Cantillon Vigneronne - Brasserie Cantillon

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 07-23-2002

Reviews: 293 | Hads: 1,107
4.81/5  rDev +13.7%

A - This one pours a cloudy bronze-marigold with a brief one finger head that disappears quickly like champagne. The beer is a rich alluring gold that reminds me of spring flowers.

S - White vinegar, malt vinegar, sweet and sour sauce, dandelions, green leafy salad with bitter greens and drizzles of red wine vinegar and oil. Acidic, complex, sweet, and extremely sour and salty.

T - Again, white wine vinegar and oil drizzled over a salad of mixed greens, hearts of palm, artichokes, dried tomatoes, and onions. Wonderfully complex and deep...this might be off putting for many, but I love vinegar and all things bitter so this is my cup of tea.

M - This is so sour and acidic! This could rip the enamel from your teeth and leave your fillings lying on your tongue! Amazingly bitter, sour, acidic, and biting but yet somehow seet and fresh like delicate flowers.

D - I love this stuff. The addicting sour cheek-pulling tartness is like crack. I wouldn't want to drink this all night during a serious session, but I can't think of a more wonderful ber to sip during this wonderfully warm spring-like January weather we are having. After a Sunday spent with my fiance tooling around the countryside in the Miata....this is the perfect brew to end a gloriously warm and bright day. (1,284 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

biegaman shared this one. thanks jan!

750ml bottle, corked and capped. 2004 vintage. sampled jan 19/08.

pours crystal clear golden yellow until the end of the bottle when a bit of haze comes through. a small dense white head forms, dropping fast with just a few spots of lace.

aroma is intense. white wine. oak. vanilla. malt vinegar. lemon. bread and cracker. bit of alcohol. barnyard funk. bit of horse blanket. touch of orange zest. green grapes. kiwi.

taste is excellent. bit of lemon and malt vinegar. vanilla and oak. white wine and green grapes. touch of orange zest. horse blanket. touch of funk. crackers and white bread.

mouthfeel is great. medium-low carbonation level. medium-light body. nice drying finish.

drinkability is great. not overly acidic. nice level of funk. great balanced. this holds up well against its sister beer, st lamvimus. you can definitely tell they're related, but each stands well on its own. (934 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from corked capped 750ml bottle into a pilsner glass. Bottled Oct '06.

Appearance- Pours a hazy yellow almost like a hefe but with strange off-coloured swirls moving around with a black particle that got in there for good measure. Head is fine like Sprite and quickly dissapates but has suprisingly more carbonation than expected from Cantillon.

Smell- Sharp barnyard sourness with a strong Vigneronne grape bite a lemonady scent also jumps to the nose.

Taste- Sharp tartness and lemons with a strange winelike texture that gives the beer more complexity. Belgian sweet/sourness lingers forever after the swallow.

Mouthfeel- It just improves as it goes along, medium light bodied with good percived carbonation, but there really isn't much carbonation there at all.

Drinkability- As Cantillon is not for everyone, I would expect this drinkability to be much less for others, but for me this is amazingly drinkable and thus far is my favourite of all the Cantillon's. (980 characters)

Cage-corked bottle - bottled in Oct. '06:

Pours hazy golden yellow with a white bubbly head that descends to barely a patch, leaving some traces of lacing.

The smell is of lemon, sweettart candy, barnyard must and a hint of grapeskins.

The taste is of lemon, sweettart candy and barnyard must. Clove and ginger lend a spiciness to it. Sugary and honeyish sweetness blend nicely with the loemony tartness and light spiciness. Sweetened grapeskin segues into a dry finish.

Appropriately light-bodied, with mild to medium carbonation level for the style. It has a lasting, refreshing dryness.

This is a unique, refreshing brew. Interesting use of muscat grapes. Though I don't normally seek grapes in my beer (and prefer this brewery's St. Lamvinus), they do blend nicely into the house yeast strain and the malt that is used. It is a gueuze-like lambic that fits in nicely with the "unique treat" category. (909 characters)

Beer bottle (75cl, 2003), tasted in 2005.
Appearance: 100% lambic beer macerated with white muscat grapes. Bronze colour.
Taste: Wine sensations and fruity, astringency
Drinkability: a beer that smells of "chai"
"A delicate compromise between wine and beer. Fruity white grape married to the character of a powerful lambic than two years of age make the beer Vigneronne unique. Beer taste evolution, conservation and service at cellar temperature (12 to 15 ° C). order to take full of fruity it is advisable to drink it within one year after its purchase. "

Review added 10-27-2007, translated from french 1-31-2008. (618 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Golden colored brew, tiny white head on top, no lace. The sides of the glass are coated with tiny carbonation bubbles. The scent is pretty sour, almost like a wine scent. Not too strong. The taste is lip puckeringly sour, very active on the tounge. Grapes stand out as the main taste, very tart, quite a dry finish. Pretty thin mouth. Overall, probably what you would expect: a wine-like beer, amazingly active in the mouth, and quite a tasty treat. (449 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -43.3%

I poured a 750 ml foiled, capped and corked bottle into a cooled tulip. The cap was stamped "2006."

A: It was a very light golden color with a tint of copper hue. There was a slight white head that was long gone and left not remnant or lacing.

S: Sweet and sour with strong overtones of citrus and a distinct aroma of alcohol.

T: Pucker up...this is one tart brew. It is like drinking pure cider made from slightly unready granny smith apples blended with lemons and tangy grapefruit juice. Upfront this is one sour brew but it recedes to a light bitterness and has a tart finish that does not linger long after the sip is done. It had a strongly acid taste that would not settle well on an empty stomach.

M: Very light, sour/bitter and highly acidic. Each sip is like taking a bite out of a sour green apple. Considering hour sour it is it leaves a sightly drying sensation but very limited bitter or sour aftertaste.

D: Best in small doses. This is not a beer for a long session. It would be best served to sip in small quantities. It's a novelty beer that I doubt I'll every buy again.

Comment: I am not a fan of Lambic brews and this did not win me over. Its great to try something different but I doubt I'll develop a taste for this brew or its co-habitants in the land of lambic. (1,294 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Shows a slightly ruddy golden/amber hue with exciting aromas of melon rind, burnt rubber, spice and citrus notes. On the palate it shows an aggressive, lively lime citrus, quinine, and herbaceous flavor that turns a bit astringent, but should appeal to any fan of gin and tonic, mojito, or pouilly fume. Serve as an aperitif, with grilled fish or chicken kebabs. Interesting, refreshing and worth a try, but perhaps a bit pricey. (429 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled in 2004.

Pours out a honey color with a thinnish head and slow moving bubbles that crawl towards the surface. Smells like a really good geuze that leans towards a softer edge, much like something from Boon. I'm really trying to get some grapes, and if I strain, I can pick up a faint dryish white wine in the back, but that could be my imagination. This one is really lemony in the flavor and stands out above any really intense funk. Something that stands out is what I'm identifying as a faint fennel character in the background. When I think about it, I get this in some other lambics but have not been able to place it. Acidity isn't too harsh here and is rounded out by a little sweetness. Finishes dry. Any grape character I get comes at the very finish and echoes on into the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light, but feels more subdued than other lambics I'm used to. The mild sweetness that rounds this out makes this a pretty easy drinkaer while still maintaining interesting characteristics. (1,007 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -18.4%

little head, cloudy apple juice, light orangey; typical sour lambic scent; white grape juice; katsupy attributes (not in a bad way) although not so sugary - reminds me of flanders red ale; brings out the goat in goat cheese; sour, fizzy carb which i like; very drinkable, although not much difference from a plain lambic (320 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -7.8%

On-tap (hell yeah!) @ Spuyten Duyvil in Brooklyn, New York.

Serve in a wine glass, cloudy yellow and light orange color with a thin white head. Not as strong of an aroma as other Cantillon's I have tried, but the sour fruitiness is still there. Not quite as tart as the others upon tasting either. Actually, this may have been the first time I have had a lambic and not "puckered" after the first sip. It has nice sweetness to it with legitimate sourness to back it up. The muscat grapes were not very noticable, but to me I saw a minor resemblance to a white wine. I was ready to move on to something else after one glass, but it was without a doubt an enjoyable offering from the Cantillon lineup.

Definitely a treat to have this on-tap, and even more enjoyable to drink it outside in the beer garden at a world class bar. (830 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%

Upon visiting the Brewery in Brussels I had this again and found some discrepancies with my previous post. Itis not nearly as similar to a Flanders Red as I previously state. The grape flavor is very clean and cuts through the malt background to provide both a nice tart mouthfeel and a complex taste. Upon having it at the brewery I have decided to change its score. It is now one of my very favorite lambics.

App: Pours a pale orange color with a tiny white head that lasts about 2 seconds. There is no lacing, and the yeast adds some haziness, depending on how much your pour in.

Smell: Grapes and mustiness explode from the bottle and glass, you can smell it across the room. It's similar to a white wine, but a malty sweetness similar to a Flander's Red peeks through.

Taste: Again, the taste is similar to a Flander's Red, but is lighter and has more of a sour grape taste. The malt isn't nearly as heavy. The grape and the malt dominate.

Mouthfeel: Sour, but not the most sour of lambics. The malt backbone leaves a sweet texture on the front of the tongue and sour bumps on the roof of the mouth.

Drinkability: This is pretty easy going because it doesn't have strange tastes going on and no repulsive smells that are available in certain other lambics. A good lambic to get more lambic experience with. (1,317 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to the Beer Guy at McKean and Charles in Waldoboro for getting this (and then saving it a few weks until I could get up there). This was a 750ml bottle, bottled 30Oct06, and was served in a tulip glass. Nice orange color with a tiny head that dissipates quickly. Very still. It had the aroma of peaches. The taste was sour fruit, and was very acidic. Quite a dry beer, and quite enjoyable. Share it with a friend and pucker up. (434 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2004. Pours a glowing orange tinted yellow. Really beautiful, almost ethereal. Head fizzes and dissipates. Smell is funk, must, tartness. Taste is highly acidic with ripe tartness and everything else that went with the smell. Fairly dry body until the finish where some sweet sugar comes in and balances it out. Great carbonation on this one. Real light and easy to go. Would have enjoyed this more if I split it with someone else because the acidity is so high. (462 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

I am sampling a bottle with Stopper who is kind enough to share one with me. The beer is at room temp and I pour into a pint glass.
Pours cloudy and opaque gold color like an unfiltered apple cider. A fizzy bleached white head foams up 1 cm and fades to an edge layer. Aroma is some bready yeast, lactic tartness, general funk and must and some lite fruitiness. First sip reveals a lite body with smooth texture and very fine tingly carbonation. Flavor is grainy and yeasty up front and is quickly dominated by tart fruit and alctic sourness. VERY funky and drinkable but I get some acid reflux as we finish the 750. Definitely not an everybody beer, but I enjoyed the experience. just warn folks that this is a puckering experience. (734 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

750 ml bottle picked up from HiTime wine in Costa Mesa, CA. in mid 2006 (?). Price info not recorded.

Pours a bright spritzy, somewhat hazy yellow into my Cantillon tumbler, with lots of small bubbles rising to the surface. A small head is there at first pour, but it quickly recedes into memory.

Aroma is that distinctive Cantillon lambic, sharp, sour, and good for cleaning sinuses. Citric acid (not citrus fruit) and perhaps a bit of a very dry white wine (but very gentle).

Flavor is also very familiar and lambic-like. Sharp hard edges, sour taste buds working overtime. Are there really grapes in here? I can't taste them. But having said that, this is a very refreshing warm Saturday afternoon drinker.

I like it for those moments when only sour will do. (773 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -3.3%

02/04/07- Purchased at Ledgers Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, both capped and corked. Dating is listed on cork...I believe this one was an '04. Poured into my Lindemans flute.

Appearance- Peach hazed pour. About as flat as flat can be. Very light lace spotting. Cork came out without a sound.

Smell- Funk and more funk. Hay, urine, rotted fruit....oh yeah! Some sour acidic fruit notes as well.

Taste- I've had this one once before on tap at the Toronado. It was my first lambic style ever. I had to chase every sip with a sip of water. It was that sour. This time around it wasn't that bad. It was pretty sour, but easliy taken down. Peachy-orange notes mixed with sour muscat grapes make a good combo.

Mouthfeel- Fairly dry mouthfeel with no carbonation.

Drinkability- Probably my favorite of the line to date. Seemed the easiest to suck down without burning a hole in my stomach lining. Muscat grapes work well in lambics apparently. (976 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: hazy orange with some reddish tones. A wispy head and no lacing develops during the session. Many carbonation bubbles stick to the glass.

Smell: sour grapes are strong on the nose.

Taste: huge sour grape flavor with yeast, honey, and mild alcohol tones. Very dry. The sourness is bold but the tastebuds get accustomed to it quickly.

Mouthfeel: dry and smooth throughout. Aftertaste is bold but short, as the sourness seems to assault the tastebuds into submission. Medium bodied beer.

Drinkability: definitely down a few notches as the sourness tires the the tongue by the end of the glass. But the flavors are interesting and unique. Worth giving this a try if you like extremes. (706 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

As you can see from the previous two reviews, I brought a bottle of Cantillon Vigneronne to the home of akorsak who was generous enough to have johnnym2002 and I over for a tasting. I am now back at my office with my note book but I have what was left of the 750 in a glass right now and I am delighted. These guys were a bit taken a back by the harshness of this beer (and it is harsh) but I enjoyed the abuse. Is it a sick fetish? I couldn't say but knock me down and holler uncle, this beer will bitch slap you from one side and when you turn a cheek it'll smack the other.

Appearance: It pours a murky orange fuzzy naval color with a quickly fading head and dismissible (almost non-existent) lacing.

Smell: Acidic tart sour funky take your pick they apply. It made me think of applecider vinegar and powerful green grape-skin scent.

Taste: My man Adam described it as a "Wall of Sourness." He is absolutely correct. If you can get past the wall then you'll discover a world of complexity here that more than just harshness. It has a grapeskin vinegar start, muscat grapes, but some specs of sweetness are detectable between all the sour and yeast funk. A lemon and apple character I sense. As you are about to swallow the beer forces a lipsmacking pucker so forceful it may hurt your jaw. So be careful. I love it. The aftertaste is just as intense. Like sucking on the lemon after a shot of tequila in tense. Again I say, I love it. =)

Mouthfeel: Wow is this ever tart and acidic and dry. The dryness has no end. It literally linger until you wash it down with something else. I am still trying to lick my lips and add some moisture back to them. Darn ... now I took another sip. Clearly they will be numb until I'm done.

Drinkability: I can not give this better than good even though I enjoyed it greatly, because it is simply too intense. I will certainly have it again. I was ecstatic to try it again (as I only had a small sample previously) but still I was pleased to share it with some friends. Thanks John and Adam for experiencing this beer with me.

Cheers!
Matt (2,094 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Sampled from a 750ml bottle, split with akorsak and Phatz.

A - Poured a cloudy pear color with a small head that left a good lacing around the glass the whole way down.

S - Difficult to put a finger on it, but without making it sound putrid, smells almost stale on a powerful grape backbone.

T - Tartness is almost overwhelming...be warned in advance. I can say that for the style, the mixture of sour grapes and acidic citrus/spice works very well. It's not quite my style of choice by any means, but the sourness is appropriate for the lambic.

M - Medium-to-light body that remained bubbly with a crisp finish.

D - Again, it's not my forte, so it's hard for me to be completely unbiased...haven't had many from this style, but it definitely fits. It seems like much more of an acquired taste than I am used to. (827 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -11.8%

A bottle split with JohnnyM2002 and Phatz.

A: The ale is a slightly hazy goldenrod color with a thick head that quickly dissolves to a white ring around the glass.

S: The aroma is thick with brettanomyces tartness. There is also a green grape sourness mixed in.

T: The flavor is a continuation of the nose. The ale is sour, tart, puckering. Very intense, it combines some green grape tartness, sweet and fresh but very tangy, with a brett-infused harshness. Be warned, your mouth will never be the same.

M: The mouthfeel is tart, green grapes and acidic dryness. It does not let up at all.

D: The drinkability is limited by my general dislike for the style. It packs a punch and makes you regret/anticipate each sip. (731 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.4%

750ml bottle purchased from Merchant's in Dearborn.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange in my snifter. There is a minimal white head that hangs around for the party.

Smell: Hole-hearted barnyard, barrel-aged funk. Little bit of spices and tropical fruits. I could smell this for hours. It lets you know that you are in for something special. Mouthpuckering sourness awaits....

Taste: Yep...Damn this is tart and funky. Taste follows the aroma. Lots of sourness upfront followed by slight grape skin dryness. Nice dry and tart finish. Simply amazing.

Mouthfeel: This coats the mouth with puckering sourness. It's like sucking on 20 sour patch kids at once. Nice...

Drinkability: For a true Lambic, this is one of the most drinkable. I could easily down a 750 of this. Definitely makes you want more and more.

This is my favorite of the Cantillon offerings I've had so far. Another excellent lambic out of this wonderful brewery. I am becoming more and more amazed with every Cantillon I have. This is another one to be savored. If you like your beers sour, this one is for you. Go in with an open mind, and lets you senses get abused. Worth every penny of the $14.99. (1,189 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Served in a flute glass. Pours a cloudy pale yellow-orange color with a barely there beige filmly head. Highly carbonated. Tight bubbles throughout drinking.

Smells strong of wild yeast, grapefruit, mustly grapes, and a vague lemon smell. Just plain smells sour, in a good way.

Crisp and refreshing taste. Tart grapefruit initially with a very brief earthy, winey-grape sweetness that finishes with a pleasant dry yeasty tartness and sourness. The flavors transition quite well.

Light bodied, perfectly carbonated. Slightly tingly on the mouthfeel, but I think it adds to the experience. Very crisp finish; you can't wait to get more.

Easy to drink, but I think 1 or 2 is the limit here. This is a beer to savour and enjoy all the fruity sour goodness. If you're looking for a chugging beer, this is not it. (820 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer was served in a flute glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a hazy light peach coloration. The head was a thin biege ring around the glass. Tight bubbling carbonation rises to the top of the glass.

Smell: The beer is loaded with funky musty bret yeastyness. The beer has great fruity esters floating around the smell. I think I catch a suggestion of sweet muscatal grapes. The beer has a lemony cider sort of smell.

Taste: This beer is very sharp and crisply acidic. Needless to say the pucker factor is very high. This beer has a lead in with a suggestion of muscatal grapes. The beer then proceeds to go sour. The sourness grows from a lemony sour to the expected bret sourness. The beer has a very earthy finish.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a light body. The beer is lightly carbonated. The beer is very tart and acidic. Both the tartness and the acidity help create an oddly refreshing beer drinking experience. This beer is not for every beer drinker. If you dont like sour beers look else where. (1,031 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Cantillon Vigneronne
750 ML green corked bottle with tin foil wrap
2001 bottle
Served in a Duck Walk vineyard champagne flute

Pours a cloudy orange and mustard yellow blend. Thin white lace for a head that is concentrated with mini carbonation bubbles.

Funky nose with whiffs of white wine, apple cider vinegar and baked bread.

Sour twang with a freshly sliced lemon citrus punch and a dash of black pepper. The ultimate cross of lemon and lime tartness with a funky Lambic presence. So tart and sour that the tastebuds scream in fear. I have to emphasize the striking vinegar snap on the palate. Salt and vinegar potato chip blast with a citrus fruit backdrop.

The mouthfeel is mighty intense and provocative on the palate. I find myself sipping this beer quickly; more and more interested at finding out what is going on here.

Enjoyable, unique, authentic and mysterious. (895 characters)

Cantillon Vigneronne from Brasserie Cantillon