Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Rosé De GambrinusCantillon Rosé De Gambrinus

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 02-16-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus Alström Bros
Reviews: 708 | Hads: 2,077
4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

750ml bottle. 2004 Vintage.
Pours a reddish pink color with almost no head or lacing. A small white collar eventually settles around the edges of the beer. VERY fine carbonation lines the glass.
Smell is yeasty funk, some vinegar, definitely tart. Raspberries are present but very faint in the mix. Musty and definitely a lambic.
Taste is extremely tart. Raspberries are without a doubt present in the taste. Bitter fruit, citrus, and just a bit of musty yeast flavor (which is a bit surprising). Really all that there is here is tartness from both the lactic acid and the fruit. It's kind of hard to get past, but since I love these beers, I have to give it a 4, since it is pretty damn good.
Mouthfeel is lacking, I personally prefer my lambics to be a bit dryer and a bit more carbonated. Nevertheless, it's not bad, just a little thick for a lambic.
Overall, a good beer. I couldn't drink it all night, but I could drink it for a while. A good desert beer, and a definite treat from a brewery that I continue to respect more (if that's possible) each time I drink a beer from them. (1,090 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +0.2%

Served slightly chilled in a St Bernardus goblet. Hazy, pinkish body is topped by a small, offwhite head. Head quickly fades, leaving spotty patch lace.
Typical fruit lambic aromas. Woodsy, musty, oaky, and assertive barnyard yeast notes. Tart raspberry adds an interesting complexity. Notes of wet animal fur and dried manure are in the background.
Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, with a medium body. Velvety and effervescent in the mouth.
Taste is tartly acidic, with a nice berry presence. Oak wood essence is very assertive. Tannic and slightly vinous notes abound. Delicate and complex all the way through, with a dry finish.
This Lambic is really true to style. Very earthy and barnyard, with an ideal subtle raspberry presence. Very well made and exceedingly complex. An excellent Fruit Lambic to keep on hand. (823 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

This poured from the bottle into my wine glass a light copper color with just a hint of rose pink. There is a ton of champagne carbonation in the beer, but even with that, the head receded very quickly. The nose has raspberry up front, mild lemony citrus, a bit of spice and a very yeasty finish. The taste is a combination of a very dry chardonnay mixed with raspberry. This beer is not sweet at all. The chardonnay character comes with a bit of pineapple and lemon grass. Very tart. Light and very acidic mouth feel. The tartness and the acidic finish you adjust to, and with the light mouth feel this lends to a high drinakbility. (633 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Cantillon Rosé de Gambrinus comes in a cork, capped and foil covered green bottle. My cork told me I'd be drinking the 2004 edition. It pours a slightly cloudy deep pink (like a...ahem...Rosé wine), with a very slight white head and some fine bubbles that line the bottom of my glass.

Aroma is tart and fruity, with some delicious musty farmhouse notes and perhaps a hint of spice (although I know none have been added to the beer). Taste is full of sour berries, not sweet at all, with some slight musty malt. Carbonation is very effervescent, not anything like a sparkling wine - more like a Pelligrino. Very drinkable - delicious dessert beer. I would drink this all the time if I could buy it in NH. (709 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours into the lambic flute a translucent orange red. At first it looked like a watered down cream soda. Foamy, but quickly dissipating head. Smell is barnyard and sour acid...and some sort of fruit, though I think they used young raspberries...very young. Taste is underripe raspberries, funky lambic, sour, puckering sour, whoo doggy. By the second glass the intensity passes a bit. Mouthfeel is thin, some carbonation helps, but this is a little too watery for me. If you like the style, this is fairly easy to drink. But more than one is probably not warranted. (565 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

This is only the third lambic I've had besides Lindemans Framboise and Sam Adams Cranberry. I love the Lindemans and am not a fan of the Sam Adams, so I wasn't sure what to expect with the Cantillon.
Served from a small cork and capped bottle. Poured into small white wine glasses. Head was almost nonexistant and the lace disipated rather quickly, leaving a rapid stream of carbonation rising to the top of the glass.
Aroma was very tart fruity raspberry. Hazy copper color interruped only by the afformentioed carbonation.
Now to the tasting. The first sip set me back on my heels. Not as sweet as the Lindemans and no comparison (thankfully) to the Sam. WOW this was tart. It sent a sour alert to the other 3 regions of my tongue saying "you've been had". So this is what a lambic is supposed to taste like. It's a shame when people say they've had a lambic, with only S.A. to refer to. There seems to be a lot of old world feel in this beer. The tartness stays with you from first sip, to 1/2 hour later when I'm typing this. The carbonation is subdued to almost nothing, and the beer has warmed up considerably, but the zip is still there.
Mouthfeel is not cloying at all. Washes over the tongue and stays there for a bit, but not too long.
I got my wife to try this beer, hoping it would start to break down her barriers of "it tastes like beer", but alas it was too much for her. I understand though. I don't think this is an easy beer for a non-beer drinker to like. Maybe a wine drinker wouldn't have a big problem though.
Nice foray into the world of Lambics. Now I'm interested in seeing how the rest of them in Belgian compare. Let the pourings commence. (1,676 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

Small bottle, caged and corked. Pours strawberry/rasberry, minimal white head, with no lacing left behind.. This one has a sweet fruity nose, that only hints at what delights are to come. Super complex brew, crazy chemistry of sweat and sour notes and intense/dense/mind bogling flavors. World class brew, that is not for everybody, I wonder if my wife will ever "understand" this type of beer. worth a try to see the range of beer that is out there. (450 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

I've recently been getting into lambics, but this is my first forray into the framboise category. I was surprised when this beer poured a distinct red color, with zero head. Smells wild. Rasperries cleary playing a part in the scent, though there's a more than ample amount of crazy funk, barnyard style. Wow... very berry in the taste. It tastes great, don't get me wrong, but almost too fruity for my conception of beer, but I'm trying to challenge my palate. Zingy rasperries pretty much take over, though there's a tartness of lemmon and a dusty taste, with a funky sock aftertaste. Dry mouthfeel and despite the sourness this is a fairly drinkable beer. Something still doesn't quite sit right with me concerning this much of a fruit characteristic in beer. There is no hop or malt profile, which I find odd. Clearly a beautiful and tasty beverage, just not exactly a beer in my opinion. (892 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

The beer after decanting the 12-ounce green bottle sets in the glass a beclouded orange-red color, the head is creamy in texture an a off white color, the size adequate, as it evaporates rather quickly, the residual lace is a thin satin sheet to drape the glass. The nose is jaw tightening in its tartness, with the light aromas of blue cheese, green grass, rising damp, and yes raspberries floods your senses, with just a touch of sweetness underneath it all, start is lightly sweet and enormously tart, the top light. Finish is devastatingly acidic with the sweet and sour raspberries lingering to the end, “Whoa Nellie”, this is so tart it makes your jaws hurt, ah the wonder of a true lambic, God I love’em. (714 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Reviewed from a 12oz corked bottle dated 2.003. My bottle seems to have the butt naked version on the label. This appears a light amber color with plenty of flowing carbonation bubbles. A small bubbly head formed but then quickly disappeared leaving light scattered lace. Sharp tart aroma. Light sweet fruit notes balance out the tartness some but it is very strong. Taste is similar with a punch of tartness up front dominating it. As it warmed and aired out the tartness let some fruity notes creep though as well as a light sweetness. Dry tart finish that took a few sips to get used to. I am still fairly new to the style but I enjoyed the flavor after it warmed and aired out a bit. Mouthfeel was very lively with carbonation and it went down fairly easy. Drinkability was alright though it may have been hindered by my lack of very sour lambic experience. Overall it was quite enjoyable and I would have it again. (919 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -6%

Bottled 2003. Color of apricot nectar, oranged amber and semi unclear. No head really, just a bit of closely knit white bubbles in a ring, with a small island in the center. Deeply soured, slightly cellared scents, raspberry and a bit of woodsyness. Not too intense carbonation, just a nice feel with a bit of swirling. Tastes of fresh, plump raspberry and blackberries, good oakines, and bite. Tingling, almost feel a bit of numbing to the tip of my tongue. Can feel the tang of it! The flavors hit all areas of your tongue. A bit of a peachy aftertaste left in your mouth. Man, this is sweettarts in a bottle. I finally just broke down and grabbed one of these, since I feel like the only person who has not had it on here! (725 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -25.2%

Well I was glad to share with a very experienced drinker and a few other people.

This is not for the unprepared, intensely sour mule kick to the mouth. Not like any Lambic I have had before, but after I got over the shock of a couple sips I found a way through to taste this beer. A big lemon drop leads to an aftertaste of hidden fruit and funky yeast. It had a pretty yellowish-oragne color with some lacing. Not for all day drinking but a treat and a unquie experience I would come back to again. (502 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.3%

2003.

Misty tan salmon hued, with a fleeting, pink glinted collar.
The salmon is not only manifest by color, but also in the fleshy, lemon-squirted pink meat it adds to the nose. Behind this, there are traces of unripened oaky raspberries.
Begins with a slash of wheaty maltiness, already tart-leaning from the get go. Then the flood gates open and lemon juice rushes in. Bracingly tart. Deeper in, vague notions of sour cherry and raspberry, but mostly its just the vice grip of sheering lemon. Funkier as it goes out, with rust, oak, and suede. Ends with a quailed white vinousness. Like a soured pino gris, doused with uncut lemon acidity.
Light bodied, and unreined in its sourness. There are other Cantillon with a firmer edge than this, but they are balanced better. This is exposed, and unrebutted, and raw.
Still a solid, tart-as-hell lambic rendition, but not up to snuff with Cantillon's usual transcendence. (926 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

Appearence: Pours a deep orange with a thin, off-white ead that fizzes forever.

Smell: The smell has an almost farmhouse, woodsy type quality to it. The raspberries are suprisingly not that pronounced.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Woah! Now that's a tart ass beer! It's so sour yet bitter, and makes your mouth puckering for a week and a half. The raspberries are not the focus, but rather come out in the aftertaste. The muthfeel is thin bodied.

Drinkability and Overall: I just can't enjoy it. It's too tart. Maybe my palate's not seasoned enough, so I'm going to go back and try again in a few years, but as for now I don't like it. Too damn tart! Not my thing. (665 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml split with my brother at Red Monk in Des Moines, IA

The bartender uncorked the bottle and poured two glasses. We both took whiff, taking in the dank dung odor. Almost as a dare I told my fiance to try some. It was pretty much impossible to convince her this was a good beer as she remark it literally smelled like shit. It really isn't that sour. I went though a kriek kick and many times I just couldn't stand the sournes, but this was a great balance. The raspberry was strong. So strong that sometimes it came across as malt Kool-Aid. The 750 ml seemed to melt away. To try this is to love this. (607 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -7%

Pale, rosy-white head: hilly, noisy, dies to nothing. Opaque, red-orange beer. One or two spots of lacing. There's huge funkiness in the soury, tangy nose. Just a touch of fruit. The front is very tangy and sour. Ya baby. The middle sweetens a little, but not so much as to mask the zing. Some throat burn. Funky, sour finish, with a little tangy fruit. Strong raspberries trail in the aftertaste with temperature. This is one puckeringly sour funk fest. Raspberries come on strong with temperature. Just a good, solid, funky sour framboise. (541 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottld (sic) in 2002, tasted 2/18/05. I bought this bottle from a very reputable store about 3 months earlier. I had serious doubts, however, as I opened it. When I pulled the bottle cap, a brownish liquid came off the cap, and it was spotted with black mold (?). The cork was wet. I don't know how this happened- the bottle has been sitting upright since I bought it, and it was upright when I bought it at the store. Very strange, and I assumed the worst.

Since I never had this before, I don't know what to expect except from reading other reviews. I've had Cantillon Gueuze, Cuvee des Championes, and Iris, so I am familiar with the product line. So here goes...

After getting past the cork, my first whiff was absolute- vinegar. Oh, crap. It is bad. Or is it? After that, I got some pleasant, but mellow Cantillon sour notes. Very restrained, though. Nice!

Poured an orange, slightly reddish tinted clear, with a small head that quickly vanished- and it is completely flat after that. Flat, flat, flat. Not a bubble in sight.

Aroma is as in the bottle, very faint lambic funk sour, but with a definite fruit interlace. Not sure what kind of fruit- berry like, but not definitive. Maybe more strawberry than raspberry.

Flavor opens up, and it definietly has the citric (lemony) astingency of the lambic, but very restrained. Definite fruit profile, as in the aroma, but now I think it really is more like raspberries. But not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is sour on the sides of the tongue, mellow, not remarkable otherwise.

Drinkability is limited- it's a very nice beer as something different, but this is one to sip a while, then put down.

I don't know if this is a typical bottle of this beer or not- I definitely need to re-visit. But even if this was bad, it was pretty good. Recommended.

This was quite an experience, my girlfriend even said it's ok, and the only beer she really likes is the Lindemans fruit line. Maybe she sees some parallels, and this is going towards some serious Beer Advocacy!! (2,035 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very hazy orangish-amber color, head dissipates quickly but leaves a film across the top.

Aroma: Very nice fruity aroma, tart raspberries all the way, with a metallic, musty smell underlying it.

Flavor: Huge mouthfilling sourness up front, which, with the fruit, reminds me more of meyer lemon juice than raspberries, at first, but after a moment a gentle raspberry bouquet comes through. No residual sugars or sweetness remain, so it's difficult to identify. Lambic flavors are somewhat subdued, but some hints of hay, of fresh-turned sod, and a coppery, metallicness are all present. Finish is long and bone dry.

Mouthfeel: Light body, but full and quite astringent texture.

Beautiful beer. The only lambics sold here in Texas are sweetened ones, so I sometimes forget what a complex treat a traditional one can be. (842 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

OK I had it already, stop pushing the picture in my face. This was real fruit. How did I know? Its -14 celcius outside the bar, 10 yards that-a-way, and there were fruit flies buzzing around my glass. Darn good for its style, and gave taste and some smoothness to the medical level cleanup of my palate. (303 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

2001.

Hazy peach, pink-hued head. Tiny streams of carbonation work their way towards the top of the beer. The head disapates rather quickly.

Initially the nose is of fresh raspeberries, before long that disintegrates into an incredibly funky mix of acidity, wild funk and soured milk.

Lactic sourness at first, with straw and subtle hints of raspberries. There's a component that's reminiscent of bile and a sort of body-like funk that's like, well, I know I'm going to catch flack for this, but it has to be said. There's a distinct taste of pussy here. I simply don't know how to say it without being crude, I'm sorry. It's the closest thing to the flavor I can describe. Nicely crisp and acidic.

Finishes sour and fruity. Nicely done. (750 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

Hey theres a naked woman on the label- WHOOHOO!!! What a beer from axisjones my Secret Santa. I have honestly never had anything like this. Gorgeous light orange to pink color. Slightly hazy. Good carbonation level though no head to speak of. Extremely tart aroma-screams black pepper. Almost reminds me of a gunpowdery,sulfur type smell. Big,tart flavor. Not really a rasberry tartness-theyre there for sure, however. The peppery-ness comes right at you in the taste. Extremely acidic. Makes you pucker. Really pleasant sourness. Great mouthfeel. I knock it down on drinkability a bit-I just dont see being able to enjoy a lot of this in one sitting. Truely an amazing beer. Im sitting here shell shocked. I know these are out there just have not had any real exposure to them. Wow!!! (785 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

My first Cantillon (prolonged latency to drinking due to high prices, limited availability, and fear of labels with nude cartoon women). Okay, just kidding about that last reason. Nice label (as we all know). Popped the cork and was greeted by sourness. Excellent. Pours an Alaskan salmon fillet-red with a small, tiny-bubbled off-white head. Smells of sour, barnyard funk, along with chemistry-experiment-gone-right-raspberry, and that brett yeast. My mouth prepares to pucker up as I take a sip. Good idea. Sour dominates, but amid the puckering I pick up all shades of raspberries (but they are not sweet--thank god). The barnyard/dirty sock funk is here too. It doesn't get old either; each sip is rewarding and refreshing and acidic and dry. Very well done. (762 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

US trip Aug-Dec 04

Vintage 2004

Salmon pink going into red colour with a tight creamy pink head.

Incredible aromas of horse/barnyard mixed in with a vinous raspberry light red fruit notes. The brett just slams the other flavours up your nostrils and is a brilliant mixture of funk, fruit and other little notes (leather, spice)

Acid acid acid!! The palate is (almost) unbelievably acidic and is so tart you cheeks, teeth and tongue all dance around in a nice kind of pain. Some tart fruit flavours come through, but the acid is over powering. At first I loved it, half way through i was despising it, by the end I was loving it again. Who knows how that works! Matched well with food that really helped ease the acid and bring out the fruit flavours.

Great label (mine had the naked chick unlike the example here on the website) and a real experience. Cherished it, and only wished I could bring a case of it home to Australia with me, as lambic of this caliber is not available down under.

Vintage 2008...Finally in Oz!!! Drunk in 2008

Sweet luscious berries and tart acidity. Great aroma, flavour, length and balance. Everything I remember plus more - Screams Cantillon. (1,179 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5%

Beautiful bold crimson coloring, a flush red, with a smallish head.

Aroma: fierce, with the usual Belgian lambic flavors, a unique blend.

Taste: oooh, sour, mmm,sip after sip, the sourness continues, but still feels refreshing, even delicious...but, oooh, pucker,pucker,...this is the real deal, when we talk of lamibics, fakers need not apply...
mmm, sour, mmm, sweet, mmm, delicious.

This is a complex, and rewarding brew. if you're up for it! (455 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Admirable deep reddish orange hue. Very light head is decent for the style. Big raspberry bushes smell, incredibly leafy, earthy, woody. This is cantillon at its best, a complex creamy and lactic smell with notes of meringous and lemon/citric fruits. Very tart in a woody fashion. Lots of branches and fruit acid flavours, well contained earthiness blends well with the yogurt-like lactic profile. Notes of vanilla, cask wood, juniper, flowers.. Light carbonation, medium bodied. Sharp, direct and astringent. Spectacular lambic (528 characters)

Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus from Brasserie Cantillon