Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Reviews by gbontrag:
4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

How unusual!! And perplexing. This is a still bottling of a single barrel, (in otherwords, no yeast/sugar added to promote carbonation in the bottle). If I am to contemplate this I would say it sounds like a marketing gimmick. Especially, that there is the added "Grand Cru" designation. Again, sounds like a smart way to market extra barrel-aged beer that otherwise doesn't have a home. I've never been to Belgium though, and don't know how often they serve still samples of unblended lambic, so I won't say more then 'I'm surprised'. After reading the reviews I see that some years are carbonated. This here is from 2003, and certainly has no carbonation.
Pours still, no carbonation. Makes the glass appear to be sweating from the inside as bubbles collect on the inside. A beer that makes a glass sweat on the inside must have powerful soul. Looks like rusty water. First glance says, "thin." However, upon further gaze and concentration while I roll my hand this is definitely viscuous, and soapy the way it grips the glass.
A breeze past my flaring nostrils catches musty basement, sweating sour wood, mild white wine vinegar; A second pass and I pick up cooing baby pee diaper, vanilla, apples under a full-size apple tree in August next to an open stable. Deep inhale and it all comes together as though I were sitting on a sweating pony that is munching on those fallen, fermenting apples.
This has a thick-water feel that is mineral rich as though the water sat in a cistern for a long while. It has the affect that I get upon chewing on some fresh bio-dynamic spinach: The corners of my mouth are itchy with minerals, and acid. The oak is puckering. The body is as soft as the favorite parts of my lover. Did someone sqeeze a fruit tree through a juicer here? This is so dry except for a keel of honey thinned with green apple juice, a couple drops of tropical fruit essence, and grain soaking water. The sourness is so pervasive, but smooth. Sip after sip gives me pleasure that is both relaxing, and inpsiring. This is a real transport beyond time. This kind of pleasure is why people smoke a pin joint every evening; or pour a couple fingers of bourbon, or scotch; or light aromatherapy candles around the bath/hot tub. This is gentle relaxation. It is the definition of idle time well spent. (2,310 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%

Mellowed out cellared bottle.Just a mellow cantillon sounress and oak flavour, but well done on that account. Went well went varied with a doppleback and a mead. Cloudy yellow with no lace. Medium mouthfeel with acid that was tolerable. tart, dry finish. (254 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Bottled in 2005. Equal parts ripe apricot and amber, possibly favoring the former. A static cloud of fine yeast gives the beer needed visual interest (since the head is nearly absent). As I understand it, lambics are essentially uncarbonated, hence the lack of foam and lace. Given that it's supposed to look like this, it isn't easy to pick a score.

The aroma has a lot in common with white grape juice that is incredibly tart and acidic rather than sweet. There's also a funkiness that is much less... uh... funky than Brettanomyces and is completely different in character. I expect to like this one.

Wow that's tart! If I was an oenophile, I'm sure there's some wine that I could compare this unblended lambic to. How about a bottle of whatever white wine is most puckery, acidic and dry... mixed with a few ounces of apple cider vinegar and a shot of freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Cantillon Broucsella 1900 Grand Cru is definitely different, but I can see myself acquiring this acquired taste over time. Having said that, getting through the entire '750' won't be easy. If you like acidic, pop a few Tums, pull the cork and pour.

The thing that keeps me from loving what is undoubtedly a classic unblended lambic is the lack of depth and complexity. On the other hand, maybe I just can't appreciate it due to my relative unfamiliarity with beer of this style. In the end, I prefer the added flavor of raspberries in Rose De Gambrinus and the added flavor of grapes in Saint Lamvinus.

Like the appearance, I'm finding it hard to come up with a mouthfeel score that respects the style guidelines while still staying true to my sensory impressions. At the risk of being thought unsophisticated, it's thin and borderline flat and I don't love it.

I've heard all sorts of scary things about real lambics (not those stickysweet fruit lambics that qualify as chick beer). About how they're hard-edged, uncompromising, extremely variable from batch to batch, and so on. Broucsella 1900 Grand Cru is pretty easy to live with and the first half has gone well enough. When it's all said and done, though, I don't think I'll be plunking down the cash for another bottle. (2,171 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – The big, typical monster head lies atop the light orange body. Lacing? Yes, everywhere. The mag let out a huge bellow of smoke when I popped its cork.

Smell – This is incredibly strong. There’s a sweet, pungent, sour aroma full of spice including clove, coriander, allspice, and many others. There’s also a touch of yeast in there but it’s mostly about the sour and spicy base. The oak aroma rings throughout.

Taste – Here we go. This spicy, sour ale is a real heavy hitter. I wasn’t able to pick up in the taste anything that I couldn’t in the scent, but all the ingredients are magnified times ten. The spicy flavors are almost chalky on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation gives this some body, but the puckering effect of the flavors will have your mouth moving in all kinds of strange contortions.

Drinkability – You will love or hate this bottle. Either way, it is very complex. The depths of the flavors are beyond reproach. (972 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.02/5  rDev +3.3%

4.48/5  rDev +15.2%

3.54/5  rDev -9%

Tough beer to review; not like others I've had. Poured into a flute, it's a dark yellow with no carbonation. It looks like a glass of wine. An intriguing fruity, musty aroma, with perhaps a little spice. Sour fruit (apple) taste. Very still. I initially didn't like it, but as it warmed a little and I got used to it, I began to enjoy it more. I'll probably try it again. (371 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a slightly foggy, apple juice color (I was pleased to see that description in CAMRA's review as well). There is absolutely zero head with just a small amount of bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass immediately after a hard pour. Maybe there was just dust in my glass, but I see a lot of something loating around in there when I hold it up to the light.

You can smell this one as soon as you start to pour, it fills the room. An acidic, wine-like smell, and, as would be customary for Cantillon, very, very, sour.

Wow. This beer has no carbonation whatsoever. But is does have a sour bite that runs all over my tongue. A wonder of a beer that brings to mind a dry wine, white or red, more than anything else. Grapes, definitely grapes.

Midway through first glass, I think, "Man, one would be fine, but I don't know about drinking a whole bottle." Too bad I still have two-thirds of the bottle still sitting in the fridge.

Personally, I'd prefer a gueze or a framboise. Without the carbonation the tartness can be very overpowering. But all in all, this is a wholly unique brew, and I highly recommend it. (1,131 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Very underwhelming. Love the flavor and idea but the head, mouth feel and even flavor suffers from a straight-out flatness. Ripe pear in the nose, slick mouth feel and a pleasant tartness of fallen apples. Tartness fades and depth is lost ... Not worth the high price tag at all. (279 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a Chimay glass--bottle dated 16-Nov-2009

Appearance: orange in color, clear, minimal head, low carbonation

Smell: sour mix and oak--very white wine like

Taste: sour mix, big oak, alcohol, and light fruit

Mouthfeel: slightly sour, tart, dry, light body with low carbonation

Drinkability: A very different brew. My first reaction was I really like the way the oak mixes with the sour. After the sourness numbed my tastes some, I realized how much this tastes like a good dry white wine. This one is a sipper and I would be curious to get it on draft. However, I am not likely to pick up another bottle at the price point. A good solid beer that is worthy of trying--at least once. (695 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

4.02/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottled November 16, 2009.

The beer pours a clear orange color with a small white head. The aroma is awesome with very tart lemons as well as some oak notes. The flavor is pretty good, but not near as tart or sour as the aroma led me to believe it would be. I get notes of lemons with some oak. The beer is extremely dry. The only real problem I have with the beer is that the body is extremely thin and watery. The carbonation is very low. (442 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.57/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

3.5/5  rDev -10%

750 ml. bottle corked and capped.Mirky golden,amber hues very thin speckled coating of a head.Very fine dark particles of yeast suspended.

Very sour fruity/acidic aromas,apples/pears slight citrus/lemony and funky yeast with bubble gum and very slight vinegar notes

Very thin,light mouthfeel,acidic,very tart fruitiness,green unripen apples,lemon rind,very earthy with wooden cask notes,very dry husky finish, vinious qualities start to finish with a slight touch of peppery vinegar aftertastes. (497 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle

Belgian Beer Festival 2011
Pizza Port
Carlsbad, CA

Golden orange with a touch of yellow. No head. No lacing. This was billed as a "still lambic," so this complete lack of bubbles isn't surprising, nor do I find it as a fault with this beer.

A relatively faint aroma, though what's in the glass is nice: musty funk, grass, hay, and some bright lemon. Good, but not exciting or at all overpowering.

The flavor is of lemon, general tart sourness, some musty funk, and hay. I think the lack of any carbonation hurts the flavor of the beer. I've found that the added body actually helps myself find, describe, and pick out more subtle flavors.

The stillness and lack of carbonation makes this lambic seem somewhat heavy and oily.

A decent enough lambic, though I prefer mine with bubbles. Above average, but my least favorite offering from Cantillon. (860 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

A green 375ml half-champagne bottle with a cork & crown. 2007 vintage; bottled in 2010. Acquired a little while back from a webshop (though I also have a 750ml bottle I picked up at the brewery). The front label shows a building from the Grand Place de Bruxelles, along with a red poppy - I wonder why the poppy is there?

Poured into a Delirium chalice. A bright golden-amber hue with faint haze and no carbonation whatsoever. Yields a few frothy bubbles upon pouring but these disappear almost immediately. Looks about right - after 3 years of aging the CO2 has taken a walk. Aroma of tart, acidic lemon with a distinct vinous quality and a whiff of vinegar. Musty, yeasty and dry, with a hint of woodiness. Superb.

Tastes of sharp lemon accompanied by acidic grapes. Very dry, with notes of vinegar, musty yeast, wine, faint wood and lactic acid. A pervasive, raw sourness defines the flavour. Mouthfeel is smooth and mouth-puckeringly astringent, but rather thin and texture-less. Aftertaste of tangy vinegar and hints of sour lemon.

Impressive - while there are a number of Belgian lambic brewers very few of them sell an unblended lambic (arguably the purest form of lambic beer if not the pinnacle of the art). Bruocsella delivers everything you expect from Cantillon; it's intensely dry and sour, with a light fruity character and musty depth. The only let-down is the mouthfeel - the absence of carbonation removes a desirable dimension from the body (I realise this is a contradiction, as unblended lambics are uncarbonated). However, it remains a brilliant effort - the flavour of time itself. A must-try brew; don't pass it up. (1,641 characters)

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon