Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros

Franch, Jan 22, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

The joke was on me the first time I popped one of these. I'm used to popping the crown on Cantillon and not hearing any "psscchhht" of carbonation releasing from the bottle, until my noob ways realized there was still a cork underneath. Well anyways, I'm sure if you've had this beer already, you know where I'm going with this, but for the uninitiated, well, I was real bummed that this one was for real, it was barely/not at all carbonated. Of course I didn't know it is supposed to be that way with this beer, but what the hey.

Looks like a dark gold, flat, listless. Force pour yields next to nothing. Smell is quite nice, gueuze funkiness all over it. Tart barnyard. Substantial malted wheat. Kind of drinks like a sour white wine given its total lack of carbonation. Pretty dry for having no carbonation, you would think it would stick and be heavy, but no.

Regardless of it being traditional as a three year old unblended lambic, it just is light years beyond the enjoyability I get from drinking almost anything else in the Cantillon lineup. Toss this one and Mamouche on their rears, focus on everything else they make, because they're all world class to me when you exclude those two.

Beerandraiderfan, Jan 19, 2013
4.04/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

750ml bottle served in a Thumbler glass.

A: Pours an orange clear color and no head is formed. No lacings are formed or left

S: Very fruity. Strong notes of white grapes and appels. Vinegar. Notes of sweet grains, Lambic yeasts and wood

T: Surprinsing in the mouth. Slighlty sweet grains upfront. Again, very fruity with strong notes of white grapes and apples, mainly. Vinegar tartiness. Lambic yeasts, a little bit metallic. Good notes of oak and a bit of hops bitterness in the very end. An authentic Lambic but quite smooth for a Cantillon, I mean, not sour like their Kriek Lambic, for example

M: Light body. Very low carbonation. Slightly sweet and fruity aftertaste followed by mild sourness

O: Good drinkability. Not the best Cantillon I've had but still a classic. Recommended

eduardolinhalis, Jan 19, 2013

Auror, Jan 09, 2013

askham, Jan 06, 2013
3.55/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Three year old organic version bottle. Thanks to foofaa for the share.

A - Pours murky golden amber with no head at all leaving no lace at all.

S - Smells of a moderate amount of funk, mild basement must, some light horse blanket funk, dash of grass and a bit of lactic sourness. Probably the most mild of all the Cantillon's I have tried.

T - Starts off with some wet basement must and a decent amount of lactic sourness quickly giving way to hints of mild barnyard funk, some fresh grass and some damp earth. Finish is kind of a mix of everything with a bit of extra tartness, not lingering overly long on the palate.

M - Medium body with no carbonation at all. The lack of carb leads to a slick, slippery feel that flows freely across the palate.

O - I enjoy a still lambic every now and then but I still prefer them to be carbonated. I like the aromas and flavors but this just isn't one of the Cantillon's I would seek out. Great to try it but that was fine for me.

orangesol, Jan 06, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

Googs, Jan 05, 2013

cliff1066, Jan 04, 2013

AlexFields, Dec 28, 2012

Beeradelphia, Dec 28, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

2012 Fresh Bottle

Its a straight lambic. Pours a clear amber color. No carbonation here. Smell is mildly lactic with belgian barnyard funk mixed in. Taste is about the same. Mouthfeel is very smooth and buttery. Plenty of funk and an soft apple bite at the end. It's a little thin but that's expected from a 100% lambic. Overall I was really glad to have a couple of these. It's very one dimensional. Like a building block for doesjel or a close runner up to lambickx.

Sourkehd, Dec 25, 2012

BlackHoleBrew42, Dec 24, 2012

TWStandley, Dec 18, 2012

teddyarrowhead, Dec 16, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

I had this at Churchkey on Zwanze Day. Served in a tasting snifter.

Appearance: The beer pours a mostly clear golden color with an orange hue. There is almost no head which is to be expected.

Smell: Just a bit tart with mild vinegar and lemon juice notes. I'm getting a mild hint of sulfur as well.

Taste: Smooth ant tart, but I wouldn't say this one is bright. The taste is better than the smell. Some mildly peppery oak with a tart and slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: The body is medium with hardly any carbonation. The finish is rather dry.

Overall: This is nice enough but I preferred the 2 year old blended lambic that i had the same day. I'd have more.

oline73, Dec 14, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

A – A very clear deep yellow, no lacing at all on this beer.

S – I got some old cheese and lots of funk in the nose of this beer.

T – A very deep roasted bread quality.

M – Medium bodied and 100% flat, very dry. No carbonation at all.

O – I was not impressed by this beer. I wish it had some carbonation, that might have changed my opinon of this beer.

cps98, Dec 10, 2012

seeswo, Dec 10, 2012

DonFrap, Dec 09, 2012

FalconA, Dec 08, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Jspriest, Dec 05, 2012

Enjoyed at Zwanze Day 2012 at Churchkey

A: Bruocsella is a viscous red-orange with a small white head. The retention is good, but the head is hardly big enough to lace after very long. 4

S: The very first aroma I get out the glass is...orange, sudsy dishsoap. It is also funky, but not particularly tart. The only fruit I get smells like dishsoap sadly. 3

T: The orange comes back on the taste. This time the beer is tart, but only underneath. Overall it leaves a weird aftertaste that I'm not terribly fond of. 3

MF: Medium body with a lower carbonation than the others we've had today. I didn't find the beer to be all that drinkable. 2.5

O: Not much else to say, I just wasn't feeling this one. 3