Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros

BlackHoleBrew42, Dec 24, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -68.2%

theminutemen, Jun 19, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -61.8%

bigwebguy, Feb 27, 2014
1.63/5  rDev -58.5%

Slightly hazy golden pour with zero head whatsoever. Smells like a dirty medicated band-aid. Musty, funky, bacteria laden. Taste is completely bland, acidic tartness. No balancing malt. Zero carbonation and feels like drinking rancid bile water. Not an example of the style that I enjoyed, and I found this very hard to drink, unfortunately.

JDV, Apr 06, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -47.8%

A: Pours a clear light orange with no head to speak of. Maybe the slightest ring around the top.

S: Very pungent tart smell. It has an earthy aroma as well.

T: Extremely sour! So sour it is overpowering. I had only had one Lambic before and it was very sweet. Now that I read about this style I see that it is meant to be more tart, but I cant believe it is meant to be like this. Once I get past the tartness, it has a very dry finish after the lemony acidic sourness. This is really not for me, but I tried not to hammer it too bas since it appears this is how this style is meant to taste. I will be sure not to get another unblended lambic.

M: Extremely thin and no carbonation. If you like sour stuff maybe you would enjoy this one in the mouth. I do not.

D: Well I hate to waste beer, but most of this one is going down the sink. I tried to enjoy it, but I would rather have water than this one. Its just not my thing.

GatorBeerNerd, Apr 06, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -36.4%

markgugs, May 25, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Paid 11.99 (!) for a bottle. Pours a hazy, dirty light yellow/orange with a bit of rust contamination. Poorly worded there - the color is very nice. No head to speak of. Taste/smell is all lambic, except this is really over the top. Acidity is so high it's like a sour-patch-kid. There is a lot of complexity, but so dominated by the acidity it's tough to tell what else is there. I thought oak-aging would mellow a beer like this (i.e. Oaked Arrogant Bastard)?!? Mouthfeel is very winey, but rich and supportive. Carbonation is too strong, almost fizzy.

This is a well put-together beer, and you can tell there is a lot of quality and thought to this, however it just doesn't come together as well as you'd hope. There are definitely better lambics out there.

benmiliron, Dec 20, 2006
2.53/5  rDev -35.6%

Cantillon Broucsella (1900) Grand Cru

A = Poured a light copper with no foam.

S = Light apple smell with a hint of apple.

T = Sour. Really sour. Initial lemon tartness followed by a slightly dry finish.

M = Coats tongue with a dryness. Little to no carbonation. Very thin bodied.

D = Not my cup of tea. Never again.

BeerNutta, Oct 29, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -34.4%

A: dark gold with faint haze and absolutely no head or lacing.
S: sour apple and some cooking wine/vinegar smell
T: it has dramatic sour apple taste and a mellow vinegar flavor that is striking on the tongue. I can't say I'm a fan of this style.
M/D: astringent dry feel like cooking wine and really thin. The drinkability is difficult do to the poor taste and astringent feel.

Kemmerlin, Aug 16, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -34.4%

Severed in a flute from a bottle

A. Yellow orange color with little head and no lacing what so ever.

S. Faint apple cider vinegar and mustiness

T. Sour, acidic then mellowed out at the end.

M. Very smooth with no carbonation.

D. Drank 3 glasses of this trying to enjoy it but had a hard time. This is a one and done for me.

Burt, Jan 10, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -33.1%

I am not going over the details here. Brewed 12.2007, and poured into a Stone tulip.

Right away, no gas. Flat. Light murky hone, no head, no lace. Tart smell, funky, my wife says it smells like barf. Taste is thin an lackluster. Horrible. Mouthfeel the same. THIS BEER SUCKS. i can only hope that this was a bad, but very expensive, bottle.

srandycarter, Apr 19, 2011

Myst, Dec 23, 2013

jzeilinger, Jan 19, 2014

ThirstyHerf, Jan 10, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -30%

Purchased from City Beer Store in San Francisco, CA.

A - The beer pours a light orange. No head whatsoever. A little bit of sediment at the bottom of the glass.

S - The beer is very tart, smelling of citric fruits. Mildly acidic smell.

T - Like the smell, tart, with lots of phenols. It tastes a bit medicinal. Mild cider-like flavors.

M - Watery. The style is supposed to be thin bodied, as is this brew, but the consistency is basically that of water. I wouldn't say it is unpleasant but it certainly doesn't feel like beer.

D - Not a very drinkable beer. You may want to try it to experience an unblendrf lambic but it's not something I would make a habit up, especially given the price tag. Interesting, yes; pleasant, not so much.

sessycuban, May 15, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -28%

Somewhat disappointed in this, actually.

Pours a murky clear golden yellow with a bit of amber in it. No head. Almost zero carbonation in this beer. I'm searching for even a hint of bubbles. Looking through the reviews, this was clearly intended by the brewer, and not the fault of a bad bottle. I found it offputting in appearance and mouthfeel. Just a bit of carbonation can really zest up a strongly flavored beer, and the lack of it really lessens the experience. We're not talking about minimal bubbling here: there was none. Period. I want a sour beer, not sour juice.

Smells like funk, vinegar, and unripe fruits. Taste was pretty good, though not as robust as other Cantillons/sours I've had. More sour than funky, with a real harsh vinegar/lemon acidic bite that I liked. I have to again come back to the mouthfeel -- it's a real problem with this beer.

Would not revisit, though it was nice to try something new.

Overlord, Dec 31, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -26.2%

Cantillion Bruocsella pours still, no head and a rich golden color. Aroma of musty basement, feet and sourness. Taste is quite bitter, some light oak/wood notes and a small sour. The flavors are alittle toned down and its hard to get too excited about this syrup that vaguely resembles beer. Mouthfeel is thin and flat. Drinkability rates fairly low, I was not impressed with this.

Stinkypuss, Feb 23, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -26.2%

This beer is quite interesting. When poured, it does not give any sort of head, there is absolutely no visible carbonation, belive me, I looked. The color is, however, a quite clear and atractive shade of gold. The smell, well, its like a punch in the nose, you can smell it from across the room, sour sour sour. A bit of Funk. The taste is rather underwhelming, quite one diminsional. Its just sour with a touch of oak tannins on the side of my tounge. Its even more sour than the smell gave away. The mouthfeel was like wine, completely flat. I would not want to drink a whole 12oz pour of this beer, in fact, I was a bit tired of it after about 6 oz.

Orangevango, Mar 10, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

2006 Vintage

Not much of a pop form the cork. Pours a bit flat. Oaky reddisih brown pour. The nose is cheesy with a hint of lemon . The flavor is a bit oak dominated and doesn't quite come together

Probably my least favorite Cantillon, but I wonder if it's just me because Jean Van Roy seems so happy when I purchased it.

gueuzer, Sep 22, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

A= The pour is a nice hazy yellow color with a slight amber tinge to it in the deepest part of the glass. The head is pretty much non existant which is a little dissapointing. There is a thin ring around the glass with big bubbles.

S= The smell is sour lemon and maybe some feet? There is a decent amount of oak in it as well but no vanilla coming from the wood. Exactly what I would expect from an unblended lambic. There is also a good amount of earthy odor coming from it.

T= The taste is very very light. Much like a white wine. There is a slight sour lemon taste to it. The earthy taste is still there a little bit but not much. The feet smell doesn't come through in the taste at all. There is a conciderable amount of tannins as well.

M= Super dry. Astringent. No carbonation.

D= Hmmm. This Cantillon actually dissapoints a little bit. A lovely brew but not an unblended lambic in my humble opinion. This resembles a white wine. It isn't carbonated at all and the tannins and astringentcy really take over. Interesting but not for me right now. I'll prolly throw one in the cellar for fun though.

jjanega08, Jul 28, 2010

Soxfanmcgee, Nov 23, 2013

huskermike12, Mar 18, 2013

macesq, Aug 17, 2014

A: Hazy, cider-like colour, no carbonation or head.

S: Very tart: apple and lemon.

T: Apple cider vinegar, lemon rind, earthy-metallic minerals.

M: Very acidic, no carbonation, light to moderate body.

D: This one's a little rough for my palette.

Derek, Aug 11, 2008