Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros
jscondon

4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured this one slightly chilled (about 60F, yeah it was a little warmer than it should have been) out of a 750 bottle with a cork dated 2002. It had a slight reddish hue accompanied by minimal head, and it was a little cloudy due to a poor pour. There was more carbonation right out of the bottle than I expected, but the high temp probably was probably the cause. It smelled slightly of raspberries and a lot of earthy cork goodness. This beer hits the front of the pallet with a slightly sweet fruity flavor, foams up a bit, then cranks in the awesome sourness finishing very smooth and pleasant. In all this is a very nice beer that is complex and well balanced.

I like the Cantillon brews a ton so i am a little biased. But truth be told this is not their best one in my less than experienced opinion, I liked the Lou Pepe Framboise a little better than this offering.

01-03-2008 03:05:48 | More by jscondon
joe1510

12oz Capped & Corked
$5.99
Sam's Marcey

Bottled 2005

This bottle had zero pfft! when I pulled the cork. Rose de Gambrinus poured a pinkish hue with a flute full of bubbles. A small quarter finger fizzy head formed on the pour and quickly fell to a ring around the glass.

Aroma comes forward with musty raspberries just picked and under ripe. The sourness is evident when the smell curls your nose hair. There's a solid dose of barnyard, mostly musty hay.

Mouth puckering sourness up front is quickly followed by the barnyard mustiness and a slight touch of vinegar. The finish leaves a mouth puckering sourness in the form of tart raspberries with the slightest hint of sweetness. Good flavor.

Light body with a light refreshing mouthfeel. The sourness leaves you puckered up but as I swallow I salivate uncontrollably.

This beer actually goes down pretty easy for the intense sourness. Enjoyable for sure but a glass or two is enough for me.

I've sampled a couple lambics in the past but they were more of the sweet fruity variety. This is far from that but also enjoyable and a fun experience.

12-31-2007 22:43:36 | More by joe1510
goethean

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

Cork says: "2006"; served in december of '07 in a crystal thistle-glass. Beer has the appearance of carbonated cherry kool-aid.

Even to a connoisseur, this beer is shockingly sour, even vinegary. The acetic acid dominates to the point where the raspberry and funkiness was frankly lost on me.

I have always been told that this beer was a classic. I guess that that is true in the sense that classic literature are the books that no one reads. I'm not going to invest in another bottle until I have acquired a palate for it.

12-09-2007 02:04:49 | More by goethean
OStrungT

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

This beer pours a pinkish red color, with a thin slightly pink, off white head. The head fades quickly, leaving too few laces.

This beer has a funky, tart aroma. It has a mild fruity aroma. I smell some peach and raspberry. It has a very little spicy aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. It is sour, and tart upfront. Some Belgian funk flaovrs and some spices mix in. Also, I taste some fruit. Some apple, peach, and raspberry. It tastes sweet.

This beer leaves a sour fruit aftertaste. It is quite sweet. It is highly carbonated, well for the style.

I am not sure how well a session beer this would make. It is not high in alcohol, but it is very sour. It is good, just a little overbearing.

Overall: Great beer. It is hard to drink this style non stop, but I apreciate it when I can get my hands on one.

11-24-2007 04:16:08 | More by OStrungT
drpimento

Wisconsin

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured with a hazy pink tinged orange. Has light head a a bit of lace. Very aromatic with a hint of raspberries, lots of yeast, spice, and malt. Flavor is really tart with a bare suggestion of sweetness and some raspberry. Extremely tangy. Not a session beer. Sure wish I would have gone to the brewery in Brussels.

11-18-2007 23:04:55 | More by drpimento
Jacobob10

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Drank on 11.14.07, the unscrewed corked reads "Brasserie Cantillon Bruxelles Botteld in 2.006" Cool shit.

The head looked promising upon pouring, but unfortunately it immediately fizzed away without a trace left for the remainder of the beer. Absolutely beautiful color. Ruby red with some orange and peach colors, almost grapefruit juice colored. The aroma was musty and full of raspberries. Very sour taste at first like all Cantillons but nice and fruity at the end. Really makes you pucker, but I love it. Not as drinkable as some of the other Cantillon lambics, but still a very enjoyable and unique beer.

11-15-2007 12:56:41 | More by Jacobob10
Boto

Connecticut

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

12oz. 2003 bottle: This one pours a slightly red tinged amber color. It is hazy. There was a bit of a head on it when it was poured, but it fizzed away quickly. The aroma is sour and tart. A hint of raspberries to it. The taste is pretty much sucker-tart. A touch of raspberries in there. I like the tart ones, but this is a bit much for me.

11-14-2007 23:37:03 | More by Boto
brewdlyhooked13

3.45/5  rDev -19.4%

Appearance - pours an orange/mango color, very pretty. A thin cover of white bubbles at first, dropping quickly to an incomplete cover. Some lazy sediment despite decanting.

Aroma - definitely funky and sour smelling. For a style I don't care much for, it has my mouth-watering as a reflex, lol. Now *that's* conditioning!

Taste - hits the tip of the tongue with a very sour, lemony tartness. I have to hold the beer in-mouth for a few seconds and let is spread around to lessen the sour intensity. The funkiness is palatable, the tartness is mind puckering. While there is a keener sense of enjoyment for me with this style now, for the most part this is still going to be some work to finish. I will sip as I surf the net until the glass is dry. I'm liking the style more but still can't appreciate it's depth. I really can't taste any raspberry, but I'm enjoying the ride okay.

Mouthfeel - makes my mouth tingle. Much carbonation and a very pervasive flavor that is just all up in every pore of my mouth.

Drinkability - I wouldn't buy it again, but I'm happy to say I've tried it.

10-28-2007 06:09:18 | More by brewdlyhooked13
thierrynantes

France

4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Beer bottle (37,5 cl), tasted in 2002.
Appearance: pink-red colour, slightly disturbed, and sparkling little bit saturated.
Smell: distinguished aroma of raspberries, and fruit on the nose, without excessive sweetness.
Taste and mouthfeel: subtle fruity, very thin, dry and bitter. Excellent balance acidity / fruity.
Drinkability: Huge beer discover.

Review added 10-25-2007, translated from french 1-31-2008.

10-25-2007 19:48:50 | More by thierrynantes
BuckSpin

Maine

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Presentation: 12oz corked & capped bottle (bottling date of Feb. 7, 07') in (what else) a stemmed Cantillon goblet/chalice!

BAside: always cool to pair up a beer with the brewery's glassware. And Mrs. BuckSpin thinks the label is quite risque!

Uncorked with an almost comical & stereotypical "pop!" and poured smooth, straight and quietly. Nose is deep and just lush with overripe, fully bloomed raspberry, perhaps even too fully ripened as tart, funky, mildly rancid sweet tones pervade it. Some creamy, mild cheese and damp, August sourdough is just discernible as well. Its ironic the color, aside from being incredibly clouded and unable to see any background thru, reminds me of the warm flesh of a grapefruit in that some of those very qualities also carry thru to the nose - tart/sour and sweet, with some acidity. A thin excuse of a island like sheen floats inside a thin, delicate edge ring.

Whoa...now THAT is tart. Yowza! There probably hasn't been this much fruity funkiness in one place since "Mirrored Dance Floor Ball Retro Disco Night" in the Golden Gate area! Sharp and very angular with strong, rancid raspberry tones, its semi-dry and nicely crisp with an odd saltiness. This is definitely a sipper, and its getting less sour as it warms...either that or my sourbuds have OD'd! I think I would start with it less chilled next time.

It is showing more character & depth as it warms. The angular, sharp qualities noted earlier are more citric (lemon rind, immature orange flesh, grapefruit). There is a most peculiar, distant creaminess that acts like a buffer to all of the above. Can honestly say without hesitation that no beer with an ABV of 5% has ever commanded such attention and demanded to be sipped as slowly as Rosé here.

It gets even drier, bordering on arid, as it reaches the palate. Uber sharp & crisp, the rotting raspberries giving way to grapefruit as it finishes sour. tart, funky, yet still with lingering bittersweet fruit, leaving a pasty, coating, slightly salty and surprisingly delicate.

Definitely one of the most unique beers I've ever had. Acquiring an understanding and appreciation for lambic like this is going to take a while. I definitely picked up on some underlying structure & complexity as it warmed, but I am sure I missed a bunch as well. Oddly, I found myself thinking this would be spectacular with a oily fish like salmon, etc., especially if done with some citrus. I still debating on what cheese might work with it? My gut is a really gooey, soft, young rind cheese with some crackers or bread. If you like da funk, definitely check this out.

10-16-2007 01:20:43 | More by BuckSpin
KingG

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Vintage 2006 bottling.
750ML bottle served chilled and poured into my Tripel Karmeliet glass.

Appearance is good. Ruby red grapefruit colored brew with a pinkish-white, spotty soapy head.

Smell is exceptional. Huge aroma of fresh, tart raspberries, dry oak and sour funk.

Taste is very good. Starts with lemon and salt and finishes with tart raspberries and oak. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is very good. Lip-puckering tart. Gums and teeth are dry after every sip. Tongue's like leather. Acidic bite in the finish. After the swallow my mouth salivates and I'm ready for the punishment again. Medium-bodied with below-average carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. Addictive flavor that makes you come back for more.

Overall:
One of my favorite lambic brews and one i go to often after a big dinner when I'm too stuffed for a RIS. Highly recommended.

09-24-2007 04:38:14 | More by KingG
MurphysIrish

2.53/5  rDev -40.9%

Picked up this beer at my local, and very well-stocked, beer concern prior to traveling to Brussels this summer as I had planned to visit the brewery (Didn't happen. Not easy to do the beer mecca with woman and child in tow but we managed).

Anyway, poured into a tulip glass. Nice on the eyes with a reddish golden hazy pour with a head that dissipated almost immediately. The nose was very sour, as I had expected, but still way over the top.

I am glad that my first sip was a small one as the sourness completely overwhelmed any other flavor profile I could discern (this was supposed to have raspberry in it?)

It was like drinking a lemon. The beer did warm up to me the same way one feels after eating salt and vinegar potato chips for the first time. I kept going back to the glass, thinking to myself, "OK, was it *that* sour?" Yes. Yes it was. It took two hours for me to finish the bottle I could not imagine drinking this again.

This is a taste/preference thing for me. I've had some sourish ales and enjoyed them. Most everything I've had from Belgium was brilliant, but this is just too much for me.

09-16-2007 22:57:05 | More by MurphysIrish
weeare138

Appears a pinkish, rose colored amber with a small white head that quickly fizzles out into nothing. Pockets of chunky CO2 slowly rise to the top.
Smell is of wild yeast, tart raspberries, barnyard funk, oaky, and musty earth.
Taste is of sweet tarts with the mentioned aromas leading to a mouth puckering goodness up front. Taste is slightly vinous with a touch of vinegar coming through
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sweet, acidic, tart, oaky, and dry.

09-10-2007 14:06:39 | More by weeare138
illidurit

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Pours an opaque, strawberry-banana red with a very light pink head of 3 fingers. The head retracts with almost cola-like quickness.

Smells a bit like those huge orange vitamin C pills mixed with raspberry vinaigrette. Really sour and striking.

Outrageously tart. Acidic and sour but not really harsh. A bit of citrus and a bit of raspberry underpin the tartness. Sweetens a bit with warmth.

Bubbly and smooth, and drier than hell. Very well attenuated.

I have to give this a bit of a knock here, it's just so puckering and sour that it's not high on the drinkability scale like, for example, the schaerbeekse kriek. Still a great beer and another triumph by Cantillon.

08-13-2007 01:33:51 | More by illidurit
seaoflament

4.28/5  rDev 0%

This is my first lambic and my first Cantillon beer. So far I have not had a good experience with sour or funky beers so I am a bit apprehensive in drinking this one, but here I go.

I do love the fancy looking 12oz bottle. I like the label itself and the black foil on the top but I didn't know it had a cork, damn now I have to go find one of those thingies. The cork was starting to crack with the corkscrew so I had to use one of those pressure wine bottle openers. Big pop!!!

The beer pours a marvelous ripe strawberry color. There is some fizz and head which quickly falls to a very thin lace around my tulip glass. The aroma is when it starts to worry me again; it is sour, vinegary, wine-like, but the fresh raspberries save the beer in my opinion.

The first taste is lip-puckering sour, but a pleasant sour. The beer tastes almost like sour candy, I like it. I think this is a sour beer I can appreciate and enjoy. As the minutes pass by I am starting to enjoy this beer more.

I am not a big fan of these types of beers, but I have tried to review it for what it is and what it is supposed to represent, and I think it does a great job. The drinkability is good but this one is definitely a sipper and I don't think I could drink more than one in one sitting.

Now I might be more receptive in opening my Cantillon Kriek next.

***Update, March 3, 2009***

Thanks to Danny for sharing this gem at La Bella Pizza tonight, a 2000 year old bottle of Rose de Gambrinus!

Ok, I've never seen this before...as soon as we took off the cap the cork started to slowly rise our of the bottle by itself!

Pours an amber to golden color, very carbonated and a few inches of foam rise in the glass but just as quickly recede to a ring. Beautiful sight. (4.5)

A strange sweet raspberry and maple aroma, musty, cellar-like dust, a bit of kool-aid, some old lemons, dirty clothes, and rotten fruit. A little cheesy as it opens up, plastic aromas as well. Some red apple skins. And there's also an interesting sour blueberry and blackberry mixture. (4)

Almost indescribable first sip. Old, fermented, raspberry juice in the finish. Some blueberry, very acidic and dry, lemons, rotten fruit again, and salty. Even more dry with each sip. (4.5)

Very carbonated, almost a drawback. Some prickly feeling on the tongue, very sparkling and almost rough on the palate, but I loved it. (4.5)

Drinkability- Definitely a sipper but an enjoyable one. (4)

Not as amazing as that 1999 Cantillon Gueuze I had last month but still very amazing.

08-09-2007 05:17:26 | More by seaoflament
Westsidethreat

4.68/5  rDev +9.3%

A: Stellar looking watermelon Jolly Rancher color with a lot of haze to it. Head is fizzy but fitty for the style, leaving just a thin wash of pink tinted bubbles across the top of the body.

S: Citric acid, super dry hay, faint yet tart raspberries and minerals.

T: Begins tart across the tip of the tongue, but not overpowering. Really just the perfect amount of citric acid sourness to entice the drinker to continue on. Only a slight amount of sulfer mixes in offering a basic backdrop to counter the sourness. There’s a crystalline raspberry aspect to this lambic, makes it really snap with every sip. Has an over ripe lemon undertone running throughout the entire process. Finishes tart, tangy and delightful with quality pink grapefruit characteristics. Lip smacking good with sourness rimming the lips after every sip.

M: Thin body, sharp and spritzy.

D: This is maybe the best lambic on the market. Perfect balance with excellent drinkability. Superb.

07-14-2007 04:58:08 | More by Westsidethreat
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle, thanks to Lexx for picking this up!

Pours a hazed blood orange, thin fizzy white head, some lace spots, settles to a thin ring rather quickly. Smell is powerful, sweet, vinegar, raspberries, acidic, some barny funk, cherry/assorted fruits, very sour, nice. Taste is super sour and acidic, raspberries, funk, more funk and acidity, insane raspberry finish. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, high carbonation, smooth drink, super acidic, nice!

07-05-2007 03:29:49 | More by Viggo
jakon

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz. bottle purchased for $5.99 on 6-25-07 from New Seasons Orenco. Drawing of a shapely nude woman holding a glass of Gambrinus while sitting in a man's lap adorns the label. Date of 08-DEC-06 stamped on the back. Cork also says 2006.

Poured into a wine glass, this beer displays a gorgeous reddish-gold hue. I think it's glowing. Very bright. This looks like an extremely well-crafted beer. Not like juice at all, as some have commented. Did not pour much of a head, and I didn't care. The aroma is not suffering at all. I know exactly what I'm in for. The first sip will be extremely tart. Yep. Puckered me up to the point that I felt like I could send a stream of gleak a good 20 feet across the room. Definitely getting the Raspberry flavor, and it definitely belongs. It's just one component in a world class orchestra of sour funkiness. Like I said, there is nothing fruit-juicy about this. It is what I've come to expect from Cantillon. Nothing but the finest. I can only imagine all the hard work that goes into crafting such a great beer. IMO, it is well worth the price. I can't stop staring at the color of it. It's literally glowing in the glass. This beer is extremely refreshing. I found myself wondering what I could create in the kitchen with some of this. The possibilities seem endless. I wish I had a few cases to experiment with. And I wish there were more beers like this lining the beer shelves.

06-26-2007 12:03:33 | More by jakon
goochpunch

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Cork says 2005.

After having a time trying to uncork this (and having the cork partially break with each attempt) I finally poured it into my New Belgium bowl. Looks a mildly hazed and ruddied rosé wine with a whipped egg white head that quickly diminishes. Aroma is a little softer than I would imagine from Cantillon, but that's not to say this is some Lindemans product. Smells acidic and dry with musty, mossy attic. The character of a good lambic is all there, but the acidity is a little stage-shy, which works to allow the subtle fruit to come through in the nose. I taste a lot of acidity at first, but it is not very long-lasting. Wheat comes out a lot in the middle with lemon rind. Finishes very dry, but not completely so, as I get a far-away hint of sweet that accompanies the tart raspberry, which doesn't fully show itself until now. Although I know neither of these fruits were involved in this beer, but I can't help thinking I taste something resembling a mix of strawberry and banana. Mouthfeel feels slightly heavier than most lambics I've had, but that is not to say this is heavy. I think what I perceived as faint sweet in the flavor is what is giving this a little weight in the body. Carbonation is lively and effervescent. Very drinkable. Not a cloying sweet pseudo-lambic, nor is it absolutely bone-dry. Very interesting flavor.

06-24-2007 02:31:42 | More by goochpunch
klewis

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Bottled 2004
The woman on the label is naked. That's why I bought it.

A: Pours a caramel hue. No head at all, just some bubbles with lots of champagne-like carbonation clinging to the flute.

S: Strong farmhouse/dirty sock aroma with more subtle aromas of honey and raspberries.

T: Incredibly tart on the first sip. I don't think I've ever puckered that hard before. I'm detecting very little raspberry taste but rather a strong lemon and citrus flavor as well as they expected lambic funkiness.

M: Light-bodied with super fine carbonation. The sourness lingers quite a long time.

D: Very nice, but the tartness is a bit overwhelming, even for the style. I'm not one for sup[er fruity beers, but I find myself wanting more raspberry flavor.

06-19-2007 03:01:35 | More by klewis
scott

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

V.05
As the name suggests, a very light rose colored, champagne-esque headed darling, with tons of active carbonation. A lambic by nature, therefore lots of fun sour funk pair well with a fair amount of fruit. Very well balanced, and due to the carbonation, many meals will be complimented even though you will enjoy drinking this alone.
Highly recommended.

06-12-2007 02:24:58 | More by scott
Lexx

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Found this at a grocery store?! (Whole Foods in Lincoln Park, Chicago).

Pours a pinkish amber/orange color. Quite cloudy, clumpy white crown with thin veil right in the center.
The scent was mainly sour funk, white raspberries and a tiny bit of lemon and cranberry.
This really tasted a lot like lemonade. Lots of white raspberries in the finish, along with some slight bitterness. Quite sour, of course. Pretty enjoyable, but I think I had hyped it up too much.

05-26-2007 03:11:51 | More by Lexx
jsbrendle

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

A wonderful fruit lambic. Served from bottle into a small water goblet. Amber-pink color owing to use of fruit. White fizzy head that mounds up quickly then drops fast. Aroma is full of lambic "funk" and raspberry-vinegar sharpness, cherry flavor seems less dominant. Flavor is intense -- sour/tart, more "funk", quite puckering & nearly bone dry with some of the fruit flavors remaining. Perhaps a touch of "oak"? Body is light and fizzy. High carbonation levels wash across the tongue as a spray of bubbles on each sip. Refreshing in its way, but I think it unlikely that most people would drink too many of these in a row before the tartness would become overwhelming. Still far more accessible with the fruit flavors than a straight lambic.

04-23-2007 16:43:12 | More by jsbrendle
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: Poured a medium pink color lambic with a small foamy head with average retention and good lacing. Aroma of sour raspberries’with some light oak. Taste is a mix between some fresh and lightly sweet raspberries with some tart and sourness. I thought the acidity level was far less then the regular gueuze which is probably due to the presence of raspberries. Very refreshing and well done overall.

03-28-2007 19:48:17 | More by Phyl21ca
Phatz

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Much thanks to mac300 for brining this over to SkinnyElvis's place yesterday. What a treat to have a sour beer on hand =) You know that’s my thing. Thanks friend, I had my eye on this one too.

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus does have some similarities to the Cantillon Lou Pepe - Framboise I had on Thursday. They are not even remotely the same beer though. Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus is so remarkably unique even among the sours. It is somehow gentle in its boldness, like an iron fisted Lambic with a velvety soft raspberry glove on it.

Appearance: pours a gorgeous blush red color with a small but tight fizzy white head.

Smell: Tart raspberries reside in a very acidic nose. Some Lambic horse blanket funk. Boldly tart, boldly acidic. Brilliant!

Taste: Tart and acidic. Funky Lambic attribute leans toward raspberries and cherries wile in some hard to explain way, it never actually recedes in tartness it never turns sweet but it somehow mages never to go to the point of extremely cloyingly acidic though the vinegar is there. It skirts the line perfectly and has a bold pucker inducing finish but always remains friendly in its assertive sourness.

Mouthfeel: The creamy malt is toped with a heavily acidic sour tartness and a great long lasting feel on the cheeks.

Drinkability: If you like sour Lambic this is it. If you are looking for a fruity drink, run away. Somehow this is not quite either and some of both. Delicious and drinkable in my book.

Hope this is helpful.