Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros

Oddly enough I tried this a month ago on draught at the Map Room in Chicago. I like to review beers more than once if it's a different serving type. Looks like I was the last one too review this but here we go.

Neary looks like say watermelon juice. An reddish orange rusty concoction that looks thick in hte glass pours out with an instant to dissipate white head. No lacing left behind.

Love the smell of the yeast mixed with the sour raspberry, some slight cherry aromas as well as strawberry, with malt.

Wow this is a sour ass beer. Yet very delicious. Makes your mouth pucker, big on the yeasty malt, with the same raspberry flavors, with strawberry and cherry undertones. Much fuller bodied in my opinion than the draught I had. And slightly more complex. Not very often I prefer a bottled beer over draught but this is one of the rare occasions.

mcallister, May 25, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +5.6%

found on tap @ collins bar (manhattan) this tuesday, a couple of BA's and I went specifically to the bar to have this on tap as we were in the city to see the band King's X @ BB King's that night..

$8 for a 10oz portion

eyes...
clean and clear looking fruit punch, maybe "blush punch". No discernable head but this is a lambic so looks are not what makes the style imo.

nose...
subdued strawberries melted in geuze. The bret smell was mild compared to bottle versions (to be expected), it had the belgian trademark funk nose but it was so scary balanced and pleasant it was like sniffing perfume.. perfume for BAs but perfume none the less. I let my nose linger in the glass for some time... it just had the perfect aroma of wild sourness that cantillon is known for but a super nice balance of fruit as well... I sniffed it full and often with every sip. fantastic.

taste etc...
sour, very sour, like most cantillon offerings but the subtlety in the fruit was so nice. The mouthfeel was divine, at first it enters the mouth like fruit punch, almost watery.. then it happens, it develops into this full tasting experience, the carbonation opens up when in the mouth... utterly devine, period. The sourness and mild repreive of the strawberry flavors were perfect for a spring day (as tuesday was just a lovely day out here). Refreshing, tart, finished dry enough to make you want more. An absolutely excellent offering on tap. I don't give 5's easily or often.. and this one pushes me to nearly 5's on all fronts as I can barely find fault with this amazing brew...

verdict?
there is no question this is world class... it made me question my commitment to my "favorite" cantillon (the geuze)... so damn sour and so damn tasty...
like no other beer, cantillon continues to amaze.

Ego, Apr 15, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

750 ml bottle. 8 oz sample. Pours a very hearty pink to light red color with a complete lack of head. There is a moderate haze and with no carbonation at present at all. Nose is excellent. Solid brett soutness and tartness, with a solid raspberry fruityness. Very enticing. Flavor is initially, very puckering, with Brett funk and tartness. This fades to a nice raspberry fruity tone with just hints of modest graineyness. Very nice sourness that does not linger at all. Exceptionally tasty brew. I enjoy. Feel is moderate, with a lack of carbonation, leaving some sticky spit in my mouth as it disappears. Very enjoyable. Overall, this is another nice lambic from Cantillon. Even with the nice sourness, it is still very drinkable. I just can't get enough of the sourness. I like how the fruit shines through on this one, even with the sour kick. Good show.

kmpitz2, Apr 12, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

This poured to a wonderful deep ruby and rose color. The head is minor while there is still a fair amount of carbonation.

The smell is fairly strong. It's very tart with plenty of raspberry. The taste is also pretty strong, with sour notes taken over by raspberry in the fininsh. The mouthfeel is sharp and tart. Drinkability is good.

watermelonman, Mar 18, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -13.1%

Outrageously inconsistent, to my palate anyway but when it’s on, it’s on. I’ve tasted this lambic several times, including bottles approaching a decade old and fresh bottles at the brewery. For the most part I agree with the general consensus that the fruit addition could be a little more substancial and the sourness is a bit much. I’ve had bottles that were so dry and sour that they were bordering on unpleasant. But the past few experiences have been enjoyable and it seems like this has gotten increasingly more "fruit forward" the past year. The Rose I tasted a few weeks ago which came straight from Shelton Brothers was the best yet. My rating sums up an average of every experience I have had from this beer.

Crosling, Mar 16, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

$6 for a slim 12 oz bottle, with cork and outer foil seal.

Looks good - red like you'd expect, no head, somewhat translucent body.

Smells like you are about to get a blast of sourness and tartness. Gets your mouth watering and your taste buds moving.

Awesomely tart/sour taste, just like the other Cantillion I had. When it first hits you, it almost makes your mouth constrict, if that makes sense. Every taste bud in your mouth comes alive and jumps around. Total pucker-face. It smooths out pretty quickly and leaves a satisfyingly slightly-yeasty aftertaste.

I wish it wasn't so expensive, and that it was available where I live. Those are my only complaints about this fine lambic.

chOAKbarrell, Feb 26, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a cloudy rosey, honey golden color. Thin bubbly head disappears immediately. Funky, sour berry aroma. Also has that typical lambic horsey, musty aroma. Slightly tart and sour, then folows through with a bit of raspberry, musty and barnyard flavors. Finishes extremely dry, almost puckering. Very acidic, and well carbonated. Very unique and complex. This grew on me a bit, and was screaming for some cheese or something to go with it. Not just a beer but an art farm. These funky beers are growing on me.

Bierguy5, Feb 25, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

(Served in a flute)
The cork said bottled in 2004

A- This beer pours a light red with a hint of pink. The crystal clear body has a thick web of micro-bubbles sticking to the glass. The head is a few wisps of foam.

S- I could smell the lambic funk as soon as the cork was pulled. The smell of goat and horse are distinctly separate but both are strong. There is an earthy quality that is followed by a nice subtle raspberry aroma. The finish has a sharp sour note with some wet blanket notes.

T- The taste or raspberries is very smooth but distinct. The taste of sour and tartness start of strong but become less strong after the first few sips. The finish stays tart but has nice depth to it. There is a perception of slight sweetness in the fruit but that may be due to the strong tartness at the finish.

M-On the first sip I can feel my jaws lock down tight but the medium-light mouthfeel has some slippery texture to it. There is astringency that makes you pucker, but it doesn't have the vinegar sharpness.

D- This beer really celebrates the raspberry, and it has good complex barnyard aromas. The taste is fruit and tart with not a lot of depth but good flavor.

rhoadsrage, Feb 11, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -10.3%

smells of green raspberries. so dry and supertart and sour! tastes like underripe or green raspberries. so dry it makes my mouth water. very good. good fruit flavor and lots of acidity. bright pink with no head. eventually sort of a pale pink with orange tinge. no lambic funk either.

texashammer, Feb 08, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

02/05/06- Purchased at Plumpjack's in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, both wrapped in foil, capped and corked. Not sure of the year though. Poured into my Lindemanns flute.

Appearance- Peach hued in color pour. Was expecting more of a red color. Slight fruity colored head which evaporates soon thereafter the pour. Light lacing along the sides.

Smell- Extreme barnyard funk. Lots of horse urine in this one. Kind of a sweaty gym scent as well. Well funkified.

Taste- Not really picking up much of any raspberry flavor here. Just a tad if any. I get a nice pink grapefruit flavor. Starts out mellow and a bit tart, but after the swallow it turns very tart as most Cantillon brews do. Not overly acidic though.

Mouthfeel- Tart, light burning of the stomach lining. Smooth...with next to nil carbonation.

Drinkability- Probably my favorite Cantillon beer so far...still trying to grasp the lambic scene. Next up is either the Organic Gueuze or the 100% Kriek.

GClarkage, Feb 06, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -4.9%

750 ml bottle, poured into a flute, this pours an orange-salmon color with no real head or lacing. Nose is a funky, musty, rotten, foot fungus, yeasty mix overlaid with a sharp rasberry garnish. Taste is a strong assertive rasberry upfront, very tart and sour, a funky yeasty middle giving way to a berry filled tart lingering fruit finish. Medium bodied, moderate/strong carbonation, not fizzy and sodalike like many fruit lambics. Overall this is a really interesting intense fruit flavored beer, not an every day thing, but good for a celebration or special occasion.

cubedbee, Feb 06, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a pink amber in my wine glass. Almost no head, just a ring of carbonation

The sourness is a little overpowering in the aroma. Its followed by a slighty fruity/stale smell.

Crisp tart sourness, followed by mellow but complex fruits. Serve this with some nice brie and crackers. The tart mouthfeel is not overpowering like I expected to be. Lighter mouthfeel for a lambic, but I think its a good thing. Great to drink, but half a bottle was enough for me.

tempest, Jan 13, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Well, initially I said I would never try a fruity beer, "fruit in beer!!, c'mon". But I put my initial misgivings aside and went for the one with the best label. Hey a blonde naked woman sitting on a gentleman's lap! That's the one to choose.

After opening the cap and cork I poured it into a champagne flute and started my first lambic.

WOW! the color was a pleasing coppery red, very thin settling head with some good lacing.

Aroma. Hmm, being a horse owner the first thing that came to mind was the barn and it's earthy hay aroma. The esscense of raspberries floated heavenly above.

The taste. Owooo! my tongue twisted and lips puckered ravagely. This is extraordinary! Strong raspberry fruitiness with a one-two sour/tartiness punch. I swirled it around my tounge and cherries and other fruits appeared. The first glass downed I went for another.
Gee, I'm hooked! Guess will have to get another to try out on guests. Hey Mikey!, he likes it!

NordikWolf, Jan 09, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

My first Fruit Cantillon beer, perfect for my 350th review.

RDG pours from the green 375mL bottle a slightly hazy amber with what Im convinced are pink highlights, though Im not to sure because the bar was poorly lit. The head is fizzy and shortlived even for a lambic and lacing is very light. The first notion I got from the aroma was a burst of Raspberry fruityness. Then as I poured I realized this was just a flash in the pan. Tart sour and acidic notes dominate with some woodyness and a faint hint of berry.

The taste is, no surprise, dominated by a sharp sourness. Behind this wall of acidity lay many other flavors. Astringent raspberry seeds and woody fibre, Cherry pits and some musty earth figure in the mix. The actual raspberry flavor is incredibly restrained, just evident around the edges. Theres also malt flavor buried way at the back. The mouthfeel is medium with a wonderfully textured and active carbonation. The puckering sourness really compliments the mouthfeel and makes for a long finish.

This was a stellar lambic, Incredibly sour with lots of earthy notes. I was expecting more of the classic barnyard funk though. Cantillon gueuze has much more. Still, this is definitely the best fruit lambic Ive yet tried.

CAMRAhardliner, Dec 22, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

On-tap at Monk's.

Served with no head, just a few scant white bubles around the lip of a rose-colored pink murky body. Little bubbles swirling up out of it.

Smell is certainly intense with the raspberries, but deeper than that the sour/tart/funky smells start to come out, particularly a yeastiness and an earthy scent that almost smells like freshly-dug topsoil.

Flavor is even more intense, puckeringly sour raspberry flavors rise to the top, with a tart citric layer underneath, some barnyard funk, and a bit of an earthy flavor before an acid-dry finish. Just about the most over-the-top dry finish I've ever had. Nice.

Overall: A compelling flavor, and although I'm no fan of raspberries, I enjoyed this one immensely.

whartontallboy, Dec 20, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

This bottle was a 2004 vintage. Poured into a fluted glass.

Appearance: The beer poured a cloudy ruby grapefruit coloration. There was almost no head to speak of on the beer. No lacing was left on the glass.

Smell: Smells tart vinegary raspberries a pleasant musty spicey yeasty smell is also prevelant.

Taste: Tart raspberries take the lead in the taste. The beer beneath has a pleasing spicy yeasty funkyness.

Mouthfeel: This beer was light bodied and barely carbonated. Very high mouth pucker factor is present.

Drinkability: This was suprisingly easier to drink than I thought it would be. For lack of better descriptions I love the funky taste contained in the beer. If it was better carbonated it may be more drinkable. I will be looking for fresher examples of the beer.

nlmartin, Dec 17, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

A: A nice transparent peachy brown color. No discernable head or lacing. Very bubbly, almost like champagne.

S: Sour wheat, raspberries and something else I can't put my finger on that warms my nostrils.

T: SOUR!!! Very sour wheat taste (gueze shining through), hints of raspberries... Very different from my other lambic experiences with Three Philosophers and Lindemans. Not as sweet as I was expecting. Even though it is very sour, it's still a pleasant taste. Turns a little bitter at the back of the palate.

M: Very bubbly, stings the palate with sourness. Makes my tastebuds perk up. Light body.

D: Due to the sweetness/SOURNESS of this beer it would be a little difficult to drink even a full 750ml bottle. Best to split with a friend (or in this case my father). Great lambic. While not my favorite in the style, I am still impressed.

stof0048, Dec 10, 2005
4.22/5  rDev -1.6%

Small bottle served at The Publick House in Brookline, MA.

Appearance: Glowing red color with a thin white head. Perfect lacing and head retention in the narrow Cantillon flute-like glass. A little bit of carbonation flows to the top.

Smell: Dry, tart, and sweet with raspberries.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Dry on the palate but still sweet with a boold raspberry flavor. The dryness lingers and leaves the palate feeling cleansed. No sugary or syrupy residue is left on my palate despite the sweetness of the beer. There is a faint vinous quality in the tartness backed by a sandy feel.

Drinkability: This one is easily drinkable and served me well as a dessert beer.

BrewMaster, Dec 03, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Blush-like pinkish red. "Rose" is correct. Reminiscent of the Hi-C 'Tropical Punch' juices I had as a kid in elementary school. A few bubbles standing guard around the edge of the glass, but no real head to speak of.

Smell: OMG! Such an acrid, stinging odor. A caustic tartness is easily perceived. Barnyard stable funk. Piercing lemon sourness fills the nose as well as the rich aroma of the noble raspberry and flowers. Very exciting!

Taste: Ah, the smell translates quite well into the taste. A biting tartness you really should be sitting down for invades the tongue, accompanied by bright, sporadic flashes of fresh raspberry fruitiness and an easy earthy mustiness.

Mouthfeel: The finish is remarkably clean after the initial punch of each sip, leaving you craving ever more. Completely refreshing with a gently sparkling effervescence.

Drinkability: Excellence that deserves to be tasted again. After a few sickly sweet Lindeman's, I was a bit uneasy about trying more from this style, but I'm very glad I did. ChainGangGuy Approved!

ChainGangGuy, Nov 16, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance – This Cantillon poured a beautiful reddish-orange in color with a monster, lasting head.

Smell – The sour, farmy lambic aroma dominates the nose, which is my preference in the style. The raspberries are very light. The sweetish malt is probably even a bit bigger than the raspberries.

Taste – The delicate raspberry flavor comes up nicely at the taste. The farmy sourness is still there but not overpowering. There’s some light sugary sweetness in the malts as well, making this a wonderfully complex and exciting Lambic.

Mouthfeel – This is shy of medium-bodied but nicely-carbonated. It’s a little high on the sour meter but if you don’t mind then neither do I.

Drinkability – This is a real sipper that will reward the experienced drinker with some fine complexity.

RoyalT, Oct 01, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at Monk's

Deep pinkish red with slight lacing. Smells like sour raspberry candy.. Dry, tart raspberries with that familiar cantillon bite.. Perfectly carbonated and light bodied, goes down much smoother than the bottled version. I often find it difficult to finish a whole bottle as my stomach tends to grow tired of the acidic nature of this offering, but on tap it is incredibly drinkable. I had several glasses and could easily have had more

eclectic, Aug 15, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -20%

The beer was one of the "out of the mainstream" offers from Cantillon, which hasn't been so far very exciting.

after I popped the cap I noticed the cork was damp with beer, all the way out of the bottle. I thought "Shucks" cos my previous one for the evening- a Broucsella- was quite flat, and this seemed easily correlatable.

But unlike the other, the Rosé came off with a big white head topping off a nice, syrup-red tone with considerable carbonation. the beer looked good so far.

In contrast, the smell wasn't very exciting, rather soured up and way too similar to the other Cantillons which I didn't very much like.

The taste was ok, and the cork had had absolutely no influence over it. it tasted ok, a bit like the others described (in a soury fashion, sort of a mix between salt-water brewed beer and dry white wine, just this one- like the Rosés in the french wine culture- was a bit sweeter, fruitier somewhat.

Still not leaning to my taste, though.

Andreji, Aug 14, 2005
2.83/5  rDev -34%

The beer is red, like a hard candy. Not tinted red, or able to catch red in the light, but pure red. Sadly, the taste is a little like candy, too, coyingly sweet. It got harder and harder to drink it. It isn't very complex by the standards of lambics, and the tastes that do come through fatique the pallette pretty quickly.

GnomeKing, Aug 05, 2005
4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

750ml bottle. 2004 Vintage.
Pours a reddish pink color with almost no head or lacing. A small white collar eventually settles around the edges of the beer. VERY fine carbonation lines the glass.
Smell is yeasty funk, some vinegar, definitely tart. Raspberries are present but very faint in the mix. Musty and definitely a lambic.
Taste is extremely tart. Raspberries are without a doubt present in the taste. Bitter fruit, citrus, and just a bit of musty yeast flavor (which is a bit surprising). Really all that there is here is tartness from both the lactic acid and the fruit. It's kind of hard to get past, but since I love these beers, I have to give it a 4, since it is pretty damn good.
Mouthfeel is lacking, I personally prefer my lambics to be a bit dryer and a bit more carbonated. Nevertheless, it's not bad, just a little thick for a lambic.
Overall, a good beer. I couldn't drink it all night, but I could drink it for a while. A good desert beer, and a definite treat from a brewery that I continue to respect more (if that's possible) each time I drink a beer from them.

LuckySevens82, Jul 26, 2005
4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Served slightly chilled in a St Bernardus goblet. Hazy, pinkish body is topped by a small, offwhite head. Head quickly fades, leaving spotty patch lace.
Typical fruit lambic aromas. Woodsy, musty, oaky, and assertive barnyard yeast notes. Tart raspberry adds an interesting complexity. Notes of wet animal fur and dried manure are in the background.
Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, with a medium body. Velvety and effervescent in the mouth.
Taste is tartly acidic, with a nice berry presence. Oak wood essence is very assertive. Tannic and slightly vinous notes abound. Delicate and complex all the way through, with a dry finish.
This Lambic is really true to style. Very earthy and barnyard, with an ideal subtle raspberry presence. Very well made and exceedingly complex. An excellent Fruit Lambic to keep on hand.

merlin48, Jul 23, 2005