Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

12/29/2006 $12.99 750 mL 5.00% Brewed in 2006 printed on cork.

Appearance:

Pours a lovely ruby pink color that is hazed, and shining with a peach hue when held to the light. A faint rim of pink fuzz tops this one off, but settles quickly.

Aroma:

Sharp tart and acidic, with fresh notes of ripe raspberry and loads of barnyard funk.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Round chewy mouthfeel coupled with a mouth blistering tartness and overwhelming fruit acidity. This is a definite palate cleanser. Saliva flows in uncontrolled bursts after just a sip or two of this one. Classic funk flavor is present due to the uncontrolled fermentation, but it is cut through nicely by the fresh (though unsweet) fruit flavors of the raspberries. A well crafted and highly enjoyable beer.

cbl2, Dec 29, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: An interesting color - lightly hazed nectarine skin blush-orange, with a fizzy head that barely forms.

Smell: Sour, with acetic, citric, and floral notes; orange, oroblanco, honey, and quinine come to mind. The raspberries are understated, like a subtle perfume. Mild barnyard notes rest on top of the sour base.

Taste: Bracingly sour, lemon juicy with a light essence of raspberry and hard apple cider. Dry with hardly any residual sweetness, but light malts do provide a vaguely husky backbone.

Mouthfeel: Sparkly with small bubbles, sharp and puckering, especially in the finish. It matches the flavor well, but I'm afraid I can't rate it very highly because after a while it actually becomes physically painful on the back of the throat.

Drinkability: This is good, but too sour to enjoy in large quantities, in my opinion. A 750 ml was too much, even split between two people.

soulgrowl, Dec 26, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

Rose de Gambrinus is my first real lambic. I've had the fruit lambics from Brouwerij De Troch (Chapeau), Brouwerij Van Steenberge (Cherish) and Brouwerij Lindemans. As I understand it though, those aren't considered to be anywhere near the big leagues. I feel like a newbie again. The best thing to do then is to plunge right in.

Bottled in 2004. What an interesting color. The beer is a sort of peachy red near the top of the Champagne flute, orangish amber in the center and full amber near the tapering bottom. I love the layers; the beer almost looks like a pousse cafe. The whitish cap was light and fizzy, lasting a minute at most. Ultimately, there's a thin, broken film of the surface of the liquid and no lace.

The nose smells a little like raspberry cider vinegar. I'm glad the berries are present to give a hint of something familiar. If this is what high quality lambics smell like, then I'm not a huge fan. Maybe I'll get used to them in time and will even grow to like them, but I'm not there yet. I hope that last sentence doesn't apply to the flavor as well.

My first mouthful was pretty much what I expected: a big, dizzying blast of intensely sour, mouthpuckering acidity with a hint of unripe berries. While I can't say that I love it, I do like it quite a bit. I can see how lambics are an acquired taste and I can see how they aren't everyone's cup of tea. They're certainly going to take some getting used to.

I wish that I had some frame of reference, something to compare it to, but I'm left with pure free association. Unripe raspberries, Sauvignon Blanc, balsamic vinaigrette, wood. That's all the free association I can muster, you'll have to pay for the rest. Only kidding. I'm far from well versed enough in beer of this style to make a serious attempt at breaking Rose down with any sort of skill.

Ditto the mouthfeel. It's light and crisp, which is probably exactly what it's supposed to be. I like the fact that the beer isn't overly fizzy, like Champagne. There's enough going on in the mouth that I don't need crazy-ass bubbles firing all over the damn place. Sorry, you'll have to look elsewhere for a professional description of the mouthfeel. At least now I have one in the 'lambic bank' as a means of comparison.

I'm glad that I didn't spend a pile of cash on the big bottle of Rose de Gambrinus. I like it just fine and feel like it was a good choice to get me started, but I wouldn't have wanted to drink 750 ml of it in one sitting. This is a style that I'm going to have to sneak up on. I look forward to a rewarding journey.

BuckeyeNation, Dec 16, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

Alright, not only is Cantillon Rose going to be the victim of my introduction to lambics, but also of my virginal beer review. Anyways, off we go.

Appearance: Poured into a La Chouffe tulip. Almost no head, and what head there was immediately went away. Color is a beautiful pinkish amber.

Aroma: I can smell this beer as soon as I open the bottle. After pouring, I realize that this is certainly one of the most aromatic beers I have had, not necessarily for complexity, but just for strength. There is a definite fruity tartness, with a slightly musty, though not unpleasant aroma. This must ends up being about the only other thing that makes me think that this is actually a beer.

Wow. This does not taste like beer. Somewhere between wine, sparkling cider and a Warhead (but in a good way). I can't even compare this to other beers that I have had. The closest thing is wine or champagne, and I really don't know much about those. The fruity tartness arrives in your mouth with some motherfucking bells on. I faintly taste the raspberries at first, but they are like slightly unripe berries. In fact, it would probably better compare to the alcoholic version of some really, really good grapefruit juice, with berries mixed in. I cannot taste the alcohol, but at only 5% ABV, I wasn't really expecting to.

Mouthfeel is sort of like a dry wine, same bitterness, but somehow smoother.

Drinkability/Overall: I am very intrigued. This is not something that I would drink everyday (at least not now) but I will certainly try some more lambics in the future, especilly some unblended ones to see what a more pure style is like. But even if I came to truly love this beer, i couldn't see myself drinking more than 2 (maybe 3) a night.

robertmitchum, Dec 13, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

Bottled 2005. Consumed November 2006.

Pours a very interesting shade of red; almost a tomato red, with orange hues casting throughout the glass.

Smells like red wine, but more subdued. Sulfur and vinegar smells are prevalent, with some lovely fruit aroma lurking underneath. From cherry to apple to raspberry the beer shifts, providing an amazing experience from the aroma alone. Head and lacing were very minimal at first, but increased at the beer warmed and I poured my second and third glasses. The mouthfeel was a bit watery.

This is my first bottle of Cantillon, and despite the knowledge I had going in, I was not at all prepared. First taste is extremely puckering. This is one tart and sour beer. Once you get past the initial shock, you can start to appreciate everything that makes a lambic what it is. The flavor is very raw...much like a Saison in that regard. The musty flavors are present, but relatively muted overall. The fruit flavors aren't strong, but they are still quite noticable; they compliment the character of the beer quite well. The grapes give a dramatic sense of dryness, but at the same time I wouldn't really call this a dry beer.

For better or worse, this was an eye-opening experience, much like my very first craft beer and my very first Belgian. This is the sort of beer that expands your mind as to what beer can be, and what beer can do to you. This bottle was certainly a bit green and certainly not the best I'll ever have, but I will always remember it as it was my first true lambic.

jhollick, Dec 12, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -42.2%

I've had other fraboise before, but this one didn't do much for me. It seemed to taste like very little to me, and I felt that it would have benefited from signficantly more fruit character.

The color is a cloudy brown. If you take Bud Light, throw in a handful of skittles, and wait; you'll get the same color (don't ask me how I know this, but trust me; it is not a recent experience). Not attractive. Not at all red like other framboise I've tried.

This beer smells slightly sweet, and smells a lot like champagne.

The taste is sour on the tip of my tongue, but otherwise not very flavorful. I expected more fruitiness from a framboise.

BeerBelcher, Dec 09, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured out of the bottle into a wine glass a pinkish almost grapefruity colored red with a nice white head with pink highlights.
The nose is filled with grassy hay, sour vinegar, white wine, and a touch of sweet fruit.
Big tartness up front, white vinegar, sour grape and there are some barnyardy flavors that I recognize that are similiar to a traditional saisons with the tail end of this beer consisting of some nice fruit flavors, mainly rasberry.
Nice and light on the palate, nice carbonation that helps cut through appropirate food pairings.
Considering that this is a very tart beer, its complex, light, and pretty easy to drink considering the style. I paired my glass with a mixed green salad with walnuts, goat cheese, apples, and a rasberry vinegarette. This is a very nice lambic I will certainly be visiting again.

Matthew, Nov 23, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -12.6%

750ml corked and capped with a foil topper. After a struggle with the cork I poured this into a gobblet. It forms a pink head that falls to zero. Carbonation is fine and aggressive. Pink/Red body.

Puckered me right up the pole on my first drink wheeeew boy. Don't judge it on that though as like other lambics and guezes you tend to get used to it and the beer grows on ya as it warms.

This is not ultra funky but rather balanced in that the barnyard horseblanket effect is mellow and welcomed. Brewed in February of 2005 this has almost two years under its belt and my first instinct tells me this could use two more. Quite tart and full of cranberry goodness. The body is light and crisp. It finishes up dry and with some earthy tone to it. Not the best I've had from Cantillon but still tasty.

Notes: This is a tart one and without any challenger in the picture it was a bit much. The body is rather thin and overall a bit dissapointing. Good, not great.

DogFood11, Nov 15, 2006

After having the Saint Lamvinus I know that Cantillon was a very special brewery and I had very high expectations comming in to this beer. And they were met on all levels. If you are not a fan of sour candies, tart citrus flavors etc. then this might not be the beer for you. But if you do enjoy the above mentioned things, then you might get a kick out of this one. The beer poured very smoothe and created a light amber color with hints of pink and a nice pinkish foamy head around the top. A very unique and beautiful pour. The smell was nice and musty with hints of hay, citrus and a dryness that can only be described as gueuze-like. The flavror was outstanding with a very good sour punch in the front, light malt sweetness in the middle and tart raspberries in the finnish. The perfect sour flavor lingers in your mouth and there is no other way to describe it other than perfection. Another winner from Cantillon!

Dmann, Nov 02, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -18.4%

After hearing a few folks rave about this – and being a bit put off by the high price tag – I finally received a bottle of this lambic for my birthday.

Quite the interesting label, and slightly different from the one pictured here: seems the lady on this particular bottle has lost her dress, which made for quite a few interesting comments from those who saw the bottle in the fridge;)

The color is a very lovely, very cloudy reddish with golden orange undertones. The color reminds me ever so slightly of freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice, as does the aroma. The reviewer who mentioned the presence of “barnyard funk” nailed it.

Big, sour taste, again more like grapefruit than raspberry, but then again, this is more like champagne than beer. Mouthfeel is smooth at first, with a sparkling dry finish.

I’m glad for the opportunity to taste and review this lambic, though I can honestly say its not one I’d likely try again. Still, for what it is, and compared to others I’ve sampled of this style, it’s quite a beauty.

TheLiterati, Oct 28, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

375ml bottle bought from www.onlyfinebeer.co.uk... bottled in 2003 according to the cork...

Poured a pale coppery orange colour with the slightest tinge of pink... Slightly off white head poured quite foamy but disappeared instantly... fair amount of carbonation bubbles to the surface... no lacing at all..

Aroma - Strong tart fruits (very light raspberries, some cherries, lemons, light apples), champagne notes, some light almond hints, strong lambic mustiness, wet hay notes, grassy, dusty notes, very earthy, no malts or hops that i could make out, peppery...

Taste – Very tart fruits (strong lemon notes, light raspberries and cherries, grapefruits), some vinegary notes, strong lambic brett notes, light nutty hints, farmhouse cider traces.... the faintest sweetness emerges after a few sips...

Feel - Very sharp and dry - mouth puckeringly so... pretty refreshing but probably couldn't drink more than one in a sitting...

Overall - An excellent lambic... probably not for everyone but definitely recommended...

mdagnew, Sep 25, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured a slightly pink tinged brown in color. Eseentially flat in appearance. Just a tad murky but still fairly clear. Nose was fairly mild and I only picked up slight traces of the sourness.

I was not prepared for the first sip it was so sour. After I adjusted I realized it was actually pretty decent. It improved more as the beer caught up to room temperature too. Raspberries bring a nice, slight sweetness that provides a bit of a balance to all the sourness. Light mouthfeel that really brought out this beer's puckering ability.

MuddyFeet, Sep 13, 2006

Cork indicates 2003 bottle.

Pours a murky peach amber topped with a light bubbly cap that instantly deflates to nothing, not so much as a collar.

Pungent aromas rise to the nose without an effort. Earthy musty pungent and floral scents of a lilac and lemon juice dominate the nose.

First swigs: Tart sour superlative with a touch of chery in with the lemon juice. Crisp pucker with an acidic feel that deceptively coats the tongue.

Thin feel with tight crisp carbonation. Linger of sizzly tart lemonade.

blitheringidiot, Sep 09, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

The beer poured into the chalice clear rose with a white and effervescent head which lasted but an instant to flash away.

The aroma was fruity with a lambic tartness that contained a grapeskin and seed character. An oak presence was notable with a light fruit character that summonded thoughts of cherries and raspberries.

The flavor was tart with a lightly bready flavor. The tartness was not intense but did contain more of the grapeskin and seed character. In the middle of the flavor the fruit was apparent, but still somewhere between cherries and raspberries. As the beer contacted the palate it was tart, then fruit, followed closely by a drying and grape character.

The finish was dry with a lightly tart fruity character into the aftertaste. The body was medium and the carbonation was fairly high. A nice lambic, not too tart, not too fruity.

12 ounce bottle, corked and capped.

GCBrewingCo, Sep 05, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured out of a capped and corked bottle. Love the artwork on all of Cantillon's beers, espically this one. The beer pours a hazy pink color with a three finger pinkish white head that settles to a film as the beer sits. The smell is dominated by the usual lambic barnyard funk smell with a hint of rasberries. The taste is great. The acidity puckers up the mouth and allows the rasberry taste to set in as the mouth tightens up around the tongue. Great mouth with a good carbination. One of the shinning examples of a true lambic.

gosurfobx, Sep 02, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

served at pizza paradiso in gtown

mmmm...sour. my first cantillon and i'm in love, though i must say that i might not have been able to drink more than one of these consecutively

it's fizzy and pink—though with amber tendencies (dear god, please do not taste like lindeman's framboise). the raspberry aroma is big and accompanied by some sourness. i can almost taste the seeds

oh man this shit is sour. holy moly...the aroma did not suffficiently prepare me. so sour. frickin' awesome. it's super dry and the raspberry doesn't actually offer much flavor (at least not nearly as much as it did aroma)

it's not a complex brew, but i doubt that's part of the plan. damn tasty

bruachan, Aug 21, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10%

Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus
Bottled in 2005
12 oz green bottle with cork and tin foil wrapping
Served in a Duck Walk vineyard champagne flute

Pours a light pink with a cloudy backdrop. A thin lacing appears around the top.

Fruity nose with accents of rasberries, cherries and a touch of lemon. Whiffs of an earthy funk underneath it all.

Sour, acidic and ripe up front with the ultimate rasberry tartness. Earthy, raw and funky flavors with a hint of oak and wood. Finishes extremely dry on the palate with a touch of vinegar. The Rose de Gambrinus strikes the perfect chord of any lambic I've tried yet.

There is so much depth and character in this beer that after each sip, I'm eager to go back in for another sample. Pure quality, exceptionally drinkable and strongly recommended.

Hibernator, Aug 16, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle Inspection: Opened for me by Jean Van Roy himself at the brewery after I presented him with a bottle of Shakespeare Stout to show appreciation for his work. It had no label.

Aroma: Light vinegar, sour with a tart fruit (strawberry) and rose petal. I got a light hint of gunpowder as well… very odd.

Appearance: Pale red, almost orange, gentle haze and no head

Flavor: Classic sour punch is more of a gentle slap compared to the other Cantillon beers I have tried. The main sour Lambic taste (that is soaked into the walls of this place) actually had a sweet note which I can only describe as strawberry skin.

Mouthfeel: Shockingly dry with a lasting thin coat, Cantillon classic.

Overall Impression: Tart, citric, dry, but refreshing! I guess you don’t get any fresher, and I’m thinking that was the major differences in this bottle and experience for me. I’ll have to try a bottle here in the states and compare.

HardTarget, Aug 15, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a bright, glowing, bubbly pinkish peach color, slightly hazed, with a dying white head. Beautiful color.

Faint aroma, but magnificent. Subtly sweet, fresh picked raspberries... uncanny.

This beer begins with a tingle on the front of the tongue; brisk carbonation. This gives way to a brief flash of tart, sweet raspberry flavor, which is quickly overwhelmed by intensely sour vinegar flavor. Puckeringly dry. A woodiness lingers on the palate and gradually fades away. Lively light body. Somehow, even though I found the degree of sourness rather unpleasant, this beer beckoned for me to drink more.

I found this beer extremely interesting, but difficult to handle. I guess I'm not ready. Also, I'm not sure if this beer was in the best shape, since it was a $6.99 closeout from a mostly malt-liquor type of store.

akahn, Jul 25, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass, carefully leaving the sediment behind, as per the instructions on the label.
Poured a deep rose color with a thin lace that became a swirled lace that remained for most of the drink.
The smell was of tart sourness with a background of raspberry.
The up-front sourness was quickly taken over by fresh, crisp raspberries in a champagne-like texture. With each sip, the tartness was balanced by raspeberries that seem that they were just picked.
It left a clean, crisp raspberry tartness in the mouth, but as the drink went on, a dryness was left that was akin to the dryness left by a fine, dry champagne.
This is a fine "sipping" treat, so long as you are really in the mood for raspberries - a classic of the style.

jwc215, Jul 05, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

2004 bottling.
Peachy amber, topped with a fizzy, quickly dissipating white head. Good clarity. Smells of lambic funk and tart raspberries. Persistent mousy scent, underscored with bretty, aspirin bitterness. The flavor opens with basement-like funk, layered masterfully with sweetish raspberry fruitiness. Moldy, with horsey, mouse den notes. A hint of stilton and swiss cheese, moving into a raspberry and funky tart finish with restrained brett chewing-on-an-aspirin bitterness. Not quite as sour as some of the real punishing lambics from these fine folks, more of a juicy study on artisanal fruit lambic, without the sugary fruit syrup crap you get in some "lambics". Raspberry keeps presence throughout, transforming with the wandering flavors. Medium bodied, mellower carbonation, very dry in the finish with plenty of acidity in the stomach. Excellent again.

UnionMade, Jul 04, 2006

The beer pours a hazy red color with a 1/2" pinkish head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has an intensely sour scent along with a mild raspberry aroma. The taste is good. It's very sour tasting, but quite enjoyable. It has a raspberry taste, but nothing too intense. It goes down with ease and finishes tart; very tart. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good lambic. I still prefer a fruitier, less tart flavor, but this was very enjoyable.

WesWes, Jun 26, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

I bought this tonight at Downtown Wine and Spirits because I've been in the mood for sour Lambics and Flanders Red Ales after having Lou Pepe Kriek at The Belgian Room. I cooled this to about 50ºF and served it in one of by New Belgium snifters.

Appearance: Pours a nice hazy rose color with amber tints. Thin wispy bubbles form upon pouring, but dissipate quickly.

Smell: Sour lambic aroma, funky wet blanket aroma, and hints of raspberries.

Taste: Light sweetness is evident upfront and in the center. Fruity flavors emerge in the center and mingle with funky earthy flavors. Wow, the finish is intensely sour. Really, really, really sour.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, light-bodied, smooth, and very dry in the finish.

Drinkability: I can see the sourness being way too much for some, but even if you enjoy the sourness this is a beer to sip.

Overall: A very nice, very authentic lambic. Enjoyable and well worth the $14 I paid for the bottle.

EPICAC, Jun 05, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Deep pink grapefruit color, cloudy, not much head, light carbonation visible. Aroma is strong and tangy, a mix of fruit with notes of raspberry, cherry, and citrus. Taste begins with a subtle floral flavor and soon carries a nice sourness. Sour cherry, apple, raspberry, are all present, though each not that distinctly as it's hard to distinguish any dominant flavor. The finish yields a dry tang with an earthy flavor. Alcohol is not detectable. Mouthfeel is quite light and sparkly. I was rather impressed by this lambic and found it very drinkable.

bennetj17, Jun 02, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours with an initially immense fizzy head that, within seconds, falls to nothingness. The color is a shadowy yet intense pink, with endless large bubbles drifting throughout the liquid. The smell is enticing and mesmerizing. Berries and barnyards dominate the smell. Wet hay and funky fruit. You can smell the acidity, which wakes up your nose just a bit. It’s definitely raspberry. The taste is unabashedly dry. Dry with mouth-puckering sourness and lots of fruit flavor. Drinking this is an adventure. The bottle holds lots of different flavors and experiences. I love the funk and excitement of a good lambic, and this is one of the best I’ve had.

Suds, May 28, 2006