Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

750ml Bottle corked and capped from Vendome in North Hollywood $18.99.

A: Pored into a tulip glass. Pours a bright cherry red with a thin pink head that recedes quickly. If I could taste it with my eyes I am going to say this is going to be very fruity.

S: Raspberries, strawberries, vinegar

T: SOUR, I thought this was going to be more fruity judging by the look and smell. Starts with a taste of raspberries and vinegar with aftertaste that keeps getting more sour, and endures for a long time.

M: Very well balanced and sophisticated lambic, feels great in mouth, mouth puckers an enjoyable pucker

D: It's a sipper, but each sip invites another that's for sure.

LaPeste, May 01, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a bright red with a nice white head that receeded quickly. No lacing on the glass. Almost looks like a glass of cranberry ginger ale or some sort of red soda.

I get some raspberry from the nose of this, but not quite the hit I was expecting. It's a little bit hidden and blended. Definitely pick up some nice funk from the lambic.

Only one thing to say about this one -- just give me a second until my mouth unpuckers before I say it.... WOW. By far the most sour beer I have tasted. Really wakes you up a little, but it is almost a challenge to swirl this one around in your mouth for more than a split second. The instant reaction is to just swallow as fast as possible. The aftertaste is nice and reveals some of the complexity, but the initial bite is a little overboard. Very interesting and absolutely worth a shot if you like lambics.

I'll definitely be coming back to this one, but for now, I'm going to work on finishing this bottle -- it may take a little while.

Bcaulin, Apr 25, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

pour is nice with a decent head. reddish clear with an off pink head. citrus headline with a very musky odor of old straw. the smell of stale wood accompanied by grassy fruit and a crispy watery fruit quality thanks to the citrus note. taste is goaty with a citrus fruit. raspberry is both acidic and earthy mellowing out the finish as a bit less aggressive. flowery nature is there. lavender and water locust. a bit of pomegranate tart but i don't' think that was an option. fantastic, musky, fruit, not as flowery as a gueze for example, but still quite refreshing.

rtepiak, Apr 21, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a 375ml bottle with the trademark saucy label that got them in trouble in the States, I'm told. The drinking experience might be closer to a straight 5, had you a naked woman on your lap like the bloke in the picture, but my girlfriend took one smell and locked herself in the bedroom.

Pours a picturesque reddish amber with around a finger of head, which disappers after less than a minute. Suitably ephemeral.

A sour, fruity and vagely medicinal smell emanates from the glass, but it's not at all overpowering and I'm not getting any of the poo notes I keep hearing about (and have experienced with the same brewery's Lou Pepe). Something cidery as well, and something I'm having a hard time placing, but I'd hesitate to call it "barnyard-y". Intriguing.

A big whack of sourness right up front, but I wouldn't say mouth-puckering. It's possible I'm just getting used to the style, though. A friend who was drinking with me at the time spit a little on his shirt. Raspberry pips & stems, sour lemon candy,
some vague hint of washed-rind cheese. Not even a little sweet and no hops, but interesting and well-balanced in spite of it. Light to medium bodied with smooth carbonation. Not as dry a finish as you'd expect.

It's almost unfair to rate these beers on drinkability - once you get used to them they're endlessly refreshing, but 375ml is easily enough and takes a while to drink. I might be able to drink more if I had it with food - a goat cheese omelette might be just the thing. Either way, I really like all the lambics I've tried, and this is right up there.

Parrotshake, Apr 03, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -2.6%

Served in a chalice, poured from a 12 oz. corked bottle.

A - Bright translucent red with a very fine collar of bubbles around the edge.

S - subtle raspberry and weak vinegar aroma. Not as funky as other lambics I've had.

T - Delicate sourness with a great raspberry flavor. One of the finest tasting lambics I've tasted. Such a great balance of sour and fruit.

M - Great mouthfeel. The body is smooth but thick, like a fine red wine, only accentuated by the very delicate carbonation. An amazing sipper.

D - I shared the bottle with a friend, but i could easily sip through the whole bottle myself. Maybe not more than that, but it's still very drinkable.

Overall - An excellent lambic. Subtle, balanced, and easy drinking. I'd definitely buy it again if I can find it again.

DannyS, Mar 24, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer compliments of Simon at La Caves des Bulles in Paris. Cork reads 2004. And the beer shows it. (sour!)

Pours a murky orange touched brown. Nose is like dogshit. Really. It smells like animal poo. Yet oddly, I still feel compelled to drink this wildness poured into my Cantillon glass. Flavor is quite sour and tart. Punch in the mouth sourness and tart tones. Hard to get many complexities off of it. Acidic, funky, minor fruit edges (barely.) Liquid feel is thicker and slick. Carbonation is minimal as you'd expect with a bit of a bite. This is a rough one to drink. This was the first lambic I ever tried and I am re-reviewing it for the heck of it. I certainly would not suggest a newbie to start with this. But for me, I can dig it at this point in my beer life.

RblWthACoz, Mar 20, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

This beer is one Ive been lusting after for quite some time. The color when poured is quite striking, a bit darker than a typical rose' wine, but still pink, with a 2 finger pinkish head that quickly dissapates leaving only a ring of white foam aorund the glass. The aroma is unquestionably funky, suprisingly not sour, and has only a hint of raspberries, and surprisingly strawberries. Describing the taste is difficult. The raspberry presense is quite assertive, but so is the brett funk and the acidity, it tastes beautiful. The mouthfeel is pleasent, fizzy and on the thin side, tannic on the sides of my tounge. I would drink a whole 750 of this any time i could get away with it.

Orangevango, Mar 18, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -2.6%

A - A very interesting pink hue as it piurs from the bottle. Once poured, it is a very light amber color with hints of pink throughout. An excellent looking beer. Very thin, fizzy foam layer on top quickly fades away. Leaves a ring of ubbles around the glass and light lacing throughout. I have no experince with the style, but from what I have read this is about how they are supposed to look.

S - Big sour aroma of fresh berries. Raspberry is definitely the dominant note. And did I mention sour? I somewhat light cider/vinegar aroma underneath as well.

T - Big wave of sourness up front. Mouth puckering...almost mouth hurting. The fruitiness provides ample balance though. Lots of raspberry and a little bit of cider in the taste. The sourness carries throughout, but by late drink it is more of a refreshing tartness. No real hop or malt tastes in this one. Just big fruity sourness.

M/D - Very clean and crisp feel. Very refreshing and easily drinkable. The sourness would make me question sitting down with 750ml for myself, but this 12oz bottle is excellent.

My first Lambic and I must say, it is quite enjoyable. Not a new favorite style or anything, but definitely something I will be looking for. Excellent stuff here.

ckeegan04, Feb 19, 2009

750 corked bottle, believed to be several years old.

A: Pours a murky pink, somewhere between the color of a spanish onion skin and pink grapefruit juice. Nice and bubbly but no head at all.

S: Nice and musky, sour brett aromas and grapfuit. Funky aromas of barnyard and grass.

T: Fairly sour, with the tartness of outshining whatever fruit was left. There's more sour citrus than any tastes that I could associate with raspberries

M: Light and refreshing, though mild carbonation. Tad grainy from the yeast. Essentially what you're looking for.

D: Cantillon lambics are just great sources. Not as sour as the Kriek but very good. I'll probably attempt to take the whole bottle down.

kasper, Jan 19, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

God this is awesome. It pours a clear pink color with almost no head whatsoever. The smells is intensely sour and tart. It is making my face hot and my mouth pucker...can't wait to taste it. This is easily the most sour beer I have had to date. It is more intense than one of those war head candies. You can pick up a little bit if raspberries, I suppose. Towards the end, once the tart flavors subside, you get an apparent barn and horse flavor. Which is nice. Awesome beer and addictingly sour.

Douglas14, Jan 14, 2009

750ml bottle.

Poured a reddish amber color with a smaller sized pinkish tinged head. Aromas of fruitiness and some barnyard funkiness. Sour cherry/raspberry tasting with some lighter funkiness. Nice mouth puckering finish.

Notes from and tasted on: 01/16/05.

hopdog, Jan 13, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

Big thanks to fishingnet

A: Pours a bright raspberry red hue, very clear with a little whitish pink head. Little retention and no lace.

S: Bold fresh raspberry aromas right from the start. Light sour notes with a bit of musty basement.

T: The raspberry flavor is really nice here. Very light with the sour raspberries bleding nicely with the Lambic qualities of the beer. Nice funk going on with a bit of crushed sweet tarts.

M: Very light and bubbly.

D: If you ask me few lambics are real drinkable. If I were to consume alot of one this may just be it.

tpd975, Jan 03, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

After the very disappointing Broucella, this restored my faith in Cantillon.

Pours a bright vivacious pink with frothy clumping of pink-white bubbles. Smell has sour raspberries on the nose with a bit of barnyard funk and a hint of vinegar-iness.

Taste is resplendently sour, with puckering sour raspberries, some funk (though the funk is muted by the fruit flavors), and a razor sharp biting acidic vinegar twang. This is a very, very sour beer. Lively mouthfeel. I'm forcing myself to drink slowly.

Overlord, Jan 02, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -23.5%

Reviewed on 8/4/08. 750 mL bottle, bottled in 2007. Pours a nice deep red with a small ring of light pink head. Aroma of sweet, tart raspberries. Some funk but mostly tartness/sweetness. Flavor is extremely tart and sour with a sweet raspberry finish. This is quite good, but it absolutely destroys your palate! Lots of lactobacillus and super acidic. Drinking this in small quantities is best. I enjoyed my first glass of this but it was very hard to drink and really wore on me by the end.
7/4/7/3/15 (3.6/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 23, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +2.1%

On tap at the Hop Leaf, Chicago. $9 a goblet

Pours the expected, lightly bubble rosy color. A clouded pale body highlights the rose when backlit.

Light druity notes and carbonation off the nose. Just a little taste of the treat you are in for.

The prickle on the tongue is really quite pleasant. I was expecting a bit more sour out of this one, even to the point of slight unpleasantness, but this was a real treat. Just nice, full flavored, clear drinking in this one.

To have a gem like this on tap, I felt rather priveledged, and I would absolutely repeat the experience.

Side note: Bartender said this one moved very slow on the tap, that evidently many people are moved away by the price, or by the sour. Said it was mostly the bar staff that really knew the treat there.

ShareANevada, Dec 09, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

750ml bottle 2006 vintage. nice light pink-orange color, interesting. Smells slightly funky, hay, subtle. The flavor is more fruity lambic, sour and only once did I distinctly taste raspberry but it was like I bit into one. Other than that the raspberries were muted into a general fruitiness. I'd be interested in getting a fresher bottle to compare but I was not disappointed in this beer.

ArrogantB, Nov 24, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle dated 09/04/2007 into a snifter.

Appears a soft reddish orange, cloudy because I let a bit too much sediment in from the bottom in attempt to get every drop of the nectar. A half inch rose tinted white head holds up for a couple minutes then sinks down to a thin skim and ring.

Aroma is full of funk and sourness. The raspberry comes through nicely in a subtle way mixing with the funk. It seems like its trying to come across as sweet but the sour prevents it. A bit of old leather and tart green apples noted as well.

The taste is initially of sweet fruit mixed with a light sourness but that is quickly changed when right when you begin to swallow and it becomes almost intensely sour, but in a good way. Finishes is puckering with a nice funky linger.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, quite smooth with a creamy carbonation.

Overall I was very impressed with this, my first Cantillon beer. Not the most sour I have had, that would have to go to Beatification.

roadhouse, Nov 19, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +14.9%

this one is right up my tree
i like rasberries, but i find most rasberry beers to be too sweet..

not this one.. it brings the funk and sourness that i have grown to LOOOVE from Cantillon

it pours about a shade lighter than rose

its just a nice fun, funky awesome beer with a little rasberry on the nose..
from what I gather this beer is a little hard to find and i will enjoy it and drink at least one everywhere i can find one

the only drawback.. its a little pricey, but hey thats Cantillon

def a great treat

gdfan47, Nov 10, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

I remember having this beer years ago and thinking that it was almost too sour for me. These days I think no such thing and think this beer is wonderful. This one is a 2007. Pours a beautiful ruby red with a pink head that fades quickly. Smells tart, but not overly acetic and with a nice backbone of light barnyard funkiness.
The taste is very nicely balanced between this light funkiness and rasperry tartness with a refreshing minerality throughout. Not as sharply sour in the mouthfeel as you might think, in fact there is a nice almost saltwater tafffy softness after the initial sourness. Very drinkable, and even better than I remember it.

Georgiabeer, Oct 28, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

750 champagne bottle with a 2007 cork date. Some difficulty in getting the cork out without actully pushing it back into the bottle. Immediately assaulted by scent of fresh sweet raspberry. Overwhelmingly pleasant, and no indicator of the tart monster within. Pour is a light copper, no sediment chunks, and a slight quickly dissipating head. A bit cloudy. Tart. No getting around it. This was my second beer from this brewery. Either my taste for sours has grown, or this is nowhere near the sour potency of their straight lambics. Regardless, it is still plenty sour, to the point of obscuring the raspberry, which continues to strongly assert itself in the aroma. A very pleasant combination. Hard to describe the mouthfeel as the sour taste is quite mouthwatering. Little carbonation and smooth body. Drinkability - not super high, but not a fault of the beer, and certainly good for the style. It is a sipper to be sure, but I had no difficulty finishing a the bottle. Very enjoyable and a beer I will definately revisit again.

Onibubba, Oct 22, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

From the Northcoast Coop this set me back a full $13.49 for 650 ml bottle. Poured a cloudy red with small off-white head and pink tinges on the bubbles. Nose is sour and clearly of raspberries. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth, and favor is a great sour note with raspberry sweetness backing it up. Simply sublime.

rkuhnel, Oct 04, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Small, corked and capped bottle; bottled 2005. Poured into a snifter.

It is a surprisingly clear (at least until you pour sediment, if you do) light red/pinkish beer, with a surprising effervescence that quickly rises to the top, and then rapidly goes away, taking the head with it, leaving no collar or lacing.
Aroma is funky, musty, vinegary, but also fruity, woody, raspberries more noticeable.
Medium in body and refreshing, but the pungent sourness and acidity make this into a sipper; a great one. Some fruity sweetness, funkiness and oakiness come and go, but the acidity and sourness dominate the flavors.
Very good, not sweet as expected for the 'lambic-fruit" denomination -this is the way it is supposed to be; a great contrast to Lindemans fruit lambics. Another great Cantillon.

brdc, Sep 25, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Pale, rose colored red. No head at all. Very few bubbles.

S: Raspberries, sweet smells, funky body odor smells, crazy lambic smells, this interesting to say the least. Spicy peppery notes as well.

T: Sour! This is a very sour, funky tasting beer, not overpowered by raspberries, lots of sour funky tastes. I can't really describe it any better. Very few fruit flavors in fact.

M: Thin. Nicely carbonated, and crisp. Very dry finish.

D: I don't think I could drink very many of these. One bottle is more than enough, but its interesting, a true lambic. A little on the funky side. To say the least.

pokesbeerdude, Sep 21, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

From a bottle I imported from Europe earlier this year (2008). Bought either in 2008 or 2007.

a - very much like a rosé wine. Clear (decently poured to separate dregs which were put in the bug circus), lots 'o bubbles, no head.

s - terribly acid, red fruit. Reminds me of a red fruit mead I made (not exactly a good association)

t - Cantillon! Cheek-sucking sour. Not much fruit. It's got an all-the-way-back-to-the-molars sour. Red fruit on the end. Again, a bit mead-y.

m - Very tart. Bubbles are plentiful and very small.

d - I love this stuff, but I think I prefer the Kreik to be honest. I could drink 2 of these I think, before the mouth sores would come...

jojox, Sep 19, 2008
4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

The cork says this was bottled in 2008.

a: This was a reddish pink color with some peachy highlights. It poured with a fizzy light pink colored head that was fairly long lasting.

s: Musty aromas of apple cider vinegar with notes of smoky oak. The raspberries provide a sweet, almost sugary semblance of balance. As it warms some damp, decaying grain notes emerge.

t: This had dry, tart, and vinegary apple and to a lesser extent, raspberry flavors. There was a crisp and refreshing flowery, sour bite at the end. Sour beers are very difficult for me to describe. There is something else here I don't have words for.

m: The carbonation was fizzy and soda-pop like.

d: This was my first fruited lambic and I liked it. It wasn't as sharply sour as I expected. Overall it was delicious, surprisingly subdued and approachable.

DIM, Sep 17, 2008