1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
Ratings: 545 | Reviews: 285 | Show All Ratings:
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.01/5  rDev +2.3%

750ml, 2009 edition, poured into a Cantillon fruit lambic glass today, 1/22/2014 as part of our cellar/extras cleaning tasting.

Review #400!

App- Pours a slightly hazy dark golden-yellow body. Absolutely no head despite a 90 degree pour into the glass. Without the head, it actually looks more appealing just the same.

Smell- Oak, lots of barnyard Cantillon funk, grape skin, pears, bit of cane sugar. No vinegar in the nose

Flavour- Lots of barnyard Cantillon funk, a bit of grape skin and lemon tartness, with acidic vinegar that makes this a 5/10 sour. Also a bit cheesy. Tasty but certainly not complex

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied, flat with zero carbonation (obviously), very drinkable

Overall- Not super complex, tastes a lot like Classic Geuze but flat. An interesting take on the lambic, cool to try but if I had the choice between Classic Geuze and Bruocsella, I would take Classic anytime.

01-23-2014 07:00:56 | More by Stevedore
Jeffo

Netherlands

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Got this one at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a 750 into a wine glass
Lambic bio 2009
Bottled 12 October 2012

APPEARANCE: Pours flat with no head. Perfectly clear amber orange or orange-web in color with no carbonation at all. Looks like a flat lambic.

SMELL: Slightly milder aroma of barnyard, hay and some funky moldy hints. White wine, tart lemon aromas, green apples and pears as well. Nice, but lighter.

TASTE: Lemon tartness with green apples and vinegar flavors up front. Definitely green grapes and white wine through the middle into a milder finish of barnyard, light funk, grassy hops and vinegar lingering nicely on the palate. Some tart citrus flavors and a touch of acidity, but not much, linger as well. Interesting enough, but not quite as forthcoming as hoped.

PALATE: Lighter body and zero carbonation. Perfectly flat, which is fine for the style. Goes down fine and finishes quite dry. Not quite puckering, but crisp.

OVERALL: This is alright, but not as bold and flavorful as some others in the style. I would take a De Cam lambic over this nine times out of ten, for example. Still, this one is enjoyable and easy to drink, making it a perfect lambic to open on any occasion. Give this a shot if you get the chance, just be sure to try others in the style as well. Recommended.

01-06-2014 17:37:00 | More by Jeffo
facundoCNB

3.61/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

2009 bottle

Poured a honey golden color with a slim amount of bubbles around the glass. The aroma is wonderful.. Flower petals, mustard seed, sour candy, cheese, berries.
Woah the flavor is completely different... Very cheesy, nice and tart (lacto?), not getting any of the flowery or sweet fruit I was getting on the nose.
Light in body with no carbonation detectable.

This is so far my least favorite cantillon I have tried - maybe the lack of bubbles has something to do with it

11-01-2013 00:52:39 | More by facundoCNB
maximum12

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

One of the few remaining bottles we jammed into our luggage & lugged back from dirty, beautiful Brussels. Capped & corked 750ML bottle spit with my wife (who suitcased half of them).

Pour is clouded orange even leaving the loogie in the bottom, with close to or actuallly zippo in the way of carbonation. Lots of lemon & orange & apple hit the nose, with a strong foundation of tartness (not funk). Interest is piqued.

Bruocsella 1900 Grand Cru is razor sharp. Lemon juice you could slash a finger on is paired up oddly with a deep fall mustiness; not really digging the combo. Acidic but not overpoweringly so, & the sour is held in check. Strongly drying oak. Half a bomber of this was too much - could have been split several ways.

Just not digging the stale, just-before-the-snow-flies must that has wound its way into the DNA of this beer. Decent enough, but easily my least favorite of the pantheon we experienced during & after the trip.

10-13-2013 03:09:21 | More by maximum12
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

750 bottled 27 Jan. 2011.

Appearance. Pours a hazy gold with a little bit of amber, no head except for the bubbles from the pour (as expected).

Smell. Green apples, tart lemon juice, and a little funk, vinegar, and old wood.

Taste. Lemons and green apple again, some funky wood and aged earthy hops with a little grass. Fairly light on these flavours.

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body, flat as a board.

Overall. Not a fan of the no carbonation despite it being that way on purpose. Lacking a bit in flavour as well compared to other offerings. Nice to have tried but I won't be buying it again.

07-22-2013 02:39:35 | More by Rutager
Dreizhen

Georgia

4.23/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Golden and beautiful. A few bubbles in stasis. No head.

S: That amazing Cantillon funk. Oh how I love it. Sour and funky in the best possible way.

T: Simple, straight forward, and awesome. Not a ton going on here, but what there is is fantastic. I feel I say that about a lot of Cantillons. Somewhat like wine, somewhat like magic, 100% Lambic. Sour acidity finishes the profile out with a light, crisp ending.

M: Somewhat heavy, smooth, still, and fabulous. If you're not careful, you'll forget it's beer.

O: Love it. Great place to start with Cantillon.

07-09-2013 20:17:35 | More by Dreizhen
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into 5oz taster

A slight haze in a golden yellow body, very fine suspended particles and dead flat as expected, interesting

S pear, apple, lemon and cheesy funk, some earthy woody notes and some dry cereal

T matches the smell fairly well, sour and dry with mellow funk, lots of citric lemon notes and less woody notes then the nose but that still leaves plenty

M dead flat but I suppose I shouldn't consider it a fault seeing how its intentional, slick and has some tannin to it, sour but my not turning my mouth inside out, strange funky aftertaste lingers for ages

O interesting stuff for sure and I can't think of anything like it so that's always nice

I like it but don't quite love it, seeing how I don't think I've had Un-blended lambic before so personal taste may weigh in here more then normal. Cheers Ian for bringing it over

03-30-2013 03:19:27 | More by wordemupg
jeonseh

Indiana

3.14/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Bottle at Local Option

A - Dark golden with brown hues and a frothy white head. Looks flat. There is a small frothy white head that settled down

S - Dark fruit and figs. Reminds me of an English Christmas pudding as there is a slight booziness to it as well. There is a slight tartness that comes up in the back of the nose as well

T - Musty with light nutmeg, dates, and oak. Slight tart presence to it as well. However, the musty aspect really takes over for me.

M - Tastes watery and flat. From what I can tell this is intentional but that doesn't mean I think it's good.

O - Not a huge fan of this one. It reminds me of a flat gueuze with a mustier and dark fruit aspect to it. Worth trying but I'll pass going forward

03-26-2013 01:22:22 | More by jeonseh
Brew33

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer has eluded me for some time.

2010 Bottled on Dated.

Pours a perfectly still honey, gold. A few bubbles at the surface from an aggressive pour. The aroma is excellent. Tart white grapes, earth, wild yeast aromas. A little bit muted in the nose but the aromas are stellar.

The flavor is fantastic. Beer in it's purest form. The lack of carbonation keeps this beer from moving through the mouth like a Gueuze so it drinks more like wine. Green apples, funky, earthy, mushrooms? Woody, sour but not nearly as sour as most other aged Lambics I've experienced, vinous, full. The mouthfeel is heavy and wine like. You almost need to get yourself in a different mindset when drinking a flat beer. It's not as drinkable with it's lack of carb but it makes for a longer session and more time to savor the beer.

Overall, it's fantastic. Really deep flavors.

03-20-2013 13:01:53 | More by Brew33
kevanb

3.81/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle, 2011 dated, poured into a snifter.

The beer pours a nice copper color, slight chill haze with a few bubbles at the top of the glass, no retention or lacing. The aroma is lovely, tart apple, moderate funk, floral notes are subtle with some sweet oak at the back. The balance is great, the fruit and funk are blended perfectly. The flavors are nice, apples, fruit, nice tartness, light vinegar, sweet oak with some subtle funk behind everything. The body is flat, brewed to be still, but it hurts this beer a lot as the flavors really suffer from the lack of carbonation. The finish is nice and dry, but the still nature leaves these beer a touch syrupy and hard to drink.

Verdict: A nice unblended lambic from Cantillon, but the lack of carbonation really makes this a hard beer to drink. The flavors never really come to life and everything is somewhat muted by the still nature of the beer. Worth trying if you've never had it, but not a beer I'd seek out regularly.

03-04-2013 06:32:24 | More by kevanb
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

The joke was on me the first time I popped one of these. I'm used to popping the crown on Cantillon and not hearing any "psscchhht" of carbonation releasing from the bottle, until my noob ways realized there was still a cork underneath. Well anyways, I'm sure if you've had this beer already, you know where I'm going with this, but for the uninitiated, well, I was real bummed that this one was for real, it was barely/not at all carbonated. Of course I didn't know it is supposed to be that way with this beer, but what the hey.

Looks like a dark gold, flat, listless. Force pour yields next to nothing. Smell is quite nice, gueuze funkiness all over it. Tart barnyard. Substantial malted wheat. Kind of drinks like a sour white wine given its total lack of carbonation. Pretty dry for having no carbonation, you would think it would stick and be heavy, but no.

Regardless of it being traditional as a three year old unblended lambic, it just is light years beyond the enjoyability I get from drinking almost anything else in the Cantillon lineup. Toss this one and Mamouche on their rears, focus on everything else they make, because they're all world class to me when you exclude those two.

01-19-2013 21:26:06 | More by Beerandraiderfan
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

4.04/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

750ml bottle served in a Thumbler glass.

A: Pours an orange clear color and no head is formed. No lacings are formed or left

S: Very fruity. Strong notes of white grapes and appels. Vinegar. Notes of sweet grains, Lambic yeasts and wood

T: Surprinsing in the mouth. Slighlty sweet grains upfront. Again, very fruity with strong notes of white grapes and apples, mainly. Vinegar tartiness. Lambic yeasts, a little bit metallic. Good notes of oak and a bit of hops bitterness in the very end. An authentic Lambic but quite smooth for a Cantillon, I mean, not sour like their Kriek Lambic, for example

M: Light body. Very low carbonation. Slightly sweet and fruity aftertaste followed by mild sourness

O: Good drinkability. Not the best Cantillon I've had but still a classic. Recommended

01-19-2013 20:58:20 | More by eduardolinhalis
orangesol

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Three year old organic version bottle. Thanks to foofaa for the share.

A - Pours murky golden amber with no head at all leaving no lace at all.

S - Smells of a moderate amount of funk, mild basement must, some light horse blanket funk, dash of grass and a bit of lactic sourness. Probably the most mild of all the Cantillon's I have tried.

T - Starts off with some wet basement must and a decent amount of lactic sourness quickly giving way to hints of mild barnyard funk, some fresh grass and some damp earth. Finish is kind of a mix of everything with a bit of extra tartness, not lingering overly long on the palate.

M - Medium body with no carbonation at all. The lack of carb leads to a slick, slippery feel that flows freely across the palate.

O - I enjoy a still lambic every now and then but I still prefer them to be carbonated. I like the aromas and flavors but this just isn't one of the Cantillon's I would seek out. Great to try it but that was fine for me.

01-06-2013 17:12:04 | More by orangesol
Sourkehd

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

2012 Fresh Bottle

Its a straight lambic. Pours a clear amber color. No carbonation here. Smell is mildly lactic with belgian barnyard funk mixed in. Taste is about the same. Mouthfeel is very smooth and buttery. Plenty of funk and an soft apple bite at the end. It's a little thin but that's expected from a 100% lambic. Overall I was really glad to have a couple of these. It's very one dimensional. Like a building block for doesjel or a close runner up to lambickx.

12-25-2012 06:02:44 | More by Sourkehd
oline73

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

I had this at Churchkey on Zwanze Day. Served in a tasting snifter.

Appearance: The beer pours a mostly clear golden color with an orange hue. There is almost no head which is to be expected.

Smell: Just a bit tart with mild vinegar and lemon juice notes. I'm getting a mild hint of sulfur as well.

Taste: Smooth ant tart, but I wouldn't say this one is bright. The taste is better than the smell. Some mildly peppery oak with a tart and slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with hardly any carbonation. The finish is rather dry.

Overall: This is nice enough but I preferred the 2 year old blended lambic that i had the same day. I'd have more.

12-14-2012 02:33:12 | More by oline73
cps98

3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

A – A very clear deep yellow, no lacing at all on this beer.

S – I got some old cheese and lots of funk in the nose of this beer.

T – A very deep roasted bread quality.

M – Medium bodied and 100% flat, very dry. No carbonation at all.

O – I was not impressed by this beer. I wish it had some carbonation, that might have changed my opinon of this beer.

12-10-2012 18:31:30 | More by cps98
russwbeck

Enjoyed at Zwanze Day 2012 at Churchkey

A: Bruocsella is a viscous red-orange with a small white head. The retention is good, but the head is hardly big enough to lace after very long. 4

S: The very first aroma I get out the glass is...orange, sudsy dishsoap. It is also funky, but not particularly tart. The only fruit I get smells like dishsoap sadly. 3

T: The orange comes back on the taste. This time the beer is tart, but only underneath. Overall it leaves a weird aftertaste that I'm not terribly fond of. 3

MF: Medium body with a lower carbonation than the others we've had today. I didn't find the beer to be all that drinkable. 2.5

O: Not much else to say, I just wasn't feeling this one. 3

12-03-2012 19:55:56 | More by russwbeck
rowingbrewer

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a pale yellowish color with no head and no visible carbonation.

the smell is funk, wet hay, hints of lemony tartness, green apple, exactly what I am looking for.

the taste is funkty and clean with a nice tartness.

the mouthfeel is completely flat and light.

overall this beer is great, im glad i have a few bottles tucked away.

12-03-2012 18:24:33 | More by rowingbrewer
jmarsh123

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle at Zwanze Day.

Pours deep yellow. A few pours had some tiny bubbles. Most were almost completely still.

Smells a bit tart with a few more Belgian spices than I normally get in Cantillon aroma.

Kind of a generic gueuze quality, which I know is probably intended, but it's nothing special. It's sour, but without a real pop. Just sort of faintly oaky and left me expecting more.

Very low carbonation level makes the mouthfeel a bit oily and doesn't really let the flavors pop.

Nothing too bad here and probably hurt my opinion that I had it the same day as Cantillon's best, but didn't really do much for me. I'd normally enjoy drinking a glass of this, but would prefer other fruited or more flavorful options when I want to reach for a sour beer.

12-03-2012 18:01:22 | More by jmarsh123
smakawhat

Maryland

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass at Churchkey on Zwanze Day 2012. Three year old unblended, I think this is the right place for this review. From notes.

Body is simple light lemon gold, with just the faintest sense of little tiny bubbles hanging around the collar. Flat. Gleams like a nice yellow topaz gem.

Light sour acid aromas, a peppery yeast like angle on this, nearly sticky smelling yeast in the nostrils. Fruit angle sourness doesn't seem to come out as anything obvious.

Palate hits with much of the sourness hinted on the nose, but not much else going flavor wise. The mouthfeel though is classic solid, almost silky if a little wet. More of the pepper action comes out a bit after subsequent tastings. Taste is fleeting a bit, doesn't linger.

Overall it's a little un-varied if I could say the word, but it's a solid lambic backbone for taste and easily drinkable, but I think I am looking for just .. "more", more fruit, more diversity, more finish.

12-02-2012 14:52:44 | More by smakawhat
BARFLYB

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

On tap at Monk's Cafe for Zwanze Day 2012. I am not sure on the vintage.

Sanding right there when this was poured into a tulip glass, I was surprised to see the faintest amount of bubbles that immediately vanished as I was handed the glass. The color is a bright gold shade that looks pretty. Swirls dont bring any bubbles either, I realize this is unblended lambic. Smell is barnyard scents mixed in with some apple and pear, lazy lambic scents. Hay comes through as it comes up to temp and the oak is quite bold in the end, it all comes together. Bg amounts of oak in taste with wet wood, musty basement, sour apple, light malt build, no hops. I just like the simpleness of this beer and it is more enjoyable off the tap with just a bit of life within the light body. I could drink globs of this stuff.

12-02-2012 04:16:15 | More by BARFLYB
peensteen

Ontario (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

2006 vintage, 375ml. bottle at Beerbistro best before Dec.2028

Super clear orange, light ring of bubbly white head, zero retention, zero lace. Smell is of funky barnyard and a ton of fruit, tart apples, pear, lemon, musty oak, white wine vinous character and a pronounced acidity. Taste is quite tart, sour but less so than the other two beers I have had from them, fruity, apple, lemon, bits of balsamic, quite a bit of oak, earthy and musty flavours with a sharp acidic finish. Just about zero carbonation, medium body, drying feel. An enjoyable brew but SOME carbonation would have done wonders for this, still a nice mix of flavours here to make this rather drinkable.

11-30-2012 15:17:44 | More by peensteen
HuskyinPDX

Washington

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Bottle opened on 11.5.12. Bottled 7 September 2012

1000th review on BA!

A - Pours a slightly hazy, golden orange with only a few large bubbles clinging to one side.

S - Funk, lots of fruit - peach, pear, orange, lemon, candy-like, floral.

T - Dry floral, some of the fruit follows, but not much. Almost watery.

D - Lower carbonation with a light body. Dry.

O - Smells amazing, but the taste just wasn't the same.

11-28-2012 05:52:58 | More by HuskyinPDX
davey101

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Brewed: 08 December 2009, Bottled: 07 September 2012. 750ml bottle into a tulip glass at cellar temperature.

A - Pours an obviously still clear golden yellow color. A few tiny bubbles form around the edge but pop quickly. A swirl wets the sides of the glass and creates some minute bubbles. Gorgeous beer.

S - Lemons lead into some strong musky notes of cheese, damp basement, and vinegar. Less fruity than the standard bio/classic gueuze. Really great if funk is your thing.

T - Lemon rind, sharp acidic vinegar, musky cheese, wet hay, wood and overripe apricots.The finish is of lingering funk. Strong and bold brettanomyces clash with a still body to create a really unique offering.

M - No carbonation. Medium body. Tart and dry on the finish. Very wine like.

O - This seems to be the lowest rated 'loon but I loved this beer. The lack of carbonation works so well as the tartness and funk don't get lost in a wave of spritzy carbonation like in a gueuze.

11-28-2012 01:42:34 | More by davey101
tobelerone

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

2008 750ml bottle.

I found Bruocsella to be a tremendously tasty and interesting beer and enjoyed it somewhat more than the BA community as a whole, it seems. Pours cloudy lemon yellow with a smallish head and minimal lacing. Nevertheless some level of natural carbonation is evident.

The aroma packs lemon, green apple, musty funkiness, sourness and acidity. The flavor is tremendously complex, balancing sour lemon and fairly assertive barnyard, horse and hay funkiness with a lesser apple note that's almost cider-like. There's a good degree of oak character as well. Teeth are left squeaking.

Medium-light bodied with low but present carbonation. Easy to drink and endlessly fascinating. an instructive look at an unblended lambic, with essential flavors deep and vivid. Would love to drink this again.

11-27-2012 04:52:12 | More by tobelerone