Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru | Brasserie Cantillon

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Unblended

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Reviews: 313 | Ratings: 810
4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

2004 edition. Wow, these are interesting beers. Pours a vibrant light orange color, zero head, and apparently zero carbonation. But even before I poured it, as I let it warm up a tad from being in the fridge, I could smell it from the bottle a few feet away. Once it's in my awesome Schlitz snifter the fragrance is even more pronounced. Major funk, dirt, spices, lemmon rind... burns the ol nose hairs if you take a huge sniff. First sip; the taste is much more subtle than I was expecting. Much less intense or sour than their gueuze, which at first threw me off. However, I think since your tastebuds aren't attacked there's more room for unique flavors to present themselves. Wow there's a lot more here than I originally thought. There's a real wet hay taste to it, mixed with freshly cut grass. Also, lemon juice and citrus, along with some spice (maybe even a hop or two thrown in there). I'm also getting some distinct saltwater action, like taking a gulp of the ocean. Everything hits you again in the aftertaste, which lingers. Incredibly light and smooth mouthfeel. A really interesting beer, one you could taste again and again and find new and challenging things.

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Crashed a large party with this one on 4/22/2005. 10.5-oz. goblet pour at Redbones.

Swirling film of ghostly head with spots here and there. Very light golden hue with just a slight wash of haze and no discernible action. Real tangy lemon on nose with some flocculent yeast hanging in there too along with some apricot essence. Lemon/lime juice on mouth with some kind of yellow flower bite and a fairly light body.

This was my first sample of a Cantillon, and I could see where a couple of these would make you want to get up and boogie; must try more by these folks.

4.72/5  rDev +20.7%

I found this beer very special. I had the entire 750ml bottle to myself so I had all the time to take in it’s subtle aroma’s. I had already heard a lot about this one on the BA site, but it was time to taste it myself. In the menu at Den Stillen Genieter it was the only real Lambic on sale. (Already something special.) It was described as a beerwine? Strange. When I opened the bottle a very nice sour smell came towards me. Nice! The first taste explained why it was described as Beerwine: It tasted like wine, but with a strong hop taste. It had a very strong sour grape taste and aftertaste. Every sip makes you doubt between bad wine or sour beer. This is one of those beers that are so un-commercial nowadays. They are considered to be for the beer aficionado’s. Shame because Lambic is one of the oldest Flemish beers. I am very fond of it’s unique sour dry taste, just like I love Faro. Now I know why all of you on the BA website where so fond of this one. The flavour is so simple to describe and yet it is so rich! The colour though is a quite dark yellow. Not very wine like. And it isn't really very carbonised. All this makes that it pours in very smouthly.

Ut vivat, crescat, floreat!

3.82/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearence: Pours a glowing orange with a thin beige head.

Smell: The smell is woody and fruiy, but no specific fruit is the focus. Very balanced.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is very tart, but very yeasty. The rustic feel is overpowering, and doesn't blend too well with the sweet and tart flavors. But still, it's very unique and interesting tasting. The oak aging is appearent, but not the focus, which is kind of refreshing. The mouthfeel is fizzy but smooth.

Drinkability and Overall: This is a very unique beer, different from any other lambic I've had. It still has the lambic qualities but without the fruit focus. According to the back, this is the onlytru unblended lambic you can find. Really? Well, at least it's a good one.

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this on tap last evening. The brew was poured to a cloudy brass color with no head what so ever. The smell was tart, as my wife said it reminded her of sour patch candy, also notices earthy like aroma. The taste was quite sour and also had wine like highlights. As the brew warms the tartness comes out more and more. Also notice what I believe is a oak like taste that seems to complement it quite nicely. Over all it was a good brew, just not my cup of tea. Would try it again, but not regularly.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured from a corked 750 ml bottle. I was a little worried because the side of the bottle was sticky, and the cork crumbled when I open it, but everything turned out fine. This beer pours out a hazy orange with a great deal of floaties. No head at all. The aroma is sour, typical lambic. Not quite as funky as some, but the funk is still there. Sour grapes and lemon. Acid burns the throat. This unblended lambic is not as complex as some gueuzes. No carbonation, but it's still easy to drink, even with the mouth puckering. A little thin, but very flavorful. Not the best from Cantillon, but a very good beer.

2003 vintage.

Appearance: Pale straw, cloudy. No head retention at all (not unusual for lambics, I know, but it still looks limpid).

Aroma: Iron, oaky, almost vinegary smell.

Intensely sour, with some citric flavors that give it a taste almost like concentrated lemon juice. Vanilla, oaky, leathery, earthy. Very very dry.

Thin, watery mouthfeel. Very light bodied.

A wonderful treat. Very complex and satisfying.

3.22/5  rDev -17.6%

02/06/05- Purchased at Beltramo's in Menlo Park, CA

Presentation- 750ml bottle shared with BA members at my Super Bowl Party last night. No expiration date listed.

Appearance- Not sure what a true lambic is supposed to look like. Kinda an orange-peach colored pour with absolutely zero head and about the same in lacing. I gave it a 4 in appearance, but I could re-rate it after trying other true lambics.

Smell- Guess I finally figured out the barnyard funk smell. My fiancee is from Montana and grew up on a cattle ranch, and she confirmed that it kinda smelled like a barn, a dirty barn! To me it smelled like a skunky-honey and baby poo diaper. Yet I liked it! I don't know why, but I did. I think there is a bunch of lemon and heavy citrus scents also.

Taste- Well, I was expecting this to be the most sour experience of my life. I had one of the Cantillon lambics at the Toronado about 6 months ago and spent $10 on a 12 oz pour. That was some sour ass shit! I literally had to chase each sip with a gulp of water to keep from gagging. Well, I was expecting the same here. Turns out all Cantillon's are not super sour. This one was sour, but not anything compared to the last one. Maybe I had the Iris or the Vigneronne. It was very watery and dull. Had a weird taste of latex or some weird tupperware taste. A bit stale. Not fruity at all. Very disappointed in this one. At least the other one had some fruity zing to it.

Mouthfeel- Ultra low carbonation and a watery mouthfeel. I know the carbonation was right, but the watery part?

Drinkability- I'll pass on this one. It was the cheapest of the Cantillon line when I bought it 6 months ago at about $12. Hopefully my next try will be better. Not even giving up on them yet.

3.44/5  rDev -12%

Cloudy golden yellow, very hazy, no head. Sweet honey nose with strong brett profile. Kiwi, lemon, grapefruit and mostly pineapple make for a dynamic fruit salad. Horsey funk, salt, ink, lactic and big rubber tones make up for funk lovers. I couldn’t dig the flavor so much, plastic and rubber are a bit too dominant. I’m not one to complain about crap, leather and the likes, but I find no interest in plastic... Astringent and citric grapefruit/pineapple juice. Still body, juicy and funky. I expected more from my first unblended lambic experience..

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Out of a capped and corked 750ml split with a friend. It pours out very mildly carbonated with no real head to speak of, a few bubbles cling to the insides of the glass at most. The body is thick with haze and is an orangish shade of amber. The nose is alive with damp hay, musty oak and sour funky aromas. Sipping this brew is almost a shock at first and even when you're used to it will still come back and slap your tongue around a little bit. Initially a bit astringent, mid-palate the funky flavors of damp earth and hay appear alongside musty oak and then intertwine and are eventually eclipsed by face-caving tartness that lasts through the finish where it is met a with the flavors of grapeskin. I can't even really describe everything that goes on in this beer but it is a wonderfully complex experience.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

Upon it disembarking the 750ml green bottle resides in the glass a beclouded straw color with a smallish off white head and the resultant lace a thin but sealing sheet. Nose is tart, with hints of sour apples, citrus like in its crispness; start is dry and sour with the top light. Finish continues the devastatingly tartness, dry as a bleached desert bone, and the aftertaste lingers long, a true lambic lover’s brew that you will love or hate, I love it, but beware its not meant for everyone even if you like most lambics

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

Cantillon Broucsella (1900) Grand Cru (750 ml):

OK, let’s see what all the noise is about…my first lambic makes this a difficult review. Initially, Champaign like aroma…orange hue, the color of apple juice with a slight haze. Nice restrained head, that dissipates quickly to gossamer film. An uncertain smell is heading my way…slightly rotten and warmed apples perhaps, with a funky undertone that is hard to verbalize…earthy… peach-pit perhaps? Sour on the tongue, but not at all what I expected (not sure what that was). Dry as the day is long. Paired ungodly well with Stilton…never have I experienced such a perfect food/drink compliment. Drinkabilty here is an enigma. With a taste of stilton, I could easily down the 750 ml before me now and blissfully sit here and just let the warmth flood over me in harmony with all that is good (damn, I can now only imagine this lambic with a black truffle fettuccini Alfredo…freakin’ beautimus). Absent the stilton, while the tartness keeps forcing my hand to take another sip, the funk distracts and drinkability proportionally suffers. But somehow I’m still just diggin’ it.

Cheers...

4.44/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been waiting to try this beer for awhile. FYI in MA you can get it at Colonial Spirits in Acton. Pours out yellowish-gold and completely flat. Looks like apple juice. The smell is wow, tart! Bad apples and fruit squeezed for just the just. The taste is like a flat gueuze but more complex. Seems sweet in the start, fruity in the middle and tart in the end. The aftertaste is very dry.

What a complex yet well balanced beer. I really like it but I think I like the gueuze better. Cheers to Cantillon for keeping the tradition alive and well! FYI...Vintage 2003. I guess I couldn't wait any longer.

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%

2001 vintage

Pours out a strawish color with little to no head. Tastes big and sour just as one would expect a true lambic. Cantillon keeps putting out some of the best lambic in the world and this Grand Cru Broucsella is no exception. But you either like the beast or you don't. If you do like the sourpuss lambic, you won't lose with this one.

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

Flat entry. I simply didn’t expect this, nor did I care, if this lambic had a head or not. Nice, light orange color.

Dry, deep woody notes in the nose with notes of grapefruit, lemon, white grapes, green apple, leather and flei infested horse hair. Much more approchable than I was expecting.

Flavor begins with deep wine-like tannins and damp wood. Next comes the superbly woven fruit notes, mainly grapefruit, green apple and orange. The finish is dry, metallic and very acidic. More lingering and sour deep wet wood notes linger on.

This lambic is everything and more of what it is trying to be. The gods blessed this barrel well. Phenomenal.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

2003 vintage.
750ml capped and corked.

Absolutely and totally without head or carbonation. Peach colored with the slightest haze, lending a further fuzzy peach appearance to this beer.

Smells of sharp rotted citrus fruit and tool shed. Musty and earthy.

Initially sharply acidic. Held on the back of the tongue, it's just like lemon juice that you buy in a bottle. Slightly sweet when held on the front of the tongue, with earthy mushroom forming somewhere deeply hidden. Jaw-clenching sourness when rolled to the sides, with explosive crab apple and drawing tannins. Very, very dry in the finish, with acidic lingerings long, long after the swallow.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Sampled on tap at Red Bones. Listed as "Cantillon Grand Cru".

This lambic poured a cloudy, golden color with thin white foam that settled. The smell was a tart, musty, gueuze-like aroma. The taste was sharp and tart with some musty and vinous qualities. Some tanins could be tasted in the astringent finish. The mouthfeel was sharp and tart and dry. The body was medium with moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel had a sublime quality and the dryness and flavor lingered nicely. This was a very nice lambic.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Had this on tap at Redbones...pour was a cloudy apricot color. Aroma was of sweet sweatsocks. I found the taste sweet to start, but sort of hit a tannic, or leathery wall...intriguing. The beer became a bit more tart as it warmed up, with horseblanket notes coming on strong towards the end. A beer I need to do more 'research' on, definitley not for the faint of beer palate.

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottled in 2003, so says my cork.
Marvelous, golden, peachy color, hazy as she comes, with no head to speak of...nose is sour, lemony, musty, a bit of vinegar and orange peel, and some spiciness...and stil a little dry...some complex stuff, so far!
Oooo! Sourness grips the tastebuds, claws fast like an eagle's talons as it hits the tongue, bumps and climbs and cavorts all over the palate, one restless little brew we have here....it mellows some, plays gamely in the mouth afterwards and settles, sour has put down it's pistols and is laying it out lightly now...but, with each subsequent sipping, the dance begins again, a blitz of a ballet in the mouth, a whirl of a dervish...
body is light, but flavor is huge, and the impact on the senses is enormous, with a softly sour lingering finish.
A relentless masterpiece, this Bruocsella 1900 Grand Cru, a bold, yet benevolent fellow. My mouth won't know quite what to do with itself when the bottle is gone.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

Bottled 2003.
Clear, dull golden and headless.
Oaken nose infused with Pino Grigio, acetic acid, leather, and fertilizer.
Begins modestly tart and grows from there. Gentle fermented white grape tartness and acidity up front. Mildly vinous. Sour oak traits pile on. Straight-up lemon-lime juice later. It's getting face-twisting now. It clings to the entrance of the throat and just burns. So acidic. Bile and urine. Funkiness is found in small doses, around the periphery. Mushrooms, and generalized farmhouses. Small yeast pour adds some white pepper spice. Absolutely bone dry.
The acidity is king here. And a mighty one.
Lightish bodied, but firm, uncarbonated and wine like.

Fabulous stuff.

Big thanks, Bighuge

Bottled in 2003. Pours a clear golden straw with no head at all.

Smells quite musty and sour. I get a bit of that wet blanket smell that others speak of and some very subtle floral notes as well.

Tastes exceptionally sour and tart. Lots of citrus. Lemon dominates with some orange, canteloupe, and grapefruit as well. It's a little bit of a shock to the mouth at first but I quickly grow to like it. Finishes dry with some more mouth puckering acid.

Mouthfeel...hard to say. This is my first real lambic. It's moderate and enjoyable.

I think I could drink this from time to time. I'd like to explore the rest of the Cantillon line.

4.37/5  rDev +11.8%

Being an obsessive Cantillon fan, I couldn't pass this brew up when I first came across it. It comes in a capped and corked 750ml bottle, with a note from the brewer on the back stating that this is the only unblended lambic available. Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with no head - this beer is as close to uncarbonated as possible. The nose is full of oakey, earthy notes, with just a hint of the sourness to come. Taste is as sour as can be, with some barnyard notes and a firm oak backing. The body is light, and the acidity makes the beer jump off the palette and leaves you ready for more. An amazing, unique brew, although I must admit the traditional blended geueze is a little more my style.

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%

Poured a clear golden yellow, no head. Smell is of oak, musty barnyards, sour vinegar, and an almost "clean" scent that I can't quite place. The taste is fantastic. Massive depth. The oakiness smooths the entire range of flavors and unites them into one unified tongue demolishing front. Lactic and acetic notes predominate and the finish smoothes over with a rich tannin quality like a dry white wine. The mouthfeel is interesting, but I think I'm just not used to beers with purposefully no carbonation. It is a cascading array of flavors and tastes. Truly an exceptional beer.

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first straight lambic.

Cantillon Broucsella 1900 was served from a 750 ml corked and capped bottle, with a festive scene depicted on the label that perhaps hints at the what is contained within. The cork indicated a bottling date of 2002. In a white wine glass, the lambic was a lovely deep and brilliant golden honey color, and was decorated with a thin ring of fine white foam that left fine lacing that coalesced into numerous small spots. Scarce small bubbles were observed eminating from the bottom of the glass suggesting a low level of carbonation. The nose was a labyrinth of sweeping oaky and earthy dimensional tartness, with notes of lime tinged sweetness. Wonderfully entrancing and charismatic, this was worth the price of admission alone. The flavor experience started off smooth and docile, but quickly sprang open with mature woody must-coated grapefruity sourness that increased in intensity as it tingled the palate from front to back, with a touch of sweetness peeking through the acidity from time to time This wonderful sensation hangs for several seconds before transitioning into a dry tannin-soaked vinous finish. The body of the lambic was silky smooth and full, in contrast to many of the geuezes I have sampled. Indeed there was a very low level of carbonation, which I felt was just right in this case, though I do enjoy the high carbonation level found in geueze also. I found the lambic to be highly drinkable, as the flavor profile was very mature and non-prickly. This was an excellent first experience with straight lambic. Thanks to Jean-Pierre Van Roy for releasing this fantastic product.

After describing the unadulterated lambic, I enjoyed the rest of it with stinky mushroomy/earthy French cheese smeared on slices of French baguette....excellent!

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottled in 2003.

Underneath nary a head (bubbly and white) sits an inviting golden liquid of pure unblended real lambic. Aroma is of wool, acetic acid, lemon and hay, must, lime, dew and a slight funky barnyard character as well. The carbonation is very low. Almost negligible. The flavors of this tart beer are surprisingly refreshing. The acidic nature offers a bit of a bite, but the flavors blend together nicely. Lemongrass, vinegar, funky barnyard stuff, aged hops, army blanket... And bone dry. And that's an understatement. Yeah, this is lambic. And a good one at that.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon