Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

pDev: 10%
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros
4.16/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 375ml bottle.

A - Pours a soft pink with some reddish hues and a nice active and lively pillowy light pink head that is actually quite noisy. It is about 2 inches tall. The head recedes at a quick pace.

S - Starts off deliciously sweet. Fresh raspberries and some nice woody notes. There is some tartness to the raspberry sweetness as well. Some jam and some nice flowery notes.

T & M - Starts off tart and dry with some woody notes. Some medicinal qualities come in barely. The tartness is pretty tame and the raspberry sweetness does a great job of balancing that out. The woody and earthy tones are more prevalent than I expected. There is some nice funk on the back end and the finish is dry and a bit vinegary. Mouthfeel is light and dry and crisp.

O - Pretty good fruit lambic. I enjoy the Kriek a bit better but this is still good. Easy to drink and well crafted.

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

2010 vintage

A - pours a bright cherry red with a crackling head

S - smells of tart, citric sourness with subtle hints if raspberry and funk

T - Taste starts off with sour citric flavors. In the mix are some musty funk flavors. There is a subtle raspberry flavor on the finish mixed in with the sour citrus tones. Pretty solid, but hoping for a but more. Not the most complex sour I have known.

M - mouth is a little thin with decent carbonation

D - pretty decent framboise lambic. Worth the price tag and effort? Debatable...I think I will reach for a different cantillon in the future.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2010 vintage, thanks to gfunk720

A - The brew pours a radiant pinkish red hue and is capped with a thick froth of powder-pink foam, which recedes to an encircling wisp in short order.

S - The aroma is funky in an earthy-musty sort of way, and besides that it suggests fresh cherries (really no raspberries, strangely.)

T - The flavor shows lemon peel, pink grapefruit rinds, kumquat, bitter grass, wood tannin, and has a pungent lemon-tea astringency on the finish. I only get raspberry in the faintest sense where it reminds me of Raspberry Zinger tea. Very puckering. I cannot pinpoint if this is lactic or acetic, but it is definitely a bit more than moderately acidic, and it also suggests sour candies. This tastes a bit like a Hanssens brew come to think of it.

M - The feel is silky, with low carbonation and an extremely dry finish.

O - Overall, the whole is better than the sum of its parts. A deliciously exquisite and complex libation; a sensory experience.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Served on-tap at Max's Taphouse during their "Rare and Obscure" event.

A - Pours clear pinkish red with a small one finger tall off-white head leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of musty basement, light sourness, dulled raspberries, and some very light woodiness. Not as acidic as some of the other offerings I have had from Cantillon.

T - Starts off with a hint of the sweet raspberries that reside in this beer quickly giving way to a mix of acetic and lactic acid. Not as funky as I was expecting but it still had plenty of tart sourness to make up for that. The finish has a bit of dry wood tannin mixed in with all that sourness.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sharp acidic twang in the feel with plenty of it lingering through the finish.

O - Overall another winner from Cantillon. Just like the Lou Pepe, I have had this out of the bottle a few times and I have always liked it. It could use a bit more fruit in the nose but that isn't a huge deal to me. Good stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

My first Cantillon! This one was bottled on 12/23/09. Enjoyed on 06/26/11.

A - Poured into a snifter. A beautiful deep ruby red color with a large light pink head that recedes quickly. Leaves no lacing. Great looking beer.

S - Vinegar, oak, tart funk, raspberry sweetness. Very balanced. Somewhat chalky.

T - Sweet up front which gives way to a nice tart, oaky, funky flavor toward the end. The finish is quite balanced and dry. Raspberries are definitely present at this point in this beer's relatively young life.

M - Right on for a lambic. Comparable to champagne on the palate.

O - This is an excellent beer. Not overly sour, nice raspberry sweetness. Good stuff.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

pours a ruby red color with light pink head that immediately fizzles out. typical lambic smells mixed with juice. smells a little "lighter" than other cantillons. pleasant. taste is sour off the bat, with a nice berry background. light mouthfeel almost flat towards the end of the glass as all the carbonation disappears from this one. Overall, this is a sweeter Cantillon and enjoyable just like the rest. Less funk and all that "horseblanket" jive, but that does not detract from this great beer. I only wish the carbonation would hold.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Received a sample of this fine beer whilst touring the brewery.

A: beautiful blood orange ale with excellent clarity. Single finger falls to a quilt of pretty pink velvet foam. Cobweb lacing.

S: sour raspberries, horse hair, bacterial sourness and some garden soil.

T: extra tart cough syrup. There's raspberries, horse hair, manure, medicinal flavors.

M: medium carb with thin body. Dry finish.

O: very good and fun beer. Not too sour, and very approachable for the noob to sours. Although I cited many of the things I think are nuanced here overall it is like a gueuze of hi order with raspberries mashed up in it. Good stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottled June 17, 2010. Pours a GORGEOUS ruby pink color with a large light pink head that disappears very quickly. The carbonation to this lambic is fizzing very loudly like soda. Scent is straight up funky as all hell with amazing raspberry aromas and vinegar. The funkiness in the aroma is just amazing on this one. Taste is initially barnyard funk with some hay. Then immediately, I get sour lacto flavors with some nice Brett character. Then comes the fist full of raspberries right to the face. This raspberry flavor is amazing how it takes over the pallet without being too sweet. The sourness reigns throughout. Finishes with some lovely oak flavors and more raspberry. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and soda-like carbonation. Could be a little less carbonated. Finishes nice and dry. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this is probably the best raspberry lambic I've ever had. I'm so glad I grabbed 3 bottles of this!

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

It pours a sumac tea color, cloudy, topped briefly by a spritz of white foam, then a bare cap. The look of it is a still fruit drink.

Vinegar and raspberry front the aroma, which also contains hints of floral, wet hay, candi, pale malt, and some more rounded tart from the yeast.

The expected blast of flavor, Cantillon so rarely disappoints, and this is even better than I'd hoped. Lacto/pedio vinegary bitch slap that quickly grabs the other bug juices of light funkitude, and candi sweet, to set up shop on my palate. Very complex, it has grape, grape skin, raspberry, tannins, hay, lightest grain, and as it warms the funk flavors really start to bring their "A" game. Barnyard and bandaids and horses, oh my. The mix just works, it is marvelously enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is the requisite low carb. and high flavor/easy drinking that make all Cantillon beers the treat they are. The finish is similar to a climax in a Stephen King novel.

What a beer, this is just an unexpected treat, one I can't recommend highly enough.

6 oz pour into a tulip @ bangers & lace

A - Beautiful clear bright ruby red with a light dusting of pink foam.

S - Lots of lambic sour and funky notes blended pleasantly with raspberry. Starts off sour with a bit of funk, then the raspberry comes through, and finishes with barnyard/leather notes.

T - Tart. From start to finish - all sour. Definitely hits the glands and gives them a good shock. After the palate adjusts, raspberries come shining through. The funk and vinegar fade and the raspberries play a prominate role.

M - Light, crisp, perfectly carbonated.

O - Great, great beer. I'll be buying more of this one when I see it.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

375ml bottle, bottled 14 December 2009, into a tumbler at the Cask Pub & Kitchen.

A: Clear bright red body with an inch of bubbly pink foam that quickly disappears completely. Ok, but slightly better retention would have been nice - that head was beautiful for the few seconds it lasted!

S: What can I say? Sour raspberries + classic Cantillon funk = awesome. The fruit gets more and more apparent as it warms, but the bracing lemony acidity never goes away, and nor do the notes of barnyard, mustardseed, and must. I love it.

T: Raspberry essence jumps into my palate and my nose as I raise the glass, and as soon as the beer hits my tongue the fruit gets displaced by intense sourness + moderate Cantillon funk. The raspberries reassert themselves on the clean, long, puckering finish. Delightful.

M: Soft, effervescent, and just plain alive. Sticky enough to excite every taste bud, clean enough to make me desire more. Wow.

O: I expect every Cantillon I drink to be amazing, but based on other reviews I really wasn't hoping for anything special from the Framboise. I was seriously blown away by how perfectly this beer balanced the base Lambic amazingness with the rich, flavorful fruit. The integration was far superior to that of the Cantillon Kriek, and simply made for a delightful beer. I'm so glad I have a bottle in my cellar.

Cheers!

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Served on tap in a flute.

Appearance: Hazy, with rose and raspberry hues, definitely lighter and more pink at the edges. A white energetic cap mostly clings to the outside, with just a bit of lace left behind.

Smell: Tart raspberry is the first aroma I sense. Nice barnyard funk, a fair amount of leather, and a little oak round out the nose.

Taste: Each sip starts out with a strong tart raspberry flavor, which I really like. As I was drinking it, I figured that the sour effect would be reduced with every sip, but I was oh so wrong. With each sip the sour raspberry flavor came back strong. A modest amount of vinegar joins the fruit, with some light vanilla leading into a musty oak flavor. As it warms, much more funk and leather come into the flavor, right at the end. Some light tannins leave the mouth with a complex flavor.

Mouthfeel: The sour flavor puckers my lips and causes profuse salivation. This is really able to hit my sensory sweet spot, because neither of these effects is too over the top. Overall the body is on the light to medium side, with an acidic nature. The full, vibrant, effervescent carbonation really makes this jump off the tongue and awakens my senses even further.

Overall: At this point in my lambic drinking career, I can safely say that my bias leans toward the sour raspberry varieties. Also, each beer I have had from Cantillon has been simply top notch.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle - BA review #600

Appearance - The beer pours a hazy ruby red colour with a large fizzy pinkish-white head. I can't make out much carbonation due to the haziness of the beer. There is some decent lacing and the head lasted for about 4 minutes before it was almost gone.

Smell - raspberries, lemons, breads/grains, funk

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a fairly high amount of carbonation that leaves it feeling very lively. The taste really took me by surprise, its incredibly sour/tart. The first thing that came to mind was those sour gumballs I used to buy as a kid. Lots and lots of lemon juice and zest mixed with raspberries. It was so sour that I could feel the citric acid on my teeth even after the beer had been swallowed. This is definitely a beer that needs to be sipped slowly. It finishes with a very sour/tart aftertaste.

Overall - Surely one of the most interesting tasting beers that I've had a chance to try. If you're looking for an over the top sour beer than look no further. I'm happy I had the chance to try it and I'd buy it again for sure.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 9/29/10 and purchased at Granite Package (evidently, Cantillon hasn't gone extinct in Massachusetts).

Pours a vivid rose, with a whitish-pink head that dissipates quickly even after a vigorous pour. Slightly cloudy, not entirely clear. Small bubbles continually rise to the top of the glass.

Light lemon and raspberry scent in the nose - this beer is acidic right off the bat. A muted funk comes through in the smell.

If the smell is subtle and restrained, the taste seems almost over the top: barnyard funk, very acidic lemon, bracing raspberries. Not mouth-puckeringly sour, but it's quite tart. Tasty and very easy to drink, if a tad one-dimensional. The mouthfeel certainly helps matters - light and clean, with just the right amount of carbonation.

I don't think it's fair to compare this beer to other Cantillon lambics - even before I uncorked the bottle, I knew it wouldn't be Lou Pepe-quality. That said, this is a very pleasant beer, one that I would certainly purchase regularly if that were an option.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance. Pours a hazy red with a little orange and 2 fingers of bubbly light pink head that fades quick.

Smell. Sour rasberry, funky funk and lots of it with a little citrus fruit.

Taste. Sour rasberry and lemon juice. Wow. Lots of dank funk and citrus fruit zest too. A little wood and leather in the end. Pretty dry.

Mouthfeel. Light in body with lively, strong carbonation. Great stuff here.

Overall. Nice stuff. Everything a lambic should be with a little tart rasberry. No complaints here. Extra points for a sexy label. Buddy gonna get some!!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Had on-tap at Rattle 'N' Hum in New York, NY on 5/29/11.
Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a beautiful ruby red color. It has a tiny bit of pink froth on top, and it leaves no lacing behind. It looks absolutely delicious.

S - It smells of raspberries and a big sourness. I am also getting some dark cherries, citrus, and some vinegar.

T - I am getting raspberry and lemon tartness right away. There is also some vinegar and a nice sour kick. The acidic sourness really goes well with the citrus flavors.

M - This has a light to medium body and mild carbonation. It goes down very easy and the flavor is great. There is a bit of a mouth puckering sourness and the finish is a bit dry.

O - There is great drinkability here. It tastes great, and I could easily drink a few of these in an evening. Overall, I thought this was an awesome lambic. I definitely recommend trying this one.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Man have I been drinking this stuff this season, Sat. night for the UFC fights/NHL finals, was like the 3rd bottle in a month. Wanted to drink another before I gave it what I suspected to be a glowing review, so here we are.

Love the color of this stuff. Pristine, pink and red, great clarity. A jewel of appearance, nice lacing. Aroma of both sweet and sour inducing salivation, raspberries all over this one, bright red raspberries. Big carbonation and sourness.

Both a heavy mouthful of raspberry, but plenty of sour to counterbalance it. Right amount of acidity and bitterness. Dry and puckering slightly, in such a good way. Mild hop quotient to it.

Favorite quote related to this beer was via Corpulent: "Has a strip club bathroom urinal disc smell that is tough to get passed."

Worth the $25 every now and then. Really plan on picking more of these up, as they are great beers for every now and then, would like to see how they develop with age, but I keep drinking my stash, and then my reinforcements to the stash.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle dated 29 December 2010. Served in a champagne flute.

A - Cork comes out with a nice pop!Two fingers of fizzy pink foam quickly settle to a thick ring and partial cap. Visible streams of tiny bubbles race upwards. Hazed blood orange red body.

S - Huge tart raspberry aroma, with some lemony funk, lactic sourness, as well as some light farm and manure notes that only peek through from time-to-time. As it warms up there is a definite pie crust malt backdrop.

T - Taste is an initial burst of tartness, following by sweet rapberry puree, followed by a lightly oaky and sour lemon finish. Less lactic and more acetic here. Doesn't quite "pop" as much as the aroma either, although it's still plenty enjoyable.

M - Spritzy but soft carbonation, medium-light body, with an extremely dry finish. Quite refreshing!

D - If it weren't for the price and availability issues I'd have this all of the time. I happily consumed a 375ml bottle on my lunch break - too bad it wasn't outside the Brussels Grand Palace. Another fine offering from Jean and co.

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

This one poured out as a reddish pink color with a thin white head on it. The smell was acidic and semi sweet. The taste was tart, very tart actually. The mouthfeel was like a carbonated raspberry wine. It's was light bodied and drinkable for sure but I just found it too sour for me.

3.7/5  rDev -14%

2010 vintage pours a pretty, light plum hue with a finger of pink rose petal head. No lacing left but nice clarity. True to form on the nose and taste that mirror eachother. Tart raspberry, a nice vinous mineral quality, a hit of cherry, with slight citrus, along with an earthy, very sour note. Very drinkable, in a sad way - my girlfriend loved it and decided it was a chick drink "cause it didnt taste like beer". I enjoyed it but found my first cantillon to be slighty disappointing as it was very straight forward and lacked complexity.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle 1996 vintage. Small sample shared by Shaun, thanks a lot! The only regular offering by Cantillon that I've never tasted and my first very old lambic. I was surprised the fruit held up so well. If I had not known it was a raspberry lambic, I would have guessed it was a kriek. Cherries were more present than the raspberries but I could still spot them. The barnyard notes were more present than your usual Cantillon fruit lambic. Taste was mainly lemon, some raspberries again, one of the most sour beer I've had to date.
Very dry finish. It was a very good sample but somewhat hard to drink.

2.88/5  rDev -33%

Bottled January 20, 2010
750ml

Into a Founders snifter, pours a reddish pink with some orange highlights. Plenty of lively carbonation. 1 finger of pink bubbles.

Plenty of Cantillon signature funk. Smells really cheesy. Lots of strong barnyard smells- horseblanket, wet hay, some leather, oak, and something that smells similar to body odor.

First thing I notice in this beer is the acidity. Plenty of lemon, sour cherry, lots of oak, leather, and salt. Not tasting any raspberry- mostly sour cherry and cranberry. The lemon and the funk seem to be taking over the flavor profile. Very sour- makes my mouth pucker and salivate. Not complex either. Finish is dry and tannic.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with a lot of carbonation. Perhaps a little too much, in my opinion.

I would have liked to taste some raspberries. I know this beer isnt fresh but I did'nt think that the fruit flavor would fade in less than a year and a half. This beer definitely destroys your palate. Leaves a lingering sour taste that does not go away. It seems it would be difficult to taste anything else after drinking this beer. I needed to drink water in between sips. It is tough to finish off a 750ml. I might drink this again if I can find a fresh bottle, but as is, way too acidic.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Big rosy fizzy head, lacing, and a rosy pink reddish color with a bit of haze.

N: Light cork but not much, tart funk, Belgian fruit, fresh raspberries and sour rasp, light malts, light dry funk.

T: Nice sour fruit, tart raspberries, fresh rasp, crazy dry, tons of rasp, light tart funk and yeast, raspberries, cranberry, touch of sweet like taste but still dry, bit of acidity, then explosion of fresh rasp and cranberries. FInishes a bit funky and dry, a tartness, a bit acidic, flemmy too.

M: Medium bodied, good carb.

O: Great beer! Great sour fruit, tartness, plenty of raspberry and fruit explosions, nice dry finish and a nice light wild funk. Very underrated IMO.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

750ml bottle; Nude.

A- Pours a bright ruby color with darker ruby hues and 2 fingers of pink head that died to a light pink layer of head that remained for the entire drink, slight lacing but not much.

S- My mouth started to water the second I popped the cork and was hit with a wave of sour funk. In the glass there's more subdued mustiness. Both fresh, tart raspberry and sweet raspberry preserves.. Very tart and dry raspberry flavor that leaves your mouth watering before you take your first sip, it entices you to drink it.

T- Sour raspberry immediately then finishes with a huge dry hay/funk finish. As the beer warms the beer changes... overwhelming crisp sourness is replaced by funk.

M- Nice light body with loads of carbonation that cleanses the palate and leaves you wanting to drink more of this beer. My mouth is still watering after each sip. An excellent fruited lambic, much more sour and lambic-like than sweet and fruity.

D- Huge drinkability, could drink this all day and have no problem.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

2008 Vintage 750mL, poured in my Cantillon ballon stem.

A- Amber with a rosey hue to it, a little hazy. Poured a 1/2 inch head that quickly disappeared. Very little lacing.

S- Super Raspberry-e, Tartness, the cantillon funk, barnyard w/ a wine like nose.

T- whoa, super sour and funky. Big acid. after a few sips, the raspberries are really coming out! the barnyard carries through.

M- Pretty well balanced. I like this beer with this age on it.

Overall- I can't stop smelling this beer, I love the raspberries! Well Done!

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus from Brasserie Cantillon