Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

2001 vintage shared via fisherman 34. Pours a cloudy light orange juice colour, minimal head. Nose- citrus tart, old socks, dusty leather. Taste- not as sour as expected, but brings the funk in a big way. Very dry with a strong cheesiness and barnyard character. Light in mouthfeel, minimal carbonation. A very easy lambic to quaff. First unblended lambic I've tried. Very nice

oakbluff, Dec 30, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

750 ml. bottle corked and capped.Mirky golden,amber hues very thin speckled coating of a head.Very fine dark particles of yeast suspended.

Very sour fruity/acidic aromas,apples/pears slight citrus/lemony and funky yeast with bubble gum and very slight vinegar notes

Very thin,light mouthfeel,acidic,very tart fruitiness,green unripen apples,lemon rind,very earthy with wooden cask notes,very dry husky finish, vinious qualities start to finish with a slight touch of peppery vinegar aftertastes.

jcdiflorio, Dec 24, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

Reviewed on 6/11/08. On cask at Spuyten Duyvil Brett Fest, organic version. Pours a light orange with no head. Aroma is fruity, but I can't tell which fruit. Flavor of sour funk, oak/wood, cheese. No carbonation. This beer had too much funk/sweat and I was not a fan. Seems that it's better in bottle.
6/3/6/4/13 (3.2/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 20, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

Part of NEPA BC split #19.

Pours a burnt orange sort of copper color, similar to a cider, with barely any head. Looks completely flat - virtually no carbonation. There is some yeast floating around as well.

Aroma overall is very subtle, owing I would guess to the very low carbonation and lack of head which doesn't fully allow the aroma to develop. Still, it's quite sour with acidic, tart fruity undertones. It also has a nice earthy/woodsy quality.

Taste begins with some tart apple and even a bit of citrus flavor. There is a peak of acidity after which it is only slightly acidic and funky, both of which mellow out almost completely as other flavors come to the fore through the finish. Those include earthy and woodsy flavors, and especially an oaky wood flavor that is very nice. Finish is very clean, as is the overall feel. It's light in body and the lack of carbonation makes it very soft and clean. It's quite dry, and the lack of carbonation and the woodsy oak give it a sort of cider like quality, with just a bit of tartness left in the mouth to pucker the cheeks a bit. I find myself licking the sides of my mouth to get the last drops of flavor that linger.

This is probably one of the most drinkable sour beers I've ever consumed. I'm really digging it. It's clean and smooth and very tasty. Outstanding.

number1bum, Dec 02, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

3 year old straight Cantillon lambic...my curiosity got the best of me, and I shelled out the cash for this one. All in all, it was a worthwhile experience. I'd say the best aspect of it is it's accessibility, for the non-initiated Lambic drinker, this is a fine introduction into traditional Lambics. The bracing sourness is not there, the acidity isn't over the top, quite the contrary. It's subtle, smooth and very tasty.

Saturated orange, a few bubbles on top that fade to a thin ring. Signature Cantillon aroma, citrus with a funky edge of wood and horse blanket.

Citrusy lemon zest, tart with some sweaty farmhouse cheese character. The oak aftertaste has a woody cinnamon bark taste that is unique. A flat body of course (unblended lambic is without carbonation by design), but the tartness doesn't allow it to be lifeless. The tartness is approaching moderate without becoming aggressive. Easy to sip and savor an entire bottle to yourself, or preferably to introduce someone else to the world of Lambic.

emerge077, Nov 22, 2008

this beer's a hazed yellow-y orange. it reminds me of turnips or something for some reason. zero head.
the aroma is an acidic, funky, vaguely locker room-esque combination of lemon, floral strawberry, plastic, and horse blanket. it's also got some perfume-y vaguely wheat-like and barrel aged aromas.
the taste is a puckering lemon juice, coupled with some lighter airier berry flavors as in the aroma. plastic at towards the finish and aftertaste. a little vinegar like. barnyard and wet wool pervades. some oaky vanilla smoothes it out a bit, not much, but a bit. this stuff doesn't pull any punches about what it is and i feel like there is a middle ground with this type of thing either you like it or you don't. just straight up sour beer with nothing else for your tongue to grab onto.
the mouthfeel is thinner side of medium bodied and only the faintest hint of carbonation. it suits this beer though obviously.
good drinkability, it's actually smoother than i anticipated, being a pretty easy drinking experience as these types go.

kmo1030, Nov 14, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

2007 vintage bottle. Pours out with no pop when de-corking and no head at all. A vigorous pours sees some bubbles floating around. A cloudy deep yellow color. The aroma is a sour perfume-like and woody note. The initial taste is sour, but not anywhere near some of the others I've had, such as the Iris. Instead, a strong funky sourness is alongside a smooth and full sawdust flavor. As it warms a ton of flavor is released, mostly more wood infused sourness, some slight funky and citrus. Quite good. Something original and pure. Though it has no head, the body is somehow smooth and nice. It also goes down quite well.

Douglas88, Nov 13, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -6.1%

The corks says this was bottled in 2007 after at least 3 years in the cask.

a: This was a cloudy apple juice yellow. It pours 100% flat, no carbonation. I can't say it looks very appealing without a head, but I guess this is what it's supposed to look like. Moving on to what counts.

s: This has a smaller fruit profile than gueuzes I've tried. I got more barnyardy, acidic vinegar and some moldy wheat aromas. The, for lack of a better word, "urine" smells were fairly strong. But not in a bad way.

t: I think the best way to describe the difference between this and gueueze is to say that this is not as "bright". The increased acidity and mustiness make this feel heavier while the lack of catbonation makes it less refreshing. Still, the barnyard funk flavors of wet grains and flowers at least makes this interesting. Plenty of apple cider vinegar and lemon zest as well.

m: Surprisingly full body considering this is completely flat.

d: I'll treat this as a novelty I suppose. I wanted to taste where gueuze comes from and now I know. Trying this makes me appreciate gueuze all the more. My curiosity is satisfied, no more unblended lambic for me.

DIM, Oct 23, 2008

A: Hazy, cider-like colour, no carbonation or head.

S: Very tart: apple and lemon.

T: Apple cider vinegar, lemon rind, earthy-metallic minerals.

M: Very acidic, no carbonation, light to moderate body.

D: This one's a little rough for my palette.

Derek, Aug 11, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Hazy golden color with a few soapy bubbles but basically no head. Sour aroma with grapefruit and stinky cheese. Musky and woody. Flat and watery with a good body. Everything in this beer is subtle but delicious. Its drinkability is higher than most lambics I've had.

DrunkenMaster, Jul 07, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

A shared bottle with friends at the Thirsty Monk, Asheville, NC

A-Bright, vibrant golden yellow with a small white head.

S-The funk of brett! Like a gym locker that wasnt been opened in 6 months. Some acetic notes linger once you get past the funk.

T-Thank goodness it doesnt taste like it smells! Sour and acidic. A sublte wheat malt backbone, but subtle for sure as this one has Brett on the center stage.

M-Light body with a pleasant crsipness. A bit too thin for total enjoyment.

D-Quite refreshing and amazingly highly drinkable. Hold your nose and enjoy the master funk of Brett!

Deuane, May 25, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

Purchased from City Beer Store in San Francisco, CA.

A - The beer pours a light orange. No head whatsoever. A little bit of sediment at the bottom of the glass.

S - The beer is very tart, smelling of citric fruits. Mildly acidic smell.

T - Like the smell, tart, with lots of phenols. It tastes a bit medicinal. Mild cider-like flavors.

M - Watery. The style is supposed to be thin bodied, as is this brew, but the consistency is basically that of water. I wouldn't say it is unpleasant but it certainly doesn't feel like beer.

D - Not a very drinkable beer. You may want to try it to experience an unblendrf lambic but it's not something I would make a habit up, especially given the price tag. Interesting, yes; pleasant, not so much.

sessycuban, May 15, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a cloudy bright orange color. There is no head. The aroma is of barnyard, orange peel, green apples, minerals, oak, and happiness. The taste is of green apples, followed by barnyard bretta, with a dry puckering sour finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with low carbonation and a silky texture. Overall, this is a wonderful lambic. I will certainly drink this again.

KarlHungus, May 12, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

A: golden yellow, no head.

S: Nice blend of tartness, horseblanket, and a slight mustiness.

T: More tart than musty, which for me is a good thing usually. the falvors are well balanced for the style.

M: No carbonation, but it still works well with the flavor.

D: Not my favorite style. considering that it's still not as drinkable as i'd like.

chadspivey, May 10, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Feb '07 date on the back of the label. I was worried because the bottles were a little dusty, but went for it anyhow, since I loved other Cantillons...
Pours very still into a wine glass. No head, no carbonation. A nice, sunny orangey-gold color.
The smell is brett funk...that nice horse-blankety sour smell with some lemon or some other unripe fruits.
The taste is about the same. Wow...that tartness sure gets you in the back of the throat after the swallow! I love that sensation. There is a very vague metallic taste I'm getting afterwards, also.
I was a bit disappointed that there was so little carbonation, because I really think that adds to a nice lambic - those teeny bubbles dancing on the lounge before you get walloped by the funk.
I don't think I'll try this one again because the price is a bit much for my income, and I don't think it blew me away the way an $18 beer should. But it was still nice to try, especially for fans of the style.

guthrie, May 04, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I had never seen this particular Cantillon beer around, so decided that it might be good for a hot day like today. Poured in to a wine glass (as suggested) an orange amber color, with quite literally no head at all. Aroma is typical for a Cantillon brew, with lemon, grass, yeast, some funk etc. Taste is of fresh lemons, oranges, grain and some slight vinegar. This one is not quite as mouth puckering as some of the other brews I have sampled from this brewery. Perhaps the age of this beer has calmed it down a bit. Body is my only real gripe with this beer. There is no carbonation whatsoever. I suppose that is what they were going for in their comparing it to a chardonnay, but I like at least some fizz in my beer. A bottle was rather easy to drink. Not a bad beer IMO, but not something that I will be purchasing again. I will stick with the Iris.

jamie2dope, Apr 19, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -47.7%

A: Pours a clear light orange with no head to speak of. Maybe the slightest ring around the top.

S: Very pungent tart smell. It has an earthy aroma as well.

T: Extremely sour! So sour it is overpowering. I had only had one Lambic before and it was very sweet. Now that I read about this style I see that it is meant to be more tart, but I cant believe it is meant to be like this. Once I get past the tartness, it has a very dry finish after the lemony acidic sourness. This is really not for me, but I tried not to hammer it too bas since it appears this is how this style is meant to taste. I will be sure not to get another unblended lambic.

M: Extremely thin and no carbonation. If you like sour stuff maybe you would enjoy this one in the mouth. I do not.

D: Well I hate to waste beer, but most of this one is going down the sink. I tried to enjoy it, but I would rather have water than this one. Its just not my thing.

GatorBeerNerd, Apr 06, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

On tap at Falling Rock.

Poured a brilliant yellow with a small white head.

The aroma was full of brettanomyces barnyard funk, lactic acid, some acetic note, and mild cheesiness.

The flavor was pretty tart and acidic. The beer had a clean biscuity backbone (very subtle, but nice). Slight wheatiness. There was a nice grapefruit pith bitterness in the finish. Seemed a touch maltier than some other Cantillons.

The bottled versions I've had were still, but since this was on a draft system, it had picked up a nice carbonation that made it better IMO. The carbonation was spritzy the mouthfeel was light and crisp.

Very refreshing and highly drinkable. Better on tap than the bottled version.

SacoDeToro, Mar 24, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Golden-orange, apricot color with virtually no head or apparent carbonation.

Sour barnyard smell with sweet fruity tartness.

Tart, musty barnyard with sour lactic acid impression, not much fruit.

Non-carbonation works surprisingly well for this sour, interesting change from the aggressive foaming of say, a geuze with similar flavors.

BeerZack, Mar 05, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Corked with date imprinted 2004. Sampled 12/07. Aged 3 years in oak casks.

A: Poured a clear bright golden-orange color with virtually no head.

S: The nose was yeasty with sour fruit (green apples, peaches, apricots). The nose was very aromatic and perfumy with a beautiful scent of sour fruitiness.

T: The initial flavor was soured fruit (apples, apricots, peaches). There was a dominate sour peach flavor with a moderate acidic bite. The mouthful was light and slick with nice sour citrusy notes. There were some slight hints of white grapes and lemons as well. The beer was lighty carbonated per style and very soft on the tongue delivering a huge sourness of flavors leaving a moderate but crisp fade. The oaky character was very light and covered by the sourness of this beer.

M: light, oily slick texture. very soft carbonation.

D: Definitly a great single blended lambic that will leave you puckering from the sourness and wanting more. Very acidic and tart.

beerthulhu, Feb 29, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottled in 2005. Equal parts ripe apricot and amber, possibly favoring the former. A static cloud of fine yeast gives the beer needed visual interest (since the head is nearly absent). As I understand it, lambics are essentially uncarbonated, hence the lack of foam and lace. Given that it's supposed to look like this, it isn't easy to pick a score.

The aroma has a lot in common with white grape juice that is incredibly tart and acidic rather than sweet. There's also a funkiness that is much less... uh... funky than Brettanomyces and is completely different in character. I expect to like this one.

Wow that's tart! If I was an oenophile, I'm sure there's some wine that I could compare this unblended lambic to. How about a bottle of whatever white wine is most puckery, acidic and dry... mixed with a few ounces of apple cider vinegar and a shot of freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Cantillon Broucsella 1900 Grand Cru is definitely different, but I can see myself acquiring this acquired taste over time. Having said that, getting through the entire '750' won't be easy. If you like acidic, pop a few Tums, pull the cork and pour.

The thing that keeps me from loving what is undoubtedly a classic unblended lambic is the lack of depth and complexity. On the other hand, maybe I just can't appreciate it due to my relative unfamiliarity with beer of this style. In the end, I prefer the added flavor of raspberries in Rose De Gambrinus and the added flavor of grapes in Saint Lamvinus.

Like the appearance, I'm finding it hard to come up with a mouthfeel score that respects the style guidelines while still staying true to my sensory impressions. At the risk of being thought unsophisticated, it's thin and borderline flat and I don't love it.

I've heard all sorts of scary things about real lambics (not those stickysweet fruit lambics that qualify as chick beer). About how they're hard-edged, uncompromising, extremely variable from batch to batch, and so on. Broucsella 1900 Grand Cru is pretty easy to live with and the first half has gone well enough. When it's all said and done, though, I don't think I'll be plunking down the cash for another bottle.

BuckeyeNation, Feb 10, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Pours with absolutely no head and a slightly hazy golden body.

S - Musty and earthy with strong sourness. Notes of mustard, pepper and a bit of pineapple.

T - Strong, lemony acidity with pepper, mustard and oak. The earthy funk is present, but not as prominent as one might imagine. The finish is fairly mellow with lingering citrus acidity and some vanilla.

M - Medium body, no carbonation and a very dry finish.

D - It is tough to give straight lambic a drinkability rating. I don't want to drink the whole bottle and even if I did I don't think I could find enough tums to counteract the heartburn it would give me. That said, this is a nice refreshing lambic. Good complexity in the aroma (although the flavor is a bit flat) and while the acidity is overwhelming in the beginning, it finishes smooth enough to let your palate come up for air.

I had this bottle in my refrigerator for quite a while, waiting for the perfect time to open it and I finally just decided to open it with dinner tonight. I paired it with honey mustard glazed Basa fillets and Sauteed green beans and garlic. I was afraid the sweet glaze on the fish would clash with the sour beer, but it was an excellent match. It was happy surprise that the beer contained some mustard notes that further complimented the glaze. The beans were more ambivalent, but the sourness of the lambic complimented the garlic in a nice way.

nickfl, Jan 15, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +11%

Off notes from 6-2007. Pours a hazed gold with a funky nose (surprise, surprise). Flavor is a load of tangy oranges. The liquid feel is thicker than I usually expect lambics to be. It's good. Not my favorite lambic really, but still pretty decent. Just a bit too tangy for my likes is all.

RblWthACoz, Jan 03, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Hmmn. After lots of various lambics and Guezes, I believe this is my forst still, unblended lambic. I definitely prefer blended ;ambics and some carbonation. That said, it is what it is. Poured absolutely still and golden, just the tiniest bit hazy. The smell is very light, with lemon sourness up front followed by some light barnyard aromas and finishing with a spritz of acetic aroma. Taste is sour and slightly herbal up front, sorta like orange juice tastes after brushing your teeth. This is followed by flavors of ripe soft cheese and some oaky tannic bitterness. Mouthfeel is still, tannic, and a litttle puckery. Not really my style, but interesting to try.

Georgiabeer, Nov 14, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -35.5%

Cantillon Broucsella (1900) Grand Cru

A = Poured a light copper with no foam.

S = Light apple smell with a hint of apple.

T = Sour. Really sour. Initial lemon tartness followed by a slightly dry finish.

M = Coats tongue with a dryness. Little to no carbonation. Very thin bodied.

D = Not my cup of tea. Never again.

BeerNutta, Oct 29, 2007