Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

pDev: 10%
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros
4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

From 08/21/10 notes. Had at Monk's Cafe in Philly.

a - Pours a ruby red color, with no head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of tart raspberries and cherries, and sour dark fruits. Also some funk to it. Very enjoyable.

t - Tastes of sour, sour cherries, raspberries, and other dark fruit, with a hint of funk. Also some wine and earthy tones to it.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - Overall I really enjoyed this lambic and it is one of the best beers I've had from Cantillon. Would love to try again.

3.85/5  rDev -10.5%

2010 cork, 750ml generously shared by cbutova, thus ending a streak of beer epicness. (Also have had a 2-year old 2009 bottle, which pretty much matched this review)

Pours a dark but see-through red. Pink head is small but retains well for a lambic.

Mostly just that nice signature Cantillon funk in the scent with the fruit drifting in the background.

Like the smell, raspberries seem to be the very slight backbone to a good dose of funky, funky funk. More of a sweaty gym sock/armpit funk than a barnyard/horse kind of funk. Very musty. A little one-note for me, not much complexity.

Mouthfeel has a nice creaminess compared to other Cantillons I've had, leaves my lips and teeth covered in sour film.

It was fun to compare this to 2006 Lou Pepe Framboise from last night, this is MUCH less sour and the raspberries are much weaker (I prefered the Lou Pepe.) Probably the most drinkable Cantillon I've had so far but lacking in the flavor and complexity. I'll buy one to age, interested to see how it would turn out.

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

2010 bottle, "fresh".

A- Dark red, pure red. Impressive pink cap builds and retains better than I see with most lambics and wild ales. A great cloud and ring leave some fine lace.

S- Very strong aroma and very funky. Sour fruit behind the funk along with some vine and acetic notes. Smell this one across the room.

T- Starts out with high fruit notes (raspberry), tartness, fruit sugar. Finishes with lots of vine/wine notes and gets very acetic. The funk makes itself known more and more as the experience goes on. Could use more raspberry truthfully.

MF- Creamy, light body with lower carbonation than many lambics. Sour level builds up to the point of a burnt throat and cheeks. Nice and dry.

DB- Another solid lambic. The funk is nice, haven't had this much since the Kriek. Dry, like other Cantillons. Really gets very acidic, to the point where your throat feels burnt, split it with at least one other person.

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%

A 375mL bottle that was brewed in 2006 and bottled in 2008. Poured into my champagne flute.

The color is a pink-lightened brick red highlighted around the edges by orange hues. The body is translucent and hazy. Tiny thin streams of bubbles move upward and feed the thin ring of foam that sticks to the sides of my flute on the surface of my beer.

The aroma is a huge wild funk coupled with a nice pleasant raspberry sourness in from of a biscuity grainy backbone. There is also a slight acidity that begins to creep in at the end. The taste is a bit more intense. Slightly sour in the front, the raspberries come through nicely and give a great fruity base. Then the raspberry begins to develop into a funky fruitiness that is accompanied nicely by acidic notes and earthy and woody tannins. It finishes with a covert sourness that seems light, but leaves the enamel on my teeth tingling as it erodes my esophagus.

Tart and fruity balanced by a nice funk initally, Rose de Gambrinus rapidly becomes a very sour lambic that is merely highlighted by fruity berry notes. The finish is dry and very sour with an earthy aftertaste. The acidity really starts to get me as I finish my half of the bottle, but it is so well done that I don't really feel alienated by it. This beer speaks for itself. Cantillon is spot on with another offering. Go figure.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle. Cork says bottled in 2010 so this is a very "fresh" bottle. Pours a beautiful vibrant, slightly opaque reddish brown color with a nice pinkish hued head. Very fruit smelling! Love the raspberry aroma coming from this one. Slight traditional lambic funky notes as well but by far the fruit is dominant. The taste is very good. Tart and sweet raspberry flavors coupled with a nice carbonation makes for a very good taste. Again the fruit is dominant but the classic lambic funkiness makes itself present after the fruity flavors. Just an outstanding beer in my opinion. And for $15.99/bottle, a pretty good deal too!

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 2005

Appearance: Pours slightly cloudy copper colored with little head and carbonation.

Smell: Hints of acetic acid (vinegary) with hints light fruits, not overly aromatic but with such little carbonation I'm not overly surprised.

Taste: First few sips are very tart with sweetness up front and dryness in the backbone. The next few sips are more fruity. Light raspberries and white grapes. The vinegary taste slowly fades and the fruits come out as the palate adjusts and the beer warms. Throughout the whole glass is a classic wild funk thats reminiscent of a musky old basement that's been flooded a few times.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and dry. Leaves the mouth a bit puckery after drank.

Drinkability: Overall pretty balanced between sour and fruity for a 5 year old lambic. The "horseblanket", which I like to think of as a muskiness, really enhances the whole experience. Definitely a winner and a stake in the ground for raspberry lambics.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a pinkish/red with an inch of head on top of it. The head dissipates quickly leaving a soapy looking trail of foam. There is some clarity through the middle of the beer but it is mostly murky. Although the head is relatively sparse, it recurs easily as I lift my glass and place it back down on the table

S: Smells of a funky sweetness with lots of berry esters. There are faint scents of barnyard on the finishing note.

T: Very tart, like a white wine, with lots of raspberry flavor up front. As the tartness washes away you are left with a little bit of an earthy/barnyard funk. I enjoy the way the flavor makes my mouth water at the end of each sip.

M: On the initial sip this is a very carbonated mouth like a glass of champagne. As the carbonation settles the body is then very slick and slippery. The combination, give this beer a refreshing and easy drinking feel.

D: This is a delicious lambic and easy to drink at only 5% abv. If you can handle the tartness and the slight touch of funk this is a very enjoyable beer.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into my CCB snifter...

This one pours a dark pinkish with a very active head that settles to a ring... Very cloudy and murky...

Tart raspberries and a funky yeastiness mingle nicely here and have my mouth watering for this... It smells great... Not overpowering with the raspberries but just tinged with enough to keep me interested...

Very tart rasberries right up front that turn into a nice sour mouth-puckering finish that lingers long after the sip is gone... Not as much funk as I was hoping for but this was bottled last year so it probably hasn't developed yet. Its still damn tasty... Not overly sweet either.. Very nicely done... Wonderfully carbonated mouthfeel that seems to disappear down the throat...

Even though this ones delicious, one bottle would do it for me... The sourness would get to me after that and make this one difficult to handle after a while...

Overall a very nicely done brew that I'm glad I can get locally now...

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from the bottle into a Tulip. I wish I could have used my flute but it had a rather unfortunate encounter with gravity.

Hey friends, I am back. Yay!

To start with this beer I feel like we must begin at the label itself. The picture above is of an older label (I assume) and a much more "pg" version at that. The current label has two people totally boning on it. That's called attention getting. I don't know if Draper would approve. The art leads my immature mind to many many cheap childish jokes which I I'll try my best to refrain from using.

I had a little problem drilling into the cork, I created such a mess that I felt like I was BP. Luckily for me none of the cork fell into my beer. The pour of this beer is ridiculously pretty. The head swelled up quickly in a rush of red juices, it quickly rose to a climax then sadly resided, ruining the moment for everyone involved. A thin layer of head stayed around my glass the entire time, but there wasn't any lacing. The look of the beer itself is a bright, gorgeous rosemary; it looks very wine like. The scent is rather faint, but once you really stick your nose in it you get this flowery, raspberry scent that's quite lovely. I also get some sort of 'muskiness' in the scent, a slightly earthy note of contrast. The taste is good, but to be honest I was expecting more, considering this is a real lambic, unlike what I've previously had. I like it, this raspberry, citrusy, tart flavor, but for the ten dollars - I dunno. It drinks easily, however the alcohol is noticeable, so I'm drinking it in gulps. I appreciate the presence of the alcohol in this as it adds another flavor to accompany the raspberry and keep it from being overwhelming. I enjoyed the beer, but for ten dollars I don't know if I'd pick it up again. If you like lambics, buy it drink it, maybe call it again.

3.7/5  rDev -14%

Bottled in 2009

Poured into a Hill Farmstead tasting glass. A large, fizzy, pink head forms at first, but quickly fades away, leaving only a beautiful, raspberry red body with small carbonation rising to the top.

Earthy raspberries with straw and hay notes on the nose. Some herbal mustiness as well. On the sweet side.

Lots of raspberries in this one with some nice mouth puckering sourness. Smooth cheese and a bit of hay as well. Definitely a good raspberry lambic, but not quite as complex as other Cantillon offerings. However, the raspberries do come through quite well.

Mouthfeel is spritzy with a smooth, slightly cheesy/creamy body. Nice sourness, more than I would have guessed.

Drinkability is pretty good. I definitely like the sourness in this one, but it is a bit on the sweet side and seems to be lacking some of the complexity that other Cantillon offerings have. That being said this is still a tasty lambic and the raspberries are front and center. I think I might pick up another bottle to cellar. This might be more interesting with a few more years on it.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

A-Pours hazy, raspberry red with a frothy pink-white head that has great retention. A little bit of sticky lacing.

S-Very tart, with a nice earthy funk and vinegar sour notes. A little bit of fruit comes through but mostly this is straiht up lambic.

T-Raspberry is much more dominant in the flavor. Don't get me wrong. This is still a real lambic not Lindeman's Framboise, but the sweet fruit cuts the vinegar presence very nicely. This leads to a nicely balanced flavor.

M-Light bodied, medium carbonation. Nice long finish on the tongue.

D-This is about as a drinkable as a sour gets. Very approachable and sessionable.

HV

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Pours a strawberry jelly color with a pink frothy head that fades rather quickly leaving almost no lacing.

Smell is sweet with raspberry whiffs mixed in.

Taste is tart, dry, musty like being in an abandoned barn during a rain storm (true story) if you could taste that scent. Raspberry notes blend in and add a nice balance. I'm loving this beer, I find it to be more rounded, for a Cantillon beer, than others such as the kriek. How fortunate I am to live so close to such a great brewery.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

A 2008 From the king of lambics...

Beautiful booming pink, crisp carbonation holding an even thin head - didn't lose any pop in the two years it has been aging.

The nose is so fruity and sharp, like a mixed fruit salad drizzled with a balsamic reduction. Lots of sweetness.

The taste is more tart than I expected, but most rasberry-infused lambics probably overdo the fruit. At least that's what I believe now, because if Cantillon makes it, it's the benchmark for the style as far as I'm concerned.

Going to crack a Lindemann's now, to scoff a little.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

From a 750 ml green magnum, capped and corked. Pours out a rich opaque ruby, fizzy pink head that settles quickly.

Tart, sharp aroma, raspberry is present but not intense.

All the rumours were true about that first puckering sip of a Cantillon. The sour lactic acidity dominates the flavour, an earthy barn yard character near the finish, while the raspberries become apparent in the aftertaste already.

Effervescent and spritzy mouthfeel, puckering and sticky on the finish.

As far as lambics go this is quite clean, the quality is certainly present. Still not a favourite style of mine, but I can respect it for what it is.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Never tried a Cantillon before. I like raspberries, let's give it a go.

A-Pours pink. Light bubbly head that evaporates quickly. Looks like a white zinfandel. Pretty classy looking.

S-My nose is not accustomed to lambics but I'm oddly intrigued. Funky and earthy. Very enticing.

T-Different...But delicious. Tart, sour raspberry. Sweetness battles the tartness but the tartness wins out. Sassy.

M-Bubbles. Very light. Crisp.

D-Damn drinkable. I could drink many but wouldn't want to because the taste is too good for gluttony. The low alcohol content makes this sour beauty remarkably refreshing.

Definitely have to try more of these guys.

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%

375ml corked & capped bottle from my 2010 visit to Cantillon in Brussels poured into a wine glass as they do at the brewery.

This is a beautiful beer, I gave my girlfriend a sip and she said, "Is this a beer, or wine?". It's a nice rosy red that's ever so hazy - in the same way that Fort has a bit of haze. It's got a nice pink head that quickly turns into a pink ring around the edge. The nose is of fresh raspberries and tart candy, it's a bit sweet and very refreshing.

The first thing you get is a tart bite at the tip of your tongue, reminiscent of a sour candy, as it moves through your mouth you get some nice sharp carbonation, then the raspberries come through. I enjoy a nice traditional Gueuze, but adding this fruit really makes this beer a stand out. There is that signature Cantillon funk that you find nowhere else. I can see this beer being perfect on a fall evening, or on a hot night like this.

I know this doesn't get as much attention as Fou'Foune or some of their other fruit lambics, but this is a stand out, a bit less tart than the Kreik so it's more approachable and a bit more refreshing. If you're looking to get into sours I'd say this is a perfect place to start.

Also, I've got to give some extra notice to the bottle - I don't know what's going on in this picture but it's pretty funny!

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pretty pinkish brown body, light pink head that leaves pretty fast. Not much cling lace.

S - Sour, but a little seawater brine, looking for a crab here.

T - Tart, sweet, nice. I like it

M - Light bodied, good carb, pretty well balanced.

D - One is enough for me.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: oddly difficult to tell it's pink, with its murky amber tone and orangey-rose tint

S: funky and flowery, sweet at the end

T: deliciously tart, with a mild berry finish

M: the bubbles dance, making this quite a lip-licker

D: I'd love to have this every day ... imagine my delight when I saw this on the chalkboard tap list. My first time having Cantillon Rosé de Gambrinus on draught!

Notes from 02.14.10 at Akkurat in Stockholm

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Cork indicates that this beer was bottled in 2008. Poured into a wine glass as directed by the bottle.

Appearance: Dull (as in not bright) and hazy reddish purple color with a nice pink head that disappears by the time I'm finished observing appearance. No lacing.

Smell: Tart raspberries with an odd sweet tinge to it. Some underlying funkiness and green apples that I recognize from the classic gueuze comes through as well.

Taste: An overwhelmingly fantastic tartness fades to that same classic gueuze taste that I don't quite have the words for, lingers there before finishing with the raspberries. It took me until my second or third sip to work through everything else and get to the raspberries, but once I did it was wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, sourness that takes over my facial muscles the first sip or two, and a dry and fantastic finish.

Drinkability: I couldn't necessarily drink a large quantity of this, but if you gave me a 750 mL bottle I could spend an entire evening enjoying it to the last drop.

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

2010 bottling

A: Dark red body. Small fizzy pink head. Only a touch of lacing.

S: Sour raspberries. A bit of natural fruity sweetness. A light funky must.

T: Nice soft raspberry flavor. Not particularly potent, but a nice acidic sourness prevails. A light mustiness rounds things out.

M: Medium bodied. Gentle carbonation. Lingering sourness that does not escalate to the point of puckering.

D: Certainly better than the artificially sweetened framboise on the market, but not quite as refined and delicious as the Lou Pepe Framboise.

4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Rose de Gambrinus expresses great ( i think near perfect) balance between sweet and sour. Rustic barnyardiness dances with sweet raspberry and tart raspberry with a touch of earth and spice in the nose. Taste is acetic at first, which seems to open up my taste buds to receive the essence of the place it was made and the fruit it was made with. A wonderfully expressive beer with a medium body that is supremely refreshing. The balance here seems to be natural as well. Lambics can be too sweet (especially when they are targeted at the American market) and sometimes too sour. This is a gentle and elegant example of one of the most intriguing styles of beer available. Highly recommended.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

A: The pour is a clear dark pink color with a minimal head with a light pink tint.

S: Plenty of raspberries with a slight acetic note to the nose. Lots of lactic acidity as well, along with a less funky aroma than most other Cantillon beers.

T: Lots of berry flavor with some tannic seed and skin contribution. A delicate balance between the acetic and lactic acids with the edge going to the vinegar. Plenty tart and only mildly musty and funky.

M: A low to moderate carbonation with a very sharp and aggressive sourness. The finish is dry and puckering.

D: Not my favorite Cantillon beer, but I blame that on the raspberries. Still, one of the classics.

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%

750ml bottle shared at woodshop 5.1

Poured a pinkish red with a nic thin bubbly head that left a little sticky lacing. Big acidic sour aromas with slight vinegar, barrel funk, and citrus accents. Really no sign of the raspberries on the nose. Very nice mouth puckering sour flavors which consisted of acidic citrus, slight vinegar, oak barrel, barnyard funk and very faint raspberries peep through the sour ingredients. The beer was medium body with a fair amount of carbonation that had a great sweet but very sour and dry finish. lovely sour cantillon signature beer that always makes me happy to have it. I will always enjoy the rose.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

thanks to brent for sharing this! vintage 1997 bottle.

pours light reddish orange with a nice fizzy head. light lacing and light retention.

very sour and very dry up front. light funk hidden beneath.

this was massively sour. everything else was more or less hidden behind this sour bomb. lots of lemon and vinegar through out. in the finish was a nice light dry raspberry flavor. i stress that it was very light.

bone dry... not only lip puckering sour but bone dry. very carbonated as well.

this was amazing. the raspberry had faded heavily but this was amazing. i would drink the hell out of this all day, every day.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange-ish pink, capped by a creamy one finger white head. Retention is moderate, with some lacing being left behind.

S: Upon being poured, a strong vinegary tartness was dominant but it really opens up after a few minutes. Raspberries come right to the front with a light sweetness that gives way to moderate tartness. A mild funk lurks in the background, serving as a secondary wild note behind the acidity. Some very light vanilla comes through along with a hint of oak.

T: Strong sour notes up front develop into mouthpuckering sourness early in the sip, before dialing back to allow the rest of the beer to shine through. Raspberries come through with some light sweetness instantly cutting the early acidity, followed by some citrus notes. Barnyard funk comes in at a moderate level along with oak, before a dry and light funky finish.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to high carbonation, remains light on the tongue with some slight prickly sensations at times.

D: Call me masochistic, but I love the strong sour notes. Perhaps not Cantillon's best, but getting through a 750ml is no trouble and I would have no objections to diving into another.

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus from Brasserie Cantillon