Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottled 10/2008

Pours completely flat, of course (though I have heard it can carbonate with enough time and the right conditions). It's is strikingly clear and a very pretty goldenrod color. Can't fault it for the lack of head and it looks great otherwise.

Aroma is epicly funky. Tons of stinky cheese, barnyard, enteric, and mushroomy.

Tastes of hay, Cantillon funk, tannins, goat stables, tart apples and lemons.

Mouthfeel, appropriate to style, but just isn't as good as if it were carbonated. Almost wine-like?

This was very complex and delicious, but it's too bad they don't release a single batch 3 year carbonated lambic :)

3.92/5  rDev 0%

My brother came back from Belgium with a bunch of beer for me. This is one of those bottles. Poured into a Cantillon glass.

Pour is a hazy light golden color, bordering yellow. The beer almost glows. Pretty. No head to speak of, though this is expected.

Smell is quite nice. Funk, old attic mustiness, a zip of lemon and apricot. Has the Cantillon signature aroma.

Taste is good. I like this quite a bit, but not nearly as much as some of the other, fruit, lambics. Sharply tart, uncompromisingly so. Not quite as sour as other brews I have had, but this isn't for a beginner either. White wine character, a bit of lemon, and a slight earthiness.

Mouthfeel is just okay. I know it's supposed to be uncarbonated, but damn, I don't know that I like it that much. On the thin side, kinda lifeless.

Drinkability is pretty good, however. It's not so sour to destroy your palate. My share of the bottle is gone pretty quickly.

A good beer, but more challenging than enjoyable really. I greatly prefer other Cantillons that I have had. However, the worst of a great lot is still quite good. Worth a try if you're into lambics.

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%

thanks to stormking47 for sharing this bottle poured chilled in an ale glass.

A -A light golden shade w/ good clarity and light cap of white w/ a minute bead, no lace to speak of

S - A smell that has a complex array of aromas including wood, sour white grapes and a lactic lemony scent with mild leather and sweet meaty notes w/ light cheesey quality that is funky and nice at the same time w/ tobacco and sour white grapes w/ a mild citrus rind

M - The feel is great with both sweet and sour represented, not very carbonated and pretty high acidity, but it finishes dry and has mild tannic astringent puckering palate effect like a sweet tart that I enjoy

T - The flavor of sweet tarts w/ lemony bitter and mango sweet flavor with a pepper tinge and slight funk underlying the taste w/ mild kumquat juiciness accented by the hint of wood. The slight bitter tinge is compounded by a gentle pithy element in the sour dry finish

D - I loved this but it was headspinning with all of its unique attributes with lots of complexity it was not a smooth ride, but enjoyable and intense which I like in sour beer - probably my first taste of unblended lambic but tasty all the same
M - The bitter

750ml bottle, I think it was bottled in 2007. Pours medium orange, almost no head, but little bubbles throughout and a fine white ring on top. Nose is very Cantillon, sour citrus fruits, dried herbs, really sour and funky. Light carbonation in the mouth. Classic Cantillon expression, big, funky, barnyard. Lemon and dried sage, dried mint. Of course really sour and dry, not as effervescent as the Gueuze. Pretty refined and nuanced.

Poured from 25.4oz bottle into 250mL Jenlain flute glass. "Bottled: 9 March 2010"

Appearance: Pours a somewhat cloudy, tan, apple-juice color with no head and only hints of visible carbonation.

Smell: Smells a lot like chardonnay, but has an additional musty hint to it and a note of apple juice.

Taste: Begins with sweet and tart apple, finishing with white wine tartness and a musty flavor in the back of the throat.

Mouthfeel: Very dry throughout- the only beer I have had which I can say was dry from the beginning until the end. No real carbonation to speak of. This is both dry and refreshing at the same time.

Drinkability: A very nice, and very tart beer. Lambics are truly one of the most unique beers out there- this beer was my first non-fruit lambic, and I enjoyed it. This isn't a beer I would drink often, but I could see myself having random cravings for this then seeking it out. Certainly worth a shot, and I look forward to more future lambics.

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a tulip glass bottled 9 March 2010 in a 750ml bottle.

A - No head. Pours a nice solid peach orange color.

S - Tart and citrusy with some slight lemon, orange and grapefruit aromas. Some vinegar as well. Some slight sweetness is felt as well as some Granny Smith apple.

T - Tart and funky flavors. Slight grapefruit and sour orange. The funk and farmhouse flavors in this beer make it very interesting along with the tartness.

M - No carbonation, smooth and light bodied but very complex.

D - Refreshing and enjoyable. The lack of carbonation through me off a bit.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Had this with friends at Novere Res. Poured into a Cantillion glass. Pour is a hazy golden with a slight orange hue. No head and zero carbonation on this. I had trouble picking up anything at all on this. Earthy tones and tart apples but I feel like I might be reaching. I couldn't get a lot but it was nothing unpleasant. The taste was sour and earthy with tart fruit to it. A bit of funk made this a nice complex and enjoyable beer. The mouthfeel was interesting. With no carbonation it was smooth and easy to sip. Nice and light and enjoyable to finish the night.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottled in 2009.

Shared by chswimmer in celebration of Arbitrator's graduation. Congratulations, Arbi. After five years you finally have your GED. The world is your oyster.

A still life: ambrosial funk, white wine grapes, fresh lumber, and citric exocarp. Yellow and immobile in the glass. Slim in body, but not thin. The stillness of the beer is compensated for with generous structures of oak.

An eminently drinkable lambic.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a Chimay glass--bottle dated 16-Nov-2009

Appearance: orange in color, clear, minimal head, low carbonation

Smell: sour mix and oak--very white wine like

Taste: sour mix, big oak, alcohol, and light fruit

Mouthfeel: slightly sour, tart, dry, light body with low carbonation

Drinkability: A very different brew. My first reaction was I really like the way the oak mixes with the sour. After the sourness numbed my tastes some, I realized how much this tastes like a good dry white wine. This one is a sipper and I would be curious to get it on draft. However, I am not likely to pick up another bottle at the price point. A good solid beer that is worthy of trying--at least once.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

like other reviewers have said, this is kind of a hard beer to rate, seeing as there really aren't that many unblended lambics available to us here in the us, or period for that matter - despite what the bottle says, i can think of two other, and i'm sure there are more. there is no head, but i wasn't really expecting one, just a nice, hazy, burnt gold beer. Nose is delicate and subtle, but complex and definitely opens up as the beer airs out. i get lemon, preserved lemon, grape, grapefruit, sour milk (just a touch), wood and cobweb on wet rock. pretty awesome actually. really evokes a sense of place. the taste... woah!! taste is sour, lemony, oaky... with a cobweb on wet, musty cellar wall finish. sounds strange? it is, but equally awesome. slick, medium body with a tang that holds. not so sure yet where lambic/geuze fit in to my repertoire, but the authenticity of the flavors are becoming extremely alluring to me. not for the faint of heart, but a really interesting treat when you're in the right mood.

2.94/5  rDev -25%

A= The pour is a nice hazy yellow color with a slight amber tinge to it in the deepest part of the glass. The head is pretty much non existant which is a little dissapointing. There is a thin ring around the glass with big bubbles.

S= The smell is sour lemon and maybe some feet? There is a decent amount of oak in it as well but no vanilla coming from the wood. Exactly what I would expect from an unblended lambic. There is also a good amount of earthy odor coming from it.

T= The taste is very very light. Much like a white wine. There is a slight sour lemon taste to it. The earthy taste is still there a little bit but not much. The feet smell doesn't come through in the taste at all. There is a conciderable amount of tannins as well.

M= Super dry. Astringent. No carbonation.

D= Hmmm. This Cantillon actually dissapoints a little bit. A lovely brew but not an unblended lambic in my humble opinion. This resembles a white wine. It isn't carbonated at all and the tannins and astringentcy really take over. Interesting but not for me right now. I'll prolly throw one in the cellar for fun though.

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

A: The pour is a golden/yellow straw color with maybe a kiss of orange. No head at all.

S: The nose is quite grassy and "green", if you will. Some lemons, green apples, and a definite earth. Not the most aggressive of the Cantillon's in terms of nose.

T: The flavor is a bit bland as well. Fairly earthy, some mild mustiness, and grapefruit, lemons, and oak pretty much make up the flavor.

M: The body is medium with a slick feel on the tongue due to the relative lack of carbonation.

D: Probably the most lackluster of all the Cantillon lambics I've had. Not much depth of flavor, but perhaps I need to try an aged bottle of this.

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Lindemans lambic flute.

Thanks to monsterzero for this bottle!

What's the 1900 for? This beer pours a clear golden straw topped by a sad cooagulation of bubbles that just barely qualifies as a head. And the government's not entirely convinced (I smell sitcom!). The nose is sour...I know, how can you smell sour...but, yeah, if you smell something sour, it smells like that. Heavy on the must, sour grapes and berries, and a hint of cobwebs. The taste is similar, but the sour is toned down, fading to an almost prickly sweetness in the end, not unlike some wines I've had in my day. The body is a heavy light, with very little carbonation and a smoothly fluid feel. Overall, though I haven't had all that many unblended lambics, this one's not near the top of my list.

EDIT: It was brought to my attention that 1900 was the year in which Cantillon was founded. The more you know. [Insert shooting star graphic here]

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My original review below mentioned a lack of interest in picking this up again. Well, I cheated. Bottled 07 Sept 2007.

Pouring a clear orange with no head or carbonation, this beer is pretty much what an unblended lambic should look like. As for the nose - this has a big, woody, funk. The wood character is more than I've come to expect from Cantillon, this is almost Drie Fonteinen-like. Rotting wood, a little bit of cork, oak, a little vanilla and plenty of funk. Musty, dusty, cobwebs and damp basement, moldy and funky with wet leather. Excellent stuff.

The palate opens with a big sourness, lactic and sharp lemon-rind like. Actually the sourness is initially so intense, it's grapefruit like. The sourness quickly gives way to a musty, funky, damp basement funk. Wet driftwood, wet forest floor, a little mushrooms, the flavors are excellent. Drying on the finish with a mellow tannic character. Despite spending as much time in wood as it has, it doesn't get a harsh tannic character. In fact, it doesn't even get close to some of the more acclaimed Drie Fonteinen lambics! Drying and lactiic on the finish, there's a fantastic complexity with wood, must, wet earth and wet leather (maybe some wet dog too, on par for the course). Carbonation is low, as expected, this feels really great on the palate. Unlike the Jubel 2010 which lasted 2 hours, including the first 75 minutes of the 3rd place game, I don't expect this to last the hour. Marvelous stuff.
My only complaint is that the label is inaccurate. By claiming that it's the only unblended lambic in existence, it fails to acknowledge the existence of the De Cam Oude Lambiek, one of which I am in possession of.

Original review dated 23 August 2008,saved for posterity
From notes, split with 2 friends of mine. 2005 vintage, into my Ommegang tulip

A: Hazy yellow with no head and carbonation 3.5

S: Mildly funky, oak, vinegar and lemon. Pretty woody and mildly musty 4

T: Sour, funky, complex, lemon rind flavor. Some oak. Dry finish 4

M: Flat but surprisingly thick for a lambic. Bitter lemon peel on the finish 4

D: Decent stuff, not sure I'd pick this up again 3.5

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottled November 16, 2009.

The beer pours a clear orange color with a small white head. The aroma is awesome with very tart lemons as well as some oak notes. The flavor is pretty good, but not near as tart or sour as the aroma led me to believe it would be. I get notes of lemons with some oak. The beer is extremely dry. The only real problem I have with the beer is that the body is extremely thin and watery. The carbonation is very low.

Bottled 8/28/09

A - Pours a hazy gold, no carb, no head.

S - Barnyard funkiness, citrus, sour apple, pear. Oak.

T - Obviously sour and tart, sour apple, straw, "funk". Nicely balanced and complex.

M - Light bodied with minimal carbonation. Very crisp and refreshing. Dry finish, similar to an oaked white wine.

D - Very nice in small quantities, split this bottle between 5 people and we were all happy with out samples. Had this after dinner at a tapas bar, found it to be a great digestif.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

November 2009 bottling.

Pours into the tulip a clear golden-amber hue. It's completely still and could easily be mistaken for a glass of white wine.

The three years this beer spent in barrels is evident in the aroma. It's woody, musty, dry. It has a fruitiness reminiscent of grapes, green apples and lemon rind, along with a mellow lactic sourness. The oak lends an almost spicy and nutty note that brings to mind walnut shells and cinnamon sticks. Earthy and complex at first, the fruitiness increases as the beer breathes and warms, reminding me faintly of rotting citrus fruit (and I mean that in the best possible way). There's an almost hidden scent of wet hay beneath it all.

It's mouth-watering and fruity on the tongue, like taking a bite out of a tart granny smith apple. Tannic, leathery oak counters the juiciness, lending a strong dryness that creates and interesting dynamic. There's plenty of fruit flavor on display, from tart green grapes to apple cider to lemon flesh and peel. Acidity is strong but at a balance with the other flavors. It isn't harsh in the least, but it's certainly felt over the course of the bottle. The woody, drying, earthy tannins really take hold in the finish, giving me a mild case of cotton mouth. The stillness works wonderfully for the beer, allowing each and every nuance to have a turn on the palate and leaving the flavors lingering for minutes after each sip. Thoroughly enjoyable on the whole, this is an excellent low alcohol sipping beer with a light body but tremendous complexity.

3.35/5  rDev -14.5%

Bottled November 16, 2009

A: Pours a slightly hazy gold/orange with very few bubbles that quickly dissipate. No head, no lacing

S: Smells pretty acidic and sour. Plenty of funky aromas, hay, oak, wild yeast, maybe a little apple cider. Seems to smell a bit vinous as well- like white wine.

T: Up front I get a whole bunch of citrus. Mostly lime, lemon, a bit of grapefruit. In the midpalate, I taste some bready malt, oak, green apples and some leather. This beer is citrusy, tart, sour, acidic. Has a flavor profile similar to a white wine or rose while also reminding me of a gueuze.

M: I would say the mouthfeel is medium. There is no carbonation

D: The Bruocsella Grand Cru is pretty sour/tart/acidic. It begins to wear on my palate. Would not drink it again

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

750 capped and corked bottle, bottled 8/28/09, into a Weyerbacher tulip.

A: Bright, slightly cloudy gold body with just the slightest topping of big, transparent bubbles. Essentially still, but it gives off a sense more of tranquility than torpor. Attractive.

S: Tart and funky, with Brett, sour apple, and a bit of mustard. Understated, but enticing.

T: Starts out spicy and mustardy, then some light malt shows up, as well as wild yeast and plenty of sour, funky acidity on the finish. Quite complex, and yet beautifully balanced. I'm a fan.

M: Feels like a nice medium bodied white wine - smooth and luscious, but completely without carbonation. I've never had an unblended Lambic before, so I won't mark it below average, but I'd really like at least a little life to it.

D: It's hard to believe so much flavor can be packed into a 5% beer. I love it, and am having a great time working my way through the whole bottle. The solid tartness just keeps me coming back for more.

Notes: I grabbed this bottle (along with a Rose de Gambrinus and a Kriek) today at the only store I know of in CT that carries more than just the Classic Gueuze (thanks to Hopstoopid120 for the tip!). Wow. I like this way better than Classic Gueuze, and I can't wait to try the others. If only it had some carbonation, as I think that would help its scores in both mouthfeel and aroma. Still, this is a delicious lambic, with a terrific balance between pure sourness and complex flavor.

Cheers!

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: The pour is a hazy golden peach-apricot-straw, completely still.

Smell: Tart and musty, with a nice dose of funk and some golden raisins and concord grape juice. Nice mustiness, but it is more like a dead bottle than a nicely funked-up one.

Taste: Sour and tart, although it seems to be lacking a backbone. It is interesting to try unblended 3 year old lambic, but I feel it would benefit from blending with other barrels and vintages. Strong urea notes, also mushrooms, oak and cheese.

Mouthfeel: Completely flat, which is wonderful and enjoyable (like drinking a glass of wine). The body itself is fairly light.

Drinkability: goes down easily, probably a good thirst quainter on a hot day, right behind a bottle of fantome. Not my favorite Cantillon but that still means it is amazing.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

750ml bottled into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, golden color with a tiny bit of bubbly froth instead of a head. Lack of carbonation is obvious.

Smell: Tart citrus, a vinegary note, very slight cheese note, a subdued funk, and a lot of elusive floral and fruit notes (the only one I could pin down was pear, and even that is more of a suggestion than anything else). The smell is neither faint nor giant; it's there, it adds to the flavor, but it doesn't punch you in the face.

Taste: First sip: this is pretty sour, with--as in the nose--a nice, distinctly funky note that's very subdued. Lots of tart fruit (especially apple). Various savory and fruity flavors. Occasionally tastes quite reminiscent of the pith of a grapefruit (including the lingering flavor of the juicy grapefruit pulp or what wikipedia is telling me to call "endocarp"). Lots of lively things going on, and a very nice overall balance. I don't taste the oak aging--it may be present in the flavor, but I don't recognize its influence (whatever it's done to the beer, it's not the effect I've experienced in various types of oak aged RISs, (D)IPAs, American strong ales, etc).

Mouthfeel: Just a little carbonation (enough for me), with a slick and almost oily feel (my friend referred to the beer as "apple slime," though she liked it). Very puckering and mouthwatering.

Drinkability: Not too much alcohol, tons of flavor, and not even that palate-destroying. Worth splurging on occasionally.

Admittedly, I don't have much experience with lambics, blended or otherwise. I tried the (in my opinion) awful Lindemans fruity offerings early in my beer-drinking life, which soured (thank you) my view of lambics. I've been trying a few wild ales and lambics over the past year, and am really getting a taste for them. I thought this beer was delicious. Lots of flavor, lots of interesting mouthfeel, but nothing too overboard (and a nice, low-for-me ABV). I'm not giving it "Well, I guess it's supposed to taste like that..." 4s, but solid, "These flavors work; I want to drink this again," 4s. I'm not sure I have a developed enough palate to know a 5 in this style when I taste it, but I suppose that's the risk you take when you read unsolicited user reviews.

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

Quite an intriguing offering, equally difficult, stimulating and rich.

Presentation: 750 ml capped and corked green bottle. Front label simply designed pivoting around a classic Flemish image of a banquet, notes claiming the ultimate lambic authenticity, main description, and organic certificate. Back label offers a brief note from Jean Van Roy - Lambic Brewer - noting the aging process, how this is the only unblended lambic available, alongside assertive serving instructions. Shows bottling date (16 November 2009). Served in a large wine glass.

A - Faintly hazy deep gold to pale amber pour, no head to speak of instead some short lived surface bubbles as a result of the pour. Looks nicely enough, maybe great for the style, but it is not particularly attractive out of the blue either.

S - Rich nose with an acidic fermented fruit sense. Apples, vinegar, white grapes, sour and acidic with a soft earthy touch.

T - Taste follows with strong acidic and sour elements forming the character. It is all rather woven as a solid tart piece, not overtly complex but with a firm and an assertive structure with tart yeasty notes, no evident oak (at least not in any way like I have experienced it in other styles, it would be interesting to have a taste of this without the aging), sour fruity notes with a long earthy feel that weaves itself back to acidic and rich vinegar notes.

M - Light body that feels leaning to a medium side due to the assertive tartness. Minimal to no perceived carbonation. Nice finish with a dry acidic character.

D - Nice offer in small quantities. Unless one has acquired the taste or is in love with such an assertive acidic profile this can be quite the challenge.

Notes: To be fair within style this may need to score much higher. My lack of experience with these offerings alongside what I perceive challenges offered by the brew, with a notion of overall quality made this ratings what they are... Having said that, the brew felt like a rare, and difficult, treat: rather pleasing in small servings but with a marked sour and vinegar character that is a challenge to most palates over the long run. However if one is interested in beer varieties and experiencing a quality unblended lambic this is quite the brew. I guess that outside of its ecosystem this works best shared with beer enthusiasts.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Light orange, with little head and no lace. Typical of the style.

S: Hay, straw, barnyard funk.

T: Delicious. Smooth feel. Light citrus with a delicate tartness and present, but mild, acidity. Classic Cantillon funk and amazing flavor. Distinctive and wonderful.

M: Smooth, low carbonation level. Thin, with an acidic finish.

D: Quaffable. Another gem from the world's best brewery.

3.49/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Notes dated 3-28-09

Very Hazy yellow to Orange color in my tulip.
Ar/T -Sour, Bitter, Hops are very faint (which is typical for these "YEAST DRIVEN BEERS"). Lacto, and maybe a bit of Brettanomyces are present. Grassy,earthy notes are there.

Had decent carbonation, faint but "there"
nice acid Mouthfeel (is that considered an oximoron)

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle shared at a recent tasting. Beer is yellow and has pretty much no head. There is slight haze.

There is a strong sour aroma -- pretty one note. It smells about what I expected.

I'm not sure why I assumed that an unblended lambic would be more funky than the blended guezes but that's not the case at all. This beer is not tart, there is no sulfur character, not a lot of funk. Drinkability is high. I really enjoy this beer but its not what I expected.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon