Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer is one Ive been lusting after for quite some time. The color when poured is quite striking, a bit darker than a typical rose' wine, but still pink, with a 2 finger pinkish head that quickly dissapates leaving only a ring of white foam aorund the glass. The aroma is unquestionably funky, suprisingly not sour, and has only a hint of raspberries, and surprisingly strawberries. Describing the taste is difficult. The raspberry presense is quite assertive, but so is the brett funk and the acidity, it tastes beautiful. The mouthfeel is pleasent, fizzy and on the thin side, tannic on the sides of my tounge. I would drink a whole 750 of this any time i could get away with it.

Orangevango, Mar 18, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -2.6%

A - A very interesting pink hue as it piurs from the bottle. Once poured, it is a very light amber color with hints of pink throughout. An excellent looking beer. Very thin, fizzy foam layer on top quickly fades away. Leaves a ring of ubbles around the glass and light lacing throughout. I have no experince with the style, but from what I have read this is about how they are supposed to look.

S - Big sour aroma of fresh berries. Raspberry is definitely the dominant note. And did I mention sour? I somewhat light cider/vinegar aroma underneath as well.

T - Big wave of sourness up front. Mouth puckering...almost mouth hurting. The fruitiness provides ample balance though. Lots of raspberry and a little bit of cider in the taste. The sourness carries throughout, but by late drink it is more of a refreshing tartness. No real hop or malt tastes in this one. Just big fruity sourness.

M/D - Very clean and crisp feel. Very refreshing and easily drinkable. The sourness would make me question sitting down with 750ml for myself, but this 12oz bottle is excellent.

My first Lambic and I must say, it is quite enjoyable. Not a new favorite style or anything, but definitely something I will be looking for. Excellent stuff here.

ckeegan04, Feb 19, 2009

750 corked bottle, believed to be several years old.

A: Pours a murky pink, somewhere between the color of a spanish onion skin and pink grapefruit juice. Nice and bubbly but no head at all.

S: Nice and musky, sour brett aromas and grapfuit. Funky aromas of barnyard and grass.

T: Fairly sour, with the tartness of outshining whatever fruit was left. There's more sour citrus than any tastes that I could associate with raspberries

M: Light and refreshing, though mild carbonation. Tad grainy from the yeast. Essentially what you're looking for.

D: Cantillon lambics are just great sources. Not as sour as the Kriek but very good. I'll probably attempt to take the whole bottle down.

kasper, Jan 19, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

God this is awesome. It pours a clear pink color with almost no head whatsoever. The smells is intensely sour and tart. It is making my face hot and my mouth pucker...can't wait to taste it. This is easily the most sour beer I have had to date. It is more intense than one of those war head candies. You can pick up a little bit if raspberries, I suppose. Towards the end, once the tart flavors subside, you get an apparent barn and horse flavor. Which is nice. Awesome beer and addictingly sour.

Douglas14, Jan 14, 2009

750ml bottle.

Poured a reddish amber color with a smaller sized pinkish tinged head. Aromas of fruitiness and some barnyard funkiness. Sour cherry/raspberry tasting with some lighter funkiness. Nice mouth puckering finish.

Notes from and tasted on: 01/16/05.

hopdog, Jan 13, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

Big thanks to fishingnet

A: Pours a bright raspberry red hue, very clear with a little whitish pink head. Little retention and no lace.

S: Bold fresh raspberry aromas right from the start. Light sour notes with a bit of musty basement.

T: The raspberry flavor is really nice here. Very light with the sour raspberries bleding nicely with the Lambic qualities of the beer. Nice funk going on with a bit of crushed sweet tarts.

M: Very light and bubbly.

D: If you ask me few lambics are real drinkable. If I were to consume alot of one this may just be it.

tpd975, Jan 03, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

After the very disappointing Broucella, this restored my faith in Cantillon.

Pours a bright vivacious pink with frothy clumping of pink-white bubbles. Smell has sour raspberries on the nose with a bit of barnyard funk and a hint of vinegar-iness.

Taste is resplendently sour, with puckering sour raspberries, some funk (though the funk is muted by the fruit flavors), and a razor sharp biting acidic vinegar twang. This is a very, very sour beer. Lively mouthfeel. I'm forcing myself to drink slowly.

Overlord, Jan 02, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -23.5%

Reviewed on 8/4/08. 750 mL bottle, bottled in 2007. Pours a nice deep red with a small ring of light pink head. Aroma of sweet, tart raspberries. Some funk but mostly tartness/sweetness. Flavor is extremely tart and sour with a sweet raspberry finish. This is quite good, but it absolutely destroys your palate! Lots of lactobacillus and super acidic. Drinking this in small quantities is best. I enjoyed my first glass of this but it was very hard to drink and really wore on me by the end.
7/4/7/3/15 (3.6/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 23, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

On tap at the Hop Leaf, Chicago. $9 a goblet

Pours the expected, lightly bubble rosy color. A clouded pale body highlights the rose when backlit.

Light druity notes and carbonation off the nose. Just a little taste of the treat you are in for.

The prickle on the tongue is really quite pleasant. I was expecting a bit more sour out of this one, even to the point of slight unpleasantness, but this was a real treat. Just nice, full flavored, clear drinking in this one.

To have a gem like this on tap, I felt rather priveledged, and I would absolutely repeat the experience.

Side note: Bartender said this one moved very slow on the tap, that evidently many people are moved away by the price, or by the sour. Said it was mostly the bar staff that really knew the treat there.

ShareANevada, Dec 09, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

750ml bottle 2006 vintage. nice light pink-orange color, interesting. Smells slightly funky, hay, subtle. The flavor is more fruity lambic, sour and only once did I distinctly taste raspberry but it was like I bit into one. Other than that the raspberries were muted into a general fruitiness. I'd be interested in getting a fresher bottle to compare but I was not disappointed in this beer.

ArrogantB, Nov 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle dated 09/04/2007 into a snifter.

Appears a soft reddish orange, cloudy because I let a bit too much sediment in from the bottom in attempt to get every drop of the nectar. A half inch rose tinted white head holds up for a couple minutes then sinks down to a thin skim and ring.

Aroma is full of funk and sourness. The raspberry comes through nicely in a subtle way mixing with the funk. It seems like its trying to come across as sweet but the sour prevents it. A bit of old leather and tart green apples noted as well.

The taste is initially of sweet fruit mixed with a light sourness but that is quickly changed when right when you begin to swallow and it becomes almost intensely sour, but in a good way. Finishes is puckering with a nice funky linger.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, quite smooth with a creamy carbonation.

Overall I was very impressed with this, my first Cantillon beer. Not the most sour I have had, that would have to go to Beatification.

roadhouse, Nov 19, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

this one is right up my tree
i like rasberries, but i find most rasberry beers to be too sweet..

not this one.. it brings the funk and sourness that i have grown to LOOOVE from Cantillon

it pours about a shade lighter than rose

its just a nice fun, funky awesome beer with a little rasberry on the nose..
from what I gather this beer is a little hard to find and i will enjoy it and drink at least one everywhere i can find one

the only drawback.. its a little pricey, but hey thats Cantillon

def a great treat

gdfan47, Nov 10, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

I remember having this beer years ago and thinking that it was almost too sour for me. These days I think no such thing and think this beer is wonderful. This one is a 2007. Pours a beautiful ruby red with a pink head that fades quickly. Smells tart, but not overly acetic and with a nice backbone of light barnyard funkiness.
The taste is very nicely balanced between this light funkiness and rasperry tartness with a refreshing minerality throughout. Not as sharply sour in the mouthfeel as you might think, in fact there is a nice almost saltwater tafffy softness after the initial sourness. Very drinkable, and even better than I remember it.

Georgiabeer, Oct 28, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

750 champagne bottle with a 2007 cork date. Some difficulty in getting the cork out without actully pushing it back into the bottle. Immediately assaulted by scent of fresh sweet raspberry. Overwhelmingly pleasant, and no indicator of the tart monster within. Pour is a light copper, no sediment chunks, and a slight quickly dissipating head. A bit cloudy. Tart. No getting around it. This was my second beer from this brewery. Either my taste for sours has grown, or this is nowhere near the sour potency of their straight lambics. Regardless, it is still plenty sour, to the point of obscuring the raspberry, which continues to strongly assert itself in the aroma. A very pleasant combination. Hard to describe the mouthfeel as the sour taste is quite mouthwatering. Little carbonation and smooth body. Drinkability - not super high, but not a fault of the beer, and certainly good for the style. It is a sipper to be sure, but I had no difficulty finishing a the bottle. Very enjoyable and a beer I will definately revisit again.

Onibubba, Oct 22, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

From the Northcoast Coop this set me back a full $13.49 for 650 ml bottle. Poured a cloudy red with small off-white head and pink tinges on the bubbles. Nose is sour and clearly of raspberries. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth, and favor is a great sour note with raspberry sweetness backing it up. Simply sublime.

rkuhnel, Oct 04, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Small, corked and capped bottle; bottled 2005. Poured into a snifter.

It is a surprisingly clear (at least until you pour sediment, if you do) light red/pinkish beer, with a surprising effervescence that quickly rises to the top, and then rapidly goes away, taking the head with it, leaving no collar or lacing.
Aroma is funky, musty, vinegary, but also fruity, woody, raspberries more noticeable.
Medium in body and refreshing, but the pungent sourness and acidity make this into a sipper; a great one. Some fruity sweetness, funkiness and oakiness come and go, but the acidity and sourness dominate the flavors.
Very good, not sweet as expected for the 'lambic-fruit" denomination -this is the way it is supposed to be; a great contrast to Lindemans fruit lambics. Another great Cantillon.

brdc, Sep 25, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Pale, rose colored red. No head at all. Very few bubbles.

S: Raspberries, sweet smells, funky body odor smells, crazy lambic smells, this interesting to say the least. Spicy peppery notes as well.

T: Sour! This is a very sour, funky tasting beer, not overpowered by raspberries, lots of sour funky tastes. I can't really describe it any better. Very few fruit flavors in fact.

M: Thin. Nicely carbonated, and crisp. Very dry finish.

D: I don't think I could drink very many of these. One bottle is more than enough, but its interesting, a true lambic. A little on the funky side. To say the least.

pokesbeerdude, Sep 21, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

From a bottle I imported from Europe earlier this year (2008). Bought either in 2008 or 2007.

a - very much like a rosé wine. Clear (decently poured to separate dregs which were put in the bug circus), lots 'o bubbles, no head.

s - terribly acid, red fruit. Reminds me of a red fruit mead I made (not exactly a good association)

t - Cantillon! Cheek-sucking sour. Not much fruit. It's got an all-the-way-back-to-the-molars sour. Red fruit on the end. Again, a bit mead-y.

m - Very tart. Bubbles are plentiful and very small.

d - I love this stuff, but I think I prefer the Kreik to be honest. I could drink 2 of these I think, before the mouth sores would come...

jojox, Sep 19, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

The cork says this was bottled in 2008.

a: This was a reddish pink color with some peachy highlights. It poured with a fizzy light pink colored head that was fairly long lasting.

s: Musty aromas of apple cider vinegar with notes of smoky oak. The raspberries provide a sweet, almost sugary semblance of balance. As it warms some damp, decaying grain notes emerge.

t: This had dry, tart, and vinegary apple and to a lesser extent, raspberry flavors. There was a crisp and refreshing flowery, sour bite at the end. Sour beers are very difficult for me to describe. There is something else here I don't have words for.

m: The carbonation was fizzy and soda-pop like.

d: This was my first fruited lambic and I liked it. It wasn't as sharply sour as I expected. Overall it was delicious, surprisingly subdued and approachable.

DIM, Sep 17, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into red wine glass.

This is my 300th review, suggested in part by the good BAs on the forums, thanks!

First of all, WOW. This is not what I expected, but I suppose this is the more authentic side of fruit lambics compared to the Lindemanns that I've had so far.

A - A nice sunset color. Murky, peachy/orange/pink. A quick, small, fizzy head forms upon pouring but disappears completely. No lace. Expected considering the lambics I've had.

S - Cheese, rubber, leather, smoke. A little off-putting at first, but quite beautiful and unique as it breathes some. Very funky.

T - I don't quite know what to think. Much more sour than I would've imagined. The initial hit is a citrus rind sourness, like a very tart lemonade. The big cheese character comes next, like a smoked, aged, cheddar. There is a hint of the alleged raspberries hiding out, but nothing that makes itself overly known. The sourness sweeps in again with a leathery, funky bitterness. Finish is surprisingly clean considering.

M - Somewhere between light and medium with a good bit of carbonation. Seems suited to the beer, nothing that detracts.

D - Man, I got about half of the bottle into this wine glass, and I don't even know if I'll get to the rest of the bottle. This is some intense stuff. A nice change of pace, but a challenging beer to say the least.

PatrickJR, Sep 11, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

There are lesbos on the label!!....ya....

pours an orange-red color with a white head. the smell is sour! raspberries! sour! the taste is super sour! more sour raspberries!

Cantillon is a great brewery....this one is just an oddball....i'ld have to try it again because i dont believe that they actually made a beer that i thougt was just "OK"...

stumac, Sep 10, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

On Tap @monks cafe on 08/16/2008

Appearance: this poured a purple/red outta the tap, not would you normally see come from a beer tap. A brilliant ruby color with little to no head

Smell: earthy fruitiness, with hints of raspberry

Taste & Mouthfeel: Moderate body, crisp with a creamy malt in the back. Super tart with a balance of fruitiness and souring puckered acidity. Raspberries and earth pile on high with the tartness. Lots of citrus and lots of funky, musty, earthy, barnyard notes

Drinkability- even though i have had gueze's and lambics before this one still takes some getting used to even after a few sips. Esp. the 1st one that puckers your mouth up. I had this beer last at my trip to monks cafe, i great way to end the day

bonbini26, Aug 18, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Purchased a bottle of this at the Map Room in Chicago and served in a small tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy peach color, apparently the color of the beer is different from bottle to bottle the wild yeast used to make this beer results in something different each time (at least this is what I was told by one of the Map Room regulars). Its rather nice looking and leaves little room for head or lacing, perhaps because of the extreme acidity in the beer.

S: Unripe, read: bitter, raspberries coupled with a sour musty barn yard grassy character with just a hint of vinegar, much better than it sounds written here. Raspberry is the dominate aroma and is a joy to experience sour as it may be.

T/MF: Incredibly tart and sour to the point of puckering, I mean you can feel the back of your jaw muscles clenching as this beer passes the back of your tongue and slides down your throat. I wouldn't call the mouthfeel sticky, it feels that way but I think its because the beer is so tart is just sucks the wetness right off the tongue and just makees everything feel very dry. The taste, as tart as it is, is really very good, sour raspberry and a good amount of thick basementy grassyness compose most of the flavor profile of this beer.

D: Given a bit of time the intense tartness of the beer begins to wear on your pallate, I enjoy sours but after a while it becomes hard to work your way though an entire bottle of this stuff because it gives your tongue such an ungodly beating. Still a pretty damn fine beer all things considered.

bluemoonswoon, Aug 14, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a clear pink with brown highlights. The head is medium sized and off-white. Smell is of hay, and raspberries. Taste is quite tart, with sour raspberries comprising of the main flavor. There is also a hint of earthiness. No hop flavor or bitterness. I didn't taste any barnyard flavors. Mouthfeel is good, carbonation levels high. An interesting, tasty treat, though I wouldn't want more than a glass or two of this in one sitting because the tartness does get to you after awhile.

tronester, Aug 09, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -17.7%

Drank from a 1 PINT 9.40 FL. OZ. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
2007 vintage
Served in a flute

With all the beer bottle labels getting scrapped by the feds these days, I am surprised this one ever got through. Here we have an 18th century, noble looking figure groping a naked woman sitting on his lap. It appears as if she is drinking from a goblet of (what is presumably) Cantillon lambic. I know what I am getting for the lady next time she visits me!

As for the beer itself, it poured a brilliant, crystal clear, pinkish hued crimson color with a huge, bubbly, fizzy, light pink head that quickly dissipated to a thick, frothy ring.

The aroma was super funky. Barnyard-like and musty with an intense, berry-like sourness.

The taste was intensely sour and sharply acidic. Almost vinegar-like. Sour Patch Kids also came to mind. Ultra funky and musty. No noticeable raspberry flavor whatsoever. The sourness crescendoed in the very dry, oaky, long-lasting finish. Overall, not very complex for the style.

The mouthfeel was rather intense. Light and crisp on the palate with large bubbled, aggressive carbonation that was a bit distracting from the beer itself.

Of the various lambics and guezes I have tried, none can compete with the sourness and acidity found in this example. Although this beer was interesting, its sharpness was a bit overpowering, presumably masking some of the more complex oak, fruit and funk flavors hiding beneath the surface. This is an interesting and intense example of the style but probably not not one that I would revisit.

Damian, Aug 07, 2008