Cantillon Vigneronne - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon VigneronneCantillon Vigneronne

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 07-23-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Vigneronne Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

3.88/5  rDev -11.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2004 vintage (according to the cork) acquired from mikeyv35. Thanks Mike.

A: Pours a hazy straw/gold body -- and no, I didn't get the dregs, so I can't blame that this time. Not much in the way of head; it looks like a standard lambic, I suppose.

S: Horse blanket and hay. Just a whisper of leather and moss. There's a sharp, musty rotting/organic aroma that I was having trouble pinning down. "Musty" is about the best I can do. It was a little harsh even, reminding me of [what I think is] cat piss, but no one else agreed with me.

T: Funky. Barnyard (hay, horse blanket). Leather is slight, just as in the nose. Soft lemon. Grape tannins are evident, even though their sweetness and tartness has faded out. Slight oak, with a balanced lactic sourness. It's not a particularly dry beer, which is nice; I think it tempers what can sometimes be a tough style to handle.

M: Tannic finish. Carbonation is low; it could be higher for better scrubbing. I find that necessary in fruit lambics.

D: Very tasty. It's not my favorite fruit lambic, but it is quite good.

(Yes, this one did give me GI distress within a few hours.)

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

Got a bottle of Vigneronne at the Monk's Cell to help celebrate my marriage. Forgive any sentimentality that clouds my judgement!

Hazy golden-white color, almost like a white wine, with a bone white head that sits up straight and tall, but quickly relaxes to nothing but a thin ring sticking to the goblet.

Nose is tangy, lightly lemon-solvent-like, with significant notes of riesling-style white wine, but mustier. Also sweeter, both from a grainy ghostiness and a more full-bodied honey note.

Quite sour, with an up-front pucker that's undeniable. Addictively so; just like the capsaicin keeps you coming back for more chili peppers, this beer keeps me coming back for more of that funky tartness. Fruity, definite characteristics of wine and grapes, but sweet and lightly-bodied like a terrific ale.

This is a hell of a beer. Not for everyone, and not for all the time. I'm privileged to have enjoyed it, and under such fine circumstances, I feel doubly so. Thank you Cantillon, for another sublime product.

4.49/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

75cl bottle from late 2012, generously shared by Dustin at our crazy bottle share last night, 10/5/2013. Poured into a Zwanze 2013 glass.

Review #227.

Pours a hazy golden straw body with surprisingly less effervescence than other Cantillons. Lacing is thicker and retains very well. This is a very pretty, light-coloured sour compared to the others I've had.

Compared to Cuvée St-Gilloise, this has a lot more of the classic musty Brasserie funk that I get in the Classic.. although not as full-bore as the Classic is. I love it, some people hate it but its such an unique smell that I've come to enjoy very much. The nice thing about this is that there are this crisp, tart grape notes that smells so incredibly refreshing. Smells somewhat sour, mostly vinegar.

This isn't the most sour Cantillon out there, but it is probably the most refreshing one I've had. It's sour, but also has a very nice tartness to it, which I imagine are from the grapes. A bit of lemon acidity, white grape tartness all complementing the horse blanket funk of the base lambic. Its a very clean beer with a lot of different, yet complementary flavours.

Lighter body, very well-carbonated, easy to drink with a dry, tart grape-y finish. Gets some more acidity as the beer warms up.

An enjoyable one to drink. I came into this one not expecting too much out of this Cantillon, but this one definitely exceeded expectations. So clean, crisp, sour, funky and fruity all in once. I highly recommend this one!

4.33/5  rDev -1.6%

2009 Bottle, 750ml

A - It pours a turbid peach-orange hue, with a short lived head; subsequently, it looks fairly still. Several times I declined to drink this beer because it looked like too much yeast/sediment had been disturbed, and I assumed the bottle had been jostled. Prior to opening this, this bottle was undisturbed for over a month, which did nothing to drop the haze out of suspension.

S - The nose suggests tart lemon and lime, musty basement, farm-barn-hay and fairly strong lactic notes. I do not discern anything particularly vinous of note, aside from that which would normally be present in a Gueuze or Lambic; if there weren't grapes on the label (and I didn't know about Cantillons) I would not guess that this was a Muscat Lambic.

T - The taste is bracingly sour, more so than I was anticipating. There is, again, not much grape; the flavor is more towards lime pith and sour lemon, with musty wet wood and dank basement rounding it out. Lactic notes are evident much more than Brett. Some apple skin is noted as it airs out.

M - Fairly still in appearance, it is surprisingly lively on the tongue. The relatively low carbonation accentuates the sour flavors, allowing them to linger without mitigation.

O - Not Cantillons finest, but damn good anyway.

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at blue dog landsdale.

A- comes to me with a slight wisp of head nothing much to speak of. Hazy dull yellow in color that gives a nice glow when lit from behind.

S- hugh funky barnyard and crushed muscat grapes. Dusty and musty. Lemon juice.

T- tart and sour with under ripe green grapes, lemon juice. Nice lacto character. Funky oak and a hint of white wine vinegar and other vineous hints.

M- medium to light in body with a small tingly carb that slowly builds and adds to the nice pucker. Dry finish.

D- very tart and sour with bugs galore. Oaky and juicy. Very enjoyable indeed. With two glasses in me and some nice cheese life is good.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottled 12/24/08, enjoyed at the wine bar across the street from Great Lakes 13 months later.

Nice straw colored beer with a mini white head.

Nose smells nice, mellow enough but nice hints of grapes, lemon, and just enough wildness from the brett. This is one of the more appealing pungent sours I've had, there's something about it that seems bright and crisp.

Taste is wonderful. An intense and awesome rush of sour but not too overpowering a burn like some other Cantillon beers can be. Lemons, wonderfully complex barnyard funk, bright and sharp without being too lactic. This is an extremely flavorful beer with restraint and balance, a rare thing to find.

Perfect carbonation and a nice body. This one was a great alternative for my fiancee and I to drink while our friends got some wine. I must say there are one or two Cantillons I enjoy more, but this was really awesome. One of the most drinkable extremely sour beers out there.

4.4/5  rDev 0%

4.48/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a stemmed tulip. This was bottled in November 2011 so it has about a year and a half of age on it, as of this review.

Appearance: Pours a nice honey color and leaves very little white, fizzy head - less than a finger.

Smell: White grapes, green apple, some funk - decent amount of sour but not overbearing by any means - very light and balanced.

Taste: Matches the scent - white grapes, funk, sour green apple, oak - definitely has a white wine quality to it. There is a nice oaky finish. This one has the perfect amount of sour to it and is delicious - just the right balances.

Mouth-feel: Exceedingly smooth, medium carbonation to it, on the lighter side of a medium body.

Overall: I was very impressed with this lambic - I think 1.5 years in the bottle has done it well. This is very well balanced and the muscat grapes definitely give this one some delicious flavors. I could drink a lot of this stuff!

4.49/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml, 11/23/12
HF stem

A: Pours crystal clear pale yellow orange. Frothy bright white bubbled head. Fades quick. Nicely carbonated.

S: Loon funk. Dry barnyard. Dusty. Dry oak. White wine grapes.

T: Prickly carbonation. Sourness on the tip of tongue.

M: Light bodied.