Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

pDev: 10%
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,949 | Reviews: 701
3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip. Bottled April 13, 2010 (six months ago).

Appearance: Bottle didn't gush at all, though there was a rather disgusting film of liquid between the cap and the cork. Free pour yields a one inch frothy light pink head that dissipates quickly leaving a few short lasting bits of lacing and a foam ring around the surface. Pours a clear pinkish red.

Smell: The cork has a strong, pungent, somewhat sickening balsamic vinegar aroma. It sticks around awhile after the cork is removed, though in the bottle there's an emerging acetic, effervescent smell that's lightly fruity. In the glass, once the terrible smell of the mild leakage up top has cleared away, there's a more expected vinegary funk, with some hints of raspberry and apple underneath. A bit of a strange copper smell going on. Some cheesiness. Not great, but not bad.

Taste: My first thought is that I shouldn't have worried about this beer being too young. Up front it's very sour, followed by a thick, musty brett funk, ending tart with a mild fruitiness in the background the whole time (may as well be raspberry, but it's not distinct). As I drink more, more definite fruit notes emerge up front; cherry, strawberry, raspberry. Further in it evens out to being mainly a smooth, creamy raspberry flavor along with mild sourness and mild funk.

My last thought is that maybe I should have worried about the beer's age. It has a decent amount of complexity, but it's perhaps a bit too watery and bland. The taste is good, but it's leaving me wishing that it were better.

Mouthfeel: Between light and medium bodied. Decent carbonation. Mouthfilling lactic sourness and a rather dry finish.

Drinkability: Like the taste, good but not great. If the overall raspberry/funk/sourness balance were more palatable in and of itself, I wouldn't mind the lack of complexity. As it is, I can't imagine being in the mood for a beer like this and grabbing this one instead of something else (probably something else by Cantillon).

While this is a solidly good lambic, it's not great, and you expect greatness from Cantillon. Another somewhat off aspect of this beer is that since the flavors aren't particularly well-meshed nor pleasant, it occasionally drinks like you're having a beer that was unintentionally and unfortunately spoiled. This sounds a bit harsher than my criticisms are felt, but even if the beer is good it should be said that it falls far short of what I expect from Cantillon (and what I expect from a $20 bottle of beer, for that matter).

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a 375 ml bottle into a flute glass. Cork says 2008.

A - Nice pink body with a pink tinted head.

S - Nice subtle raspberry flavor with a big funky sour nose. I think I'm gonna pucker after having this one.

T - Nice sweet raspberry flavor up front for half a second before getting annihilated with a nice funky sour flavor. Nice mix of fruit and sour though the sour notes definitely dominate. Finishes clean.

M - light to medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D - tough to drink fast because this thing is pretty sour. That being said this is a nice lambic. Gives you a nice fruit flavor but also brings the sour. I think I prefer the kriek but I will definitely pick this up again the next time I see it.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Another big thanks to Jim for the generous package

Pours a deep pink with a two finger head and no lacing.

The aroma is attic dry and musty. Notes of grapes and cherries and light raspberry. Some pear and and leather. Sunflower seeds. Typical impressive Cantillon aroma.

The flavor is nicely tart up front with light acidity in the finish. Some juicy pear and cherry/raspberry. A bit of shoe sole.

The body is medium and carbonation has a tiny bit of sting. The finish is not as dry as I would expect, there is a lingering juiciness that the fruit leaves behind.

Overall, just another fantastic beer from Cantillon. Immensely drinkable even compared to some of their other sours that I like better. Such a nice fruit profile that makes you want to reach for the glass over and over again. If I wanted a Cantillon Framboise I would definitely reach for Lou Pepe first, but nonetheless I would love to drink this often.

3.97/5  rDev -7.7%

375 mL bottle with a date of Feb 2007

A-After an epic struggle with a crumbling cork, pours a bright orange with a pinkish undertone. Poured into an Allagash flute. Standard pour yields a minimal head that quickly crashes to just a collar. Cloudy and hazy when held to the light. .

S-Sweet fruit with some acidity and barnyard funk being the most prominent. Not as funky as I had anticipated.

T-Fruit sweetness from the raspberries is perceived first, but is quickly followed by acidity and sharp tartness. Some lemon rind. The tartness competes with barnyard funk - some leather, horse blanket, and must. It finishes long and sour. Man is it sour. Compared to the RR sours I've had, this is really on a different level. The fruitiness is present but subdued - probably due to the age of the bottle. This really got better and better as it reached closer to room temperature. The flavors just continued to intensify.

M-Light texture and feel. Carbonation is on the low side; I had expected more carbonation, but it really didn't hurt my enjoyment.

D-Made for a superb nightcap. The 375 mL format was just perfect. I really didn't have an trouble finishing this, but I don't think I could do a 750 by myself. A nice fruit lambic, and given the price of these 375s, one I will certainly return to. I would really love to try this fresh to compare the fruitiness levels.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

2005 Vintage - 375ml green bottle - Foiled, Capped & Corked - Poured into my Cantillon stemware...really looking forward to this treat, my oldest Cantillon vintage to date...

Pours a somewhat pale orange/peach color, hazy and somewhat thick. A tiny spritzy white head forms and recedes to nothing very quickly, leaving just a tiny ring of white fiz on the edges - 4.0

Seems like time has taken away all the raspberry out of this beer. Aroma is initially just a solid lemony Gueuze, actually has a lot of similarity to their Classic Gueuze. Swirling it a bit in the glass opens up an almost overwhelming world of funk. Musty, like going into a deep, damp basement for the first time in years, where the smell and thickness of the air makes it hard to breathe for a minute...this is what happens when my nose is in the glass while agitating the beer a bit. Intense. If I ever talk about "barnyard" in the future, I will always reference this beer. The varying smells of this beer reminds me of all the time I spend in Wisconsin, farms around our lakehouse, fresh air & lake water, our dusty yet damp basement, leaves and nature. Oak. Incredible - 5.0

Holy shit! Pure lemon juice syrup. That is what I think of when I drink this beer. There is very little, if any carbonation, and the beer is thick, incredibly sour and acidic. Very dry and oaky. The beer coats every square inch of your mouth and throat with a thick, intense sourness that never lets go. It's giving me cottonmouth, worse than the "kind" gives me. I have to lick my teeth. Funky, earthy, did I mention sour? Dry? An intense experience, hard to describe and I can't even determine if I am enjoying it or not...what does this all mean? - 4.0

This beer is thick. It is still. It is sour as fuck. It puckers my bottom. It dries my mouth out like no other. It is unlike any lambic I have ever had - 3.5

Hard to finish the 375ml. My throat hurts. I love Cantillon, but this may be a bit too much for me!

===

2010 Vintage - 750ml green corked and capped bottle - Bottled January 20th, 2010 - Poured into my Cantillon stemware on February 15th, 2011...

Pours a beautiful ruby red, red & dark orange when held to the light. A nice amount of spritzy light pink head forms and quickly recedes, leaving a ring of haze behind - 5.0

This is probably the freshest I have ever tried Rose de Gambrinus and man does the fruit aspect shine when fresh! Delicious, juicy fresh raspberries fill the nose on the first few whiffs. The typical Cantillon funk shows up, but not as strongly as it does with a few more years to fester in the bottle. Musty and dry, with just a bit of that "summer in the country" earthy/farmy smell. This is a perfect smelling beer. Both fresh and with many years on it - 5.0

Fresh raspberries are plentiful in the first sip, almost juice-like before the pucker hits. Tart, more tart than other Cantillons when fresh. The middle of the drink becomes acidic and dry. The pucker is quick but intense. The fruit shows up again towards the finish, after the tartness loses its grip, but is quickly washed away by a dry and oaky finish with some lingering funk - 4.5

Medium bodied and highly carbonated. Spritzy, lively feel in the mouth. The acidity seems to give the beer a heavier feel, making it somewhat sticky. Tart, dry finish - 4.0

Definitely enjoyed the fresh version more-so than the 6 year old vintage, but they are both very good in their own right.

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%

750ml bottled on 16 June 2010, so this is a pretty fresh bottle.

A- A really nice, deep raspberry red. Its full hazed and just absolutely glows. The pink foam will rise up to a pretty big size but fade out hastily. No lacing.

S- Very funky. Not much sweetness at all. Lots of horsey, barnyardy stuff, hay dust, under ripe wild raspberries.

T- Very acidic. A strong sourness like wild raspberries and unripened berries. A strong lactic element makes this beer very cheesy. Finishes tart like unripe raspberries and wild greenery.

M- Strippingly acidic and sour with a very dry finish. Lighter bodied with a strong champagne style carbonation.

I think this beer would be better with age.

This beer in one word: Incipient.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

late 2009 vintage

The pour was revealed a reddish beer with pink tones and a large fluffy pink head that dissapated quickly, the head remeained around the glass on the edges for the entire glass. The nose was barnyard funk, lacto, raspberries and light cherries, quite sour smelling and quite delicious. The first sip was mouthpuckering sour. The flavors really start coming through once that first sour tart raspberry funk comes out on the palate. Funk, lacto, a little acteo, raspberries, cherries are all present on this dry and tart beer. The carbonation levels are nice. I feel like the body was slightly light on this bottle(not something I've noticed on the other bottles I had in the past), almost a little watery. I enjoy the tart tones that hang on the palate. Overall, this beer was a very nice, not as complex as some other fruit lambics but very good and worth seeking if one has not had it before

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

A - this beer pours a ruby red color with a rather large, fluffy pink head that settles rather quickly leaving some minimal and spotty lacing.
S- the smell on this is full of tart, sour red fruits (mainly raspberries and cherries). There is also a good amount of lacto funk present.
T- similar to the nose. Mainly tart, sour raspberries and cherries with a good dose of funk to it. Nice and tart.
M/D- light-medium bodied with good carbonation. Good funk character and pleasing to drink.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

375ml capped and corked bottle. Bottled 2008 indicated on the cork. Pours a pinkish-plum hue (reminds me of ruby grapefruit juice) with a loose, white head that dissipates into a slick of foam and a tight band around the edges of the glass. Nose is incredible - raspberries, salty, cork, acetic. In terms of the flavor profile, the raspberry character is much more in the background than in the foreground (as suggested by the nose). Also, fairly salty with a tart finish. Mouthfeel is light in body with a lively, almost champagne-like effervescence, and a semi-dry finish. While I haven't had too many from Cantillon, this has to be one of my favorites (behind Fou' Foune). I'd love to see what 3-5 years does to this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750mL corked and capped bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Bottled March 25th 2009.

(A)- Pours a hazy deep ruby red color that produced a huge effervescent pink head that dissipated quickly.

(S)- A big sour tartness with raspberries and cherries in front of a robust lactic acid funk & dry hay.

(T)- Very similar to the smell in every way. A potent dry tart sourness up front that puckers throughout the palate. A brief juicy raspberry fruit middle palate. Finishes just as sour with a bit of dry funk.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Very sour and tart with just the right amount of funk. Would like to see more fruits come through, but its there.

(D)- A soild take on the style. Sour as hell; might be even more sour than some of their other offerings. This is one to have as fresh as possible I think; the fruits have become rather muted.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

From 08/21/10 notes. Had at Monk's Cafe in Philly.

a - Pours a ruby red color, with no head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of tart raspberries and cherries, and sour dark fruits. Also some funk to it. Very enjoyable.

t - Tastes of sour, sour cherries, raspberries, and other dark fruit, with a hint of funk. Also some wine and earthy tones to it.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - Overall I really enjoyed this lambic and it is one of the best beers I've had from Cantillon. Would love to try again.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

2010 cork, 750ml generously shared by cbutova, thus ending a streak of beer epicness. (Also have had a 2-year old 2009 bottle, which pretty much matched this review)

Pours a dark but see-through red. Pink head is small but retains well for a lambic.

Mostly just that nice signature Cantillon funk in the scent with the fruit drifting in the background.

Like the smell, raspberries seem to be the very slight backbone to a good dose of funky, funky funk. More of a sweaty gym sock/armpit funk than a barnyard/horse kind of funk. Very musty. A little one-note for me, not much complexity.

Mouthfeel has a nice creaminess compared to other Cantillons I've had, leaves my lips and teeth covered in sour film.

It was fun to compare this to 2006 Lou Pepe Framboise from last night, this is MUCH less sour and the raspberries are much weaker (I prefered the Lou Pepe.) Probably the most drinkable Cantillon I've had so far but lacking in the flavor and complexity. I'll buy one to age, interested to see how it would turn out.

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

2010 bottle, "fresh".

A- Dark red, pure red. Impressive pink cap builds and retains better than I see with most lambics and wild ales. A great cloud and ring leave some fine lace.

S- Very strong aroma and very funky. Sour fruit behind the funk along with some vine and acetic notes. Smell this one across the room.

T- Starts out with high fruit notes (raspberry), tartness, fruit sugar. Finishes with lots of vine/wine notes and gets very acetic. The funk makes itself known more and more as the experience goes on. Could use more raspberry truthfully.

MF- Creamy, light body with lower carbonation than many lambics. Sour level builds up to the point of a burnt throat and cheeks. Nice and dry.

DB- Another solid lambic. The funk is nice, haven't had this much since the Kriek. Dry, like other Cantillons. Really gets very acidic, to the point where your throat feels burnt, split it with at least one other person.

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%

A 375mL bottle that was brewed in 2006 and bottled in 2008. Poured into my champagne flute.

The color is a pink-lightened brick red highlighted around the edges by orange hues. The body is translucent and hazy. Tiny thin streams of bubbles move upward and feed the thin ring of foam that sticks to the sides of my flute on the surface of my beer.

The aroma is a huge wild funk coupled with a nice pleasant raspberry sourness in from of a biscuity grainy backbone. There is also a slight acidity that begins to creep in at the end. The taste is a bit more intense. Slightly sour in the front, the raspberries come through nicely and give a great fruity base. Then the raspberry begins to develop into a funky fruitiness that is accompanied nicely by acidic notes and earthy and woody tannins. It finishes with a covert sourness that seems light, but leaves the enamel on my teeth tingling as it erodes my esophagus.

Tart and fruity balanced by a nice funk initally, Rose de Gambrinus rapidly becomes a very sour lambic that is merely highlighted by fruity berry notes. The finish is dry and very sour with an earthy aftertaste. The acidity really starts to get me as I finish my half of the bottle, but it is so well done that I don't really feel alienated by it. This beer speaks for itself. Cantillon is spot on with another offering. Go figure.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle. Cork says bottled in 2010 so this is a very "fresh" bottle. Pours a beautiful vibrant, slightly opaque reddish brown color with a nice pinkish hued head. Very fruit smelling! Love the raspberry aroma coming from this one. Slight traditional lambic funky notes as well but by far the fruit is dominant. The taste is very good. Tart and sweet raspberry flavors coupled with a nice carbonation makes for a very good taste. Again the fruit is dominant but the classic lambic funkiness makes itself present after the fruity flavors. Just an outstanding beer in my opinion. And for $15.99/bottle, a pretty good deal too!

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 2005

Appearance: Pours slightly cloudy copper colored with little head and carbonation.

Smell: Hints of acetic acid (vinegary) with hints light fruits, not overly aromatic but with such little carbonation I'm not overly surprised.

Taste: First few sips are very tart with sweetness up front and dryness in the backbone. The next few sips are more fruity. Light raspberries and white grapes. The vinegary taste slowly fades and the fruits come out as the palate adjusts and the beer warms. Throughout the whole glass is a classic wild funk thats reminiscent of a musky old basement that's been flooded a few times.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and dry. Leaves the mouth a bit puckery after drank.

Drinkability: Overall pretty balanced between sour and fruity for a 5 year old lambic. The "horseblanket", which I like to think of as a muskiness, really enhances the whole experience. Definitely a winner and a stake in the ground for raspberry lambics.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a pinkish/red with an inch of head on top of it. The head dissipates quickly leaving a soapy looking trail of foam. There is some clarity through the middle of the beer but it is mostly murky. Although the head is relatively sparse, it recurs easily as I lift my glass and place it back down on the table

S: Smells of a funky sweetness with lots of berry esters. There are faint scents of barnyard on the finishing note.

T: Very tart, like a white wine, with lots of raspberry flavor up front. As the tartness washes away you are left with a little bit of an earthy/barnyard funk. I enjoy the way the flavor makes my mouth water at the end of each sip.

M: On the initial sip this is a very carbonated mouth like a glass of champagne. As the carbonation settles the body is then very slick and slippery. The combination, give this beer a refreshing and easy drinking feel.

D: This is a delicious lambic and easy to drink at only 5% abv. If you can handle the tartness and the slight touch of funk this is a very enjoyable beer.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into my CCB snifter...

This one pours a dark pinkish with a very active head that settles to a ring... Very cloudy and murky...

Tart raspberries and a funky yeastiness mingle nicely here and have my mouth watering for this... It smells great... Not overpowering with the raspberries but just tinged with enough to keep me interested...

Very tart rasberries right up front that turn into a nice sour mouth-puckering finish that lingers long after the sip is gone... Not as much funk as I was hoping for but this was bottled last year so it probably hasn't developed yet. Its still damn tasty... Not overly sweet either.. Very nicely done... Wonderfully carbonated mouthfeel that seems to disappear down the throat...

Even though this ones delicious, one bottle would do it for me... The sourness would get to me after that and make this one difficult to handle after a while...

Overall a very nicely done brew that I'm glad I can get locally now...

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from the bottle into a Tulip. I wish I could have used my flute but it had a rather unfortunate encounter with gravity.

Hey friends, I am back. Yay!

To start with this beer I feel like we must begin at the label itself. The picture above is of an older label (I assume) and a much more "pg" version at that. The current label has two people totally boning on it. That's called attention getting. I don't know if Draper would approve. The art leads my immature mind to many many cheap childish jokes which I I'll try my best to refrain from using.

I had a little problem drilling into the cork, I created such a mess that I felt like I was BP. Luckily for me none of the cork fell into my beer. The pour of this beer is ridiculously pretty. The head swelled up quickly in a rush of red juices, it quickly rose to a climax then sadly resided, ruining the moment for everyone involved. A thin layer of head stayed around my glass the entire time, but there wasn't any lacing. The look of the beer itself is a bright, gorgeous rosemary; it looks very wine like. The scent is rather faint, but once you really stick your nose in it you get this flowery, raspberry scent that's quite lovely. I also get some sort of 'muskiness' in the scent, a slightly earthy note of contrast. The taste is good, but to be honest I was expecting more, considering this is a real lambic, unlike what I've previously had. I like it, this raspberry, citrusy, tart flavor, but for the ten dollars - I dunno. It drinks easily, however the alcohol is noticeable, so I'm drinking it in gulps. I appreciate the presence of the alcohol in this as it adds another flavor to accompany the raspberry and keep it from being overwhelming. I enjoyed the beer, but for ten dollars I don't know if I'd pick it up again. If you like lambics, buy it drink it, maybe call it again.

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Bottled in 2009

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. A large, fizzy, pink head forms at first, but quickly fades away, leaving only a beautiful, raspberry red body with small carbonation rising to the top.

Earthy raspberries with straw and hay notes on the nose. Some herbal mustiness as well. On the sweet side.

Lots of raspberries in this one with some nice mouth puckering sourness. Smooth cheese and a bit of hay as well. Definitely a good raspberry lambic, but not quite as complex as other Cantillon offerings. However, the raspberries do come through quite well.

Mouthfeel is spritzy with a smooth, slightly cheesy/creamy body. Nice sourness, more than I would have guessed.

Drinkability is pretty good. I definitely like the sourness in this one, but it is a bit on the sweet side and seems to be lacking some of the complexity that other Cantillon offerings have. That being said this is still a tasty lambic and the raspberries are front and center. I think I might pick up another bottle to cellar. This might be more interesting with a few more years on it.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

A-Pours hazy, raspberry red with a frothy pink-white head that has great retention. A little bit of sticky lacing.

S-Very tart, with a nice earthy funk and vinegar sour notes. A little bit of fruit comes through but mostly this is straiht up lambic.

T-Raspberry is much more dominant in the flavor. Don't get me wrong. This is still a real lambic not Lindeman's Framboise, but the sweet fruit cuts the vinegar presence very nicely. This leads to a nicely balanced flavor.

M-Light bodied, medium carbonation. Nice long finish on the tongue.

D-This is about as a drinkable as a sour gets. Very approachable and sessionable.

HV

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Pours a strawberry jelly color with a pink frothy head that fades rather quickly leaving almost no lacing.

Smell is sweet with raspberry whiffs mixed in.

Taste is tart, dry, musty like being in an abandoned barn during a rain storm (true story) if you could taste that scent. Raspberry notes blend in and add a nice balance. I'm loving this beer, I find it to be more rounded, for a Cantillon beer, than others such as the kriek. How fortunate I am to live so close to such a great brewery.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

A 2008 From the king of lambics...

Beautiful booming pink, crisp carbonation holding an even thin head - didn't lose any pop in the two years it has been aging.

The nose is so fruity and sharp, like a mixed fruit salad drizzled with a balsamic reduction. Lots of sweetness.

The taste is more tart than I expected, but most rasberry-infused lambics probably overdo the fruit. At least that's what I believe now, because if Cantillon makes it, it's the benchmark for the style as far as I'm concerned.

Going to crack a Lindemann's now, to scoff a little.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

From a 750 ml green magnum, capped and corked. Pours out a rich opaque ruby, fizzy pink head that settles quickly.

Tart, sharp aroma, raspberry is present but not intense.

All the rumours were true about that first puckering sip of a Cantillon. The sour lactic acidity dominates the flavour, an earthy barn yard character near the finish, while the raspberries become apparent in the aftertaste already.

Effervescent and spritzy mouthfeel, puckering and sticky on the finish.

As far as lambics go this is quite clean, the quality is certainly present. Still not a favourite style of mine, but I can respect it for what it is.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Never tried a Cantillon before. I like raspberries, let's give it a go.

A-Pours pink. Light bubbly head that evaporates quickly. Looks like a white zinfandel. Pretty classy looking.

S-My nose is not accustomed to lambics but I'm oddly intrigued. Funky and earthy. Very enticing.

T-Different...But delicious. Tart, sour raspberry. Sweetness battles the tartness but the tartness wins out. Sassy.

M-Bubbles. Very light. Crisp.

D-Damn drinkable. I could drink many but wouldn't want to because the taste is too good for gluttony. The low alcohol content makes this sour beauty remarkably refreshing.

Definitely have to try more of these guys.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus from Brasserie Cantillon