Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottled in 2003, so says my cork.
Marvelous, golden, peachy color, hazy as she comes, with no head to speak of...nose is sour, lemony, musty, a bit of vinegar and orange peel, and some spiciness...and stil a little dry...some complex stuff, so far!
Oooo! Sourness grips the tastebuds, claws fast like an eagle's talons as it hits the tongue, bumps and climbs and cavorts all over the palate, one restless little brew we have here....it mellows some, plays gamely in the mouth afterwards and settles, sour has put down it's pistols and is laying it out lightly now...but, with each subsequent sipping, the dance begins again, a blitz of a ballet in the mouth, a whirl of a dervish...
body is light, but flavor is huge, and the impact on the senses is enormous, with a softly sour lingering finish.
A relentless masterpiece, this Bruocsella 1900 Grand Cru, a bold, yet benevolent fellow. My mouth won't know quite what to do with itself when the bottle is gone. (963 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

Bought a bottle of this at Max's in Baltimore, MD today to celebrate my 25th birthday. $30 for a 750ml bottle, poured into a wine glass.

a - Pours a somewhat transparent orange-light yellow color with no head or carbonation evident.

s - Smells of lemons, citrus, white wine, pears, tart apples, and yeast.

t - Tastes of funky sour apples, citrus, lemons, musty, earthy notes, and white wine. A bit underwhelming and bland for a Cantillon.

m - Light body and low carbonation, smooth and easy to drink.

d - While I enjoyed this quite a bit and it is certainly not a bad beer at all, this is one of the lesser Cantillon's I've had. It's drinkable and has a great nose but the taste it s bit lacking and no where near as good as some as their other beers. Would have again but not for the price. (796 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Three year old organic version bottle. Thanks to foofaa for the share.

A - Pours murky golden amber with no head at all leaving no lace at all.

S - Smells of a moderate amount of funk, mild basement must, some light horse blanket funk, dash of grass and a bit of lactic sourness. Probably the most mild of all the Cantillon's I have tried.

T - Starts off with some wet basement must and a decent amount of lactic sourness quickly giving way to hints of mild barnyard funk, some fresh grass and some damp earth. Finish is kind of a mix of everything with a bit of extra tartness, not lingering overly long on the palate.

M - Medium body with no carbonation at all. The lack of carb leads to a slick, slippery feel that flows freely across the palate.

O - I enjoy a still lambic every now and then but I still prefer them to be carbonated. I like the aromas and flavors but this just isn't one of the Cantillon's I would seek out. Great to try it but that was fine for me. (975 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle shared at a recent tasting. Beer is yellow and has pretty much no head. There is slight haze.

There is a strong sour aroma -- pretty one note. It smells about what I expected.

I'm not sure why I assumed that an unblended lambic would be more funky than the blended guezes but that's not the case at all. This beer is not tart, there is no sulfur character, not a lot of funk. Drinkability is high. I really enjoy this beer but its not what I expected. (460 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

1983 vintage with a vintage black and white label of a castle on it.

Poured into flute.

Pours no head. Color is a clear pale amber gold.

Aroma: Sweet and old-like. Musky. Nose is somewhat like a faro smells like. Lemon and honey flavors. Oak and a bit of spice. Fruity.

Taste: The taste is a lot like the nose, but more sour. Not to tart. Pretty sweet. Honey and dry spice. Oak and vanilla. Very old tasting, but pretty tasty and holding up well.

Mouthfeel: Tart and clean. Light bodied with a low amount of carbonation. Ends pretty clean.

Overall, a beer this old was great. One of the oldest I have had and it seemed to have held up well. It was drinkable. A lot sweeter than I expected. Good stuff. (708 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to THECPJ for the share. Review from notes 11/20/10.

A: Pours a clear peach color with no head or lacing, just a few small bubbles here and there.

S: Very funky, has the earthy barnyard funk going on.

T: Not as funky as the smell led on. Has a nice fruit flavor - apples. It is slightly sour.

M/D: Pretty light with good carbonation. Overall it was pretty good, not amazing, but solid for sure. (409 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -4.4%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thin white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a light pale and wheat malt scent along with a wickedly tart yeast aroma; very nice. I'm not picking up any oak barrel scents. The taste is good. It has a light malt flavor that seems a bit weak and watery. It goes down easy and finishes highly tart and fruity. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a medium bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This is a good tasting beer, but it lacks mouthfeel and a real malt presence. (540 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -3.9%

Review from random notes I found laying around. These are circa September of this year. Bottle shared with a group of local BA's care of StormKing47.

Poured into a taster, this brew appears a hazed golden color with no head. When the glass is swirled a few spots of bubbles cling to the glass.

The aroma of this brew is an interesting mixture of wet leathery notes, maybe a bit of cardboard and some essence of...well baby diapers? It is very funky with a cheesy note to it as well. Once warm, the oak contribution of this brew comes forward.

The taste of this brew is very sharp and acidic with a flavor of pungent cheese yet it is tart and tangy. It is funky and quite puckering that makes the tongue salivate. A lingering flavor of oakiness and tannic qualities reside in the mouth.

The feel of this brew falls short, it is nearly still. It is watery but highly flavored with a sharpness of acidity. Unfortunately we had a bit of cork failure when opening this which might prove the faults in this brew so I would certainly like to give this brew another shot. (1,067 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottled November 16, 2009.

The beer pours a clear orange color with a small white head. The aroma is awesome with very tart lemons as well as some oak notes. The flavor is pretty good, but not near as tart or sour as the aroma led me to believe it would be. I get notes of lemons with some oak. The beer is extremely dry. The only real problem I have with the beer is that the body is extremely thin and watery. The carbonation is very low. (442 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Light orange, with little head and no lace. Typical of the style.

S: Hay, straw, barnyard funk.

T: Delicious. Smooth feel. Light citrus with a delicate tartness and present, but mild, acidity. Classic Cantillon funk and amazing flavor. Distinctive and wonderful.

M: Smooth, low carbonation level. Thin, with an acidic finish.

D: Quaffable. Another gem from the world's best brewery. (389 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17.2%

02/06/05- Purchased at Beltramo's in Menlo Park, CA

Presentation- 750ml bottle shared with BA members at my Super Bowl Party last night. No expiration date listed.

Appearance- Not sure what a true lambic is supposed to look like. Kinda an orange-peach colored pour with absolutely zero head and about the same in lacing. I gave it a 4 in appearance, but I could re-rate it after trying other true lambics.

Smell- Guess I finally figured out the barnyard funk smell. My fiancee is from Montana and grew up on a cattle ranch, and she confirmed that it kinda smelled like a barn, a dirty barn! To me it smelled like a skunky-honey and baby poo diaper. Yet I liked it! I don't know why, but I did. I think there is a bunch of lemon and heavy citrus scents also.

Taste- Well, I was expecting this to be the most sour experience of my life. I had one of the Cantillon lambics at the Toronado about 6 months ago and spent $10 on a 12 oz pour. That was some sour ass shit! I literally had to chase each sip with a gulp of water to keep from gagging. Well, I was expecting the same here. Turns out all Cantillon's are not super sour. This one was sour, but not anything compared to the last one. Maybe I had the Iris or the Vigneronne. It was very watery and dull. Had a weird taste of latex or some weird tupperware taste. A bit stale. Not fruity at all. Very disappointed in this one. At least the other one had some fruity zing to it.

Mouthfeel- Ultra low carbonation and a watery mouthfeel. I know the carbonation was right, but the watery part?

Drinkability- I'll pass on this one. It was the cheapest of the Cantillon line when I bought it 6 months ago at about $12. Hopefully my next try will be better. Not even giving up on them yet. (1,751 characters)

3.89/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: clear yellow / orange in color with a 1/4" head that disappeared immediately. No lacing and no visible carbonation.

Smell: the aroma is of strong tart fruits, yeast and general muskiness.

Taste: interesting combination of earthiness, tart green apples, sour green grapes, musky mold, and yeast. Mouth puckering indeed.

Mouthfeel: lighter in body. Crisp and dry on the tongue. The sour and tart tones linger long into the aftertaste.

Drinkability: not bad, almost wine like. One of these is enjoyable every now and then if you are in the mood, but this is not a beer I can have every night. (614 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

Bottled 2002, Sampled February 2004
The cork pulls with an apparent lack of carbonation. An immediate sour musty aroma wafts from the bottle. When poured into my glass the complete & total lack of carbonation is quite apparent. Cool just like having a traditional Lambic straight from the barrel. The aroma is of course dominated by sour acidic notes but there is an apparent woody aroma and a sharp note of urea as well. The beer itself is a hazy light orange color, and because of the non-existent carbonation there is no head at all.

Strong notes of grapefruit are in the taste of this beer. At first I did not think this beer was all that acidic, but as the beer moved past the front of my mouth the full acidity of this Lambic kicked in. This beer has a very light body, which is accentuated by the lack of carbonation. I get notes of bergamot in the middle, and notes of tannin in the finish. This beer has the full suite of funky Lambic characteristics, though the musty-leather/ barnyard character is perhaps a bit subdued compared to some others. There are some notes of a good stinky French farmhouse cheese, as well as some woody funky-wild mushroom characteristics in my glass. This particular bottle of Lambic is not all that acidic compared to most of the Cantillon range. It is of course surprisingly sour at first, but, unlike most, the acidity seems to reign in after a bit. This is so complex, you can sip and try & dissect all of the competing flavors until the end of your glass, then you wish you had more because you feel like there were a couple of things that you missed.

This is a great (and one of the few) examples of a traditional Lambic. This beer is one of the few chances for most to sample an unblended Lambic, and for this alone Cantillon is to be applauded. I do like this beer quite a bit. A bit of warning though, these flat bottles of Lambic need to be served warmer than usual, about 60*F (15*C), as I find uncarbonated Lambic needs to be a bit warmer than usual in order to fully express it's charms. (2,046 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

On tap at Monk's Cafe for Zwanze Day 2012. I am not sure on the vintage.

Sanding right there when this was poured into a tulip glass, I was surprised to see the faintest amount of bubbles that immediately vanished as I was handed the glass. The color is a bright gold shade that looks pretty. Swirls dont bring any bubbles either, I realize this is unblended lambic. Smell is barnyard scents mixed in with some apple and pear, lazy lambic scents. Hay comes through as it comes up to temp and the oak is quite bold in the end, it all comes together. Bg amounts of oak in taste with wet wood, musty basement, sour apple, light malt build, no hops. I just like the simpleness of this beer and it is more enjoyable off the tap with just a bit of life within the light body. I could drink globs of this stuff. (805 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -7.7%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ, '07 Vintage,

A: Pours a lightly hazy orange, with a real small head, fair retention.

S: Lactic funk, apples, wet wool.

T: Sour apple cider, lemon juice, acetic acid make up the main flavour, with a smattering of wheat malt. Nice enough, but not wowing.

M: On the thin side, dry, light-bodied, low carbonation, moderately acidic.

D: A nice beer from Cantillon, I can't say I was terribly impressed since I hold Cantillon in such high regard, but I'm glad I finally got to try another one of their beers. (532 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass at Churchkey on Zwanze Day 2012. Three year old unblended, I think this is the right place for this review. From notes.

Body is simple light lemon gold, with just the faintest sense of little tiny bubbles hanging around the collar. Flat. Gleams like a nice yellow topaz gem.

Light sour acid aromas, a peppery yeast like angle on this, nearly sticky smelling yeast in the nostrils. Fruit angle sourness doesn't seem to come out as anything obvious.

Palate hits with much of the sourness hinted on the nose, but not much else going flavor wise. The mouthfeel though is classic solid, almost silky if a little wet. More of the pepper action comes out a bit after subsequent tastings. Taste is fleeting a bit, doesn't linger.

Overall it's a little un-varied if I could say the word, but it's a solid lambic backbone for taste and easily drinkable, but I think I am looking for just .. "more", more fruit, more diversity, more finish. (977 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -3.9%

750 mL bottle poured into a Kuhnhenn snifter. Bottled April 30, 2010.

Appearance - Pours with a few big bubbles, but otherwise flat. Slightly hazy orange body.

Smell - Orange citrus. Acidic and a little musty. Very oaky.

Taste - An acidity lingers in the periphery, but doesn't become prominent until the very back end. Fairly straightforward flavor. Lemony. A little bit of hay. No real funk or pepper to it. Simple, but pleasant. Sharp oaky lactic bite in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Flat, but it's still nice to drink, which surprises me. Light enough body to handle the lack of carbonation.

Overall - It's tasty, but simple. I haven't had many other straight lambics that I can compare, though, so I still think it's good. (728 characters)

Picked up a bottle of the 2005 while in Ghent. Cork says it was bottled in 2007. Overall a tasty and relatively drinkable (though not sweet) gueze that oddly enough had almost no carbonation, but I guess that's how it's supposed to be. The lemon-lime juice taste really dominates this beer, though musty barnyard notes creep in behind the fruit and come on stronger in the aroma. Worth a try, but really I haven't met a Cantillon beer I haven't liked yet. (455 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -24.9%

Cantillion Bruocsella pours still, no head and a rich golden color. Aroma of musty basement, feet and sourness. Taste is quite bitter, some light oak/wood notes and a small sour. The flavors are alittle toned down and its hard to get too excited about this syrup that vaguely resembles beer. Mouthfeel is thin and flat. Drinkability rates fairly low, I was not impressed with this. (381 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -11.8%

Hmmn. After lots of various lambics and Guezes, I believe this is my forst still, unblended lambic. I definitely prefer blended ;ambics and some carbonation. That said, it is what it is. Poured absolutely still and golden, just the tiniest bit hazy. The smell is very light, with lemon sourness up front followed by some light barnyard aromas and finishing with a spritz of acetic aroma. Taste is sour and slightly herbal up front, sorta like orange juice tastes after brushing your teeth. This is followed by flavors of ripe soft cheese and some oaky tannic bitterness. Mouthfeel is still, tannic, and a litttle puckery. Not really my style, but interesting to try. (666 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

A vigorous pour produces a glass of hazy deep golden liquid with a smattering of tiny bubbles on top. Dark apple juice comes to mind. Smells funky and fruity with a hint of sweetness. Tart sour cherries and lemons via for attention against a sweet sugary backdrop. Funky sweaty horse blanket with a touch of plastic phenol round out the nose. Funky phenolic comes out first before a bit of fruity lemony lactic puckers me up a bit. There's still a bit of malt sweetness in there that tries to counter the onslaught of funk, but it fails. Medium body, still carbonation, with a tart earthy sourish puckering mouthfeel. Lots of raw funk in this one, I enjoyed it, but I've honestly enjoyed some of the blended lambics a bit more. (727 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a hazy dark golden orange color with golden yellow hues when held to a light source and an almost non existent thin bubbly head that dissapears immediately.

Vinegary earthy oak aroma with lots of lactic horse blanket funk. Subtle light fruit notes compliment the strong earthy oak notes.

Medium slightly puckering body that isn't too acidic. Nice tart lactic barnyard horseblanket funk. Light and fairly easy drinking with not as much of a puckering tart mouthfell than I expected or wanted. Dry finish.

Light crisp fruit notes. Cherry, grape, apple pear, etc. Sour lactic funky. Not nearly tart enough but still puckering without being very acidic. More vinegary than anything else with a lot of oak/vanilla. (719 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

A. Poured a flat deep yellowish color, no head, no bubbles, just still as can be

S. Horseblanket, lemon zest and citrus on top some Earthy notes

T. Initial hit of barnyard and citrus in the way of some lemon zest and orange peel, then more and more barnyard appears leaving a stale mustiness on the palate. There is also an underlying old apple juice like note I can't get past. The finsih is flat, dry, funky.

M. Flat, light bodied, clean

O. Not to bad. (458 characters)

This is my second time to try this much-talked-about lambic, 5 years after my first encounter with this beer in Cantillon Brewery, May 2004; I didn't know much about lambic then but now with a little more experience, I guess a detailed review is in order! The label is different from the one printed on this page, so is the name "Grand Cru Bruocsella - Lambic Bio 2005". Bottled on 05/09/2007, BB 12/2020; served cool in Tripel Karmeliet's long-stemmed tulip glass.
NOTE: The front label bears "Lambic Bio 2005" that, I guess, corresponds to the back label's description that the beer base is aged in oak casks for 3 years(!) before bottling (hence bottled in 2007?); made with 65% malted barley and 35% wheat.

A: pours a dark tawny hue with very little sign of carbonation and certainly no beer head - elegant, truly like a "cereal-based wine" as described on the label!
S: upon the opening of the bottle, the cork comes with an utterly complex aroma, perhaps the best I've come across for this type of beer, that I spent one good minute sniffing it while letting imagination go wild. The beer aroma is interestingly settled - the old oak barrels' notes have mixed with the beer base seamlessly, in a distance giving out only a mild honey-ish and sour white grape like aroma alongside the delicately musty, leather-ish, and also oaky theme. A good swirl reveals restrained salty-bitterness like very old, very dried peels of unidentifiable citrus fruits, on top of well-aged dry cider and salted/preserved startfruits, while the musty lactic-sourness is kept at a rather moderate level. Delicate and lingeringly aromatic, but not as complex as desirable, alas.
T: non-carbonation on the palate, with a quiet foretaste of lightly sour citrusness and salty cider gradually developing with a semi-spicy touch hand in hand with only very mild barnyard mustiness, while, in the form of aroma rather than taste, the wheat-ish aftertaste comes clean and zesty-bitter in the very end. As the beer warms up a bit, the bitter citrus peels and old damp woodiness tune up a level, and so do the rustic mouthfeel and sourness that come along. In the aftertaste, the almost full-bodied-red-wine like, chewy fat tannins(?) linger on the tongue, not unlike undertones of a lactose drink or other types of wheat beer (hefeweizen or Belgian witbier), I say.
M&D: the texture is very smooth or slick even, as no carbonation is felt against a moderate body, making this beer truly like wine or liquor in the glass. My very last encounter with any old Lambic was Girardin's at last year's GBBF (BSF bar), and the memory is quite hazy that I can't make any responsible comparison here. But this revisit shows this beer as a truly unique offering, if not a truly great one due to the quiet performance overall. (2,791 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottle at the Beer Bistro, 375ml into a tulip. 2006 vintage as per the bottle, brewed November 2005, bottled Oct 17, 2008 - best before December 2028.

Poured a light gold, some bubbles fall to almost nothing but a thin ring of head. Lightly hazy body body, with no lace or retention. Nose has some wheat, sour green apples, Cantillon funk-iness and some barnyard. Hints of oak. Taste was tart, tart, tart initially. More green apple, wheat and funky notes again. Tartness subdues as the glass warms. Flat body (expected for the style), slick, medium full and a lemony tartness that puckers. Maybe a touch of hop bitterness at the end. Easier to drink as it warms, a nice introduction for unblended lambics to me. I'd love to try more. (735 characters)

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon