Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
1.65/5  rDev -57.6%

Slightly hazy golden pour with zero head whatsoever. Smells like a dirty medicated band-aid. Musty, funky, bacteria laden. Taste is completely bland, acidic tartness. No balancing malt. Zero carbonation and feels like drinking rancid bile water. Not an example of the style that I enjoyed, and I found this very hard to drink, unfortunately. (341 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -46%

A: Pours a clear light orange with no head to speak of. Maybe the slightest ring around the top.

S: Very pungent tart smell. It has an earthy aroma as well.

T: Extremely sour! So sour it is overpowering. I had only had one Lambic before and it was very sweet. Now that I read about this style I see that it is meant to be more tart, but I cant believe it is meant to be like this. Once I get past the tartness, it has a very dry finish after the lemony acidic sourness. This is really not for me, but I tried not to hammer it too bas since it appears this is how this style is meant to taste. I will be sure not to get another unblended lambic.

M: Extremely thin and no carbonation. If you like sour stuff maybe you would enjoy this one in the mouth. I do not.

D: Well I hate to waste beer, but most of this one is going down the sink. I tried to enjoy it, but I would rather have water than this one. Its just not my thing. (928 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -35%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Paid 11.99 (!) for a bottle. Pours a hazy, dirty light yellow/orange with a bit of rust contamination. Poorly worded there - the color is very nice. No head to speak of. Taste/smell is all lambic, except this is really over the top. Acidity is so high it's like a sour-patch-kid. There is a lot of complexity, but so dominated by the acidity it's tough to tell what else is there. I thought oak-aging would mellow a beer like this (i.e. Oaked Arrogant Bastard)?!? Mouthfeel is very winey, but rich and supportive. Carbonation is too strong, almost fizzy.

This is a well put-together beer, and you can tell there is a lot of quality and thought to this, however it just doesn't come together as well as you'd hope. There are definitely better lambics out there. (763 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -33.7%

Severed in a flute from a bottle

A. Yellow orange color with little head and no lacing what so ever.

S. Faint apple cider vinegar and mustiness

T. Sour, acidic then mellowed out at the end.

M. Very smooth with no carbonation.

D. Drank 3 glasses of this trying to enjoy it but had a hard time. This is a one and done for me. (329 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

A: dark gold with faint haze and absolutely no head or lacing.
S: sour apple and some cooking wine/vinegar smell
T: it has dramatic sour apple taste and a mellow vinegar flavor that is striking on the tongue. I can't say I'm a fan of this style.
M/D: astringent dry feel like cooking wine and really thin. The drinkability is difficult do to the poor taste and astringent feel. (377 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

Cantillon Broucsella (1900) Grand Cru

A = Poured a light copper with no foam.

S = Light apple smell with a hint of apple.

T = Sour. Really sour. Initial lemon tartness followed by a slightly dry finish.

M = Coats tongue with a dryness. Little to no carbonation. Very thin bodied.

D = Not my cup of tea. Never again. (320 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -31.9%

I am not going over the details here. Brewed 12.2007, and poured into a Stone tulip.

Right away, no gas. Flat. Light murky hone, no head, no lace. Tart smell, funky, my wife says it smells like barf. Taste is thin an lackluster. Horrible. Mouthfeel the same. THIS BEER SUCKS. i can only hope that this was a bad, but very expensive, bottle. (341 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Purchased from City Beer Store in San Francisco, CA.

A - The beer pours a light orange. No head whatsoever. A little bit of sediment at the bottom of the glass.

S - The beer is very tart, smelling of citric fruits. Mildly acidic smell.

T - Like the smell, tart, with lots of phenols. It tastes a bit medicinal. Mild cider-like flavors.

M - Watery. The style is supposed to be thin bodied, as is this brew, but the consistency is basically that of water. I wouldn't say it is unpleasant but it certainly doesn't feel like beer.

D - Not a very drinkable beer. You may want to try it to experience an unblendrf lambic but it's not something I would make a habit up, especially given the price tag. Interesting, yes; pleasant, not so much. (740 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -28%

Somewhat disappointed in this, actually.

Pours a murky clear golden yellow with a bit of amber in it. No head. Almost zero carbonation in this beer. I'm searching for even a hint of bubbles. Looking through the reviews, this was clearly intended by the brewer, and not the fault of a bad bottle. I found it offputting in appearance and mouthfeel. Just a bit of carbonation can really zest up a strongly flavored beer, and the lack of it really lessens the experience. We're not talking about minimal bubbling here: there was none. Period. I want a sour beer, not sour juice.

Smells like funk, vinegar, and unripe fruits. Taste was pretty good, though not as robust as other Cantillons/sours I've had. More sour than funky, with a real harsh vinegar/lemon acidic bite that I liked. I have to again come back to the mouthfeel -- it's a real problem with this beer.

Would not revisit, though it was nice to try something new. (925 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.9%

Cantillion Bruocsella pours still, no head and a rich golden color. Aroma of musty basement, feet and sourness. Taste is quite bitter, some light oak/wood notes and a small sour. The flavors are alittle toned down and its hard to get too excited about this syrup that vaguely resembles beer. Mouthfeel is thin and flat. Drinkability rates fairly low, I was not impressed with this. (381 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -24.7%

This beer is quite interesting. When poured, it does not give any sort of head, there is absolutely no visible carbonation, belive me, I looked. The color is, however, a quite clear and atractive shade of gold. The smell, well, its like a punch in the nose, you can smell it from across the room, sour sour sour. A bit of Funk. The taste is rather underwhelming, quite one diminsional. Its just sour with a touch of oak tannins on the side of my tounge. Its even more sour than the smell gave away. The mouthfeel was like wine, completely flat. I would not want to drink a whole 12oz pour of this beer, in fact, I was a bit tired of it after about 6 oz. (653 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -24.4%

A= The pour is a nice hazy yellow color with a slight amber tinge to it in the deepest part of the glass. The head is pretty much non existant which is a little dissapointing. There is a thin ring around the glass with big bubbles.

S= The smell is sour lemon and maybe some feet? There is a decent amount of oak in it as well but no vanilla coming from the wood. Exactly what I would expect from an unblended lambic. There is also a good amount of earthy odor coming from it.

T= The taste is very very light. Much like a white wine. There is a slight sour lemon taste to it. The earthy taste is still there a little bit but not much. The feet smell doesn't come through in the taste at all. There is a conciderable amount of tannins as well.

M= Super dry. Astringent. No carbonation.

D= Hmmm. This Cantillon actually dissapoints a little bit. A lovely brew but not an unblended lambic in my humble opinion. This resembles a white wine. It isn't carbonated at all and the tannins and astringentcy really take over. Interesting but not for me right now. I'll prolly throw one in the cellar for fun though. (1,107 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -23.1%

2006 Vintage

Not much of a pop form the cork. Pours a bit flat. Oaky reddisih brown pour. The nose is cheesy with a hint of lemon . The flavor is a bit oak dominated and doesn't quite come together

Probably my least favorite Cantillon, but I wonder if it's just me because Jean Van Roy seems so happy when I purchased it. (323 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -22.6%

Enjoyed at Zwanze Day 2012 at Churchkey

A: Bruocsella is a viscous red-orange with a small white head. The retention is good, but the head is hardly big enough to lace after very long. 4

S: The very first aroma I get out the glass is...orange, sudsy dishsoap. It is also funky, but not particularly tart. The only fruit I get smells like dishsoap sadly. 3

T: The orange comes back on the taste. This time the beer is tart, but only underneath. Overall it leaves a weird aftertaste that I'm not terribly fond of. 3

MF: Medium body with a lower carbonation than the others we've had today. I didn't find the beer to be all that drinkable. 2.5

O: Not much else to say, I just wasn't feeling this one. 3 (704 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -22.4%

A: Hazy, cider-like colour, no carbonation or head.

S: Very tart: apple and lemon.

T: Apple cider vinegar, lemon rind, earthy-metallic minerals.

M: Very acidic, no carbonation, light to moderate body.

D: This one's a little rough for my palette. (249 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -22.1%

I had held this Cantillon in proper storage for some months now, and yesterday's arrival of a long time friend called for a bit of beer.

The 75cl bottle, unlike other Cantillons did not make a small gas related pop once the cork was drawn. It was the first bad sign.

The pour was almost completely flat, but I reckon other bright lambics aren't all that carbonated. this is much more like a wine than a beer, I said to myself. Appearance-wise, all the rest seemed perfectly normal: nice inside-of-an-apple sort of yellowish tones, a thin layer of bubbles atop.

I guess that was the only bad incident, but the rest of the beer I did not enjoy because it seems to me that it's too much like their other beers. the sour smell was a clear upfront indicator, I could've been drinking any other Cantillon Lambic here. Side-by-sidedness would not help. Plus, it wasn't too carbonated either. and the saltyness I'd felt before was still there. (944 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -21.9%

Bottle date of September 5, 2007.

Pots into a Duvel Tulip a gold color with absolutely zero head.

Sour and funky nose. Decaying apple, pear and white wine with cider vinegar.

Tart with no sweetness. Apple cider vinegar with some wood notes. Pretty average at best.

One word to describe the feel: flat.

Quite lackluster in all aspects and certainly not worth the pricetag. (376 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fairly tannic nose, oaky dry, a little pure apple juice with a dash of dry white wine. Foam nonexistent. Entry in the mouth easy enough but the tannins take advantage very quickly (oak) with this small taste of white wine or cider. Unfortunately a bit too flat. Sour and acid, but without being in abundance, like Cantillon products. However, the beer is too far from a final product to be really interesting. (409 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle into a tulip glass

2009 vintage on cork

Bottled August 28th 2009

A- Pours a nice golden yellow orange with no head at all just some big bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. No lacing, and small alcohol legs on the side. Hopefully it's carbonated.

S- Tons of funk and strong barnyard that immediately makes your mouth salivate in preparation for the sourness. Has a really strong almost off putting grassy earthy nose to it with hints of green apple. Musty old oak and dust.

T- Flat up front. But flavor wise funk up front with fruit flavors of apple and vinous grapes. Behind that is a strong earthy punch of faded grassy hops and mushroom like dirt. Definitely some musty oak in there as well. The more I drink it and it warms the more it tastes like bile. Not good.

M- Medium to lighter body with no carbonation and a decently sour finish.

Overall this beer would be a lot better with carbonation. Hard to drink. (945 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from 75cl to a Wine Glass

Appearence: Poured an Amazing hy golden color. No head. But has little bubbles on top like fresh poured wine. Obviously Flat

Aroma: Acidic Sour, Rancid, cheese, mold, Almost smells like toenail fungus to be honest.

Taste: Fresh sliced lemon Juice, watered down and funky, exactly the taste I get, Not malty at all, Not what I was expecting at all. Pretty bland but that is expected. This beer would probably do Great in the cellar for a looong time.

Mouthfeel: Watery, Not dry, or slick, or cloying. Very watery

Overall: Great beer but definantly could not drink it every day like the brewers do. Overall I am Amazed with the beer. However VERY happy I did not pay money for this (717 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Bottle at Local Option

A - Dark golden with brown hues and a frothy white head. Looks flat. There is a small frothy white head that settled down

S - Dark fruit and figs. Reminds me of an English Christmas pudding as there is a slight booziness to it as well. There is a slight tartness that comes up in the back of the nose as well

T - Musty with light nutmeg, dates, and oak. Slight tart presence to it as well. However, the musty aspect really takes over for me.

M - Tastes watery and flat. From what I can tell this is intentional but that doesn't mean I think it's good.

O - Not a huge fan of this one. It reminds me of a flat gueuze with a mustier and dark fruit aspect to it. Worth trying but I'll pass going forward (727 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19%

A – A very clear deep yellow, no lacing at all on this beer.

S – I got some old cheese and lots of funk in the nose of this beer.

T – A very deep roasted bread quality.

M – Medium bodied and 100% flat, very dry. No carbonation at all.

O – I was not impressed by this beer. I wish it had some carbonation, that might have changed my opinon of this beer. (372 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -18.5%

One of the few remaining bottles we jammed into our luggage & lugged back from dirty, beautiful Brussels. Capped & corked 750ML bottle spit with my wife (who suitcased half of them).

Pour is clouded orange even leaving the loogie in the bottom, with close to or actuallly zippo in the way of carbonation. Lots of lemon & orange & apple hit the nose, with a strong foundation of tartness (not funk). Interest is piqued.

Bruocsella 1900 Grand Cru is razor sharp. Lemon juice you could slash a finger on is paired up oddly with a deep fall mustiness; not really digging the combo. Acidic but not overpoweringly so, & the sour is held in check. Strongly drying oak. Half a bomber of this was too much - could have been split several ways.

Just not digging the stale, just-before-the-snow-flies must that has wound its way into the DNA of this beer. Decent enough, but easily my least favorite of the pantheon we experienced during & after the trip. (950 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.3%

750ml bottled poured inappropriately into my new 3 glass. Bottled on October 20, 2010, brewed October 30, 2007...Pours a really dark dark gold with only light carbonation. No real head rises, a few watery bubbles after you're done pouring. No lacing...The aroma is really light, only gives off some musky horse blanket, a little boring...Taste is also pretty light, shows off lots of oak, spider webs, chalk, musky. Not very sour, a little but more bitter than sour if that makes sense.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of unblended beers, or this wasn't a great batch. Either way, this is the probably the least good Cantillon I've had and can't imagine having this again. (667 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this one up when I was down in Florida last week, along with a bunch of other nice Cantillon beers. Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 02/19/2009.

The pour was decent enough with a clear, dark grape juice looking liquid with only the slightest bit of carbonation sticking to the inside of the glass. The aroma is sour, tart notes, hints of a woody or oak like touch with a vanilla touch to it. Small notes of cherry or some light fruit notes. As I take a taste the feel really throuws me off. It is almost like oily water, no carbontion and slick feeling, really distracting. The bite of tart apples is lightly offset with a touch of vanilla and oak in the finish, nothing too bad at all, but nothing blowing me away. Just a touch one to put down, the tartness was not strong enough and the subtle hints of oak, too light to make a difference. My least favorite Cantillon beer to date. (939 characters)

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon