Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
Reviews by the Alström Bros:
Jason

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

Very underwhelming. Love the flavor and idea but the head, mouth feel and even flavor suffers from a straight-out flatness. Ripe pear in the nose, slick mouth feel and a pleasant tartness of fallen apples. Tartness fades and depth is lost ... Not worth the high price tag at all.

01-28-2011 04:15:36 | More by Jason
RoyalT

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance – The big, typical monster head lies atop the light orange body. Lacing? Yes, everywhere. The mag let out a huge bellow of smoke when I popped its cork.

Smell – This is incredibly strong. There’s a sweet, pungent, sour aroma full of spice including clove, coriander, allspice, and many others. There’s also a touch of yeast in there but it’s mostly about the sour and spicy base. The oak aroma rings throughout.

Taste – Here we go. This spicy, sour ale is a real heavy hitter. I wasn’t able to pick up in the taste anything that I couldn’t in the scent, but all the ingredients are magnified times ten. The spicy flavors are almost chalky on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation gives this some body, but the puckering effect of the flavors will have your mouth moving in all kinds of strange contortions.

Drinkability – You will love or hate this bottle. Either way, it is very complex. The depths of the flavors are beyond reproach.

09-09-2003 03:50:54 | More by RoyalT
SkiBum22

05-25-2014 08:53:14 | More by SkiBum22
lordofthewiens

Maine

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%

Tough beer to review; not like others I've had. Poured into a flute, it's a dark yellow with no carbonation. It looks like a glass of wine. An intriguing fruity, musty aroma, with perhaps a little spice. Sour fruit (apple) taste. Very still. I initially didn't like it, but as it warmed a little and I got used to it, I began to enjoy it more. I'll probably try it again.

02-28-2007 21:44:42 | More by lordofthewiens
moderndrunkard

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a slightly foggy, apple juice color (I was pleased to see that description in CAMRA's review as well). There is absolutely zero head with just a small amount of bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass immediately after a hard pour. Maybe there was just dust in my glass, but I see a lot of something loating around in there when I hold it up to the light.

You can smell this one as soon as you start to pour, it fills the room. An acidic, wine-like smell, and, as would be customary for Cantillon, very, very, sour.

Wow. This beer has no carbonation whatsoever. But is does have a sour bite that runs all over my tongue. A wonder of a beer that brings to mind a dry wine, white or red, more than anything else. Grapes, definitely grapes.

Midway through first glass, I think, "Man, one would be fine, but I don't know about drinking a whole bottle." Too bad I still have two-thirds of the bottle still sitting in the fridge.

Personally, I'd prefer a gueze or a framboise. Without the carbonation the tartness can be very overpowering. But all in all, this is a wholly unique brew, and I highly recommend it.

04-28-2006 13:17:12 | More by moderndrunkard
tigg924

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a Chimay glass--bottle dated 16-Nov-2009

Appearance: orange in color, clear, minimal head, low carbonation

Smell: sour mix and oak--very white wine like

Taste: sour mix, big oak, alcohol, and light fruit

Mouthfeel: slightly sour, tart, dry, light body with low carbonation

Drinkability: A very different brew. My first reaction was I really like the way the oak mixes with the sour. After the sourness numbed my tastes some, I realized how much this tastes like a good dry white wine. This one is a sipper and I would be curious to get it on draft. However, I am not likely to pick up another bottle at the price point. A good solid beer that is worthy of trying--at least once.

08-02-2010 13:59:37 | More by tigg924
Mora2000

Bottled November 16, 2009.

The beer pours a clear orange color with a small white head. The aroma is awesome with very tart lemons as well as some oak notes. The flavor is pretty good, but not near as tart or sour as the aroma led me to believe it would be. I get notes of lemons with some oak. The beer is extremely dry. The only real problem I have with the beer is that the body is extremely thin and watery. The carbonation is very low.

06-26-2010 18:38:59 | More by Mora2000

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

06-30-2012 15:42:05 | More by standardcherry
jcdiflorio

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

750 ml. bottle corked and capped.Mirky golden,amber hues very thin speckled coating of a head.Very fine dark particles of yeast suspended.

Very sour fruity/acidic aromas,apples/pears slight citrus/lemony and funky yeast with bubble gum and very slight vinegar notes

Very thin,light mouthfeel,acidic,very tart fruitiness,green unripen apples,lemon rind,very earthy with wooden cask notes,very dry husky finish, vinious qualities start to finish with a slight touch of peppery vinegar aftertastes.

12-24-2008 03:08:56 | More by jcdiflorio
ehammond1

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle

Belgian Beer Festival 2011
Pizza Port
Carlsbad, CA

Golden orange with a touch of yellow. No head. No lacing. This was billed as a "still lambic," so this complete lack of bubbles isn't surprising, nor do I find it as a fault with this beer.

A relatively faint aroma, though what's in the glass is nice: musty funk, grass, hay, and some bright lemon. Good, but not exciting or at all overpowering.

The flavor is of lemon, general tart sourness, some musty funk, and hay. I think the lack of any carbonation hurts the flavor of the beer. I've found that the added body actually helps myself find, describe, and pick out more subtle flavors.

The stillness and lack of carbonation makes this lambic seem somewhat heavy and oily.

A decent enough lambic, though I prefer mine with bubbles. Above average, but my least favorite offering from Cantillon.

08-11-2011 21:16:10 | More by ehammond1
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

A green 375ml half-champagne bottle with a cork & crown. 2007 vintage; bottled in 2010. Acquired a little while back from a webshop (though I also have a 750ml bottle I picked up at the brewery). The front label shows a building from the Grand Place de Bruxelles, along with a red poppy - I wonder why the poppy is there?

Poured into a Delirium chalice. A bright golden-amber hue with faint haze and no carbonation whatsoever. Yields a few frothy bubbles upon pouring but these disappear almost immediately. Looks about right - after 3 years of aging the CO2 has taken a walk. Aroma of tart, acidic lemon with a distinct vinous quality and a whiff of vinegar. Musty, yeasty and dry, with a hint of woodiness. Superb.

Tastes of sharp lemon accompanied by acidic grapes. Very dry, with notes of vinegar, musty yeast, wine, faint wood and lactic acid. A pervasive, raw sourness defines the flavour. Mouthfeel is smooth and mouth-puckeringly astringent, but rather thin and texture-less. Aftertaste of tangy vinegar and hints of sour lemon.

Impressive - while there are a number of Belgian lambic brewers very few of them sell an unblended lambic (arguably the purest form of lambic beer if not the pinnacle of the art). Bruocsella delivers everything you expect from Cantillon; it's intensely dry and sour, with a light fruity character and musty depth. The only let-down is the mouthfeel - the absence of carbonation removes a desirable dimension from the body (I realise this is a contradiction, as unblended lambics are uncarbonated). However, it remains a brilliant effort - the flavour of time itself. A must-try brew; don't pass it up.

07-28-2012 23:05:45 | More by jazzyjeff13

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

11-16-2013 04:25:17 | More by chickenm
yankeeheel

Maine

Bottled in 2003. Pours a clear golden straw with no head at all.

Smells quite musty and sour. I get a bit of that wet blanket smell that others speak of and some very subtle floral notes as well.

Tastes exceptionally sour and tart. Lots of citrus. Lemon dominates with some orange, canteloupe, and grapefruit as well. It's a little bit of a shock to the mouth at first but I quickly grow to like it. Finishes dry with some more mouth puckering acid.

Mouthfeel...hard to say. This is my first real lambic. It's moderate and enjoyable.

I think I could drink this from time to time. I'd like to explore the rest of the Cantillon line.

04-15-2004 23:04:00 | More by yankeeheel
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

The joke was on me the first time I popped one of these. I'm used to popping the crown on Cantillon and not hearing any "psscchhht" of carbonation releasing from the bottle, until my noob ways realized there was still a cork underneath. Well anyways, I'm sure if you've had this beer already, you know where I'm going with this, but for the uninitiated, well, I was real bummed that this one was for real, it was barely/not at all carbonated. Of course I didn't know it is supposed to be that way with this beer, but what the hey.

Looks like a dark gold, flat, listless. Force pour yields next to nothing. Smell is quite nice, gueuze funkiness all over it. Tart barnyard. Substantial malted wheat. Kind of drinks like a sour white wine given its total lack of carbonation. Pretty dry for having no carbonation, you would think it would stick and be heavy, but no.

Regardless of it being traditional as a three year old unblended lambic, it just is light years beyond the enjoyability I get from drinking almost anything else in the Cantillon lineup. Toss this one and Mamouche on their rears, focus on everything else they make, because they're all world class to me when you exclude those two.

01-19-2013 21:26:06 | More by Beerandraiderfan
williamjbauer

02-16-2014 02:46:49 | More by williamjbauer
WVbeergeek

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottled 2003 after being aged in an oak barrel for three years. Appearance: After a vigorous pour forms with thin large bubles and quickly fades away leaves behind an apple juice looking nectar. Aroma: So much exubrance of crazy aromas that probably shouldn't be in a beer, however this is a lambic. Tones of barnyard funk, acidic leathery qualities, woody finish fromt the oak barrel aging is evident, extreme in my book for being so different and traditional to this ancient craft. Taste: More stand offish when it comes to sourness, yes it is extremely sour but more mellow than other Cantillon products I sampled aggressive tartness blended with an oak flavor and tons of wild flavors barnyard in nature is how most describe this stuff. Mouthfeel: Medium body coats the palate with a dry finish, completely unique and hard to describe. Drinkability: Wow, not me I can't sit here and sip on it like a lemonade challenges my palate with many alien tones, but I see why this artform is so highly regarded I have a great respect for it.

02-03-2004 00:27:02 | More by WVbeergeek
OStrungT

4.35/5  rDev +11%

This beer pours a golden yellow color with almost no head. What little head is present is white. It leaves a tiny lacing in the glass.

This beer has a sour aroma. It smells slightly of vinegar. It has a very subtle citrus aroma as well. I slight yeasty aroma is also present.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. It has a tart, citrus flavor. It is quite sour tasting. A slight vinegar flavor is present. Some earthy yeast is there also, but it is covered mostly by the strong sour flavor.

This beer leaves a sour aftertaste. It is a little aggressive, due to the sour flavor. It is very low in carbonation.

I think this beer would make a decent session beer. The only problem would be the sour flavor getting cloying after too many.

Overall: I am glad to have tried this beer. I liked it, and would definately have it again.

03-10-2007 21:17:13 | More by OStrungT

jeonseh

Indiana

3.14/5  rDev -19.9%

Bottle at Local Option

A - Dark golden with brown hues and a frothy white head. Looks flat. There is a small frothy white head that settled down

S - Dark fruit and figs. Reminds me of an English Christmas pudding as there is a slight booziness to it as well. There is a slight tartness that comes up in the back of the nose as well

T - Musty with light nutmeg, dates, and oak. Slight tart presence to it as well. However, the musty aspect really takes over for me.

M - Tastes watery and flat. From what I can tell this is intentional but that doesn't mean I think it's good.

O - Not a huge fan of this one. It reminds me of a flat gueuze with a mustier and dark fruit aspect to it. Worth trying but I'll pass going forward

03-26-2013 01:22:22 | More by jeonseh
glid02

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle purchased from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with just a few large bubbles on top that quickly recede into a glassy layer. No lacing and only thin legs.

Smells musty and acidic with hints of orange and lemon peels and lighter hints of wheat. As it warms the tart acidic aromas, slightly vinegar-like, intensify.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Nondescript malt flavors up front segue quickly into tartness on top of tartness. Again, hints of lemon and orange peel are distinguishable however the tartness is overarching. Midway through the sip a good deal of mustiness pervades, like not quite dry hay. The ending is crisp and, yes, tart.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a slick mouthfeel with very light carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. I finished my glass however it won't be easy to have another.

Overall I'm glad I finally get to taste an unblended lambic however now I see why they're normally blended. This is a very well made beer but it lacks a bit of complexity normally found by adding and augmenting one beer with another. Still, very well worth a shot if for nothing but education.

02-15-2010 22:37:31 | More by glid02
girllovesbier

11-27-2011 08:58:04 | More by girllovesbier
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Pretty wierd stuff. No head whatsoever, murky light brown to slight orange appearance, very balsamic, tart nose. It attacks your tongue with brutal sourness!!!! Amazingly mouth puckering, veeeery sour. Quite earthy in aroma and taste, and extremely dry, which i like. This was one of those beers that you don't know if you truly love or hate, and thats how it got me.

07-24-2002 02:25:32 | More by rastaman