cantillon. A very solid lambic, but only an occasional treat considering the price.

07-02-2008 00:10:59 | More by MrHurmateeowish
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy apricot - looks more like a dipa than a lamic. nominal head but with a slight soapy white lacing. Nose- very tart with strong raspberr and some mustiness. Taste- very acidic and woody. Earthy, lemon character with a raspberry kick. Mouth puckering goodness! Finishes dry with some fruit sweetness.

06-29-2008 01:45:28 | More by oakbluff